PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauties: new Stephen King novel with Owen King

mae
06-11-2016, 12:03 PM
As per Lilja:

http://www.liljas-library.com/section.php?id=122

On the Charleston stop on the End of Watch tour King mentioned how he and his son Owen have collaborated on a book set in a women’s prison in West Virginia. A first draft of that work has been finished which means we probably won’t see it until the fall of 2017 at the earliest. No info on what kind of book it is but the title will be Sleeping Beauties.

CyberGhostface
06-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Kind of disappointed that it's not with Joe Hill. I haven't read any of Owen's stuff.

mae
06-11-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty excited. I haven't read anything by Owen either but by all accounts he's very different from Stephen and Joe, very funny and realistic, so I will be very much looking forward to this. Always great to see King doing something different.

Dan
06-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I've read Double Feature and greatly enjoyed it. It was a different genre from his family. I think this could be interesting.

NoAttitudeThisTime
06-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Yeah, we've already enjoyed Steve and Joe together twice, let's get something different.

CyberGhostface
06-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Well they've done a few decent short stories together but I'd prefer a novel over them.

mae
09-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Just a tiny bit of an update about this novel from King's Library of Congress event today. He called the book "very long".

Bev Vincent
10-18-2016, 03:44 AM
Publishers Weekly announcement: Stephen King and son Owen King's SLEEPING BEAUTIES, a novel set in the near future, [sold] to Nan Graham at Scribner, for publication in 2017

mae
10-18-2016, 03:49 AM
Hope we get some more news soon! Maybe a spring/summer publication date?

herbertwest
10-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Publishers Weekly announcement: Stephen King and son Owen King's SLEEPING BEAUTIES, a novel set in the near future, [sold] to Nan Graham at Scribner, for publication in 2017

Shocker...

mae
10-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Well, it could've been published with Owen's publishers. I guess this may mean it's more of a King book.

mae
11-17-2016, 05:10 AM
http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2016/11/novelist-stephen-king-and-poet-eileen-myles-deliver-joint-reading

Renowned suspense novelist Stephen King and award-winning poet Eileen Myles gave a joint reading at 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 16, as part of the Althea Ward Clark W’21 Reading Series 2016-2017. The writers were introduced by professor of creative writing Emeritus Joyce Carol Oates and professor of creative writing Susan Wheeler, respectively.

“We invited both of these writers because they do something in their genres that no one else does,” Michael Dickman, a lecturer in the Creative Writing department, said. “They read on the same day by happenstance in their schedules, but it was a great combination.”

Dickman aided in organizing the talk.

Myles read a selection of her older works as well as an excerpt from her current project “Afterglow.” King followed with two excerpts from his upcoming novel Sleeping Beauties, which he co-wrote with his son Owen King.

“To tell a really good story is what is most important to me,” King said. “I think writers decide what they really think by codifying their thoughts in words.”

“It’s very interesting to see an author speak in person. With athletes or actors you directly see the person doing their work, but when an author creates art I have a bond with that art piece and not necessarily the actual person,” Jacob Sweetow ’20 said. “It was cool to bridge that gap and unveil the real Stephen King.”

“It was really awesome seeing Tracy K. Smith, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King, and Eileen Myles in the same room,” said Destiny Salter ’20.

Salter also noted that the difference between the various speakers contributed to her enthusiasm for the event.

“What struck me is the number of people at the reading today, and that’s what we want for every reading in the series,” Dickman added. “Whether you know them or not, the other writers in the series are just as dynamic and exciting.”

The next reading in the Althea Ward Clark W’21 Reading Series will consist of University student readings and will take place on Dec. 14, at 5 p.m. in the Chancellor Green Rotunda.

Lilja
11-21-2016, 06:36 AM
I'm surpriced that so little has been said about this. Did no one film it? Didn't anyone attend and could tell us what the book was all about? Usually we know a lot very soon after King has read from something new but not this time...

Lilja

Randall Flagg
11-21-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm surpriced that so little has been said about this. Did no one film it? Didn't anyone attend and could tell us what the book was all about? Usually we know a lot very soon after King has read from something new but not this time...

Lilja
I agree. Someone please help.

Ricky
11-21-2016, 02:37 PM
I don't think anyone here got tickets. There weren't many available to the public.

mae
11-22-2016, 02:48 PM
http://www.centraljersey.com/lifestyle/stephen-king-at-mccarter-best-selling-author-reads-from-new/article_2ef3ad48-b0ef-11e6-8d14-df0338a7838c.html

Stephen King gave a Princeton audience a preview of his newest work, which will be published in 2017.

The legendary author shared two excerpts from “Sleeping Beauties,” which Mr. King wrote with his son, Owen King, an author in his own right, having published such acclaimed books as “We’re All in This Together: A Novella and Stories,” and “Double Feature: A Novel.”

During his reading — which was part of the Althea Ward Clark Reading Series, presented by Princeton University’s Program in Creative in Writing — at McCarter Theatre on Nov. 16, Stephen King read the excerpts from an iPad. He explained that he and his son started working on the book two years ago after Owen came to him with an idea — a story about what would happen if all the women in the world fell asleep.

Mr. King, whose bibliography of bestsellers includes “Carrie,” “The Shining,” “Misery,” “Under the Dome,” and “11/22/63,” said the idea brought two memories to mind. His mother-in-law once told him that if you go into someone’s house and there isn’t a ring in the toilet bowl, it means a woman lives in the home. The other thought was his mother saying that no man knows how to property fold a shirt (men who served in the military may disagree).

Wearing jeans, a collared shirt, and sneakers, Mr. King was introduced by Joyce Carol Oates. Mr. King talked about the story, and a bit about writing. “One of the reasons writers write is to figure out what they think by codifying it into words,” he said. He also joked about pushing the wrong button on his iPad and losing the excerpts, “What will you do then Smartass?” he said to himself. He added that while the iPad is amazing, he preferred reading printed pages. “These are just boops and bleeps,” he said of the words on the screen. It was an interesting remark from a writer who was among the first major authors to publish an original story as an e-book, and who has published a few things exclusively for Amazon’s Kindle.

The stage was decorated with the set for a production of the musical “Once,” presented by the Lewis Center for the Arts. Standing before some wooden tables, a bar and under dozens of hanging chandeliers, Mr. King read two excerpts from the book, one from a man’s point of view, and one from the point of a view from a female character, who is existing in another dimension.

Poet and novelist Eileen Myles also participated in the reading, sharing several poems, and an excerpt from “Afterglow,” her upcoming account of a dog’s life.

Eight days after the election, it was clear that Donald Trump’s victory was on everyone’s mind. The day after the election, Mr. King announced a break from tweeting after Mr. Trump’s win. As of this writing, he hasn’t resumed tweeting, but Ms. Oates said she hoped he’d return to Twitter (and his more than 2.5 million followers) soon.

Audience members were given a paper listing the platform for Ms. Myles’ run for president, in 1992. She promised to abolish the income tax, and to tax assets instead; to refuse to live in the White House while there were homeless people in America; to write her own speeches; and to guarantee healthcare for all Americans, because she needed it to.

Ms. Myles started her reading with what she described as her “early lesbian poems,” before reading her more recent work. She then nodded toward Mr. King and said, “We’ve all got them.”

Her poems included “Failed Appointment,” about her 95-year-old mother. The poem came about after a few incidents where people gathered because thought her mother would die. It’s a serious topic, but Ms. Myles was funny and engaging as she read the work.

Another poem, “Peanut Butter” was about hunger, sex, swimming and summer (“the sensation of being dirty in body and mind/ summer as a time to do nothing and make no money”).

At one point, Ms. Myles paused to note about the election, “Not to be partisan, but... “ She then made a gesture with a certain finger.

RichardX
11-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Good grief what a sob fest. Imagine listening to these bores pout about the election. I never even heard of this "poet." I'm surprised King can carry on even with his $400 million dollars. I hope he can rally himself.

Br!an
11-23-2016, 04:28 AM
Thanks for contributing to the conversation. :nope:

mikeC
12-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Has a synopsis or plot been released about this book?

mae
12-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Not an official synopsis or anything. Just what's been posted in this thread.

Bev Vincent
01-31-2017, 08:24 AM
The book will be published in October (no day set yet)

Brief synopsis: What would happen if all the women abandoned the world? A wildly provocative novel of supernatural suspense, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is the first father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King. ​

mikeC
01-31-2017, 09:56 AM

Brief synopsis: What would happen if all the women abandoned the world? A wildly provocative novel of supernatural suspense, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is the first father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King. ​

Neat! thanks Bev. I was hoping it would be a straight up comedy novel like Owen's book but sounds cool like a reverse Y the Last Man.

mae
02-04-2017, 01:31 PM

SK.com lists October 1. Is that just a placeholder date?

Randall Flagg
02-04-2017, 01:34 PM

One would think. Sunday book releases are unheard of.

mae
02-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Right. Didn't think to check the calendar :doh:

Brian861
02-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Will there be a UK edition as well? King's publisher perhaps?

Kingfan24
02-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Personally I think this is probably the best shot at a s/l this year

nocny
02-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Moderator of SK.com wrote: "the book will be released in October but no exact date has been decided yet."

RichardX
02-04-2017, 03:14 PM

I remember King telling a story about being at the airport and waiting for his wife to emerge from the ladies room. Another guy was also waiting and it gave him the idea to perhaps write a story about what would happen if women continued to go in but did not come out. He said he couldn't figure out what happened so it never got done. Maybe this is a variation?

herbertwest
02-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Will it be via Scribner for the US?

Bev Vincent
02-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Will it be via Scribner for the US?

Yes. Publishers Weekly announced it in October: Stephen King and son Owen King's SLEEPING BEAUTIES, a novel set in the near future, to Nan Graham at Scribner, for publication in 2017, by Amy Williams at The Williams Company and Chuck Verrill at Darhansoff & Verrill (NA).

burial
03-06-2017, 02:16 AM
In UK on Sep 26th, 720 pages:

"In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place...

The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain?

Set in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women's prison, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is a wildly provocative, gloriously absorbing father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King."

Lilja
03-06-2017, 02:21 AM

"In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place...

The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain?

Set in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women's prison, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is a wildly provocative, gloriously absorbing father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King."

Cool! Where did you find that text? I was just about to post the news. Just got a press release from Hodder.

Lilja

burial
03-06-2017, 02:22 AM

Cool! Where did you find that text? I was just about to post the news. Just got a press release from Hodder.

Lilja

https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781473665194

Lilja
03-06-2017, 02:29 AM
Thanks!

Lilja

mattgreenbean
03-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Yes, thanks! Sept. won't be here soon enough.

mae
03-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Nice fat tome, cool!

Brian861
03-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Better get my UK request in now. Any word of special editions (Waterstones, Goldboros, etc)?

mae
03-06-2017, 08:23 AM
The Brits get this earlier? And aren't US editions typically more pages than their UK counterparts?

Bev Vincent
03-06-2017, 09:22 AM
The Brits get this earlier? And aren't US editions typically more pages than their UK counterparts?

The official SK website has been updated to reflect this info -- and Scribner is publishing concurrently.

stroppygoblin
03-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Catalog updated ready for released books:

US (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Sle eping+Beauties)

UK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Sle eping+Beauties+-+Trade+HC+UK)

Randall Flagg
03-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Catalog updated ready for released books:

US (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Sle eping+Beauties)

UK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Sle eping+Beauties+-+Trade+HC+UK)

Thanks. always trying to be the best, most informative, and enjoyable resource on the 'net.

mae
03-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Amazon UK has a nice placeholder image for the British edition which could have some elements of the final UK cover:

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BK6x8hymL.jpg

Bev Vincent
03-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Owen did say that they learned a lot about moths while working on the book.

Brian861
03-08-2017, 05:07 PM

:orely:

Heather19
03-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Oh man, I was just going to comment that the premise sounds really cool, and then you mentioned moths which I have an intense phobia towards... :lol:

mattgreenbean
03-10-2017, 05:33 AM
That UK place holder looks a lot like Doctor Sleep, wonder if they're going to go with that same color template?

mae
03-15-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20170315/exclusive-stephen-king-talks-new-book-movies-in-sarasota

To help celebrate its new location, Bookstore1Sarasota brought in one of the area's — and the world's — most iconic living literary figures.

Stephen King, who lives in Maine and Casey Key, visited for a sold-out book signing Wednesday at the bookstore on Palm Avenue in downtown Sarasota.

In an exclusive interview with the Herald-Tribune, King said he grew up unable to afford buying much at bookstores, frequenting libraries and drugstores' paperback racks instead.

Now that he can afford them, many people send him books for free. But he said he loves visiting bookstores, particularly Bookstore1Sarasota.

"I love to come to this place because they have everything, they hand-sell, it's well-lighted, you can browse," King said. "I can't browse as freely as I used to because people come up and say, 'Are you him?'"

He is the author of beloved, bestselling novels such as "The Shining," "Carrie," "The Stand" and "It," which were then adapted into successful movies and television series.

The author came to sign copies of his 2016 book "End of Watch," the third in a trilogy of crime novels following Detective Bill Hodges.

King has credited author and longtime Sarasota resident John D. MacDonald, including in a Herald-Tribune column, as a huge influence on his work. MacDonald's crime writing helped reject the idea that genre fiction and great literature are separate worlds — a belief King said many people still had while he was teaching a college seminar on popular fiction.

"I wanted to talk about books that were popular and still could count as literature," King said. "I taught this John D. MacDonald book in that course called 'The End of the Night,' which I still tell people to read to get an idea of what you can do with popular fiction."

King soon will have a new book, which he co-wrote with son Owen King, called "Sleeping Beauties" set for release in September. (Another son of his, pen name Joe Hill, is also an author).

The story takes place in a world where all women have fallen asleep in a cocoon-like gauze and turn feral and violent if awoken, leaving men to themselves. King and his son had initially considered making a limited television series out of the premise, but believing that would bring too many other people into the process, spent two years writing it as a novel together.

"The way that it worked was we went back and forth, like tennis, like the book is the ball," King said. "I'd have it for three or four weeks and he'd have it for maybe three or four weeks or maybe a little bit longer. He's a slower composer than I am, but he's very, very good — very sharp, very funny."

There may be a television show, anyway. King said there's been a lot of interest in the novel even before its publication, particularly with the ever-relevant topic of women's rights.

"It just turned out when we were writing this book, it never even occurred to us all of a sudden the whole question of women's rights and the way men that behave toward women (would arise.)" King said. "I think in a way what made us a fortune was that tape of Trump saying, 'I grab them by the p---y.' It just woke people up in some way."

King participated and spoke at the Sarasota Women's Solidarity March in January, which he said was a cathartic experience for everyone involved.

"A lot of us were really depressed and that thing was the day after the inauguration," King said. "And for everybody to come together and feel there was still a chance to make change and not to roll back everything that happened during the Obama years, that was good."

In addition to his upcoming book, there will be two films based on his work — a remake of "It" and "The Dark Tower" — hitting multiplexes this year.

King also has entered the streaming service game. Hulu made a television series of his novel "11/22/63" and has ordered another series called "Castle Rock," based on the fictional Maine town that frequently appears in King's writing. Netflix will also make two films adapting his novel "Gerald's Game" and novella "1922," both of which King has seen and said are terrific.

"And I've seen 'It' the film, and that's terrific," King said. "And I've seen 'The Dark Tower' and that's terrific."

Bookstore1Sarasota owner Georgia Court said this is the second time King has done an in-store book signing for the business and the fourth event overall, including two fundraisers for the Manatee County Library Foundation.

King not only did the appearances for free, he brought his friend and fellow best-selling author John Grisham to one of the fundraisers. He also accepted no appearance fee.

"This is unheard of on that fundraising circuit, totally unheard of," Court said. "He deserves all kinds of credit for his generosity to this area."

Ari_Racing
03-29-2017, 06:10 AM
http://ew.com/books/2017/03/29/stephen-king-owen-king-sleeping-beauties-cover-excerpt/

Bev Vincent
03-29-2017, 06:12 AM
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/9781501163401.jpg?w=1800

mae
03-29-2017, 06:28 AM
I like it a lot!

mikeC
03-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Hmmm, someone at Scribner really loves faces and butteflies for SK books.
Last 3 book covers had a face on the cover with a scripty font and last 2 butterflies.
I get the cocoon thing is part of SB but come on.

Kingfan24
03-29-2017, 08:49 AM
I hear you Mike - terrible.

RichardX
03-29-2017, 11:45 AM
The cover is Bazaar of Bad Dreams meets Silence of the Lambs with a dash of American Horror Story. Not awful, but a bit too slick like the marketing boys are driving the ship.

NoAttitudeThisTime
03-29-2017, 12:12 PM
I like the cover. But am wondering if the short excerpt will be in actual print of if it's just an online thing.

mae
03-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Amazon has a hi-res non-watermarked cover up:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81oZ9b9jXiL.jpg

Ricky
03-29-2017, 01:37 PM
It looks too much like the cover for Bazaar of Bad Dreams for me.

cowboy_ed
03-29-2017, 02:49 PM
A cover's a cover. Me likey words between, if it pleases.

Merlin1958
03-29-2017, 03:01 PM
A whiff of "Silence of the Lambs"? I like it though.

Brian861
03-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Be interesting to see what the UK cover will look like. I prefer most of those over the US.

zelig
03-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Also curious to see the U.K.

mattgreenbean
03-29-2017, 05:47 PM
I just feel like he deserves more respect with the cover to his books when they know they're going to make another butt ton of money. Why can't they put a little more effort into the design than this. It could have been the cover for a fifty shades of grey-knock-off-sequel-number-4 cover. This cover is not worthy of a man who is going to be remembered far far into history.

Lilja
03-30-2017, 06:09 AM
Did you all read the excerpt (http://ew.com/books/2017/03/29/stephen-king-owen-king-sleeping-beauties-cover-excerpt/)?

I liked it but they spelled the characters name wrong. Lila should be Lilja right? Must be? Yeah, I think so :-)

Lilja

zelig
03-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Must be Lilja. At least he got my name right in Misery.

Br!an
03-30-2017, 07:59 AM
And mine is spelled correctly in Desperation. :wtf:

Heather19
03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the cover either, and I think you guys pinpointed it. It is very similar to Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Did the same illustrator do both?

mae
05-11-2017, 05:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuXM6RFbiQ

Brainslinger
05-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Kudos to Owen for the Dickens reference, (Great Expectations, if I remember correctly). Rather cheeky.
Heh.

Seems an interesting premise. I look forward to it.

Brian James Freeman
05-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Another new painting by Jana Heidersdorf for the special edition of SLEEPING BEAUTIES:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17art03.jpg

Brian

frik
05-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Gorgeous!!! :heart:

sk

mae
05-30-2017, 07:21 AM
This looks like it could be a really freaky novel!

herbertwest
05-30-2017, 08:10 AM
A tiger, snakes, and a peacock : what the hell is that story??

Brian861
05-30-2017, 02:01 PM
I think it starts out, "
A tiger, snakes, and a peacock: walk into a bar......"

Stockerlone
05-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Beautiful !!!

needfulthings
05-30-2017, 10:21 PM
A tiger, snakes, and a peacock : what the hell is that story??

A Tiger, snake and a peacock walk,crawl & fly into a bar.....

Brian James Freeman
05-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Here is the Gift Edition cover (fox) and Limited Edition cover (moth) for the Cemetery Dance Publications special editions of SLEEPING BEAUTIES:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17giftdesigned.jpg
http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17limiteddesigned.jpg

Brian

becca69
05-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Brian - will the gift edition cover art be in the limited edition somewhere?

Brian James Freeman
05-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Yep!

Brian

becca69
05-31-2017, 05:43 PM

Yep!

Brian

Sweet!

mae
06-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Courtesy of our very own lord and savior Randall Flagg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeWg6Ace6lM

RichardX
06-01-2017, 04:47 PM
That was a fairly bizarre story for King to indicate that his first thought about a premise involving all women being gone was that there would be no clean toilets and ironed shirts. Wow. I hope his wife wasn't watching.

Lilja
06-01-2017, 10:41 PM
New Excerpt from Sleeping Beauties here (http://stephenking.com/p/sleeping-beauties/#s109)

Lilja

mae
06-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Another tiny except courtesy of our very own lord and savior Randall Flagg:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1496419108-Sleeping%20Beauties%20text%20of%20promo.JPG

Lilja
06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Thanks!

Lilja

NoAttitudeThisTime
06-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Was that excerpt given out or displayed at the Expo?

Randall Flagg
06-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Was that excerpt given out or displayed at the Expo?
Given out. It was a one sided (print/art) heavy paper broadside. There were hundreds of them given out. I did obtain a few.

Girlystevedave
06-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Here is the Gift Edition cover (fox) and Limited Edition cover (moth) for the Cemetery Dance Publications special editions of SLEEPING BEAUTIES:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17giftdesigned.jpg
http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17limiteddesigned.jpg

Brian

I really like these. :thumbsup:

mae
06-19-2017, 04:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmfTRJDKKk

Bev Vincent
07-04-2017, 07:06 AM
The first review is in, from Kirkus (https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/stephen-king/sleeping-beauties-king/). Read at your own risk.

webstar1000
07-04-2017, 07:11 AM
The first review is in, from Kirkus (https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/stephen-king/sleeping-beauties-king/). Read at your own risk.

I just skimmed in case of spoiler... seen "A blood splattered pleasure" and was happy.. thus all I needed to know! :dance:

Randall Flagg
07-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks. It was a very good short review that I doubt would spoil the 700+ page novel.

Brian James Freeman
07-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks. It was a very good short review that I doubt would spoil the 700+ page novel.

It's been a while since I read the manuscript, but I didn't see anything at all that might spoil the fun.

Brian

CyberGhostface
07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Really love the GE cover. Looks a lot better than the trade.

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I don't think I posted these little previews of SLEEPING BEAUTIES, but it's been one heck of a year so far and I might have:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17GIFTsheets.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17LMTDsheets.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17LTRDsheets.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/king17TitlePage.jpg

Brian

Ari_Racing
07-05-2017, 01:50 PM
NICE! SO NICE!

Tentative release date, Brian?

Brian861
07-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Beautiful!

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2017, 01:53 PM
NICE! SO NICE!

December 2017, but that is dependent on the signature sheets being finished on time.

Brian

mae
07-06-2017, 04:23 AM
The UK publisher is doing their cover reveal on Twitter and posted this tiny excerpt from the book:

https://twitter.com/HodderBooks/status/882617193636261888:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD-vqFoXgAMSh-X.jpg:large

webstar1000
07-06-2017, 04:33 AM
NICE! SO NICE!

December 2017, but that is dependent on the signature sheets being finished on time.

Brian

Brian, forgive me if answered... but when do you think Gwendy S/L will hit the mail?

Brian James Freeman
07-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Brian, forgive me if answered... but when do you think Gwendy S/L will hit the mail?

Not answered yet. :) I'll have a better idea when the signature sheets are back in my hands. As you probably know, getting Richard to sign something takes a lot of coordinating! ;)

Everything else is ready for the printer. The coins are being minted. I could have waited a while on those -- obviously, I don't need them until the cases are done -- but I was too jazzed to wait, ha!

Brian

herbertwest
07-06-2017, 07:39 AM
And here is the UK cover !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DED4jK4XcAAm6N9.jpg:large

Randall Flagg
07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Is that the full wraparound cover (seems unlikely as it's taller than the front cover), or just the front of the book in the middle of art?

herbertwest
07-07-2017, 12:28 AM
The cover wrapped with some additional art but just sharing the cover on social media?

Brian861
07-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Again, the UK trade cover blows the US trade cover out of the water. Time to hit up my dealer :evil:

Randall Flagg
07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Any idea who the artist/designer of the UK cover is?

Ari_Racing
07-09-2017, 11:35 AM
I'll probably know tomorrow and post it here.

Merlin1958
07-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Random thought. I really hope this is better than, "Gwendy's". That was VERY disappointing, IMHO

herbertwest
07-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Any idea who the artist/designer of the UK cover is?

According to the publisher's blog, this was done by the Vasava Studios.
> http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/read-an-exclusive-extract-from-stephen-king-and-owen-kings-sleeping-beauties/

stroppygoblin
07-10-2017, 12:31 AM
Again, the UK trade cover blows the US trade cover out of the water. Time to hit up my dealer :evil:

You are already 'covered' my man.. :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
07-10-2017, 05:52 AM
Full cover:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1499694589-Sleeping-Beauties-Stephen-King-Owen-King-Full-UK-Jacket-900x433.jpg

Brian James Freeman
07-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Full cover:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1499694589-Sleeping-Beauties-Stephen-King-Owen-King-Full-UK-Jacket-900x433.jpg

Love it!

mae
07-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Very reminiscent of Bazaar.

Bev Vincent
07-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Very relevant to the novel, though -- it's not an abstract representation.

mae
07-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Very relevant to the novel, though -- it's not an abstract representation.

Is there a special edition of the novel planned with a bonus bag magic mushrooms for proper viewing of the cover art?

mae
07-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Also, the wraparound in hi-res: http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Sleeping-Beauties-Stephen-King-Owen-King-Full-UK-Jacket-.jpg

http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Sleeping-Beauties-Stephen-King-Owen-King-Full-UK-Jacket-.jpg

Ari_Racing
07-11-2017, 09:09 AM
It was produced by Vasava Studio.

Merlin1958
07-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Full cover:

Love it!

Yeah, that's real nice!!!

mattgreenbean
07-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Not a fan of the GIANT FONT. But the artwork is impressive.

Brian861
07-12-2017, 06:40 AM

You da man! All variants of course :smile_002:

stroppygoblin
07-12-2017, 08:05 AM

AFAIK there is just the one. It will be interesting to see if WH Smith do a purple on this one.

Brian861
07-12-2017, 01:09 PM

AFAIK there is just the one. It will be interesting to see if WH Smith do a purple on this one.

Yes it will be.

mae
07-21-2017, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqAffl-fjg

herbertwest
07-25-2017, 01:04 AM
The traditional purple WHSmith variant
> https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/sleeping-beauties-exclusive-collectors-edition/9781473675049

https://btmedia.whsmith.co.uk/pws/client/images/catalogue/products/9781/47/3675049/xlarge/9781473675049_1.jpg

Dumb question, but why are they all purple? Isn't WHSMith blue?

herbertwest
07-25-2017, 01:05 AM
> https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/sleeping-beauties-exclusive-collectors-edition/9781473675049

https://btmedia.whsmith.co.uk/pws/client/images/catalogue/products/9781/47/3675049/xlarge/9781473675049_1.jpg

Brian861
07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
My dealer informed me to meet him in Whitechapel at a time and date yet to be determined for pick up. Should I be concerned :scared:

stroppygoblin
07-25-2017, 02:22 PM
My dealer informed me to meet him in Whitechapel at a time and date yet to be determined for pick up. Should I be concerned :scared:

Thats quite funny as I was in Whitechapel at the weekend. My first born has just moved there....

Brainslinger
07-26-2017, 01:33 AM

Thanks for posting. Preordered!

I tend to download most books to my Kindle app nowadays. I love paper books, but I just don't have the space, and the e-reader route is convenient and often cheaper. (Usually significantly cheaper than hardback books, but paperbacks often turn out cheaper for some reason. Something to do with tax I believe, in the UK. Is it the same Stateside? Don't get me wrong there are loads of really cheap books on kindle (some are even free) but not Stephen King books, in general. )

In this case the lovely purple variant was almost £2.00 cheaper than the kindle download though. And as I'm delivering to store, there's no postage to pay. And £10 for a hardback book is an absolute bargain.

Yeah, I'll find the space for that kind of deal.

needfulthings
07-26-2017, 02:47 AM

:evil: Only if they want to meet at the "TEN BELLS".

stroppygoblin
07-26-2017, 04:24 AM

Imagine if WH Smith decided to go back and reissue ALL the books as Purple Limited's.... :evil:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/medium/WHSmithReissue.jpg

Brian861
07-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Thats quite funny as I was in Whitechapel at the weekend. My first born has just moved there....

Ok, now I'm not so worried :)

:evil: Only if they want to meet at the "TEN BELLS".

:lol:

Brian861
07-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Imagine if WH Smith decided to go back and reissue ALL the books as Purple Limited's.... :evil:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/medium/WHSmithReissue.jpg

:o Probably make a killin'.

Stockerlone
08-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Stephen King - Owen King - Sleeping Beauties
German Edition
https://www.horror-forum.com/board/index.php/Attachment/2034-cover-sleeping-beauties-jpg/

Brian861
08-11-2017, 10:05 AM
German Edition
https://www.horror-forum.com/board/index.php/Attachment/2034-cover-sleeping-beauties-jpg/

Can't see the photo, Frank.

Br!an
08-11-2017, 04:39 PM
German Edition

The site isn't allowing access. Perhaps Frank can save it and upload elsewhere.

becca69
08-11-2017, 06:16 PM
So I saw on FB that the UK edition (1st printing) will have four different stamps on the boards - not good for the completist! Designs are: moth, snake, tiger and fox.

mikeC
08-25-2017, 05:36 AM
Has anyone read this yet, is it good? I'm really looking forward to it.

Bev Vincent
08-25-2017, 06:10 AM

I have -- I liked it a lot. Its an interesting blend of voices, for sure. I have no idea who wrote what.

mikeC
08-25-2017, 08:02 AM

I have -- I liked it a lot. Its an interesting blend of voices, for sure. I have no idea who wrote what.

Can you tell who wrote what in Talisman? I listening to it for like the 5th time and never had any inkling to who wrote what, unlike Black House where I thought about it from time to time.

Is there any humor to Sleeping Beauties? That's what I really liked about Double Feature

Bev Vincent
08-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Can you tell who wrote what in Talisman? I listening to it for like the 5th time and never had any inkling to who wrote what, unlike Black House where I thought about it from time to time.

Is there any humor to Sleeping Beauties? That's what I really liked about Double Feature

With The Talisman, you can safely assume that any time you are sure a certain person wrote something, you're probably wrong! I have an easier time with Black House, because I have a substantial manuscript fragment that tells me who wrote what, and I know roughly when they handed it off to each other.

Yes, there is some humor in SB -- perhaps not at the level of Double Feature, but some.

webstar1000
08-25-2017, 09:26 AM

With The Talisman, you can safely assume that any time you are sure a certain person wrote something, you're probably wrong! I have an easier time with Black House, because I have a substantial manuscript fragment that tells me who wrote what, and I know roughly when they handed it off to each other.

Yes, there is some humor in SB -- perhaps not at the level of Double Feature, but some.

Bev, does it have a true END of the World feel to it? I really like those types of novels. Thanks man!

mikeC
08-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Neat! Thanks Bev.

Bev Vincent
08-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Bev, does it have a true END of the World feel to it? I really like those types of novels. Thanks man!

Well -- it's a little bit early to get into specifics about the book. Let me say this -- there's something going on that affects the entire world, but the story focuses on one small community and how the crisis plays out there.

Brian861
08-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Well -- it's a little bit early to get into specifics about the book. Let me say this -- there's something going on that affects the entire world, but the story focuses on one small community and how the crisis plays out there.

Those small community problems can be a bitch (Castle Rock, Derry, etc)

Stockerlone
08-28-2017, 11:37 PM
German Edition

The site isn't allowing access. Perhaps Frank can save it and upload elsewhere.

https://i0.wp.com/newspress.stephen-king.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/King_Sleeping_Beauties.jpg?resize=198%2C300&ssl=1

https://www.amazon.de/dp/3453271440/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503992209&sr=1-1

Bev Vincent
09-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Enter between 12:00 AM ET on September 5, 2017 and 11:59 PM ET on September 18, 2017 for a chance to win a copy of Sleeping Beauties the day it is released (https://stephenking.com/p/sleeping-beauties/sweepstakes.php).

Brian861
09-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Enter between 12:00 AM ET on September 5, 2017 and 11:59 PM ET on September 18, 2017 for a chance to win a copy of Sleeping Beauties the day it is released (https://stephenking.com/p/sleeping-beauties/sweepstakes.php).

Thanks, Bev!

Bev Vincent
09-12-2017, 06:09 AM
I received my hardcover copy last night -- it's a freakin' brick.

Ricky
09-12-2017, 03:30 PM
:lol:

Brian James Freeman
09-12-2017, 04:23 PM

That's probably why the book had this sticker on the front, eh?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/teamlift.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-12-2017, 04:58 PM
That's why mine came Fedex ground.

Bev Vincent
09-13-2017, 06:11 AM

That's probably why the book had this sticker on the front, eh?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/teamlift.jpg

Absolutely -- there are going to be wrist injuries from this one.

booklover
09-14-2017, 12:10 PM
If you are in Illinois or close to Naperville, IL, you can see Stephen King and Owen King at Anderson's Bookshop in person on Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. CST, talking about his latest book SLEEPING BEAUTIES. You can also purchase the ticket to get a sign copy without attending too. They will be at this location: Residence Hall/Recreation Center on the campus of North Central College
440 S. Brainard St.
Naperville, IL 60540
For more information, Click here (http://www.brownpapertickets.com/ref/2991793/event/3016276)!

Randall Flagg
09-14-2017, 12:19 PM
The details read just a bit different.

Capacity is up to 5,000 people (though I was told they are reducing that to ~2,500). 400 pre-signed books will be randomly distributed at the end of the event.

herbertwest
09-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Pre-signed by both authors?

cowboy_ed
09-17-2017, 09:59 PM
I have an easier time with Black House, because I have a substantial manuscript fragment that tells me who wrote what, and I know roughly when they handed it off to each other.
Did Steve and Peter use different fonts or something? :cyclops:

Bev Vincent
09-18-2017, 03:35 AM
I have an easier time with Black House, because I have a substantial manuscript fragment that tells me who wrote what, and I know roughly when they handed it off to each other.
Did Steve and Peter use different fonts or something? :cyclops:

Different running headers.

mae
09-19-2017, 04:15 AM
A new excerpt: http://ew.com/books/2017/09/18/stephen-king-owen-king-sleeping-beauties-excerpt/

Ben Mears
09-19-2017, 04:39 AM

Looking forward to your review Bev.

Bev Vincent
09-19-2017, 06:22 AM

Looking forward to your review Bev.

I've done two -- one will be in Dead Reckonings later this year and the other in the next issue of CD magazine and online a day or three before the book is published.

Niels
09-19-2017, 12:02 PM
The UK version is already available in some stores, since last friday, in the Netherlands.
A member of the dutch SK-forum bought one in Rotterdam

https://m.imgur.com/a/Mqg0q

biomieg
09-19-2017, 12:39 PM
That's good to know, looks like I need to go out and get me a copy :)

stroppygoblin
09-20-2017, 12:39 AM
The UK version is already available in some stores, since last friday, in the Netherlands.

Interesting, it’s embargoed until the 26th in the UK...

herbertwest
09-20-2017, 03:06 AM
I wonder if I wont see any in the aiports on the 25th, not that I really care since i finished the book sunday night by 1:30am ;)

frik
09-20-2017, 04:08 AM

Interesting, it’s embargoed until the 26th in the UK...

Over here as well.
Seems some bookstores don't mind breaking the rules.

sk

biomieg
09-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Exactly. I've purchased many new US/UK King books before the official release date. I think that non-US/UK bookstores that sell English King books often receive their stock plenty in advance. Some of them just pile the books on the shelves and sell them right away.

By the way, I'm curious how many non-Anglophone countries actually sell English King in addition to the local translations. Probably not many countries besides the Netherlands (but I may be wrong).

Brainslinger
09-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Yes, I got an email recently informing me that my pre-ordered copy was on it's way to W H Smiths. That was Saturday, I believe, so I'll likely get it tomorrow or Tuesday (okay that's the 26th, so the release date, anyway).

Bev Vincent
09-25-2017, 06:33 AM
My review is now up at CD Online (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/bev-vincent-reviews-sleeping-beauties-by-stephen-king-and-owen-king/).

webstar1000
09-25-2017, 06:47 AM
My review is now up at CD Online (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/bev-vincent-reviews-sleeping-beauties-by-stephen-king-and-owen-king/).

Sounds like it is a great book Bev!!! I LOVE end of the world books!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev Vincent
09-25-2017, 11:36 AM
The Kings will be on Good Morning America tomorrow morning.

Brian861
09-25-2017, 03:29 PM
The Kings will be on Good Morning America tomorrow morning.

Thanks for this, Bev! DVR set. As I'm not an early riser unless forced. :angry:

mae
09-25-2017, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtmaxOoCeZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTvPT2ouC4

mae
09-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Strange that the book is listed as being 720 pages but mine just came in from Amazon and it's 702.

Bev Vincent
09-26-2017, 01:20 PM
The UK edition is 720 pages, I think.

herbertwest
09-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Yes, thats how I remember it

mae
09-28-2017, 02:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvBgL_-ssBo

Brian861
09-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Pretty cool that the kids would record the books.

Is Marin Ireland a good reader? As I'll probably listen rather than read it.

TravelinJack
09-28-2017, 02:17 PM

I’m swapping between reading and listening. Gotta love whispersync. I’m hapoy with Marin’s narration. She’s doing a good job so far.

stroppygoblin
09-28-2017, 02:18 PM

I’m swapping between reading and listening. Gotta love whispersync. I’m hapoy with Marin’s narration. She’s doing a good job so far.

I found her voice a little irritating. I've switched to just reading for now.

Brian861
09-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks, guys.

mae
09-29-2017, 07:06 AM
The NPR interview:

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/29/553748158/stephen-and-owen-king-on-the-horror-of-a-world-without-women-in-sleeping-beautie

dnemec
09-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Anybody else get their Owen signed book from Oblong and have it all beat to hell?

Brian861
09-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Anybody else get their Owen signed book from Oblong and have it all beat to hell?

Oh no ><. I ordered one the other day but it hasn't arrived yet. Poorly packaged, Dez?

dnemec
09-29-2017, 11:14 AM

Oh no ><. I ordered one the other day but it hasn't arrived yet. Poorly packaged, Dez?

Yep. A 12x12" piece of bubble wrap tossed into a box with the book on top. I placed 2 orders - one for myself and another for a UK member. Both came the same way and in the same condition. *sigh*

Brian861
09-29-2017, 11:21 AM

Yep. A 12x12" piece of bubble wrap tossed into a box with the book on top. I placed 2 orders - one for myself and another for a UK member. Both came the same way and in the same condition. *sigh*

Nice. WTF with these bookstores?! You'd think out of anyone, they'd know the value of a book to a collector. Maybe I'm assuming too much or my expectations are too high. Thank God Water Street has their shit together. I'm going to fire off an email to Oblong requesting better packaging based on your experience, Dez. You sending yours back?

dnemec
09-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Nice. WTF with these bookstores?! You'd think out of anyone, they'd know the value of a book to a collector. Maybe I'm assuming too much or my expectations are too high. Thank God Water Street has their shit together. I'm going to fire off an email to Oblong requesting better packaging based on your experience, Dez. You sending yours back?

Don't know yet. Problem is mine was just signed. The fellow member's was inscribed with more than his name. (He hasn't seen it, and it's not mine to share, so don't ask!) Mine would be easy to replace, his not so much.

RichardX
09-29-2017, 03:24 PM
I got mine today. The packaging was somewhat primitive but the book was none the worse. I give them kudos for getting them mailed out so quickly as I didn't expect it for a while. Anyone who attended the Hudson Valley event would be somewhat dubious of their organizational skills as they set up the book distribution just outside the exit door creating an impassable jam. Nice people, but not great organizers.

becca69
09-29-2017, 06:34 PM

Oh no! So sorry that happened. I ordered a UK Owen signed copy from VJ Books and was considering canceling and getting one personalized from Oblong. Glad I didn't.

mae
10-02-2017, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efIeo66jl8

stroppygoblin
10-03-2017, 01:21 AM

I'm the UK member that Dez kindly ordered the book for. It's a shame about the damage in transit, but I think the dedication from Owen makes up for it. Pretty cool!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4404/37405643496_508a9e1565.jpg

Brian861
10-03-2017, 04:14 AM
That is a cool inscription, Simon!

BountyHunter
10-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Where is the actual discussion thread for this book? I looked in Cara Laughs and didn't see any. Surely it's okay to be discussing by now, right?

mae
10-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Feel free to start one there!

mae
10-12-2017, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gruuU8sBYb4

mae
10-12-2017, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcJejmpUoU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn4SH7toGbg

Ari_Racing
12-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Winner of the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards for HORROR:

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-horror-books-2017

herbertwest
12-20-2017, 04:30 AM
A message from Owen from the latest Scribner newsletter

http://club-stephenking.fr/img/NEWS/decembre/2017/owenking--sleepingbeauties--message.jpg

herbertwest
02-06-2018, 05:48 AM
"Sleeping Beauties" is nominated to the "Superior Achievement in a Novel" at the Bram Stoker awards, while Joe's "Stranger Weatber" is too for the collection :
>>> http://horror.org/2017-bram-stoker-awards-final-ballot/