PDA

View Full Version : Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

sarah
01-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Alright, I just finished reread WotC last night. I really like Wolves but it just isn't one of my favorites. I think it is mainly because The Ka-Tet isn't a big focus. This book is for Callahan and the Wolves of the Calla and the Wolves in New York. Everyone had a story to tell. They weren't boring but for me it just dragged. I wanted to read more Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy. I loved reading about them going Todash and seeing the rose.

I'm not saying that this books sucks. I would just rather read The Wastelands or The Drawing of the Three over the WotC.

I'm off to reread Song of Susannah.

Míchéal
01-24-2008, 08:04 AM
i agree. there was just something about the callas that wasnt good for me....

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 08:06 AM
This is definitely not my favorite book of the series either. It seemed to drag for me as well.

Matt
01-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I had a rough time with it as well. I love the respite (if you could call fighting Wolves that) but I really just wanted to move on.

I used to feel that way about W&G and don't anymore so maybe my opinion of this one will evolve as well

Míchéal
01-24-2008, 08:08 AM
it was built up all the up to confronting the wolves and then it was over...

Letti
01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I loved this book so much. Yeah, the ka-tet wasn't in focus but the way they worked together... the way they couldn't say no and they ahd to help strangers... they way they talked to each other and respected Roland.
And Roland's dance...
I do love this book.

sarah
01-24-2008, 08:28 AM
it was built up all the up to confronting the wolves and then it was over...

Roland did say a few time in WotC that the build up and planning took the longest and the fight would last five minutes. And it did. Get in, get out, geterdone. :lol:

Letti, for me it was the telling of tales that was super slow. I realize that King had to give back story to Callahan and the Calla but sheesh I just wanted the ka-tet to finish up and move on.

Letti
01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I love when books are super extrem slow. I am a perv. :)

jayson
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I had no issue with the pace of Wolves. After the long wait for it to be published, the longer the better for me. Callahan's story may have been slower paced than a lot of the writing to date, but I found the story compelling enough that I didn't care. I also agree with what Letti said about seeing the Tet exemplify what being "The Line of Eld" meant with the way they handled their duty in the Calla. I enjoyed watching the plan come together and how Roland deftly managed to swing the Calla to his side. I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.

Mike Beck
01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
it's my least favorite of the series.

obscurejude
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind of wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.

Wuducynn
01-24-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.

Right-on Obscure..this is why its my second favorite of the series. I also love Callahan's story and how it is so closely connected with Roland's ka-tet.

jayson
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd have been happy to read a longer battle sequence as well, but given the truth about the Wolves, how much longer could it really have been. Besides, we got to go via Roland's dream to Jericho Hill and see a bit of that battle as well, so there you go action fans, two battles, one book, plus Eddie gets to throttle Biondi and Andolini, and Callahan whacks vampires. Works for me.

Jude, I'm always glad to see someone else appreciate the sheer beauty of Oy's scene at the pavillion. Hands down my single favorite moment of the series, and one I easily admit I cry upon reading every time.

Letti
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I love that Jake can be a child again... but still he can't. It tells so much about the gunslinger life.

jayson
01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
definitely Letti. as many know, jake is my fav of all of king's many characters. i loved that so much of wolves deals with jake, and shows him both as boy and as a gunslinger. i think the friendship with benny is very well written, and very touching. i also felt for jake in the scene where he is up at night in benny's room remembering his own room in NY and how he both misses and doesn't miss it

Letti
01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh yesyes. Such great parts.
And I loved about this book that this was the first book when Roland really tried to express his feelings. Or that's how I felt. I might be wrong but I felt it.
He wanted to love and he let himself love. And it's such a big thing! What a change...
He could love Jake... and at this part the members of the ka-tet could get even closer to each other even if they didn't pay attention for their own problems but for others'.

obscurejude
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
R of G, I also thought Jake and Benny's friendship was well done and how that led to so much inward strife with Jake concerning Benny's da. We see Jake handle himself as a man and it is a joy while also rather sad. He is true, but at the cost of whatever remained of his childhood. It was also interesting to see how this made Roland fiercely proud but at the same time sorry as well- knowing that difficult decisions were immanent. It reminded me a lot of Roland's test of manhood and perhaps presents Jake as the youngest of all gunslingers.

Dud-a-chum?
03-01-2008, 03:58 PM
The Dark Tower V: The Life and Lies of Pere Callahan.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't think the wolves and their story was developed well enough. They were supposed to be scary but they just weren't to me.

Wuducynn
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I didn't think the wolves and their story was developed well enough. They were supposed to be scary but they just weren't to me.

We never get the story behind the Wolves. From what I'm reading in the first issue of The Long Road Home, we might just be... :cool:

Letti
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I am rereading the Wolves now and I love it sooo much.
The wolves needn't be so scary. The things they did spoke without a scary look. Maybe that's why they were so horrible... some fellas on gray horses with terrifying wapons kidnapping little children to make them zombies.
For me it's scary enough.

Woofer
03-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.

Right-on Obscure..this is why its my second favorite of the series. I also love Callahan's story and how it is so closely connected with Roland's ka-tet.

Agreed agreed agreed. I didn't care for the pregnancy bits, but that's true of it in any of the books as I don't care for that as a plot device in the first place. The truth of Eld, the strength of the Tet, and the Pere's backstory sustain me through the other parts quite well.

I had - and have - more to say, but I can't think. I am zomby!!1 (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/zomby.jpg)

Scar
06-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I just started WotC last night. From the few posts I read in this thread; sounds like I have a task before me. Although I am not one to judge by others' measure. Hopefully I will say I loved it when all is read.

John.

I am still thinking about WG and I am not too sure I liked the whole Oz thing...

Letti
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I just started WotC last night. From the few posts I read in this thread; sounds like I have a task before me. Although I am not one to judge by others' measure. Hopefully I will say I loved it when all is read.

John.

I am still thinking about WG and I am not too sure I liked the whole Oz thing...

Be careful with reading the posts. If you ask me it's a damn good book so it wouldn't be nice to meet spoilers. ;) I hope you will enjoy it.

To tell you the truth that Oz thing didn't work for me either but now that I have read the book 3 or 4 times now it fits and it's okay. (But not my favourite at all.)

Darkthoughts
06-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Personally I love WotC. On a recent reread I found Drawing of the Three to be the most exciting book, because I knew what it meant, what the implications of Roland drawing these people would be...and similarly Jake's drawing in The Wastelands - but for overall reader staisfaction and enjoyment I'd chose Wolves.

For a start its just so...meaty! :lol: A tale packed with everything you could imagine - plus I'm a sucker for westerns.

Like Jayson, Letti and Ryan - I loved seeing the ka-tet in action, in the way gunslingers were intended to work.
It was great to enjoy Jake's brief timeout back into childhood and so, SO good to get reacquainted with the Pere.

I loved the visits into New York that occured too, real tense stuff, I had a real tangible sense of time being of the essence - great writing!

I enjoyed Roland's romance with Rosalita too - someone that, in another world, he really could have made a life with.

Jean
06-19-2008, 01:29 AM
wait Lisa, this thread is called "Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series", not "Why... Is..." - or else the bear would have posted here long ago, too! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Darkthoughts
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I know Bear :D I'm simply highlighting its merits for those that have not seen the light :lol:

Jean
06-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Clever.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_rolleyes.gif

Tony_A
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
I had no issue with the pace of Wolves. After the long wait for it to be published, the longer the better for me. Callahan's story may have been slower paced than a lot of the writing to date, but I found the story compelling enough that I didn't care. I also agree with what Letti said about seeing the Tet exemplify what being "The Line of Eld" meant with the way they handled their duty in the Calla. I enjoyed watching the plan come together and how Roland deftly managed to swing the Calla to his side. I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.

Agreed.

Also for me, this book really shows Jake's struggle with being a kid and being a gunslinger with everything that happened while he was staying with Benny.

Scar
07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

John.

Be careful with reading the posts. If you ask me it's a damn good book so it wouldn't be nice to meet spoilers. ;) I hope you will enjoy it.

To tell you the truth that Oz thing didn't work for me either but now that I have read the book 3 or 4 times now it fits and it's okay. (But not my favourite at all.)

I have been working a lot lately so WotC is going slow. I am on about page 700 or so. I do have to say that I think this book is great! I haven't even gotten to the final confrontation yet either.
I went to my local book store to get SoS. I found they had that and the final book for seven bucks a piece; they were hard cover too.
I am going through some hard personal things in my life right now and my saving grace seems to be my ability to escape for hours at a time with DT.

Scar
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Well I just finished Wolves O'. I thought it was a great book. Although I am not too interested in SK writing himself into the story. I am not sure what to expect from SoS.

Letti
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I just finished Wolves O'. I thought it was a great book. Although I am not too interested in SK writing himself into the story. I am not sure what to expect from SoS.

I felt the same way but now I do like it. You will get used to it. Go on, my friend. ;)

BillyxRansom
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
to get maybe half way through this book. GOD, SO MUCH DIALOGUE. And the problem is, this part is FULL of just brooooooken English!

Do I really need to read all of this to get it when the good shit comes?!

sarah
02-01-2009, 08:33 PM
YES! You absolutely must finish this book before you start Song of Susannah. Please don't skip parts. Lots of stuff that happens in WotC prepare you for the fast ride of Song of Susannah.

jayson
02-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I suppose it depends on what you consider the "good shit".

Jean
02-02-2009, 12:51 AM
right... I thought the dialog was the good shit...

Darkthoughts
02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Billy, I've merged your thread here :)

jayson
02-02-2009, 06:04 AM

With Wolves, I thought it was "good shit" from cover to cover.

Jean
02-02-2009, 06:07 AM
true... true...

alinda
02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I am spectacularly shocked that this is a thread ,
this book is a masterpiece. I must go read all you've
written, I just can't believe any one would feel this way.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/vmoods/images/Confused.gif

alinda
02-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Ok, after reading everything , I feel much better maybe we should rename this thread : Why WoC is a really great book!! ;)

Jean
02-02-2009, 06:41 AM
oh, absolutely. At .net we used to have a thread called "Why DT5 Sucks"; I kept writing eulogies there... when I managed to suppress the urge to bearmaul those who posted in compliance with the thread title, that is...

Wuducynn
02-02-2009, 07:28 AM

With Wolves, I thought it was "good shit" from cover to cover. <---

It's a solid number 2 for me.

jayson
02-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Definitely more than one way I can read that comment, especially given the prior comments about "good shit". :evil:

Wuducynn
02-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Definitely more than one way I can read that comment, especially given the prior comments about "good shit". :evil:

HAHAHAHAHAHA how did I not even think of that?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH

sarah
02-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok, after reading everything , I feel much better maybe we should rename this thread : Why WoC is a really great book!! ;)

there is already a love for Wolves thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1610) here. :D

jayson
02-02-2009, 08:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA how did I not even think of that?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH

That was what was most sweet about it was that I got to use that joke on one of your posts. I guess even the King of Low Brow Humor lets one slip by every now and again. :)

alinda
02-02-2009, 08:28 AM

there is already a love for Wolves thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1610) here. :D

So many threads, so little time, this place is still so big to me, I am sure there are an infinite amount of posts to be made:panic::wtf:

Letti
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
to get maybe half way through this book. GOD, SO MUCH DIALOGUE. And the problem is, this part is FULL of just brooooooken English!

Do I really need to read all of this to get it when the good shit comes?!

There is a thread somewhere and it's about the part the people love reading the most. Most of the people have chosen the option "Palavers".
I love this series. To bits. But the dialogues... man, they are the best.
(my two cents)

Jean
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
There is a thread somewhere and it's about the part the people love reading the most. Most of the people have chosen the option "Palavers".
Not only people! Not only people!!!

Bumbler19
02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I loved WoTC, I think i'm gonna wait till I do a reread to proclaim a favorite though... as far as WoTC building up to the wolves and then it being over... I thought it was fairly exciting and is anyone forgetting The Wastelands? They didn't even get on Blaine and actually gos out into the wastelands until the last few pages of the book, and the conclusion was in THE NEXT book (wizard and glass). DT does this a lot, it shouldn't have been a surprise XD

Rjeso
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Actually, the reason I didn't like this book was the references to things too recent in pop culture. For some reason, I was fine with stuff from the 80's being in the books, but as soon as I saw the Harry Potter-related stuff, the book lost me. It pulled me out of the story and the world that King had created up to that point. Yes, I know that Mid-World is our world in the future, but somehow that doesn't seem to matter to my brain.

Jean
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't think it's our world in the future at all. I think, however, that the inspiration for Seven Samurai, Harry Potter, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came, and countless other cultural phenomena, had the Dark Tower as its source. There's little or no difference between different decades - or millenia - when you look from the Tower; what happens closer to the core of all existence will be reflected in countless universes, calendar notwithstanding; there's no difference between Harry Potter and Romeo&Juliet, world-creation-wise.

Rjeso
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
That's why I think it's strange that it bothers me so much. In Mid-world, what's the difference between the 80's and the 00's? Nothing. It pulled me away from the story all the same.

Jean
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

alinda
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Interesting Laura really cant say I understand completely what you mean
but I think time really doesnt mean much at all when it comes to the stories, or life.
All indications are that strange things abounded every where/when.:)

Take today for instance......it made little to no sense at all to me :lol:

Merlin1958
02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Funny but I felt that it was a good start to the "endgame" so to speak (meaning the last 2 books) I agree it did drag a little but no where near as much as W&G did in the Days of Roland part. But, then again maybe its because I have re-read them all so much.

I too especially liked the Todash and Wolves parts

Brainslinger
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I loved WoTC, I think i'm gonna wait till I do a reread to proclaim a favorite though... as far as WoTC building up to the wolves and then it being over... I thought it was fairly exciting and is anyone forgetting The Wastelands? They didn't even get on Blaine and actually gos out into the wastelands until the last few pages of the book, and the conclusion was in THE NEXT book (wizard and glass). DT does this a lot, it shouldn't have been a surprise XD

Concerning The Waste lands, in my mind the Waste Lands wasn't just the nuclear desert but the city of Ludd itself. Come to think of it much of Mid-world itself is a wasteland in a way. It could also be a metaphor for the mental state of some of the characters too. (And probably other philosophical stuff that passed me by)...

... but anyway, I mostly agree with you concerning Wolves. There was a lot of great stuff leading up until the end battle. I rather enjoyed the palaver and back-stories too and the todash moments. And the wolves were also very relevant long before they ever appeared. They'd cast a shadow over the town for so long, and a couple of the wolves were right home there, disguised as friendly pet dogs as it were. (That sounds corny I know.)

Ok, since this is a 'what I didn't like' thread... I guess I found the thinking cap things on the wolves a little too convenient. Also at the start the Wolves were described as having guns as well as their fancy weapons. (I imagine that was mostly the villagers blowing things out of proportion though.) In the end that wasn't the case. I wonder if they would have provided more of a challenge if they had? Imagine having to duck bullets, and attempting to shoot sneetches out of the air before they blow your head off!

Matt of Gilead
02-11-2009, 09:41 AM
You know, it strikes me as odd that so many people dislike each book in this series, as this is a fan site for the series. I guess it's all different people.

Personally, I really enjoyed this book as an opportunity to see the ka-tet actually being gunslingers.

And I don't think even SK could write 4000 words about four characters.

Kidd Ikarus
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Just finished this book last night for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I liked going todash and finally learning some of the stuff that's so key to the series (i.e. '19', the rose, calvin tower, the vacant lot stuff was awesome . . . etc.). I can see how others may not like it as much though too. Father Callahan is an interesting character, but I felt like too much time was devoted to him. Like others, I wanted more of Roland and the Ka-Tet. One major turn off for me though was definitely some of the people in Calla. For most of the book, half of me really wanted Roland (after the whole speech he gave to Callahan in the beginning) to just wipe his hands and say, 'Fine. Fuck you people. Go ahead and die. We're out.'

Being gunslingers, I know they can't do that, but seriously . . . I really wish the ones like Took would've gotten killed one or the other.

AlishaRiley
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Why, oh why, have I not posted in here?
WotC is, quite possibly, the most compelling, and wonderful book I've ever read. In all seriousness, I absolutely loved it. :wub:
Not one aspect of it bored me, and I really love meeting everybody in The Calla - especially Callahan. I mean, really - what a guy!

sarajean
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM

perhaps because this thread is about NOT liking the book? :P

AlishaRiley
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Could have something to do with that, sarajean...definitely could.

:ninja:

Jean
04-21-2009, 12:20 AM
WotC is, quite possibly, the most compelling, and wonderful book I've ever read. In all seriousness, I absolutely loved it. :wub:
Not one aspect of it bored me, and I really love meeting everybody in The Calla - especially Callahan. I mean, really - what a guy!
The above is a perfect statements of bears' position.

(The "why" question seems to have been answered by sarajean, though)

Mad Man
04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't hate the book but it's the least favorite from the dark tower series for me :borg:

For me the whole book seemed stretched and a bit boring - what really killed it for me was Callahan :wtf: he and his stories totally left me cold and bored - i couldn't care less about them ><

BillyxRansom
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I just feel like this book is WEIGHING ME DOWNNNNNNNNNNN.

obscurejude
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I just feel like this book is WEIGHING ME DOWNNNNNNNNNNN.

Maybe you should try the paperback version?

AlishaRiley
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
:lol:

DoctorDodge
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I will say that whilst i do love Wolves of the Calla, i would also say it's not my favourite in the series. But, considering you have the brilliant DotT introducing some of the most interesting characters in literature in a truly compelling way, the truly epic Waste Lands, and the brilliant resolutions of the final volume, is that so surprising?

I've gotta say i do love the rich history of the whole book, from the little glimpses of Roland's past to the death and life of Father Callahan. Gunfights, androids, and Harry Potter references, not to mention the todash sequences, I certainly must say that i don't consider it to drag in the slightest. Unlike, i must say, Wizard and Glass, where very little of the actual quest seemed to happen, as good a story as Roland's love of Susan Delgado was.

So Wolves isn't my favourite, but that's only because there's so many other volumes in the series that's just PHENOMENAL.

unclelouie
09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I am about 700 pages in..... and I must say, I really, really enjoyed the part of "Telling Tales", in which Fadda Callahan tells his backstory. The hidden highways.... the alternate Americas.... the Type3 vampires... the low men... I thought it was a fascinating tale within a tale.... Im a huge fan of the Fadda... what can I say!

Jean
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
hear, hear!

jsmcmullen92
02-09-2016, 07:00 AM
I found the Mia aspect of the book a little boring. We already had Detta and Odetta which became Susannah. Then now we have Mia... seriously i was done with the multi personalities at the end of DOTT and now it seems like King couldn't let it go, Now we have Susannah, the occasional Detta AND Mia. Other than that I enjoyed the book. I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.

Jean
02-11-2016, 12:59 AM
I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.That's exactly what I loved about the book (among many other things, but that's not for this thread http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)). Remember in Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai: the master of sword obviously spends all his life in preparation and training... and when the moment comes, he just makes this single untraceable move, and the fight is over. I think the difference in pace between the preparations and the fight in Wolves is a very graphic illustration of what gunslinging is about.

Jon
02-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I feel that WotC was the "linchpin" of the series. It is my favorite by far. It forced my imagination like no other in the series. Much like The Tommyknockers, my mind was ablaze with possibilities.

jsmcmullen92
02-15-2016, 06:02 AM
I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass. I also really enjoyed WTTKH I love the universe of The Gunslinger but (please don't kill me for this) I am finding the 7 book series drawn out. I am at the point, about halfway through Song of Susannah, that I am just wanting to be at the end. I just want to know what happens when we get there but I feel like I will miss out on the enjoyment if I skip forward. Damn my impatience.

frik
02-15-2016, 12:27 PM
I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass.

Not so weird. It's my favorite as well -by far- and in many a poll I've seen it end up in the #1 position.

sk

Jean
03-11-2016, 08:18 AM
I feel that WotC was the "linchpin" of the series. It is my favorite by far. It forced my imagination like no other in the series. Much like The Tommyknockers, my mind was ablaze with possibilities.Wow!!!!!!!! I can't believe I don't remember hearing you say this before!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

divemaster
03-18-2016, 08:04 AM
I found the Mia aspect of the book a little boring. We already had Detta and Odetta which became Susannah. Then now we have Mia... seriously i was done with the multi personalities at the end of DOTT and now it seems like King couldn't let it go, Now we have Susannah, the occasional Detta AND Mia. Other than that I enjoyed the book. I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.

I agree 100%, with regards to the Detta/Odetta/Susannah/Mia character. This is why Song of Susannah is my least favorite DT book. I never cared for any of the permutations of that character. How many times did we have to hear about "the chap"? That's also why I rate The Drawing of the Three lower than most others. WAY too much Detta / Odetta. One or two "honky graymeat muhfucker" is okay. But like 100 times, really?

I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass.

Not so weird. It's my favorite as well -by far- and in many a poll I've seen it end up in the #1 position.

sk

Also my favorite.

As to the topic at hand, I really did like Wolves of the Calla. Number 3 on my list, behind the aforementioned Wizard and Glass and The Wastelands. But not too far behind. I can forgive all that Mia nonsense because the rest of the book was so good.

Jon
03-24-2016, 07:51 PM
But WotC has a robot named "Andy."

Not Deep Blue or IBM's Watson or even Honda's ASIMO... but "Andy." Kinda like the Lord of the Rings' horse named "Bill" among all the odd names in the series.

Perhaps I digress.

SolomonsGal
04-30-2016, 05:23 AM
I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.

I couldn't agree more! I felt an overwhelming surge of pride when Oy greeted the Calla-folken. Roland's Rice dance was amazing also. It was refreshing to see him having a good time and behaving as most humans do- even though his blue eyes were stone cold up until the end of his dance.

Roland and Callahan have a lot in common in this respect- they have seen the worst of humanity and it shows in their mien. Roland's eyes are forever cold, and Callahan can see the emptiness and sadness in a Dixie cup blowing across a street.

I do not think that this book was drawn out as a whole, but I do agree that Callahan's story was too long. I skimmed a few paragraphs (being a literature and ESL teacher I am the master at skimming while still getting the gist). But you know what? I did the same thing in the drawing of the three with Odetta/Detta. Her part of the tale really, really got to me...I don't know how to put it exactly- but it's akin to how I feel when I do too many crossword puzzles in a row. I just felt funny in my tummy and I wanted it to end (even though I liked it). Actually, I had to stop reading the series for a few months after that book. :-)