PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the first ever "Constant Reader Choice" Haven Fund Auction Item for 2015!!

Merlin1958
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Okay, folks. Always trying to be new and innovative, we the Haven Fund "Team" are offering a chance for you the "Constant Readers" to design your very own HF auction item for next year.

You vote of the book, decide who donates it and then vote on what artist(s) remarque it and what scene (to a degree and depending on the artist). Does it have a "Dolso" case? If so, who is the artist and what is the limitation phrase? Want a sculpture incorporated? I'll see what I can do for you. So far, and more may become available, we have the following artists to work with. Remember, some are "Concept" artists and only do specific drawings in specific books, but proposals can be made, however not guaranteed.

Alex McVey
Ned Dameron
Don Maitz
Glen Chadborn
Rachel Readman
Mark Edward Geyer
Erin Wells
Jill Bauman
Vincent Chong
Darek Kocurek (?)
Jae Lee (?)

As artists become available the list will be updated. So, speculate away, knock yourselves out and put me and my team to work!!! Suggestions are welcome. We will do our best to make it happen, if we can. I have a "staff" now so lets put them to work!!! This is your auction item. Tell me what it will be!!!! Hell, depending on the vote, artist(s) and circumstances, I may even be able to get, Mr. King to sign it!!!!

And of course, when it gets listed, BID!!!!

Be the proud owner of the one and only Haven Fund Auction Item, designed by the people ever sold!!!

Shannon
10-06-2014, 05:24 PM
RRCKS!

Or ... otherwise known as a Rachel Readman Crimson King Statue

Merlin1958
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
RRCKS!

Or ... otherwise known as a Rachel Readman Crimson King Statue

Now c'mon you have to be more creative than that. She sells them retail. We're talking a book with add on's here. It's a lot to ask for a sculpture of that magnitude as a straight up donation.

stroppygoblin
10-07-2014, 02:58 AM
I'd like to see something that could really be given some added value. I suggest a full set of (MINT!) PB 1sts of the Green Mile. Each remarqued by Mark and housed in a one off Dolso case with additional art on the case.

Oh and *anything* by Rachel will have me bidding on it!

Shannon, I think that should be RROOCKS!! (Rachel Readman's One & Only Crimson King Statue!!)

Ben Staad
10-07-2014, 04:05 AM
I had tried in the past and without success to have Rob Wood provide a remarque for Needful Things. I'm not sure if there are any remarques from him out there. I will send you what contact info I have.

webstar1000
10-07-2014, 04:31 AM
What about something off the wall... like a hand made smaller rug for our areas where we have our books... done or with the KA symbol?

Ben Staad
10-07-2014, 04:56 AM
I don't know about the rug but I do like the idea of creating something sitecentric and unique.

What about something off the wall... like a hand made smaller rug for our areas where we have our books... done or with the KA symbol?

mattgreenbean
10-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Whatever it is, can it glow in the dark?

stroppygoblin
10-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Whatever it is, can it glow in the dark?

maybe we can get some of these branded with the TDT.ORG logo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNcZWhlAl4

Merlin1958
10-07-2014, 05:44 PM

You know, you may have the kernel of something there. You're a "printer", yes? What about a poster with TDT.Org image on it and some verbiage indicating "Artists" and/or "The 2015 HF". I can send it around to all the contributing artists for maybe a small remarque (if you could leave some "white" margin or such), but definitely a signature. Does that sound intriguing? Can I get and "Amen" and a vote? If we do it fast, I may even be able to get it framed or reimburse, Jerome for framing it. Though it would be easier to ship in a tube, but I may be able to figure a way to have a "budget" for framing...... hmmm :cool:

The more "I" think about it, the more "I" like it, but it's you folks that really count. So wade in with your thoughts and suggestions. I realize it is very early for the HF, but to pull something like this off we will need time to ship it around, coordinate, etc.

webstar1000
10-08-2014, 04:14 AM

You know, you may have the kernel of something there. You're a "printer", yes? What about a poster with TDT.Org image on it and some verbiage indicating "Artists" and/or "The 2015 HF". I can send it around to all the contributing artists for maybe a small remarque (if you could leave some "white" margin or such), but definitely a signature. Does that sound intriguing? Can I get and "Amen" and a vote? If we do it fast, I may even be able to get it framed or reimburse, Jerome for framing it. Though it would be easier to ship in a tube, but I may be able to figure a way to have a "budget" for framing...... hmmm :cool:

The more "I" think about it, the more "I" like it, but it's you folks that really count. So wade in with your thoughts and suggestions. I realize it is very early for the HF, but to pull something like this off we will need time to ship it around, coordinate, etc.

How many we need to print Bill?

racerx45
10-08-2014, 08:33 AM
My suggestion would be to do something like Stu at Betts did with the ‘Salem’s Lot unbound page block. A custom leather bound book! I’m thinking either; The Stand Complete and Uncut or even the Dark Tower set! I know finding unbound page block is not likely so I was thinking of using paper backs.

Merlin1958
10-08-2014, 04:51 PM
My suggestion would be to do something like Stu at Betts did with the ‘Salem’s Lot unbound page block. A custom leather bound book! I’m thinking either; The Stand Complete and Uncut or even the Dark Tower set! I know finding unbound page block is not likely so I was thinking of using paper backs.

That's not a bad idea at all, but I wouldn't have the first idea on how to go about getting a PB bound like that. I'd be willing (within reason) to fund the effort and maybe even get some remarques in it.

Anyone? What do you folks think? Remember this YOUR item.

Edit: perhaps one of those Large (not large print) editions of the softcover DT books?

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 06:41 AM

That's not a bad idea at all, but I wouldn't have the first idea on how to go about getting a PB bound like that. I'd be willing (within reason) to fund the effort and maybe even get some remarques in it.

Anyone? What do you folks think? Remember this YOUR item.

Edit: perhaps one of those Large (not large print) editions of the softcover DT books?

This can be expensive... BUT we all know if done right how amazing it is. I am very interested in this... I think enough people here could get on board and you could take orders and contact various artists to contribute... I think there is something here. I think a DT theme would be the way to do... Gunslinger maybe? Not sure but depending on costs you could build in a profit to be donated to Haven... This could be a VERY COOL IDEA done right. I can offer to get pricing from my suppliers on this should we decide on a book to bind. I also think it is not condusive to do one... the cost would be silly high... but if enough members were into it... I think it could be a great thing. Maybe have the DT artists sign or doodle in it as a donation. These books could be had at a great price. Something to think about for sure...

Shannon
10-09-2014, 07:23 AM
We can't reprint books for mass sale without permission, and permission would be denied.

One book, a project book, shouldn't be a problem.

That being said, I say we bound the original seven Dark Tower books ... into one huge, beautiful edition.

Ben Staad
10-09-2014, 07:29 AM
It would be obscenely huge and impractical however it would also be pretty freaking cool. Maybe add some custom art pieces or collages of the book preceeding each section.

https://classicbookreader.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/giantbook.jpg

We can't reprint books for mass sale without permission, and permission would be denied.

That being said, I say we bound the original seven Dark Tower books ... into one huge, beautiful edition.

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Are we not allowed to re-bind books? I know you cannot re-print them... but binding I think is ok.. plus would be not be doing it with just our members? I would have to consult my legal department but it would be cool if we could do the DT... one massive wicked book! lol

Anubis2347
10-09-2014, 08:04 AM
I would be all over a massive one volume DT tome...

racerx45
10-09-2014, 08:09 AM
http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/files/2011/01/open.jpg

Anubis2347
10-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Ok, so maybe a two/three volume set.

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 08:37 AM
http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/files/2011/01/open.jpg

looooooooooool

racerx45
10-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Don’t get me wrong I think one book with all 7 would be really cool just a little difficult to handle. A two volume set would be possible say books 1-4 and 5-7?

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Don’t get me wrong I think one book with all 7 would be really cool just a little difficult to handle. A two volume set would be possible say books 1-4 and 5-7?

Maybe we just do the Gunslinger.... the one that started it all.... Maybe King would be on board as he knows about us... maybe he might sign it:)

Shannon
10-09-2014, 09:16 AM
What I meant was that we couldn't mass produce them and sell multiple copies to members, which is what I thought you were saying. If not, my bad. One huge book wouldn't be readable, you're right. I was just thinking out loud. To be readable it'd have to be two or three volumes, which is very possible.

racerx45
10-09-2014, 09:25 AM
What I was suggesting was to take a paper back edition remove the cover and add a custom hardback cover. As long as the contents of the book are not altered and no artwork etc. on the cover is added that violates any copyrights it should be fine.
It is no different than buying a V12 Mercedes giving it a custom paint job and reselling it. If you took the Mercedes emblems off and added Ford badges and sold it as a Ford then you would have a problem.

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 10:13 AM
This would be cool...

Randall Flagg
10-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I have the answer.

racerx45
10-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I have the answer.

:coo3l:

webstar1000
10-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I have the answer.

Well share it kind sir:)

stroppygoblin
10-09-2014, 02:20 PM
What about "The Plant"? I'd bid on a really nice bound copy of that.

Jon
10-09-2014, 09:47 PM
What about "The Plant"? I'd bid on a really nice bound copy of that.

Ditto.

webstar1000
10-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Great idea Simon... I have been talking to some contacts... the pricing I am getting is really high... I wonder if maybe one of the guys (Brian at CD) would be able to help out?

Randall Flagg
10-10-2014, 12:43 PM
I have the answer.

Well share it kind sir:)
If I share it, there would be no surprise...and someone else would steal my idea. Rest assured if it comes out as desired, it will be fabulous.
The Plant is too small, and would involve CR issues.

Randall Flagg
10-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Great idea Simon... I have been talking to some contacts... the pricing I am getting is really high... I wonder if maybe one of the guys (Brian at CD) would be able to help out?
I have contacts and the price is doable.

webstar1000
10-10-2014, 06:56 PM
:)

Merlin1958
10-11-2014, 01:23 PM
I have the answer.

It would appear that our, fearless leader has made an executive decision (and a very good one, wait until you see!!). However, We (I) are still open to ideas, contact info (for artists we have not utilized in the past) and innovative suggestions for a by the people, for the people, unique 2015 Haven Fund "Constant Reader" auction item.

Seriously, put on your thinking caps folks!!! Search those "contact" books!! This is for charity and I promise will never ever be used for personal gain!! Collection or otherwise. Remember, for any specialized item you folks may come up with "Time" is our enemy. That is why I started this thread so early. This is your member chance to be "Haven Fund" insider's!!!

While I am at it, I could use donations of the following trade 1/1's of the following books:

Rose Madder
Duma Key
The Green Mile (In any form, but only 1/1's)
The Stand (Original or Uncut)
The Wastelands
Everything's Eventual

As a caveat, I'll do my best to make sure you get to "Call" the drawing in any donated book, where at all possible. PM me in advance of donating books listed.

Also, I am still looking to get contact info/introductions to, Les Edwards, Jae Lee, Michael Whelan, Bernie Wrightson, Phil Hale, Glen Orbik and anyone else you can think of that I have not. I have some folks working on info or contacting some of these artists, but first come, first served. Remember, this is all for charity and shall remain as such.

The "Haven Fund Team" is getting an early start this year. Heck, we will have one heckuva total to reach next year, so we need as much help as we can get. Additionally, I am trying to inject "new" life into the array of artists, authors and publishers willing to contribute this year!!! I promise, no more "Haven Fund Whore"!!! From here on in, I am the "Secretary" and Facilitator for the "Haven Fund Team" and we are now "Legion"!!! LOL

Merlin1958
11-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Just an update, but TMIDITW has come up with the ultimate Constant Reader/Member Auction Item and we are toiling away to make it happen. Still open for ideas/concepts. We have been able to add the following artists to the team.

Mark Stutzman
Les Edwards
Alan Clark
Darek Kocurek

I emailed Jae Lee and have not heard back. Glen Orbik is willing, but in ill health at this time. He has tentatively agreed to help out next year though (Good Man!!). Feelers out to M. Whelan through a trusted contact. That's all I got right now. Help/suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.