PDA

View Full Version : The Music Room: new story in the anthology "In Sunlight Or In Shadow"

Dan
04-01-2016, 04:21 PM
From King's Twitter feed

Photo's from the forthcoming book, HEARTS IN SUSPENSION. Hopefully this fall.

herbertwest
04-02-2016, 12:47 AM
Kevin Quiqley investigated
>>> http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/

Not a Joke, Not a Drill! Dept. Well, it's not the new book news we've been waiting for, but it's the next best thing. Lawrence Block, brilliant mystery & crime novelist (whose first book featuring Matthew Scudder appeared as a limited edition featuring a foreword by Stephen King) has edited a curious and exciting new book featuring stories inspired by the work of American emotional realist painter Edward Hopper. The roster of authors is fantastic - everyone from Joe R. Lansdale to Joyce Carol Oates to Block himself - but of interest here is what appears to be a brand-new story by Stephen King. No news on the story yet, but using deductive reasoning (as these are stories written to a theme), it doesn't seem premature to believe this is all new work. The book, In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper is out in hardcover December 6, and you can order it now!

http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/sunlightorshadow.jpeg

Bev Vincent
04-02-2016, 09:13 AM
I don't think these two things are related.

herbertwest
04-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Well, still a new short story.
Do you think that Steve's tweet was an April fool joke?

burial
04-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Well, still a new short story.
Do you think that Steve's tweet was an April fool joke?

Yep...

herbertwest
04-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I sort of remember hearing that Marsha said on the forum that they may be 2 comings out this year, but she couldnt say more.

herbertwest
04-02-2016, 09:46 AM
I forgot to include this from Kevin's post on his website :
"Second off: is this a new book? Is this a sequel to Hearts in Atlantis? In Stephen King Goes to the Movies, King revealed that there was a new story titled "The House on Benefit Street," a leftover story that had yet to be written. Perhaps, now, it has ... and perhaps there's a whole new book surrounding it. All I know is, there seems to be a new book coming, and the long wait for news of a post-End of Watch book might be over. Right now, all this is speculation (and, who knows, it might be an April Fool's prank). But keep your eyes on Charnel House, and we'll fill you in as soon as we can. This fall, huh? We can wait till the fall."

jhanic
04-02-2016, 10:54 AM
If I remember correctly, The House on Benefit Street was based on the Patty Hearst kidnapping by the SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army) radicals. There were supposed to be some portions of that story incorporated in Hearts in Atlantis. I think.

John

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Nope, that was The House on Value Street. Who knows, maybe King really has written this Benefit Street story and has shaped a new collection like HiA? Or maybe it really is an April Fool's joke...

burial
04-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Nope, that was The House on Value Street. Who knows, maybe King really has written this Benefit Street story and has shaped a new collection like HiA? Or maybe it really is an April Fool's joke...

In an introduction to Low men in yellow coats in SK goes to the movies king said that Benefit street was to be about carol...

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-02-2016, 12:50 PM
True. Let's hope it has finally been written

Kevbot
04-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Hey all! First off, I'm glad I have evidence of people using my page for research, 20 years in! Second off, yeah - In Sunlight or In Shadows was announced yesterday on Lawrence Block's blog/newsletter (if you haven't read any Block, he's one of King's favorites, and he even wrote a foreword to the limited edition of Block's The Sins of the Fathers). Every one of the stories in this collection is new, including King's. We don't have individual titles yet, but hopefully soon. Plus, you can pre-order the book already!

However, things are maddeningly vague on "Hearts In Suspension." Much has been made of King's "aberrant apostrophe" (as proof that King didn't write the tweet himself, I guess?) which it isn't; King was using it as a contraction for "the photo is from the forthcoming book." All the speculation I have is on my page. For real news, we'll all just have to sit tight and hope it wasn't an April Fool's prank.

And keep reading Charnel House!

herbertwest
04-03-2016, 04:02 AM
IMO, he writes the tweet himself. Authors can make mistakes too.

jsteltor
04-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Lee Child's website contains the title of his short story:
In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper (late 2016)
Lee’s story is “The Truth About What Happened” (based on the painting “Hotel Lobby” 1943

Bit of trivia: Edward Hopper has a reference in Bag of Bones
http://stephenking.com/library/novel/bag_of_bones_characters.html

burial
04-03-2016, 11:47 PM
King's story: "The Music Room"

Any ideas about painting that inspired that one?

Lilja
04-04-2016, 05:30 AM
The Musik Room in "In Sunlight or In Shadows" is a new story:
http://liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4803

"Hearts In Suspension" is not King's next book:
http://liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4805

Lilja

jhanic
04-04-2016, 05:35 AM
Thanks, Lilja!

John

Ari_Racing
04-04-2016, 08:12 AM
As always, Lilja is THE MAN! :)

Thanks, mate!

jsteltor
04-06-2016, 08:17 PM
From StephenKing.com:
There will be a new short story titled "The Music Room" published in December in an anthology titled In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper.

mae
06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Lilja reports that King read this story aloud yesterday:

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4919

Some photos from Pittsburgh, PA tonight. Fantastic evening, and King read us his short story The Music Room from the 'In Sunlight or In Shadow' collection edited by Lawrence Block coming out in December.

mae
06-09-2016, 03:06 PM
A bit more info, hopefully a recording will be uploaded to YouTube:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/north/2016/06/09/Stephen-King-knocks-em-dead-at-Sewickley-bookstore/stories/201606090038

A question-and -answer session was preceded by an author reading of a nasty little tale called “The Music Room.” It's about a married couple and their strange definition of hospitality.

herbertwest
06-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Intriguing...

Lilja
06-15-2016, 03:19 PM
The Music Room is a great story!

Bev Vincent
11-16-2016, 06:37 PM
It's up on Playboy's website: http://www.playboy.com/articles/fiction-the-music-room?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Native&utm_content=entertainment

herbertwest
11-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Thanks !
When is the book being released again?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-17-2016, 01:35 AM
Thanks !

6th December. Which makes this Playboy publication the 1st issue of this story.

mae
11-17-2016, 03:35 AM
It's up on Playboy's website: http://www.playboy.com/articles/fiction-the-music-room?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Native&utm_content=entertainment

It says it's an excerpt. Is it also in the magazine itself?

Bev Vincent
11-17-2016, 04:40 AM
Thanks !

December 6. My review is up at www.onyxreviews.com -- it's a great anthology.

Bev Vincent
11-17-2016, 04:44 AM

It says it's an excerpt. Is it also in the magazine itself?

It's excerpted from the anthology, but it's the entire story.

you ever seen a ghost?
11-17-2016, 07:11 AM
what is the date on the Playboy issue?

Bev Vincent
11-17-2016, 07:20 AM
what is the date on the Playboy issue?

It's tagged with December 2016 at the bottom of the page.

mae
11-17-2016, 07:25 AM
So if it's also in the magazine, I suppose that's the first publication.

Ari_Racing
11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Do we have confirmation it'll be printed in the magazine physical edition?

Bev Vincent
11-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Not yet.

Ben Mears
11-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks Bev.

Randall Flagg
11-20-2016, 08:05 AM
I love the painting that inspired the story, or vice versa.

Ari_Racing
11-21-2016, 03:32 AM
I saw the magazine being auctioned at ebay.com including the story.

mae
11-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Yeah looks like the story's in the magazine, the December 2016 issue, so that would be its first appearance:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxV0hEdVEAAFkq8.jpg

burial
11-22-2016, 01:59 AM
I saw the magazine being auctioned at ebay.com including the story.

Is the magazine already available for purchase?

mae
11-23-2016, 02:42 PM
It's on newsstands now.

dnemec
12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
How in the hell did I almost miss this?! Thankfully, my boyfriend still has a subscription and left it on my desk for me today!

Merlin1958
12-01-2016, 03:30 PM
How in the hell did I almost miss this?! Thankfully, my boyfriend still has a subscription and left it on my desk for me today!

Boyfriend? You mean it's over for us? After all we shared? LOL LOL :cry:

dnemec
12-01-2016, 04:59 PM

Sorry, Bill. But I did go out tonight and bought all the stuff I need for this year's baking, so you'll be getting something to ease your pain fairly soon...

Merlin1958
12-01-2016, 05:04 PM

Sorry, Bill. But I did go out tonight and bought all the stuff I need for this year's baking, so you'll be getting something to ease your pain fairly soon...

Well, I should hope so. I mean after all we have shared together!!!! LOL J/K LOL

I mean, don't tell my wife, but I thought you were the "one"!!! LOL LOL

Twoguysdarktower
12-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Has anyone picked up this book yet? I'm a fan of King, Block, and Hopper and have been looking forward to it. Hoping to get it for Christmas.

Are the Hopper paintings reproduced in the book? In color?

Bev Vincent
12-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Has anyone picked up this book yet? I'm a fan of King, Block, and Hopper and have been looking forward to it. Hoping to get it for Christmas.

Are the Hopper paintings reproduced in the book? In color?

The Hopper paintings are reproduced in color. There's one extra one at the front for which there's no story. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire anthology. What a diverse set of contributors he came up with.

Bev Vincent
01-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Nominated for an Edgar Award:

BEST SHORT STORY

"Oxford Girl" – Mississippi Noir by Megan Abbott (Akashic Books)
"A Paler Shade of Death" – St. Louis Noir by Laura Benedict (Akashic Books)
"Autumn at the Automat” – In Sunlight or in Shadow by Lawrence Block (Pegasus Books)
"The Music Room" – In Sunlight or in Shadow by Stephen King (Pegasus Books)
"The Crawl Space” – Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine by Joyce Carol Oates (Dell Magazines)

Twoguysdarktower
01-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Great news. I just finished the book last night. It is filled with good stories including the two nominees from two of my favorite writers. The book itself is beautifully produced and should be picked up. Highly recommended.

burial
06-14-2017, 02:22 AM
was there a 2nd printing of this hardcover?

mikeC
06-14-2017, 07:13 AM
Although he snuck in his alcohol is the root of all evil thing in there (if the man hadn't been drinking he wouldn't have been kidnapped)
I thought this was an excellent story.

mattgreenbean
06-14-2017, 11:11 AM
For future readers of TDT, Gwendy's Button Box audiobook includes bonus story "The Music Room". It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.