PDA

View Full Version : Do they deserve our adoration?

TerribleT
01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Do Hollywood movie stars deserve all of the adoration that they get? What about sports stars? Writers? What about in comparison to plain old everyday people? A mother? A teacher? A soldier/sailor/airmen? Who's contribution to society is most important? Do they practice what they preach? Do they really deserve all of the money, attention, worship, and adoration we heap on them?

Matt
01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
I think any one of them has to earn fans respect. To just be flat "ga-ga" over someone without knowing them is strange to me.

With King, its more about who he is than what he writes I think. I just like the cut of his jib :lol:

But he is the only "celebrity" that I even turn my head to hear about.

Jimmy
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't really care about celebrities beyond seeing or hearing their work. That's what I pay attention to.

I don't think they should be paid crazy amounts of money, though I understand the need for financial ability to protect themselves from craazy fans.

cozener
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Some do deserve, if not adoration, admiration at least. And then some don't Its something I have to take on an individual basis. Not all of them have the same character. Not all of them use their celebrity in ways that I would consider admirable. Celebrity "adoration" I'll leave to 14 year old girls.

That said...I absolutely adore Beyonce's ass. :)

Jimmy
01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I respect Daniel Day-Lewis, and partially fear him, but that's as far as it goes.

Mattrick
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Do they deserve our adoration? Well, if you love film (like I do) I hold many actors in high respect for their talents, but that goes for anyone in any profession. While I hate the Apprentice I give Donald Trump respect. Give a lot of respect to Vince McMahon etc. I don't care to know news besides their next project or updates on projects. I don't care who is dating who. What crazy shit they've done (though I do) and I often just joke about it. Keifer has taken a lot of jokes from my expense and I think Keifer rules.

Reality TV makes it worse. Who cares what Hogan's Family does or Snoop Dogg's family? It's all pointless but it makes Celebrity lives seem ever more important. I understand that being in the public eye, some significant things in your life will be in the public knowledge but it's ridiculous. With some of them their EVERY move is photographed or journaled in some way by someone and it's fucked up.

Letti
01-24-2008, 02:19 AM
A few do.

jayson
01-24-2008, 04:29 AM
I don't really care about celebrities beyond seeing or hearing their work. That's what I pay attention to.

That's exactly how I see it as well Jimmy. I try not to form opinions about people based on anything other than what I know of them. I don't know any of these people outside of their work so I can't judge them, positively or negatively. I know the media is filled with stories about the things these people do in their personal lives, but why anybody cares [especially the news media] is beyond me.

I've actually had a chance to meet and talk to several of my musical heroes [part of the joy of being into people who don't play the biggest of venues]. These were people that could easily have tremendous egos, but the vast majority of them have been very down to earth people. One of them would have gladly stood there and talked to me all night if he didn't have a show to play. Another I spent a two hour plane ride with and he was easily the best "single serving friend" I've ever met on a plane. It all backed up my thoughts that outside of their work, I knew nothing of what kind of people they were.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 05:51 AM
Well, here's my take on it. They possess a talent, but they are nothing more than that. Their talent is no more valuable to society as a whole than the talents that most of you display on any given day in your own job. I'd even argue that it's less valuable and less important. I understand that some of them make fairly significant contributions to society, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm. I have much higher regard for the teacher that goes into a classroom every day and tries to teach kids, the nurse, the soldier. People in Hollywood don't matter to me, what they think doesn't matter to me. I'm tired of hearing about them. They just really aren't that important to me. When yet another of them OD's on drugs, I'm not surprised by it, nor do I really care. You think the pressure of trying to put on a good performance in a movie is tough? You haven't seen real pressure like trying to make sure that the kids are fed, the mortgage is paid, and the job gets done. Try spending your day not to getting your ass blown off in Iraq. I don't think too much of most of them, and I don't think many of them deserve the adoration, and attention that they receive.

Mattrick
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
You think the pressure of trying to put on a good performance in a movie is tough? You haven't seen real pressure like trying to make sure that the kids are fed, the mortgage is paid, and the job gets done. Try spending your day not to getting your ass blown off in Iraq. I don't think too much of most of them, and I don't think many of them deserve the adoration, and attention that they receive.

You're argument is pretty invalid. Enough actors have had to work their way through school, working menial jobs, not knowing where the rent is coming from while trying to hone their craft. Once they make it though, those worries go away. It's no different than someone who works 8 years through med school to become a doctor who makes 700,000 a year and drives 100,000 car.

People are homeless, living on the streets, people have cancer and handicaps and issues they have to deal with. I'm sorry that you're worried about not getting attacked in Iraq but no one held a gun to your head and put you in that scenario.

It sounds to me you suffer more from Jealousy that they have to so easy as opposed to them being in the public eye. I'm not sure how their contributions are less valuable than others. Afterall, the jester was among the most reverred people in the kingdom. Think about how much you'd enjoy your life if no one worked to entertain you. You wouldn't be on this site, having this discussion because Stephen King wouldn't have been writing if entertainment was invaluable.

Spencer
01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, here's my take on it. They possess a talent, but they are nothing more than that. Their talent is no more valuable to society as a whole than the talents that most of you display on any given day in your own job.

I'd totally agree with that. I'd say that the reason for the admiration, (AND the resentment), of these folks comes from the fact that, because of their talent, mixed with lucky breaks, they ARE getting paid to do what many people WISH they could get paid to do.

Wuducynn
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Their value to "society" is determined by how much value they create, like anything else. If they're making the folks who work for studios and theaters lots of money, and entertaining millions of folk then they are highly valuable. As far as adoration? I never speak in "shoulds" in regards to large populations of individuals. If you want to adore someone for whatever reason actor, writer, go ahead.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
You think the pressure of trying to put on a good performance in a movie is tough? You haven't seen real pressure like trying to make sure that the kids are fed, the mortgage is paid, and the job gets done. Try spending your day not to getting your ass blown off in Iraq. I don't think too much of most of them, and I don't think many of them deserve the adoration, and attention that they receive.

You're argument is pretty invalid. Enough actors have had to work their way through school, working menial jobs, not knowing where the rent is coming from while trying to hone their craft. Once they make it though, those worries go away. It's no different than someone who works 8 years through med school to become a doctor who makes 700,000 a year and drives 100,000 car.

People are homeless, living on the streets, people have cancer and handicaps and issues they have to deal with. I'm sorry that you're worried about not getting attacked in Iraq but no one held a gun to your head and put you in that scenario.

It sounds to me you suffer more from Jealousy that they have to so easy as opposed to them being in the public eye. I'm not sure how their contributions are less valuable than others. Afterall, the jester was among the most reverred people in the kingdom. Think about how much you'd enjoy your life if no one worked to entertain you. You wouldn't be on this site, having this discussion because Stephen King wouldn't have been writing if entertainment was invaluable.

Actually, you assumed that I am in Iraq, or ever was. I actually make a pretty comfortable living, and am pretty happy with my life. I can assure you that this is not bourne of jealousy. My point is that we seem to have some kind of reverence for movie stars that they do not deserve. Further, my point is that acting, like almost everything else is a talent. Let me ask you this, who has a greater impact on your life, the accountant at your job who is responsible for making sure you get your paycheck, or a movie star? Who's talents do you value the most?

Jean
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Do Hollywood movie stars deserve all of the adoration that they get? What about sports stars? Writers? What about in comparison to plain old everyday people? A mother? A teacher? A soldier/sailor/airmen? Who's contribution to society is most important? Do they practice what they preach? Do they really deserve all of the money, attention, worship, and adoration we heap on them?
Good question. I'll get back to it as soon as I can - now my head is swimming because of all the stuff I have to do about restoring my data and programs - just want to (very roughly) sketch some main points:

1. In the Soviet Union we used to have something like a cult of "ordinary people", "heroes of common life" etc. Workers who melted a lot of steel, collective farm paysants who grew a lot of wheat, etc. It leads nowhere. (details later)
2. They don't practice what they preach; and they don't have to practice what they preach; because they shouldn't preach at all, and we shouldn't listen. If we want to be preached at, we go to the church.
3. About adoration: it's only a game society plays. If we remember it's a game, it's all right. If we start take it too seriously, it's not. The same goes for most other things, though.
4. They make us happy. Who else does? By this very thing they do deserve the money and the attention.

Letti
01-24-2008, 10:44 PM
But is it a real adoration at all? Would the people save these movie and other stars' lives in danger to risk their owns'? I don't think so... maybe a few of them.
They adore them as long as they are far away and they needn't do anything more. Just watch the movie and stuff. It's just a big balloon. No more.

The real meaning of the world got lost long time ago. To buy magazines and movie tickets and to put some posters on your wall... that's something else.

ATG
01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
They do not deserve the attention.
Acting is an overrated skill.

Jean
01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
They do not deserve the attention.
Acting is an overrated skill.
I disagree completely.

There are a lot of movies - Russian, well, Soviet movies - I remember from childhood. They were good, and their characters were my friends, - or enemies, - just like the characters of a good book can be. They were played by great actors and actresses, none of whom under our regime could ever in their life make more than one hundred bucks. For all the happiness they gave me and for all the good they did to all kids, and not only kids, they had to live and die in poverty. Because, mind you, the salaries were fixed, and the salary of an actress who was loved by everyone in the country could never - God forbid! or rather, communist party forbid! - be higher than that or a turner, or plumber, or whoever else who worked with their hands. It was fucking unfair, because what they do - I am talking about good actors here - becomes part of us, and it is a good part I am more than ready to pay a lot for.

TerribleT
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
For clarification...I did not really intend for this thread to be about money. My thoughts on that are that whatever the free market determines you should make, is what you should make. If a motion picture company wants to pay a star X number of dollars, because they think that star can draw it at the box office, GREAT!!! If you're willing to pony up ten or fifteen bucks for a ticket to a movie, more power to ya. (I am, depending on the movie) That's America at work!!! My issue is with Britney, Lindsey, Paris, Winona Rider, the list just goes on and on ad nauseum. Then you have the bunch who inspite of the fact that they've reaped enormous benefits from America, and our capitalistic system, turn around and villify it for providing them with the opportunities that have been given them. (Maybe they need to speak with some of those Russian actors, eh Jean) Then Heath Ledger dies, and there this giant uproar about it. My thing is this, I really don't think he matters that much. He's just another guy who is either unable to follow simple directions on a prescription bottle, or committed suicide. Supposedly he was having trouble sleeping, and was under a lot of stress from his recent role in The Joker. I think the average person in almost any society has to deal with sleeping problems, job related stress, and the stress of trying to provide for a family. I am sorry that he died, but no more sorry than I am when I read someone was killed in an avalanche at a ski resort, or something like that. In short, I'm saying why do we listen to this unstable bunch of losers who can barely perform the day to day functions that most of us take for granted. I don't think they deserve the adoration. I think Daggers has a harder job than most of them do, and she doesn't get paid the amount of money they do. I have more respect for the people who work out on the manufactuirng floor making boxes, than I do for most actors, actresses, and celebrities.

LadyHitchhiker
01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I love movies... I just wish there were more average looking men and women on the screen, so that we didn't have such a high status quo to try and live up to... but then again, it's nice to look at pretty faces on screen, and maybe average isn't good because then it gives people unrealistic expectations of being able to meet them and get to know them. *shruggles*

Mattrick
01-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Actually, you assumed that I am in Iraq, or ever was. I actually make a pretty comfortable living, and am pretty happy with my life. I can assure you that this is not bourne of jealousy. My point is that we seem to have some kind of reverence for movie stars that they do not deserve. Further, my point is that acting, like almost everything else is a talent. Let me ask you this, who has a greater impact on your life, the accountant at your job who is responsible for making sure you get your paycheck, or a movie star? Who's talents do you value the most?

Sorry, you're wording made it seem as though you'd been overseas. A friend of mine is in Afghanistan right now as part of a convoy.

Well, the accountant at my job (if I had one) is no different than an actor. They perform a service for lots of people they don't really know and collect a paycheck. If I worked in the movie industry I'd say a movie star. Since I plan to go into film I'd say actors and directors etc are impactful in my life, though I do not obsess over them.

As for, at this moment, if I had a job, which I'd value more? I'd say the actor. Anyone can learn to crunch numbers but not everyone can learn how to act.

I never feel sad when a celebrity dies, I don't know them. will I miss them and their contributions to the entertainment world? Hell yes, but I'm not connected. I don't care who is dating who or who adopted this person. I'm not sure why anyone would. I guess dull people who lead dull, empty lives need to fill their cares with something. I also think it's that high school mentality. High school is all gossip; cool kids, loser kids, who did this and that, who dated who and who had sex with who and who did what drugs. These people get out of high school and lose gossip so they change to celebrities.

LadyHitchhiker
02-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I dunno.. I feel sad when I feel attached to someone, and if I see enough movies with them in them you almost feel like you know them.

Girlystevedave
02-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I could be considered a hypocrite for saying that celebrities are over-paid and over-rated, since I watch tv and movies. I guess I'm kinda helping pay their salaries.... But I do think celebrities are put on a pedestal as if they're changing the world as they read a million dollar script.
Why not remember our firefighters, our teachers, our mothers and fathers striving to raise their families? We should remember that celebrities are merely humans like all of us. People should be defined by, not their career, but what they DO.

cozener
02-11-2008, 07:17 AM
What annoys me is when people talk about how "hard" acting is. Please. That might be true for someone still paying their dues but not for the A list stars. It might be hard while you're working...maybe...depending on the part you're playing. But once you're a star you don't have to work that much and you can pick and choose your roles.

But there are definately hardships that come along with being a celebrity.

There's a lot of pressure on this people to look good. We can slack on our diets. We can skip our workouts. We don't have to worry so much about taking care of ourselves in general as much as say...Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz does. And as soon as they're ages start to show there's some fatass paparazzi wanting to criticize them for it. Which brings up another thing...

I fucking hate the paparazzi. I don't believe that being famous should be an abdication of your right to privacy. Sure, take a picture of Jude Law walking out of a restaurant with his latest leading lady but there's no legitimate reason to follow the dude home in an attempt to get pictures of him screwing her. It’s not our business.

But I suppose it isn't as much the paparazzi I should hate (although I do think they're, on the whole, pieces of shit willing to harass anyone to get that picture or find out that embarrassing little fact) as much as the nosey ass people that buy the magazines they put out.

Wuducynn
02-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah, Cozener you know you have a shrine to Britney Spears in your creepy cellar.

Brice
02-11-2008, 07:24 AM
What annoys me is when people talk about how "hard" acting is. Please. That might be true for someone still paying their dues but not for the A list stars. It might be hard while you're working...maybe...depending on the part you're playing. But once you're a star you don't have to work that much and you can pick and choose your roles.

But there are definately hardships that come along with being a celebrity.

There's a lot of pressure on this people to look good. We can slack on our diets. We can skip our workouts. We don't have to worry so much about taking care of ourselves in general as much as say...Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz does. And as soon as they're ages start to show there's some fatass paparazzi wanting to criticize them for it. Which brings up another thing...

I fucking hate the paparazzi. I don't believe that being famous should be an abdication of your right to privacy. Sure, take a picture of Jude Law walking out of a restaurant with his latest leading lady but there's no legitimate reason to follow the dude home in an attempt to get pictures of him screwing her. It’s not our business.

I know, right. They could at least be decent and have the videocameras all set up in their bedrooms beforehand, so as to not intrude.

Wuducynn
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
It’s not our business.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Letti
02-11-2008, 08:10 AM
It’s not our business.

I couldn't agree with this more.
So true.

About Britney... I didn't give a damn about her for long. (However it's true about most of celebrities... actors... singers...) I wasn't interested in her music or in her life. Yeah, I saw that she's a pretty chick and she had an okay voice but she couldn't touch me.
But you know for awhile I have been feeling so sorry for her. Really. I wish I or anybody else could help her.

Wuducynn
02-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, but Letti, you don't have a shrine to her in your cellar like Cozener does.

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I used to have a shrine in my room to Jimi Hendrix...