PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what I just realized??? *BIG spoilers about the end*

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
cry pardon if this was already made,

I just recently began re-reading the Gunslinger after finishing the series about a year ago, and I just realized that the Gunslinger's beginning forshadows so much of the very end! It talks of Roland being dizzy, as if worlds are transparent, of Cuthbert and the Horn of Eld, which the first time he left at Jericho Hill, and there's just so many stupid little thhings that are hinted at like the bird-headed taheen and the mule reminding him of Sheemie, and omg I feel all like stupid now...cos I'm just realizing all of these things

this is only my second time reading it, so everything's sudenly starting to click with me.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM

I just recently began re-reading the Gunslinger after finishing the series about a year ago, and I just realized that the Gunslinger's beginning forshadows so much of the very end! It talks of Roland being dizzy, as if worlds are transparent, of Cuthbert and the Horn of Eld, which the first time he left at Jericho Hill, and there's just so many stupid little thhings that are hinted at like the bird-headed taheen and the mule reminding him of Sheemie, and omg I feel all like stupid now...cos I'm just realizing all of these things

this is only my second time reading it, so everything's sudenly starting to click with me.

Wicked cool hunh? :harrier: Yeah, I've realized it before, but its great to see others realize it.

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I didn't realize it so now I have to read it again!

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 06:03 PM
As if you needed an excuse Liz!

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 06:09 PM
ZOMG LIZ!!! Hiya! It's IR!!

and wowie I'm totally readin them al oer again

my third time will be when I have every king book that relates and read them the way you're supposed to!

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I love to come up with excuses to do things I love ;)

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
same here. it's getting close to the point of "oh, that dude on tv said 'tower.' i'm reading it again."

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah "Oh that thing in front of my face is long and dark so I better go read the Dark Tower series"

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:21 PM
:lol: fucking hilarious CK!

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
same here. it's getting close to the point of "oh, that dude on tv said 'tower.' i'm reading it again."

pretty much

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah "Oh that thing in front of my face is long and dark so I better go read the Dark Tower series"
you know me too well ;)

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
wow CK.....wow...I was bored with the fifty million others I'm currently halfway thru

fourth book of the Draginriders of Pern series (Anne McCaffrey), the Stand, Firestarter, Talisman, From a Buick 8, Door to December(Dean Koontz)....the list goes on and I've started them all

IWasSentWest
01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
im in the middle of: cell, wizards first rule, dune (reread), dragons of an autumn twilight, the book of the dead (pendergast series), songs of susannah (blah, i didnt care much for this one), heart-shaped box, the black company (chronicles)...and i think something else

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM
i'm in the middle of the green mile and gerald's game...

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Wicked cool hunh? :harrier: Yeah, I've realized it before, but its great to see others realize it.

What CK said

Madagascar
02-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess I'll be re-reading the series sometime within a year. Only problem there is that I only have 3 of the books and access to a library only 180 days of the year. But I was thinking about that recently, if King was already setting things up for the last 3 books that early on.

Letti
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I guess I'll be re-reading the series sometime within a year. Only problem there is that I only have 3 of the books and access to a library only 180 days of the year. But I was thinking about that recently, if King was already setting things up for the last 3 books that early on.

Welcome Madagascar! Rereading is a very good idea. :)

LadyHitchhiker
02-03-2008, 06:00 PM
And word of the wise: anything Letti says is a good idea, is a good idea :D

movieman19
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I noticed the same thing when I started my second go-around. Really crazy when you think about it that it was written like 30 years apart.

ManOfWesternesse
02-04-2008, 05:29 AM

This is the Revised Gunslinger you are speaking of here though? - making it less 'early on'. The Original had less of the direct foreshadowing I think.

jayson
02-04-2008, 05:33 AM

This is the Revised Gunslinger you are speaking of here though? - making it less 'early on'. The Original had less of the direct foreshadowing I think.

was thinking that myself. have to check how much there really is in the original. with the revised it's cool that it's there, but really "retroactive foreshadowing" as it was added after the fact.

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Radioactive foreshadowing? I love when I misread things

Ka-tet
02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah it kinda makes you feel a little silly when you realise the answer was stairing you in the face, eh? Ive still to read the serise a second time i really should go back to it im sure the experiance will be diffent this time around. But i cant help but wonder will it be worse?

RandoofGilead
09-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I've just finished it for the 2nd time although I went straight back to it after I finished it (I listen to and from work which is 2 hours a day).

I just had to wonder what the hell was I thinking the first time around that all of this starts RIGHT at the beginning. I'm kicking myself but am still trying to figure out the Man in Black and why he is there.

I have not gotten the revised version of this. It sounds like it clears a few things?

Letti
09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I have not gotten the revised version of this. It sounds like it clears a few things?

Not really. But it might be worth a read.

Reverend Brimmstone
10-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I myself am re-reading The Gunslinger(revised) and noticed something that is in the Jake flashback: it mentions him eating lunch at school usually reading a sports novel or a Clay Blaisdell western.As I'm sure you'll remember, Clayton Blaisdell(Jr.) is the name of the main character of Blaze.

Another connection or cheeky bonus?

To IWasSentWest: THE PENDERGAST SERIES!!! Awesome! I started at Relic and went through them like wind through a canebrake!

Or Eels through innards.
They find an entrancs where they can.