PDA

View Full Version : G.I Joe - New Movie Cast and Crew

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
This could be one to watch, I think.

Directed by Stephen Sommers (The Mummy 1 & 2 and Van Helsing)
Screenplay by Stuart Beattie (PotC & 30 Days of Night) and Skip Woods. (Swordfish & Hitman)

Dennis Quaid - General Hawk
Channing Tatum - Duke
Marlon Wayans - Ripcord
Rachel Nichols - Scarlett
Ray Park - Snake Eyes
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - Heavy Duty
Saïd Taghmaoui -Breaker
Byung-hun Lee - Storm Shadow
Sienna Miller - The Baroness
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Cobra Commander
Arnold Vosloo - Zartan

I don't see why this couldn't be a really good balls to the wall action movie considering the pedigree of the creators. Casting is not yet completed, but it's shaping up well, imo.

I never really got to see the old show in the 80's, but I've read a good amount of the comics, so am I way off about the casting being good?

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Pedigree of the creators? Mummy movies and Van Helsing were average, at best.

Ged rid of Marlon Wayans and the cast doesn't look half bad.

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Pedigree of the creators? Mummy movies and Van Helsing were average, at best.

Ged rid of Marlon Wayans and the cast doesn't look half bad.

Right, the movies Sommers has done weren't all that hot, but he wasn't working with Woods and Beattie on those.

Also, I neglected to mention other important crew members :

Special Effects - Sam Dean (The Aviator, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull & Iron Man)
Special Effects - Christopher A. Suarez (The Aviator, Spider-Man, Iron Man, PotC, Reign of Fire)

What's wrong with Marlon Wayans? After "Requiem For a Dream" and "The Ladykillers," I think he's one of the most underrated actors in the business.

Mike Beck
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah, he can be a damn good actor when given the right film. he's only as good as the movie he's starring in, which makes sense. he was great in Requiem. I never saw The Ladykillers, but heard he was good in that too.

it's just hard when he's tacked on to Dungeons and Dragons, and the one where he plays the baby detective dude.

I like the cast and crew attached so far. except where's my boy Roadblock? And Destro best be in this too. ;)

OchrisO
01-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Rachel Nichols doesn't seem like she'd make a good Scarlet in my opinion.

I'm not feeling Sienna Miller as The Baroness, either. The Baroness always had that hot nerdy chick vibe.

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
yeah, he can be a damn good actor when given the right film. he's only as good as the movie he's starring in, which makes sense. he was great in Requiem. I never saw The Ladykillers, but heard he was good in that too.

it's just hard when he's tacked on to Dungeons and Dragons, and the one where he plays the baby detective dude.

I like the cast and crew attached so far. except where's my boy Roadblock? And Destro best be in this too. ;)

Nothing on Roadblock yet and Destro's still yet to be cast. I'm looking forward to seeing Shipwreck cast, but they'll all be cast soon because filming starts next month.

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Rachel Nichols doesn't seem like she'd make a good Scarlet in my opinion.

I'm not feeling Sienna Miller as The Baroness, either. The Baroness always had that hot nerdy chick vibe.

Nichols' already has her hair dyed and is looking ok for it, imo.

Check out her imdb page's pictures to see the dye job.

Fall of Gilead
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM
This could be a great movie.

Mike Beck
01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
oh man Shipwreck!!! He's the best! i hope he still has that young jack nicholson-esque voice.

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Right, the movies Sommers has done weren't all that hot, but he wasn't working with Woods and Beattie on those.

Huh? You picked the most obscure actors for this one lol. Still doesn't change that his movies are special effects ridden, action adventure movies which aren't very good.

Special Effects - Sam Dean (The Aviator, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull & Iron Man)
Special Effects - Christopher A. Suarez (The Aviator, Spider-Man, Iron Man, PotC, Reign of Fire)

See, special effects ridden action adventure movie.

What's wrong with Marlon Wayans? After "Requiem For a Dream" and "The Ladykillers," I think he's one of the most underrated actors in the business.

Scary Movie 1-4, Little Man, White Chicks.......shall I go on? That's like justifying Brendan Fraser for his 7 minutes of screen time in Crash or Gods and Monsters.

After Transformers, who had spielberg involved, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to movies based on 80's cartoons.

IWasSentWest
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
joseph gordon-levitt as cobra commander? i dont see it

and i like brendan fraser :(

Still Servant
01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I've been excited about this since I heard about the possibility of a movie. I hope they can pull it off.

I finally have something from my childhood that's coming to the big screen to look forward to. Everybody my age either had the comic book movies or Transformers and I was always along for the ride.

Not this time though. The G.I. Joe's raised me. I loved the cartoon and I collect over 100 action figures (the 3 1/2 inch ones).

Speaking of a live action G.I. Joe movie, does anybody remember G.I. Joe: The Movie? It was a cartoon film that came out a while back. I got that shit on DVD. Love that movie.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think he did a great job in The Lookout, but I'm not sure about him as Cobra.

Also, I was expecting to see Roadblock and Shipwreck. Hopefully they will be in there. What about Flint? He was the first Joe I ever collected.

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Huh? You picked the most obscure actors for this one lol. Still doesn't change that his movies are special effects ridden, action adventure movies which aren't very good.

See, special effects ridden action adventure movie.

Scary Movie 1-4, Little Man, White Chicks.......shall I go on? That's like justifying Brendan Fraser for his 7 minutes of screen time in Crash or Gods and Monsters.

After Transformers, who had spielberg involved, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to movies based on 80's cartoons.

I didn't pick anybody, these are the people hired for the job. What're you talking about?

It's G.I Joe not Citizen Kane, it's supposed to be a special effects ridden, action adventure movie.

You list Marlon Wayans movies and wonder why he's not right for a movie based on childrens' toys from 2 decades ago.

Lay off your av, dude. You're losing it.

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM

As long as he can do the voice, what's the problem?

Jimmy
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
I've been excited about this since I heard about the possibility of a movie. I hope they can pull it off.

I finally have something from my childhood that's coming to the big screen to look forward to. Everybody my age either had the comic book movies or Transformers and I was always along for the ride.

Not this time though. The G.I. Joe's raised me. I loved the cartoon and I collect over 100 action figures (the 3 1/2 inch ones).

Speaking of a live action G.I. Joe movie, does anybody remember G.I. Joe: The Movie? It was a cartoon film that came out a while back. I got that shit on DVD. Love that movie.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think he did a great job in The Lookout, but I'm not sure about him as Cobra.

Also, I was expecting to see Roadblock and Shipwreck. Hopefully they will be in there. What about Flint? He was the first Joe I ever collected.

They're not done casting yet so there's no reason that the ones you listed won't be in it in some capacity.

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I didn't pick anybody, these are the people hired for the job. What're you talking about?

When you say 'he hasn't had Beatty and Woods' and I'm not sure what director you're trying to compared Sommers to. It seemed you just grabbed two random actors out of your mind and said 'he hasn't had these two old guys!'

It's G.I Joe not Citizen Kane, it's supposed to be a special effects ridden, action adventure movie.

I understand it's not supposed to be Citizen Kane. Look at Rambo for what can be done without CGI. Action movies should be made without it. I can see this movie cutting lots of corners, having a horrible script and corny plot which is supposed to be forgivable because it's a G.I. Joe movie.

You list Marlon Wayans movies and wonder why he's not right for a movie based on childrens' toys from 2 decades ago.

Yeah, a series based on soldiers, yeah. Can you really picture one half of the White Chicks as a soldier and take the movie seriously? I can't.

Lay off your av, dude. You're losing it.

No, I'm not. I've learned not to give up my hopes, or money, on Nostalgia fixes.

OchrisO
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Because characters like Shipwreck and Roadblock were such realistic Military characters that were to be taken completely seriously, right?

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Like I know. I only know GI Joe through those editted public service announcements. I've got no clue who you are talking about.

If they aren't at least trying to take in a semi-serious direction as they did with Transformers then I'm definitely skipping this one.

OchrisO
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
My point is just that quite a number of the G. I Joe characters were very corny, because it was a kid's show after all.

Shipwreck was a navy guy who actually had a pet parrot that was always on his shoulder.

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 09:50 PM
All the more reason to not watch the movie lol

Mike Beck
01-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Nonsense. The point is this: It's a movie based on great cartoon from the 80's. If they try to make it serious, I'll be upset. It should be as corny and unrealistic as the show was. I'm talking original outfits (not some up-to-date sleek new outfit for the joes), terrible dialogue, and lots of blaster fire that never hits any one.

I hate when they do remakes of these things and it feels nothing like what it's supposed to be based on.

Mattrick, I'm not sure how you think you come across to people, but it's not really friendly. I think you just like the act of arguing.

Jimmy
01-30-2008, 06:57 AM
When you say 'he hasn't had Beatty and Woods' and I'm not sure what director you're trying to compared Sommers to. It seemed you just grabbed two random actors out of your mind and said 'he hasn't had these two old guys!'

Those aren't actors, they're writers who have written some good movies.

I understand it's not supposed to be Citizen Kane. Look at Rambo for what can be done without CGI. Action movies should be made without it. I can see this movie cutting lots of corners, having a horrible script and corny plot which is supposed to be forgivable because it's a G.I. Joe movie.

Have you ever seen a Sommers movie? He's not the best director in the world, but he's not low level either.

Yeah, a series based on soldiers, yeah. Can you really picture one half of the White Chicks as a soldier and take the movie seriously? I can't.

No, but I can see one half of the White Chicks as a soldier that's based on a toy and not take the movie seriously because it's about soldiers based on toys.

No, I'm not. I've learned not to give up my hopes, or money, on Nostalgia fixes.

Then don't see the movie. What do I care?

Jimmy
01-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Like I know. I only know GI Joe through those editted public service announcements. I've got no clue who you are talking about.

If they aren't at least trying to take in a semi-serious direction as they did with Transformers then I'm definitely skipping this one.

I don't post in threads about subjects I know nothing about, maybe you should do the same then. You seem to be getting frustrated for no good reason.

Jimmy
01-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Mattrick, I'm not sure how you think you come across to people, but it's not really friendly. I think you just like the act of arguing.

Mike Beck is dead on with this Mattrick. I remember the post you made in the Dark Knight thread I made where you said comics were "hella gay." Why come into a thread connected with the industry only to insult those that enjoy comics unless you only are trying to pick a fight?

Which is why I'm adding you to my Ignore List, because you really seem to not want to add anything beyond derision to any topic you post in. Just letting you know, so you don't feel the need to respond because I won't see it anyway.

IWasSentWest
01-30-2008, 12:38 PM

As long as he can do the voice, what's the problem?

well i forgot that all u need is his voice...but still his voice is too squeaky and high strung....cobra commanders voice was kinda menacing and evil...not squeaky and kid like

Jimmy
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
well i forgot that all u need is his voice...but still his voice is too squeaky and high strung....cobra commanders voice was kinda menacing and evil...not squeaky and kid like

This here is a trailer for the movie "Brick" (2005) and Gordon-Levitt's doing the voice over and I hear no squeak. :D

YouTube - Brick Trailer

IWasSentWest
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
still doesnt sound menacing or evil or cruel at all...he sounds like a high school kid

Mattrick
01-31-2008, 01:10 AM

Mike Beck is dead on with this Mattrick. I remember the post you made in the Dark Knight thread I made where you said comics were "hella gay." Why come into a thread connected with the industry only to insult those that enjoy comics unless you only are trying to pick a fight?

Which is why I'm adding you to my Ignore List, because you really seem to not want to add anything beyond derision to any topic you post in. Just letting you know, so you don't feel the need to respond because I won't see it anyway.

I don't get why me not saying 'omg I want to see this' is derision from the topic. My opinion is that I don't have high hopes for any movie based on 80's cartoons and the people involved don't change that. I'm sorry for not wanting to see G.I. Joe as bad as you, for being so optimistic. I will only speak up when I love the movies being talked about.

I guess I misunderstood the freedom of speech and the expression of personal opinions. I'm talking about a movie that isn't even out yet...why anyone is taking this personal enough to be considered an unfriendly attack is beyond me. People that take their tastes being infringed upon as personal attacks...

Also, Jimmy, just because I don't recall anything much about the show (due to me being an infant) doesn't mean my older brother didn't love it and I didn't play with this massive collection of G.I. Joe figures - I just meant I don't know characters names or how their character was. I do remember Snowjob though lol Useless unless in the tundra haha.

Also, I'm sorry you disliked my dislike of comics in the Dark Knight thread...doesn't change the fact I'm a huge Batman, X-men and Spider-man fan - I just don't like comics. It's the same way I think anime is hella gay. People that like anime get offended when I say that. It's as if I'm saing 'people that love comics/anime' are hella gay.

Ignore me if you want, I have my opinions and you have yours. That's all this was, nothing the least bit personal about it. But, if you take your personal tastes very seriously and can't handle someone disagreeing them then it's probably best...

Mike Beck, it's not that I like arguing but I'm opinionated. My opinion on this movie is that it won't be good. Just because my opinion wasn't the same as Jimmy's, he got upset and had to make sure he rebuttaled me.

I just see that they have a couple decent-to-good actors in this movie and they will find a way to make it ultra corny. Actors are only as good as their script/director. Look at the lameness in The Day After Tomorrow and how Quaid and Gyllenhaal couldn't even add character to that wooden script. Transformers found a way for Jon Voight to appear average and that had Spielberg behind it.

X-men changed outfits etc and didn't spend an overly long period of time making it like their source material and look how good (albiet 3) they were. If they can't update/modernize it, I'm not sure how it will work. Even Transformers all got upgraded. Batman Begins is the best of all the Batman movies and it's taken out of that comic book realm. I see changing details such as costume/corniest as one of the best directions they can go. I'd much rather see a G.I. Movie with a realistic plot that isn't completely over the top while it still being accessible for kids. I do think this movies demographic will be 20+, though. Transformers has never stopped but I don't know if they still make G.I. Joe for kids.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
let me just say you rival John Cena......Big Time

oh, you didn't know?

"well now you know, and knowing is half the battle"

IWasSentWest
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
BURRRRN. oof, u might have to go to the BURN center for treatments on that one....oucha

Jimmy
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Good to see you again JB! :harrier:

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 08:04 PM
good to see you, Jimmy.

My mom likes to say "hasta lo que no come le hace dano"

it literally means, "even what he doesn't eat hurts his stomach"

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:30 PM

oh, you didn't know?

It take you a week to think of that? :clap:

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM

oh, you didn't know?

It take you a week to think of that? :clap:

no, i just came across the thread because lately I've been busy in my life.

Lives, some people have them, ya kno?:pirate:

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Says the guy who replied in 45 seconds...

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
and how long did it take you?

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I was still in the thread, clicked back out to Fedic and BAM, reply. I just thought it was funny how you replied so quick to a post proclaiming you have a life outside this board. I see through your attempts to take the attention away from this.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
look at the time between posts. There's no need for me to say anything else.

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I didn't literally mean 45 seconds...Lest you forget, I'm not the one prancing around, waving signs about how you've got a life who spent probably what, an hour straight on these boards? No need for me to say anything more.

btw, now you're deriving the topic, what I was accused of originally doing.

OchrisO
02-07-2008, 01:06 AM
I believe this has went far enough. Drop it.

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 01:42 AM
I dropped it a week ago...

Jimmy
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Is it possible to make it so Mattrick isn't allowed to post in threads I make? I'd rather see discussion in them than pissing contests.

Brice
02-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Is it possible to make it so Mattrick isn't allowed to post in threads I make? I'd rather see discussion in them than pissing contests.

I think I have to say no to that. If anyone has a problem with a specific post I'd suggest reporting it to staff so appropriate action can be decided.

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
So are we back on track now?

*creeps in*

So is this new GI Joe movie going to be live action or animated because I keep hearing two different stories and not any news about it...

John Blaze
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be live action.