PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Football Pick Contest-THE RESULTS

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Well, after several long months, we now conclude the 2007 Dark Tower Football Pick Contest.

Let me be the first to thank all who participated. Those who came in part way through, or didn't finish are welcome to check back next season. We'll kick things off with Week 1 as usual. :D

I want to give a special thanks to BedOfRoses and Randall Flagg. Each were instrumental in helping me keep the contest running smooth as well as limiting any errors in my calculations. Also, a quick thanks to Matt for letting us finish things off here this year. I'm fine with this being the home of next years contest as well! :)

Anyhoo....on with the results. After some consultation with a few folks, I've decided to award First Place to both Phoenix Ignition and Chasing Dragons. RUBE hung in there and wins Third Place and ARoseAStoneADoor fought hard to hold his Last Place win!

Phoenix Ignition 173-94 - First Place Winner
Chasing Dragons 173-94 - First Place Winner
RUBE 170-97 - Third Place Winner
Randall Flagg 168-99
Steve 168-99
NeedfulKings 166-101
JohnBlaze 165-102
Rjeso 164-103
BedOfRoses 162-105
Spencer 155-112
Jon 141-126
ARoseAStoneADoor 129-138 - Last Place Winner

I need all the winners to PM me their mailing address.

I'd like to keep this thread around until we've had the chance to get the trophie's made, mailed and hopefully received. That should take a couple of weeks time. I'll post pictures of the prizes before they are put in the mail.

Also, I'd like input into next years contest. Again, I like to keep it a simple Win/Loss format, but maybe we can add a few chances through the season for folks to gain an extra point or two. Or maybe it's fine the way it is. I'm sure the winner's would agree!

:lol:

Thanks again, everyone!!!! :nana:

jayson
02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks to all of you for running the contest. it was fun to play, even as a late-comer, and fun to watch and see how everyone did. looking fwd to next season [so far the jets are undefeated, whoo hooo!!!]

BedOfRoses
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Congratulations to Phoenix Ignition and Chasing Dragons for their 1st place wins! You two have made the contest really exciting up to the very end. Good job!!

Congrats to Rube for getting third place--you fought hard for that place and did such a great job picking each week! And finally, a special congratulations to Aaron. I was in your place last year, and I love my last place trophy very much (really, I do!). I'm sure you'll love it, too! :lol:

To NK, you did an incredible job putting together this contest, making it fair, and making it FUN! I love being a part of it I just want to say thank you for doing such an outstanding job. I knew I loved you for a reason. :wub: :wub:

Matt
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I couldn't agree more with the above statement. Great game, great organization.

I am very proud to host it here.

John Blaze
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
awesome!

thanks guys for making this awesome contest. And i don't need a trophy, I already know I'm the best. :P

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
awesome!

thanks guys for making this awesome contest. And i don't need a trophy, I already know I'm the best. :P

:lol: Keep saying that. ;)

I knew I loved you for a reason. :wub: :wub:

Well, it must be my good looks, because it's NOT for my game picking abilities. :rose: :rose: :rose:

thanks to all of you for running the contest. it was fun to play, even as a late-comer, and fun to watch and see how everyone did. looking fwd to next season [so far the jets are undefeated, whoo hooo!!!]

Yeah, we will see you here next year!!!!

Rjeso
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
That was ton's of fun, NK! Thanks for running this, with the help of some fine participants. :D

Also, high five to Bed for being the only other girl with guts enough to participate. you rock!

Lastly, congrats, Chris, for kicking my ass! Way to be, dude. :cool:

RUBE
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Congratulations to Phoenix Ignition and Chasing Dragons for their 1st place wins! You two have made the contest really exciting up to the very end. Good job!!

Congrats to Rube for getting third place--you fought hard for that place and did such a great job picking each week! And finally, a special congratulations to Aaron. I was in your place last year, and I love my last place trophy very much (really, I do!). I'm sure you'll love it, too! :lol:

To NK, you did an incredible job putting together this contest, making it fair, and making it FUN! I love being a part of it I just want to say thank you for doing such an outstanding job. I knew I loved you for a reason. :wub: :wub:

I second all above thoughts (except for loving NK, sorry I just don't know you well enough man). It was a very competitive game with the lead changing hands numerous times. In fact, it looked like JB or Steve were going to win for a long while in the middle of the season and back then I thought I would just be lucky to finish in the top half. Next year I don't think I am going to be so nice and let you all have such a big head start. :D

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Next year I don't think I am going to be so nice and let you all have such a big head start. :D

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

:excited: :excited: :excited:

It was fun and makes the weekend's (and occasional Thursday) a lot more exciting! :shoot:

:lol:

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
That was ton's of fun, NK! Thanks for running this, with the help of some fine participants. :D

Also, high five to Bed for being the only other girl with guts enough to participate. you rock!

Lastly, congrats, Chris, for kicking my ass! Way to be, dude. :cool:

The girls rocked! I expect more next year! :couple:

Thanks for joining in, Rj. I knew you'd be a natural. :)

Phoenix Ignition
02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Again, it was great fun participating with you all! I look forward to defending my title next year with you all as well!! What a great season!

Phoenix Ignition
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
also, congrats to chasing dragons on a first place finish! You deserve it, man!

NeedfulKings
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Trophies are ordered! I'll get pics of them when they come in next week.

Some of you will be impressed.
The rest of you will be jealous!

:P :D :lol:

Phoenix Ignition
02-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Now that's what I like to hear! :D

Chasing Dragons
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
NK and Bed of Roses!!! You guys kick so much ass!!!!!
Thanks for hosting this weekly event that I did my best not to miss! There were a few weeks where I had to scramble to get my picks in, but you guys were always understanding and fair! And, NK, I love you, too, man!!! Ha!

Phoenix!!! Dude, seriously, you got your numbers in, you deserve the top spot! What is this, the BCS!!!? No, just kidding! I am proud to be co-champs with you, sir! I mean, I know I talked a little bit of shit, but it was all in fun! I didn't think I would catch you! I also enjoyed matching my picks up to what you had.
I also look forward to defending the title!

Laura!!! I have to admit, you inspired my normally subdued competitive nature! I dig that you are into sports as much as you are! I don't believe that sports should be gender specific and it's a shame that they traditionally are. I'm sorry about Santana, btw. At least they traded him out of the division! The whole league, really!
And dude, Pau Gasol!!! Laker-dom is happy!!!
But I'm glad you were here every week!

Thanks to everyone for playing! I know that personally, it made the season a hell of a lot more interesting! Especially because there are teams that I normally wouldn't pay attention to at all! And I also think it's cool the way people react regionally to support their teams.

Oh! Randal Flagg!!! Thanks to you, too for holding down the fort and helping me get my picks in!

I'm looking forward to the trophy!

I loves you all!!!:wub: :wub: :wub: :D

Chasing Dragons
02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh shit!!!

Rube!!! I wanted to say great job to you, too!!!

NeedfulKings
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Chris, you're too kind. :) The contest is just as much fun (and frustrating, lol) for us as it is for everyone. :D I agree that games that typically wouldn't have mattered to us in the past have much relevance these days!!!!

You guys both deserved a First Place title. Even if you had picked points, I think we would have made the same decision (with approval of the winner of course).

Congrats everyone!!!!! Stay tuned.

Jon
02-10-2008, 04:05 AM
This "Bed of Roses" person...I suspect she was sleeping with the make/watcher of this thread!!!

I also suspect this treatous woman convinced the Pats coach to go for it early in the superbowl on 4th down!!!

jayson
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I also suspect this treatous woman convinced the Pats coach to go for it early in the superbowl on 4th down!!!

Nope, that was his cheater's ka come back to expose him as the fraud he is. Genius my ass!

Jon
02-10-2008, 06:57 PM
BTW...Thank you BoR and NK for all of your work!!!!

Nerak
02-11-2008, 08:13 AM

Nope, that was his cheater's ka come back to expose him as the fraud he is. Genius my ass!

:arg: :nope: :shoot: Be nice to my Pats...they may be cheeters, but they are still 18-1!!!!! And still a damn good team. They just sucked when it mattered the most :beat:

jayson
02-11-2008, 02:26 PM

:arg: :nope: :shoot: Be nice to my Pats...they may be cheeters, but they are still 18-1!!!!! And still a damn good team. They just sucked when it mattered the most :beat:

they were, but my point was bellichick is not the genius he is rumored to be. geniuses can count to 4 downs.

NeedfulKings
02-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I definitely didn't agree with the 4th and 13 play or whatever it was. Coaches make gametime decisions all the time. Had it worked, great. It's always the failures that we remember.

Jon, thanks!!! See you next year, right? :D And no,BoR (and I) were saying "kick it"!!! :lol:

NeedfulKings
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
They're Here!!!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dtn_trophy/trophies005.jpg

Give me a few days to get them packed up and mailed. I hope to have them to everyone by the end of next week.

Thanks again to all!!!! You'd better have your butts back here next year and don't forget to bring a friend! :D

Mods, you can "unstick" this if you'd like. If we can keep it active in the forums, I'd love to hear from the winners when they get their trophies.

To the players. To my wife BedOfRoses. To Randall Flagg. To Matt. I say thankee.

Randall Flagg
02-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Unless someone feels differently, I am going to leave this stickied until March 1, 2008 to give trophy recipients a chance to be proud.

FYI,

I keep my 2006 trophy right on my desk next to my monitor. I am most proud of it.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3633/dtfootballtrophyio6.jpg

NeedfulKings
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
That's awesome, Jerome! As most of you know, Bed and I have a smaller version of that trophy, being the last place winners from 2006. :D

You'll always be the first First and we'll be the first Last. :P

Nerak
02-14-2008, 07:29 AM
those are sweet!

Phoenix Ignition
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
oh man, those look sooo sweet! I can't wait to stick that on my mantle next to part of my star wars collection! I am way amped!

BedOfRoses
02-14-2008, 06:30 PM
They're Here!!!!!

Give me a few days to get them packed up and mailed. I hope to have them to everyone by the end of next week.

Thanks again to all!!!! You'd better have your butts back here next year and don't forget to bring a friend! :D

Mods, you can "unstick" this if you'd like. If we can keep it active in the forums, I'd love to hear from the winners when they get their trophies.

To the players. To my wife BedOfRoses. To Randall Flagg. To Matt. I say thankee.

Congratulations, guys! The trophies look great and I promise I will try even harder next year to win! :lol:

Storyslinger
02-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Those look great. Congrats to the winners.

RUBE
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
SWEET!

NeedfulKings
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone! I managed to get everything in the mail today!!! YAY! :D Please let me know when you get them. I'd say by early next week you should all have them.

RUBE
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
They're Here!!!!!

Congratulations, guys! The trophies look great and I promise I will try even harder next year to win! :lol:

Got mine today! :rock:

Thanks again! You can bet I will be here next year to win the big one.

NeedfulKings
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Awesome news, man!!!! :D

Congrats again!

Matt
02-20-2008, 06:30 AM
I got the coolest little thing from this in the mail. It was my pleasure to host the contest on the site you guys.

Fun little prize! I really appreciate it. I'll post a pic tonight.

NeedfulKings
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I got the coolest little thing from this in the mail. It was my pleasure to host the contest on the site you guys.

Fun little prize! I really appreciate it. I'll post a pic tonight.

:nana:

Glad to hear that you got it! They didn't turn out quite like I had hoped, but I think they're nice. :) Maybe you'll throw your hat in the ring next year and try for a trophy! :dance:

I know there's one more little prize floating around out there somewhere. 8)

Phoenix Ignition
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I am very pleased to announce that I received my award in the mail yesterday. I cannot express enough how happy I am with it and the trophy looks outstanding on my mantle. A thousand more thanks, NK for everything, on a fantastic season and beatiful prizes! Well done!! Thankya!!

...can't wait 'till next year to start defending the title!

-Kenny

Randall Flagg
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Received this unwarranted, unsolicited, but absolutely appreciated prize in the mail.
Thanks to Bill and Jeanne.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8720/p1010106nv8.jpg

Matt
02-21-2008, 02:15 PM
:o

That is what mine looks like too! I am filling my office with all kinds of cool stuff like this. It's going to end up a shrine to the site which I love :wub:

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone! I managed to get everything in the mail today!!! YAY! :D Please let me know when you get them. I'd say by early next week you should all have them.

Hey NK, I haven't gotten mine yet!

For real though, those trophies are awesome, and it speaks greatly of your kindness and generosity. It's good to know you, and I'll be here next year, kicking ass and drinking beer.

Unless I'm out of beer.

NeedfulKings
02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I am very pleased to announce that I received my award in the mail yesterday. I cannot express enough how happy I am with it and the trophy looks outstanding on my mantle. A thousand more thanks, NK for everything, on a fantastic season and beatiful prizes! Well done!! Thankya!!

...can't wait 'till next year to start defending the title!

-Kenny

Great to hear!!! I expect that we'll all be back and I hope our numbers are even greater next year. I can't wait!!!!

Received this unwarranted, unsolicited, but absolutely appreciated prize in the mail.
Thanks to Bill and Jeanne.

Unsolicited, yes. Hardly unwarranted. You were instrumental in making this happen. :)

:o

That is what mine looks like too! I am filling my office with all kinds of cool stuff like this. It's going to end up a shrine to the site which I love :wub:

Awesome!!! :D

Hey NK, I haven't gotten mine yet!

For real though, those trophies are awesome, and it speaks greatly of your kindness and generosity. It's good to know you, and I'll be here next year, kicking ass and drinking beer.

Unless I'm out of beer.

Thanks again. Ass kickin' and beer drinkin' sounds perfect!!!!

NeedfulKings
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Here's the front and back of the commemorative Key Chain. It's not quite how we envisioned, but it's not bad for a first try.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dtn_trophy/dt002.jpg

We plan to offer something like this each year to those who want to purchase one. There will be a small fee, but that's the breaks if you aren't fortunate enough to win a trophy. ;) We do have a few extras this year. If anyone's interested, drop me a PM.

We will never require, nor request any compensation for the trophies or the "thank you" gifts. It's fun. It's a lot of fun! :D

So, I think we're close to ending this season. I've gotten word that ARoseAStoneADoor has his trophy, and maybe Chasing Dragons will pop in soon.

Onto Baseball season! Go Mariners!!! :lol:

Randall Flagg
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Just a reminder, please post your thoughts, pics by 3/01/2008.
After that, this thread will be archived.

Jerome

CRinVA
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Onto Baseball season! Go Mariners!!! :lol:
Well the Mariners did pick up a pretty damn good pitcher didn't they in Erik Bedard!

However, I am still gonna say Joba Rules! Go Yankees! :excited:

Randall Flagg
03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I am going to unsticky this.
Look forward to next season.

NeedfulKings
03-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks! May this thread float safely to the bottom. :)

BTW, we got a very nice letter from Chris (Chasing Dragons). The trophy is safe, and displayed proudly.

We WILL see you all next season!

Randall Flagg
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Public thanks to Bill and Jeanne for my "prize".
Next year I win it all!