PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Rebound

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Noxus35
05-11-2021, 09:38 AM
I just hope I receive my usual FREE A or I or '0' or α or א copy, as usual, Paul.

I promise not to tell anybody!!!

I won't tell anyone either if you sent that usual FREE copy to me, i promise. 🤫🤣

sentinel
05-11-2021, 12:21 PM
...tough time finding enough books...

I really wonder if this was the reason for making The Stand a Roman numeral edition, just the sheer difficulty of finding this many copies, in the necessary condition, of this particular King first edition. Perhaps there's always "enough" out there for someone with enough resources, but I do wonder if Paul found himself running into a brick wall on this.

...and then there's the cost of each (so many parts of Paul's job give me heartburn, and this is definitely one).

Interesting thought....are these 1st printings? The copy says "book block from a Doubleday 1st edition originally published in 1978" it doesn't say 1st printing with T39 in the gutter?

becca69
05-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Interesting thought....are these 1st printings? The copy says "book block from a Doubleday 1st edition originally published in 1978" it doesn't say 1st printing with T39 in the gutter?

They are 1st printings, yes.

sentinel
05-11-2021, 04:15 PM
Cool. that's great!

Merlin1958
05-11-2021, 04:52 PM
This is by no means a criticism in any way. I'm just bcurious as to the thoughts of many collectors. We all know, "The Stand" is a Doubleday production and the associated materials used were inferior. Personally, I think re-binding the page block makes a lot of sense and is good in the long run, but I have also noted that many collectors feel that any changes to the original production reduces value. Of course, I am aware that, Paul may be an exception to that rule seeing as he utilizes nothing but the best of materials and production values. Still, I am curious what collectors, in general think about something like this in let's say "hindsight". Quality editions of this book are already at a premium so what do you guys think about a number of them being taken off the market? I also assume many of the copies, Paul is using didn't have viable DJ's. Given that a standard rule is a DJ is 80% of a books value how does that factor in to an edition like this?

I'm not crapping on this effort at all or, in any way. I'm just wondering how folks really think about it and looking for their insight as King collectors for future reference. I post this simply to encourage some dialogue and to gain insight and information is all. Paul's standards and productions are far above any industry standards and I know these will be beautiful books. Just looking for some of your thoughts and considerations is all.

bdwyer19
05-11-2021, 04:59 PM
I’m not a fan of rebound books anyway, but in this case only 10 copies of the original page block are being used, so I’m not concerned about them being taken off the market.

Merlin1958
05-11-2021, 05:26 PM
I’m not a fan of rebound books anyway, but in this case only 10 copies of the original page block are being used, so I’m not concerned about them being taken off the market.

I'm not either. I mean I know that given the production materials utilized by DD there are fewer and fewer nice copies available (and I've got two) its just that I know there are a lot of "Purists" (?) out there and I was just hoping for some differing perspectives, opinions or, speculations on the subject. Merely for discussion purposes. I know that given it's, Paul they will sell out with many left wanting.

Back in the HF days, there was a lot of differing opinions on some of the "collectibles" we created and I was just curious if maybe the overall thinking had perhaps changed/evolved. Like I said, if anyone was going to do this, Paul is the man to do it and I am not distracting from this edition in the least. Just curious if the overall thinking had changed some or was still the same with this exception or what ever the current thinking is in the collecting community. I for one embrace these kinds of projects. I think it preserves a classic edition, revitalizes it and even makes it more desirable. Just that it didn't seem to be a popular opinion 5 or 6 years ago. Looking for the collective thoughts and discussion is all.

Randall Flagg
05-11-2021, 07:16 PM
I think it's way too premature to look back in "hindsight". I think what Paul is doing is amazing, and IMO, will stand the test of time.

Merlin1958
05-11-2021, 07:34 PM
I think it's way too premature to look back in "hindsight". I think what Paul is doing is amazing, and IMO, will stand the test of time.

I'm not really "looking back" as much as gauging the current thought process. If you're not interested in sharing, then fuck it. I just thought it was a premise for discussion is all.

Patrick
05-11-2021, 10:57 PM
Hi Bill, I’ve never felt that well-crafted rebounds were a concern, especially when all that matters is the book block. It’s not just about a bad or missing dj, the covers may be stained or damaged as well - all of which can affect desirability of the original copy. While some projects may make us cringe (no specifics come to mind), I think Dragon Rebound does an honor to the original releases.

If DR is producing ten copies, I wonder how many 1st editions Paul had to buy to find enough suitable book blocks.

OldCrow88
05-12-2021, 02:18 AM
Please help me out, was there a newsletter or email prior to existing DR customers prior to the news dropping on social media? I'm one of the 26 single-letter holders

I'm a letter holder as well and received NO newsletter yesterday.

sk

I never received the newsletter either. I suppose that's what set me off.

Ben Mears
05-12-2021, 03:37 AM
If DR is producing ten copies, I wonder how many 1st editions Paul had to buy to find enough suitable book blocks.

Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition? This isn't directed at you Patrick, I'm just curious as to why it matters.

St. Troy
05-12-2021, 06:59 AM
Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition?

The insistence on first editions may be a fine-tuning of the notion that the book (not just the work itself, but the physical edition in question) should warrant the full Dragon rebinding treatment (individualized design with distinctive materials using the services of highly specialized craftsmen/women, not only for rebinding but for external cases and special extras).

Patrick
05-12-2021, 07:09 AM
Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition?

The insistence on first editions may be a fine-tuning of the notion that the book (not just the work itself, but the physical edition in question) should warrant the full Dragon rebinding treatment (individualized design with distinctive materials using the services of highly specialized craftsmen/women, not only for rebinding but for external cases and special extras).
I think you’ve nailed it. We collectors are so fixed on first editions that going to all that work and expense using anything else but 1sts would feel like a missed opportunity to avoid cutting corners - real or imagined.

Ben Mears
05-12-2021, 08:19 AM

The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition. Same block, same paper etc. and since it's a rebinding, not a newly designed limited edition, there is no enhancement of the interior. From a collector's standpoint, rather than altering a first edition and reducing true first edition inventory wouldn't it make more sense to use a later edition/printing?

webstar1000
05-12-2021, 08:21 AM

The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition. Same block, same paper etc. and since it's a rebinding, not a newly designed limited edition, there is no enhancement of the interior. From a collector's standpoint, rather than altering a first edition and reducing true first edition inventory wouldn't it make more sense to use a later edition/printing?

Absolutely not. I would have zero interest if a later printing was used. It’s part of the “package “

Hunchback Jack
05-12-2021, 08:24 AM

Using a later printing would be like building a time machine out of a DeLorean.

HBJ

stroppygoblin
05-12-2021, 08:28 AM

HBJ

Is it wrong to be conflicted by that statement? :confused:

St. Troy
05-12-2021, 08:29 AM
The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition.

We don't know that because DR's only "treatment," thus far, for non-first editions has been to ignore them outright (this is why the question I answered - "why the need for a first edition?" - was asked).

If Paul were to mix in later printings with future rebound projects, I'm sure we'll hear from people about dilution and value etc.

Brian861
05-12-2021, 01:33 PM

HBJ

Is it wrong to be conflicted by that statement? :confused:

Not at all, Simon. You can ride shotgun :). Peter prefers the Model A I guess.

Brian861
05-12-2021, 01:46 PM
My personal definition of a rebound is to breathe new life into something in its most desired, original state. Rebinding anything outside of a 1st edition is pointless IMO.

The Stand is my all time favorite book and this edition would be the end all be all for me. Even above the coffin case.

Ben Mears
05-12-2021, 01:52 PM
Absolutely not. I would have zero interest if a later printing was used. It’s part of the “package “

Interesting...everything would be exactly the same except for the designated edition. Since the rebinding has altered the original product can it still be considered a true first edition? If not, then what difference does it make which edition is utilized as long as it has received the DR treatment?

webstar1000
05-12-2021, 01:53 PM

Interesting...everything would be exactly the same except for the designated edition. Since the rebinding has altered the original product can it still be considered a true first edition? If not, then what difference does it make which edition is utilized as long as it has received the DR treatment?

Purity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall Flagg
05-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Of course it can be considered a rebound true 1st edition.

Ben Mears
05-13-2021, 08:23 AM

Purity

I respect your position but to me it's like quibbling over the medium (oil, acrylic, watercolor etc) and surface used (canvas, masonite, paper) in a beautiful painting. The art is in Paul's design and materials, not which block was used.

Ari_Racing
05-13-2021, 09:02 AM
I kinda share the same point of view than Ben and Brian.

St. Troy
05-13-2021, 10:55 AM
...to me it's just quibbling over the medium (oil, acrylic, watercolor etc) and surface used (canvas, masonite, paper) in a beautiful painting. The art is in Paul's design and materials, not which block was used.

DR's raw materials, rather than ordinary pieces of canvas or paper, are pre-existing works whose physical form differentiates them from other instances of the same intellectual content before DR ever gets involved - first editions are considered the cream of the crop among otherwise ordinary trade publications (I don't collect first editions - perhaps you also do not - but I understand their significance and value to collectors).

While DR is free to use non-first editions - and it is true that you can rebind anything - when producing a small, one-time batch of rebound books to the highest level possible, in what is in part a labor of love toward the novels themselves, doesn't it make sense to begin the process by reaching for the very top shelf? To do otherwise would seem to undercut Paul's mission (I can't see the person who wrote the content at http://dragonrebound.com/about/ settling for second best on any part of this).

webstar1000
05-13-2021, 10:55 AM

Purity

I respect your position but to me it's just quibbling over the medium (oil, acrylic, watercolor etc) and surface used (canvas, masonite, paper) in a beautiful painting. The art is in Paul's design and materials, not which block was used.

But then again? I prefer oil painting. To me a 1st is part of the package and older frists
Are made with better paper then the cheaper counter parts. He can’t change that so I would want the better paper

Ben Mears
05-13-2021, 01:16 PM
But then again? I prefer oil painting. To me a 1st is part of the package and older frists
Are made with better paper then the cheaper counter parts. He can’t change that so I would want the better paper

Interesting conversation with good points from you & St. Troy.

St. Troy
05-13-2021, 04:41 PM
Ben, are you the one (as I think I recall) with a single copy of Second Coming with the black and white photos? (That's the book I fantasize about having in a mind-blowing custom binding).

Ben Mears
05-13-2021, 05:22 PM
Ben, are you the one (as I think I recall) with a single copy of Second Coming with the black and white photos? (That's the book I fantasize about having in a mind-blowing custom binding).

That is correct. It's a prototype with basic black leather casing, foil stamped title and plain cloth slip case. The original plan was a bit more elaborate as I toyed with the idea of embossing the Sarlinov (vampire's original name) coat of arms (rampant wolf) on a coffin shaped traycase made of banded oak and foil stamping it on the cover of the book as well. In the end I decided an understated and spare look flowed better with the images used. That, and the fact that I'm not all that creative!
Hard to believe it's been 15 years...

burgerhicks80
05-18-2021, 05:06 AM
FYI for those entered the Stand lottery the website was updated with this:

5/16/21: A message for those who entered the lottery: When we get to the point of emailing the winners, we will post that we have here. For now, there is no need to check email/spam because we have not notified anyone yet. It may be up to a week before we notify the winners because we have a very busy week. We will get to this ASAP. Thank you for your patience.

ajw2910
05-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Anyone here get lucky and hit the lottery?

sullichin
05-23-2021, 10:58 PM
Are there materials used in The Stand rebound that are incredibly expensive? Of course the expertise needed to hand craft something like this is out of this world, is that where the majority of this cost is justified?

Other DRs stand out to me for their super creative designs. This one, not as much, but man I'd really love to see one in person. I really like the elegant clamshell case

St. Troy
05-24-2021, 05:17 AM
Are there materials used in The Stand rebound that are incredibly expensive? Of course the expertise needed to hand craft something like this is out of this world, is that where the majority of this cost is justified?

I'm more curious about the time and expense of sourcing the blocks; that can't have been easy or cheap.

zelig
05-24-2021, 06:34 AM

Other DRs stand out to me for their super creative designs. This one, not as much, but man I'd really love to see one in person. I really like the elegant clamshell case

This binding design is more elegant and refined than the other rebinds in my opinion, which is the style of the binder who created it. The materials make up part of the cost of course, but the labor hours play a big part. It takes a tremendous amount of time to craft each book. The skills of the binder also come into play. When you have spent a good part of your life refining and perfecting a certain skill, there is a value attached to the application of that skill. I think you must have developed an appreciation for this style of binding and what is involved in creating it, in order to see the beauty in it. But of course, as with any artistic output, it is all very subjective.

Lynn
06-04-2021, 03:07 PM
It is gorgeous!!

east-tennessee
06-22-2021, 07:07 PM
Any updates on Christine?

zelig
06-22-2021, 07:14 PM
Any updates on Christine?

Soon. We ran out of the stitched leather for the case. Just received more this week. Had to be custom made. Shouldn’t be too much longer now.

east-tennessee
06-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Sounds good. Thank you....

webstar1000
06-23-2021, 01:48 AM
I’m so excited for this one

MikeDuke
06-23-2021, 04:59 AM
Even though I am not in DR, I am extremely excited to see how Christine turns out. I know Paul will do justice to the first King book I ever read. Congrats to those who are
getting them.

Patrick
06-23-2021, 09:44 AM
I live vicariously through you guys when it comes to Dragon Rebound. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Beverly Marsh
07-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know when Christine might be out? I can't remember the release date but I thought it was sometime in July....

zelig
07-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know when Christine might be out? I can't remember the release date but I thought it was sometime in July....

We’re getting there. I’m estimating another 4-6 weeks. There were some delays, but it’s full steam ahead at this point.

BrewMeister
08-04-2021, 12:36 PM
I'd been buying Suntup books for almost two years before I learned of the Dragon Rebound editions. Probably a very good thing as they are absolutely gorgeous, but out of my price range! But as a King fan I can still drool over them, especially The Stand, which has always been my favorite SK book.

I just recently learned about the IT paperweights. I was wondering if those ever come up for sale and what they go for? I can dream, right?

Thanks!

east-tennessee
08-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Received Christine shipping notice today..........:)

Br!an
08-07-2021, 02:32 PM
:dance:

cit74
08-07-2021, 02:46 PM
Me too - what a pleasant surprise

MikeDuke
08-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Can't wait to see pics of this since this was the first book I read in elementary school and got me hooked on King.

zelig
08-07-2021, 06:34 PM
Just got done shipping all orders for the Christine rebound. Made me think back to the start of it all. I see it was just over 5 years ago when I kicked it off with The Eyes of the Dragon. A lot has happened since then! Well, I hope you enjoy it if you have one headed your way.

MikeDuke
08-07-2021, 06:48 PM
Congrats on your 5 year anniversary.

Noxus35
08-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Just got done shipping all orders for the Christine rebound. Made me think back to the start of it all. I see it was just over 5 years ago when I kicked it off with The Eyes of the Dragon. A lot has happened since then! Well, I hope you enjoy it if you have one headed your way.Congratulations Paul!
I am sure that Christine has become one extremely gorgeous edition, i am looking forward to seeing pictures of her.

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

frik
08-07-2021, 10:50 PM
Just got done shipping all orders for the Christine rebound. Made me think back to the start of it all. I see it was just over 5 years ago when I kicked it off with The Eyes of the Dragon. A lot has happened since then! Well, I hope you enjoy it if you have one headed your way.

Thank you, Paul. Thrilled to have mine on its way to the Netherlands.
And congratulations on five years of superb DREditions.....Here's to hoping for five more!

sk

Roseannebarr
08-07-2021, 11:32 PM

Congratulations! I remember Tippy telling me that he was helping you box those first books! 5 years went really fast!

Ari_Racing
08-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Happy Rebound anniversary! :)

webstar1000
08-10-2021, 03:46 AM
I really hope we get more. If he content with one a year. These books mean so much to me. They are so beautiful and make me so happy. It’s an honor to have them on my shelf. :)

frik
08-10-2021, 05:39 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!! Thank you, Paul!!

sk

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/YNe0L2.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/IhMznj.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/5wzcrL.jpg

Ari_Racing
08-10-2021, 05:49 AM
Looks amazing!

MikeDuke
08-10-2021, 05:53 AM
My jealousy runs deep with this one. And with IT and Firestarter.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-10-2021, 06:10 AM
All I can say is....

Va---rooooooommmm!!!!!

cit74
08-10-2021, 07:46 AM
guess I need to leave the car in the packaging too ;)

Cook
08-10-2021, 07:57 AM

That's funny you mention that.. (car in the packaging)
I just had a discussion about that with a friend. :)
Christine rebound is amazing, BTW, Congratulations !!

amd013
08-10-2021, 09:01 AM

That's funny you mention that.. (car in the packaging)
I just had a discussion about that with a friend. :)
Christine rebound is amazing, BTW, Congratulations !!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take it out of the package. Play with it! Smash it up! Put it back in the package, and when you wake up tomorrow, it'll be as good as new.

If it isn't, then it was a fake to begin with! JK, LOL

Ben Mears
08-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Congratulations. Very well done.

cit74
08-10-2021, 12:57 PM
I'll need to keep my Christine pristine

St. Troy
08-10-2021, 02:13 PM

Didn't Kiss do a song about this?

amd013
08-10-2021, 02:51 PM

I don't think their intentions where to keep her pristine. (kinda creepy song if you think about it)

St. Troy
08-11-2021, 07:58 AM

I don't think their intentions where to keep her pristine. (kinda creepy song if you think about it)

When I was a teenager, lyrics/songs like "Christine, sixteen" and Winger's "Seventeen," made me say "hell yeah!" because these were the girls I was, um, concerned with at the time, and I didn't ponder the fact that the guys singing the songs were older than me (rock stars just seemed like older, ballsier versions of us who had escaped high school but still wanted to rawk all nite long!), but then a bit later in life, maybe I'm 30, I hear one of those songs for the first time in a long time and think "I hope someone was keeping an eye on this guy."

[Note: I googled around for other such songs because there's at least one more out there I almost remembered that I wanted to use as an example, and the results are pretty creepy, including real life info about Bill Wyman dating a 13-year old when he was 47 and Ted Nugent becoming the legal guardian of a 17-year old in order to live with her. I need to go clean myself in lye.]

OldCrow88
08-11-2021, 12:52 PM
She is a thing of beauty. Might be my imagination but I swear she's got that new car smell.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2021, 01:43 PM
She is a thing of beauty. Might be my imagination but I swear she's got that new car smell.

With a hint of dead body.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2021, 10:45 AM
My box came today, but it was making some funny sounds, so I left in the garage.

becca69
08-12-2021, 02:58 PM
My box came today, but it was making some funny sounds, so I left in the garage.

Best place for it!

ICry4Oy
08-12-2021, 06:40 PM
My tracking says it finally left LA.

Patrick
08-21-2021, 07:51 AM
The DRE Christine is a thing of beauty. I look forward to seeing one in person the next time I go visit Jerome’s garage.

herbertwest
08-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Out of curiosity, do we know how many signed copies there are?
As in, how many people send signed books to be used in the rebound process

BrewMeister
08-21-2021, 10:20 AM

Very jealous, as all the Dragon Rebounds are incredible!

I'll probably never own one, but when I saw the car they came with, a quick search found them on Amazon for around $10. I ripped mine right out of the package and put it in front of my limited edition of Christine.

So for another $10, you can keep your original in the package and still have one to rip open!

If you're really into the models, I see there is an "evil" one (blacked out windows), and other companies also make a "before" model, when she's all beat up, and even one that's been on fire!

roopeshjoshi
12-23-2021, 09:02 PM
Paul, any updates on a new Dragon Rebound title, since it's been a year since Christine had been announced? (I know The Stand roman numeral came out but it's on another path). Hoping for some news to hear about what your next innovative idea.

ICry4Oy
12-23-2021, 09:20 PM
If anyone is updating who owns what, I no longer own the "C" books or the rights to that letter.

roopeshjoshi
12-23-2021, 09:43 PM
I now own D, and rights.

webstar1000
12-23-2021, 11:49 PM
Really really want a new one…

zelig
12-24-2021, 12:31 AM
Well, it’s like this. I can’t say with certainty that there will be another one. But I also can’t say with certainty that there won’t be another one. Right now, I’m swaying ever so slightly toward there being another one. But nothing is finalized and I haven’t made any decisions yet. Time will tell.

webstar1000
12-25-2021, 09:30 AM
Well, it’s like this. I can’t say with certainty that there will be another one. But I also can’t say with certainty that there won’t be another one. Right now, I’m swaying ever so slightly toward there being another one. But nothing is finalized and I haven’t made any decisions yet. Time will tell.

This kinda made my Christmas!!!! Knowing there is a chance Paul!! Thank you !!!!

herbertwest
01-18-2022, 04:51 AM
Can't believe that the original EEOTD were at 575$ a piece and I didn't get one, given how nice they look
Anybody remember the original Firestarter DRE selling price : 895, right?

Br!an
01-18-2022, 05:16 AM
Yes, $895.

webstar1000
01-18-2022, 05:20 AM
Man, I really hope 2022 has another Dragon Release.... just annocuned is all I hope for!

frik
01-19-2022, 05:10 AM
Man, I really hope 2022 has another Dragon Release.... just annocuned is all I hope for!

You and me both!
A Different Seasons DRE would make me VERY happy.

sk

Randall Flagg
01-19-2022, 11:07 AM

You and me both!

sk

It's been done...

webstar1000
01-19-2022, 11:18 AM

You and me both!

sk

It's been done...

No there is only 6 so far mate.... that is not one of them!

Randall Flagg
01-19-2022, 12:16 PM
It was done by me.

east-tennessee
03-01-2023, 02:03 PM

Maybe an announcement in 2023?

frik
03-02-2023, 09:07 AM
Paul mentioned once he might do another one.
At the time (two years ago??) no decision had been made.

sk

kardiackids
03-25-2023, 10:28 PM
Whoever is updating the ownership chart you can put me down for having letter Z.
(Tried to add a picture but can’t figure out how to do it on my phone)
Hopefully Paul decides to do a new one soon.

roopeshjoshi
03-26-2023, 08:31 AM
I can be put down for Letter D as well. I bought the set that once belonged to Anthony (firemonkey).