PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Haven Auction #56-Robert Browning-Men & Women-1856- The Dark Tower Inspiration

Randall Flagg
04-26-2015, 11:06 AM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif
AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201338394868?)

TheDarkTower.org (http://www.thedarktower.org/)is proud to be the site to auction this new, unique and fine Collectible item.
For your consideration is a first American edition/Author's Edition of Men & Women by Robert Browning, published in Boston in 1856.

The book features the poem “CHILDE ROLAND TO THE DARK TOWER CAME”, which was Inspiration for Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” book series.

Thanks to DT.ORG member George at C-Springs for this kind donation.

Theli
04-26-2015, 12:55 PM
I gotta say, this really freaking cool!

Randall Flagg
04-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Of course I screwed up the ebay listing and left the "n" out of Browning. I suppose I could pull the auction, but there are several bids.
Damn.

George at C-Springs
04-26-2015, 04:36 PM
If any of our overseas members are interested and win the bid, I'll be happy to ship at cost. It's a small book and doesn't weigh much, so won't run you anything near what it did for IT :thumbsup:

Also, I looked and found the history on one of the two previous book owners, Mr. Julius Wangenheim. He was a San Diego businessman who was involved in, among other things, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, the University of California, the San Diego Museum of Art, the building of the San Diego Library, and organizing the Pan Pacific Exposition of 1915. Thought you might find his biography interesting, so here it is:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Wangenheim_1.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Wangenheim_2.jpg

Any other questions on the book, please just let me know. It's a pretty cool little piece.

Jimimck
04-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Wow very cool. Always interesting to see something a bit different from the usual, but still DT related.

Priest
04-27-2015, 02:28 AM
Just to let you know - if you want this, you have to pass me ;D

Totally will go for that one!

George at C-Springs
04-29-2015, 10:25 AM
I see that bidding is up to $101 with 4 days left to go ... that's fantastic!

Merlin1958
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
IMHO This auction could use a bit more action. That's a very old tome and in very good condition as well.

George at C-Springs
04-30-2015, 07:23 AM
It really is in good condition for a 150 year old book. What I really like about it is that you can tell it was cut and pressed on a machine, it has that feel to it ... not stock paper from a modern printer. I looked around for awhile to find one with a presentable cover and nice interior, and this was absolutely the best out there without spending hundreds of dollars. The only other two that were comparable had tears and really badly banged up covers, this one's very nice in comparison; get past the spotting on the end pages and you've got a really clean book. I think the end plates really add to it as well, especially might appeal to a collector from one of the institutions mentioned; I imagine the name Wangenheim is known to anyone from the San Diego area.

George at C-Springs
05-01-2015, 08:42 PM
A day and a half left, bidding is at $112 ... let me sweeten the pot.

I mistakenly ordered two copies of a recently published Cemetery Dance Signed/Limited edition (non-King). It's not a chap book or something tiny.

The Robert Browning book is 150 years old; if bidding reaches $150 and sells to someone here on the site, let me know and I'll include the S/L in your shipment. I'll even pay the difference in postage.

George

Merlin1958
05-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I really wish I could afford this right now. Heck, it's a really old and well condition book with a history. I will drop $10 into the widget as a thank you for donating it, George. You're a good man!!!

Theli
05-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Good man George! Good luck to the folk bidding!

George at C-Springs
05-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Final bump, little less than 4 hours to go!

Right now someone has themselves a first american printing of Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came from 1856 AND, because bidding has exceeded $150, in celebration of the story's 150th anniversary if the winning bidder is a TDT.org member I'm throwing in a F/F recently published Cemetery Dance Signed Limited book (non-King).

Four more hours, good luck!

George

George at C-Springs
05-03-2015, 10:03 AM
With one hour to go, leading bid is currently at $177.50!

Jay127
05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
I was the high bidder. I'm a big King fan, and almost as big a fan of old books. So this was right up my alley. Psyched!

Ben Staad
05-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Congrats!

George at C-Springs
05-03-2015, 04:00 PM
I was the high bidder. I'm a big King fan, and almost as big a fan of old books. So this was right up my alley. Psyched!

Congrats Jay, you're going to love it! (them!). I'll have it off to you this week as soon as I get the thumbs-up from RF.

George

Jay127
05-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Got this today - a really beautiful book in better condition than I thought. I'm thrilled to own it. And George also send me a s/l of Submerged as a kicker!

Theli
05-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Got this today - a really beautiful book in better condition than I thought. I'm thrilled to own it. And George also send me a s/l of Submerged as a kicker!

Nice bonus! Congrats!