PDA

View Full Version : Spend My Money!!

stkmw02
09-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Part of my new job is obtaining new collection materials for the library. The tough part is, we don't have a print book budget. (I know, right?) So, I'm investing my own hard earned dough in print materials for middle and high school level readers.... and I need your help!!

I'm making a Scholastic order and the following items are on the "possibility" list. Anyone care to help sway me in the direction of purchasing or pitching these books?

The One by Kiera Cass (HC)
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith (pb)
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (pb)

*Smith's This is What Happy Looks Like is currently an interest to students
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter (pb)
Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen (HC)
The Kill Order by James Dashner (pb)

*The Maze Runner is hot right now.
Magisterium The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (HC)

*The other Magisterium book has never been checked out, but I have displayed it in view in hopes of gaining interest.
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (HC)
Wonder by R. K. Palacio (HC)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel by Ransom Riggs (HC)
Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnely (HC)
Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth (HC)
Middle School: Save Rafe! by James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (HC)

I'm also open to other "Must Have" new materials for the library. (Of course, the King section is already well cared for. ;) )

Shannon
09-16-2014, 06:29 AM
I haven't heard of any of those books except for the original Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, so I'm no help there, sorry.

What I CAN help with is ideas.

Idea One: Graphic Novels. I personally love them, and I think they'd be a big hit in the school system. With the HUGE superhero blockbuster movies, these are a no brainer. And not only superhero comics, but non-superhero as well: The Sandman series, V For Vendetta, From Hell, so on and so on. They also make graphic novel adaptions of classic literature.

Idea Two: The Classics. Every library should have all the classics. Now, what kid in school wants to actually read the classics? Very few. My idea would be to somehow connect today's super popular (with that age-level crowd) fiction to the classic work that inspired it/the main storyline. Twilight to Romeo and Juliet, Hunger Games to Lord of the Flies (maybe), and so on.

Idea Three: A school-wide anthology. Have a Call for Submissions, select the best authors and artists, make a book, sell it. Parents would EAT. THAT. SHIT. UP.

That's about all I have for right now.

EXPLORER
09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Here is something you might find interesting.
http://www.jrn.com/fox4now/news/Angel-in-the-library--275528091.html

ELazansky
09-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Part of my new job is obtaining new collection materials for the library. The tough part is, we don't have a print book budget. (I know, right?) So, I'm investing my own hard earned dough in print materials for middle and high school level readers.... and I need your help!!

I'm making a Scholastic order and the following items are on the "possibility" list. Anyone care to help sway me in the direction of purchasing or pitching these books?

The One by Kiera Cass (HC)
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith (pb)
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (pb)

*Smith's This is What Happy Looks Like is currently an interest to students
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter (pb)
Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen (HC)
The Kill Order by James Dashner (pb)

*The Maze Runner is hot right now.
Magisterium The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (HC)

*The other Magisterium book has never been checked out, but I have displayed it in view in hopes of gaining interest.
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (HC)
Wonder by R. K. Palacio (HC)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel by Ransom Riggs (HC)
Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnely (HC)
Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth (HC)
Middle School: Save Rafe! by James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (HC)

I'm also open to other "Must Have" new materials for the library. (Of course, the King section is already well cared for. ;) )

I've read all of the Percy Jackson and Divergent series, so those two books would be good to have if you have the others in the series. My kids both read a few of the Middle School series and enjoyed them as well. My daughter's favorites are:

The Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore (I am Number Four, etc.)
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (I read both of these as well - fabulous stories)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-18-2014, 09:17 AM
All I can say is that my stepson hates to read...and he loved the Percy Jackson series.

Jon
09-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Don't have a "Classics" section. Instead, slip "The Classics" into "The Adventure" or "The Romantic" sections as they may fit...with a most lose definition of course.