PDA

View Full Version : King event at St. Francis College on April 21, 2015

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-18-2015, 08:13 AM
For those who do not venture out of the Corner.

Thanks to Pablo..

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...rancis-college

It will be a scary evening in Brooklyn Heights when world-famous master of horror Stephen King comes to St. Francis College on Tuesday, April 21, at 7 p.m. to take part in a roundtable discussion at Founders Hall, 180 Remsen St.

Joining King will be his son, Owen King, as well as fellow horror novelist Peter Straub and Straub’s daughter Emma Straub, also a novelist. The discussion is co-sponsored by BookCourt, 163 Court St., Cobble Hill.

Stephen King, originally from Portland, Maine, began his career as a high school teacher who occasionally wrote short stories. In 1973, his first horror novel, “Carrie,” was published. Since then, he has published more than 50 books, many of which have been made into motion pictures, and has become one of the world’s most successful writers.

Peter Straub, who also specializes in horror fiction, is the author of 17 novels. They include “Ghost Story,” “Koko,” “Mr. X,” “In the Night Room” and two collaborations with Stephen King, “The Talisman” and “Black House.” He has won the British Fantasy Award, eight Bram Stoker Awards, two International Horror Guild Awards and three World Fantasy Awards.

Owen King is the author of “We’re All in This Together: A Novella and Stories” and co-editor of the fiction anthology “Who Can Save Us Now?” His short fiction has appeared in several publications.

Emma Straub, who lives in Brooklyn, is the author of “The Vacationers” and “Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures” as well as the short-story collection “Other People We Married.” Her fiction and nonfiction have been published in “Vogue,” “New York Magazine, “The New York Times” and other well-known outlets.

goheat
03-18-2015, 08:26 AM
A direct link to the event info at BookCourt HERE (http://bookcourt.com/events/kings-and-straubs) Looks like it's free if you Reserve a seat with Eventbrite on that page...

Kingfan24
03-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Wonder if there's a signing. Doesn't seem like it.

Jay127
03-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Yeah tickets are free. I live nearby and just picked up a couple. Even if there's no signing, looks like a cool event.

Papaseraphim
03-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Just got two tickets. I hope there's a signing, but I'll enjoy it either way!

Randall Flagg
03-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Should be cool. The center seats ~300. Not sure how much overflow there is to watch via video feed.

Randall Flagg
03-18-2015, 01:53 PM
I am thisclose to going. 5 nights in NYC. Gets a bunch of things off my bucket list.

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I am thisclose to going. 5 nights in NYC. Gets a bunch of things off my bucket list.

Can you send me some "Take Out", if you decide to go? LOL LOL

wolfehr
03-19-2015, 03:45 AM
Thanks for sharing! Just reserved my seats :)

tippy4
03-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Good thing you got them....tickets are now SOLD OUT

Roseannebarr
03-19-2015, 07:31 AM
For those who do not venture out of the Corner.

Thanks to Pablo..

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...rancis-college

It will be a scary evening in Brooklyn Heights when world-famous master of horror Stephen King comes to St. Francis College on Tuesday, April 21, at 7 p.m. to take part in a roundtable discussion at Founders Hall, 180 Remsen St.

Joining King will be his son, Owen King, as well as fellow horror novelist Peter Straub and Straub’s daughter Emma Straub, also a novelist. The discussion is co-sponsored by BookCourt, 163 Court St., Cobble Hill.

Stephen King, originally from Portland, Maine, began his career as a high school teacher who occasionally wrote short stories. In 1973, his first horror novel, “Carrie,” was published. Since then, he has published more than 50 books, many of which have been made into motion pictures, and has become one of the world’s most successful writers.

Peter Straub, who also specializes in horror fiction, is the author of 17 novels. They include “Ghost Story,” “Koko,” “Mr. X,” “In the Night Room” and two collaborations with Stephen King, “The Talisman” and “Black House.” He has won the British Fantasy Award, eight Bram Stoker Awards, two International Horror Guild Awards and three World Fantasy Awards.

Owen King is the author of “We’re All in This Together: A Novella and Stories” and co-editor of the fiction anthology “Who Can Save Us Now?” His short fiction has appeared in several publications.

Emma Straub, who lives in Brooklyn, is the author of “The Vacationers” and “Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures” as well as the short-story collection “Other People We Married.” Her fiction and nonfiction have been published in “Vogue,” “New York Magazine, “The New York Times” and other well-known outlets.

PABLO IS STEPHEN KING. Pablo you are a valuable resource to this site! I have concluded that you are SK or his Brother IN Law! I was just talking to another member here last night, your ability to scope out events like this is super human! Thanks for the valuable tip and sharing it so quickly!

Randall Flagg
03-20-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm shocked at the member blasé. It's East Coast (one month from now when presumably there is little or no snow), the tickets are free...
Please explain.

tippy4
03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking burn-out from Bradenton?

Jay127
03-20-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm excited about it. I contacted the event organizer, and he said they weren't certain if the authors would be signing. So there's hope. And who knows, maybe we'll get some exclusive news on a 3rd Talisman book.

Cook
03-20-2015, 04:09 PM

That and a million copies of signed Revivals on the planet..

Randall Flagg
03-20-2015, 05:33 PM

This event is not tied to Revival.
If a person isn't excited by being in an intimate 300 seat venue with 2 King and 2 Straubs, then they are missing out.

Roseannebarr
03-20-2015, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=tippy4;909876]I'm thinking burn-out from Bradenton?

I prefer king only and anywhere else but New York. Becca. and a few others where the only ones who did New York for revival. and only a few of us went to ny for dr sleep. I think it's location location location and the expense of NY. And the lack of details about event

wolfehr
03-21-2015, 05:17 AM

If a person isn't excited by being in an intimate 300 seat venue with 2 King and 2 Straubs, then they are missing out.

Obviously can't speak for anyone but me, but I'm very excited!

frik
03-21-2015, 07:49 AM
I am as well - and I'm not even attending!

sk

ELazansky
03-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Lots of things prevent me from going. A drive to Brooklyn on a weekday would be 2-3 hours each way, and I can't miss work. But more importantly, it is a school night and I need to take care of my kids. Just not that easy to get away mid-week.

Cook
03-21-2015, 09:11 AM

I never implied I wasn't excited... I'm extremely excited about this venue.
As mentioned earlier, It will be interesting to hear if the Talisman trilogy will ever happen.

goheat
03-21-2015, 09:15 AM
I am as well - and I'm not even attending!

sk

Me as well! Just can't make it logistically, but will be anxiously reading the posts of those attending!

Priest
03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm shocked at the member blasé. It's East Coast (one month from now when presumably there is little or no snow), the tickets are free...
Please explain.

I have a 4227.045 Miles (or 6802.769KM) excuse ... sometimes it really sucks not to be in the states more often..

becca69
03-21-2015, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=tippy4;909876]I'm thinking burn-out from Bradenton?

I prefer king only and anywhere else but New York. Becca. and a few others where the only ones who did New York for revival. and only a few of us went to ny for dr sleep. I think it's location location location and the expense of NY. And the lack of details about event

I didn't see this before it sold out or I would be going :(

Merlin1958
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Those traveling to NYC for the event, I highly recommend you visit this establishment!!!

http://peterluger.com/

herbertwest
03-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Have fun Jerome if you go !

RichardX
03-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Most of us have heard this standard speech more than a few times. The only reason I would go to the expense and aggravation would be for a signing, but King has become so snarky about that it's a gamble.

Randall Flagg
03-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Most of us have heard this standard speech more than a few times. The only reason I would go to the expense and aggravation would be for a signing, but King has become so snarky about that it's a gamble.
I certainly hope that in a round table discussion with Owen King, Peter Straub and Straub's daughter that SK wouldn't deliver his "standard speech".
To each his/her own, but since I've never been to New york city, this provides a chance to double dip and see King while also enjoying NYC. Prices for me are significantly less than the recent Florida event.
No need to sell you on the event. >500 people will be there.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-21-2015, 03:46 PM
If I could afford the flight from London to New York, I would be all over this. :thumbsup:

I would love to be able to see Stephen King and enjoy New York City at the same time. To think, I could even visit Yankee Stadium whilst there!!! :excited:

:YYY:

Priest
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
I could even visit Yankee Stadium whilst there!!! :excited:
:YYY:

Guys don't forget to check out Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
When i was there in 2009, the security officer of this building had great stories to tell ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/1-dag.jpg/800px-1-dag.jpg

And in addition, for those who might be interested, my map to check:

Stephen King - The Dark Tower Guide trough New York
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zk-dIlF136DI.klP-pYzfFR08

It was great to walk down the 8 Blocks, and realize that there are a lot of buildings, that gave the
motivation, or inspiration for the books. Turtle Bay is full of reverse-dt-references.

Have fun!

Bev Vincent
03-22-2015, 05:21 AM
I also have a DT guide to Manhattan in The Dark Tower Companion that shows every location from the series.

wolfehr
03-22-2015, 06:44 AM
I also have a DT guide to Manhattan in The Dark Tower Companion that shows every location from the series.

Being from NYC, now I'm extra excited for my pre-order from CD!

Randall Flagg
03-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Trip booked. Arrive Sunday and stay for 4 nights.

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 01:48 PM

IF, I can get Yankee tickets I just may do this.

sgc1999
03-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I cant believe i missed this!!! Im only a 3 and 1/2 hour drive. tix were gone before i heard:(

Randall Flagg
03-26-2015, 01:59 PM
I cant believe i missed this!!! Im only a 3 and 1/2 hour drive. tix were gone before i heard:(
PM me.

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Shit!! That's right, tickets for the event!!! What an ass!!! :panic:

herbertwest
03-26-2015, 02:04 PM

:thumbsup:

webstar1000
03-26-2015, 02:10 PM
You guys will have a blast!!! I am hoping to go another signing this year!

sharki69
03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Someone has extra ticket ? I may go....

Was out of the country and missed this :(

zelig
03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Someone has extra ticket ? I may go....

Was out of the country and missed this :(

If you can't get a ticket, I have one. It's yours if you want it.

Jay127
03-27-2015, 07:48 AM
I work in brooklyn, and was just in the book store that's co sponsoring the event. They have it listed as a round table discussion/book signing. So hopefully that's the case.

Kingfan24
03-27-2015, 08:33 AM
I'm going to be so disappointed if this turns into a signing but good luck for those going.

webstar1000
03-27-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm going to be so disappointed if this turns into a signing but good luck for those going.

Ill second that.

Merlin1958
03-27-2015, 05:06 PM

Ill second that.

If, Jerome is attending, King will be signing. I guaranty that!!! LOL

Randall Flagg
03-31-2015, 04:56 AM
3 weeks!

Randall Flagg
04-07-2015, 01:33 PM
2 weeks. Let's get together before the event.

racerx45
04-07-2015, 03:25 PM
For anyone going to this event or if you are going to be in NYC I highly recommend the show Sleep No More. If you have time you should go and see the show. Here is a link:

http://sleepnomorenyc.com/#share

Randall Flagg
04-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Got an email to submit a question.
I went with "Where do you get your stories?"

Kingfan24
04-09-2015, 09:14 AM
A little second hand shop up in Utica.

carlosdetweiller
04-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Got an email to submit a question.
I went with "Where do you get your stories?"

Always a good choice!

Bev Vincent
04-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I wonder how many Talisman 3 questions they'll get.

webstar1000
04-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I think someone should put him on the spot.. ask him what the projected release date for "The Battle of Jericho" is. lol

Papaseraphim
04-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Everybody knows that it's Schenectady:doh:

A little second hand shop up in Utica.

Randall Flagg
04-09-2015, 12:19 PM
The actual question I submitted (very doubtful it will be selected) was:

This question is directed to the group. Stephen King has obviously collaborated with Mr. Straub on two novels (and hopefully a third). He's also worked with his son Joe Hill on a few stories.
Any chance that all four of you could work together on something fun/quirky/scary?

herbertwest
04-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Who is the fourth person ?

Bev Vincent
04-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Emma Straub

herbertwest
04-09-2015, 12:59 PM
OK, and obviously the 3rd is not Joe (as mentionned in the question, which was misleading IMO) but Owen.

bdwyer19
04-09-2015, 04:14 PM

This question is directed to the group. Stephen King has obviously collaborated with Mr. Straub on two novels (and hopefully a third). He's also worked with his son Joe Hill on a few stories.
Any chance that all four of you could work together on something fun/quirky/scary?

I submitted a very similar question at the Bradenton event, asking if he has any pending projects with Joe or Owen. Unfortunately, the questions that were answered were all lame.

Randall Flagg
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM

I submitted a very similar question at the Bradenton event, asking if he has any pending projects with Joe or Owen. Unfortunately, the questions that were answered were all lame.
The questions asked in Bradenton were about as bad as could be imagined. The only funny/good part was a lengthy question/request for another fundraiser asking if King would help. King's immediate answer "nope!" was great.

Rahfa
04-09-2015, 05:28 PM
At the Pleasantville event many years ago, I could have asked a question - but didn't for some reason...

What I would have asked was "What's you most overrated and underrated books?"

It might have been interesting to hear him criticize his own work, but also talk something up that isn't that expected.

But I didn't ask that, and instead there were a lot of "You're amazing! Thanks for the nightmares!!!!"-style handjobs.

Randall Flagg
04-09-2015, 05:57 PM
I tried to phrase my question so that it was to the whole panel. It will be embarrassing (to Owen, Peter, and Emma) if a hanfdul of questions are selected and directed only to SK.
I actually asked a "live" question at the SK Lisey's Story event in San Francisco. No pre-editing, carefully (or stupidly) chosen questions for SK.

wolfehr
04-13-2015, 06:38 AM
I asked
How does working with a co-author differ from writing alone? How do you work together?

Also, I fully support some sort of get together before the event.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
I asked
How does working with a co-author differ from writing alone? How do you work together?

We usually do.
I've been looking for a cool venue close by (<.5 mile) and nothing looks right.

wolfehr
04-16-2015, 05:12 PM
I asked

We usually do.
I've been looking for a cool venue close by (<.5 mile) and nothing looks right.

Did a little research online and these places seem popular. What type of place are you looking for? I can reach out to some people I know in the area and ask if there's anything they can recommend.

< 0.5 miles
http://www.yelp.com/biz/floyd-ny-brooklyn-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/livingston-manor-downtown-brooklyn
http://www.yelp.com/biz/barcade-brooklyn

< 1 mile
http://www.yelp.com/biz/t%C3%B8rst-brooklyn
http://www.yelp.com/biz/clover-club-brooklyn

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 05:30 AM
I think I like O'keefe's sports bar and pub.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/o-keefes-bar-and-grill-brooklyn

wolfehr
04-17-2015, 07:04 AM

Ha, I was looking at that place and almost suggested it! I'd support going there.

Cook
04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Nice & close to the venue... I'll show up before or after, whatever everybody decides.

Ha, I was looking at that place and almost suggested it! I'd support going there.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
I'll be there before for sure. Likely between 4m and 5pm. I'll update via this thread on Tuesday.

EXPLORER
04-17-2015, 09:52 AM
All those places seem like options.. Thanks Wolfehr for some suggestion from a New Yorker. I officially got clearance today from surgeon to fly and make this event. We will be able to EXPLORE these places Sunday or Monday. Will check for things like most "smoke free" ,food, drink specials and beer menu and report back to Jerome and all prior to event.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Smoke free is a huge bonus.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking that light weight but important books to bring and have signed would be a Gunslinger 1st, a The Green Mile gift (volume one), and a couple of Mr. Mercedes trade first editions. I already have to deal with several other heavy books, and too many to take as a carry-on, yet afraid to bring back 30lbs. of books in checked luggage.
Oh well, nothing to complain about (unless the books are damaged, but TS as they say).

wolfehr
04-17-2015, 02:58 PM
All those places seem like options.. Thanks Wolfehr for some suggestion from a New Yorker. I officially got clearance today from surgeon to fly and make this event. We will be able to EXPLORE these places Sunday or Monday. Will check for things like most "smoke free" ,food, drink specials and beer menu and report back to Jerome and all prior to event.

Happy to help, and great to hear you can official make it! For what it's worth, all bars, restaurants, etc. in NYC are smoke free by law.

State of New York - Regulation of Smoking in Public and Work Places (http://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/public_health_law/section/1399/)

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 03:11 PM
I may have mentioned this up thread a bit, but if you have the means, Peter Luger's under the Brooklyn Bridge is one of, if not the best, steak houses in the country. Well worth the trip. Anyone who does go for a steak there please, pick me up a bottle of their famous steak sauce!!! You will be compensated!!!

Oh, bring cash. Unless there has been a BIG change, they do not accept plastic.

Randall Flagg
04-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Sitting at lark creek grill inside SFO airport having an IPA.
Board the red eye to JFK in an hour.
Woo hoo!

east-tennessee
04-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Sitting at lark creek grill inside SFO airport having an IPA.
Board the red eye to JFK in an hour.
Woo hoo!

Have 1 or 2 for me, Hope yall have a wonderfull time........

Randall Flagg
04-19-2015, 03:53 AM
Landed. Coffee for now. Couldn't sleep on plane. Today will be interesting.

wolfehr
04-19-2015, 06:02 AM
Great to hear people are arriving safely!

zedshead
04-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Wonder if there's a signing. Doesn't seem like it.
what's???
http://zaipics.science/5/o.png

Randall Flagg
04-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Been up for straight hours (have a hard time sleeping on planes), but have done the tourist Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Wall Street Bull stuff.
Stopped at Clinton Beer Hall for an Apex IPA. Room has a fabulous view.

Cereal Killer:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429473650-NYC%20RF%20Clinton%20Beer%20Hall.jpg

Room view:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429473670-NYC%20room%20view%20950x634.jpg

Priest
04-19-2015, 01:26 PM
I wish y'all great days!

zelig
04-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Have a great time... will be following along here.

EXPLORER
04-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Been up for straight hours (have a hard time sleeping on planes), but have done the tourist Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Wall Street Bull stuff.
Stopped at Clinton Beer Hall for an Apex IPA. Room has a fabulous view.

Cereal Killer:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429473650-NYC%20RF%20Clinton%20Beer%20Hall.jpg

Room view:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429473670-NYC%20room%20view%20950x634.jpg

We have been texting you fro Clinton beer garden.. Nice hotel, good area.... But no Jerome.

webstar1000
04-20-2015, 03:58 AM
Really excited to see what they say about Talisman 3... if they announce it of course....

Randall Flagg
04-20-2015, 04:20 AM
We have been texting you fro Clinton beer garden.. Nice hotel, good area.... But no Jerome.
After over 36 hours without sleep, I had a couple ales, dinner, dessert, and then went to bed at 7pm. Twelves hours later, I feel as fresh as a daisy (in a rainstorm...).

bdwyer19
04-20-2015, 04:42 AM
So, who is meeting up for tomorrow's event? RF, Explorer... Who else?

Randall Flagg
04-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Constant rain and winds today, so we spent 3.5 hours at the Museum of Modern Art. Packed to the gills. A person could spend 3 days there to view everything, but had a blast. Time for Happy hour and dinner in a bank vault...

Merlin1958
04-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Constant rain and winds today, so we spent 3.5 hours at the Museum of Modern Art. Packed to the gills. A person could spend 3 days there to view everything, but had a blast. Time for Happy hour and dinner in a bank vault...

http://carnegiedeli.com/

wizardsrainbow
04-21-2015, 03:25 AM
So, who is meeting up for tomorrow's event? RF, Explorer... Who else?

If I can get away in time, I'm coming with my 14 year old daughter. Roseanne Barr will be there, Lot Guy, Twisted Nadine, Tippy, others I think.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 03:57 AM
Had dinner last night with EXPLORER and his wife Deanna. Interesting place where you enter into an old bank vault. There is a 30 ton door at the entrance.
Behind our table was a lovely book display. Books were well preserved. So much so that EXPLORER asked and they agreed to preserve one of his King items. It should last forever.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429617194-Dinner%20NYC.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429617204-Wax%20books%20NYC.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429617212-Moth%20w%20wax%20NYC.jpeg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-21-2015, 04:17 AM
Moth to a candle... Nice!

mae
04-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Lookig forward to a complete play by play of the event, RF! :)

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Just finished The 911 Memorial. Somber but a must do.
Met Cook and Dea.
Plan on heading to event area soon.

Papaseraphim
04-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Wife doesn't want to go so I have one ticket if anyone can use it. PM with your email and I'll send you the pdf

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Will be at O'Keefe ' s at 4pm.
I'll have some Dt.org schwag.
I will be in red dt.org t

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Just met Bev Vincent.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Here in line with all of the stalkers.
Bev said CD edition of dry

Bev Vincent
04-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Randall Flagg just gave Peter Straub and his wife the bum's rush.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Guilty as charged. Standing in line and 2 people tried to cut the line.
Roseannebarre wasn't there to enforce so I yelled at the couple.
Turns out it was Mr and Mrs Peter Straub.
I shook his hand and apologized...and told him to never cut again

Randall Flagg
04-21-2015, 05:59 PM
They brought out paperbacks that were signed. The SK books were obviously what people preferred. There were a few insane hogs. People cut the line or grabbed books from other people's hands. Normally I would attribute that to a NYC...Brooklyn event, but the "Claw" is a known West Coast collector.
Literally clawed a signed MM out of my hand. There were two books and the "Claw" snatched both. The clerk was speachless.
It's one thing to steal one; this person stole two. Not even sure if they paid. I have a picture but will withhold it.
I

Bev Vincent
04-21-2015, 06:39 PM
The scoop of the evening is the working title of the third Mercedes book: The Suicide Prince

tippy4
04-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Was good to see you all.

My blisters have blisters, and I am exhausted.

Good event.....not great......not bad.

Got a double signed The Talisman and a double signed Black House (both paperback.....and not first printings) that I am keeping as momentos.

No update on Talisman 3.......the impression I got is that they are not actually working on it.......frankly, I am skeptical it will happen.

Roseannebarr
04-21-2015, 06:47 PM
They brought out paperbacks that were signed. The SK books were obviously what people preferred. There were a few insane hogs. People cut the line or grabbed books from other people's hands. Normally I would attribute that to a NYC...Brooklyn event, but the "Claw" is a known West Coast collector.
Literally clawed a signed MM out of my hand. There were two books and the "Claw" snatched both. The clerk was speachless.
It's one thing to steal one; this person stole two. Not even sure if they paid. I have a picture but will withhold it.
I

i absolutely had a ball! I shared all my information with everyone. I helped people when buying their books! It may of looked like I was hogging books, but I ended up with ten signed books from the event. Counting me, I had four people, brother, BIL, wife and me in my group. I deliberately stayed away from 2nd third fourth printings. I just wasn't inerested!

lot guy and twisted nadine hooked me up with one each and my peeps and I each got two! The book store did not set a rule on how many books we could buy, their mistake! There was so few people at the event, that I would be surprised if our group didn't each end up with several copies! I personally gave away a second edition mr mercedes and a fifteenth printing of on writing to my friends!

Stephen King personalized a 1st edition mr mercedes softcover to me! Made my night!

Asked him about talisman 3. I have to watch the video and see what they said, but it sure sounded like they have a story in mind! I was just too nervous!

Other highlight, I have a new best friend, lot guys mom! We spent all day in line together, I know where lot guy gets his skills! His mom knows how to work an sk event! I think she ended up with a few signed books by herself! Lot guy can tell you his own story about where he was, but he only got 1 small thing signed. Mamma lot guy rocked the line!

Roseannebarr
04-21-2015, 06:56 PM
At the end of night, I personally called several of my dt friends to see if they "needed" something that I may have, everyone said they were good. I wanted to make sure everyone in the group was taken care of.

cook if you need something for you or daughters friend please call me! No mercedes left though

I ended up with

1st edition mr mercedes paperback personalized to me. I was shocked and surprised to get it! It always pays to be nice!

2 under the dome first editions paperback
2 11/22/63 paperback
1 second Edition mr mercedes. Gave 2nd edition to another member
1 20th printing pet semetery
1 revival
1 black house later printing
1 salems lot later printing. ( thanks lot guy)

I Lost a copy of talisman in all the excitement, I don't know what happened. Signed by Peter straub and king

Roseannebarr
04-21-2015, 07:24 PM
event was very enjoyable, moderator did a great job moderating! Heard great stories, new stories and fun tales! I really liked the owen king/Stephen King interactions and the king/straub interactions. i have to watch it all again, my nerves were fried.

They had a reception with Peter and Emma straub afterwards, but everyone left and nobody knew it except lot guy and tippy,! Straub really took care of them too!

Three hour event lasted only 1 1/2 hours forgot to time it. Wife is checking time stamp on phone. Confirmed ended around 8:30

mae
04-21-2015, 07:33 PM
There will be a video of the event? Cool.

Too bad no T3 announcement.

wizardsrainbow
04-21-2015, 07:36 PM
I have to say a Thank Ya BIG BIG to Roseannebarr for his kindness and generosity...I brought my daughter to the event (we had a blast) and he gave my daughter a signed copy of On Writing. He is one of the best out there, a REAL person. I am honored to call him my friend. Thank you so very much!

Jay127
04-21-2015, 07:44 PM
I wound up with 6 signed paperbacks. Salems, the stand, the shining, on writing, talisman and black house double signed. All late printings, but at cover price a great deal. There were about 10 of us who caught Steve outside after the event, and he wouldn't sign anything else. Didn't put a damper on the event for me, I found it very enjoyable.

Lot guy
04-21-2015, 08:09 PM
The event was fun! Spent the day with Glen and his Family, had a blast! It didn't last for the 3 hours they planned but that's OK. It was great seeing all the members and meeting David's daughter who joined him!
I missed the presigned books completely, but my Mom who Glen schooled was able to get me and my Brother each some later printing books and me a couple first paperbacks and a Revival. Skipping the presigned was a gamble that payed off big.
Glen and I tried to get something signed all day, as people were sitting for the event I was able to make fast "friends" with Peter Straub. He brought me to where the authors were. The security told me not to come down but Straub said he's with me and I'm doing him a favor and personally handed my numbered NLR proof to King. He was sticking to no signing for people but didn't say no to Peter Straub. I of course thanked him more than once and had him sign one of his copies and he offered to take a picture. He was a genuinely nice guy! Rick(Tippy) is my witness.
I was able to give a couple tickets to some people who needed them thanks to some members. Thanks again for a great event to all.

sharki69
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
The event was fun! Spent the day with Glen and his Family, had a blast! It didn't last for the 3 hours they planned but that's OK. It was great seeing all the members and meeting David's daughter who joined him!
I missed the presigned books completely, but my Mom who Glen schooled was able to get me and my Brother each some later printing books and me a couple first paperbacks and a Revival. Skipping the presigned was a gamble that payed off big.
Glen and I tried to get something signed all day, as people were sitting for the event I was able to make fast "friends" with Peter Straub. He brought me to where the authors were. The security told me not to come down but Straub said he's with me and I'm doing him a favor and personally handed my numbered NLR proof to King. He was sticking to no signing for people but didn't say no to Peter Straub. I of course thanked him more than once and had him sign one of his copies and he offered to take a picture. He was a genuinely nice guy! Rick(Tippy) is my witness.
I was able to give a couple tickets to some people who needed them thanks to some members. Thanks again for a great event to all.

Pal, That's one of the best "how to get King's signature" stories ever ! You invent the wheel every time

Congrats all for a great event and signed books

webstar1000
04-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Sounds like another success had by all!!! Congrats guys:)

carlosdetweiller
04-22-2015, 03:46 AM
Did Peter Straub mention anything about his next book? It has been quite a while since The Skylark (A Dark Matter).

jhanic
04-22-2015, 03:58 AM
Congratulations, everyone! Sounds like you all had a blast!

John

bdwyer19
04-22-2015, 04:02 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed it! So what kind of stories did they talk about? Any revelations on future books?

Jay127
04-22-2015, 04:08 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed it! So what kind of stories did they talk about? Any revelations on future books?

For future books, King mentioned The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, he said it was a "big book", and the last of the MM series, called the Suicide Prince. When talking about a third Talisman, he said Straub sent him a book that could be "the motor" for it. Anyone remember what that book was? Straub is working in something I can't recall the title.

They told some stories about their collaborations on the Talisman books, and some family stories.

Bev Vincent
04-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Peter has a collection called Selected Stories due out next April, and is working on a novel called The Way It Went Down.

He sent Steve a book about Charles Starkweather called Red-headed Peckerwood that has Steve's imagination going for a possible T3 idea.

Dano
04-22-2015, 04:19 AM
Great stories! Congratulations, everyone!!!

Dan

Randall Flagg
04-22-2015, 04:25 AM
Bev Vincent in front of O'Keefe's:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429704997-Bev%20Vincent%20outside%20Okeefes.JPG

Rosannebarr talking to himself in line:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429704983-Roseannebarr%20in%20line.JPG

Roseannebarre, ?, Randall Flagg and Lot Guys mom:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429705012-RF%20and%20others%20in%20line.JPG

Starting to line up:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429705043-Lining%20p.JPG

Lot guy out back stalking:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429705059-Lot%20Guy.JPG

Inside theater. Very intimate:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429705070-Inside%20theater.JPG

Guests of honor on stage:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429705088-Panel%20on%20stage.JPG

Bev Vincent
04-22-2015, 04:47 AM
For the record, I was standing up in front of the bar.

Rahfa
04-22-2015, 04:47 AM
I

What happened here?

carlosdetweiller
04-22-2015, 04:52 AM
Bev Vincent in front of O'Keefe's:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1429704997-Bev%20Vincent%20outside%20Okeefes.JPG

Hey wait a minute........Bev's not a girl?

herbertwest
04-22-2015, 04:57 AM
I

What happened here?

That sounds absolutely awful. No respect nor manners?

webstar1000
04-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Great pics!!!!

Lot guy
04-22-2015, 05:32 AM
The smoke free campus picture came out great Jerome

Roseannebarr
04-22-2015, 05:47 AM

security was great! Emma Straub could not get into the event, her name was not on the list, the workers would not let her in! If only we could of videotaped that yelling match!

I'm Emma Straub!

sorry you are not on the list!

but I am the speaker!

But you are not on the list!

Roseannebarr
04-22-2015, 05:54 AM
book court did an awesome job! Glenn was fun to talk too, Anrdew event planner was a true gentleman, very patient with all the king fanatics! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lot guy
04-22-2015, 05:55 AM

security was great! Emma Straub could not get into the event, her name was not on the list, the workers would not let her in! If only we could of videotaped that yelling match!

I'm Emma Straub!

but I am the speaker!

Wow, I didn't here about that

bdwyer19
04-22-2015, 05:59 AM

I'm Emma Straub!

but I am the speaker!

Seriously?!? Wow!

Papaseraphim
04-22-2015, 06:03 AM
The evening was a blast!. It was great meeting Jerome, Mrs Flagg, Bev, Tippy, Roseannebarr, Cook, David from Betts and others I can't recall right now.

I managed to get signed paperbacks of Talisman and Black House and On Writing, but I agree with Jerome, the book sale was not well managed, people would just grab the books before they were even on the table.

The discussion panel was excellent, very funny. It was shorter than I expected. The announcement stated 7-10, but it lasted about a hour and a half.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/papaseraphim/IMG_20041.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/papaseraphim/media/IMG_20041.jpg.html)

webstar1000
04-22-2015, 06:10 AM
I am surprised they gave out books. Were they free guys?

Papaseraphim
04-22-2015, 06:13 AM
I was right next to Jerome when this happened and I was like WTF?

I

Ben Staad
04-22-2015, 06:14 AM
I'm pretty sure I read in someones post that they were sold at issue price.

carlosdetweiller
04-22-2015, 06:20 AM
It looks like Peter Straub has lost some weight. I can't really tell from the photo but that is what it looks like. If so, good for him!

zelig
04-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Looks like everyone had a good time. I'm sorry I missed this one... some good stories, and Matt your story regarding NLR is incredible, as usual! You have the book signing mojo going on for sure. I don't know how you do it, but it's a gift... congrats.

mae
04-22-2015, 06:24 AM
So Straub was filmed in May of last year saying they'll be getting back to The Talisman soon. I hope they stick to the 17 year cycle, and we'll see Talisman 3 in 2018.

Jay127
04-22-2015, 06:36 AM

They were at issue price. The book table was a bit crazy. They would bring out boxes of various signed paperbacks at intervals. They had maybe 30 on writings, but only 8-10 of some titles like the shining and the stand. They had some double signed talisman and black houses. Under the dome, 11/22/63, pet sematary, some DT paperbacks, others I can't remember. No limit on how many you could buy. I was there for the MM battle RF mentioned - only 4 copies, grabbed from the clerks hands before he could get them to the table.

Papaseraphim
04-22-2015, 06:53 AM
I saw him outside and he was holding a cane.

It looks like Peter Straub has lost some weight. I can't really tell from the photo but that is what it looks like. If so, good for him!

burial
04-22-2015, 07:15 AM
wow... awesome experience...
It's a pleasure to read your thoughts on that event... It seems it was enjoyable... and these books were nice additions...
as always... my sin is envy ;)

webstar1000
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM

They were at issue price. The book table was a bit crazy. They would bring out boxes of various signed paperbacks at intervals. They had maybe 30 on writings, but only 8-10 of some titles like the shining and the stand. They had some double signed talisman and black houses. Under the dome, 11/22/63, pet sematary, some DT paperbacks, others I can't remember. No limit on how many you could buy. I was there for the MM battle RF mentioned - only 4 copies, grabbed from the clerks hands before he could get them to the table.

That was a true story???? I thought RF was kidding! WHo would do that? Man that kind of disgusts me a bit....

herbertwest
04-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Should have punched the guy and told him to get the fuck out of here

Jay127
04-22-2015, 08:23 AM

It was a woman!

goheat
04-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a fun time; there are always intriguing situations (like the Claw) that make the signings extraordinary! Glad you all had a great time and hope to see some pics of the signed books soon!

Bev Vincent
04-22-2015, 08:34 AM

Yes, he's lost quite a bit of weight in the past year or so.

biomieg
04-22-2015, 08:42 AM

Yes, he's lost quite a bit of weight in the past year or so.

I saw a photo from a recent event (in some other thread) and I literally didn't recognize him!

tippy4
04-22-2015, 08:53 AM
A guy cut in line in front of me, and proceeded to scoop up all the King books. I tapped him on the shoulder and loudly told him there was a line. The clerk told him to drop them and go to the back of the line.

Unfortunately there were two autograph guys in front of me already and they scooped up all but two.

Those guys probably got 30 books.

needfulthings
04-22-2015, 09:06 AM

It was a woman!
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6453/2zEy60.jpg

Bev Vincent
04-22-2015, 09:23 AM
I liked the way Peter stuck his microphone into his suit coat pocket from time to time.

mikeC
04-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the posts! Was there any indication of an Owen/Steve collaboration? I bet that would be a funny book, they both have great sense of humor.
I really dug Double Feature.

herbertwest
04-22-2015, 09:40 AM

It was a woman!

Should have told her to fuck off.

Bev Vincent
04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
No. Peter talked about collaborating with Emma on something at some point in the past. He said she taught him that sometimes brevity is better--that you don't have to dig into the back story of every character's grandparents.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-22-2015, 12:04 PM

It was a woman!

Easier to down then. :ninja:

Papaseraphim
04-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Also interesting when asked their favorite books, King (after demurring about all his books being his children) said that Lisey's Story had a special place in his heart.

Peter Straub said The Throat was his favorite.

Emma and Owen mentioned favorite short stories, can't remember which ones.

carlosdetweiller
04-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Also interesting when asked their favorite books, King (after demurring about all his books being his children) said that Lisey's Story had a special place in his heart.

Completely agree with Peter on this. The Throat is one of the 10 best books (by any author) that I have ever read.

Lisey's Story? Not so much.

webstar1000
04-22-2015, 02:03 PM

Completely agree with Peter on this. The Throat is one of the 10 best books (by any author) that I have ever read.

Really? I have never read it.... Maybe I should?

dnemec
04-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Emma and Owen mentioned favorite short stories, can't remember which ones.

I just re-read Lisey's Story and I think it's really underrated. I'm surprised how many people dislike it.

Kingfan24
04-22-2015, 02:27 PM
I can't get passed the beginning chapters on liseys. For me it's a tough read for some reason.

bdwyer19
04-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I can't get passed the beginning chapters on liseys. For me it's a tough read for some reason.

Same with me. I've picked it up a couple times, and just couldn't find the motivation to finish it.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Having drinks at 65 Rockefeller. Fabulous view of Central Park to the north and lower Manhattan to the south. Sunset in 40 minutes.

Rahfa
04-22-2015, 02:49 PM
"Lisey" is great! Def. worth the push through the first chapters.

On topic, I still want to know what happened with the "Claw." I mean, she literally pulled it out of your hands as you were ready to buy?

Merlin1958
04-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Having drinks at 65 Rockefeller. Fabulous view of Central Park to the north and lower Manhattan to the south. Sunset in 40 minutes.

I envy you!!!

Theli
04-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you all have had a hell of a last couple days!

Lot guy
04-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Looks like everyone had a good time. I'm sorry I missed this one... some good stories, and Matt your story regarding NLR is incredible, as usual! You have the book signing mojo going on for sure. I don't know how you do it, but it's a gift... congrats.

Thanks Paul!
I picked up the numbered NLR Proof on the way to the airport the day before, so it all fell into place. It wouldnt have happened without Peter Straub's help though!

The Third book, "Suicide Prince" seems to be a fitting title after reading "Finders Keepers"

Dano
04-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Amazing Matt!

Congratulations on such a successful trip! Would love to hear about everything in person one of these days! I'm eager to know your thoughts on FINDERS KEEPERS.

Dan

zelig
04-22-2015, 07:09 PM

That's interesting. I will have to read that Straub book then as I haven't yet. I'm curious to know what are some of the other 9 in your 10 best books?

Bev Vincent
04-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Jordan -- King's webmaster -- posted a set of photos from the event on the official King Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.590639834408936.1073741834.191150541024536) .

webstar1000
04-23-2015, 02:54 AM

That's interesting. I will have to read that Straub book then as I haven't yet. I'm curious to know what are some of the other 9 in your 10 best books?

You know... I would like to hear that list too.

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2015, 03:42 AM

You know... I would like to hear that list too.

I don't have a top ten list. That was just a figure of speech and I probably should have worded it differently. Still, if I were to make such a list I'm pretty sure The Throat and Ghost Story would be on it. I really like Peter Straub's writing a lot.

mae
04-23-2015, 03:46 AM
Jordan -- King's webmaster -- posted a set of photos from the event on the official King Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.590639834408936.1073741834.191150541024536) .

No video yet?

Roseannebarr
04-23-2015, 04:36 AM

Webster, you crack me up! We attend a free Stephen King event and you think they are going to hand out free books to everyone for attending��

Typically, an SK event ticket sells for around $30 to $40 dollars (the cost of the book) and then they give you a book!

At this event they were selling later printings of all his books, and yes it looks like they cleaned off there shelf to get them.

A few members were only interested in first editions, me included.

webstar1000
04-23-2015, 04:40 AM

Webster, you crack me up! We attend a free Stephen King event and you think they are going to hand out free books to everyone for attending😃

Typically, an SK event ticket sells for around $30 to $40 dollars (the cost of the book) and then they give you a book!

Never know... they might not need the money. haha

Randall Flagg
04-23-2015, 06:09 AM

No video yet?
I posted a video in the Joe Hill thread where King mentions Hill's new book The Fireman.
I'm uploading 2 videos where King and Straub talk about working together on BH and Talisman, but there really is no new news. I'll post the links shortly.

mae
04-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Thanks. As far as Talisman 3, like I said earlier, I'll bet they'll put it out in 2018: The Talisman is 1984 + 17 = 2001 (Black House) + 17 = 2018.

webstar1000
04-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Thanks. As far as Talisman 3, like I said earlier, I'll bet they'll put it out in 2018: The Talisman is 1984 + 17 = 2001 (Black House) + 17 = 2018.

I believe it is coming... BUT I gotta ask.. at 67 YEARS OLD.... how many more books do you think King can get in before he is done? I mean he is knocking on 70's door. I would be happy with the rest of Mercedes, Talisman 3 and the last DT book. He is pumping out 2 a year still though! Ill take it mind you... but the end for us Constant Readers must be near.... has to be...

mae
04-23-2015, 06:27 AM
He looks pretty healthy, thankfully. I think he can easily go into his 80s and 90s (plus with modern advances in medicine more and more people are living past their 100s). It's all a matter of keeping your wits. Let's hope he does.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-23-2015, 06:31 AM
James Patterson is 68 years old and is still publishing several No. 1 best Sellers every year. Usually 4 per year.

Randall Flagg
04-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Video 1 of 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMrpAVuHJI&feature=youtu.be

herbertwest
04-23-2015, 06:41 AM
James Patterson is 68 years old and is still publishing several No. 1 best Sellers every year. Usually 4 per year.

And about 10 a year by cosigning books (I think that i've read that somewhere)

mae
04-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Herman Wouk recently published his new novel in his late 90s. He's still alive :)

Randall Flagg
04-23-2015, 06:45 AM
2 of 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eWnRZ3uPM&feature=youtu.be

webstar1000
04-23-2015, 06:45 AM
GREAT NEWS... would love to see that. He clearly loves what he does!

Papaseraphim
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Peter Straub commented that he and King were bouncing ideas for Talisman 3 revolving around the Starkweather Murders. He read a book called "Redheaded Peckerwood is a work with a tragic underlying narrative – the story of 19 year old Charles Starkweather and 14 year old Caril Ann Fugate who murdered ten people"

Any others who were there correct me if I am wrong.

Nick

I believe it is coming... BUT I gotta ask.. at 67 YEARS OLD.... how many more books do you think King can get in before he is done? I mean he is knocking on 70's door. I would be happy with the rest of Mercedes, Talisman 3 and the last DT book. He is pumping out 2 a year still though! Ill take it mind you... but the end for us Constant Readers must be near.... has to be...

mae
04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
That could be a very interesting (and dark) finale.

Bev Vincent
04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Here are the official event photos (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/48779859_T6r8dN#!i=4008206245&k=dF4Gsxr). I'm at the top, far right of #101 in a yellow shirt.

Bev Vincent
04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
A couple of SFC articles about the event:

http://www.sfctoday.com/features/2075-a-horror-ific-evening-stephen-king-visits-sfc.html
http://www.sfctoday.com/features/2076-family-fiction-the-straubs-speak-alongside-stephen-king.html

Lot guy
04-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Looking for DTV & DTVI paperbacks from the event if anyone has these for sale or trade, let me know. I hope it was OK to post in this thread as most members that attended have been visiting this thread.
Thanks

Merlin1958
04-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Looking for DTV & DTVI paperbacks from the event if anyone has these for sale or trade, let me know. I hope it was OK to post in this thread as most members that attended have been visiting this thread.
Thanks

Nope. Pretty sure you're facing a ban!!! Get out of here with that crap!!! Bounder!!!

You really NEVER get an opportunity to use that word!! LOL J/K BTW Makes perfect sense.

Papaseraphim
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Those disappeared pretty fast. I didn't get any.

I think there were more than one "Claw" there!:mad:

Thanks

Randall Flagg
04-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Here are the official event photos (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/48779859_T6r8dN#!i=4008206245&k=dF4Gsxr). I'm at the top, far right of #101 in a yellow shirt.

Close examination of the book line pics will reveal the identity of "The Claw"

Merlin1958
04-23-2015, 12:56 PM
So, where are all the pics??? I mean we got a few, but I thought you guys were all "Smart Phone Jockeys"!!! LOL LOL Before, during and after pics are more than welcome!!! Get posting people!!! LOL

Not you, "Lot Guy". You're a "Bounder"!!!! LOL J/K LOL

Bev Vincent
04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
There are over 100 in the link I posted above.

Lot guy
04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
So, where are all the pics??? I mean we got a few, but I thought you guys were all "Smart Phone Jockeys"!!! LOL LOL Before, during and after pics are more than welcome!!! Get posting people!!! LOL

Not you, "Lot Guy". You're a "Bounder"!!!! LOL J/K LOL

Bounder, ouch?

Merlin1958
04-23-2015, 01:25 PM

I know, Bev and thank you, but I meant "member photo's" of all those that attended. BTW, Bev you're looking good there, Author-boy.

herbertwest
04-24-2015, 12:21 AM

And those are nice pictures. Thanks for sharing !
Jerome can be noticed on a picture of the first page

Randall Flagg
04-24-2015, 06:50 AM
In one of the book line pictures is EXPLORER, Cook, and myself.

Roseannebarr
04-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Stephen Kind did not sign books in "public" at this event, do you think it was because he was trying to keep attention away from himself or do you think he is trying to stay away from public signings? He chose to sign books in private at this event and the Bradenton event. I also wonder if it is because he is becoming hard of hearing. I would like to know if the days of signing our books is gone.

EXPLORER
04-30-2015, 07:49 AM
In one of the book line pictures is EXPLORER, Cook, and myself.

Yes as we stand watching the two guys grabbing every King book on the table.
However note. Roseannebarr was not seen all over these pics this time.

Bev Vincent
04-30-2015, 07:51 AM
I think that it was in part to keep the event from becoming a circus and to be fair to the others participating. This wasn't a Stephen King event, it was a four-party event. He wouldn't want to overshadow the younger writers who have less of an audience. That's part of his generous nature, to my way of seeing things. It was never intended to be a signing, and he's already done his rounds recently so he's probably a little tired of it. That he agreed to pre-sign books at all should be considered an unexpected bonus. I didn't think there'd be any.

EXPLORER
04-30-2015, 08:23 AM
I think that it was in part to keep the event from becoming a circus and to be fair to the others participating. This wasn't a Stephen King event, it was a four-party event. He wouldn't want to overshadow the younger writers who have less of an audience. That's part of his generous nature, to my way of seeing things. It was never intended to be a signing, and he's already done his rounds recently so he's probably a little tired of it. That he agreed to pre-sign books at all should be considered an unexpected bonus. I didn't think there'd be any.

I agree with Bev that it is King's nature to not outshine other ( younger or new) writers.
When Mr King introduced author Lauren Groff at USF in Sarasota there was a hosted discussion speaking of how he first read her works while Editor for Best American Short Stories.
King was an enthusiastic part of the conversation with Lauren however made the point that it was an event to introduce and feature Lauren Groff.
He stated Lauren would be doing a signing and then promptly left in a little red sports-car after the event

* I was fortunate to notice there were a few unmentioned pre-signed copies of Duma Key off on a table away from where Lauren Groff was signing.

Papaseraphim
04-30-2015, 09:30 AM
I agree. He also likes to help independent bookstores. I'm sure Book Court ran out of King books and probable sold quite a few Straub books. And even some books from the younger King and Straub.