PDA

View Full Version : Scribner acquires most of King's back catalog

Bev Vincent
10-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Major Publishing Agreement Includes Print, Digital and Audio Formats To be Published by Scribner, Pocket Books, Gallery, and Simon & Schuster Audio

NEW YORK, October 12, 2015—In a landmark publishing agreement, Stephen King’s publisher of twenty years Scribner has acquired North American and Open Market print, e-book, and audio rights to almost the entirety of the bestselling author’s body of work. The 27 titles in the agreement include classic Stephen King novels such as: IT, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, Christine, Cujo, The Dead Zone, and Firestarter; the novella collections Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight; and the first four volumes of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series (please see attached for a full list of titles). E-book and e-audio editions of the acquired titles will be available from Scribner and Simon & Schuster Audio beginning on January 1, 2016. Print editions in trade and mass market paperback from the Scribner, Pocket Books, and Gallery imprints will follow. News of the agreement was announced today by Nan Graham, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Scribner and Stephen King’s editor.

“It’s a no-brainer, really,” said Stephen King. “Good publishing and good relationships equals happy writers and long shelf life. I know from experience that this group of people—at Scribner, at Pocket, at Simon & Schuster Audio, and throughout the company—values the work I do, and wants to find as many readers as possible for the books I write, both now and in the future. Trusting them with this large body of work is my pleasure. We are excellent allies and good friends.”

“Since we first began publishing Stephen King with Bag of Bones, he has continually challenged and inspired us, bringing to us new and exciting books of astonishing range and variety, that are each and every one an event for reader and publisher alike,” said Carolyn Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer of Simon & Schuster, Inc. “So after nearly twenty years in which he has energized and touched nearly every part of our company, we well know and understand the strength and power of his backlist, and are simply overjoyed to have this rare opportunity to bring to Simon & Schuster this vibrant and vital catalog of Stephen’s earlier works.”

“As we are daily grateful to Scribner’s Max Perkins for F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway, our successors will be grateful to us for Stephen King, whose books will get under the skin of readers long after we are gone,” said Nan Graham. “Scribner is honored and thrilled to have published Steve for two decades, to look forward to a future of publishing him, and to take on this magnificent backlist. In addition to being one of the greatest storytellers of all time, Stephen King is a stellar citizen of the book world. We love his writing. We love him.”

“For almost the entire course of my long career in publishing, Stephen King has been a towering feature of the international book publishing landscape,” said Susan Moldow, President of the Scribner Publishing Group. “Empires have risen and fallen, but Stephen King has continued to both dominate bestseller and year-end best-of lists. It is a joy beyond imagining to welcome these core titles to Scribner’s venerable backlist.”

“Pocket Books enthusiastically embraces adding these wonderful books to our existing King backlist program which continues to provide robust sales for all of our booksellers in paperback,” said Louise Burke, President of the Gallery Books Publishing Group.

“Stephen King’s support for the audiobook medium is unmatched by any author,” said Chris Lynch, President and Publisher, Simon & Schuster Audio. “From his willingness to publish original audiobooks to his advocacy of the joys of listening to his occasional stints behind the microphone, Steve has been the perfect publishing partner from day one. We are thrilled to expand that partnership.”

In the two decades since Scribner became Stephen King’s publisher, he has written many of his most critically-acclaimed books, from Lisey’s Story to On Writing, from the culmination of the Dark Tower series to Under the Dome and 11/22/63. In this time, he has also won numerous literary honors, from the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters to the National Medal of Arts, recently presented by President Obama. King’s audiobooks have won multiple Audie Awards, including Best Fiction wins for Doctor Sleep, Duma Key, and The Talisman and Audible Audiobook of the Year wins for 11/22/63 and Doctor Sleep. Stephen King’s short story collection The Bazaar of Bad Dreams will be published by Scribner on November 3.
Nan Graham negotiated the agreement on behalf of Scribner, Gallery/Pocket Books, and Simon & Schuster Audio with literary agent Chuck Verrill of Darhansoff & Verrill.
Scribner is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc., a part of CBS Corporation. Simon & Schuster is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom. For more information visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com

mae
10-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Cool. What's left out, if it's "most"?

burial
10-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Cool. What's left out, if it's "most"?

It seems that they bought rights to Viking's books... and not Doubleday's titles.

Br!an
10-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Since they already own everything after 1998, and just acquired almost everything published prior, there can't be much left.

Bev Vincent
10-12-2015, 07:12 AM
These are the books covered by the agreement. Some of the Doubleday books had already transitioned over -- Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and Pet Sematary.

Christine
Cujo
Cycle of the Werewolf
The Dark Half
The Dead Zone
Desperation
Different Seasons
Dolores Claiborne
The Eyes of the Dragon
Firestarter
Four Past Midnight
Gerald’s Game
IT
Misery
Needful Things
Rose Madder
Skeleton Crew
The Tommyknockers
The Long Walk (writing as Richard Bachman)
Roadwork (writing as Richard Bachman)
The Running Man (writing as Richard Bachman)
Thinner (writing as Richard Bachman)
The Regulators (writing as Richard Bachman)
The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower series)
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower series)
The Wastelands (The Dark Tower series)
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower series)

At a quick glance: The Stand, The Talisman, Black House, Danse Macabre, Joyland, Colorado Kid, Night Shift

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Very cool deal. Can't wait to see all of the new covers and editions for these books, I bet they'll be outstanding.

Brian

Bev Vincent
10-12-2015, 07:18 AM
You know what this means? The possibility of a unified Dark Tower series!

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 07:25 AM
You know what this means? The possibility of a unified Dark Tower series!

Yep, that was my very first thought!

Brian

mae
10-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Unified? But it's already unified, I have all eight book in nice uniform Grant volumes.

Bev Vincent
10-12-2015, 07:52 AM
A massive, Bible-sized omnibus edition is now a possibility, though!

webstar1000
10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Unified? But it's already unified, I have all eight book in nice uniform Grant volumes.

Yeah I'm lost to on what a Unified set would mean....

mae
10-12-2015, 08:44 AM

That would be an impossibly large book. Using original Grant page counts (and the revised Gunslinger), it would be 3,946 pages. Adding Wind would wind it up to 4,282. I don't think any binding would be able to withstand that. They could do a nice uniform reissue boxed set, though. But I'm okay with the Grant editions.

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Matching trim sizes, cover artwork for each book that feels unified like the books are part of a set, etc. You'll definitely be seeing a Dark Tower boxset in time for the holidays one of these years for sure.

Brian

Bev Vincent
10-12-2015, 09:18 AM

There are a lot of people out there who don't have access to the Grant editions.

Ben Staad
10-12-2015, 09:21 AM
That is true. I wasn't that excited about this news however that is a good point.

There are a lot of people out there who don't have access to the Grant editions.

killjoy72
10-12-2015, 09:32 AM
I feel sorry for those completists who have to have everything!

mae
10-12-2015, 09:35 AM
At a quick glance: The Stand, The Talisman, Black House, Danse Macabre, Joyland, Colorado Kid, Night Shift

Well, The Talisman and Black House were already reissued by Scribner not too long ago: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15036

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 09:35 AM
This news does mean there will be a lot of new trade editions for the completist who must have one of everything... definitely trade paperbacks and mass market paperbacks and audiobooks, maybe even trade hardcovers if S&S sees a market for that sort of re-issue. New trade hardcovers could be done for certain titles like The Dark Tower books where most readers don't have the early hardcovers. It depends on how much interest S&S sees from the marketplace for that sort of thing. It could be like their trade hardcover of The Green Mile, which came out years after the paperbacks, for example. Or the way Doubleday reissued the early books in those B&W hardcovers.

In terms of the publishing world, for those who follow more than just SK collecting, this is HUGE news. You rarely see this many backlist titles from an actively writing, still alive household name change hands from the original publisher to someone new. This had to be a monumental deal to work on. I bet Chuck and everyone else involved will need a good, long nap!

Brian

herbertwest
10-12-2015, 09:43 AM

We have it in France. Well the 6 books, over 2 giant dictionnary-sized unreadable books :p

jhanic
10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm not THAT much of a completist. I'll probably pass on the new trade hardcovers unless they REALLY appeal to me for some reason.

John

Ben Staad
10-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Same here. I've passed on a number of recent items for this reason. I'm just not that interested in them.

I'm not THAT much of a completist. I'll probably pass on the new trade hardcovers unless they REALLY appeal to me for some reason.

John

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 10:20 AM

I doubt there are many people who ARE that much of a completist, ha! But they might make nice gifts at Christmas time. You'd be surprised how many Doubleday SK hardcovers I sold in November and December in the 1990s when I was working at Waldenbooks. The Stand was really expensive for a trade hardcover at that point, but they made great gifts! ;)

Brian

webstar1000
10-12-2015, 10:39 AM
I would love to see CD do a Dark Tower box set... Is that not a possibility because Grant has the rights to those books?

Brian James Freeman
10-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I would love to see CD do a Dark Tower box set... Is that not a possibility because Grant has the rights to those books?

Limited Edition rights are granted for a set print run and/or a limited time frame, usually reverting back to the author pretty quickly after publication. For some authors, this explains why you might have multiple Limited Editions over the years of the same book.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the specific contracts with Grant, but I suspect that S&S or anyone else who came up with a proposal that Steve liked could be permitted to publish a nice hardcover box set. But, on the other hand, no one other than Grant in the US has been permitted to publish any special editions of the Dark Tower series, so Steve might like to keep it that way! It's hard to say what the future might hold...

Brian

Johnny Alien
10-12-2015, 11:46 AM
They weren't special editions but there was that limited run of Viking hardcovers done of I-IV.

Br!an
10-12-2015, 12:21 PM
As a collector I don't yet know whether anything exciting and collectible will result of this.

As a Stephen King fan and a bibliophile it's pretty interesting though.

SystemCrashOverRide
10-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Despite owning a hardcover Dark Tower set, it would be nice to see another complete hardcover set emerge with new artwork. I would likely purchase that.

mikeC
10-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Hopefully this means Dead Zone and Skeleton Crew audiobooks. YEA!

mtdman
10-12-2015, 03:34 PM

This is the only thing I really care about in this deal. I own very few Stephen King paper, printed books.

mae
10-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I own very few Stephen King paper, printed books.

What?? :eek:

Ben Mears
10-13-2015, 03:51 AM
Hopefully this means Dead Zone... audiobook. YEA!

+1

Ari_Racing
10-13-2015, 08:01 AM
The Talisman and Black House were already published by Scribner a couple of years ago. So I guess the only rights they don't have are

The Stand, Danse Macabre, Joyland, Colorado Kid, Night Shift

mtdman
10-13-2015, 10:16 AM

I own The Talisman, because someone gave it to me for a present. I bought Black House, and my wife gave me Mr Mercedes after I listened to it on audio. I have The Stand as well, I think that's the only book I actually read, with my eyes, more than once that King wrote. That's it. I don't get in to owning books, they collect dust and take up space.

webstar1000
10-13-2015, 10:28 AM

I own The Talisman, because someone gave it to me for a present. I bought Black House, and my wife gave me Mr Mercedes after I listened to it on audio. I have The Stand as well, I think that's the only book I actually read, with my eyes, more than once that King wrote. That's it. I don't get in to owning books, they collect dust and take up space.

LOL Thats why 99% of us are here. To collect books and have them take up space. haha

Ben Staad
10-13-2015, 01:14 PM
With moving 3 times in essentially three years there is no "LOL" in regards to taking up space. They are a bitch to pack,unpack, and move over and over again. :emot-cthulhu: I sometimes think my book collection is evil and punishing me every time I move.

LOL Thats why 99% of us are here. To collect books and have them take up space. haha

needfulthings
10-13-2015, 01:38 PM
:lol:Only been around since 1985
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/8459/8ZgUS7.jpg

Kevbot
10-13-2015, 03:13 PM

+1

The Dead Zone audio by Lorelei King has been out since 2007! http://www.worldcat.org/title/dead-zone/oclc/676767779

I'm looking forward to a Pet Sematary audio - there's never been one!

Kevbot
10-13-2015, 03:14 PM

This one isn't commercially available anymore, sadly. They broke it up into 2 collections and neither are complete. If only they could digitize the Muller versions, I would be so happy.

Br!an
10-13-2015, 04:34 PM

This is the only thing I really care about in this deal. I own very few Stephen King paper, printed books.

I've never listened to an audiobook. (I own and have read a shitload of printed books.)

Roseannebarr
10-13-2015, 05:23 PM

I've never listened to an audiobook. (I own and have read a shitload of printed books.)

Brian. You have to listen to on writing. Narrated by Stephen king. It is riviting and quite enjoyable! Biography and his writing process. He talks about his accident at the end! I drive 80 minutes a day to and from work. Sat in my car at home just to listen!

Roseannebarr
10-13-2015, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=mikeC;953005]Hopefully this means Dead Zone and Skeleton Crew audiobooks. YEA!

Brian. You have to listen to on writing. Narrated by Stephen king. It is riviting and quite enjoyable! Biography and his writing process. He talks about his accident at the end! I drive 80 minutes a day to and from work. Sat in my car at home just to listen![/QUOTE

Listening to him read his stories is better than reading them! I found some of the other narrators annoying. Drunken firework. Justin long did a great narrating one of his stories! Listening to night shift stories and hearing them all over again was quite fun

needfulthings
10-13-2015, 05:54 PM

This one isn't commercially available anymore, sadly. They broke it up into 2 collections and neither are complete. If only they could digitize the Muller versions, I would be so happy.

I think you will find that the Muller Skelton Crew collection was 100% complete.
http://imageshack.com/a/img911/508/fFpbxc.jpg

mikeC
10-14-2015, 10:01 AM

I think you will find that the Muller Skelton Crew collection was 100% complete.
http://imageshack.com/a/img911/508/fFpbxc.jpg

I don't have a tape player. These are also hard to find.
There are no digital or cd or mp3 or good quality versions available. There was one post one youtube that was ok but had commercials If you want to rip it, clean up the tape noise and send it to me that would be great until then I hope they either release a new version or good quality version of the Muller ones.:lol:

The Dead Zone listed above has never been commercially available so hopefully we will get a new version or this one made available.

skyofcrack
10-14-2015, 10:14 AM

+1

The Dead Zone audio by Lorelei King has been out since 2007! http://www.worldcat.org/title/dead-zone/oclc/676767779

I'm looking forward to a Pet Sematary audio - there's never been one!

There's a Pet Sematary BBC radio dramatization.

Kevbot
10-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Trust me - I've done a LOT of research on this topic. I even wrote a book about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Your-Ears-Kevin-Quigley-ebook/dp/B005WJAYMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444847222&sr=8-1&keywords=blood+in+your+ears

Dan
10-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Trust me - I've done a LOT of research on this topic. I even wrote a book about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Your-Ears-Kevin-Quigley-ebook/dp/B005WJAYMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444847222&sr=8-1&keywords=blood+in+your+ears

You're that Kevin! Nice to hear your on this forum. I have several of your chapbooks and rather enjoy them. I recently read The Terrestrial Hell. Great collection!

mikeC
10-14-2015, 11:54 AM
I read it too. Great job Kevin!

mtdman
10-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Yeah I noticed that. Everyone needs a hobby or something to collect, I guess. Me, I'd like to get rid of all the actual paper books I own. I'm going to work on building one of those mini free libraries this winter for outside my house. Hopefully I can dump a lot of books off on people using that.

Ok. Don't really care if people like to listen to audio books or not. I got into it because I have hours and hours all day to listen to something. Music got old quick, audio books were convenient. I listen to several podcasts as well. I find now that I started with the audio books I rarely actually read, I don't even like to read books myself any more. But it's not for everyone.

Br!an
10-15-2015, 03:33 AM
Ok. Don't really care if people like to listen to audio books or not. .

I have no idea if I would like it since I've never listened to one.

I think I might take Glen's advice and listen to On Writing.

WeDealInLead
10-15-2015, 06:25 AM
On Writing is the only book read by King that I could get through. That was probably because it was non-fiction. I did like hearing him read other books too, but the appeal was in hearing the writer read his own works, not in the quality of narration. His voice is too nasal and his reading lifeless and flat.

mtdman
10-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Needful Things was read by King, and I really enjoyed that. He's read a couple of short stories himself as well, and I liked those also. But he read Wind Through the Keyhole and that was a bad performance. He sounded old and tired on that one, and that may have led to my unfavorable opinion of that book.

My favorite narrators I've listened to are Frank Mueller and George Guidell. George reads all the Longmire books as well as several Harry Turtledove series. That guy is just great. And of course, nobody beats Mueller. I'd like to get his version of The Gunslinger, before King did his revisions.

jhanic
10-15-2015, 07:31 AM
Back when I was working, I did a lot of traveling (30,000-50,000 miles a year by car, the same by air) and I LOVED having the audio books--they filled in a lot of very boring miles--but now that I've retired, I just don't have any desire to listen anymore.

John

Merlin1958
10-15-2015, 11:11 AM

See now, if you were a Yankee fan I could understand. You'd need the room for all the World Series trophies!!! LOL

Kevbot
10-15-2015, 12:46 PM
I have to highly disagree. I think King's narration on Keyhole was inspired, and thematically comes full circle, as he was the first to record a Dark Tower novel on audio.

Kevbot
10-15-2015, 12:48 PM

You're that Kevin! Nice to hear your on this forum. I have several of your chapbooks and rather enjoy them. I recently read The Terrestrial Hell. Great collection!

Thank you so much! Expect some bigger books from me soon! My novel is now also out from CD (I'm On Fire)! Thanks again - it means a lot.

mtdman
10-15-2015, 03:47 PM
I have to highly disagree. I think King's narration on Keyhole was inspired, and thematically comes full circle, as he was the first to record a Dark Tower novel on audio.

Maybe the book just sucked then. His narration bored me to death. What he did on Needful Things was much better, imo.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Then you should read it instead because Wind does not suck

mtdman
10-16-2015, 03:51 PM

I told you, I don't read books any more. Especially sucky books like Wind Through the Keyhole.

Merlin1958
10-16-2015, 05:13 PM

I told you, I don't read books any more. Especially sucky books like Wind Through the Keyhole.

Reading is FUN-demental!!!!!

And TWTTKH was a very good book, IMHO

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-16-2015, 11:02 PM
mtdman: It didn't suck and you only listened to it. Oh, well...

Merlin: I agree! First I read it, then I listened to the audiobook, both times joyful experiences.

zelig
11-23-2015, 09:01 PM
I completely missed this thread... I'm actually looking forward to see what Scribner does with these titles...I'm pretty sure I'll be buying them. I hope the covers are better than the current run of paperbacks. Does anyone know when the first titles are expected to be released?

herbertwest
11-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Lilja shares covers planned for the reeditions !
>>> http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4639

mae
11-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Holy crap those are terribad!

Br!an
11-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Except for The Dark Tower books that's horrible.

NoAttitudeThisTime
11-30-2015, 01:52 PM
They look like cheap childrens' books...not attractive at all

zelig
11-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Well, I agree with you guys. What a let down. I was really looking forward to some great looking new covers but these are disappointing. At least that's my first impression. Don't know if my opinion will change over time. The DT ones are okay, but I just don't get why they went for this sort of look. King should to be taken seriously as a writer and these covers don't help at all.

Merlin1958
11-30-2015, 03:02 PM
thumbsdownlargethumbsdownlarge

jsmcmullen92
12-01-2015, 07:18 AM
I don't mind IT too terribly much but I think that is because you spend half the book with kids and it plays well on that aspect of it. Gives off a little of that creepy feeling of clowns for children. All the rest are just meh.

Johnny Alien
12-01-2015, 07:31 AM
The DT books are just the Viking covers. All of the books listed (except for IT and Misery) are ebooks or audiobooks I believe. IT and Misery are trade paperbacks. I would have liked to see some hardcover releases.

Kevbot
12-01-2015, 07:35 AM
My initial impression was OMG BAD. The more I look, the more some of them seem pretty good. Dolores Claiborne is great, as is Misery. 4PM is pretty good, ditto Long Walk and Tommyknockers. The rest? Ugh. Thinner is laughably bad.

Br!an
12-01-2015, 07:51 AM
The DT books are just the Viking covers. All of the books listed (except for IT and Misery) are ebooks or audiobooks I believe. IT and Misery are trade paperbacks. I would have liked to see some hardcover releases.

I didn't realize that. I didn't bother reading the text. :wtf:

So since only IT and Misery are actually books I'll revise my opinion.

I'm not excited about either one but both covers are okay.

zelig
12-01-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm hoping the paperback versions of the titles that are audiobooks are going to be better. Misery isn't too bad now that I've had a second look at it. Still not crazy about IT.

mikeC
12-02-2015, 06:54 AM
The DT books are just the Viking covers. All of the books listed (except for IT and Misery) are ebooks or audiobooks I believe.

There is nothing about audiobooks in post on LL that I could see.

"New Editions of Old King BooksPosted: November 30, 2015, 19:05:27
Simon & Schuster plan on re-releasing older King books in January 2016. IT and Misery is listed as paperbacks and the other as eBooks.
Copied from Lilja's Library: http://liljas-library.com/ "

I only bring it up bc I am hoping/waiting for them to release Dead Zone and full Skeleton Crew audiobooks for download or CD.

CyberGhostface
12-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I kind of like the cover for 'It', the others not so much.

herbertwest
12-03-2015, 01:01 AM
I am confused as of why they decided to use a type of covers for all the books, but went for another style for the Dark Tower.

webstar1000
12-03-2015, 04:17 AM
I like Misery a bit...

Desdenova
12-03-2015, 08:05 AM

I have always enjoyed the idea of having a massive, leather bound, title branded on the cover, lectern required to display it single complete Dark Tower work myself. I don't really mind the impractical nature. I would buy one, and I don't consider myself a hard-core collector at all. I think they would do well selling to us.

jsmcmullen92
12-07-2015, 11:13 AM

I have always enjoyed the idea of having a massive, leather bound, title branded on the cover, lectern required to display it single complete Dark Tower work myself. I don't really mind the impractical nature. I would buy one, and I don't consider myself a hard-core collector at all. I think they would do well selling to us.

It would be the wonderful Bible thickness of pages but I still think it would be cool.

herbertwest
01-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Looks like Scribner just released their version. This morning I recieved 19 emails or so from Scribner's newsletter regarding King.

https://ton.twitter.com/1.1/ton/data/dm/682914665844834307/682914665878388736/1xBN4pzG.jpg:large
https://ton.twitter.com/1.1/ton/data/dm/682914732924366851/682914732957917184/-DonjYFG.jpg:large

>>>> http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Stephen-King/1666839/books

Dan
01-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Same here. I guess one email isn't good enough.

Br!an
01-01-2016, 06:13 AM
I got nailed too. Yikes!

Br!an
01-01-2016, 06:15 AM
$8 for an ebook and $20 for a paperback?

Yikes again!

zelig
01-01-2016, 06:23 AM
I'm a sucker for new editions like this so I pre-ordered them all. I'm hoping when they are released the prices will be discounted at stores and Amazon.

jhanic
01-01-2016, 08:18 AM
I only read one of the emails, just to make sure what they said. I think one email would have sufficed. I deleted them all.

John

Bev Vincent
01-01-2016, 08:44 AM
I got the whole batch to three different addresses.

I suspect it was an automatic trigger, and they didn't anticipate having dozens of new titles from a single author on one day.

herbertwest
01-01-2016, 11:15 AM
I agree with Bev : I think that they simply didn't think about the automatic newsletter

Ricky
01-01-2016, 02:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone had the same thing happen to them. I also read one, then deleted the rest.

dnemec
01-01-2016, 07:21 PM
I found it amusing - just a reminder we can publish all these titles now!

Roland of Gilead 33
01-01-2016, 08:04 PM
really they own his books now? what about Signet?

Br!an
01-02-2016, 05:01 AM
really they own his books now? what about Signet?

It looks like they bought the Viking and Putnam books. So any Viking or Putnam books will now be Scribner/Gallery/Pocket.

Signet did publish The Green Mile and Cycle of the Werewolf themselves. I don't see those listed on the Scribner site so they might retain some rights to those.

Others that weren't included in this deal are the Doubleday and Philtrum press books.

RichardX
01-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Who is this Stephen King fellow that I keep getting emails about? He seems to have written a lot of books. I wish someone would notify us each time. Btw: is there a new Star Wars movie ? Why haven't they publicized that one? A lot of people would probably want to see that and buy a lot of related movie junk.

mikeC
01-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Nothing on narrator but amazon is saying that Dead Zone will be released on cd may 3rd:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Zone-Stephen-King/dp/1508218641/ref=la_B000AQ0842_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451936922&sr=1-3&refinements=p_82%3AB000AQ0842%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2682077011

It also looks like an unabridged audio version of Desperation will be released in April.

zelig
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
The first of the new trade paperbacks are out now.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/IMG_6173_zpsdbcwdi4l.jpg

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2016, 08:37 AM
I don't mind the IT. Actually I will probably go pick one up as a reading copy so I don't have to read my HC

Brian James Freeman
01-06-2016, 09:02 AM
My apologies if these were already posted, but I came across some covers for the new Scribner paperbacks that I don't remember seeing before:

http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/LiseysStoryPB.jpg
http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/TheDarkHalfPB.jpg
http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/CujoPB.jpg
http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/RoseMadderPB.jpg
http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/TheLongWalkPB.jpg
http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/ChristinePB.jpg

Brian

Br!an
01-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Those are a lot better than the covers in the original announcement.

zelig
01-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Yes those are much better. I could be wrong but aside from Lisey's, I think I these are the mass market paperback size whereas the first bunch were trade paperbacks.

Brian James Freeman
01-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Yes those are much better. I could be wrong but aside from Lisey's, I think I these are the mass market paperback size whereas the first bunch were trade paperbacks.

Yep, Lisey's looks like a new TPB edition and the others look like MMPB. I love that CHRISTINE cover!

Brian

zelig
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Brian, you don't happen to have ISBN's for these do you? I'm not finding them on either the Scribner site or Amazon.

Brian James Freeman
01-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Brian, you don't happen to have ISBN's for these do you? I'm not finding them on either the Scribner site or Amazon.

Here are the Amazon links I just dug up!

http://www.amazon.com/Liseys-Story-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1501138251/052379122979-20
http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Stephen-King/dp/1501143719/052379122979-20
http://www.amazon.com/Cujo-Stephen-King/dp/1501143697/052379122979-20
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Half-Stephen-King/dp/1501143778/052379122979-20
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-Stephen-King/dp/1501143824/052379122979-20
http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Madder-Stephen-King/dp/1501143689/052379122979-20

Brian

zelig
01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Thanks Brian! You're a superstar... and clearly your Amazon search skills are better than mine!

CyberGhostface
01-06-2016, 02:01 PM
The first of the new trade paperbacks are out now.

Yeah I think the 'It' cover looks pretty good with the red on white.

I also really like this audio cover, would be nice to see that in book form:

http://i.imgur.com/prLzshE.jpg?

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Larger photos for those who are interested:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/ITnewTPB.jpg
http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/MISERYnewTPB.jpg

Brian

Br!an
01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Simon & Schuster have apologized for the bulk emails they sent out concerning the Scribner Stephen King books.

They are giving away one free ebook to US residents until the end of the month.

https://glose.com/o/sas-stephen-king?cp_type=end&rmid=20160111_StephenKingFreeEbook&rrid=5965151

Bev Vincent
01-12-2016, 11:17 AM
I got their apology letter, too.

Three times...

herbertwest
01-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered with 3 different emails?

jhanic
01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
I got the email also (just one copy) but tried to order a book (IT) but I couldn't download it to my PC. All I could do was read it on-line while on the site.

John

Br!an
01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
I got the email also (just one copy) but tried to order a book (IT) but I couldn't download it to my PC. All I could do was read it on-line while on the site.

John

I already have them all and so didn't try to download one.

Reading on the computer's no fun if you don't have a tablet.

zelig
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Call me old fashioned but I can't read ebooks for any length of time. Have to hold the book in my hand and read the pages, not the screen.

jsmcmullen92
01-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Call me old fashioned but I can't read ebooks for any length of time. Have to hold the book in my hand and read the pages, not the screen.

Agreed I just got IT for my phone while on the train. Don't want to lug around that huge of a novel. Probably just going to put it off till I get some vacation to read it or save it for night time reading.

dnemec
01-13-2016, 08:07 AM
I downloaded the app to my phone and ordered Skeleton Crew. I have never done online reading, but figured stories would be good in case I hate reading on my phone. That being said, I have a full day of Continuing Legal Education classes in a few weeks during which I plan on trying out the online reading. Perhaps I won't hate the classes so much if I have SK to keep me company...

CyberGhostface
01-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Yeah I've read short stories but I've yet to read a full novel. I do like the convenience factor though, I've ordered a few SK novels for my Kindle app when they're cheap (got the Shining for two dollars on sale for example).

herbertwest
02-23-2016, 11:05 AM
That was the way to get me to open an email. Scribner sent a newsletter with the subject :
"The new novel from the author Stephen King called "hypnotic""

But only to find out about the book YOU that King blurbed as : “Hypnotic and scary...never read anything quite like it.” —Stephen King

jhanic
02-23-2016, 12:19 PM
That was the way to get me to open an email. Scribner sent a newsletter with the subject :

But only to find out about the book YOU that King blurbed as : “Hypnotic and scary...never read anything quite like it.” —Stephen King

I fell for the same thing. I thought it might have been about "End of Watch". Disappointed.

John

dnemec
02-23-2016, 02:49 PM

I fell for the same thing. I thought it might have been about "End of Watch". Disappointed.

John

Glad it wasn't just me. They are sneaky.

mikeC
04-13-2016, 05:42 AM
Dead Zone audio pushed to October? wtf?!

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Have you seen these new (?) covers yet?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/DifferentSeasons.jpg
http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/thinner.jpg

Brian

zelig
04-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting that. I had made a list of all the new covers that I turned up while researching it and posted them in my collection thread. It makes sense to post them here as well, so here you go.

Pocket Books

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/pocket-books-2016_zpspqziqosq.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/pocket-books-2016_zpsurcbmexj.jpg

Gallery/Scribner trade paperbacks

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/trade-paperbacks_zpsrb735lbk.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/dt-scribner_zpsawxhe0tv.jpg

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting that. I had made a list of all the new covers that I turned up while researching it and posted them in my collection thread. It makes sense to post them here as well, so here you go.

Awesome, thank you for posting that!

Tiberius
04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Simon & Schuster is listing a few more now. Even some of the novellas are published individually and The Green Mile is, too.

Shameful selfreference here, but I'm trying to get as many as I can here (together with all the other US- and non-US-covers of Kings stories)
http://cover.stephen-king.de/viewcountry/2_USA

zelig
04-28-2016, 01:00 PM
The Green Mile ones are ebooks as far as I know. Hadn't seen the Bazaar paperback though. Thanks for posting. Also the Four Past Midnight.

Tiberius
04-28-2016, 01:12 PM
according to Scribner they are, you're right :)

you're welcome. Am happy to share this little neverending project with everyone :-D

zelig
05-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Some new covers revealed in the Simon & Shuster email received today, although they are all eBooks at the moment. I'm pretty sure the trade paperbacks will use the same cover art as they match the first four in this series.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/the-dark-tower-v-9780743255103_lg_zpshx5fjswg.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/the-dark-tower-vi-9780743266376_lg_zpshpfgh0gm.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/the-dark-tower-vii-9780743266796_lg_zps0fzqsz8x.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/the-wind-through-the-keyhole-9781451658927_lg_zpspaemodk5.jpg

zelig
06-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Added Cell.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/cell_zpspco760xi.jpg

zelig
06-28-2016, 01:49 PM
A few more Pocket paperbacks announced. I like the Misery cover. DS is also nice.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/it-pocket_zps8lfxw8eu.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/misery-pocket_zpsoybhcprd.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/ds-pocket_zpswyosknyi.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/fpm-pocket_zpsgjfikve0.jpg

zelig
08-07-2016, 12:36 PM
New Dark Tower Mass Market Paperbacks

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/dt-pocket_zpsv8djhbz5.jpg

End of Watch MMP and Skeleton Crew Trade Paperback
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/end-of-watch-9781501134135_lg_zpsqjdiz6oo.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/skeleton-crew-9781501143502_hr_zpso8ttbepj.jpg

Roseannebarr
09-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Nice work Paul! Makes a great checklist for me. I cant believe Misery is already in a second printing! Thanks for your work on this. . :biggrin1:

zelig
09-20-2016, 07:37 AM
Nice work Paul! Makes a great checklist for me. I cant believe Misery is already in a second printing! Thanks for your work on this. . :biggrin1:

Sure, no problem... I figure posting these will be helpful to the paperback collectors out there.

mikeC
09-26-2016, 06:57 AM
Dead Zone audio pushed to April, I'm betting this will never come out.

zelig
12-27-2016, 02:26 PM
For the paperback collectors, these MMP's are out now. 5 and 7 are still showing with the old covers.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/8D10377C-46B5-4823-AD5B-B92B751E6E54_zpspqdkz6je.jpg

needfulthings
12-27-2016, 02:53 PM
I would assume your store just did not order them because they still had back stock of the old covers...Come Feb they will either be reissued with movie tie-in blurbs on the covers or tie-in stickers.

zelig
12-27-2016, 03:04 PM
I got these from Amazon. For 5 and 7 it still shows the old covers although I do see them with the new covers on the S&S site. Haven't looked at any stores.

needfulthings
12-27-2016, 03:20 PM
:evil:I'm just glad I now only collect true 1st editions King books & stopped collecting movie tie-in books over 20 years.
Now I just collect the MOVIES.:lol:

zelig
12-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I kinda wish I didn't collect the paperbacks either sometimes. I think after all these reissues are done I'm gonna call it a day. At least for the back catalog.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/D7E33A90-1192-471D-822D-07A4E6798B5F_zpsfbxtlbez.jpg

Roog
12-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Haven't seen this topic before. Pretty interesting. Those new Pocket Books set looks really nice!

Roseannebarr
12-29-2016, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=zelig;1038095]I kinda wish I didn't collect the paperbacks either sometimes. I think after all these reissues are done I'm gonna call it a day. At least for the back catalog.

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/D7E33A90

Say it aint so!!! you are the reason I am collecting these too! I need to learn how to bookmark this thread! I just imagine when I go to buy new copies how it must of felt for Bob or other collectors who were smart enough to buy the originals, and buy more than one! Bob posted a fun story about him and his wife trying to find NIGHT SHIFT with the eyes looking out of the holes and being centered. He was so focused even way back then!!

zelig
12-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah, at least in terms of buying reprints with new covers. I'll continue to get this new Scribner and Pocket Books series though.

herbertwest
12-31-2016, 03:19 AM
Quite a lot of controversy those past few days around S&S giving a deal to Milo Yiannopoulos
>>> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/30/507580215/simon-schuster-will-publish-book-by-breitbart-editor-despite-criticism

zelig
01-04-2017, 01:07 PM
The new covers for the remainder of the DT books are out. I ordered these from Amazon and even though they show the new covers, the old ones shipped. So still old stock of those titles.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/518-ZqnyNWL._SX273_BO1204203200__zpspp1nofpq.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/51CzuBVuaL._SX274_BO1204203200__zpsbk23m67b.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/519UxW6uM4L._SX274_BO1204203200__zpskqlrbt9c.jpg

Roog
01-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Very cool covers! Maybe it's safer to buy it in a store. Not an option for me though.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2017, 03:00 PM
I found that WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE at a Barnes & Noble yesterday. Also the new WASTELANDS and WIZARD AND GLASS. Missed out on the first 3 DT novels though. And they only had one of each of the ones I found.

Woops, I take that back. I also found THE GUNSLINGER some time ago. I forgot. Don't have DRAWING OF THE THREE.

Edit 1-8-17. Found THE DRAWING OF THE THREE today. I must have missed it the last time. Lucky for me no one bought it, they only had one.

R. Stewart
01-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Will these titles be distributed in Canada as well?

mikeC
01-12-2017, 06:08 AM
Man, having that skull behind the tower is like a big wet fart in your mouth. Terrible.

zelig
01-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Will these titles be distributed in Canada as well?

They're on the S&S Canada site so I would seem so.

mikeC
02-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Anyone have any idea why the new Dead Zone audio keeps being delayed?

mikeC
03-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Amazon says James Franco is the narrator of Dead Zone. I'm not sure that will be good. That's a bummer. Famous actors are never really good at reading audio books...There's a literary classics audio book series that pretty much proves that.

But I hope it's good I've been waiting for many years for this.

CyberGhostface
03-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Don't know if he's considered famous but Steven Weber did a great job with "It" to the point where I think he'd be a good Pennywise.

Although I tried listening to Anne Hathaway's 'Wizard of Oz' and found her voices to be a bit obnoxious and ended up not finishing. So it goes both ways I suppose.

mikeC
03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Don't know if he's considered famous but Steven Weber did a great job with "It" to the point where I think he'd be a good Pennywise.

Although I tried listening to Anne Hathaway's 'Wizard of Oz' and found her voices to be a bit obnoxious and ended up not finishing. So it goes both ways I suppose.

Yes Weber and Pinchot are both great, I guess it's those classics ones I've tried that I was not a fan of.

mikeC
04-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Meh, boring but not too terrible. Sounds like he's reading to a bunch of kids.
Let the first timers read something smaller before reading the big boys.

http://ew.com/books/2017/04/25/james-franco-stephen-king-the-dead-zone/

mae
05-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Meh, boring but not too terrible. Sounds like he's reading to a bunch of kids.
Let the first timers read something smaller before reading the big boys.

http://ew.com/books/2017/04/25/james-franco-stephen-king-the-dead-zone/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STiiKVhzOSE

mikeC
05-24-2017, 05:40 AM
He shounds like heesh talking through gritted teesh

zelig
01-03-2018, 02:04 PM
For the paperback collectors, this is out now or will be soon in trade paperback. It includes the digitally restored Palladini illustrations.

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IMG_2510.jpg

Roseannebarr
01-03-2018, 02:21 PM
For the paperback collectors, this is out now or will be soon in trade paperback. It includes the digitally restored Palladini illustrations.

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IMG_2510.jpg

Thanks for the update! I had not seen any new releases of the paperbacks in awhile!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-03-2018, 05:53 PM
I'll be on the lookout for that one myself.