PDA

View Full Version : What did Allie see? (19)

fernandito
04-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Right before Roland guns Allie down during the massacre at Tull, she begs him to kill her because of what she saw after she asked MiB about 19.

What do you think she saw?

Johnny Alien
04-21-2015, 08:48 AM
I would venture to say it's not unlike the same vast information and timelessness that happened to that person in the Jaunt.

That aside, while i know the 2003 revised is now canon I still live by the original text in which Allie never said 19 and was gunned down by the Gunslinger in error.

fernandito
04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
I've read a couple of different theories throughout the years.

One was that Allie

perceived the eternal loop they were all stuck on, and the thought of living her life out all over again was too much for her to bear.

And the other was that she saw the CK's court and lost her sanity.

I really like the first one.

Ross
04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Was it in error? I read it last night and got the impression that he saw something in her eyes that told him the man in black had gotten to her and there was no other option other than to kill her. Sheb was running right behind her, partially blocking Roland's shot at him. Being such a good shot I assume he could have taken Sheb out and not killed Allie but because she was "possessed" or something like that, he had no choice.

pathoftheturtle
04-22-2015, 04:11 AM
"Do you believe in an afterlife?" the gunslinger asked him as Brown dropped three ears of hot corn onto his plate.
Brown nodded. "I think this is it."Unsettling enough already, isn't that?

pathoftheturtle
04-22-2015, 12:13 PM
perceived the eternal loop they were all stuck on, and the thought of living her life out all over again was too much for her to bear.

Technically, she dies before Roland's re-entry moment so she may have avoided that in fact.

Raises some pointed Book 7 and series questions, though.
Could she have lived? Would that have changed the story? Could that be the reason why he doesn't go back quite that far?

Bonus Paradox: If dying does mean that she never got stuck, and there never was a chance that she would live, was she told that something would happen which never happened? Would they even know in that case what that would have been?

Girlystevedave
08-29-2017, 11:39 AM
This thread makes me want to go back and read the revised version a second time. :orely: