PDA

View Full Version : The Colorado Kid **spoilers**

Darkthoughts
01-26-2008, 08:36 AM
It'd usually only take me a day to read a book of this size, but I started this one a couple of weeks ago and only just finished today.

Why? Well, I could say I've been too busy, but to be honest if I'm really into a book I make time to read no matter what.
There's nothing wrong with the writing, or the characters and I enjoyed the idea of the story - but I wonder if the fact that King says right from the start, "this isn't really a story in that it doesn't have an end" in other words "unsolved mystery", I wonder if that disengaged my interest on some level?

Regardless of this, I still spent a very pleasant hour finishing the book (ok, so I read it in the pub with a nice cold pint and a side order of home fries) but it didn't grab me...what did you think?

Randall Flagg
01-26-2008, 08:40 AM
It was fair to me. As you said, starting out knowing it goes nowhere deflated me. I thought that the guy was a "walk in", but that is very unclear.

Darkthoughts
01-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Another thing I wondered was, if King was sort of subconciously defending his ambiguous ending of DT, by making a statement on narrative versus traditional start, middle, end form?

How do the timelines correlate, The Colorado Kid was written 2005, what was DT7 again?

albert_sy2
01-27-2008, 06:52 AM
no real ending... i didn't like it

funky dredd
01-27-2008, 09:09 AM
As far as reading the book went I did enjoy it, even the ending. But I picked up the audio book on sale for under $10 and gave it a listen. I absolutely loved how the guy did the Maine accents and it really made this an even enjoyable book. To me I think listening to this book was better than reading it, so if you can pick that up give it a listen. You might have a different outlook on it.

Daghain
01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I was iffy on it at first, but by the end I liked it. And I usually hate ambiguous endings. :lol:

It was a departure from "normal" King, so I had low expectations going in, but his characters were good and I loved all the Colorado references, so there you go. :)

3 DOORS DOWN
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I enjoyed the book from start to finish.There is one thing i noticed which i have not seen covered here and that is the books front cover.Now when i was in the book store the book was sold with 2 different covers,mine is the one with the colorado kid on the beach with his back to the waste basket.
If you read page 47 he is said to have one hand in his lap and the other-the right one- lying in the sand.This does not tally with the books cover,is this just a printing error or done to get us thinking of another DT link in some way.

jayson
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
As far as reading the book went I did enjoy it, even the ending. But I picked up the audio book on sale for under $10 and gave it a listen. I absolutely loved how the guy did the Maine accents and it really made this an even enjoyable book. To me I think listening to this book was better than reading it, so if you can pick that up give it a listen. You might have a different outlook on it.

I actually first attempted this book via audio and couldn't finish it. The Maine accents were a predominant factor in that, but the story was also doing very little for me. Later I tried to read it in actual book form. While I was able to finish it, I still didn't care for it very much. To me, it just never really went anywhere.

Darkthoughts
10-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Nice sig! :cool:

Yeah, I kinda liked the general gist of the story, but was disappointed...it should have been a couple of chapters in a book rather than a stand alone story.

funky dredd
10-09-2008, 05:59 AM

I actually first attempted this book via audio and couldn't finish it. The Maine accents were a predominant factor in that, but the story was also doing very little for me. Later I tried to read it in actual book form. While I was able to finish it, I still didn't care for it very much. To me, it just never really went anywhere.

I was the direct opposite. The first time I picked up the book I put it down, then later went back to read it fully. When I read it from start to finish I enjoyed it, but when I listened to the audio the whole book came to life for me.

Jean
10-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah, I kinda liked the general gist of the story, but was disappointed...it should have been a couple of chapters in a book rather than a stand alone story.
Very well said. I am going to borrow this when I finally get around to discussing Lisey's Story.

Darkthoughts
10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Ooohh!! I'm excited to hear that you'll be discussing Lisey's Story!

Or are you going to upset me? :unsure: :lol:

Jean
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

ksmithcats
12-12-2008, 06:18 AM
I liked it....a weird, nifty little tale.

cody44
12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Just started yesterday, and I think I'll post how I feel about it when I'm done.

pathoftheturtle
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Having just finished the Dark Tower series, King announced that he was retiring. Therefore, I was quite surprised to see his name suddenly turn up in the new books section, after all. I bought The Colorado Kid on the spot, and now you know that there was no chance, anyway, that I'd be lackadaisical about reading it.

I do think that it was a commentary by King on his own writing process, partly about DT, in consideration of options regarding future work. I love it.

As for whether it should have been published as a book in its own right or not, I don't think it's too important. It wasn't very expensive. I love having the volume in my collection.

The basic message is one that is quite pertinent for many modern readers, IMHO.

ChristineB
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I loved this one. The fact that it has no ending (that the author points out anyway) is one of the draws of it. He spins a great yarn about a mystery, then lets you decide where it leads.

Even in a few pages Stephen manages to make me hate putting the book down at the end because I have already grown fond of the characters and just don't want to leave them behind.

While this one might not hit my top 10 list (that list is just too hard to pick out half the time) it is far from my bottom 10.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I disliked this book so much I can't remember a thing about it. I would put it right on a par with LISEY'S STORY, which, unfortunately, I can remember parts of. I think it was the setting and the way the characters talked that really upset me, but I don't remember! Anyway, it's one of the few King books I didn't like. Can't win 'em all!

Sam
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I really enjoyed this one. I found the story to be compelling, and it was a fast read for me. Moreover, my wife read it. She doesn't read much King, but she loves mysteries. She read this story during one chemo session and really did enjoy it.

pinkymcfatfat
12-13-2009, 12:19 AM
"The Colorado Kid" was in part inspired by an Australian case in the 1940's of a dead body found with a snipet of an unknown code.

If you're interested, look up the 'Taman Shud Case'.

cody44
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Having just finished this book, I can see why people either love it or hate it. It's an interesting story even if the true heart of the mystery is never revealed. I think going into it knowing that the book lacks an answer gave me a better appreciation for what Stephen wanted to say.

I do have some theories as to why the Colorado Kid ended up dead on the beach. Does anyone else?

I think that he could have been a walk in, but not from another world. It would make sense if he just happened to come across a door that jumped from Colorado to Maine. I think the chocking was just a coincidence, and I don't know how to explain the Russian coin. I guess he must have gone on his own little journey with the doors. I don't really feel letdown that I'll never know what happened. It was still a strong story, and I really enjoyed the characters.

Anyway... :pullhair::panic::excited: -mixed emotions with this book

pathoftheturtle
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
...It would make sense if he just happened to come across a door that jumped from Colorado to Maine. ...Does a door like that make sense to you? I guess it's all about perspective.

Xanthus
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Its funny, I also thought he could be a walkin or something. I read it thru hoping that there would be "easter eggs" for other SK work especially tDT series

pinkymcfatfat
12-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Yeah, I have a couple of theories, and just re-read the book to double check.

1. This is NOT 'Earth Prime'. The dates of the existance of 'Starbucks' in Denver is incorrect and 'Blockbuster' was yet to exist. I've checked and confirmed this. As to what Earth it is, I have no idea.

2. I do believe that the 'Kid' was taken on a private jet (although I don't entirely discount the theories that he somehow went todash or was taken through a door). Who do I believe chartered this jet? Low Men in Yellow Coats, possibly working for Sombra.

3. The 'Kid' was an artist. I think this is somehow vital to why he was taken, and also why he was killed. Could be have been working on the side for Sombra? He did work almost exclusively at home, so his work could not have easily been tracked.

4. Was the 'Kid' possibly a 'Breaker'? We all know Dinky Earnshaw traded his talents for a crappy house in Ohio and a mere $70 a week. Did the 'Kid' trade his talent for his little house in the mountains?

5. The 'Kid' evidently knew once he was taken, he would NOT be coming home again under any circumstances. He also knew that he would not have any identification on his body when it would be discovered. Hence the pack of cigs and why I think Low Men were involved.

6. As for the Russian coin, I think he might have found it on the private jet and pocketed it.

7. He tried to be seen by local folks at two different points. Once at the restaurant,, and more importantly on the Ferry, going so far as to mention that this trip was 'a long time coming'. That's a pretty strange thing to say to someone and something apt to be remembered. Particularly when you know you're going to be dead soon.

This is all just conjecture on my part, but what in the world was he needed for in Maine? Was he needed to make one last very important drawing?

ChristineB
12-16-2009, 06:09 AM
As soon as they started talking about the closeness of the timing of his journey from Colorado to Maine I thought of the short story Mrs. Todd's Shrotcut. Something like this can easily explain how he got so far so fast.

pinkymcfatfat
12-16-2009, 06:24 AM
ChristineB, I also thought of "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"...But I do think that Dave and Vince probably got it right when they figured out it was a private jet. A corporation like Sombra could easily have gotten one.

cody44
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, but I guess we'll never know for sure. I almost feel bad in a way, because by poking a guess at the ending, we are going against why the ending is ambiguous to begin with.

Still, I'm curious.

Does a door like that make sense to you? I guess it's all about perspective.

Yes, very much so. The more I think about it however, the more my mind wants to rule out the door idea. I'm curious why everyone is so inclined to link this story to the Dark Tower. Maybe someday we will get an answer, but I really doubt it.

pinkymcfatfat
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
'Curious' doesn't even begin to cover what I'm feeling...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Just listened to the audiobook. I think I would have struggled through an actual reading, because no part of the story really grabbed my attention. The only part that I did really enjoy were the two old islander characters, and their accents, which were done quite well on the audiobook. It was enjoyable to listen to, but I was quite disappointed with the ending, or rather the lack of one. This is the last SK novel that I had not yet read, except Sleeping Beauties, and I have avoided it because the only copy I had was the S&L, and didn’t want to wear my copy. I’m happy I chose to listen instead.

mae
01-21-2023, 02:42 PM
The Losers Club Podcast episode on the novel:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/podcasts/3747775/the-colorado-kid-losers-club/