PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Stephen King The Dark Tower book & re-write of the whole saga?

skyofcrack
11-11-2014, 10:58 PM
This is crazy. :eek:

In the not too distant future, King says he'd like to revisit his seminal Dark Tower series and possibly write one more addition to his fantasy epic.

"The one thing that is missing in the books is The Fall of Gilead," he says.

"But I'd like to go back to all of them and revise the whole series because it’s really one book. I’m delighted people loved them, but I think of those books as a rough first draft of a very long novel. I’d like to go back and rewrite 'em all."

mae
11-12-2014, 12:18 AM
He's been saying that since the revised Gunslinger. I highly doubt it. But a new book is certainly likely

herbertwest
11-12-2014, 12:58 AM
I agree with that.

stroppygoblin
11-12-2014, 02:51 AM
I'd like to see the "Corporation Wars" years. Somna/NCP against The Tet. See what John Cullum, Moses Carver and Aaron Deepneau got up to over the years....

Bev Vincent
11-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Here's what he told me about the possibility of rewriting the whole series:

I know that I could do work that would please me as the author, but I think that a lot of people might pick up the books and pay the money and say, geez, I don’t know why I bought this. He sold me the same book. The changes would be there, but they would be subtle. The real Dark Tower junkies would know but, for the general reader, I don’t think so.

biomieg
11-12-2014, 03:41 AM
I think he's right. IMO, a rewrite of the Dark Tower saga would lend itself perfectly for a limited edition (preferably condensed in a couple of large Centipede Press volumes) but there's not a big enough market for rewritten trade editions.

Bev Vincent
11-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Plus I'd much rather he spend his valuable writing time working on something new -- DT related or otherwise.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-12-2014, 04:01 AM
The scriptwriters will rewrite the whole series when they eventually start the films. This rewrite will become the "true story", just like, "Lord of the Rings", "Harry Potter" or history changers like, "Braveheart" which is now the "Actual" history.

Cook
11-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Plus I'd much rather he spend his valuable writing time working on something new -- DT related or otherwise.

Absolutely 100% agree, something new.
Thanks for sharing.

webstar1000
11-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Jerhico Hill is the next book... I would bet ya! I think he has said this a few times... can you chime in Bev?

AKC
11-12-2014, 05:34 AM
I posted this in the Random Comments Thread last week….

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031

webstar1000
11-12-2014, 05:39 AM
I posted this in the Random Comments Thread last week….

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031

Thanks! Will read today mate:)

Girlystevedave
11-12-2014, 06:28 AM
From the Rolling Stone interview: "There's a missing element – a big battle at a place called Jericho Hill. And that whole thing should be written, and I've thought about it several times, and I don't know how to get into it."

I would love for King to visit this portion of the Dark Tower saga. :)

mae
11-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Don't forget, there's a separate thread for the RS interview: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18790-Stephen-King-interview-in-Rolling-Stone

Bev Vincent
11-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Jerhico Hill is the next book... I would bet ya! I think he has said this a few times... can you chime in Bev?

He said the same thing to me when I interviewed him for The Dark Tower Companion. He said that he deliberately did not look at the graphic novel adaptation of that storyline because he didn't want their ideas to collide with his own. As for whether it is his NEXT book, I couldn't possibly say. I suspect he's working on the third Mercedes book. Maybe his meet-up with Peter in NYC will spawn something there, too?

webstar1000
11-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I would agree with you Bev... I think you will see the 3rd Mercedes book and likely in 2016 where he has 2 coming out next year... I do feel however that a strong possibility for end of 2016 or 2017 at the latest a Dark Tower book. I think this because he talks about it... we all know he wants to write it and when he starts.... he will keep going. He will never re-write what he is done now though.. I would be SHOCKED if he did. kris

George at C-Springs
11-12-2014, 09:01 AM
What I 'd like to see is an origin story for all of Roland's world; who the Great Old One's were, the building of the tower, the beams, the doors, Lud, dimensional travel, how it all went wrong, the war that destroyed everything, what North Central Positronics actually did, who exactly Bango Skank was (is?), and how the world moved on to eventually become what Roland knew. I want to know how it all began.

I've already read about the battle of Jericho Hill ... tell me a story that I haven't heard yet!

webstar1000
11-12-2014, 09:11 AM
What I 'd like to see is an origin story for all of Roland's world; who the Great Old One's were, the building of the tower, the beams, the doors, Lud, dimensional travel, how it all went wrong, the war that destroyed everything, what North Central Positronics actually did, who exactly Bango Skank was (is?), and how the world moved on to eventually become what Roland knew. I want to know how it all began.

I've already read about the battle of Jericho Hill ... tell me a story that I haven't heard yet!

The comics dont count! King did not write about the battle there yet.... I would take anything he writes on the DT.

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 11:15 AM

I'm with you 100% on that, George!!! Would love to read that story!!!

fearless-freak
11-12-2014, 11:21 AM
didn't King rewrite huge chunks when the publishers re released the early DT books

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 11:37 AM
didn't King rewrite huge chunks when the publishers re released the early DT books

Only for "The Gunslinger", which is listed as revised to my knowledge, but I may be mistaken.

fearless-freak
11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
you're right Merlin, but i'm sure King said that after The Gunslinger got revised he decided a rewrite for the entire series was no longer necessary

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
you're right Merlin, but i'm sure King said that after The Gunslinger got revised he decided a rewrite for the entire series was no longer necessary

Well, I guess his thinking changed, which may be a good thing as far as him getting back to Mid-World and more stories from that genre. At least we can hope so.

fernandito
11-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Nah, just give us a revised DT VII, one where ..

Roland has the Horn with him and we find out what's really at the top of the Tower.

:)

jhanic
11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Instead of a rewrite of the DT series, I'd much rather see a NEW DT story, a la Wind Through the Keyhole. The Battle of Jericho Hill story would be great!

John

webstar1000
11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't know why people didn't like 7... I loved it:) thought the ending was perfect:)

CyberGhostface
11-13-2014, 04:45 PM
If the Revised Gunslinger was any indication, I'd be against a full-on revising.

There'd be a lots of unnecessary 'foreshadowing' to the later books, everyone would speak like they were in the Calla (which, really, makes no sense especially since Roland never speaks like it again in the series until he actually arrives there), etc.

Drawing of the Three for example is a near-perfect novel, imagine how the conversations between Eddie and Roland would be if they were spliced with "Yar!" and "May it do ya fine!"

Girlystevedave
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
You know, I think I'd have to agree with you about the foreshadowing.
I wasn't too crazy about the added stuff in the revised Gunslinger.

Girlystevedave
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I don't know why people didn't like 7... I loved it:) thought the ending was perfect:)

Me too. :)

SystemCrashOverRide
11-14-2014, 06:16 AM
I've said it before, but I felt like the re-write of The Gunslinger may have technically been a better novel, in terms of it's relevance to the series and its revision of the 70's slang that doesn't seem to exist elsewhere in the series...but it's like listening to one of your favorite songs and realizing they've changed all the verses. Sure, the chorus is the same, but somehow I felt robbed of the familiarity I had with the original. I grew found of the quirks upon multiple re-readings, even if they did show King's age when he wrote it and the era in which the Gunslinger was first conceived.

I would LOVE to see more Dark Tower, and I thought the comics were great at first but I've fallen off that horse over time. Haven't even looked at the new Drawing of the Three stuff...

I vote he writes more new content than re-write the old stuff. Not that our votes count for shit, he's going to write whatever he wants to, and I'll happily read it, re-writes or new.

Merlin1958
11-14-2014, 09:59 AM

I love the ending, now. However, when it first came out, and having been reading and waiting for some 20+ years, I was livid at first. Still have issues with the Flagg and Mordred deaths, but I have come to accept and treasure the ending. It took some time and re-reads though.

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 10:30 AM

I love the ending, now. However, when it first came out, and having been reading and waiting for some 20+ years, I was livid at first. Still have issues with the Flagg and Mordred deaths, but I have come to accept and treasure the ending. It took some time and re-reads though.

Agree Bill. I felt the death of Andy the robot was better than Flagg. His death should have been at the hands of Roland AND been more epic... Mordred I was ok with as I was with the Crimson King... but Flagg getting sucked off by a spider after being in over half of King's work was brutal. lol

mae
11-14-2014, 10:52 AM
I thought Flagg's death was great. Why does it have to be epic?

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 10:54 AM

I think he was such a driving force and the bad guy... he was filled by A) the wrong person.. and B) in the wrong way. And is not King's work to be "Epic" in some regard? Flagg's death for me was shitty... no other way to put it. sorry...

Merlin1958
11-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Because next to the CK he is the biggest baddie in the King universe. Are you daft or just being a devil's advocate?

mae
11-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Are you daft or just being a devil's advocate?

Neither. I sincerely enjoyed the way Flagg was eaten.

Merlin1958
11-14-2014, 11:05 AM

To each his own.

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Did you not wish Roland played more of a part being his life long adversary and causing the death of his mother?

Anubis2347
11-14-2014, 11:08 AM
The only part of Flagg's death that bothered me was that it was at the hands of Mordred.

Flagg was an epic bad guy! Mordred was a punk.

Roland should have ahd the pleasure of finishing Flagg off.

mae
11-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Did you not wish Roland played more of a part being his life long adversary and causing the death of his mother?

No. I trusted the author on that.

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 11:16 AM

interesting...

mikeC
11-14-2014, 11:17 AM

He torn out his own eyes!!!! That was awesome! Roland is a good guy he would have just shot him or something. I like the gruesome eye gouging and being eaten compared to being shot. At least he was killed he escaped the other 2 stories.

CyberGhostface
11-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Because he's Flagg.

jhanic
11-14-2014, 12:36 PM
This discussion should be in the Cara Laughs forum about The Stand:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1350-The-Stand-Let-s-Discuss!-*SPOILERS*

John

Cabobard
11-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Um, what he said. :)

herbertwest
11-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Interview of Robin Furth in this university magazine

http://store.chi.ac.uk/includes/ImageServerup.asp?images=9122-8E5B-76FD-79E7-3047.jpg

>>> http://store.chi.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=1&deptid=39&catid=72&prodvarid=177

Gramarye Issue 6 e Book
issue 6
Description

Please note that the University's online store cannot send file attachments automatically. Your file will be e-mailed to you by Sussex Centre assistant Heather Robbins within 24 hours of your order.

This issue’s contents include:

‘The Case of the Ebony Horse’ (Part 2), Ruth B. Bottigheimer
‘The American Fantasy Tradition’, Tom Shippey
‘The Mythology of the Dark Tower Universe’, Robin Furth
‘Child Roland’, Steven O’Brien
‘Magic Mirrors and Shifting Skin: An Ecocritical Reading of Cornelia Funke’s Reckless’, Joanna Coleman
‘My Life with Fantasy Literature’, Colin Manlove
A review of Brian Attebery’s Stories about Stories: Fantasy and the Remaking of Myth, Tom Shippey
A review of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fall of Arthur, Dimitra Fimi
A review of Nancy Marie Brown’s Song of the Vikings: Snorri and the Making of Norse Myths, Jacqueline Simpson
A review of Jennifer Garlen and Anissa Graham’s The Wider Worlds of Jim Henson: Essays on His Work and Legacy Beyond The Muppet Show and Sesame Street, John Patrick Pazdziora
A review of Andrew Teverson’s Fairy Tale, Cristina Bacchilega
A review of John Lindow’s Trolls: An Unnatural History, Katherine Langrish

Pdf or .mobi file of the sixth issue of Gramarye. ISBN 9781907852312.