PDA

View Full Version : The Wayward Pines Trilogy

fernandito
05-03-2015, 02:18 PM
First of all, thanks Heather for turning me on to this book!

Who else has read these novels? I'm on the cusp on completing Pines, and man what a crazy ass ride it has been.

This novel is able to sustain levels of tension and dread for an insane amount of time, without ever losing steam or power.

Looking forward to reading the other 2 books in the trilogy.

Ricky
05-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I blame Heather, too. :lol:

I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Last Town. I definitely agree that Crouch is able to keep the suspense/tension for long durations. There's one scene in Pines that I think did drag on a little too long, though.

Really looking forward to the TV series in a few weeks. I'm also interested to see how they handle certain parts of the novels since there's more than a few scenes/plot points that I can't see them putting into the show.

dnemec
05-03-2015, 07:18 PM
The tv series looks interesting! I didn't realize it was based on books. Looks like something else I'll have to read!

fearless-freak
05-04-2015, 03:01 AM
isn't this the series that they're turning into a tv series?

Heather19
05-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Thanks for starting the thread Feev. I read them back in the fall, and from the very beginning I was hooked and couldn't put them down. It's also turned me into a huge Blake Crouch fan, although while I enjoyed some of his other books, none are near as good as this one.

I'm really excited about the TV series. Watched the first episode already, and my only complaint is that it seems to be moving so fast. I kinda wish they would do a few seasons instead of one so that they could flesh it out a bit more. I guess we'll see as it progresses.

fernandito
05-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Are they going to do one season per book a la Game of Thrones?

Heather19
05-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Not sure, it might just be a 10 episode miniseries covering all 3 books. Couldn't find a definite answer, but based on the first episode and all the information they covered I wouldn't be surprised. I definitely don't prefer that though, because a lot will have to be glossed over and there won't be as much mystery or tension.

fernandito
05-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Or they could be planning to add supplemental information not found in the book?

I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of acquiring the rights for just one season. That's not the way American TV operates.

Heather19
05-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Just found this
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_28005522/wayward-pines-continues-tvs-love-limited-series
Looks like it is just a 10 ep miniseries

Girlystevedave
05-05-2015, 04:34 AM
You guys have made me really want to check out these books.

Heather19
05-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Do it! You won't regret it :)

Girlystevedave
05-05-2015, 05:45 AM
I'm gonna do it! :)

Ricky
05-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Pretty sure Heather gets a commission from all the sales. :lol:

fernandito
05-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Just found this
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_28005522/wayward-pines-continues-tvs-love-limited-series
Looks like it is just a 10 ep miniseries
Interesting...

I'm starting to really, really like the idea of mini series, for all the reasons mentioned in that article; primarily, letting the story dictate the number of episodes needed, and not the other way around. True Detective and Fargo are perfect examples.

Heather19
05-05-2015, 08:19 AM
I agree, that's why I was so upset with Under the Dome. It was supposed to be a standalone miniseries originally, I thought but then it morphed into something else completely. I watched the first season and gave up because it was pretty much it's own entity, and not a good one. Plus if they are confined to only so many eps it should make it a lot more focused, and have a set ending, which I think are both very good things to have.

Heather19
05-05-2015, 08:20 AM

I wish! :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-05-2015, 08:31 AM

I wish! :lol:

I'm thinking you're onto something here, Ricky. :orely:

Girlystevedave
05-23-2015, 09:45 AM
I wish I had remembered that this thread existed during the week-long span that I read the series. :lol:
I have to say that these books are already on my list of favorites. They kept such a fast and intriguing pace the whole time. Blake Crouch is a damn good writer. :)

Looking forward to reading the other 2 books in the trilogy.

Did you get round to reading them yet?

There's one scene in Pines that I think did drag on a little too long, though.

Which scene, Ricky?

Ricky
05-23-2015, 10:25 AM
It was the one towards the end where Ethan's running around the town after they call the fete for him. He's running around the streets, into an apartment building, back through town, through the woods, meets the creepy children, crosses a river, gets to the fence...

It seemed like it was a good portion of the book, and could've benefited from some pauses. I really like that Crouch can keep suspense going for long periods of time, but this portion just went on and on without really any breathing room.

Girlystevedave
05-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess that scene did go on for a while.

And it really creeped me out how the people became such savages during the fetes - especially the damn kids. Little creeps. :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Oh! One of my favorite parts of the books was at the end when Ethan let the abby go that had been locked up the entire time.

Ricky
05-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I had a feeling that Margaret would play a part in the finale (though I thought it would be a bigger one).

Speaking of favorite parts, one of mine was when Ethan knocked out Pam, then we realize that he locked her outside the fence. I loved that. I thought it would've been a great end to her character, too, so the fact that Hassler just shot her in the jail was kind of disappointing. Being locked outside the fence was much cooler. :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I loved when he locked her outside the fence. Bitch got what was coming to her. :lol:

Another favorite scene was when the town was gathered for the fete of Kate and Harold, and Ethan had the abby in the car, ready to spring into action (stupid question, but that wasn't Margaret, right? ).
But, again, I just loved that scene because the whole time I was wondering if he was really going to go through with letting Kate and Harold be killed because we weren't really allowed a glimpse of any of his thoughts at the time, only what he was telling Pilcher. So when I realized "Oh shit, he's got this!", that was an awesome scene.

Ricky
05-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Regarding your question, I think it was just a random one he captured (or was in containment).

Another favorite scene was when the town was gathered for the fete of Kate and Harold, and Ethan had the abby in the car, ready to spring into action. But, again, I just loved that scene because the whole time I was wondering if he was really going to go through with letting Kate and Harold be killed because we weren't really allowed a glimpse of any of his thoughts at the time

I loved that too, and felt the same way. For a minute there, I really thought he was going to let them die. I was like, what are you doing?! :lol:

Heather19
05-26-2015, 05:26 AM
What about when Pilcher then leaves the town unprotected and you know the abbys are going to storm the town. I was like "No!" :lol: I agree about Ethan tossing Pam outside the fence, that was great, and I too wish she was killed out there. Would have been a great conclusion to her character since she was so evil.

Girlystevedave
05-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Okay, I finally watched the first 2 episodes of the show. I liked it alright, but why the hell is the kid so much older? :lol:

fernandito
05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Fernando is sad that he cannot participate in discussion.

:(

Girlystevedave
05-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Why doesn't Fernando finish the series so that he can? :lol:

Heather19
05-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Okay, I finally watched the first 2 episodes of the show. I liked it alright, but why the hell is the kid so much older? :lol:

I was wondering that as well. I hope it gets better, wasn't thrilled with last weeks episode too much.

And Feev, we're waiting for you...

Ricky
05-28-2015, 07:03 AM
I watched the first two episodes last night. I like it for the most part, but it seems...empty. I don't know. The books (especially the first) had so much suspense and action and questions, and I'm just not getting that from the show right now.

I can't decide if I would continue with it or like it as much if I hadn't read the books.

Heather19
05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree, the whole mystery wasn't there for me either. I feel like they're kinda forcing everything out in the open. Yes, I guess it's still a mystery as to why they're there, but just the little things like the crickets or the guy in the bar calling it in, leaves out the whole mystery of is there really something up in this town or not.

Ricky
05-28-2015, 06:12 PM
I actually watched live tonight. It seems like they're staying pretty close to the books, but changing things around to cut time (i.e. not having Ethan's run through the town, escaping the abbies in the valley, and finding his way into the mountain). I keep trying to figure out at which point the show will be finished with the "Pines" section and move onto "Wayward", and I keep going back and forth. On one hand, Beverly and Ethan running was pretty close to the end of the book (I thought), yet in the show Ethan hasn't learned the truth yet. So I don't know. Maybe they're going to go on an entirely new course?

I'm also surprised because I would've bet money that the abbies would be one of the things they cut from the show to make it more mainstream, but after tonight it looks like they're there! :)

Br!an
05-28-2015, 06:46 PM
I haven't read the books but I did read a synopsis and it look interesting. I think I'll get the books.

Will it ruin the books if I watch the TV show?

I normally prefer the book to the TV show or movie.

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 04:42 AM
Read the books, Brian. RIGHT NOW.
Just forget there's a show until you finish the books. :lol:

Br!an
05-29-2015, 04:57 AM
I'll go get them tomorrow. It's my Books-A-Million day.

Heather19
05-29-2015, 05:11 AM
Just forget there's a show until you finish the books. :lol:

Yes, I agree. The show is a bit different, and it'd be better to read the books first.

Ricky, I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't a fan of last nights ep, but I always hate when they change it from the story. I really loved the reveal of Theresa in the books, and also her time with Hassler. How are they now going to add that in with her being a new citizen as well. That seemed a bit like an unnecessary change. I think they're keeping him in the dark longer so that there's still some suspense in the show. Also excited to see a glimpse of an abby.

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 05:16 AM

I need to get me a Books-A-Million day. :orely:

Ricky
05-29-2015, 07:09 AM

This!

I don't think it would necessarily ruin the books if you watched the TV series first, but the books have such well-crafted suspense that (so far) isn't as present in the TV series, that I think you might enjoy reading the books beforehand.

I really loved the reveal of Theresa in the books, and also her time with Hassler. How are they now going to add that in with her being a new citizen as well. That seemed a bit like an unnecessary change. I think they're keeping him in the dark longer so that there's still some suspense in the show. Also excited to see a glimpse of an abby.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new Theresa storyline either. In this episode I thought they were going to reveal that, like the books, Theresa and Ben searching for Ethan was in the past, and they've actually been in WP for awhile now. I guess that's not the case now? Also, I didn't really like how Theresa was all, "think of it as a vacation!" when Ben wanted to leave the house. I was like, you just found your husband living in a house in Idaho, and you're okay with that? :lol:

(Also, should we have a separate thread for the TV series?)

Heather19
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
We probably should, that way we don't have to write everything in spoilers :lol:

fernandito
05-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Just make sure you mark Spoilers in the thread title.

Br!an
05-29-2015, 12:48 PM

I need to get me a Books-A-Million day. :orely:

I recommend it.

They have a better selection than B&N including more signed books.

They also have a better discount section. I love the discount section. :P

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Sadly, the Booksamillion near me is pretty lame. :lol:
But, hey, being in the presence of books (even a poor selection) is better than none at all, right?

Br!an
05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
The BAM near me is in the newest, trendiest area. They have a great selection.

Sadly I had to go the other direction today and ended up at the B&N. They only had Pines. At least I can get started!

Girlystevedave
05-30-2015, 09:25 AM
The BAM near me is in the newest, trendiest area. They have a great selection.

Sadly I had to go the other direction today and ended up at the B&N. They only had Pines. At least I can get started!

The last time I was in BAM, they had a "Horror" section, and had The Dark Tower on it. I was just like "Really, you morons?" :lol: And it seems any time I go there to find a specific book, they never have it. But, sadly, we don't even have a B&N anymore, so I'm stuck with BAM. I've gotten used to just ordering most of my books online, to be honest.

And I'm so glad you got Pines, at least. Be sure to post your thoughts in here. :clap:

Br!an
05-30-2015, 09:35 AM
I just ordered the other two.

I am almost done with The Passage and have to finish that before Pines, but that will happen today or tomorrow.

Merlin1958
05-30-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm heading over to ebay now. This better be good or I am going to blame so of the people here, and this I do not forgive!!! LOL

Edit: Got one on the way!!! Looking forward to this and "Finders Keepers"!!!

Lauterer
05-31-2015, 12:18 AM
I do not know if you guys are interested in, but VJ-Books still have signed copies (https://www.vjbooks.com/Crouch-Blake-Pines-Signed-First-Edition-p/cropine26.htm) for sale of the first SC/first print. They sell the books for just 19,99$. And they have a coupon at the moment to save 30% for the next 72 hours (no idea when started). The coupon worked for me.
I do not know if its a good deal, but i found nothing cheaper online... Probably someone likes it! I did :-)))

EDIT: By the way... 4 left according to shopping cart super-Hack!

Br!an
05-31-2015, 03:50 AM
Thanks Torben! That is a good deal.

They also have other books of his. I bought 4 signed PB for $55 with free shipping.

Heather19
05-31-2015, 06:32 AM
That's very cool, and a good price too! I'm tempted to pick some up.

I hope you guys all enjoy the books. He's easily my new favorite author. What other books did you pick up Brian?

Br!an
05-31-2015, 07:37 AM
I got Pines, Wayward, The Last Town and Run.

I went on Goodreads and read summaries. Run seemed interesting.

Heather19
05-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Good pick. That's easily my next favorite book of his. Did you happen to start Pines yet?

Br!an
05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Not yet. I will this evening. It looks like a fairly easy read so I should move right along with it.

The easiest way for me to rate the book is to see what time I get to sleep tonight. :cyclops:

fernandito
06-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Not yet. I will this evening. It looks like a fairly easy read so I should move right along with it.

The easiest way for me to rate the book is to see what time I get to sleep tonight. :cyclops:
Opening bids on how many pages Brian read last night?

I say 100.

Do I hear 150?

Br!an
06-01-2015, 11:18 AM
I read through Chapter 5 which is just less than half. I'll finish it tonight.

Heather19
06-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I read through Chapter 5 which is just less than half. I'll finish it tonight.

:thumbsup:

Lauterer
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM
First rating for the first half?

Br!an
06-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I would have kept reading, but I was exhausted. I read more this morning and at lunch. I'm up to pg 230 of 309.

I love it. I have read about a bunch of strange things but still don't know what's going on.

There is really no good place to stop reading. When I have put it down I'm thinking about it. It's rather disturbing.

fernandito
06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/be/bea685ace6558735f6e2cb2478286fdc96ad4981375834ad29 021318aab9462b.jpg

Heather19
06-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Yes, we have another convert! :lol:

Speaking of which Feev, do you plan to start the next books soon?

fernandito
06-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Yeap, I have book 2 en route to my house now :)

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey anyone wanna sell there beat off copies to me? The only book store in my town is selling soft covers for $29.99 a piece. So with my tax that is a $100 bucks!!!!!! I am so interested in it after reading all your thoughts on it!

fernandito
06-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Have you tried Amazon? Free shipping.

Heather19
06-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Do you have a kindle? I have the first one on there that you can borrow if you want.

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
No I ONLY read books. lol I tried it once and it just was hard on my eyes. I might try a thrift shop. You guys got me pumped though!

Br!an
06-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I'll send you the first book.

I have the signed paperback coming from vjbooks so the one I bought to read is yours if you want it.

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 10:46 AM

I have the signed paperback coming from vjbooks so the one I bought to read is yours if you want it.

Thanks man!!!

Ricky
06-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I got mine from Barnes & Noble online. I used a coupon, plus I get free member shipping. It was like $12 per book or something like that.

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Geez they have them all signed.. for like $19.99 each? That sound right?

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 10:50 AM
I got mine from Barnes & Noble online. I used a coupon, plus I get free member shipping. It was like $12 per book or something like that.

WOW! Canada is suck a rip off sometimes guys.. love my country but. Today for instance... I went to get Finders Keepers and thank goodness they had a sale cause with tax it is almost $50 bucks normally for a new King book!

Br!an
06-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Yes. $19.99 for the signed 1st paperback edition.

webstar1000
06-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Yes. $19.99 for the signed 1st paperback edition.
Very cool!! Signed and LESS than I can buy them here for. Did they not come as a hardcover?

Joe315
06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
No hardcovers. If you order from vj books, you should know that international shipments are done via priority envelope. I'd be happy to order a set and forward them to you in a well packed box. Obviously this would up the cost with shipping but reduces chances of damage. Let me know.

EDIT: I double checked and the envelope is for single book orders. For multiple orders it appears they use a box.

From their site:
"International Shipping

We ship our single-book, international packages in Global Priority envelopes (USPS), with delivery taking 10 days (not counting Saturday or Sunday). Medium priority shipments can handle up to 4 books (usually) and shipments with more than 4 books will be sent Airmail "M" bag (over 11 lbs.).

In all cases we "ping" the USPS.gov website for the best shipping method and that is presented to you (with the small handling charge) before you check out."

WeDealInLead
06-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Yep, I bought a signed The Twelve by Cronin and VJ (a seller that is apparently all about fine collectibles) sent the book in an envelope. I received no refund, no return email and no apology. As you can imagine, shipping for a book that big was not cheap. The book arrived with spine lean and the DJ was frayed.

I'm playing the waiting game with this one and hoping for a hardcover omnibus.

Br!an
06-04-2015, 03:48 AM
I have an extra signed The Twelve if you want it.

I finished The Pines the other day.

I really enjoyed it. It was easy to read but not simplistic. It kept me engaged throughout. I see what everyone means about the tension.

I wasn't expecting the reason behind Wayward Pines. I had a bunch of guesses about the time anomalies but was wrong with every one.

There's a new sheriff in town! I wonder how that's going to work out? Ethan isn't the type to be told what to do. He's too egalitarian.

Heather19
06-04-2015, 04:29 AM
:thumbsup:

RC65
06-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Good pick. That's easily my next favorite book of his. Did you happen to start Pines yet?

RUN is my second-favorite as well, behind the Pines trilogy. I've tried a few others of his, and none of have engaged me as well as these four.

I'm playing the waiting game with this one and hoping for a hardcover omnibus.

I keep hoping some smart publisher will see the wisdom of a signed/limited HC omnibus of the Pines books...so far, not a whisper. But maybe someday. Maybe Cemetery Dance -- my first exposure to Crouch was a short-story he had in an issue of their magazine a while back...it led me to the first Pines book, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Joe315
06-10-2016, 09:41 PM
I am on book 2 and loving it. Glad I picked it up and thanks all for the recommendation.

Goldsboro Books is doing a "limited" of his new one: https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/dark-matter/

biomieg
06-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Well into book three now (I started book one earlier this week). What a ride!

Heather19
06-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Wow that's fast! They are addictive though aren't they :D I really wish he would write some more.

I might have asked this already but with more people reading the books, has anyone read any of the novellas by other authors that go along with it?

RC65
06-19-2016, 07:42 AM
I am on book 2 and loving it. Glad I picked it up and thanks all for the recommendation.

Goldsboro Books is doing a "limited" of his new one: https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/dark-matter/

Yep, picked that one up in pre-order a couple days ago...looking forward to it. For those who may be on the fence about it, the nice thing about Goldsboro is that they don't charge you cc until the book is ready to ship.

Wow that's fast! They are addictive though aren't they :D I really wish he would write some more.

I might have asked this already but with more people reading the books, has anyone read any of the novellas by other authors that go along with it?

I read the F. Paul Wilson one, and it was pretty good (no surprise), but haven't bothered with the others.

Girlystevedave
06-21-2016, 01:27 PM

1. I agree. I wish he would write more. Of course, I still need to check out more of his stories. I really enjoyed his writing. I probably asked this before, but which of his other stories would you suggest the most?

2. I still never checked out the books by other authors. The thought of fan fiction always kinda turned me off. :orely:

Heather19
06-21-2016, 02:09 PM
I read the F. Paul Wilson one, and it was pretty good (no surprise), but haven't bothered with the others.

I'll have to check this one out.

1. I agree. I wish he would write more. Of course, I still need to check out more of his stories. I really enjoyed his writing. I probably asked this before, but which of his other stories would you suggest the most?

2. I still never checked out the books by other authors. The thought of fan fiction always kinda turned me off. :orely:

I would highly recommend both Run and Fully Loaded (his collection of short stories). Just don't listen to what Ricky says :D Did you read Draculas or was that your mom?

I read the Genesis series. Crazy thing is I don't remember much of anything about it, just that I wasn't too thrilled with it :lol: I saw that Robert Swartwood wrote one, so I might check that one out.

Girlystevedave
06-21-2016, 02:17 PM
I would highly recommend both Run and Fully Loaded (his collection of short stories).

I've never been a huge fan of short stories, but maybe I should check his out and give it a shot.

Just don't listen to what Ricky says :D

Look, now you've got me wondering what Ricky said! :lol:

Did you read Draculas or was that your mom?

My mom read it and didn't seem to be very impressed with it. But, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that the one that involved multiple authors writing the book?

Ricky
06-21-2016, 06:02 PM
I would highly recommend both Run and Fully Loaded (his collection of short stories). Just don't listen to what Ricky says :D

Don't listen to what Heather said about not listening to me!

Ricky said that Run is not good. You gotta believe me, Amanda! :lol:

Girlystevedave
06-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Ricky said that Run is not good. You gotta believe me, Amanda! :lol:

You sound like Jimmy on that episode of Seinfeld! :rofl:

Ricky
06-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Yes, Ricky does. :lol:

Heather19
06-22-2016, 07:09 AM
:lol:

Yep, Draculas is the one that's written by 4 or 5 authors. I enjoyed it but not to the extent of some of his other books. And I thought it flowed well considering so many people wrote it. Also I'm not a huge fan of short stories either but he has some good ones. Really looking forward to reading his new book.

Girlystevedave
06-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Yes, Ricky does. :lol:

Ricky's getting upset! :lol:

Really looking forward to reading his new book.

Dark Matter?! I just looked it up online and it sounds awesome!

Anubis2347
11-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know if there is any plans for a S/L set of the Wayward Pines Trilogy?

RC65
11-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know if there is any plans for a S/L set of the Wayward Pines Trilogy?

None that I've heard rumors about, but I keep hoping some enterprising publisher will do a set or, perhaps better, an oversized omnibus.

mikeC
03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
I've been struggling to actually find and like new authors and books. I suffered through the last David Wong book, I hated Head full of Ghosts, I stopped reading S. bc I just thought it was dumb, I hated and stopped the Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour book store, which actually made me angry about how bad it was.
Then I get the first Pines book and it's awesome! I am glad that there are new authors still writing books I will enjoy.

I look forward to the next 2 for sure.

Heather19
03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
:thumbsup: Blake easily became one of my my favorite authors. And Pines is such a fun exciting read.