PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Get Rid Of Some TV Shows

Shannon
08-31-2014, 10:06 PM
I download a lot of TV. A LOT. The shows I LOVE LOVE LOVE I tend to download and watch that night. Other shows I might let the entire season build up and then binge watch them all. Well, there are seven TV shows I've had sitting in my folder for a while, and I've decided to get rid of four of them. Cut the fat so to speak.

If you've seen any of these shows/seasons, please let me know if it's worth spending my time on. I want ABOVE AVERAGE SHOWS only. If it's just "Eh" then I'll pass. There's too many other things to watch.

So, what do you think about these? No spoilers, just your opinion on whether I should delete them or keep them.

Believe: Season 1
IMDb Rating: 7.3

Broadchurch: Season 1
IMDb Rating: 8.4
Note: I love David Tennant.

Defiance: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 7.0
Note: I gave the first season a 4/5 rating.

Orphan Black: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 8.5

Rectify: Season 2

The Following: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 7.6
Note: I have the first season a 4/5 rating.

The Last Ship: Season 1

skyofcrack
09-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Definitely watch The Following and also The Last Ship.

Cook
09-01-2014, 06:33 AM
I download a lot of TV. A LOT. The shows I LOVE LOVE LOVE I tend to download and watch that night. Other shows I might let the entire season build up and then binge watch them all. Well, there are seven TV shows I've had sitting in my folder for a while, and I've decided to get rid of four of them. Cut the fat so to speak.

If you've seen any of these shows/seasons, please let me know if it's worth spending my time on. I want ABOVE AVERAGE SHOWS only. If it's just "Eh" then I'll pass. There's too many other things to watch.

So, what do you think about these? No spoilers, just your opinion on whether I should delete them or keep them.

Believe: Season 1

Defiance: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 7.0

Orphan Black: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 8.5

Rectify: Season 2

The Following: Season 2
IMDb Rating: 7.6
Note: I have the first season a 4/5 rating.

The Last Ship: Season 1

I would delete them all & start collecting SK books again.......:evil:
JK, I personally enjoyed Orphan Black

mae
09-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Definitely get rid of Believe. Utter nonsense.

Ricky
09-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Believe was one of those shows that I saved for when I didn't have anything else to watch. It was a fun show, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (especially since it wasn't picked up for Season 2).

Season 2 of The Following, on the other hand, was amazing. If you liked Season 1, definitely watch Season 2. It was a huge improvement.

Ben Staad
09-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Interesting. I started watching season 1 on NF and it didn't grab me. Maybe I will wrap up 1 and check out 2.

Believe was one of those shows that I saved for when I didn't have anything else to watch. It was a fun show, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (especially since it wasn't picked up for Season 2).

Season 2 of The Following, on the other hand, was amazing. If you liked Season 1, definitely watch Season 2. It was a huge improvement.

ICry4Oy
09-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Pretty much agree with everyone else. The Following and The Last Ship were both good and both are coming back for another season. Believe was just okay and it ain't coming back - after we heard it was cancelled we didn't even watch the last two episodes.

mattgreenbean
09-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Hated Believe
Orphan black is good
Love the following
don't know about the rest.

Mattrick
09-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Do what I do. Don't watch television. Any shows that are good will still be good in five years when they are done and you can run through the entire thing. Life is too short to waste on shitty television.

Shannon
09-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Shitty television is easy enough, I just stop watching. It's the average shows that kill me. Will it get better? Will it stay average?

Jimimck
09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I do the same thing Shannon, in regard to saving up shows to watch in one hit, unless it is an absolute MUST watch when it is on each week. That being said I haven't even heard of any of the shows on your list...

So read in to that as you will :-)

Mattrick
09-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Life's too short for Average too. Between books, games, sports, movies, I have no time for that. Shows that last I'll watch eventually, like Mad Men and soon Breaking Bad. Walking Dead is the last new show I've watched while airing since Dexter. Before that it was South Park, I think lol. Breaking Bad is my next show then probably True Detective after.

Joe315
09-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Of those on your list I have only watched Believe and The Following. I liked Believe and enjoyed the first season of The Following but stopped watching a couple episodes into the second. It just got fucking ridiculous, imho.

fernandito
09-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Breaking Bad is my next show then probably True Detective after.

Yes.

Merlin1958
09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Rectify is pretty darn good too.

Mattrick
09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Shannon, you best be watching Mad Men if you're debating over these shows lol

Shannon
09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I watched the first two seasons of Mad Men, it didn't do it for me. At any given time I'm watching thirty to forty TV shows. For example, this is what I have to look forward to this Autumn and/or the near future:

2 Broke Girls: Season 4 - starts oct 27
About A Boy: Season 2 - starts oct 14
Agents Of SHIELD: Season 2 - starts sep 23
American Horror Story: Season 4 (Freakshow) - starts oct 8
Ascension: Season 1 - starts nov 24
Bad Judge: Season 1 - starts oct 2
Boardwalk Empire: Season 5 - starts sep 7
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Season 2 - starts sep 28
Constantine: Season 1 - starts oct 24
Dancing With The Stars: Season 19 - starts sep 15
Family Guy: Season 13 - starts sep 28
Galavant: Season 1 - starts unknown
Gotham: Season 1 - starts sep 22
Gracepoint - 10 episodes - starts oct 2
Grey's Anatomy: Season 11 - starts sep 25
Hell's Kitchen (2005): Season 13 - starts sep 10
Homeland: Season 4 - starts oct 5
How To Get Away With Murder: Season 1 - starts sep 25
Kingdom: Season 1 - starts oct 8
Marry Me: Season 1 - starts oct 14
Mixed Signals: Season 1 - starts unknown
Nashville: Season 3 - starts sep 24
New Girl: Season 4 - starts sep 16
Proof: Season 1 - starts unknown
Resurrection: Season 2 - starts sep 28
Scorpion: Season 1 - starts sep 22
Secrets And Lies: Season 1 - starts unknown
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 7 - starts sep 9
South Park: Season 18 - starts sep 24
Stalker: Season 1 - starts oct 1
Survivor: Season 29 - starts sep 24
The 100: Season 2 - starts oct 22
The Affair: Season 1 - starts oct 12
The Chair: Season 1 - starts sep 6
The Voice: Season 7 - starts sep 22
The Walking Dead: Season 5 - starts oct 12
Transporter: Season 1 - starts unknown
Us & Them: Season 1 - starts unknown
Wayward Pines: Season 1 - starts unknown

Mattrick
09-02-2014, 05:45 PM
That's more TV shows than I've watched my whole life.

Merlin1958
09-02-2014, 05:53 PM
I watched the first two seasons of Mad Men, it didn't do it for me. At any given time I'm watching thirty to forty TV shows. For example, this is what I have to look forward to this Autumn and/or the near future:

2 Broke Girls: Season 4 - starts oct 27
About A Boy: Season 2 - starts oct 14
Agents Of SHIELD: Season 2 - starts sep 23
Ascension: Season 1 - starts nov 24
Bad Judge: Season 1 - starts oct 2
Constantine: Season 1 - starts oct 24
Dancing With The Stars: Season 19 - starts sep 15
Galavant: Season 1 - starts unknown
Gotham: Season 1 - starts sep 22
Gracepoint - 10 episodes - starts oct 2
Grey's Anatomy: Season 11 - starts sep 25
How To Get Away With Murder: Season 1 - starts sep 25
Kingdom: Season 1 - starts oct 8
Marry Me: Season 1 - starts oct 14
Mixed Signals: Season 1 - starts unknown
Nashville: Season 3 - starts sep 24
New Girl: Season 4 - starts sep 16
Proof: Season 1 - starts unknown
Resurrection: Season 2 - starts sep 28
Scorpion: Season 1 - starts sep 22
Secrets And Lies: Season 1 - starts unknown
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 7 - starts sep 9
Stalker: Season 1 - starts oct 1
Survivor: Season 29 - starts sep 24
The 100: Season 2 - starts oct 22
The Affair: Season 1 - starts oct 12
The Chair: Season 1 - starts sep 6
The Voice: Season 7 - starts sep 22
Transporter: Season 1 - starts unknown
Us & Them: Season 1 - starts unknown
Wayward Pines: Season 1 - starts unknown

Dude,

So sorry to say, but since you no longer have a wife I would say about 50% of those shows need to go unless, you are some "Metrosexual" or something. LOL Lose the Sit-Coms and reality shows.!!!

Shannon
09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Eh, I like what I like. This season of Big Brother, for example, is fantastic.

Ricky
09-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I think the only new shows I'm looking forward to are Gotham and Stalker.

Shannon
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
No love for Constantine or Kingdom?

Jimimck
09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Well I agree with some of yours....

stroppygoblin
09-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Nobody responded on Broadchurch so I will.
WELL worth the time IMHO - Tennant is a great actor and really gets to show his skills in this.

stkmw02
09-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I'll be watching Broadchurch because I crave more Tennant in my life... Shannon may not admit it, but I bet that's the same reason the show is on his list.

Shannon
09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
I did admit it, lol.

OK, decision time! I've already started watching Broadchurch. Three episodes in, very heartbreaking show.

I'm getting rid of Believe, Rectify, and Orphan Black.

I'm keeping Defiance, The Following, and The Last Ship.

Still Servant
09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I did admit it, lol.

OK, decision time! I've already started watching Broadchurch. Three episodes in, very heartbreaking show.

You'd be insane to get rid of Orphan Black. You will be disappointed in The Last Ship. I will almost guarantee it. It's completely ordinary. Here is my blog on The Last Ship if you're interested. No spoilers.

http://popculturedmoviemi.wix.com/popculturedmoviemike#!The-Last-Ship/cdp6/43463231-8BF4-4856-964C-A01F645EB89A

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I probably have you beat in the department of how many shows I watch.

Lookwhoitis
09-05-2014, 03:53 PM
another yes vote for Orphan Black here. If only to ogle Tatiana Maslany in all of her various avatars

Shannon
09-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Alright, undeleting Orphan Black ... yay it's still there.

Merlin1958
09-05-2014, 06:47 PM
I did admit it, lol.

You'd be insane to get rid of Orphan Black. You will be disappointed in The Last Ship. I will almost guarantee it. It's completely ordinary. Here is my blog on The Last Ship if you're interested. No spoilers.

http://popculturedmoviemi.wix.com/popculturedmoviemike#!The-Last-Ship/cdp6/43463231-8BF4-4856-964C-A01F645EB89A

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I probably have you beat in the department of how many shows I watch.

Hmmm, now that you mention it let's see...

SOA
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
True Blood
The Following
The Blacklist
The Bridge
Law & Order:SVU
Rectify
Breaking Bad (Done)
The Stain
True Detective
Justified
The Leftovers (Season Finale Sunday)
Tyrant
Dracula
Under the Dome (This one is on the "Bubble")
Crisis
Chicago Fire
The League
Hannibal

Man, I need another hobby!!! LOL

Shannon
09-05-2014, 06:51 PM
LEEEFFFTTTTOOOVVEERSSSSSSSS FINNNALEEEEE!!!!

I'm excited, lol. What a great show.

Merlin1958
09-05-2014, 07:22 PM
LEEEFFFTTTTOOOVVEERSSSSSSSS FINNNALEEEEE!!!!

I'm excited, lol. What a great show.

Yeah, I'm hoping something significant will happen to tide us over to the next season.

Mattrick
09-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Mad Men
Walking Dead
South Park

Done.

Shannon
09-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Mattrick, your signature has a typo.

The end. :)

pathoftheturtle
09-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Do what I do. Don't watch television. Any shows that are good will still be good in five years when they are done and you can run through the entire thing. Life is too short to waste on shitty television.
If everybody did that, how would any of it be produced? You should probably be thanking the folks who tried the shitty shows and supported the good ones, watching the original shitty commercials!

Mattrick
09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
You seem to underestimate the care I have in television being produced. It's not as if TV dramas are television's bread and butter anyways. When Mad Men, one of the best shows ever made, is lucky to pull in over 2 million an episode while an awful show like Big Bang Theory pulls in 15-20 million an episode, while the greatness of satirical comedy that is South Park now pullsin around 2-3 million viewers a week, that just proves to me that if I want great televisions I have to not watch it. Generally speaking when it comes to television if it pulls in huge numbers, it sucks. Even what a lot of people consider to be the greatest show ever made, Breaking Bad, pulled in less than 2 million per episode up until the final season, more specifically the second half of the final season when it varied from 4.5 - 10.5 million. Yep, bad TV gets the ratings, good TV gets shafted with the ratings. Besides, there is always Netflix and online services for TV shows to be produced. Fuck television, it sucks.

As for commercials, when watching shows like Sopranos, Dexter, Six Feet Under, In Treatment and Eastbound on down that are produced commercial free....that just simply isn't an issue.

Shannon
09-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I think you're forgetting that everyone likes different things. You know, opinions and such.

Mattrick
09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
And according to ratings a lot of people like some bad television, so they keep making bad television because it makes a lot of money so I stop watching television and rely on DVD's and netflix to watch it. Keeps out the riff-raff that way. If people want to watch a one trick pony like Big Bang, all the power to them. I'll just watch Mad Men instead and not experience what feels like a power drill slowly working it's way into my frontal lobe.

Ricky
09-06-2014, 03:10 PM
I think you're forgetting that everyone likes different things. You know, opinions and such.

This.

Mattrick
09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

It seems by saying something like this you forget that someone like me can like different things from others and have opinions and such. Kind of instant hypocrisy there lol. It also insinuates that I've forgotten bad TV exists when that is all that is on TV when I turn it on. Was at my Uncle a month back, looking through his satellite...600+ television channels; nothing on. I'll pass on television and leave it up to the rest of the world to decide what stays and what goes.

Merlin1958
09-06-2014, 06:21 PM
And according to ratings a lot of people like some bad television, so they keep making bad television because it makes a lot of money so I stop watching television and rely on DVD's and netflix to watch it. Keeps out the riff-raff that way. If people want to watch a one trick pony like Big Bang, all the power to them. I'll just watch Mad Men instead and not experience what feels like a power drill slowly working it's way into my frontal lobe.

You know, Matts the power drill to your frontal lobe may solve a lot of your problems!! LOL J/K

pathoftheturtle
09-06-2014, 07:38 PM
... As for commercials, when watching shows like Sopranos, Dexter, Six Feet Under, In Treatment and Eastbound on down that are produced commercial free....that just simply isn't an issue.That's taking me too literally. There's still a necessary sacrifice; the cable bill. I said you should "probably" thank commercial watchers because I'm not closed minded to positive ideas like pay tv becoming a replacement for the current model. However, you still don't need to be so negative to advocate for that, as far as I can see.

stkmw02
09-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I totally missed that David Tennant note!!! :lol:

fernandito
09-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Generally speaking when it comes to television if it pulls in huge numbers, it sucks. Even what a lot of people consider to be the greatest show ever made, Breaking Bad, pulled in less than 2 million per episode up until the final season, more specifically the second half of the final season when it varied from 4.5 - 10.5 million. Yep, bad TV gets the ratings, good TV gets shafted with the ratings. Besides, there is always Netflix and online services for TV shows to be produced. Fuck television, it sucks.

Yup, pretty much this.

Mattrick
09-08-2014, 05:30 PM

You know, Matts the power drill to your frontal lobe may solve a lot of your problems!! LOL J/K

My skull is evolutionary perfection, hence, the phrasing 'slowly working' (if at all). It'll take a planet cracker to crack this dome. Dead Space fans get that one, BYAH. The hits the dead I've taken in my life and have never had a concussion, cause I rule like that.

That's taking me too literally. There's still a necessary sacrifice; the cable bill. I said you should "probably" thank commercial watchers because I'm not closed minded to positive ideas like pay tv becoming a replacement for the current model. However, you still don't need to be so negative to advocate for that, as far as I can see

Sacrifice isn't a good word. You're not giving anything up, you're paying for goods and services. You pay a few extra bucks a month to get some high quality programming that is uncensored and commercial free...ain't much of a sacrifice. If I watched more TV and I could pay the cable company extra money to not get any commercial at all, that would be awesome. Commercials, except the odd ones that make me laugh, are pointless to me. Most of it is for stuff I don't need, don't want, don't even care about. I don't even want to watch almost every TV show and movie advertised anymore. The good ones never get advertised, unless it's oscar season. I'm amazed I've actually seen about ten ads for Boyhood on TV and I never watch TV lol. It's 8-18 minutes of my life that can be better spent doing other things. That's why I like a two television set up, I can have sports on one, play xbox on the other or have sports muted and watch something else too.

Still Servant
09-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't call Big Bang Theory bad TV. I know you hate it, but it's not as terrible as you seem to think it is. It's certainly not the funniest show on TV and it probably doesn't warrant the ratings it gets.

I will say there are a few exceptions. Modern Family gets good ratings and I think it's pretty good.

As far as the Leftovers, I haven't watched the finale yet so I'm not sure if anything significant happened or not. I'm not holding my breath because the creators of the show have stated they aren't going to reveal what happened to all the people. They said the story isn't really about that.

Mattrick
09-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Modern Family is alright. I've only seen a few episodes so it's tough for me to judge. Everytime I see ads for a new sitcom, like Blackish, I was to tear my eyeballs out and feed them to my cats. Parks and Recreation fell into that The Office/30 Rock 'everyone else seems to love it' vein but I just couldn't get into it either. Community is the only new sitcom since Arrested Development I really like. As for Big Bang, it's not as bad as Two and a Half Men, I'll give it that..but I still hate it more because of Two and a Half Men lol. I would like to say I haven't seen so many talentless people get a million per 22 minute episode since Friends but there was at least some talent on that show lol.

pathoftheturtle
09-12-2014, 05:58 AM
The bill for full cable isn't much of a sacrifice? It is when you work like I do. I could take a day off -- that'd be nice!

Mattrick
09-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Cable bill is general. You pay only a few bucks for HBO. Youre not paying your entire cable bill just to watch Game of Thrones unless that is the only show you watch. My TV is on the same channel 24/7, I have the most basic of cable, thirty bucks lol. If it wasn't for baseball gamee I wouldn't carr if I never got cable back.