PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Football Pick Contest-Superbowl Sunday

Randall Flagg
01-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Championship Game Winners:

New England
N.Y. Giants

Current Standings: Cumulative (This Week)

I'll HIGHLIGHT the potential winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd*, and Last Place). If you're not one of them, you know what you have to do!!!

Phoenix Ignition 173-93 (1-1)
Chasing Dragons 172-94 (1-1)
RUBE 170-96 (1-1)
Randall Flagg 168-98 (1-1)
Steve 168-98 (1-1)
NeedfulKings 166-100 (1-1 )
JohnBlaze 165-101 (1-1)
Rjeso 164-102 (1-1)
BedOfRoses 162-104 (1-1)
Spencer 154-112 (0-2 no picks)
Jon 141-125 (1-1 )
ARoseAStoneADoor 129-137 (0-2 )

And, our newcomers!!!

R of G 33-41 (1-1)

Will Dearborn 1-1 (1-1)

Still Servant 2-0 (2-0)

Storyslinger 0-2 (0-2)

*Super Bowl scores will be the tiebreakers at the end of the season

Check my math, please! Let me know if you have any concerns.

Congrats to Still Servant for joining, and having the best record of the week (2-0)

Contest Rules:

1. Just pick a winner for every game listed below.

2. All picks for the week need to be posted no later than ONE HOUR PRIOR to the start of the first game scheduled for THAT week. The first game this week is Sunday at 3:00 p.m. eastern. I will lock picks no later than Sunday around 2:00 p.m. Eastern time.

3. If you fail to get your picks in by the deadline above, you may be awarded the score of the lowest W/L record for that week minus one point. Should you miss more than two weeks throughout the season, you may be dropped from the contest or become ineligible for the last place prize.

4. In the event you cannot get here, send your picks to:

dtnfootball@hotmail.com

5. We will only accept new players through week 4.

Each week, I'll calculate and update the standings and post the next week's schedule by Tuesday.

The WINNER! At the conclusion of the season (including the playoffs and Super Bowl), I will personally award a prize to the top THREE finishers. Last year, there was something for the individual with the worst record as well. A difficult feat, in itself! That will likely happen again.

If you're interested in current team standings, Yahoo has an easy to read listing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/standings

Superbowl XLII. Sunday February 3, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
N.Y. Giants at New England 6:30 PM

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

Spencer
01-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Superbowl XLII. Sunday February 3, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
N.Y. Giants at New England 6:30 PM

I'll take the Giants 31-28

Steve
01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Patriots will finally shut the '72 Dolphins up Sunday.

I pick the Pats 28-20.

Wuducynn
01-21-2008, 10:49 AM

You okay buddy?? :rofl:

Randall Flagg
01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I think (but don't hold me to it), that the tie breaker will be total points scored. We will have to wait for Friday or Saturday for Needfulkings to return and clarify.
It also appears-if I am correct, that Rube is guaranteed 3rd place and Phoenix Ignition and Chasing Dragons will be first and second depending on whether or not they select different teams to win.

John Blaze
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
pats

Rjeso
01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
New England.

Jon
01-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Pats

Jon
01-22-2008, 02:05 AM

You okay buddy?? :rofl:

:lol: :lol:

Thank you, All Hail, for the genuine LOL...but not at you Spenc.

Spencer
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I think the Giants CAN win, but yeah, WILL is a different story. :lol:

jayson
01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
agree 100% spencer. i think they showed the first time they played that they can beat them. the key is going to be putting a ton of pressure on brady, which the giants have the personnel to accomplish. they also have a better run-stopping D than a lot of teams and maroney will have to be dealt with. as much as i hate the giants [as a lifelong jets fan] i will still be rooting for them bc i hate the pats and their low-class coach that much more.

Jon
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
I am most concerned with the Giant's ability to stop the Pat's running game. The Pats have such a passing game many teams focus on the pass and Falk burns them.

Spencer
01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Yeah, and he burns them with the screen. If they juat contain to the outside, instead of running up and thinking they can run him over since he's small, they'll be ok, but most teams have tried to just use brute force to flatten him, and ended up watching him sail right by.

Phoenix Ignition
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I gotta go with the Patriots on this one. I just hope it's a good game.

Chasing Dragons
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, hot damn!!!

I fucking hate the Patriots! And their tainted, cheating videographic ways!!!

But the Giants don't stand a chance.

But, PI has picked the Pats!

I feel like that damn Sicilian in Princess Bride!

Well, since I'm assured 2nd place, Giants!!! C'mon Eli, god damn it!!!

Nerak
01-24-2008, 06:40 AM
agree 100% spencer. i think they showed the first time they played that they can beat them. the key is going to be putting a ton of pressure on brady, which the giants have the personnel to accomplish. they also have a better run-stopping D than a lot of teams and maroney will have to be dealt with. as much as i hate the giants [as a lifelong jets fan] i will still be rooting for them bc i hate the pats and their low-class coach that much more.

:o :shoot: Dems fighting words in NE!!!!

Ruthful
01-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Well, the guy does dress like a down scale hobo, ca. The Bowery about thirty years ago.

You can't argue with that.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Well, the guy does dress like a down scale hobo, ca. The Bowery about thirty years ago.

So your point is that dress equates to class?

Phoenix Ignition
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
on the off-chance that the Giants win, that would place Chasing Dragons and I into a tie. Is there going to be a tie-breaker?

Míchéal
01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
i'm confused:orely:

Ruthful
01-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Nothing, just thought I'd take a cheap shot at my least favorite coach.

:P

Seriously though, do these standings include pre-season games. I'll be truthful here and admit I haven't been following this competition since it began.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Nothing, just thought I'd take a cheap shot at my least favorite coach.

:P

I know :lol: I was just bustin yer chops for it :D

Randall Flagg
01-24-2008, 03:06 PM
on the off-chance that the Giants win, that would place Chasing Dragons and I into a tie. Is there going to be a tie-breaker?
I am waiting till Neeedfullkings comes back Friday or Saturday for clarification, but I THINK predicting the total points scored will be the tie-breaker.

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
:o :shoot: Dems fighting words in NE!!!!

i can move to florida like i did, but you can't take the new yorker out of me. in jets' fan circles, the name belicheck is a dirty dirty word. it's not so much the so-called "cheating" bc i know all teams do that [though it was great to see the mighty bill get caught] as it is the way he took the jets coaching job when he knew damn well he was going to quit for the new england job. he could have just said thanks but no thanks. instead he quits via scribbled note and has a press conference to rub it in the jets faces. my family knew not to trust a parcells disciple, but unfortunately we just root for the jets, we don't own them.

edit: and while i don't care how he dresses, he dresses like a homeless person

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Aren't the Jets the team that lost the AFC championship game to the Broncos that last time they were anywhere near the playoffs?

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:42 PM
you think i don't know they suck? btw, that was not the last time they were in the playoffs. they were in:

- in 2002 as afc east champs - where they blew out the colts 41-0, then lost the next round to the raiders

- in 2004 they beat the chargers in the first round on a missed san diego field goal, only to lose the next week to pittsburgh on a missed field goal

the jets have a future if they get new ownership. otherwise, other teams should raid them for talent. jonathan vilma is a stud linebacker and kellen clemens will make somebody a great qb. i just hope both remain jets.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I was just bustin on ya bro :D Cuz yanno we don't know if the Broncos will EVER be good again. It's definitely hockey season in Colorado. Soon to be Rockies season.

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
oh i know, but i just wanted to point out that their recent history is not as bleak as it may be perceived to be. that's the heart-breaking part of it, they SHOULD contend, they often just don't execute. that and they stayed with pennington way way too long. you guys have a qb i wish we'd have gotten a chance to draft, but i like clemens' future.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Cutler RAWKS!!!!!!

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:55 PM
he does. barring injury, you guys should be set at qb for 10 yrs.

NeedfulKings
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Aloha!!!!!

Thanks for cranking this up, RF! I'll have to get my pick in when my sunburn cools off. :P

Yes, the tiebreaker IS the total final score and I really only need Phoenix Ignition and Chasing Dragons to do that. The Third and Last place winners are already determined.

Congrats to everyone!!!!

Edit: Any non-winners who tie (i.e. Steve and RF) will simply be listed alphabetically as usual.

Jon
01-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Aloha!!!!!

Edit: Any non-winners who tie (i.e. Steve and RF) will simply be listed alphabetically as usual.

Now will that be with the English alphabet???

Ruthful
01-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Penington is still a pretty good QB when he's not injured. I never understood the decision to bench him in favor of Kellen Clemens. Clemens has a stronger arm, but no accuracy. Would you rather have someone who throws hard-but never connects with a receiver-or someone who knows how to place passes precisely on shorter routes?

There were so many other things that went into the disastrous freefall this season, the most glaring being the absolutely idiotic decision not to sign Pete Kendall.

Mangenius?

Not so much.

TerribleT
01-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I always liked Pennington a lot. I love the way he has a lot of enthusiasm for the game. He pisses me off in fantasy football though, because the weeks I put him in he sucks, and the weeks I don't he's glorious.

RUBE
01-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I am waiting till Neeedfullkings comes back Friday or Saturday for clarification, but I THINK predicting the total points scored will be the tie-breaker.

I am pretty sure that is what Needfulkings said, so that means PI and CD need to pick scores.

Not that it matters but I am picking New England.

Randall Flagg
01-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Patriots

Total points 55

Jon
01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Patriots.

Total points 39

jayson
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Penington is still a pretty good QB when he's not injured. I never understood the decision to bench him in favor of Kellen Clemens. Clemens has a stronger arm, but no accuracy. Would you rather have someone who throws hard-but never connects with a receiver-or someone who knows how to place passes precisely on shorter routes?

There were so many other things that went into the disastrous freefall this season, the most glaring being the absolutely idiotic decision not to sign Pete Kendall.

Mangenius?

Not so much.

Clemens will develop the accuracy, perhaps when he has a line that can give him more than 2 secs in the pocket.

Pennington had a weak arm BEFORE the shoulder injury, now it's pathetic. If you can't throw the ball downfiled, a defense can zero in on the short shit and it's game over. as for accuracy, wobbly passes are not accurate. chad is a great competitor, but a liability.

let's give mangini a little more time than we gave pete carroll to prove himself. it's hard to tell in two seasons what his impact will be. again though, if ownership remains cheap, there is little hope for much to happen [not signing kendall is a great example, revis missing most of training camp is another]. if you want top talent, it costs money.

Ruthful
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
The Kendall decision made no sense. If you're going to nickel and dime personnel, why do you decide to start with the cornerstone of any team's offense?

Pete Carroll always struck me as a college coach. Mangini is probably better in the sense that he's able to discipline players, which is something Carroll is allergic to. Supposedly his job isn't in any danger, so I don't think he has much to worry about on that front.

Phoenix Ignition
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
well, since the points tie-breaker is between Chasing Dragons and I, I had better make this good. ...would be silly to come all this way and lose on a tie-breaker! hehe ..Best of luck, Chasing Dragons!!

Jon
01-30-2008, 02:24 AM
After a dull superbowl...

NOTE: THERE will be a new episode of House right after the superbowl...you don't even have to change channels!

NeedfulKings
01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm just posting this to keep track of who's picked so far. Nothing will be locked until Sunday. :) If you do change your pick from what I have below, PM me or post a new post. Thanks!

Spencer - Giants (59 points)
Steve - Pats (48 points)
JohnBlaze - Pats
Rjeso - New England
Jon - Pats (39 points)
Phoenix Ignition - Patriots (56 points)
Chasing Dragons - Giants
RUBE - New England
Randall Flagg - Patriots (55 points)

I'll keep updating this as more people pick. Feel free to choose points, but they really will only affect the top 2 players. I've PMd Chasing Dragons to remind him of the points issue.

:)

NeedfulKings
02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh, I'll Pick the Pats. Just for fun, I'll guess 38-33 (71 pts).

I've got the Beer, chips, etc. all ready to go! :D

ATG
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
New England
N.Y. Giants

/tosses coin.

BedOfRoses
02-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm picking New England. Total points: 62

NeedfulKings
02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
In hopes that he pops in before gametime:

CHASING DRAGONS, WE NEED A SCORE IN THE EVENT OF A TIE!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

jayson
02-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Giants
Total pts - 51

NeedfulKings
02-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Okay, here's the locks. Looks like CD didn't get back in for a point score, so even in the event of a tie, looks like PI shall be victorious! :)

Spencer - Giants (59 points)
Steve - Pats (48 points)
JohnBlaze - Pats
Rjeso - New England
Jon - Pats (39 points)
Phoenix Ignition - Patriots (56 points)
Chasing Dragons - Giants
RUBE - New England
Randall Flagg - Patriots (55 points)
NeedfulKings - Pats (71 pts)
BedOfRoses - New England. (62 points)
R of G - Giants (51 pts)

If it's any consolation, ARoseAStoneADoor picked the Chiefs. :lol:

Good luck everyone!

LadyHitchhiker
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I wanted Giants to win because Patriots have won so much lately...

NeedfulKings
02-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Quite a finish!!! I'll work up the final numbers, etc., and get them posted tonight or in the morning!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who played!!! :D

Jon
02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I hope there is betting on the Pro bowl!

Nerak
02-04-2008, 06:17 AM
What I want to know is....WHAT THE FUCK WAS WRONG WITH THE PATRIOTS!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Brady was out in the open the whole game...where was the coverage?? How many times did he get sacked? Freakin ridiculous!!!

jayson
02-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Brady was out in the open the whole game...where was the coverage?? How many times did he get sacked? Freakin ridiculous!!!

sacked 5 times, but pressured a lot more than that. the question is, if belichick is really a genius, where were the in-game adjustments we heard so much about? they never adjusted to the pressure. all i can say is HARDEE HAR HAR. so much for "best ever"

Nerak
02-04-2008, 08:12 AM
18 - 1 is NOTHING to sneeze at!

Giants did play a damn good game.

The Pats just should have played a dame better game!!!

Ruthful
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
If Belichick is such a genius, then why doesn't he realize you're only given four chances to get a first down?

jayson
02-04-2008, 09:31 AM
If Belichick is such a genius, then why doesn't he realize you're only given four chances to get a first down?

Precisely.

CRinVA
02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
18 - 1 is NOTHING to sneeze at!

Giants did play a damn good game.

The Pats just should have played a dame better game!!!

No, but the '72 Dolphins are smiling big time as their perfect season record stands!

Eli was awesome, especially when he scrambled out of that one sack and threw for a 30 yd gain!

:clap: Go giants! :clap:

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I thought it was a great game. The Giants were just a little better and made one or two fewer mistakes. Brady and co. will be back next year.

I'll post a final results thread, so this one might go bye-bye soon.

Chasing Dragons
02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Ahhh!!!!! I didn't get a chance to get in my goddamn score!!!

Well, I would have picked something in the 35-28 range for the G-Men anyways. So, I probably would have lost that. I haven't read anyone else's posts yet, but, good job to everyone this year! PI!!! You deserve to win, man, as you had a fucking consistent year picking winners! I just got lucky a few times! Ha!

And Needful Kings, an extra special thank you to you for keeping this going every week!!! I always have fun here!

Y'alls are the best!

Phoenix Ignition
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
You would have so had me if you had gotten your points in, Chasing Dragons! I picked like 55 or 56, which was waayy high. I feel bad that you didn't get your points in, as you would have easily had me beat. I do have to say that you have fought me tooth and nail and you really kept me on my toes as to who to pick and who not to pick at the end there!! Great job, and well played!! It's been a very fun season with everybody.

Many thanks again to Needful Kings again for running a great contest! Was a blast!

-K

NeedfulKings
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, guys! Everyone's a winner!

And you two were the top dawgs this year! Don't think for a minute that I'll let that happen again next year! :evil:

Good job and there's a new "Results" thread. I'll need your addy, CD. :)

Spencer
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

Or that staying on the field for one more damn second would have made people forget for a day or so about what an asshole he really is, but he couldn't go against his nature.

jayson
02-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Or that staying on the field for one more damn second would have made people forget for a day or so about what an asshole he really is, but he couldn't go against his nature.

maybe he wanted to be known as a sore loser instead of a cheater

Spencer
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=CRinVA;103310]
No, but the '72 Dolphins are smiling big time as their perfect season record stands!
[QUOTE]

Oh yes they are. :D

YouTube - Perfectville: Population 1

Matt
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I have settled all the bets for the Superbowl except one. Not sure which way that went.

We'll get it done as soon as Jerome is back.

Jon
02-06-2008, 12:15 AM
The early fourth down conversion attempt (Failed BTW) made me think Belichick is a bit conceited.

Jon
02-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know I have settled all the bets for the Superbowl except one. Not sure which way that went.

We'll get it done as soon as Jerome is back.

Will there be betting on the pro bowl?

Ruthful
02-06-2008, 01:44 AM
The line on the Pro Bowl right now is 3, with the over/under at 64.

I can't believe that football is going to be over for the next six months.

:(

CRinVA
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
The early fourth down conversion attempt (Failed BTW) made me think Belichick is a bit conceited.

Me thinks he is a bit of a cry baby the way he walked off the field before the last play was made! His post-game interview was pretty poor as well. I have seen many mnay more gracious losers in post-game interviews - big game interviews like the World Series, other Super Bowls, etc, ....

Ruthful
02-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Not acting like a complete douchebag would have been out of character.

http://emobillbelichick.ytmnd.com/