PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's Non-Supernatural Fictional Works

Theli
04-17-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm looking to make a list of King's non-supernatural works, both long and short fiction.

Long:
Rage
Misery (I presume, have yet to read)
Colorado Kid

Short:
Umney's Last Case
Dolan's Cadillac (debatable)

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Well, lets see....

Carrie (Technically a Sci-Fi Horror)
Firestarter (same)
UTD
The Tommyknockers
11/22/63 (Your call, but could definitely be considered Sci-Fi)
Cujo (Another debatable one)
The Dead Zone
Dreamcatcher
Different Seasons (?)
Joyland
Mr. Mercede's
Revival (?)
TGWLTG (?)
Gerald's Game

Short Stories

A Good Marriage
Big Driver
Quitter's, Inc.
Apt Pupil
A Very Tight Place
The Langoliers (?)
The Long Walk
The Running Man
The Shawshank Redemption

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Some are a judgement call as to genre. So, JMHO. It's your list so you must make the call ultimately. Hope I have been of some assistance.

Theli
04-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Definitely a few there I should add. Thanks Merlin!

I should be more specific I guess, I'm more looking for all his non-speculative fiction, so not as much the sci-fi stuff either.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption probably fits too. Still have much to read, so some of these judgement calls are tough for me.

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Definitely a few there I should add. Thanks Merlin!

I should be more specific I guess, I'm more looking for all his non-speculative fiction, so not as much the sci-fi stuff either.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption probably fits too. Still have much to read, so some of these judgement calls are tough for me.

You're very welcome. It's hard to know what you mean when you say, "Non-speculative" and "fiction" in the same sentence. To me, by definition, all "fiction" is speculative to some degree. Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to help is all. If, "Shawshank" fits your "category" I think you will find a lot more source material in the SS than, the novels.

BTW, shame on you for not having read, "Shawshank"!!! LOL Get reading, bucko!! LOL

Anyway, hope I at least gave you some food for thought.

Theli
04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
It's embarrassing how much Stephen King I still need to read compare to the rest of you all here. In fact I only finished The Gunslinger for the first time a mere three days ago! I only just started up Nightmares & Dreamscapes for the first time too (Dolan's Cadillac inspired the thread).

My reading habits are different than most though, I think. I like to try many different authors, even if only for a book or two. It's rare I read more than one book by one author at a time. That's why if you checked my collection on CD's website there is only one or two books each for most authors. My tastes are very seasonal too, dunno why, I tend to read more horror during the winter months and more crime fiction during the summer, with a smattering of other stuff in between. With that said though, Stephen King is probably the author I have read the most. I've read more Michael Moorcock novels, but his are generally only a little over a 100 pages each.

As for speculative fiction... you have a good point. All fiction by definition is speculative. Last attempt at clarification lol:
I'm looking for fictional SK works that based on what we know of Earth and it's inhabitants at the moment could happen, and not while taking a major leap of the imagination. So in other words, no sci-fi elements, fantastic or supernatural elements. I'm thinking more like crime fiction, or it could be horror too (for example Ketchum writes some very real horror fiction) or slice of life.

I also agree that there will be much more of his short works in this sort of style. Another one for the list would be his newest short work A Death. I'll compile the titles after a get a few more on the list.

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 04:31 PM
It's embarrassing how much Stephen King I still need to read compare to the rest of you all here. In fact I only finished The Gunslinger for the first time a mere three days ago! I only just started up Nightmares & Dreamscapes for the first time too (Dolan's Cadillac inspired the thread).

My reading habits are different than most though, I think. I like to try many different authors, even if only for a book or two. It's rare I read more than one book by one author at a time. That's why if you checked my collection on CD's website there is only one or two books each for most authors. My tastes are very seasonal too, dunno why, I tend to read more horror during the winter months and more crime fiction during the summer, with a smattering of other stuff in between. With that said though, Stephen King is probably the author I have read the most. I've read more Michael Moorcock novels, but his are generally only a little over a 100 pages each.

As for speculative fiction... you have a good point. All fiction by definition is speculative. Last attempt at clarification lol:
I'm looking for fictional SK works that based on what we know of Earth and it's inhabitants at the moment could happen, and not while taking a major leap of the imagination. So in other words, no sci-fi elements, fantastic or supernatural elements. I'm thinking more like crime fiction, or it could be horror too (for example Ketchum writes some very real horror fiction) or slice of life.

I also agree that there will be much more of his short works in this sort of style. Another one for the list would be his newest short work A Death. I'll compile the titles after a get a few more on the list.

Fair enough. As I said, "It's your list". Enjoy!!!

Jon
04-17-2015, 07:35 PM
I happen to know of a prominent member and former publisher of SK books who had never read ANY DT books.

No big deal. Just be good folks.

Theli
04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Awesome avatar! I'm a huge Dio fan, was lucky enough to catch him with Heaven & Hell in 2007.

Girlystevedave
04-18-2015, 10:09 AM
It's embarrassing how much Stephen King I still need to read compare to the rest of you all here.

Embarrassing?! You should consider yourself lucky that you have so much left to explore. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm gonna be racking my brain to think of all the non-supernatural King books the rest of the day. :lol:
Seems Merlin listed a lot of them.

mae
04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I really like King's recent literary short stories with no supernatural elements like Premium Harmony or Batman and Robin. He's really strong when writing about everyday things, that's why when weird things start happening it's so much more believable because it's been preceded by this great realistic prose. So there is a lot of stories like that. I wish he'd write more novels in this vein and I guess Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers is that.

pathoftheturtle
04-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Colorado Kid, Afterward "I don't want to belabor the point, but before I leave you, I ask you to consider the fact that we live in a web of mystery, and have simply gotten so used to the fact that we have crossed out the word and replaced it with one we like better, that one being reality."

Br!an
04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
I think all of these qualify. I'll have to think about the short stories more.

Rage
The Long Walk
Roadwork
Misery
Gerald’s Game
Dolores Claiborne
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
The Colorado Kid
Blaze
Joyland
Mr. Mercedes
Blockade Billy
The Body

Girlystevedave
04-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Strawberry Spring from Night Shift is one. :)

Theli
04-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.