PDA

View Full Version : Hypnosis

R.F.
01-20-2008, 11:46 AM
As a certified hypnotist, I feel that I owe atleast part of my profession to Sai King and The Dark Tower... I'm just curious if anyone else here has any experience with hypnosis, either being the hypnotist or the hypnotized?

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Are you a stage hypnotist or more hypnotherapy type stuff?

R.F.
01-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Currently I am putting together a confidence building program for salesmen, but I hope to do stage shows eventually.

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 11:54 AM
That is so cool!

I've never been hypnotised, I think I'd be a little wary to be truthful. I've never seen a show live though, although last time I went to get a tattoo the guy that went in before me was a hypnotist and we were teasing the tattooist over whether he'd really paid him for the tatt :D

R.F.
01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
LOL! Yeh, unless said hypnotist just so happened to be Derren Brown I doubt he would have much luck getting away with not paying. Derren has some of the world's best misdirection skills, hands down.

Edit: heh, misread what you said.

As for being wary, a lot of people have some concerns. Putting these concerns to rest is something that has to be done before the hypnosis actually starts. The hypnotized doesn't actually give control to the hypnotist, all hypnosis is self hypnosis, so there isn't really anything to worry about.

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm more worried about the delving into your subconcious aspect, than the "control" issue ;)

R.F.
01-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Ah. Sometimes, what lies within can be as scary as the worst acid trip; but that isn't very often.

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I've done the latter and survived, so maybe I exorcised all my ghosts already :D

R.F.
01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Bad trips can happen to anybody, all it really takes is the wrong place, people, music, etc. Abreactions to hypnosis are rare and only happy to a handfull of people. Unless you are schizophrenic or something similar, or have serious past trauma, you shouldn't have any negative effects with hypnosis. Even if you have had traumatic events happen, hypnosis can be therapeutic and a good hypnotist would be very careful not to cause an abreaction.

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
My bad trip was definately bad circumstances rather than underlying trauma :D

I'm sure you're right...I'm still nervous though :P

R.F.
01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Heh, nothing really to be nervous about. It's not as if I can hypnotize you through your computer... Or is it?:evil:

Darkthoughts
01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
:lol:

Daghain
01-20-2008, 08:43 PM
People have tried to hypnotize me twice, but it didn't work.

I think I'm too much of a control freak. :lol:

Erin
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I would love to try to be hypnotized. I find it really interesting.

A guy I work with said he was hypnotized 5 years ago in order to stop smoking and he hasn't had a cigarette since.

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I've been considering it to help me ditch the Devil Grass ( tobacco ), do you think it is effective?

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM

A guy I work with said he was hypnotized 5 years ago in order to stop smoking and he hasn't had a cigarette since.

Whoops, guess I should have read the whole thread.

Nevermind.

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Smoking cessation is actually one of the primary ways hypnosis is utilized.

Also, anybody can be hypnotized. Some people have a little harder time than others, but there are ways to get around resistance, nerves, etc.

ATG
01-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Also, anybody can be hypnotized. Some people have a little harder time than others, but there are ways to get around resistance, nerves, etc.

Good.
Because it's expensive, and Jedi mind trick have never worked on me.

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Even in those cases of extreme trauma?

Erin
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Soooo....what exactly happens when you are hypnotized? I have no idea. I've actually never seen anyone hypnotized before. Is it like sleeping?

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
So, even though you can't hypnotize over the internet, (since all hypnosis is self hypnosis) can the techniques be taught over the internet?

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Brice, it really depends on the trauma. I'm also not exactly sure which part of my statement you were referring to. If you have a serious anxiety/depression disorder and you use tobacco to displace that energy, it could cause problems to stop smoking abruptly. As for if it is possible to hypnotize someone with extreme trauma: as long as no issues relating to the trauma are not brought up, and there is no age regression used, it shouldn't be a problem(though it really depends on the person, ya know?)

Erin, the best way I can describe what it is like is your body is so completely relaxed it is as if you were physically asleep. You , usually, remain completely alert and lucid mentally, and can respond if something happens around you that needs a response (whether that be the hypnotist talking to you, or a disaster etc).

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:19 PM
It is actually fairly easy to learn self hypnosis through various videos found on YouTube. Some of them suck, but a few are really great. I will look around and see if I can find a good one.

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Brice, it really depends on the trauma. I'm also not exactly sure which part of my statement you were referring to. If you have a serious anxiety/depression disorder and you use tobacco to displace that energy, it could cause problems to stop smoking abruptly. As for if it is possible to hypnotize someone with extreme trauma: as long as no issues relating to the trauma are not brought up, and there is no age regression used, it shouldn't be a problem(though it really depends on the person, ya know?)

Actually...I am getting VERY sleepy :lol:

and quoted too much. I only intended to quote the anybody can be hypnotized part.

ATG
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
So, even though you can't hypnotize over the internet, (since all hypnosis is self hypnosis) can the techniques be taught over the internet?

http://i32.tinypic.com/9iwd4i.jpg

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51EryR2SoAE

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
It is actually fairly easy to learn self hypnosis through various videos found on YouTube. Some of them suck, but a few are really great. I will look around and see if I can find a good one.

I'd appreciate that alot. This sort of thing has always fascinated me.

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM

http://i32.tinypic.com/9iwd4i.jpg

Nice optical illusion. I love them myself though a simple period is enough to induce a trance like state with me. :lol:

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51EryR2SoAE

Thank you! :D I'll check it out later when I can do so without waking the peoples here.

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
The video I posted is probably my favorite self hypnosis video on youtube, so try it out, see how it works.

Use headphones for added effect.

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
The video I posted is probably my favorite self hypnosis video on youtube, so try it out, see how it works.

Use headphones for added effect.

I haven't headphones handy, but I watched it without them and if that deep trance like state is all there is to it, well I've always been able to slip away inside myself since I was a kid with only my mind as stimulus. I may be missing something in not having the audio though. :unsure:

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Right, deep daydreaming is pretty much just unguided self hypnosis. Anyone that has ever "gotten lost" in a book or movie has also experienced hypnosis. Actually, pretty much everyone experiences hypnosis to some degree or another throughout our daily lives.

One thing to remember, it is possible that you can experience a much deeper level of trance with an actual hypnotist, rather than a video.

Brice
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Right, deep daydreaming is pretty much just unguided self hypnosis. Anyone that has ever "gotten lost" in a book or movie has also experienced hypnosis. Actually, pretty much everyone experiences hypnosis to some degree or another throughout our daily lives.

One thing to remember, it is possible that you can experience a much deeper level of trance with an actual hypnotist, rather than a video.

I'm sure a hypnotist might be able to bring me deeper too, but I can go much deeper without the video too. I don't know if I'm really susceptible to it or what.

R.F.
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Roughly ten percent of the population are what's called "somnambulists," some would say they "sleep eager." ;D

Erin
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Erin, the best way I can describe what it is like is your body is so completely relaxed it is as if you were physically asleep. You , usually, remain completely alert and lucid mentally, and can respond if something happens around you that needs a response (whether that be the hypnotist talking to you, or a disaster etc).

In Chuck Palahniuk's most recent novel, Rant, he talks about the phenomenon (I can't remember off the top of my head what he refers to it as) that occurs when you are driving a route you often drive (like to work or school for example) and when you arrive at your destination, you have no recollection of certain parts of the drive, although you just experienced them. This happens to me quite often. I imagine this is a form of hypnosis based on your above quotes?

R.F.
01-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Indeed, and it is called "highway hypnosis"

Daghain
01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Or "driver's stare". :D

I do it daily. :lol:

Erin
01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Ahh yea, I've heard both those terms.

It's pretty creepy isn't it? The fact that you are the sole person in control of a several ton, moving chunk of metal and can completely zone out while controlling it? Eep!

TerribleT
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Whoops, guess I should have read the whole thread.

Nevermind.

My mom successfully quit smoking this way.

R.F.
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Ahh yea, I've heard both those terms.

It's pretty creepy isn't it? The fact that you are the sole person in control of a several ton, moving chunk of metal and can completely zone out while controlling it? Eep!

Luckily most of us drive our vehicles so often it has become a nearly unconcious action. Ever hear about people who have driven while sleepwalking? Same theory behind that as the highway hypnosis, kinda. You are driving, even driving well enough other people can't tell you are "zoned", but you don't even have to think about it.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I hypnotized a dude in my chorous class one day by accident... unfortunately the bell rang and snapped him out of it, but I would have loved to get him to stand on his head or spell out the word m-o-o-n incessantly.