PDA

View Full Version : Latinamerican Literature

PedroPáramo
02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, this is a thread for LatinAmerican literature,
not all is just Garcia Marquez,
I know he is a master, but we have another great writters...
perhaps...
Jorge Luis Borges, Julio Cortazar,
Fernando Vallejo, Carlos Fuentes,
Arturo Perez-Reverte, despite he is spaniard xD
Laura Restrepo, Xavier Velasco
etc etc etc.

which latinamerican literature books have you read (:?

Jean
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I love Borges!

I also love one Cortazar novel, namely Los Premios (The Winners), - but only that one.

Am rather indifferent to the rest of what I've read by him or other authors that you listed.

PedroPáramo
02-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I love Borges!

I also love one Cortazar novel, namely Los Premios (The Winners), - but only that one.

Am rather indifferent to the rest of what I've read by him or other authors that you listed.

I wanted to include a lot more...but they are not traslate.
Now that I remeber Velasco it's not traslated. :lol:

Which is your favorite Borges work Jean?
I'm still angry with him 'cause he never wrote a novel:panic:

Brice
02-04-2008, 08:23 AM
I think the only Latin American writer I've read is Pablo Neruda. His poetry is truly beautiful.

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Does the Spanish version of the cat in the hat count because I bought that for my sister and her kids.

i do have a spanish story... but I'll have to go digging for it. It's about a blue owl who goes to the city...

OchrisO
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I was totally coming into this thread to mention "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" by Gabriel García Márquez, which I think is amazing, before I read the first post.

I'm such a typical American. haha.

Jean
02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I love almost all of him, except the poetry and some western-like shoot-out stories. I especially love the stories which pretend to be essays, like on nonexistent pieces of literature, people who never lived or analysis of philosophical systems never developed.

to everybody who hasn't read him yet: highly recommended!

I dread to imagine a Borges novel, though...

PedroPáramo
02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I love almost all of him, except the poetry and some western-like shoot-out stories. I especially love the stories which pretend to be essays, like on nonexistent pieces of literature, people who never lived or analysis of philosophical systems never developed.

to everybody who hasn't read him yet: highly recommended!

I dread to imagine a Borges novel, though...
It's just that I like more novels than tales. Knowing how good was he....
Anyway, just a dream :lol:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is such a good writter, I know, but it's not all. Anyway I haven't seen THE LOVE IN TIMES OF CHOLERA neither.

And Pablo Neruda is a fantastic poet

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow, I'm a beaner and I've read almost none of these guys. And I've read more Russian, German, and French literature than I should...