PDA

View Full Version : Walking in Roland's Boots

SystemCrashOverRide
05-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure if Mid-World -->Gilead is the best place to post this, so feel free to re-direct me if this is better suited for another corner of the forum.

I'm looking for some specific information regarding the distance traveled by Roland in The Gunslinger and beyond on his journey towards the Dark Tower.

I'm not sure if either the original publication or the revised edition give any hint to how many miles the desert is that Roland crosses while chasing the man in black. Does King perhaps list how many miles or "wheels" the journey is supposed to have been? Perhaps the companion books give some sort of indication of this (Bev?)

I've recently started walking to stay fit and mentally unwind, and with the use of a pedometer (FitBit) I can track my steps and in turn my distance traveled in Kilometers/Miles. I know King himself is a large advocate of daily walking and I've found it a worthwhile pass time.

My goal was to try and pin-point as accurately as I can, the distance traveled by Roland on his journey and use it as a personal goal distance, to work towards. My fear of course is that King never indicates a number of any kind, but I thought it might be an interesting conversation to have. If there IS a number, or one that can be invented with some creative math, I would like to update this thread with my progression and invite others to take up the mantle of "walking dude" with me and see how far we can make it.

Would love to hear thoughts on this as a concept.

Iwritecode
05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Does King perhaps list how many miles or "wheels" the journey is supposed to have been?

Delah

Bev Vincent
05-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Here is some data from the books:

1 wheel is approximately 1.1 miles.

Mejis is roughly five hundred miles east of Gilead. Jericho Hill is five hundred miles north of Mejis.

The Mohaine Desert used to be around 1000 wheels west of Gilead (the Western Sea was also about 1000 miles from Gilead). However, one small segment of that span, the part they covered in Blaine the mono, is now about 8000 miles.

The "shooting gallery" where they encounter Shardik is 60 miles inland from the Western Sea.

River Crossing is 160 wheels from Lud

Calla Bryn Sturgis is 100 wheels from Thunderclap and 4000 miles from the South Seas -- the arc of the Callas is 6000 miles long.

SystemCrashOverRide
05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Here is some data from the books:

1 wheel is approximately 1.1 miles.

Mejis is roughly five hundred miles east of Gilead. Jericho Hill is five hundred miles north of Mejis.

The Mohaine Desert used to be around 1000 wheels west of Gilead (the Western Sea was also about 1000 miles from Gilead). However, one small segment of that span, the part they covered in Blaine the mono, is now about 8000 miles.

The "shooting gallery" where they encounter Shardik is 60 miles inland from the Western Sea.

River Crossing is 160 wheels from Lud

Calla Bryn Sturgis is 100 wheels from Thunderclap and 4000 miles from the South Seas -- the arc of the Callas is 6000 miles long.

Damn that was fast and accurate. Yeesh.

You may have just mentioned it in your response, so forgive my ignorance Bev, but the initial desert crossing...is that distance given in wheels? I'm referring to Roland's journey from Tull (or perhaps from Brown's hut with Zoltan) until he reaches the mountains.

Or conversely the distance from Tull to the edge of the desert?

Bev Vincent
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
No, there are very few "miles" listed in The Gunslinger. In the back of The Road to the Dark Tower I have a timeline that shows the number of days it took to do various things, so you could do some sort of haphazard calculation if you were so inclined, estimating his walking speed and how many hours per day he walked.

fernandito
05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Bev dropping some knowledge, like a BAWSE.

SystemCrashOverRide
05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
No, there are very few "miles" listed in The Gunslinger. In the back of The Road to the Dark Tower I have a timeline that shows the number of days it took to do various things, so you could do some sort of haphazard calculation if you were so inclined, estimating his walking speed and how many hours per day he walked.

I might attempt just that, is it readily available in most book stores Bev?

Bev Vincent
05-21-2015, 04:54 AM
It should be. Also at Amazon.

SystemCrashOverRide
05-21-2015, 06:11 AM
I had a thought this morning, rather than attempting the clearly herculean task that would be walking in Roland's boots, I might first start with the distance that Garraty travels in "The Long Walk". I'll have to do some research as to the distance, but it was something like 5 days of constant walking at a 4 mph rate across the states. Should be much easier to come up with an accurate number of hours and therefore miles walked.

**maybe I'll even do a Haven Fund 2016 charity walk?**

SystemCrashOverRide
05-21-2015, 06:22 AM
http://i.imgur.com/j4D5xdo.jpg

Jon
05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
To maintain a 4 MPH daily average is a difficult task. Better eat your RedRazberry Zingers!
('Nope, nothing wrong here)

SystemCrashOverRide
05-21-2015, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't attempt a set speed, only a goal length that I would try and hit. Nothing like the five day madness they experienced. Perhaps over a month or so. Right now I average about 9km a day.

Jon
05-22-2015, 12:19 AM
Unless the terrain in is particularly favorable or you are a long legged dude, 4 MPH is a bit of a dream.
Yet we know of any specs.

But I hope the best for you. Good luck. If we meet, I have a place for you.

I will watch as there is evidence for Roland passing through Daleville, In. ( I happen to be in "Parker City" a bit East ... just let me know.)

But then you could always go to the center of a cornfield and crash... no none would know! Maybe a beanfield or a hayfield.

LOl

Well PM me

stroppygoblin
05-22-2015, 12:50 AM
My company issues fitbit's as a health incentive scheme, I've had mine for just over a year. I averge about 6 miles a day (more at weekends) and mainly because I have a large dog. My total mileage so far is 2114 miles.

SystemCrashOverRide
05-22-2015, 09:56 AM
My company issues fitbit's as a health incentive scheme, I've had mine for just over a year. I averge about 6 miles a day (more at weekends) and mainly because I have a large dog. My total mileage so far is 2114 miles.

I'm quite a fan of mine, do you find you use yours for food tracking/sleep tracking/alarms, or just as a pedometer? I would be interested in adding you as a friend if you're game.

And I think Jon may have misunderstood me, I wouldn't be making a road trip, I would just be tracking my daily movement and adding my miles to a running tab, to try and reach the same distances of Garraty or Roland. So in the case of Garraty , when I hit 358 miles I'll know I've completed "The Long Walk" as a sort of personal achievement.

Jon
05-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Yes...I was being silly, as usual.

Merlin1958
05-30-2015, 07:22 PM

I'm quite a fan of mine, do you find you use yours for food tracking/sleep tracking/alarms, or just as a pedometer? I would be interested in adding you as a friend if you're game.

And I think Jon may have misunderstood me, I wouldn't be making a road trip, I would just be tracking my daily movement and adding my miles to a running tab, to try and reach the same distances of Garraty or Roland. So in the case of Garraty , when I hit 358 miles I'll know I've completed "The Long Walk" as a sort of personal achievement.

FWIW I think that is great for both of you!!! Consider me an interested, fan!!

Br!an
05-31-2015, 05:34 AM
I walk the dog at least three time daily.

I walk around five mile per day.

The longest walk is in the morning when it's cool of about three miles.

ps. @Bev, Impressive information as always. :thumbsup:

SystemCrashOverRide
06-01-2015, 06:16 AM
A few days ago I passed the 70 mile mark (I know this because my FitBit app gave me a "march of the penguins" badge). I'm going to see if I can get an exact number through my app of my accumulated miles and update this page as I work towards my "Long Walker" goal of 358 miles

stroppygoblin
06-01-2015, 06:21 AM

Sorry for the delayed response - I kinda lost track of this thread. Happy to add you as a friend, although my walking distance has tailed off the last few weeks due to illness.
For those that are interested in fitbits, it's worth knowing that if you have an iPhone 5s (maybe an iPhone 5) all you need to do is load up the (free) fitbit app - the phones hardware includes all the sensors that the fitbit device has and completely replaces the need to wear the fitbit. As long as you have your phone in your pocket, it tracks the steps you have walked. I tested its accuracy by wearing both for a week and they gave identical readings. I was always forgetting to put my fitbit on, but my phone is ALWAYS in my pocket!

SystemCrashOverRide
06-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Sorry for the delayed response - I kinda lost track of this thread. Happy to add you as a friend, although my walking distance has tailed off the last few weeks due to illness.
For those that are interested in fitbits, it's worth knowing that if you have an iPhone 5s (maybe an iPhone 5) all you need to do is load up the (free) fitbit app - the phones hardware includes all the sensors that the fitbit device has and completely replaces the need to wear the fitbit. As long as you have your phone in your pocket, it tracks the steps you have walked. I tested its accuracy by wearing both for a week and they gave identical readings. I was always forgetting to put my fitbit on, but my phone is ALWAYS in my pocket!

I assume you mean with the exception of sleep tracking and food/water tracker? I don't mind sleeping with my FitBit on and it's been interesting to track my sleeping patters, I've learned I don't sleep as well next to my girlfriend as I do on my own.

stroppygoblin
06-01-2015, 07:11 AM

I assume you mean with the exception of sleep tracking and food/water tracker? I don't mind sleeping with my FitBit on and it's been interesting to track my sleeping patters, I've learned I don't sleep as well next to my girlfriend as I do on my own.

Well food and water are values you input yourself so that can be done. The sleep tracking is the only thing it wont capture (at least via the fitbit app - other sleep trackers exist based on sound)

Xerrand
06-13-2015, 01:24 AM
In one of the books, I'm pretty sure it's The Wastelands, Roland mentions that he has been questing for the Tower for 1000 years or so given the way time slips, so areas of space that previously might have been only a few wheels in length suddenly become huge. Given that he journeyed this long at least according to himself and given the fact that I sincerely doubt he ever took a day off from walking....I'm going to say that it's probably impossible to ever walk that far haha.