PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer to win?

Randall Flagg
01-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Non-binding poll.
If you won this years Grand Prize, which book would you prefer be inscribed to you?

Keep in mind that the winner can not submit their own book (too much liability, one year a book was lost).

S&S 3 pack:

http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781501142062/mr-mercedes-trilogy-boxed-set-9781501142062_hr.jpg

webstar1000
01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
My 1st of IT.... Always a dream of mine...

Edit: sorry one of Kings 1st's of IT:) since you cannot send your own in.

carlosdetweiller
01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Non-binding poll.
If you won this years Grand Prize, which book would you prefer be inscribed to you?

Keep in mind that the winner can not submit their own book (too much liability, one year a book was lost).

The Caretakers by Tabitha King

Dan
01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I will go with his newest at the time, End of Watch.

Randall Flagg
01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Non-binding poll.

The Caretakers by Tabitha King

Good thing it's non-binding. If you actually won, you might change your mind.

T-Dogz_AK47
01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Non-binding poll.

If I won (which is highly unlikely), I would like to ask for one of my CD Artist Editions to be inscribed. Although I fully understand the reason why we cannot submit our own books, I would however be prepared to take full responsibility for the book's potential loss or damage, in the event that I won and could submit my own book to be inscribed. I would also be prepared to bear the brunt of the international postage costs associated in sending King one of my books....

Randall Flagg
01-03-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm always open to new ideas. A CD artist edition is one thing to consider for submission (if lost a replacement could be obtained at a reasonable cost), but if a Grand Prize winner wanted to submit an irreplaceable item it would be a great risk, but also a great reward.

webstar1000
01-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm always open to new ideas. A CD artist edition is one thing to consider for submission (if lost a replacement could be obtained at a reasonable cost), but if a Grand Prize winner wanted to submit an irreplaceable item it would be a great risk, but also a great reward.

I would have no issue sending a 1st IT... If it's lost... I'm out $50-75 bucks.. Worth the risk to me...

bdwyer19
01-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Having one of my own books inscribed. Yes, it's a risk, but 1st editions (of most books) or Gift Editions are easy to replace if accidentally lost.

tippy4
01-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I think it is too early for a poll.

Today my answer would be TBOBD based on my assumption of no signing for that title.....and the uncertainty of a signing for EOW.

jhanic
01-03-2016, 04:17 PM
I voted for The Bazaar of Bad Dreams as long as it's a signed copy.

John

Randall Flagg
01-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I think it is too early for a poll.

Today my answer would be TBOBD based on my assumption of no signing for that title.....and the uncertainty of a signing for EOW.
That's why it is non-binding (for the Fundraiser and for members). Just a bit of fun.
I'll edit the poll to indicate it's only active for 10 days and will be archived.
Pretty boring with no King signing in the offing so we have to create our own fun.

Theli
01-03-2016, 04:48 PM
I'd love to go for a book of our signed, at our expense/risk, but I understand that it might not be something that is feasible, and if that were the case I'd probably vote for the Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Patrick
01-03-2016, 05:32 PM
I voted for the trilogy once I confirmed that they are hardcovers.

wizardsrainbow
01-03-2016, 10:44 PM
End of Watch for me.

Merlin1958
01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Seems to me that there should be a decent chance of a signing for EOW. It being the final book and all. JMHO I voted BOBD.

Oh, and since I am FINALLY going to win this year my opinion counts twice!!!! LOL LOL LOL

The Library Policeman
01-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Yep, BOBD. Just because...!

mae
01-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Scribner lists the box as hardcover, see the thread for End of Watch over at The Oracle.

Aronstg
01-05-2016, 09:52 AM
I would have to say a 1st/1st of IT as well, if the rules would be changed. I know that I would eat the $50-$75 if the book were to get lost. I also like the idea of the Artist Editions. I know it has happened once in the past but I would think the chances of another book getting lost would be pretty slim.

Patrick
01-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Scribner lists the box as hardcover, see the thread for End of Watch over at The Oracle.
Will do. Thanks, Pablo.

firemonkey66
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I would love to have my UK Tommyknockers signed. That would be cool. I suppose I would sacrifice it to the postal service if they chose to lose it. They could put it with my other stuff that has disappeared en route.

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2016, 06:41 AM
It is always possible to sign a waiver that says if the Post office loses it you are out of luck so that no party is at fault and a risk on your own part...

or you could just say no personal books. That works too :)

Bunyip
01-07-2016, 09:17 PM
For me, Deadzone, I bought it in a newsagent in Thailand. I was on holiday with my girlfriend. We were working in 5 star hotels in Dubai. I met her there. It was a dreadful holiday, we fought every day. I sat by the pool drinking pina coladas with my head in the book. Best part of the 10k holiday was that $5 book. My only happy escape. Read it in one sitting.
The other one would be "on Writing" which I found incredibly informative and inspiring. I was single by then, living in a company provided studio apartment. I could turn my tv on with my toe from bed. Sadly, when it came on, I only had Indian MTV or Arabic news. You can only watch fat Indian guys with bushy mustaches dance in bright shirts for so long before you wish Pennywise upon them.
This brings me to It. The first I ever read, in the back of chemistry in grade 9(14-15 yr old)
Any of the above, or The Stand, or Gunslinger...

Randall Flagg
03-09-2016, 02:45 PM
It wasn't a poll option, but I'd love to hear thoughts on a King inscribed "Lettered" (the unsigned version donated by PS Pubishing).
King only signed 26, and to my knowledge never inscribed one.
That could be the absolute rarest of the rare.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1454361614-Thinner%20lettered%208%20group.JPG

Tommy
03-09-2016, 02:57 PM
That would be pretty sweet! I love Thinner. I have a copy of Creepshow I've gotten signed by Tom Savini, Tom Atkins and pretty soon, George Romero. I would LOVE to get that signed.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Not just signed, but inscribed to the winner.

Roseannebarr
03-09-2016, 03:11 PM
It wasn't a poll option, but I'd love to hear thoughts on a King inscribed "Lettered" (the unsigned version donated by PS Pubishing).

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1454361614-Thinner%20lettered%208%20group.JPG

I think this could bring some good $$ for the haven foundation. i think its a GREAT auction item.

i would still like my trilogy signed. i loved the series so far. i think this would make a great auction item. i would bid on it!

Aronstg
03-09-2016, 03:34 PM

I could get behind this. My preference would still be a 1st/1st IT but this would still make for a cool item.

Have you entertained the idea of giving the winner an option? Maybe having 3 books to choose from that are either in your hands or easily and affordable obtainable? (Thinner lettered, TBOBD, CD Doubleday Gift Edition, Affordable 1st/1st like IT, Mr. Mercedes)

webstar1000
03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
RF I think that's a fantastic idea:)

Randall Flagg
03-18-2016, 01:09 PM
We are strongly leaning towards allowing the winner choose one book from these three titles:

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

Auctioning off the unsigned "Lettered" Thinner will help the Fundraiser totals more than designating it as the book the winner would have inscribed.
Not etched in stone yet. Thoughts please.

Roseannebarr
03-18-2016, 01:37 PM
We are strongly leaning towards allowing the winner choose one book from these three titles:

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

Auctioning off the unsigned "Lettered" Thinner will help the Fundraiser totals more than designating it as the book the winner would have inscribed.

I would be happy to purchase the trilogy set if i won and have that signed. My preference in order is

1. trilogy set
2. Bazzar
3. end of watch
4. Mr Mercedes

bdwyer19
03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I like that, RF. Having a choice will be good.

Aronstg
03-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

I love the idea of having a choice! I also agree that the Lettered Thinner will help the fundraising total more, even though it would have made a sweet choice.

Are the Gift Editions of Carrie or Salem's Lot from CD off the table? Obviously I think people will be happy no matter what they win but Finder's Keepers and End of Watch are part of a trilogy and some collectors might have a tough time only have part of the triology signed. Just my two cents. Obviously if that is the case they could still choose TBOBD. Thanks for listening to the people!!

Merlin1958
03-18-2016, 01:59 PM

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

As "Chief Haven Fund Organizer Emeritus" I approve of this post!!! LOL LOL

webstar1000
03-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Tough tough call... Take some thinking!

Randall Flagg
03-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

I love the idea of having a choice! I also agree that the Lettered Thinner will help the fundraising total more, even though it would have made a sweet choice.

Are the Gift Editions of Carrie or Salem's Lot from CD off the table? Obviously I think people will be happy no matter what they win but Finder's Keepers and End of Watch are part of a trilogy and some collectors might have a tough time only have part of the triology signed. Just my two cents. Obviously if that is the case they could still choose TBOBD. Thanks for listening to the people!!
The CD gift editions are not "off the table". We simply don't have them available, and a spare in case of loss.

Randall Flagg
03-18-2016, 07:23 PM
BTW, isn't the hope that King personalizes a book to the winner enough motivation!
I find it hard to believe that the winner would not be happy.

but Finder's Keepers and End of Watch are part of a trilogy and some collectors might have a tough time only have part of the triology signed.

That's a fussy collector that doesn't want only one of the trilogy inscribed to them.
I hope that type of person doesn't win as no matter what they would be unhappy.

Aronstg
03-18-2016, 07:27 PM
BTW, isn't the hope that King personalizes a book to the winner enough motivation!
I find it hard to believe that the winner would not be happy.

but Finder's Keepers and End of Watch are part of a trilogy and some collectors might have a tough time only have part of the triology signed.

That's a fussy collector that doesn't want only one of the trilogy inscribed to them.
I hope that type of person doesn't win as no matter what they would be unhappy.

I was just making an observation. Also isn't this board full of "fussy" collectors? :)

Randall Flagg
03-18-2016, 07:30 PM
The winner could always decline and pass the prize to the alternate.

Aronstg
03-18-2016, 07:38 PM
The winner could always decline and pass the prize to the alternate.

That they could be I'm guessing that having a choice of books will reduce that chances to next to nil.

Regardless of what books are there to choose from, I'm just pretty excited that there is a choice. I appreciate people who listen to suggestions even when they don't need to. :) I know that I'm going to make another donation right now based solely on that gesture.

Tommy
03-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

Anything personalized to me from King would be an absolute treasure. My top Pick outside of these listed would be a 1st/1st It. That's my favorite King book. Of the ones listed, I would go for either FK or BOBD. I haven't read EOW yet but there will be a tour and plenty of signed (not inscribed though) copies to be had. So getting FK inscribed and then a signed EOW gives you 2/3 of King's only Trilogy signed. It's a tough call when I want them all.

Brian861
03-18-2016, 11:01 PM
An inscribed copy of any King book to me personally by the man himself would be priceless. Priceless to me anyway. And the chance at that for only $100 bucks? Even more priceless. Therefore I say auction the lettered and award the inscription to the winner. My 2c.

tippy4
03-18-2016, 11:14 PM

Finders Keepers
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
End of Watch

Since you asked.....

Because of the Maine event....signed copies of Finders Keepers are not difficult to acquire. They might not be as cheap as a a signed copy of Revival, but there is always one on eBay or ABE if you want it.

Likewise, with 4,800 copies of End of Watch about to be signed, it will not be difficult to acquire one of those either.

However, there have been very few signed copies of Mr. Mercedes available.

I would either add a fourth option of Mr. Mercedes, or replace EOW or FK with Mr. Mercedes.

Full disclosure...I already own signed copies of MM and FK, and were I lucky enough to win the Grand Prize this year, I would chose TBOBD.

Brian861
03-18-2016, 11:21 PM
But it will be personally inscribed to the winner, not just a flat sig. Therein lays the difference that I think keeps getting overlooked possibly.

webstar1000
03-19-2016, 02:23 AM
Yeah Tippy I would agree with you 100%.

at_one
03-19-2016, 04:31 AM
I would take any book inscribed to me....I really could care less about it's "value" or "collectibility". It would be a one-of-a-kind!!!

The Library Policeman
03-19-2016, 04:33 AM
I'll take anything dedicated to me and my daughter if I win. Old napkin... toilet paper (preferably unused)... anything.

I'd rather have a BOBD tho :evil:

zelig
03-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Any signed and inscribed book would be cherished. I agree with Tippy. FK was easy to get and so will EOW. Like many of us, I still don't have a signed MM so either adding it or substituting FK or EOW with it would make it more desirable.

Brian861
03-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I would take any book inscribed to me....I really could care less about it's "value" or "collectibility". It would be a one-of-a-kind!!!

:thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
04-09-2016, 12:54 PM
I am considering The Bill Hodges Trilogy, but it isn't schedule for release until 6/28/2016. It likely wouldn't be signed and in the winners hands until late July, early August. Only one of the books would be inscribed.

http://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages/9781501142062_p0_v3_s192x300.jpg

Cook
04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
TBOBD

Randall Flagg
04-09-2016, 02:01 PM
More and more likely is to offer a choice for the winner of BOBD, EOW, or BH trilogy. That would seem to please 90% of the poll choices.

Any one of those should be a thrill as the SK inscription (as Cook, cit74, etc. can attest) is what matters most.

Brian861
04-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Pretty much impossible to go wrong either way with the SK inscription I'd say.