PDA

View Full Version : 11/22/63 series on Hulu

Pages : 1 [2]

Br!an
03-26-2016, 11:51 AM
I hated (see episode six) the sidekick. It's assumed that the presence of a sidekick helped present some of the internal dialogue.

I am a bibliophile and so my default is to hate the screen adaptations. I haven't been disappointed so far.

Heather19
03-26-2016, 12:14 PM
I am as well. I can do with some minor changes if necessary, and minor. But I hate huge changes from the book.

Heather19
03-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Just watched episode 6.
Wow, the sidekick is a bumbling idiot. So glad he's finally locked up and out of the picture. It was as if everything not working out was do to this stupid inept kid, when it was just personal conflicts that he had because he was leading a double life. Also what was up with the love interest with Marina?!
Needless to say, that was the worst episode yet. I hope they try to get back on track with the story for these last two episodes.

Merlin1958
03-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Interesting. I found the book to largely be about his life and not the assassination. That was just a plot device to get him into the past at that time. The ending really solidifes that the main story is him and Sadie. Or maybe I am just too sentimental and made those parts more important than they should have been.

I'd have to agree with this assessment sans the sentimentality. I thought the book was more about, Jake and his exploits in the past. Hence the "Love Story" was pivotal. IMHO

dnemec
03-26-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm actually liking the series, although I too am glad re: episode 6 and the removal of the idiot sidekick.

That being said, I purposefully haven't reread the book in awhile because I knew the series was being made. I figured I would just be annoyed if I was more familiar with the book, like I was with UTD.

Merlin1958
03-26-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm actually liking the series, although I too am glad re: episode 6 and the removal of the idiot sidekick.

That being said, I purposefully haven't reread the book in awhile because I knew the series was being made. I figured I would just be annoyed if I was more familiar with the book, like I was with UTD.

Good point. Anyone know when and if this will be made "public"? Or do you have to subscribe to "Hulu"???

mae
03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm sure there will be a blu-ray set released later.

dnemec
03-26-2016, 04:46 PM
You can get a free week trial at the end of the series, which I believe is referred to at some point on this thread. Or, if you know someone with a Limited Commercials plan with Hulu, you can get a free 2 week trial. Unfortunately, we paid extra for the No Commercials plan, so I can't help you guys out with that. :( But on the upside, no commercials!

Br!an
03-27-2016, 03:54 AM

I'm also glad that it's been a while since I read the book

Heather19
03-28-2016, 04:47 AM

I'm also glad that it's been a while since I read the book

I did the same as well. I almost reread it, but then I decided not to just for that reason. Having said that, I have been super annoyed by the big changes that I have noticed so far. If I had reread it then I can't even imagine how much of be hating it right now :lol:

Heather19
03-28-2016, 04:49 AM

Good point. Anyone know when and if this will be made "public"? Or do you have to subscribe to "Hulu"???

If you want to watch it, I would just wait until the last one airs (which will be next monday) and then sign up for the 1 week free trial. Watch them quick then cancel before you have to pay.

Johnny Alien
03-28-2016, 07:14 AM
I did a re-read right before watching and you guys made a wise choice. I have been fine with some changes but others are just awful. It really feels like it was made by someone that really didn't "get" the book at all. I will withhold final judgement until I see what they do with the ending. (Haven't watched todays episode yet)

cowboy_ed
03-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Man this is getting real bad. Still don't buy James Franco as a leading man. Sarah Gadon seems like all of her acting skill is used up doing the weird accent that there's nothing left to do but stumble around and act like a naive little girl in a pretty dress. Jake and Sadie felt like real people in the book... At the point in episode 7 when Jake got the gun out of the puzzle box and did that little look behind him my entire house burst out laughing over how hackneyed it was.

Really wish someone with a little more spirit got a chance to do a better job at this.

Johnny Alien
03-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Man this is getting real bad. Still don't buy James Franco as a leading man. Sarah Gadon seems like all of her acting skill is used up doing the weird accent that there's nothing left to do but stumble around and act like a naive little girl in a pretty dress. Jake and Sadie felt like real people in the book... At the point in episode 7 when Jake got the gun out of the puzzle box and did that little look behind him my entire house burst out laughing over how hackneyed it was.

Really wish someone with a little more spirit got a chance to do a better job at this.

At first I thought I was being really negative on the show so it's nice to hear that other people are thinking it's as bad as I do.

Merlin1958
03-29-2016, 04:25 PM

If you want to watch it, I would just wait until the last one airs (which will be next monday) and then sign up for the 1 week free trial. Watch them quick then cancel before you have to pay.

Solid plan, thank you for your insight, my dear!!

Lookwhoitis
03-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Read the Book for the first time after watching the first two episodes premiere at Sundance.

I caught ep three after starting the book, then had a multiweek break in which i finished the book and then watched 4-7 in one sitting last night.

I loved the book.

I like the series.

I feel like many folks are being way to hard on the adaptation. I also feel like SK fans are such a finicky and picky hard to please lot. Let's face it folks, most Stephen King adaptations to film or tv are a dog's breakfast. You just cannot translate effectively what king does best, putting you in the character shoes in the story due to universally felt connections due to turns of phrase and words. Creating pictures in your head with language.

I am satisfied to see an adaptation not be an abortion like Under the Dome.

I have been highly impressed with the look and tone of the piece. The period accuracy. The "feel" of being in those old days

I give a great horses laugh whenever i hear folks posit NOT watching an adaptation (and deciding on how it is themselves) due to reading others opinions on a message boards. That in itself is extremely entertaining.

Heather19
03-31-2016, 10:52 AM
I love the look of it also. It does seem like you're back in that time period. And I will give you that it's not an abomination like Under the Dome, however had I not read the book, would I enjoy the series? I'd probably think it was just average. I don't hate it, but it could be so much better. My one main gripe with the show is the addition of his bumbling idiot sidekick. I really enjoyed the duel life that he lead in the story, and that's all lost here. I get that a lot is in his head so they wanted to more easily express that to viewers by adding in this character, but maybe if they made him a competent person instead of this guy I wouldn't mind it as much. But they're making it out to seem like everything is going wrong because this stupid kid is messing everything up (can you tell I really hate his character? :lol: ). I still think they could have achieved him doing it all on his own though. I'm curious how they're going to end it. I do hope they stick with the ending from the book but we'll see.

Bev Vincent
04-05-2016, 03:08 AM
Stephen King wrote the poem Sadie recites in the final episode, for those of you keeping track of such things.

https://twitter.com/BridgetCarpen12/status/717002575548125184

herbertwest
04-05-2016, 03:27 AM
Thanks !

Johnny Alien
04-05-2016, 03:48 AM
The last episode was decent. They kept the ending which made me happy. That said there were way too many down parts for me to really to recommend it or ever watch again. The actor playing Harry out-acted almost everybody in the entire series and he got like 15 minutes of screen time total.

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Did anyone notice the guy on the bicycle that Jake bumps into at the beginning of this final episode? And then a certain word on a wall...I know I've been somewhat harsh on the romantic angle of this show, but I must admit that it was very good, very satisfying, and that it beats the beep out of Under the Dome (the show) anytime.

Bev Vincent
04-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Here's my overview: http://cemeterydanceonline.com/2016/04/stephen-king-news-from-the-dead-zone-189-11-22-63/

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Did anyone notice the guy on the bicycle that Jake bumps into at the beginning of this final episode? And then a certain word on a wall...I know I've been somewhat harsh on the romantic angle of this show, but I must admit that it was very good, very satisfying, and that it beats the beep out of Under the Dome (the show) anytime.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/112263.jpg

Heather19
04-05-2016, 05:13 PM
I just watched the finale episode. Enjoyed it, they ended it very well which is something I was worried about. As a whole what did I think of the series, it was ok. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. I loved the look and feel of the series. Plus I love James Franco so there's another plus. But I couldn't get over the addition of the sidekick. That really brought the whole thing down for me.

mtdman
04-06-2016, 11:53 PM
I finally finished watching the whole thing. It was definitely different from the book. I'm not sure still how I feel about the changes.

The bumbling sidekick didn't bother me that much. They compressed 3 years of the story into one, and they had to add someone into the story for him to give exposition and explain things. He really needed a 2nd person to pull off all that Oswald stuff and live his life in Jodie. They skipped a lot of stuff, and left a lot out. But I think in the end, overall, the theme of the movie was pretty close to what King got across in his book.

I think after seeing it, my biggest beef was with Franco as Jake. He was okay, but not who I imagined in my head. I did like the Sadie actress, I empathized with Jake losing her.

Johnny Alien
04-07-2016, 03:15 AM
Franco was bad. I like him generally but he was just bad.

webstar1000
04-07-2016, 03:52 AM
Who is the guy on the bike?

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-07-2016, 06:46 AM
One of the obstacles that the past throws in Jake's way - just a guy on a bike, basicallyt, but also a little joke/Easter Egg since the guy looks very much like Flagg.

mtdman
04-07-2016, 05:29 PM

He really doesn't act any more. He just acts like himself in every role.

Heather19
04-07-2016, 06:16 PM

Well at least he looks damn good while he's at it :D

dnemec
04-17-2016, 07:18 AM
I know some of you were looking for the series, so when I saw this on eBay, I thought I'd share.

11.22.63 ENTIRE SERIES (http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-22-63-RARE-2016-FYC-DVD-SET-COMPLETE-HULU-SERIES-JAMES-FRANCO-JOSH-DUHAMEL-/191849996455?hash=item2cab26a0a7:g:pY8AAOSw95lXEq-y)

Brian861
04-23-2016, 10:15 AM

I've always been a Franco fan myself, but now that you mention his acting style, I think you're right! lol. Oh well, I'll continue to watch his stuff. At least you'll know what to expect :D.

mtdman
04-23-2016, 05:01 PM

I've always been a Franco fan myself, but now that you mention his acting style, I think you're right! lol. Oh well, I'll continue to watch his stuff. At least you'll know what to expect :D.

Honestly, I think that happens to a lot of actors as they get old. Clooney, McConaughey, Nick Cage, etc etc.

Johnny Alien
04-24-2016, 02:34 AM
Robert Downey Jr. has built a massive empire out of acting just like himself.

Brian861
04-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Robert Downey Jr. has built a massive empire out of acting just like himself.

Another actor I totally dig along with McConaughey. Either I like actors who don't really "act" or I'm into folks who are just themselves lol. I think the latter is not a bad thing.

Bev Vincent
04-27-2016, 03:13 AM
The DVD/Blu-Ray release is set for August 9.

http://dailydead.com/11-22-63-blu-ray-dvd-and-digital-hd-release-details-cover-art/

Dan
04-27-2016, 04:00 AM
The DVD/Blu-Ray release is set for August 9.

http://dailydead.com/11-22-63-blu-ray-dvd-and-digital-hd-release-details-cover-art/

Thanks! I've been looking for the release. I've waiting to watch and haven't read any spoilers.

mtdman
04-28-2016, 07:54 PM
I gotta say, while the series was okay, the real plus was joining hulu. IMO I like that streaming service more than Netflix. I'm glad that this series brought me to Hulu.

Br!an
04-30-2016, 04:19 AM
I gotta say, while the series was okay, the real plus was joining hulu. IMO I like that streaming service more than Netflix. I'm glad that this series brought me to Hulu.

I signed up for it because of the series too. I think I'll keep subscribing though.

Between Hulu, Roku and an antenna for locals I might just cancel my Dish subscription.

dnemec
04-30-2016, 05:03 AM

I signed up for it because of the series too. I think I'll keep subscribing though.

Between Hulu, Roku and an antenna for locals I might just cancel my Dish subscription.

Cancel it! We got rid of Directv about 2 months ago when my bill went up AGAIN to $218. I had Amazon Prime already, but added Hulu and Netflix. Our bill is now around $25/month and we "splurged" for commercial free Hulu. Definitely worth it, plus more book money!!!

mae
04-30-2016, 06:06 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but Hulu has nothing on Netflix though. The selection is very thin and the player is way too wonky.

leghorn23
05-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Oh my god I can't wait!! :)

Heather19
05-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but Hulu has nothing on Netflix though. The selection is very thin and the player is way too wonky.

I've experienced the same with playing hulu on my tv. It'll randomly jump back or just stop all together. On my boyfriends tv however, it never did it. I've never had any problems streaming other stuff on my tv so I don't know what the problem was, but it sounds like it might be something with hulu if you've had problems too.

As for hulu vs netflix, I guess it depends what you want to watch. Hulu seems good for TV but their movie selection is absolutely horrible.

dnemec
05-02-2016, 10:35 AM

I've experienced the same with playing hulu on my tv. It'll randomly jump back or just stop all together. On my boyfriends tv however, it never did it. I've never had any problems streaming other stuff on my tv so I don't know what the problem was, but it sounds like it might be something with hulu if you've had problems too.

As for hulu vs netflix, I guess it depends what you want to watch. Hulu seems good for TV but their movie selection is absolutely horrible.

I have no issue with Hulu on my phone, but it runs like crap from my computer. Don't know why the difference, especially since both are connected using my wireless internet.

And I agree with Heather - Hulu is better for TV (my boyfriend likes all those FX series), but the movies suck.

mattgreenbean
05-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Pre-order is up now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYJTKRQ/

Jon
05-05-2016, 09:51 PM

I have no issue with Hulu on my phone, but it runs like crap from my computer. Don't know why the difference, especially since both are connected using my wireless internet.

And I agree with Heather - Hulu is better for TV (my boyfriend likes all those FX series), but the movies suck.

Interesting that the only issue is with member's HULU accounts and NOT their Boyfriend's accounts. Clearly, an indication that men are superior!!

That's right.. the efficacy of one's HULU account speaks for one's whole gender as well as an indicator of I.Q.

Heather19
05-06-2016, 04:10 AM
:lol:

Bev Vincent
05-09-2016, 08:26 AM
According to Steve:

If you missed 11/22/63 (you careless people know who you are), it's now available on iTunes.

Shannon
08-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Just finished the series with a 3.38/5 rating. Haven't read the book, can anyone point out some big changes/additions/subtractions/differences? Thanks.

Bev Vincent
08-23-2016, 03:35 AM
These are the big ones that come to mind:

In the book, the janitor's family lived in Derry. Jake goes there to save him as a little boy (meeting some familiar characters en route) and returns to the present to discover that the past had a way of self-correcting.
In the book, Jake doesn't go to Dallas for a long, long time. He writes a mystery novel along the way, or at least part of one.
In the book, King spends a lot more time with the students at the school in Jodie.
The character of Bill Turcotte is very minor in the book -- he doesn't go to Dallas with Jake.

Heather19
08-23-2016, 03:41 AM
The biggest difference for me was the sidekick that went with him to Dallas. Jake had to do everything in the book which I really liked. And the addition of this character in the show really ruined it for me. I've already ranted enough about him so you can read my previous posts if you like. I just didn't like that a lot of main points hinged on the ineptitude of that stupid kid.

Now you should go read the book. It really is phenomenal and extremely well written. I'd highly recommend it.