PDA

View Full Version : Great Music - Playoffs Round 2: 1965-1969 (Bracket 2 of 8)

mae
09-29-2016, 12:49 PM
For this playoffs poll, please choose one track to move on to the Quarterfinals.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdE8LBoZ52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWF2mBT4eE

St. Troy
09-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Paint It Black

Girlystevedave
09-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Paint It Black.

Yesterday is one of those rare Beatles songs that I just never really cared for.

mae
09-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Really? That's pretty much the only one I really like from them but I have to vote against it here, of course.

St. Troy
09-30-2016, 08:01 AM
That's pretty much the only one I really like from them but I have to vote against it here, of course.

Are you saying Yesterday is the only Beatles song you like?

mae
09-30-2016, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I think. I was never a huge fan and never understood the hype.

St. Troy
09-30-2016, 08:14 AM
I was never a huge fan and never understood the hype.

It's nice not to be alone.

Jon
09-30-2016, 09:39 AM
I know I am killing the sacred cow... but I think much of the Beatles' success was due to a lack o competition in the Rock and Roll market at the time. Yes..I realize there were Rock bands at the time... just not so many. They had the market cornered. I have never been a fan though I enjoy a few Beatles tunes.

fernandito
09-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Doesn't that argument kinda fall apart when you consider that their music is still highly discussed and loved and praised even to this day?

Jon
09-30-2016, 10:03 PM
That discussion and praise requires a number of fans. I posit that they would have had MUCH fewer fans. It hasn't been THAT long ago. Half of the band is still with us. One died quite young and Harrison died short of the usual life expectancy.

Don't get me wrong; I am not a hater. I am quite fond of: Revolution, Twist and Shout, and Helter Skelter and I DO enjoy A Day in the Life as well asSgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I enjoy Lennon and McCartney's solo work (especially Ram) but Harrison and Starkey's solo work does nothing for me.

I just feel that their acclaim was artificially inflated by their exposure, lack of competition and, currently' by nostalgia by baby boomers... the most populous generation currently in the U.S; a generation that has, not only the numbers, but are in positions of influence in the media and record/music industry.. That simple.

Girlystevedave
10-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Paint It Black.

Yesterday is one of those rare Beatles songs that I just never really cared for.

Really? That's pretty much the only one I really like from them but I have to vote against it here, of course.

It's true. When I'm listening to The Beatles and Yesterday comes on, I usually hit skip. It's too flat for me.

Jean
10-06-2016, 03:19 AM
I know I am killing the sacred cow... but I think much of the Beatles' success was due to a lack o competition in the Rock and Roll market at the time.
I don't think so. I think it was mainly due to its being fucking good music, LOL. I mean, good in terms of tunes, which is not somethiing one can say of ninety percent all rock (or pop, for that matter) music ever made. Their musical thinking is above rock, much as I love everything rock.

All that said, voted Paint It Black, bears being of those who don't much appreciate Yesterday

mae
10-06-2016, 12:52 PM
The poll has closed. "Paint It Black" will face The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (1968) in the Quarterfinals.