PDA

View Full Version : New book announced: Hearts in Suspension

Dan
04-01-2016, 04:26 PM
King's Twitter feed just posted

Photo's from the forthcoming book, HEARTS IN SUSPENSION. Hopefully this fall.

I tried to link the photo, but couldn't figure out how.

jhanic
04-01-2016, 04:29 PM
If this were any day other than April 1...

John

Dan
04-01-2016, 04:30 PM

John

Sorry, I'm not much of a joker. Check his Twitter feed.

Dan
04-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Best I can do

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/b2856da0eea067ff7897446bb926a619.jpg

webstar1000
04-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Yep....

peripheral
04-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Wow. Wonder whether / how it may link to Hearts in Atlantis.

burial
04-02-2016, 12:11 AM

John

Sorry, I'm not much of a joker. Check his Twitter feed.

but still.. it was April 1st

stroppygoblin
04-02-2016, 12:20 AM
I got a Gold star! (He's pretty easy to spot though...)

biomieg
04-02-2016, 12:21 AM
It would be kind of lame if King's idea of an April Fool's joke was to announce a new book, right? He has a much better sense of humor than that and besides, it fits his regular publishing schedule AFAIK.

herbertwest
04-02-2016, 12:48 AM
v
Kevin Quiqley investigated
>>> http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/

Not a Joke, Not a Drill! Dept. Well, it's not the new book news we've been waiting for, but it's the next best thing. Lawrence Block, brilliant mystery & crime novelist (whose first book featuring Matthew Scudder appeared as a limited edition featuring a foreword by Stephen King) has edited a curious and exciting new book featuring stories inspired by the work of American emotional realist painter Edward Hopper. The roster of authors is fantastic - everyone from Joe R. Lansdale to Joyce Carol Oates to Block himself - but of interest here is what appears to be a brand-new story by Stephen King. No news on the story yet, but using deductive reasoning (as these are stories written to a theme), it doesn't seem premature to believe this is all new work. The book, In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper is out in hardcover December 6, and you can order it now!

http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/sunlightorshadow.jpeg

Dan
04-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Thank you! I really wasn't trying to be funny. Although I'm disappointed it's not a new novel.

biomieg
04-02-2016, 04:07 AM
I'm not convinced that this anthology is 'the forthcoming book'. The phrasing just sounds wrong (at least to my foreign ears). Put like this it reads like they're talking about a King book titled Hearts in Suspension, not about a story with that title in an anthology titled In Sunlight or in Shadow.

burial
04-02-2016, 04:40 AM
I'm not convinced that this anthology is 'the forthcoming book'. The phrasing just sounds wrong (at least to my foreign ears). Put like this it reads like they're talking about a King book titled Hearts in Suspension, not about a story with that title in an anthology titled In Sunlight or in Shadow.

I agree...
There is going to be an anthology with unknown Kings story
AND
New book Hearts in Suspension (if it's not a joke)

Ari_Racing
04-02-2016, 06:13 AM
Sorry...but I don't believe a single news posted on April's 1st...

burial
04-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Sorry...but I don't believe a single news posted on April's 1st...

Anthology is confirmed. Already available on Amazon.
With Hearts... well... i am unbeliever too

Ari_Racing
04-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Yes, I believe in the anthology (I already preordered it) but the other book....sorry, but no.

terrier91
04-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Of course, the Twitter post just says that the pic is from THE forthcoming book "Hearts in Suspension", not MY forthcoming book. haha

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Meybe he's referring to the picture of his younger self at the university? If so, it's likely meant as an April Fool's Day joke

Rahfa
04-02-2016, 03:20 PM
No - the photo will be IN the book.

I think it's nonfiction about the 1960s.

Fsmdr
04-02-2016, 04:43 PM
"No - the photo will be IN the book.

I think it's nonfiction about the 1960s."

Correct. Published by University Of Maine Press.

needfulthings
04-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Best I can do

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/b2856da0eea067ff7897446bb926a619.jpg

King just above poster above banner right hand side with long hair & beard.

herbertwest
04-03-2016, 04:05 AM

Do you have more informations?

Fsmdr
04-03-2016, 07:41 AM

Do you have more informations?

Not much else....except that it's in the works.

Randall Flagg
04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
I think it's time to either re-title this thread, or archive it.

mae
04-03-2016, 07:38 PM
I think it's time to either re-title this thread, or archive it.

Probably should be merged with the one at The Oracle.

Bev Vincent
04-04-2016, 06:33 AM
It's a non-fiction book with essays by King and others about their time as students at the University of Maine. It's tentatively set for release in October but that's subject to change.

mae
09-19-2016, 07:19 AM
https://new.umaine.edu/umpress/forthcoming-books/hearts-in-suspension/

Hearts in Suspension by Stephen King, with personal narratives by college classmates and friends, edited and with an introduction by Jim Bishop

STEPHEN KING REMEMBERS A LOST ATLANTIS

This publication marks the 50th anniversary of Stephen King’s entrance into the University of Maine at Orono in the fall of 1966. The accelerating war in Vietnam and great social upheaval at home exerted a profound impact on students of the period and deeply influenced King’s development as a writer and as a man.

King’s fictional treatment of this experience in his novella “Hearts in Atlantis” (reprinted in this volume) tracks his youthful avatar, Peter Riley, through the awakenings and heartbreak of his turbulent first year at UMaine. In his accompanying essay, “Five to One, One in Five,” written expressly for this volume, King sheds his fictional persona and takes on the challenge of a nonfiction return to his undergraduate experience. The stereoscopic combination of these narratives, told with King’s characteristic blend of canny insight and self-deprecating humor, create a revealing portrait of the artist as young man and a ground-level tableau of this highly charged time.

In addition, twelve fellow students and friends from King’s college days contribute personal narratives recalling their own experience of those years. These recollections—engaged, irreverent, and affecting—bring dimension and texture to the collective witnessing of a formative time in their lives and a defining moment in the country’s history.

This book also includes four installments of King’s never-before-reprinted student newspaper column, “King’s Garbage Truck.” These lively examples of King’s damn-the-torpedoes style, entertaining and shrewd in their youthful perceptions, more than hint at a talent about to take its place in the American literary landscape.

A gallery of period photographs and documents augments this volume.

ISBN 978-0-89101-127-9 $30.00

PUBLICATION DATE: November 7, 2016

Resellers please inquire at (207) 581-1643 or by e-mailing skbook@maine.edu.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR AND EDITOR

STEPHEN KING

Stephen King is the author of more than fifty books—all of them bestsellers. His recent work includes Mr. Mercedes, Revival, Doctor Sleep, Finders Keepers, and Under the Dome, a major TV series on CBS. His novel 11/22/63 was named a top ten book of 2011 by the New York Times Book Review, and it was awarded the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Mystery/Thriller as well as the Best Hardcover Novel Award from the International Thriller Writers. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. In 2015 President Barack Obama presented King with the National Medal of Arts for his contributions to literature. Stephen King lives in Bangor, Maine, with his wife, novelist Tabitha King.

JIM BISHOP

Jim Bishop taught Stephen King, among many other talented students, as an instructor of English at the University of Maine in the late ’60s. He left UMaine in 1971, traveled in Europe, lived in a lighthouse on the Maine coast, published a book of his poetry, Mother Tongue (Contraband Press, 1975), and held several nonacademic jobs. He has conducted poetry workshops in prisons and mental health centers in Maine and has taught as a Poet in Schools (K–12) in several public schools through programs sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts. He returned to the University of Maine in the ’80s, where he served as a lecturer in English and shepherded the creation of a Franco-American Studies program. He is retired and lives with his wife Joanna Young in Bangor, Maine.

herbertwest
09-22-2016, 07:48 AM
https://new.umaine.edu/umpress/forthcoming-books/hearts-in-suspension/

Hearts in Suspension by Stephen King, with personal narratives by college classmates and friends, edited and with an introduction by Jim Bishop

STEPHEN KING REMEMBERS A LOST ATLANTIS

This publication marks the 50th anniversary of Stephen King’s entrance into the University of Maine at Orono in the fall of 1966. The accelerating war in Vietnam and great social upheaval at home exerted a profound impact on students of the period and deeply influenced King’s development as a writer and as a man.

King’s fictional treatment of this experience in his novella “Hearts in Atlantis” (reprinted in this volume) tracks his youthful avatar, Peter Riley, through the awakenings and heartbreak of his turbulent first year at UMaine. In his accompanying essay, “Five to One, One in Five,” written expressly for this volume, King sheds his fictional persona and takes on the challenge of a nonfiction return to his undergraduate experience. The stereoscopic combination of these narratives, told with King’s characteristic blend of canny insight and self-deprecating humor, create a revealing portrait of the artist as young man and a ground-level tableau of this highly charged time.

In addition, twelve fellow students and friends from King’s college days contribute personal narratives recalling their own experience of those years. These recollections—engaged, irreverent, and affecting—bring dimension and texture to the collective witnessing of a formative time in their lives and a defining moment in the country’s history.

This book also includes four installments of King’s never-before-reprinted student newspaper column, “King’s Garbage Truck.” These lively examples of King’s damn-the-torpedoes style, entertaining and shrewd in their youthful perceptions, more than hint at a talent about to take its place in the American literary landscape.

A gallery of period photographs and documents augments this volume.

ISBN 978-0-89101-127-9 $30.00

PUBLICATION DATE: November 7, 2016

Resellers please inquire at (207) 581-1643 or by e-mailing skbook@maine.edu.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR AND EDITOR

STEPHEN KING

Stephen King is the author of more than fifty books—all of them bestsellers. His recent work includes Mr. Mercedes, Revival, Doctor Sleep, Finders Keepers, and Under the Dome, a major TV series on CBS. His novel 11/22/63 was named a top ten book of 2011 by the New York Times Book Review, and it was awarded the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Mystery/Thriller as well as the Best Hardcover Novel Award from the International Thriller Writers. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. In 2015 President Barack Obama presented King with the National Medal of Arts for his contributions to literature. Stephen King lives in Bangor, Maine, with his wife, novelist Tabitha King.

JIM BISHOP

Jim Bishop taught Stephen King, among many other talented students, as an instructor of English at the University of Maine in the late ’60s. He left UMaine in 1971, traveled in Europe, lived in a lighthouse on the Maine coast, published a book of his poetry, Mother Tongue (Contraband Press, 1975), and held several nonacademic jobs. He has conducted poetry workshops in prisons and mental health centers in Maine and has taught as a Poet in Schools (K–12) in several public schools through programs sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts. He returned to the University of Maine in the ’80s, where he served as a lecturer in English and shepherded the creation of a Franco-American Studies program. He is retired and lives with his wife Joanna Young in Bangor, Maine.

The page has been taken down from their website. Too many requests?

Br!an
09-22-2016, 10:01 AM
They have this page:

http://umaine.edu/umpress/forthcoming-books/hearts-in-suspension/

Bev Vincent
09-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Now available for pre-order. (http://umaine.edu/umpress/forthcoming-books/hearts-in-suspension/)

mikeC
09-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Sweet. Ordered! I love this kind of stuff Jim Bishop sounds like an interesting dude, I bet living in a lighthouse is loud as hell though.

Bev Vincent
11-07-2016, 05:20 AM
My review: http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/review-hearts-suspension-stephen-king-others/

Ben Mears
11-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks Bev.
Knowing it will never happen it would be interesting to see a small press publish Sword In The Darkness as a complement to Hearts In Suspension as it would give additional insight into SK's influences and state of mind during those turbulent years at UM.

mae
11-17-2016, 06:40 AM
A couple of short videos from the UMaine event: https://wabi.tv/2016/11/07/stephen-king-talks-new-book-at-umaine/ and http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/stephen-king-reflects-on-time-at-umaine-launches-new-book/349636146

No recording of the full event, apparently.

Bev Vincent
12-13-2016, 11:49 AM
The University of Maine is offering FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING on orders of Hearts in Suspension when you order with the University of Maine Press website. This offer is for U.S. shipping addresses and is for individual orders placed from now through December 21.

mae
12-16-2016, 02:25 PM
https://wabi.tv/2016/12/15/editor-of-latest-stephen-king-book-talks-path-to-publication/

The latest Stephen King book Hearts in Suspension has been on shelves for a little more than a month now.

The book’s editor Jim Bishop gave a talk at the Bangor Public Library Thursday night about the road to publication.

Bishop was King’s professor during his freshman year at the University of Maine.

In addition to editing he also wrote an essay that’s in the book which details what life was like on campus in the late 1960’s.

He talked about getting the world renowned author on board and open to taking part in events like the book launch that was held at the Collins Center for the Arts in November.

Bishop calls it the culmination of years of work.

He said once King turned in his essay it helped him to find the way he needed to approach things.

“It almost had a language of its own and an ethos of its own” Bishop said Thursday night. “You had to not only get back 50 years and reconstruct 50-year-old memories you had to put yourself back or try to put yourself back into that way of seeing, that way of thinking, that way of speaking, that way of relating.”

Bishop says that the book has been extremely well received and that sales have been solid out of the gate. Still plenty of time for all of you Christmas shoppers.

Bev Vincent
12-19-2016, 07:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4cmoIA_y0

mae
12-19-2016, 07:13 AM
Finally! Thanks, Bev.

jon10g
12-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Indeed thanks for posting that. It looks like it was an interesting evening. I would very much like to read the book but postage to the UK is now too much.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-22-2016, 12:28 AM
I would very much like to read the book but postage to the UK is now too much.

Get the ebook?

jon10g
12-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Do you have a link for that?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Do you have a link for that?

Not yet.