PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Hunchback Jack
07-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Generally, I *am* excited about Phase 4. It's a good mix of bringing back what were (largely) supporting characters as leads, of introducing new characters, and of a good movie/miniseries balance to help kick off Disney+.

I think it might have had more weight if GotG3 hadn't been delayed - I suspect that led to a few other projects being pushed out as well - but five movies and five new series is certainly enough to be getting on with. And I agree that Marvel have earned enough trust that we can afford to be optimistic.

(My comment about the politicization of casting in film for box-office gain was not a comment about Phase 4, specifically.)

Earl of Popkin
07-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Florence Pugh in Black Widow. Future Crimes unit should already have a warrant out for her bc she’s going to steal Phase 4

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 06:23 AM
Is Blade part of "Phase 4" or is it "Phase 5" I heard some where that it's Phase 5 but couldn't find any confirmation. Either way we're definitely missing some key movies that are supposed to be coming as well on this new road map. Guardians 3, Spider-Man 3, Ant-man 3, Black Panther 2, and Captain Marvel 2. I'm actually really surprised we aren't getting the Doctor Strange sequel in 2020 and maybe Black Panther 2 in 2021. Lately they've been putting 3 years between the sequels (except Spider-Man).

Outside of the MCU proper I wonder if we'll get any announcements for the Fox titles? There's still an unreleased movie from Fox and I was sure another Deadpool movie was in the works, and Kevin Fiege said they had no plans to ditch Deadpool.

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Is Blade part of "Phase 4" or is it "Phase 5" I heard some where that it's Phase 5 but couldn't find any confirmation. Either way we're definitely missing some key movies that are supposed to be coming as well on this new road map. Guardians 3, Spider-Man 3, Ant-man 3, Black Panther 2, and Captain Marvel 2. I'm actually really surprised we aren't getting the Doctor Strange sequel in 2020 and maybe Black Panther 2 in 2021. Lately they've been putting 3 years between the sequels (except Spider-Man).

Outside of the MCU proper I wonder if we'll get any announcements for the Fox titles? There's still an unreleased movie from Fox and I was sure another Deadpool movie was in the works, and Kevin Fiege said they had no plans to ditch Deadpool.

Blade is 5. They did state that.

mae
07-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Blade is Phase 5. What was announced this weekend is all of Phase 4, according to Feige. It's only two years, five movies and five mini-series. Will seed the plot for Phase 5 which I'm guessing will be the major overall Avengers event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyNRW7ZlSk

Other than New Mutants, there are no currently schedule Fox Marvel movies. I would imagine any new titles like Deadpool 3 would actually be part of the MCU.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure what they'll do with Deadpool 3. Given Deadpool's R rating I really wouldn't be surprised if they left it as kinda it's own thing with sorta vague connections to the MCU and X-Men but nothing firm and really only a one way connection. Kinda the way Marvel handled Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows. They were in the MCU as far as the shows where concerned but the movies ignored them.

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure what they'll do with Deadpool 3. Given Deadpool's R rating I really wouldn't be surprised if they left it as kinda it's own thing with sorta vague connections to the MCU and X-Men but nothing firm and really only a one way connection. Kinda the way Marvel handled Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows. They were in the MCU as far as the shows where concerned but the movies ignored them.

I tend to agree with this. I think some Marvel properties could stay outside - or at least, only tenuously connected - to the MCU, and it would actually benefit the storytelling.

Although I wouldn't have a non-MCU movie about an MCU character, like D.C. Appears to be doing with Joker. That's just baffling.

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Get prepared for "Disney After Dark". They love to make money.... and will not throw away these properties. We will see them more.. just under a sub banner of sorts.

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Get prepared for "Disney After Dark". They love to make money.... and will not throw away these properties. We will see them more.. just under a sub banner of sorts.

Not suggesting they would throw them away, just not have their narrative be an integral part of the MCU narrative.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 07:56 AM

I tend to agree with this. I think some Marvel properties could stay outside - or at least, only tenuously connected - to the MCU, and it would actually benefit the storytelling.

Although I wouldn't have a non-MCU movie about an MCU character, like D.C. Appears to be doing with Joker. That's just baffling.

Ehh I kinda like what DC is doing with Joker. I'd actually love to see Marvel do some stand alone stories. It'd be kinda refreshing to have some stuff just be able to stand on it's own without having to be tied into a greater overall story. This is why I'm probably the most excited about the Blade movie, as I think it'll be the closest thing we'll get to that in the MCU.

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Ehh I kinda like what DC is doing with Joker. I'd actually love to see Marvel do some stand alone stories. It'd be kinda refreshing to have some stuff just be able to stand on it's own without having to be tied into a greater overall story. This is why I'm probably the most excited about the Blade movie, as I think it'll be the closest thing we'll get to that in the MCU.

Really? See I think Blade will be connected 100%.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 09:02 AM

Maybe, it's so hard to say Blade has never really been a "I hang out with the normal super heroes, hero" if you know what I mean. I feel like he'll be "in unvierse" but somehow I don't expect him to be a big team up character. He's also generally a lot darker / grittier of a character than anything they've done so far. But we'll see this is all really new ground here, as it seems like they're trying to do something different for what's next.

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 09:50 AM

My problem with what DC are doing is not that they have a standalone Joker story, but that they have a standalone Joker story completely unconnected with the DCEU story line, using a different actor in the role. I mean, I guess there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it does tend to blur the line between what is part of a continuity and what isn't.

I'm all for Marvel doing standalone films, or even series (like X-Men or Deadpool) which are unconnected from the core MCU narrative. But having multiple continuities share characters gets a bit messy.

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 09:56 AM

My problem with what DC are doing is not that they have a standalone Joker story, but that they have a standalone Joker story completely unconnected with the DCEU story line, using a different actor in the role. I mean, I guess there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it does tend to blur the line between what is part of a continuity and what isn't.

I'm all for Marvel doing standalone films, or even series (like X-Men or Deadpool) which are unconnected from the core MCU narrative. But having multiple continuities share characters gets a bit messy.

I agree. DC is grasping at straws. They screwed up and have no idea what to do now. This is a total fail for me. They even stated the Joker movie follows no comic lore.... just silly. People want continuity and something to leed them to the next. This will only work for so long. DC and Warner need to start over. New actors, directors and direction.

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Maybe, it's so hard to say Blade has never really been a "I hang out with the normal super heroes, hero" if you know what I mean. I feel like he'll be "in unvierse" but somehow I don't expect him to be a big team up character. He's also generally a lot darker / grittier of a character than anything they've done so far. But we'll see this is all really new ground here, as it seems like they're trying to do something different for what's next.

One thing about dumping all the available Marvel characters into the same narrative is that it can get unwieldy pretty quickly.

Infinity War and Endgame could easily have been a complete clusterfuck. There were so many characters needing screen time, and it was very, very impressive that Marvel were able to give them all a narrative arc of some kind within a two-movie narrative. But they were able to manage everyone's role pretty well.

But if you start introducing more characters that have markedly different tones and from markedly different scenarios into that mix, it becomes much, much harder. Like Dan says, Blade is not really a team player. Deadpool certainly isn't - and he's not as kid-friendly as the Avengers or the X-men, either.

So maybe they will be part of the continuity, but stay isolated from each other - much like Deadpool and the X-men, which are technically part of the same continuity, but not in any real narrative sense.

HBJ

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 11:05 AM

I agree. DC is grasping at straws. They screwed up and have no idea what to do now. This is a total fail for me. They even stated the Joker movie follows no comic lore.... just silly. People want continuity and something to leed them to the next. This will only work for so long. DC and Warner need to start over. New actors, directors and direction.

I don't disagree about DC, but it seems pretty clear to me that for the most part they are starting over. Sort of soft rebooting. With both Cavil and Afleck out (at least last I heard Cavil was out) they don't really have a choice. I think they intend to keep Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa around, but who knows about the actors that played Flash and Cyborg. Both of those movies have been on hold for awhile, same with the un-casted Green Lanterns movie. They're certainly soft rebooting Suicide Squad.

All this said I really don't need them to have a DCEU though. Just make good movies, I don't personally care if they're connected or not as long as they are good, and I think Joker looks really good. Also any Joker origin story isn't canon anyways. Joker in "canon" doesn't have an origin story. There have been Joker origin's told before but none of them were in the main DC comics universe. I mean the last bit of weird Joker lore from the comics I remember was that there were actually 3 different Jokers and they were using Lazarus pits to keep coming back (or something like that, I never did read the ending to that story arc).

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 11:10 AM
So maybe they will be part of the continuity, but stay isolated from each other - much like Deadpool and the X-men, which are technically part of the same continuity, but not in any real narrative sense.

HBJ

Yea this is kinda what I see. I just don't know how you put Blade in the main continuity. Or if they every do The Punisher or Ghost Rider for that matter. They're just too dark and don't really fit in with the world they've created. Honestly while I'm super excited for Blade, I don't really know how that works in the world they've got now. Like how have vampires existed this whole time?

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Ghost Rider.... Spawn... Punisher.. there is SO MANY good ones they can do. Will they is the question?

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 11:22 AM
DC need a Kevin Feige. It's as simple as that.

Look at the confidence with which Marvel announced Phase 4. They have a plan. They know what they are doing. They aren't afraid to have a mix of tones, character match-ups, and a balance between new and old heroes. And even though they suddenly have access to a bunch of Marvel properties, they are taking their time in integrating them into the core narrative - if they ever do.

DC simply lacks that confidence. They tried to rush into Justice League in response to the success of Avengers, and then got cold feet at the last minute. The result wasn't great. They are now starting to pick up steam again with their standalone films, and look like they are willing to take their time before planning another team-up movie. But it's still feels a little ah-hoc compared to the MCU.

mae
07-23-2019, 11:24 AM
We do have a DC thread, hint hint!

I think with these types of movies going forward, given what Marvel has been able to accomplish, it almost has to be a shared universe. Copying the formula isn't in itself a bad idea, it's almost a must at this point. After 11 years of the MCU the audience knows what to expect from a comic book movie, and comic book fans have known this all along.

webstar1000
07-23-2019, 11:27 AM
DC need a Kevin Feige. It's as simple as that.

Look at the confidence with which Marvel announced Phase 4. They have a plan. They know what they are doing. They aren't afraid to have a mix of tones, character match-ups, and a balance between new and old heroes. And even though they suddenly have access to a bunch of Marvel properties, they are taking their time in integrating them into the core narrative - if they ever do.

DC simply lacks that confidence. They tried to rush into Justice League in response to the success of Avengers, and then got cold feet at the last minute. The result wasn't great. They are now starting to pick up steam again with their standalone films, and look like they are willing to take their time before planning another team-up movie. But it's still feels a little ah-hoc compared to the MCU.

I totally agree with this. 100%. Well said... well said.

PS: I DO 100% believe that there will be a total integration of the Xmen. It is the logical way to create the next Endgame sized movie. Now.. long way off (10 years?) BUT I believe it is coming...

MikeDuke
07-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Yea, my friend who knows a lot about this stuff said that it might be a while before we see the X-Men rolled up into the MCU. I am assuming there will be lots of good movies between now and then.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Ghost Rider.... Spawn... Punisher.. there is SO MANY good ones they can do. Will they is the question?

Spawn is actually a Image Comics property. I wouldn't be surprised if we got something Ghost Rider at some point, my guess is either a Disney+ show or they're gonna do a spin off of Agents of SHIELD using the Ghost Rider they established there. I'd love more Punisher, I really liked the Netflix show, but I don't think it'll be a movie. I think he's probably way too violent / "murdery" for a MCU movie.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Yea, my friend who knows a lot about this stuff said that it might be a while before we see the X-Men rolled up into the MCU. I am assuming there will be lots of good movies between now and then.

I suspect we'll see something in that Phase 5 or 6. But the way it sounded to me is that the whole Fox purchase thing was just as much of a shock to Marvel Studios as it was to us, and it takes a while for the "Hollywood Machine" to change gears.

MikeDuke
07-23-2019, 11:44 AM

I suspect we'll see something in that Phase 5 or 6. But the way it sounded to me is that the whole Fox purchase thing was just as much of a shock to Marvel Studios as it was to us, and it takes a while for the "Hollywood Machine" to change gears.
Well, since phase 4 is going to be pretty fast, who knows. I wonder how long phase 5 and 6 are (could, would) going to be.

DanHocker
07-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Well, since phase 4 is going to be pretty fast, who knows. I wonder how long phase 5 and 6 are (could, would) going to be.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'd go back to the 3 year cycle. What I'm assuming is Phase 4 is sorta a "intermission" sort of phase. Then Phase 5 will be back to leading up to team up movies that cap off each phase. But really it's anyone's guess.

Hunchback Jack
07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
We do have a DC thread, hint hint!

Hint taken.

(Although to be fair, I was comparing D.C. To Marvel, which I think is almost inevitable when you get big announcements like this. But I will cease and desist. :) )

mae
07-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Yay we have out next analysis from Grace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADkfMvEsss

Please watch her break it down if Lady Thor isn't exciting you as she should! :excited:

mae
07-23-2019, 05:09 PM
More Phase 4 discussion from Collider Heroes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6UvgpIUng

mae
07-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Grace's analysis of Black Window:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScjU_VBBTk

However, maybe she wasn't aware of it or made the video after, but David Harbour's character is Red Guardian, that was confirmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpJklChCQk

mae
07-24-2019, 04:24 PM
And now for the Shang-Chi breakdown!

By the way, y'all should watch Kim's Convenience on Netflix, Simu Liu is hilarious on that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bex-Yt40gHc

mae
07-25-2019, 05:02 AM
Also, I would hope that people realize that Avengers: Endgame didn't really overtake Avatar, nor become the highest-grossing film of all time. These things must be compared adjusted for inflation over time, even when comparing to Avatar, which came out ten years ago. Right now Endgame is actually in fifth place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films_adjusted_for_inflation

1 Gone with the Wind $3,728,000,000
2 Avatar $3,273,000,000
3 Titanic $3,099,000,000
4 Star Wars $3,061,000,000
5 Avengers: Endgame $2,791,156,183

webstar1000
07-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Also, I would hope that people realize that Avengers: Endgame didn't really overtake Avatar, nor become the highest-grossing film of all time. These things must be compared adjusted for inflation over time, even when comparing to Avatar, which came out ten years ago. Right now Endgame is actually in fifth place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films_adjusted_for_inflation

1 Gone with the Wind $3,728,000,000
2 Avatar $3,273,000,000
3 Titanic $3,099,000,000
4 Star Wars $3,061,000,000
5 Avengers: Endgame $2,791,156,183

Yes agree BUT it is still the highest dollar value ever. That’s what I count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mae
07-25-2019, 05:25 AM
But a dollar in 2009 and a dollar in 2019 are of a different value. Same with a dollar in 1939. Ticket prices are also different through the years. It's comparing apples and oranges.

MikeDuke
07-25-2019, 05:31 AM
That's why maybe actual amount of tickets sold may be a better representation? If we go by that mark Titanic wins hands down.
Endgame 94,905,300 tickets sold
Titanic (first run) 128,345,900 sold
Just a thought.

webstar1000
07-25-2019, 05:34 AM
But a dollar in 2009 and a dollar in 2019 are of a different value. Same with a dollar in 1939. Ticket prices are also different through the years. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah top $$ shows well though. :)

mae
07-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Not at all. Lots of people saw Endgame in IMAX which runs $20+ per ticket. Do you know how much $20 would buy you in 1939 when people saw Gone with the Wind? Tickets sold works. Pure dollar amount does not, especially since people paid just a quarter on average or so to see Gone with the Wind in 1939.

DanHocker
07-25-2019, 06:23 AM
I actually really don't like the inflation model. I think it works with Endgame v. Avatar and maybe Titanic, but when you get back to Star Wars and Gone With The Wind the movie going experience was a totally different ball game. Movie theaters now are showing what 10 movies at a time these days. How many options where there when Gone With The Wind was in theaters? My guess would be the majority of theaters where only showing Gone With The Wind. That really skews how well a movie is going to preform if you think about it. Avatar and Titanic compare a bit better because both came out in the "modern day" of movie theaters. But on top of that it also doesn't make sense to compare by inflation because the studios and the media aren't going to bother with it either. Besides I don't think it's actually possible for anything to beat Gone With The Winds numbers once adjusted for inflation. The way the movie industry works now just doesn't allow for it.

webstar1000
07-25-2019, 07:01 AM
I actually really don't like the inflation model. I think it works with Endgame v. Avatar and maybe Titanic, but when you get back to Star Wars and Gone With The Wind the movie going experience was a totally different ball game. Movie theaters now are showing what 10 movies at a time these days. How many options where there when Gone With The Wind was in theaters? My guess would be the majority of theaters where only showing Gone With The Wind. That really skews how well a movie is going to preform if you think about it. Avatar and Titanic compare a bit better because both came out in the "modern day" of movie theaters. But on top of that it also doesn't make sense to compare by inflation because the studios and the media aren't going to bother with it either. Besides I don't think it's actually possible for anything to beat Gone With The Winds numbers once adjusted for inflation. The way the movie industry works now just doesn't allow for it.

Well put Dan

amd013
07-25-2019, 07:39 AM
http://youtu.be/UScjU_VBBTk

Had to laugh when she said ".... Annihilation staring Jane Foster ...."

mae
07-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Yup, I posted her analysis above. That might've been intentional, though. Grace's videos are always a great watch.

amd013
07-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Yes, but you have to also factor in that older movies have often had multiple releases. How many times do you think Gone with the wind has been rereleased through the decades? If you really want to compare apples to apples, you would need to get the numbers for their initial release only.

Jaws is at #7 but I saw this in the theaters circa 1979, several years after its initial release, and I know the theater was far from empty.

MikeDuke
07-25-2019, 08:12 AM
That's what's great about Box office mojo. It takes the original run of the movie and has that total. Then if there was a re-release of that movie it can show you that. And it also shows you an updated final total.

Hunchback Jack
07-25-2019, 08:47 AM
I care nothing about box office, personally.

I'm interested in seeing what the top grossing movies are, of course, but I have no desire to see a particular movie at the top. It's like we're pitting movies against each other like sports teams and rooting for our side. It's baffling.

What I care more about is whether a movie I like made money. Because that will determine whether they make more movies like it.

HBJ

Hunchback Jack
07-25-2019, 09:09 AM
That's what's great about Box office mojo. It takes the original run of the movie and has that total. Then if there was a re-release of that movie it can show you that. And it also shows you an updated final total.

It depends what you're trying to measure.

If you're trying to measure popularity, then you should look at total number of tickets sold.
If you're trying to measure financial success then you look at revenue adjusted for inflation.
If you're trying to measure how much buzz a movie has at release, you look at opening weekend tickets sales.
If you're trying to make a particular movie look like the best movie ever, you change the rules so that that movie wins, making the whole exercise pointless.

None of this measures movie quality, or justifies anyone liking the movie, of course. The only people benefitting from a movie being on this list is the studio who made it.

MikeDuke
07-25-2019, 09:15 AM
I agree. I agree. I don't like movies just because they make a lot of money. I am sure that there are plenty of films that I liked that did not make a lot of money, and some movies that made a lot of money that I did not like. I don't go by anything that anybody says i.e rotten tomatoes, or how much the movie is making. If I like the look of the preview, I take a chance, even if after I hear bad things about it.

Hunchback Jack
07-25-2019, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry, I know I'm being a killjoy. People should feel free to be gratified about liking a movie that lots of other people like. It's fine.

I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money. When a cast member or director stands up in front of a group of people and shouts, "Let's make this movie the top grossing movie of all time!" And the audience cheers, I'm asking myself, "why are you cheering? The studio is blatantly asking you to buy more of their product than you would otherwise, just so THEY can succeed".

So that's where this cynicism is coming from. Sorry, enjoy your movie lists.

HBJ

fernandito
07-25-2019, 10:48 AM
I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money.

This is pretty much the root of the problem. Make no mistake, studios and companies absolutely love when these fandom wars break out. Marvel vs Avatar. Marvel vs Star Wars. Marvel vs DC. Playstation vs Xbox. They're essentially monetizing fanboy/girlism. Pop culture specifically has a rabid fanbase and the big wigs have gotten ruthlessly efficient at using it as both a PR tool and sales booster.

DanHocker
07-25-2019, 12:40 PM
I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money.

This is pretty much the root of the problem. Make no mistake, studios and companies absolutely love when these fandom wars break out. Marvel vs Avatar. Marvel vs Star Wars. Marvel vs DC. Playstation vs Xbox. They're essentially monetizing fanboy/girlism. Pop culture specifically has a rabid fanbase and the big wigs have gotten ruthlessly efficient at using it as both a PR tool and sales booster.

Marvel vs Avatar and Marvel vs Star Wars are particularly hilarious because no matter who wins those wars Disney ultimately wins in the end.

At the end of the day though I just find the numbers fascinating, I don't really care what movie is the top grossing movie, I'm just interested in what it is. I honestly was beginning the think the Avatar numbers were purely unbeatable, and I am actually really surprised Endgame managed to do it.

mae
07-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Except Endgame didn't and is only about half a billion short :)

fernandito
07-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Huh?

fernandito
07-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Also, I thought this was pretty cool

We'll see if a (likely) reissue of Avatar, primed to promote Avatar 2, takes back the record in a year or two. We'll see if Avatar 2 manages to out-gross its predecessor when it opens in December of 2021. That's less likely, but A) China is a lot bigger than it was in 2009 and B) Never bet against James Cameron. Either way, the displacement of Avatar at the top of the world’s biggest grossers list is indeed a milestone and/or benchmark for at least one reason. For the first time in nearly 45 years, the biggest movie of all-time is not a film directed by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas or James Cameron.

webstar1000
07-25-2019, 02:25 PM
Also, I thought this was pretty cool

We'll see if a (likely) reissue of Avatar, primed to promote Avatar 2, takes back the record in a year or two. We'll see if Avatar 2 manages to out-gross its predecessor when it opens in December of 2021. That's less likely, but A) China is a lot bigger than it was in 2009 and B) Never bet against James Cameron. Either way, the displacement of Avatar at the top of the world’s biggest grossers list is indeed a milestone and/or benchmark for at least one reason. For the first time in nearly 45 years, the biggest movie of all-time is not a film directed by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas or James Cameron.

Very cool. I also can see a reissue of Avatar BUT will anyone see it? It was a total forgettable movie that’s not even very good. It was brilliant marketing... YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS IN THEATRE BECAUSE OF THE NEW 3D!!! That was the thing. I doubt the second one will do remotely as well. No one even cares they have been delayed time and time again. But I agree... don’t bet against Cameron.

Hunchback Jack
07-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Huh?

Adjusting for inflation. Which you should do.

HBJ

mae
07-25-2019, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSP7G0kxOS4

DanHocker
07-26-2019, 06:21 AM

Huh?

HBJ

Agree to disagree. No one cared about adjusting for inflation when Avatar took that title or all the years since when everyone claimed Avatar as the movie to beat, so I don't know why we should start caring about inflation now.

webstar1000
07-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Huh?

HBJ

Agree to disagree. No one cared about adjusting for inflation when Avatar took that title or all the years since when everyone claimed Avatar as the movie to beat, so I don't know why we should start caring about inflation now.

100%. Totally agree Dan.

mae
07-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Personally I never held to that, everyone knows that it’s far and away Gone with the Wind that’s number one. And I’m not even a big fan of it but facts are facts.

But Avatar is still a movie to beat.

webstar1000
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Personally I never held to that, everyone knows that it’s far and away Gone with the Wind that’s number one. And I’m not even a big fan of it but facts are facts.

But Avatar is still a movie to beat.

I disagree. Dollars are lower for both those films.

fernandito
07-26-2019, 07:21 AM
I don't give a fuck about inflation.

Endgame #1.

Suck it haters.

:)

mae
07-26-2019, 07:24 AM
Haters? I loved Endgame it it might end up being my #1 film of the year. Top 5 for sure.

webstar1000
07-26-2019, 07:25 AM
I don't give a fuck about inflation.

Endgame #1.

Suck it haters.

:)

FAWK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DanHocker
07-26-2019, 11:41 AM
Endgame was great, but I don't think it's gonna be my number 1 for the year. I have an unabashed love for all things Star Wars (good and bad), so it'll almost certainly be the new Star Wars movie for me. Endgame will almost certainly be a close 2nd though.

LizzyDeschain
07-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Endgame was great, but I don't think it's gonna be my number 1 for the year. I have an unabashed love for all things Star Wars (good and bad), so it'll almost certainly be the new Star Wars movie for me. Endgame will almost certainly be a close 2nd though.

I have to agree, here... Endgame is prob in my top 5 for the year, too, but not my #1. Still got Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts to think about.

Hunchback Jack
07-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Huh?

HBJ

Just because it was done wrong before doesn't mean it's right to do it wrong now.

Comparing absolute dollar amounts from different times makes as much sense as comparing absolute amounts from different countries. A 2009 US dollar has no more relevance to a 2019 US dollar than a 2019 Canadian dollar has. Or a Russian Ruble.

(A 2009 dollar buys 20% more than a 2019 dollar, in case you're wondering. That's significant).

Of course, if you want to set the rules of the game to guarantee the "right movie wins", go for it. It does make the win meaningless, though.

HBJ

mae
07-27-2019, 06:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF4boqgHCe4

mae
07-27-2019, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7xB4r4ABME

DanHocker
07-29-2019, 06:44 AM

Huh?

HBJ

Just because it was done wrong before doesn't mean it's right to do it wrong now.

Comparing absolute dollar amounts from different times makes as much sense as comparing absolute amounts from different countries. A 2009 US dollar has no more relevance to a 2019 US dollar than a 2019 Canadian dollar has. Or a Russian Ruble.

(A 2009 dollar buys 20% more than a 2019 dollar, in case you're wondering. That's significant).

Of course, if you want to set the rules of the game to guarantee the "right movie wins", go for it. It does make the win meaningless, though.

HBJ

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think Hollywood or even most people actually care about "adjusted for inflation". I mean even James Cameron congratulated Marvel for Endgame taking the "#1 spot", he didn't go "well technically my movie is still in first". Which if we go adjusted for inflation his movie was never first.

DanHocker
07-29-2019, 06:46 AM

I have to agree, here... Endgame is prob in my top 5 for the year, too, but not my #1. Still got Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts to think about.

Wait there's another Fantastic Beasts this year? I though we were still a year or 2 out from the next one.

MikeDuke
07-29-2019, 07:18 AM
I know it was three hours, and people have different thoughts on it, but does anybody think that they will incorporate more into the movie to make an extended cut, rather than having them as extras on the disk when it's released?

DanHocker
07-29-2019, 07:50 AM
I know it was three hours, and people have different thoughts on it, but does anybody think that they will incorporate more into the movie to make an extended cut, rather than having them as extras on the disk when it's released?

Hmm I kinda doubt it. I don't think Marvel has really done a "extended cut" before have they?

Hunchback Jack
07-29-2019, 08:21 AM
I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think Hollywood or even most people actually care about "adjusted for inflation". I mean even James Cameron congratulated Marvel for Endgame taking the "#1 spot", he didn't go "well technically my movie is still in first". Which if we go adjusted for inflation his movie was never first.

A fair point, well made. I suppose if direct dollar comparisons is what the industry has tended to use while talking about these things - even if those comparisons may ultimately be somewhat self-serving - it makes sense to continue using them.

HBJ

MikeDuke
07-29-2019, 08:45 AM

Hmm I kinda doubt it. I don't think Marvel has really done a "extended cut" before have they?
No they have not. But I thought I read that this would be the first one. I am probably wrong though and just mis-read something.

DanHocker
07-29-2019, 08:52 AM

No they have not. But I thought I read that this would be the first one. I am probably wrong though and just mis-read something.

I honestly have no idea. I'm not really sure how much they actually cut out. I've seen the handful of deleted scenes that they've released on YouTube, but they all seem to have unfinished CGI work, so it seems unlikely that they'd be in an extended cut. But you never know with Disney.

fernandito
08-20-2019, 12:44 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’ (https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/)

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

Now, it’s easy to say that Feige has enough on his plate, especially after taking control of the X-Men universe in the Fox acquisition, including the Deadpool franchise, along with architecting the next phase of the Marvel superhero universe and building movies and shows for Disney +. But I’m told Feige loves Spider-Man, arguably the biggest superhero character in the Marvel canon. He would have continued if Disney and Sony could have reached new deal terms.

Essentially Sony has made a decision that is similar to saying, thank you, but we think we can win the championship without Michael Jordan. After all, Feige’s first decade at Marvel is largely unblemished and his consistency has been nothing short of historic: even George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson haven’t seen everything turn into a hit, and so maybe only James Cameron has the success record that Feige has achieved. But Feige has done it all in the last 10 years, producing and overseeing 23 superheros, with not a flop in the bunch. They’ve all been number one openers that have collectively grossed $26.8 billion. Feige this year became the producer of the top grossing film ever for two studios — Sony and Disney — and he produced three of the top four highest grossing films this year in Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home. This after scoring the first ever Best Picture Oscar nom for a superhero film last year with Black Panther. I can’t think of a Hollywood producer/executive who has done anything close to this.

And the launch of the new iteration of Spider-Man was done brilliantly with Marvel’s support and help. It has been a boon to both studios. Tom Holland’s character was introduced in the Joe & Anthony Russo-directed 2016 blockbuster Captain America: Civil War, the film that set up the two record breaking Avengers films. Sony’s first rebooted Spidey film, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, rode that Marvel wave and grossed $880 million worldwide, and then the webslinger was a key character in the two Avengers films, leading to the Spidey sequel that this week became Sony’s top grossing film ever.

Sources said Disney’s top brass for the past several months has sought new terms for Feige and the Marvel cross-pollination to continue. As the Spider-Man relationship grew, Feige and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman spoke about the possibility of a wider involvement in the Sony-controlled Spider-man universe, which contains 900 characters. I’m told that Feige lent an unofficial hand with the blockbuster Venom, but I’ve also been told that that film was far from the polished product that grossed $856 million worldwide, until Rothman himself spent a good long time in the editing room helping to get it there.

It is understandable that the fiscally shrewd Rothman would balk at giving up half of Sony’s biggest franchise to Marvel. After all, Marvel already owns the merchandising on Spider-Man. Does the Mouse really need half of the movie universe also? Sony so far has decided that as valuable as Feige is, Disney is asking too high a price.

Sources said that Sony reasoned that they will be fine, without Feige. The creative template has been set on the Spider-Man films, and Watt and Holland are in place along with Amy Pascal, who became producer with Feige after she exited the executive suite after presiding over the previous Spider-man iterations directed by Sam Raimi and Marc Webb as Sony Pictures chief.

The Venom sequel is well underway with Andy Serkis directing Tom Hardy, and there is Morbius with Jared Leto, Kraven The Hunter, and another spinoff with the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. And a Sinister Six film that got shelved. Sony, which once felt the ticking clock of generating a Spider-Man film every three or so years to prevent a rights reversion to Disney, now has plenty of pictures to make. And the studio also won the Best Animated Feature Oscar for Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, a smash hit they made on their own.

webstar1000
08-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Fuck Sony is stupid.....

mae
08-20-2019, 02:15 PM
It means they can now have Tom Holland's Spider-Man Venom 2 or 3.

webstar1000
08-20-2019, 02:50 PM
It means they can now have Tom Holland's Spider-Man Venom 2 or 3.

We could have before though.... they even said that. But it just means that we get him for the last of the contract and then no more. They were working on a additional 7 pictures and now we get what.. 2 more? I would way rather see him in the Marvel cannon.

mae
08-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Might not be all that a big deal, like they say here, could all just be negotiation tactics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4duqOysotk

mae
08-21-2019, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdKWDvdIU0g

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 04:32 AM
Might not be all that a big deal, like they say here, could all just be negotiation tactics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4duqOysotk

I SO HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT.... he was my hands down fav in that universe...

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Honestly I feel like almost all these articles completely jumped the gun on this one. I saw the some of the original ones, then they all had an "updated" section not that long later saying that nothing was final yet. So this is one of those things that until Sony or Marvel say the deal is off in an official statement I'm just don't particularly buy these stories. Realistically I can't imagine Sony will really want to deal with the PR nightmare that pulling Spider-Man from the MCU will be for them.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 06:09 AM
Honestly I feel like almost all these articles completely jumped the gun on this one. I saw the some of the original ones, then they all had an "updated" section not that long later saying that nothing was final yet. So this is one of those things that until Sony or Marvel say the deal is off in an official statement I'm just don't particularly buy these stories. Realistically I can't imagine Sony will really want to deal with the PR nightmare that pulling Spider-Man from the MCU will be for them.

They will be hated. It would be silly to lose him over money... I mean the merc rights for Disney HAVE to be massive. And as Mae said... the only plus side is that Holland would immediately be cast in the Venom movie WHICH... I believe he would have been in the next one anyways... in some capacity.

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 06:42 AM

They will be hated. It would be silly to lose him over money... I mean the merc rights for Disney HAVE to be massive. And as Mae said... the only plus side is that Holland would immediately be cast in the Venom movie WHICH... I believe he would have been in the next one anyways... in some capacity.

The problem really is that Sony doesn't see it quite the same way. Because essentially they get more money if they pull him from the MCU, but at the same time they would take a massive PR hit for doing so and loose the clout that the MCU comes with. While Disney are the ones after more money in this situation they have the stronger ground to argue on as everyone will blame Sony even if Disney are the ones digging for more money.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 06:49 AM

The problem really is that Sony doesn't see it quite the same way. Because essentially they get more money if they pull him from the MCU, but at the same time they would take a massive PR hit for doing so and loose the clout that the MCU comes with. While Disney are the ones after more money in this situation they have the stronger ground to argue on as everyone will blame Sony even if Disney are the ones digging for more money.

Ill blame Sony.

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Ill blame Sony.

Generally (without knowing the details of their agreement) I'm inclined to blame Sony as well. That said if their agreement is Sony finances 60% and Disney 40% then Sony gets 60% profit and Disney gets 40%, but Disney wants to change it to a 50/50 profit split while leaving the financing the same, then I kinda agree with Sony on this one. Especially since Sony doesn't get a dime of money from merchandising. All this said I'd probably personally leave the Peter Parker version of Spider-Man in the MCU and develop and "Ultimate Spider-Man" franchise using Miles Morales character as your main Spider-Man, since he's already proven to be successful in the animated movie.

Hunchback Jack
08-21-2019, 08:46 AM
I'm confused. I thought the agreement between Sony and Disney ended with Far from Home, and Sony was due to "take back" Spider-Man at this point, to use exclusively in their own movies.

I can see why Disney and Sony would negotiate for further joint projects with the IP, but I'm not that surprised that Sony is reluctant. There's not much in it for them - especially if Disney is asking for a bigger piece of the pie, and Sony can't use the character in their own projects.

Was there a deal struck to continue to use Holland in further MCU projects, which Sony is now breaking? I hadnt heard that.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 09:27 AM
I'm confused. I thought the agreement between Sony and Disney ended with Far from Home, and Sony was due to "take back" Spider-Man at this point, to use exclusively in their own movies.

I can see why Disney and Sony would negotiate for further joint projects with the IP, but I'm not that surprised that Sony is reluctant. There's not much in it for them - especially if Disney is asking for a bigger piece of the pie, and Sony can't use the character in their own projects.

Was there a deal struck to continue to use Holland in further MCU projects, which Sony is now breaking? I hadnt heard that.

No but they had always expected to keep going. 5 pictures at a time... I mean we don't really know the ins and outs... but why would Sony NOT want to be in the most successful universe ever created? BIG $$ for them... they would be foolish not to work with Marvel and Disney.

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 10:22 AM

That's what this was I believe. They were at the "re-negotiating" phase for the next round of movies. Supposedly Disney asked for a larger cut, Sony countered, and Disney said no. All the initial articles lead me to believe that was the end of it, but now they've all gone back on that and supposedly negotiations are still ongoing.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 10:31 AM

That's what this was I believe. They were at the "re-negotiating" phase for the next round of movies. Supposedly Disney asked for a larger cut, Sony countered, and Disney said no. All the initial articles lead me to believe that was the end of it, but now they've all gone back on that and supposedly negotiations are still ongoing.

Sony has confirmed the split... They did today... I hope your right but... And Sony stock already falling. lol

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sony-confirms-spidermans-story-continue-marvel/

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Sony has confirmed the split... They did today... I hope your right but... And Sony stock already falling. lol

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sony-confirms-spidermans-story-continue-marvel/

Nope you're right, it's just the news breaking for this has been a total mess. I still don't really blame Sony on this one. Disney wanted more money, and they were already the ones earning big off of it. It looks like we get 2 more Spider-Man movies with the current cast and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go. It's just a shame we won't see anymore cross over characters. On the plus side we don't have to have the whole Happy / Aunt May side arc anymore.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Nope you're right, it's just the news breaking for this has been a total mess. I still don't really blame Sony on this one. Disney wanted more money, and they were already the ones earning big off of it. It looks like we get 2 more Spider-Man movies with the current cast and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go. It's just a shame we won't see anymore cross over characters. On the plus side we don't have to have the whole Happy / Aunt May side arc anymore.

That didn't bother me in the least.... I am more bothered its back in the hands of a company that doesnt know what to do with the property. ALL Spiderman films I was not a fan of until Holland and Marvel. I even thought Venom was trash.... could have been SO MUCH BETTER. WE shall see though.... we shall see. Quite a movement on line to boycott Sony. They may bend on this from a stock/$ point of view. Could be worse off leaving...

DanHocker
08-21-2019, 12:49 PM

That didn't bother me in the least.... I am more bothered its back in the hands of a company that doesnt know what to do with the property. ALL Spiderman films I was not a fan of until Holland and Marvel. I even thought Venom was trash.... could have been SO MUCH BETTER. WE shall see though.... we shall see. Quite a movement on line to boycott Sony. They may bend on this from a stock/$ point of view. Could be worse off leaving...

Maybe but if they've already confirmed it it's probably worse for them to flip flop back now. It show's a lack of confidence which can also have a negative impact on stock prices. As I understand it they're still going with the original story plan that they laid out with Marvel and they've got the same director and same cast (minus the MCU characters). I don't know about the writers, but Jon Watts has a screenplay credit for Homecoming and he's the director so I'm not to worried about that. Really the big thing they're loosing is Kevin Feige producer input, which if they already had a plan in place (which it sounds like they did) then it really shouldn't matter too much. Honestly what's more worrying is how much they may or may not screw up by trying to put Tom Holland Spider-Man and their current Venom in the same universe.

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Maybe but if they've already confirmed it it's probably worse for them to flip flop back now. It show's a lack of confidence which can also have a negative impact on stock prices. As I understand it they're still going with the original story plan that they laid out with Marvel and they've got the same director and same cast (minus the MCU characters). I don't know about the writers, but Jon Watts has a screenplay credit for Homecoming and he's the director so I'm not to worried about that. Really the big thing they're loosing is Kevin Feige producer input, which if they already had a plan in place (which it sounds like they did) then it really shouldn't matter too much. Honestly what's more worrying is how much they may or may not screw up by trying to put Tom Holland Spider-Man and their current Venom in the same universe.

Which you know they will. That will be first order of business is to shoehorn Holland into the next venom movie.

Hunchback Jack
08-21-2019, 01:51 PM
why would Sony NOT want to be in the most successful universe ever created?

Because it comes with conditions. Disney is calling the shots, and Sony has restricted use of the Spider-Man property while it appears in the MCU.

I think of it this way: imagine if a network had a successful show, and had the opportunity to do a crossover with another network's more successful show. They do a few eps of that, to everyone's mutual benefit. But in order to continue doing that, the network's original show can't have those characters back, effectively suspending their own show.

At that point, the other network borrowing those characters is getting most of the upside. The network that owns those characters can't capitalize on the increased visibility the crossover gave them. Yes, they are getting more revenue, but they have lost the control over the property that they need to build on that success.

HBJ

webstar1000
08-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Because it comes with conditions. Disney is calling the shots, and Sony has restricted use of the Spider-Man property while it appears in the MCU.

I think of it this way: imagine if a network had a successful show, and had the opportunity to do a crossover with another network's more successful show. They do a few eps of that, to everyone's mutual benefit. But in order to continue doing that, the network's original show can't have those characters back, effectively suspending their own show.

At that point, the other network borrowing those characters is getting most of the upside. The network that owns those characters can't capitalize on the increased visibility the crossover gave them. Yes, they are getting more revenue, but they have lost the control over the property that they need to build on that success.

HBJ

You cannot honestly believe that Sony will do better with this property with ALL the profits than Marvel can with SOME of the profits? I get your point but truly believe this to be an anomaly. Not to mention Sony is getting its ass torn on the message boards and threads. Hashtag #boycottsony I think... is trending big time. This could seriously hurt a company that is already hurting in the movie industry

Hunchback Jack
08-21-2019, 02:53 PM

HBJ

You cannot honestly believe that Sony will do better with this property with ALL the profits than Marvel can with SOME of the profits? I get your point but truly believe this to be an anomaly. Not to mention Sony is getting its ass torn on the message boards and threads. Hashtag #boycottsony I think... is trending big time. This could seriously hurt a company that is already hurting in the movie industry

Oh, I agree. But Sony clearly don't want to believe that the only way they can make their highly desirable property successful is to give their main competitor exclusive access to it. It's completely understandable.

HBJ

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 06:27 AM
On top of that Disney wanted 50% of the gross for continued involvement, which is a huge increase over the 5% that they were supposedly getting before. If you look at it from a purely financial aspect, if they're movies under preform by 50% (which they won't) they're still coming out ahead of where they would be if they accepted Disney's terms. Just looking at say Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which was garbage) only made 172 million less than Spider-Man Homecoming. Even if they were to drop to those numbers they'd still be way ahead of giving 50% to Disney for essentially the use of Kevin Feige's time and some the ability to use characters from the MCU. So again I can't really blame them. Everyone is blaming Sony in for this, but to me this is Disney throwing it's weight around.

webstar1000
08-22-2019, 06:32 AM
On top of that Disney wanted 50% of the gross for continued involvement, which is a huge increase over the 5% that they were supposedly getting before. If you look at it from a purely financial aspect, if they're movies under preform by 50% (which they won't) they're still coming out ahead of where they would be if they accepted Disney's terms. Just looking at say Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which was garbage) only made 172 million less than Spider-Man Homecoming. Even if they were to drop to those numbers they'd still be way ahead of giving 50% to Disney for essentially the use of Kevin Feige's time and some the ability to use characters from the MCU. So again I can't really blame them. Everyone is blaming Sony in for this, but to me this is Disney throwing it's weight around.

No this is not Disney throwing thier weight around.. this is called negotiations. Gotta start somewhere and they def deserve more than 5%. I bet they settle somewhere in the 25-30% range and this goes through. Disney is a business.... can you blame them for wanting more for all thier hard work?

Kongo
08-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but with Spider-man having no role in phase 4, there's still a lot of time for things to smooth over and get sorted out. Sure Spider-Man can survive without the MCU, but it's clear nobody wants him to. While I thought into the spiderverse was one of the best Spider-Man films, Venom was a barely passable dumpster fire of Tom Hardy acting like a drug addict for 2 hours.

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 07:35 AM

No this is not Disney throwing thier weight around.. this is called negotiations. Gotta start somewhere and they def deserve more than 5%. I bet they settle somewhere in the 25-30% range and this goes through. Disney is a business.... can you blame them for wanting more for all thier hard work?

From what I understand Sony countered Disney's proposal and Disney just said no. I'd also be really curious to know how much "hard work" Disney really did on Homecoming and Far From Home. Given that it seems like the creative team for those movies is largely staying with Sony, how much of that was Disney's doing? Or was Disney just helping with the overarching plan / re-imagining of the character to fit into the MCU? But again if Sony is doing all of the heavy lifting from a financial aspect I can't blame them for not wanting to give Disney a bigger cut.

Edit: To be clear I mostly just don't think Disney deserves the benefit of the doubt as being the "good guy" here. They're the big guy here and they have the least to loose by loosing Spider-Man.

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but with Spider-man having no role in phase 4, there's still a lot of time for things to smooth over and get sorted out. Sure Spider-Man can survive without the MCU, but it's clear nobody wants him to. While I thought into the spiderverse was one of the best Spider-Man films, Venom was a barely passable dumpster fire of Tom Hardy acting like a drug addict for 2 hours.

My guess is there was no Spider-man announcement in phase 4 because these negotiations where ongoing. Otherwise we probably would've seen Spider-Man 3 (some title with "Home" in it) towards the end of Phase 4. I guess with Sony on their own that's probably the plan anyways as that would be about the correct spacing, assuming they keep to a 2 or 3 year cycle.

webstar1000
08-22-2019, 08:12 AM

From what I understand Sony countered Disney's proposal and Disney just said no. I'd also be really curious to know how much "hard work" Disney really did on Homecoming and Far From Home. Given that it seems like the creative team for those movies is largely staying with Sony, how much of that was Disney's doing? Or was Disney just helping with the overarching plan / re-imagining of the character to fit into the MCU? But again if Sony is doing all of the heavy lifting from a financial aspect I can't blame them for not wanting to give Disney a bigger cut.

Edit: To be clear I mostly just don't think Disney deserves the benefit of the doubt as being the "good guy" here. They're the big guy here and they have the least to loose by loosing Spider-Man.

True... you are right and I also agree that was why we got no Spiderman in the next phase.... EItheway how would both sides deal with it? NOT good either way...

fernandito
08-22-2019, 08:37 AM
I want to imagine that Disney will still feel enticed to try and work something out. They've essentially set up Spider-Man as 'Iron Man Jr', further ingraining him into the fabric of the MCU as Tony's heir. People have short memories, they'll forget this little speed bump in an otherwise fruitful collaboration between Sony and Disney.

Iwritecode
08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
https://i.redd.it/mpyawxy99wh31.jpg

amd013
08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
I want to imagine that Disney will still feel enticed to try and work something out. They've essentially set up Spider-Man as 'Iron Man Jr', further ingraining him into the fabric of the MCU as Tony's heir. People have short memories, they'll forget this little speed bump in an otherwise fruitful collaboration between Sony and Disney.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. Do they need to reboot? Or give some reason why he isn't using an iron man spider suit anymore, without violating copyright. I really hated the Iron man Jr angle. When I was a fan of the comics he was never so dependent on someone else.

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 09:14 AM

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. Do they need to reboot? Or give some reason why he isn't using an iron man spider suit anymore, without violating copyright. I really hated the Iron man Jr angle. When I was a fan of the comics he was never so dependent on someone else.

As far as I'm aware they aren't rebooting. They've said that their continuing with the plan they had worked out from the get go, so the next movie should pick up where Far From Home left off. The biggest thing we'll see is they'll just not reference MCU characters anymore. It could really be super awkward. I believe Tom Holland and the director are both contracted with Sony for 2 more Spider-Man solo movies, both are part of the original plan laid out from the get go with this "re-boot".

Tommy
08-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Now, thousands of fans are planning to protest Sony.

Spider-Man: Thousands of fans pledge to ‘storm’ Sony headquarters over Disney feud (https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/spider-man-mcu-storm-sony-disney-marvel-area-51-facebook-a9074191.html)

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Spider-Man: Thousands of fans pledge to ‘storm’ Sony headquarters over Disney feud (https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/spider-man-mcu-storm-sony-disney-marvel-area-51-facebook-a9074191.html)

God people are idiots. I also really laugh at the change.org petition. Has anything ever happened because of a change.org petition?

Tommy
08-22-2019, 10:49 AM

God people are idiots. I also really laugh at the change.org petition. Has anything ever happened because of a change.org petition?

Quick search and I found this...

5 Change.org Petitions That Worked (https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/3637-business-changes-year.html)

webstar1000
08-22-2019, 11:02 AM

I think it is funny. Non violent and 6000++ people all dressed up as Spidey? Im all for it! lol

DanHocker
08-22-2019, 11:16 AM

5 Change.org Petitions That Worked (https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/3637-business-changes-year.html)

Interesting. You always here about these change.org petitions targeting movies, tv shows, video games, ect. I feel like the most recent example of "dumb change.org" petitions is all the stuff with Game of Thrones. But I guess maybe the dumb ones are the ones that get the most publicity.

Tommy
08-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Interesting. You always here about these change.org petitions targeting movies, tv shows, video games, ect. I feel like the most recent example of "dumb change.org" petitions is all the stuff with Game of Thrones. But I guess maybe the dumb ones are the ones that get the most publicity.

Such is life. Spectacle before substance.

mae
08-23-2019, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj4HW0bJz7Q

mae
08-24-2019, 08:03 AM
No one is excited by these new shows? I think all three sound amazing and these characters will surely appear on the big screen as well. Here's some background info and what these shows might be from Grace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7F_P2JiFk

Mattrick
08-24-2019, 09:12 AM
No, I'm not excited at all. Phase 4 looks like pure garbage. Thankfully, after Endgame I don't have to watch anymore. I'll just watch the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie wherever that is out.

Mattrick
08-24-2019, 09:13 AM
I should say I'm somewhat interested in Doctor Strange because I heard it was going to be a horror movie, but I doubt it will be true horror because Disney doesn't have the guts to do that.

Tommy
08-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Stan Lee's daughter has some very harsh words for Marvel and Disney....

Stan Lee’s daughter: ‘No one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney’s executives’ (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/22/stan-lees-daughter-sides-with-sony-in-spider-man-spat-with-disney.html)

mae
08-24-2019, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsCMqVbpgnQ

Iwritecode
08-26-2019, 05:28 AM
It's difficult for me to really get excited because I don't read comics so I know nothing about all these new characters they keep bringing up. She-Hulk, Captain Carter, Moon Knight??? I may have heard of some of the names but that's about it.

Granted I knew little to nothing about the other characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, GotG before I saw any of their movies and enjoyed them very much. So it's just wait and see for me.

DanHocker
08-26-2019, 06:20 AM
No one is excited by these new shows? I think all three sound amazing and these characters will surely appear on the big screen as well. Here's some background info and what these shows might be from Grace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7F_P2JiFk

I would expect Moon Knight and She Hulk to maybe appear on the big screen. I don't think they've confirmed anything but rumor is Ms Marvel is going to be animated, so if that's the case she probably won't. Unfortunately I've never been much of a Marvel Comics guy so unless it's directly relating to the movie characters or characters I'm familiar with from TV shows I watched when I was younger I don't really care much about them. Moon Knight, She Hulk, and Ms Marvel fall into that category for me. I'm pretty excited about some of the other shows though, and the Phase 4 movies, except maybe The Eternals, just because I don't really know anything about those characters.

mae
08-26-2019, 06:26 AM
Feige did say on the stage this weekend that Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) will appear in a future MCU film (maybe Captain Marvel 2 or Young Avengers?). I would imagine all new characters will. The only animated series is What If? because it's re-imagining every MCU movie so it kinda needs to be animated.

DanHocker
08-26-2019, 06:33 AM
Feige did say on the stage this weekend that Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) will appear in a future MCU film (maybe Captain Marvel 2 or Young Avengers?). I would imagine all new characters will. The only animated series is What If? because it's re-imagining every MCU movie so it kinda needs to be animated.

Interesting. I don't really know how you do her in anything but animated, unless you kinda re-imagine her powers because if I remember correctly they're kinda goofy and I feel like it would be hard to make them look good in live action.

Rjeso
08-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Spider-Man: Back At Home

*Peter wakes up* Wow, what a weird dream
Aunt May: What happened?
Peter: I legally cannot tell you.
Aunt May, feeling Pete's forehead: Peter, you've been asleep for days, are you feeling all right?
Peter: I don't feel so good. *winks at the camera*

Honestly, this mess is ridiculous. Sony pays for everything and got nothing for Civil War or the Avengers movies, so I don't blame them for balking at Disney demanding 50%.

Mattrick
08-29-2019, 01:20 AM
I won't be watching any Superhero shows. If someone tells me a Superhero show is on the level of Sopranos or Breaking Bad, I'll look into it. 2 hours or so for a movie once a year a year is enough for me. I surely don't need to watch 40 hours+ a year of Superhero stuff. I didn't watch Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl, The Flash, The Defenders (or whatever it was), Legion, whatever others I missed. I have less reason to watch these because screw Disney. They've gotten like 35 dollars from me in the past 10 years, and I consider that to be far too much.

I'm hoping Phase 5 is better than what's coming up, because it looks like an MCU void to me. I'd check out Thor after Ragnarok, but Natalie Portman as Thor? BORING.

webstar1000
08-29-2019, 06:07 AM
I won't be watching any Superhero shows. If someone tells me a Superhero show is on the level of Sopranos or Breaking Bad, I'll look into it. 2 hours or so for a movie once a year a year is enough for me. I surely don't need to watch 40 hours+ a year of Superhero stuff. I didn't watch Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl, The Flash, The Defenders (or whatever it was), Legion, whatever others I missed. I have less reason to watch these because screw Disney. They've gotten like 35 dollars from me in the past 10 years, and I consider that to be far too much.

I'm hoping Phase 5 is better than what's coming up, because it looks like an MCU void to me. I'd check out Thor after Ragnarok, but Natalie Portman as Thor? BORING.

So they got $35 from you... yet you seen all the Marvel movies? And why the hate? Honestly?

fernandito
08-29-2019, 07:37 AM

Ok so here's the thing. As much as I love Superhero stuff (and ya'll know I do) - I try to watch as little Superhero shows as possible because A} they're formulaic, and B} there is much, much better television out there. The films are great because they're more of an event and are a smaller time commitment, the time that is spent is used getting to the good stuff, not drawing out melodrama for cardboard characters across 8-10 episodes.

DanHocker
08-29-2019, 07:45 AM

Ok so here's the thing. As much as I love Superhero stuff (and ya'll know I do) - I try to watch as little Superhero shows as possible because A} they're formulaic, and B} there is much, much better television out there. The films are great because they're more of an event and are a smaller time commitment, that time that is spent is used getting to the good stuff, not drawing out melodrama for 8-10 episodes.

For the most part I agree with you for most of those shows, and I watch most of them. But I think a lot people write some of them off because they are super hero shows. Personal I feel like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Legion, and The Boys are among the best of tv that's been made in the time they've been out. Also I don't even really think Legion can be classified as a super hero show, that show just happens to be about people with super powers.

Joe315
08-29-2019, 08:10 AM
I thought Jessica Jones and The Boys were great. I gave up on Daredevil and am planning on giving legion a watch at some point.

DanHocker
08-29-2019, 08:12 AM
I thought Jessica Jones and The Boys were great. I gave up on Daredevil and am planning on giving legion a watch at some point.

Daredevil season 2 was a bit of a let down, but season 3 was maybe the single best season of any of the Netflix Marvel shows.

webstar1000
08-29-2019, 08:29 AM
THE BOYS. That is the best comic hero TV I have ever seen.

DanHocker
08-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Yea it's super good. I can't wait for season 2. Also that reminds me, I can't believe I forgot about The Tick on Amazon as well. That's also super good, totally different than all of the rest of these shows though.

Joe315
08-29-2019, 09:23 AM

Yea it's super good. I can't wait for season 2. Also that reminds me, I can't believe I forgot about The Tick on Amazon as well. That's also super good, totally different than all of the rest of these shows though.

Agree on the tick. I was disappointed they cancelled it.

Rjeso
08-29-2019, 09:31 AM
I watch allllll the superhero shows, and honestly enjoy every one of them. If you're looking to limit your hero intake, I heartily second the votes for Legion, Daredevil, and The Boys. They may be superhero shows, but they're far from formulaic. Daredevil and Legion are two of my very favorite shows. Also, Preacher (though that's hardly a heroic show even though it's based on a comic book).

Personally, I enjoy Agents of SHIELD a lot -- if you can get through s1-A (which ended up piecemeal and suffering deeply because the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier forced hurried rewrites), it's good fun. It's cornier than the shows above, but it's not like Batman 60's corny.

DanHocker
08-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Agree on the tick. I was disappointed they cancelled it.

Huh I missed that news. That's unfortunate, but not surprising really. It's a weird show and I can understand why it might not pull the numbers required to keep it going.

DanHocker
08-29-2019, 10:06 AM
I watch allllll the superhero shows, and honestly enjoy every one of them. If you're looking to limit your hero intake, I heartily second the votes for Legion, Daredevil, and The Boys. They may be superhero shows, but they're far from formulaic. Daredevil and Legion are two of my very favorite shows. Also, Preacher (though that's hardly a heroic show even though it's based on a comic book).

Personally, I enjoy Agents of SHIELD a lot -- if you can get through s1-A (which ended up piecemeal and suffering deeply because the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier forced hurried rewrites), it's good fun. It's cornier than the shows above, but it's not like Batman 60's corny.

I agree about Shield, I like that show a lot, but mostly it is sorta just kinda a good twist on your run of the mill network tv stuff though. I used to really like the CW shows, but the longer I watch them the more I don't like them. Like how many times can The Flash screw up in the exact same way and have everyone forgive him...

Rjeso
08-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Ugh, yeah, DCTV is pretty awful.

I enjoy Gotham and Pennyworth has been good so far, but the rest is a hard pass.

Kongo
08-29-2019, 01:07 PM

I finally got to watch the first 2 episodes last night, and wow. The dark humor is right up my alley, and I can only imagine how much more fucked up it's about to get. Karl Urban is a standout too, but then again when is he not?

Tommy
08-29-2019, 01:14 PM

I finally got to watch the first 2 episodes last night, and wow. The dark humor is right up my alley, and I can only imagine how much more fucked up it's about to get. Karl Urban is a standout too, but then again when is he not?

It gets so much more crazy, LOL love it!

Kongo
08-29-2019, 01:32 PM

Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work then. I'm curious if anybody here has read the source material it's based on? From what I understand , the show has changed up quite a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

Joe315
08-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work then. I'm curious if anybody here has read the source material it's based on? From what I understand , the show has changed up quite a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

I didn't read the comics, just some background stuff. There were changes to the show and I don't think its to the detriment of the show.

Tommy
08-29-2019, 01:58 PM

I didn't read the comics, just some background stuff. There were changes to the show and I don't think its to the detriment of the show.

Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe! :beat: But The Boys is a short series of 72 issues, I will probably try to read it someday.

(One more thing though, Amazon put out a promo calendar for The Boys featuring The Deep and it is hilarious, I need one!)

mae
08-29-2019, 02:05 PM
Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe!

Hey, I'm a peaceful villain! :huglove:

Mattrick
08-29-2019, 05:36 PM

So they got $35 from you... yet you seen all the Marvel movies? And why the hate? Honestly?

I've only seen about half the Marvel movies. Usually on Netflix, which I don't pay for. Most of them are just okay, certainly not worth paying for. Only ones I paid for are Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War/Endgame. I don't own a single one, but I do want to pick up The Winter Soldier, easily the best of the MCU.

In the past decade the only Disney movies I'd paid for are those three MCU movies, The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, which were both at matinee prices. I don't support Disney. I've spent more money on X-Men movies than Disney in that same time period, I think.

The only comic property I support is The Walking Dead, but there also aren't any super powers in it. Super powers are pretty dull to me.

fernandito
08-30-2019, 08:49 AM
I've only seen about half the Marvel movies. Usually on Netflix, which I don't pay for. Most of them are just okay, certainly not worth paying for. Only ones I paid for are Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War/Endgame. I don't own a single one, but I do want to pick up The Winter Soldier, easily the best of the MCU.

In the past decade the only Disney movies I'd paid for are those three MCU movies, The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, which were both at matinee prices. I don't support Disney. I've spent more money on X-Men movies than Disney in that same time period, I think.

The only comic property I support is The Walking Dead, but there also aren't any super powers in it. Super powers are pretty dull to me.

Wow. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. "Hey bro did you see the new Avengers movie? Man that shit was sick." "No. I don't subscribe to Disney's imperialistic musings of world domination." :rolleyes3:

All kidding aside tho, if Superhero things aren't your thing, then I guess it's just not your thing. Although I will say that it's a little myopic to paint everything with the same brush because there are some truly good to Great superhero films out there. Super powers are just facilitators to tell high-concept sagas. It's no different than Star Wars and Jedi/Sith abilities, or Lord of the Rings with wraiths, wizards, demons, magic etc.,

fernandito
08-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Also Matt, check out this interview with Todd Philips, whose directing Joker. I think it might alleviate some of your fears about the film and could potentially entice you to go and watch it. I think this will be another mold-breaking CBM.

In ‘Joker’ the stakes are life and death, and comic-book movies may never be the same (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-08-27/joker-todd-phillips-joaquin-phoenix)

Tommy
08-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe!

Hey, I'm a peaceful villain! :huglove:

(comes out from behind chair)

Why yes, mae, you are most glorious and simply magnificent in your grandeur and I bow before it. Nothing to worry about....:huglove:

(runs back behind chair)

Hunchback Jack
08-30-2019, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty much right in the middle when it comes to superhero movies or TV shows. I know nothing about the source material (or at least, I haven't read any of it), so I see them as entertaining and fun, but largely forgettable.

I think the MCU is an amazing achievement in succeeding (largely) in what it set out to do, and I think it will be remembered in retrospect for its spectacle and the scope of that ambition. But will the individual movies continue to be held up as examples of great movies? I doubt it. Personally, I've rarely had any desire to go back and rewatch them. Similarly with the TV shows - I've only seen a few of the series, and they are entertaining and fun, but not at the top of my list of "great TV". Jessica Jones and Daredevil come close - I think the early seasons, in particular, were really solid - but I will probably never rewatch them.

I'm probably an outlier, admittedly, in that I've never really been invested in Marvel as a franchise.

HBJ

Mattrick
08-30-2019, 05:15 PM

Wow. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. "Hey bro did you see the new Avengers movie? Man that shit was sick." "No. I don't subscribe to Disney's imperialistic musings of world domination." :rolleyes3:

All kidding aside tho, if Superhero things aren't your thing, then I guess it's just not your thing. Although I will say that it's a little myopic to paint everything with the same brush because there are some truly good to Great superhero films out there. Super powers are just facilitators to tell high-concept sagas. It's no different than Star Wars and Jedi/Sith abilities, or Lord of the Rings with wraiths, wizards, demons, magic etc.,

I enjoyed the last two Avengers movies and both Guardians films. Ragnarok was worth a watch. I write enjoyed Homecoming. The rest is pretty meh. There are some good superhero movies for sure, but most of them are just okay at best for me. I liked Thor Ragnarok, but I'll never watch it again, like most of the MCU I've seen. The movies coming out just hold no interest for me. Maybe they'll be good, but I'll watch for free.

I'm just not big on Fantasy stuff. It doesn't really interest me. Lord of the Rings is great because of his well it's made. I don't care about the lore at all. I think most superhero and fantasy stuff fails at telling a good story with good characters and over-relies on lore and world building and special powers, which I don't care about. I like Batman because Bruce Wayne is a fascinating character. Most comic book stuff loses me on character and meaning and it ends being being a lot of sound and colors with dialogue, and it goes in one ear and out the other.

I can't get excited for Joker because it's DC and they're going to need to make several good movies after the junk they've made if they expect me to care. If I hear good things I'll watch it for free eventually.

mae
09-01-2019, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJgSltWs7Tw

Mattrick
09-01-2019, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejGHLAbo_c

Newest Nerd Crew tackles Sony-Man, Star Wars, D23, and streaming services. I love The Nerd Crew so much. Hilarious stuff.

Hunchback Jack
09-01-2019, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejGHLAbo_c

Newest Nerd Crew tackles Sony-Man, Star Wars, D23, and streaming services. I love The Nerd Crew so much. Hilarious stuff.

I thought you might post this, Matt. It’s both funny and right on the money.

Mattrick
09-02-2019, 02:44 PM
I love The Nerd Crew so much. I'd been expecting a new episode to come out considering all the nerd crew stuff out there the past few weeks. I wish they did these more often, but the fact they only do a couple a year makes them that much more special.

Hunchback Jack
09-03-2019, 06:17 PM
I love The Nerd Crew so much. I'd been expecting a new episode to come out considering all the nerd crew stuff out there the past few weeks. I wish they did these more often, but the fact they only do a couple a year makes them that much more special.

I like the current frequency. I think it would get predictable pretty fast if it became more of a regular thing.

(Incidentally, the stock toy image on the Star Wars poster was unbelievable. I know that's off-topic, but ... geez.)

HBJ

mae
09-21-2019, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY15_rcd-IQ

mae
09-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Here's that Infinity Saga trailer Marvel played at San Diego. The quality is a bit sub-par because it was only posted on Twitter, but this is the best looking copy I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlbjBLAfQ8E

Hunchback Jack
09-21-2019, 04:10 PM
What is it a trailer for? A blu ray box set? Digital download package?

DanHocker
09-23-2019, 07:10 AM
What is it a trailer for? A blu ray box set? Digital download package?

I'm pretty sure it's for the box set that's supposedly coming out later this year.

fernandito
09-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Yours for only $899!

DanHocker
09-23-2019, 09:05 AM
My guess is that the standard blu-ray set will probably be 200 - 300. I think the Phase 1 and 2 sets were a $65 list price, but I think there's more movies in Phase 3 than either of those. Then of course there will probably be a collectors edition for an absurd amount of money.

mae
09-23-2019, 10:00 AM
That wasn't necessarily for anything, they just showed that reel prior to unveiling Phase 4, so just as kind of a recap for the folks at Hall H, get them all excited.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 07:55 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://screenrant.com/spiderman-return-mcu-marvel-movie-2021-release-date/?utm_content=buffer3922f&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-FB-P&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR3RV-rR4Jolez7ytfT-SvRsXsnmjXRbIBlba1Zs76EBYrbM6vdl7N8m3nM

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 07:55 AM
However... I wonder if this is a conclusion and not a new whole deal. Hope to see the terms soon!!!!

Kongo
09-27-2019, 07:57 AM
And just like that, all the wrong have been righted. Also before anyone gets the chance to bitch about how they don't like the MCU Spiderman movies, just let us have our win today.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 07:58 AM
And just like that, all the wrong have been righted. Also before anyone gets the chance to bitch about how they don't like the MCU Spiderman movies, just let us have our win today.

Who would even say that? He is the best one in the MCU for me hands down. Tom H is the fuckin man!

fernandito
09-27-2019, 08:08 AM
I knew it would happen, just didn't think it would happen this soon. Regardless, am glad to hear it.

Spider Man is going to be in a truly unique position as possibly the only hero that will jump back and forth between franchises.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 08:09 AM
I knew it would happen, just didn't think it would happen this soon. Regardless, am glad to hear it.

Spider Man is going to be in a truly unique position as possibly the only hero that will jump back and forth between franchises.

Meaning you think he will be in venom?

mae
09-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Feige's comments seem to suggest Spider-Man could very well appear in Sony's movies like Venom 2.

Kongo
09-27-2019, 08:35 AM
The deal is reportedly for the third Spider-Man film, as well as an additional MCU film. I've also heard rumblings they wanna use Spidey to make Captain Marvel more likeable

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/27/tom-holland-responds-to-spider-mans-return-to-the-mcu

DanHocker
09-27-2019, 09:43 AM
This is no surprise to me. I'm glad they figured it out so soon. Hopefully it was soon enough they won't have to delay anything they were originally planning on doing.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 09:45 AM
This is no surprise to me. I'm glad they figured it out so soon. Hopefully it was soon enough they won't have to delay anything they were originally planning on doing.

The worst part is I feel this is a "wrap up" deal Dan. I do not think we will get another 5+ films in the MCU with him and for me he is the highlight for sure. SO happy as I am... I wanna see the terms of the deal. lol

DanHocker
09-27-2019, 09:51 AM

The worst part is I feel this is a "wrap up" deal Dan. I do not think we will get another 5+ films in the MCU with him and for me he is the highlight for sure. SO happy as I am... I wanna see the terms of the deal. lol

Oh probably not, but realistically "outside of Avenger's movies" we've only gotten 3ish solo movies for any MCU character except Thor, who is getting a 4th. I just don't think we were ever gonna get Spidey 4, 5, and 6 from the MCU. We may get them from Sony though.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Oh probably not, but realistically "outside of Avenger's movies" we've only gotten 3ish solo movies for any MCU character except Thor, who is getting a 4th. I just don't think we were ever gonna get Spidey 4, 5, and 6 from the MCU. We may get them from Sony though.

no no I mean in any movie. Like him in Civil war.

DanHocker
09-27-2019, 10:33 AM

no no I mean in any movie. Like him in Civil war.

Right but if you think about it Cap got what 3 solo movie and 4 Avengers movies before he was out. Spidey is getting 3 Solo movies, 2 Avengers movies, Civil War, and 1 more. So that's the same number the gave Cap. So really it's not all the surprising. I mean as far as I'm aware they only plan on doing 1 more Guardians movie with the current roster as well. So I think 6 movies is probably all that can really be expected of any MCU character, any more than that is a bonus.

Mattrick
09-27-2019, 11:20 AM
What happened to my sweet, beloved Sony-Man?

Hunchback Jack
09-27-2019, 12:09 PM

It may be that allowing him to be present in the Sony-only villains movies was the door-opener to ongoing MCU involvement as well. That would be a smart move on Sony’s part.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 12:09 PM

It may be that allowing him to be present in the Sony-only villains movies was the door-opener to ongoing MCU involvement as well. That would be a smart move on Sony’s part.

Agreed

mae
09-27-2019, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzfZ5P8O50

mae
09-27-2019, 03:28 PM
https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-walt-disneys-marvel-team-on-third-spider-man-homecoming-title-with-superhero-to-appear-in-future-marvel-pics-1202746497/

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement Friday. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

We hear that as Sony progresses their own Marvel universe with titles likes Venom 2 and Sinister Six, and Disney/Marvel their own, there could be a “call and answer” between the two franchises as they acknowledge details between the two in what is would loosely be described as a shared detailed universe. Details on that are still early.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 03:30 PM
https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-walt-disneys-marvel-team-on-third-spider-man-homecoming-title-with-superhero-to-appear-in-future-marvel-pics-1202746497/

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement Friday. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

We hear that as Sony progresses their own Marvel universe with titles likes Venom 2 and Sinister Six, and Disney/Marvel their own, there could be a “call and answer” between the two franchises as they acknowledge details between the two in what is would loosely be described as a shared detailed universe. Details on that are still early.

Wow.
Do you take this to mean they will loosely share universes? BUT Sidperman will be in both?

mae
09-27-2019, 03:36 PM
I wanna say yes but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised. What's the point of having Venom, Sinister Six, Morbius, and others, if they don't eventually face Spider-Man?

Rjeso
09-30-2019, 04:01 PM
Just give me a Superior Foes movie and I'll be happy.

Though tbh, I'd prefer if the same people who did Into The Spider-Verse were the ones to handle it, not the Marvel folks...

Hunchback Jack
10-01-2019, 04:01 AM
I would take “loosely shared” to mean the same Spidey shows up in both, but will be strangely silent about the events and characters of the other universe.

webstar1000
10-01-2019, 04:10 AM
I would take “loosely shared” to mean the same Spidey shows up in both, but will be strangely silent about the events and characters of the other universe.

I tend to agree with this... I do but I can see 'loose' mentions of big events. Much like in Aquaman where they did that.

fernandito
10-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Spidey will most assuredly be in both franchises. MCU for the Avengers-level threats, and Sony for more 'intimate' villain stories.

Merlin1958
10-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Spidey will most assuredly be in both franchises. MCU for the Avengers-level threats, and Sony for more 'intimate' villain stories.

This seems about right, Ferny. Looking forward to more Spidey in the near future.

Iwritecode
10-07-2019, 07:38 AM
So I finally got to watch Far From Home last week. Last night a thought occurred to me regarding the end-credits scene.

Spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it:

So Mysterio publicly outed Peter Parker as Spider-Man. That got me to thinking about the original Iron Man movie where Tony basically had a press conference and announced that he was Iron Man. Then I started thinking about all the other Avengers. Do any of them really have a secret identity anymore? Is there a single Avenger anymore who the world doesn't know who they are in real life?

Captain America (he did PSAs for high schools and I'm pretty sure he's been seen without his mask on before), Hulk (he sits in coffee shops, signs autographs and takes selfies with fans), Dr. Strange (doesn't wear a mask, literally uses his real name), Thor (same), Black Widow (no mask), Scarlet Witch (no mask), Captain Marvel (no mask) Black Panther (wears a mask but has been seen publicly without it), Hawkeye (no mask), the list goes on and on...

I know the lore of Spiderman has always been that only a few people know his real identity but is it really that big of a deal at this point in the MCU? The only one that I can think of that may still have his identity as secret is Ant-Man. I'd have to watch the movies again to see for sure.

Although I do realize that we are talking about comic book stories where a guy can literally use a pair of glasses as a disguise **coughSupermancough** :wtf:

amd013
10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Surprised I haven't seen mention of this here yet (maybe in another thread?):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-infinity-saga-collectors-edition-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6384410.p?skuId=6384410

I really wished they would have announced this a few months ago. I literally just finished upgrading all my MCU movies to 4K (just got shipping notice for Dr. Strange from amazon about 10minutes ago).

Needless to say, won't drop another $550 for a nice box and one more extra disc of extras.

Wonder if there will be a black friday special for this? Looks like this is exclusive to Best buy? Wonder if there will be a non-collectors edition released.

mae
10-07-2019, 09:10 AM
https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6384/6384410_sa.jpg

fernandito
10-07-2019, 11:59 AM
The set itself is cool, but too expensive for something that's all going to be on Disney+ anyway.

Tommy
10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Someone should send Martin Scorsese that for Christmas this year. :innocent:

mae
10-07-2019, 06:51 PM
I don't think the Spider-Man movies will be on Disney+.

Mattrick
10-07-2019, 10:05 PM
I'll just pick up the few MCU movies I liked enough to own for cheap on DVD. If I find The Winter Soldier, Infinity War, and Guardians 2 I'll be happy enough.

Hunchback Jack
10-10-2019, 11:56 AM
I’m slowly making my way in order through the MCU movies in order, watching the ones I’ve missed and rewatching the ones I have.

Yesterday was Thor: The Dark World, and it was okay. It looked gorgeous, and while Natalie Portman was a bit of a flatline acting-wise, her relationship with Thor worked well enough. Hiddleston was great as Loki, as usual. The film was both fun and exciting, but some moments of humor created problems with tone. The biggest problems with the movie were the plot - we didn’t understand what the villain wanted until far too late, we didn’t understand what the threat of the Aether was, and the whole thing with the gravity sensors at the end wasn’t set up at all. So much of the film had little suspense, because we didn’t know the stakes, and the action scenes at the end, while fun, seemed to be a bit random and nonsensical.

2.5/5. Maybe 3.

HBJ

Tommy
10-10-2019, 01:59 PM
I’m slowly making my way in order through the MCU movies in order, watching the ones I’ve missed and rewatching the ones I have.

Yesterday was Thor: The Dark World, and it was okay. It looked gorgeous, and while Natalie Portman was a bit of a flatline acting-wise, her relationship with Thor worked well enough. Hiddleston was great as Loki, as usual. The film was both fun and exciting, but some moments of humor created problems with tone. The biggest problems with the movie were the plot - we didn’t understand what the villain wanted until far too late, we didn’t understand what the threat of the Aether was, and the whole thing with the gravity sensors at the end wasn’t set up at all. So much of the film had little suspense, because we didn’t know the stakes, and the action scenes at the end, while fun, seemed to be a bit random and nonsensical.

2.5/5. Maybe 3.

HBJ

One of the worst ones IMO. However, Thor:Ragnarok is one of my favorites. I've seen that one many times.

Hunchback Jack
10-11-2019, 03:20 AM
Needless to say, won't drop another $550 for a nice box and one more extra disc of extras.

$550 seems awfully steep. That's over $20 per movie. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them separately?

HBJ

DanHocker
10-11-2019, 06:06 AM

$550 seems awfully steep. That's over $20 per movie. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them separately?

HBJ

It is actually cheaper. The 4k Blu Ray's run about $29 a disc. So assuming you don't own the 4k discs, and you are gonna buy them all anyways, then it looks like you'd be saving about $6 a disc.

Hunchback Jack
10-11-2019, 08:57 AM

HBJ

It is actually cheaper. The 4k Blu Ray's run about $29 a disc. So assuming you don't own the 4k discs, and you are gonna buy them all anyways, then it looks like you'd be saving about $6 a disc.

Oh, cool. Then I’m tempted. Might wait for Thanksgiving on the off chance there’s a sale.

DanHocker
10-11-2019, 10:15 AM
I also wouldn't be surprised if they release a regular Blu Ray (non collectors edition) box set at some point as well. Probably still be really expensive though.

webstar1000
10-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Did the re-watch of Winter Soldier. Sorry it’s good... but still not in my top 3. Top 5? Maybe 5..... maybe.

Hunchback Jack
10-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Did the re-watch of Winter Soldier. Sorry it’s good... but still not in my top 3. Top 5? Maybe 5..... maybe.

That's my next watch. Looking forward to it, even if it's only in your top 10.

I thought I had seen The Incredible Hulk (the second MCU film), but I watched it the other day, and nothing rang any bells. I must have been thinking of the Ang Lee film, even though I was sure I wasn't.

Anyway, I thought it was fine. Solid, even. CG looks very dated now, of course, but the main players did a fine job, the pacing was perfect and the story was interesting (although it suffered from the "Hulk must face a BIGGERER Hulk" trope that fans had just seen in Iron Man).

3.5/5. Didn't blow me away, but was an enjoyable and well-made flick.

Edited to add: oh, btw, I really liked Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, and appreciated the easter egg references to previous Hulk incarnations.

HBJ

fernandito
10-15-2019, 07:56 AM

The WS is the best film in the MCU. How is this possible?

DanHocker
10-15-2019, 08:13 AM

The WS is the best film in the MCU. How is this possible?

I used to listen to a bunch of comic book podcasts, a lot of people argue for Guardians, Iron Man 1, and Avengers 1. Though I suspect Infinity War and Endgame get a lot of that number 1 spot mentions now.

amd013
10-15-2019, 10:57 AM
For what its worth, here is a ranking of the rotten tomatoes scores. Its annoying they way they are counted, as ties are counted as 1 position, so the "worst" is number 16 and not 23, since there were several ties above it.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/blog/ranking-the-marvel-movies-on-rotten-tomatoes-infinity-war

WS is tied for 10th (if you count correctly). For me its definetly not in the top 5 probably not in top 10 either. Personally, I find the WS (the character, not the movie), to be one of the least interesting in the MCU.

Iron Man is tied for 2nd.

webstar1000
10-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Endgame is my fav. I’m also a HUGE fan of the last Spiderman. Thor Ragnrock is high. I liked Guardians one which is high on my list (thought the second was bad) and Civil War. Those are my top is say.
Th

DanHocker
10-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Thor Ragnarock, Infinity War / Endgame (I'm counting this as one movie), and Avengers 1. Probably in that order are my top 5, the top 10 probably rounds out with Guardians 1, Black Panther, Captain America 1, Civil War, and Ant-man 1 (in no particular order).

webstar1000
10-16-2019, 06:30 AM
Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Thor Ragnarock, Infinity War / Endgame (I'm counting this as one movie), and Avengers 1. Probably in that order are my top 5, the top 10 probably rounds out with Guardians 1, Black Panther, Captain America 1, Civil War, and Ant-man 1 (in no particular order).

I rate Infinity and Engame same too.... Crazy how different our lists are!

fernandito
10-16-2019, 08:38 AM
My top 5 are

1. Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Infinity War/End Game
5. Civil War

mae
10-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Here's the overall ranking based on Letterboxd scores (probably the best critical resource of them all):

Avengers: Endgame 4.08
Avengers: Infinity War 3.98
Guardians of the Galaxy 3.87
Thor: Ragnarok 3.83
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3.8
Iron Man 3.76
Black Panther 3.74
The Avengers 3.72
Spider-Man: Far from Home 3.7
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3.69
Captain America: Civil War 3.66
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 3.6
Doctor Strange 3.45
Ant-Man 3.37
Captain Marvel 3.36
Captain America: The First Avenger 3.33
Ant-Man and the Wasp 3.29
Iron Man 3 3.16
Avengers: Age of Ultron 3.15
Thor 3.03
Iron Man 2 2.93
Thor: The Dark World 2.71
The Incredible Hulk 2.65

webstar1000
10-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Here's the overall ranking based on Letterboxd scores (probably the best critical resource of them all):

Avengers: Endgame 4.08
Avengers: Infinity War 3.98
Guardians of the Galaxy 3.87
Thor: Ragnarok 3.83
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3.8
Iron Man 3.76
Black Panther 3.74
The Avengers 3.72
Spider-Man: Far from Home 3.7
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3.69
Captain America: Civil War 3.66
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 3.6
Doctor Strange 3.45
Ant-Man 3.37
Captain Marvel 3.36
Captain America: The First Avenger 3.33
Ant-Man and the Wasp 3.29
Iron Man 3 3.16
Avengers: Age of Ultron 3.15
Thor 3.03
Iron Man 2 2.93
Thor: The Dark World 2.71
The Incredible Hulk 2.65

NEverheard of this... what is Letterbox?

fernandito
10-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Isn't Letterbox for the everyday movie lover? It's essentially a social networking site for film lovers.

mae
11-01-2019, 03:19 PM
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1108103-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-sequel-release-date-revealed

Sony Pictures has officially revealed the release date for their Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sequel to the Oscar-winning animated film. It is set to open on April 8, 2022, where it will open a week ahead of Marvel Studios’ Black Panther 2. Check out the full announcement video below!

April 8, 2022 #SpiderVerse pic.twitter.com/FC5nVIuciB

— Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (@SpiderVerse) November 1, 2019

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1108091-peyton-reed-will-direct-ant-man-3-for-marvel-studios

Although Ant-Man and the Wasp are sitting out of Marvel’s Phase 4, it looks like they will be back for Phase 5. According to The Hollywood Reporter, director Peyton Reed will return to helm Ant-Man 3. Reed originally took over the first Ant-Man from Edgar Wright when he had creative differences with Marvel. In 2018, Reed returned for the sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Presumably both Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly will reprise their respective roles as Ant-Man and the Wasp. The pair recently lent their voices to the Avengers: Damage Control VR experience. Both characters were also a part of Avengers: Endgame, although Rudd’s Scott Lang had the bigger role. That film notably introduced Emma Fuhrmann as Scott’s now-teenage daughter, Cassie Lang.

In the comics, Cassie eventually gained size-changing powers of her own and took on the codenames Stature and Stinger. But if Reed wants to keep the film series’ naming motif, we would suggest Ant-Man, the Wasp and Giant-Girl as the title.

Marvel Studios has yet to comment on THR’s story, but it’s a good bet that Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer would also reprise their roles as Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne. Scott’s partners, Luis (Michael Peña), Dave (Tip “T.I.” Harris), and Kurt (David Dastmalchian) would also be contenders to return alongside Judy Greer as Maggie and Bobby Cannavale as Jim.

Ant-Man 3 doesn’t have a date yet, or an official title. But it will likely arrive in either 2022 or 2023.

Merlin1958
11-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Fun with the Internet or how to fix "Avengers: Endgame". Just a little light hearted mental masturbation..........................

https://www.aintitcool.com/masked-man-endgame-issues-video-82608/

Edit: Oops!!!! Fixed the link!!! Check it out. I thought it was a pretty funny and interesting article worth a "Click" and a read!!!

Mattrick
11-15-2019, 12:06 AM
The Winter Soldier is definitely the best MCU film.

Endgame being in the #1 spot on letterboxd is definitely a product of what I consider "the fangasm". It's a fine movie, sure, but it isn't better than Infinity War. All the Disney pushing for Endgame to get a best picture nomination and all those acting nominations...no, just no. It doesn't deserve a best picture nomination and it certainly doesn't deserve any acting nominations. I didn't think anyone stood out near enough to earn one and I don't think the material was strong enough to justify it. The performances are perfectly fine, but they ain't oscar worthy. It seems considering how many people seem to want it to get nominations, they're thinking with it as being a great film because it was the end of an era and it was emotional because it was the end of an era, but on its own merits, it isn't an emotional film. Infinity War earned emotional reactions based on the strong filmmaking and storytelling. Like, I felt more when Thanos tossed Gamorah off the edge than Black Widow/Hawkeye's battle to see who'll jump. To clarify all this, I mean that a film being emotional because of stock a fanbase has placed in a long series over a decade isn't the same as a film itself getting an emotional reaction...one is internally generated, one is a product of the external film.

Mattrick
11-15-2019, 12:22 AM

Endgame being in the #1 spot on letterboxd is definitely a product of what I consider "the fangasm". It's a fine movie, sure, but it isn't better than Infinity War. All the Disney pushing for Endgame to get a best picture nomination and all those acting nominations...no, just no. It doesn't deserve a best picture nomination and it certainly doesn't deserve any acting nominations. I didn't think anyone stood out near enough to earn one and I don't think the material was strong enough to justify it. The performances are perfectly fine, but they ain't oscar worthy. It seems considering how many people seem to want it to get nominations, they're thinking with it as being a great film because it was the end of an era and it was emotional because it was the end of an era, but on its own merits, it isn't an emotional film. Infinity War earned emotional reactions based on the strong filmmaking and storytelling. Like, I felt more when Thanos tossed Gamorah off the edge than Black Widow/Hawkeye's battle to see who'll jump. To clarify all this, I mean that a film being emotional because of stock a fanbase has placed in a long series over a decade isn't the same as a film itself getting an emotional reaction...one is internally generated, one is a product of the external film.

webstar1000
11-15-2019, 04:40 AM

Negative. It is maybe for you.. def not for me. Endgame is and letterbox has it right!

WeDealInLead
11-15-2019, 05:33 AM
Endgame reminded me why I stopped reading superhero comics: dead is never quite dead. The inevitable ressurection, restart, reboot always robs me of the emotional impact of a supe's death/major traumatizing event.

Mattrick's final sentence in that wall of text is a great summary of the movie. I feel the same about The Stand.

Kongo
11-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Winter Soldier is my favorite Marvel movie too! I have to say Infinity war and Endgame are pure comic book bliss put to screen though. I'm so damn thankful they turned out as good as they did, especially since it's something we've always wanted to see committed to a big screen for the longest time. If I could show my younger self any particular movies from the future, it would probably be those two. They're by no means perfect movies, but it doesn't matter

Mattrick
11-15-2019, 06:36 PM

Negative. It is maybe for you.. def not for me. Endgame is and letterbox has it right!

For me and a lot of people that think Infinity War is the superior film, because it is. But I understand why people put "the end" of a saga on such a pedestal because of their own emotional investment in the saga. It's just that Endgame has some key issues and things that don't quite work, and the climactic battle is kind of a mess. Infinity War start to finish told a better story, had a better progression of events, balanced an even bigger cast better than Endgame, and did it all with 20 less. minutes. The action scenes in Infinity War were much easier to follow and followed a logical progression of events and told their own stories. Endgame's final battle was just as much on the screen as possible and none of it really means anything. In the end it just had too much too juggle for one film that made it impossible to juggle it all without hurting the film itself.

Endgame is #5 on my MCU list. It was a satisfactory conclusion that means I don't have to watch Phase Four of the MCU, which makes me happy. The best MCU movie it is not. I wouldn't even put it in the same category with The Winter Soldier, let alone Infinity War.

webstar1000
11-15-2019, 06:43 PM

For me and a lot of people that think Infinity War is the superior film, because it is. But I understand why people put "the end" of a saga on such a pedestal because of their own emotional investment in the saga. It's just that Endgame has some key issues and things that don't quite work, and the climactic battle is kind of a mess. Infinity War start to finish told a better story, had a better progression of events, balanced an even bigger cast better than Endgame, and did it all with 20 less. minutes. The action scenes in Infinity War were much easier to follow and followed a logical progression of events and told their own stories. Endgame's final battle was just as much on the screen as possible and none of it really means anything. In the end it just had too much too juggle for one film that made it impossible to juggle it all without hurting the film itself.

Endgame is #5 on my MCU list. It was a satisfactory conclusion that means I don't have to watch Phase Four of the MCU, which makes me happy. The best MCU movie it is not. I wouldn't even put it in the same category with The Winter Soldier, let alone Infinity War.

And that’s why we all have opinions my friend. I even took your (I think) advice and tried Winter again and it’s not even in my top 5. Strange how that goes eh

Merlin1958
11-16-2019, 01:29 AM
I hope this is the right place to post this but, I signed up for the new "Disney+" streaming service. I'm bopping around, checking out the content and I came across "The Inhumans". I only had time to watch the 1st episode and add it to my watch list, but what the hell? Cine-philes don't jump all over me, but what is up with the cinematography (?) for this series? The first chase sequence seemed like some kind of CGI/Animation over live action or straight CGI/Animation like has been done on some past Video game movies (Final Fantasy?). It wasn't bad like those were, but really pretty fucking cool!!!! Even after that initial sequence the rest of the episode still felt like it had some sort of "Enhanced Live action filming" (?). There was just that extra "something to it.

Any of you expert film guys have any idea what I'm trying to describe? Does the "process" or whatever have some proper name to it or am I just some crazy old fuck (probably very likely!! lol) who doesn't know what he's describing or talking about? Has anyone seen this show and know what I mean? Anyway, beside's all that I liked it and the show and will be giving it a shot for more episodes when I get a chance.

If anyone out there is familiar with this show, please chime in by all means!!!

mae
11-17-2019, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBB4p2Mps3k

Iwritecode
11-18-2019, 06:05 AM
I hope this is the right place to post this but, I signed up for the new "Disney+" streaming service. I'm bopping around, checking out the content and I came across "The Inhumans". I only had time to watch the 1st episode and add it to my watch list, but what the hell? Cine-philes don't jump all over me, but what is up with the cinematography (?) for this series? The first chase sequence seemed like some kind of CGI/Animation over live action or straight CGI/Animation like has been done on some past Video game movies (Final Fantasy?). It wasn't bad like those were, but really pretty fucking cool!!!! Even after that initial sequence the rest of the episode still felt like it had some sort of "Enhanced Live action filming" (?). There was just that extra "something to it.

Any of you expert film guys have any idea what I'm trying to describe? Does the "process" or whatever have some proper name to it or am I just some crazy old fuck (probably very likely!! lol) who doesn't know what he's describing or talking about? Has anyone seen this show and know what I mean? Anyway, beside's all that I liked it and the show and will be giving it a shot for more episodes when I get a chance.

Apparently it was meant for IMAX, but not all the scenes were filmed in IMAX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LFuEqDKAA

DanHocker
11-18-2019, 06:58 AM

I watched some of it. It only got like half a season and was pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure it was universally trashed by critics and viewers. As far as the cinematography goes, I believe the first 2 episodes (or just first episode I can't remember) were shot and released in IMAX about a month before the show aired. I think the rest of the show was filmed normally. It was supposed to tie into the MCU and Agents of SHIELD, but the MCU ignored it (like they do all the TV shows) and Agents of SHIELD ignored it as well. It was honestly one of the worst comic book TV shows I've ever seen.

mae
11-18-2019, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62IXppFCu8

Merlin1958
11-18-2019, 10:36 AM

I watched some of it. It only got like half a season and was pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure it was universally trashed by critics and viewers. As far as the cinematography goes, I believe the first 2 episodes (or just first episode I can't remember) were shot and released in IMAX about a month before the show aired. I think the rest of the show was filmed normally. It was supposed to tie into the MCU and Agents of SHIELD, but the MCU ignored it (like they do all the TV shows) and Agents of SHIELD ignored it as well. It was honestly one of the worst comic book TV shows I've ever seen.

Okay, I see. Thanks for the head's up as well. I only watched the first episode and was gonna give it a try. Now I won't bother. Any animated suggestions worth watching?

DanHocker
11-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Okay, I see. Thanks for the head's up as well. I only watched the first episode and was gonna give it a try. Now I won't bother. Any animated suggestions worth watching?

Unfortunately I haven't seen many of the modern Marvel animated shows.

mae
11-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Marvel Rising is good and features Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), who will feature in the next phase of the MCU.

mae
12-03-2019, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4

fernandito
12-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Looks good.

webstar1000
12-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Looks very good.

Mattrick
12-03-2019, 06:27 PM
That trailer did absolutely nothing for me. I can't wait for Phase 5. Maybe it will have something to offer me. Looking like Endgame is the end of my time with the Marvel.

webstar1000
12-04-2019, 05:08 AM
That trailer did absolutely nothing for me. I can't wait for Phase 5. Maybe it will have something to offer me. Looking like Endgame is the end of my time with the Marvel.

omf your negative about everything man (other than Negan. :tongue:) ! That did nothing at all for you? Come on.... it looks good.

amd013
12-04-2019, 08:25 AM

omf your negative about everything man (other than Negan. :tongue:) ! That did nothing at all for you? Come on.... it looks good.

Actually, I think this is one of the few upcoming marvel movies I am looking forward to.

mae
12-04-2019, 08:32 AM
This is certainly not Endgame-epic but looks exciting and cool! Cannot wait! :excited: IMAX 2D May 1st here I come!

fernandito
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM

*yawwwwwwwwwwwwn strettttttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

Oh what's this? Another Mattrick "I'm done with Marvel" post? Ah snaps. Lemme go back to sleep.

Merlin1958
12-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Pay no attention to him, Kris he thinks a slow motion film of a horse taking a dump is great cinema!!! lol

WeDealInLead
12-04-2019, 01:49 PM
If Negan's riding the horse, sure.

That said, he always explains why he likes or dislikes something, and that I can dig.

The trailer looks okay, I'll watch it at home in a couple years.

DanHocker
12-05-2019, 08:33 AM
My biggest problem here is that it's a prequel. Had they released this before Infinity War or Endgame I'd have a higher "hype level". As it stands, I think it looks good and I'll see it, but I can't say I'm excited for it.

Mattrick
12-06-2019, 10:05 AM
My biggest problem here is that it's a prequel. Had they released this before Infinity War or Endgame I'd have a higher "hype level". As it stands, I think it looks good and I'll see it, but I can't say I'm excited for it.

That's a big issue for me. Seems pointless and too late. It seems I'm supposed to care because it's Marvel. You can get away with a prequel to introduce a new character like Captain Marvel. Not one who has been in like 9 MCU films and gone.

This movie could end up being good, but I didn't find the trailer at all impressive or intriguing. And the action scene falling through the sky at the end was just the nail for me. That just ain't Black Widow for me. Looks forced over the top. And her family plotline? Why should I care now? 3-5 years ago sure. Seems utterly pointless now. The whole movie looks forced. And that's a shame. ScarJo deserved her own film way before this.

Mattrick
12-06-2019, 10:19 AM

I'm positive about tons of stuff. I'm just not easily impressed by bad jokes and special effects. Considering we live in a period where we're getting John Wick films and Mad Max Fury Road, and the MCU is coming off an impressive 5 year run with some really good comic book films, this just looks uninspired and boring. The scene where she fights the girl and walks away after and says "sis" is such awful writing I almost shut the trailer off. So obvious and lame and that was engineered to pop me.

When an MCU film is worthy of praise, I give it to them. I ain't feeling this one or the entire Phase. Maybe the "first MCU horror film" with Doctor Strange will be good, but that's about it for me right now. I'm certainly not watching any of the TV shows, even Hawkeye who is the best even though they screwed the pooch on him in Endgame.

mae
12-06-2019, 10:32 AM
I think the point of this isn't so much that it's a prequel to Black Widow, it's setting up her sister Yelena, who will be the new Black Widow in the future. That's just my guess.

DanHocker
12-06-2019, 10:54 AM
I think the point of this isn't so much that it's a prequel to Black Widow, it's setting up her sister Yelena, who will be the new Black Widow in the future. That's just my guess.

I kinda like that even less. I don't really like when they do this stuff in the comics. We don't need a new Black Widow, Iron Man, or Captain America. Don't bring in new people to replace the old heroes, just let the old heroes be gone and the new people be their own thing.

WeDealInLead
12-06-2019, 11:15 AM

I kinda like that even less. I don't really like when they do this stuff in the comics. We don't need a new Black Widow, Iron Man, or Captain America. Don't bring in new people to replace the old heroes, just let the old heroes be gone and the new people be their own thing.

Yes, yes, yes to all this.

Except Batman. He gets a pass because he's the OG.

DanHocker
12-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Yes, yes, yes to all this.

Except Batman. He gets a pass because he's the OG.

Well I think recasting is fine. But I'm not really down for Dick Grayson Batman. So like with the hand off of Cap's shield to Sam. I say just let Sam be Falcon and Cap be gone. Sam doesn't need to be the new Cap. If you wanna keep Captain America around then maybe don't write him out of the story and just recast the actor. You had the perfect excuse with all the timeline nonsense going on to explain why he looks different.

WeDealInLead
12-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Yes, recasting is fine. Not every actor is available, interested etc. Batman gets a pass from me because other than a handful of people no one really knows his identity. I just finished The Dark Knight trilogy yesterday and Wayne even says (repeatedly) that the point of Batman is that Batman could be anyone and it's more about the symbol than who's behind the cowl.

That said, yes, I'm not a big fan of anyone other than Wayne as Batman. Grayson became a much more interesting character when he stopped being Batman.

mae
12-06-2019, 11:57 AM
The thing is that Yelena is not taking over Nat's Black Widow. She also is a Black Window. It's the Russian super spy program and they're both agents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Widow_%28Yelena_Belova%29

DanHocker
12-06-2019, 12:19 PM
The thing is that Yelena is not taking over Nat's Black Widow. She also is a Black Window. It's the Russian super spy program and they're both agents.

I get that, but the title just became more than that though. Nat wasn't just a "Black Widow" she was "Black Widow". I dunno we'll see I guess. It just doesn't excite me. Like I said though I'll still see it, I just kinda doubt I'll care about Yelena's character at all.

Mattrick
12-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Yes, but they've seem to have fabricated a whole family dynamic which just screams of lazy writing to me. Laziest way to develop tension and earn character dynamics. It robs Yelena of any individuality. She will always just be Black Widows lil sis. It would be once thing if, like Nebula and Gamora, they had several films to develop as individuals and sisters.

If they'd taken the time to make Natashya more than a side character and developed the whole Russian side of things, which could've easily tied in with The Winter Soldier, they wouldn't have to resort to such laziness. This trailer just reminded me how ScarJo and her character were short-changed in the MCU and this is easy to little, too late for me. As a non-marvel fan, I can't be excited just because these comic characters are in the movie. I need a narrative reason to care beyond Black Widows kooky spy family.

With Florence Pugh I just see a weird Marvel tale on Fighting With My Family lol

mae
01-05-2020, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc90c2hTgg0