PDA

View Full Version : Batman help & Dock Woloper

Still Servant
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Has anybody read Ed Burns' new comic Dock Woloper? I think it's pretty good. I'm a sucker for noir/gangster stuff.

My other question is about Batman. I just recently got into comics. I've never been into the whole superhero comics. Some of them have been around for so long I feel like I'd be lost.

That being said, the one superhero I've always liked is Batman. I always thought it was cool that he didn't have any superpowers.

I kind of want to get into the Batman comics, but I don't know where to start. I'd rather start with recent stuff. Is there any new Batman stuff that I should keep my eyes open for?

Thanks.

Jimmy
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the fold. I'm not sure how recent you want it, but here goes...

Batman : Year One - Initially released in the 80's, it remains the definitive modernization of who and what Batman is. A good chunk of Batman Begins was based off of Year One.

Batman : The Long Halloween - Takes place soon after the events of Year One and focuses on a year long mystery involving Bruce, Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent.

The Killing Joke - The seminal Joker tale.

Arhkam Asylum - Getting to know Batman's rogue's gallery one sick twisted bastard at a time.

No Man's Land - Gotham City is destroyed by an earthquake. The U.S Government cuts off federal aid and lets the city fend for itself.

JLA : Tower of Babel - The Justice League is taken down simultaneously by an assailant using Batman's fail safes against his team mates.

Hush - A deconstruction of Batman after he is gravely injured by someone who knows him inside and out.

Good luck and happy reading!

Still Servant
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks Jimmy.

That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

:)

Jimmy
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
No problem. I only use my geeky powers for good.

Scoogs
01-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Not new, but don't forget The Dark Knight Returns.

Jimmy
01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Not new, but don't forget The Dark Knight Returns.

I stuck with the in-continuity stuff just to cause no confusion. Still Servant should build up a true enjoyment of Batman before delving into TDK or there's a chance he might not be able to fully appreciate the story.