fernandito
06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Alien
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Alien_movie_poster.jpg

The Exorcist
http://dailygrindhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/THE-EXORCIST-1973.jpg

Heather19
06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Went with The Exorcist. While it's not my favorite horror film, I thought it had a lot more "horror" to it than Alien. I should really go rewatch Alien sometime soon though.

mae
06-10-2014, 09:08 AM
When we do our sci-fi tournament, is Alien prohibited from being nominated?

Heather19
06-10-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't think so. I personally consider it way more of a sci-fi film.

Jean
06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
at last bears can vote for The Exorcist

needfulthings
06-10-2014, 10:16 AM
?????????:unsure:
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/5779/xjrs.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img819/5853/eya3.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img842/3139/8r1xd.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img855/3043/iysx.jpg

frik
06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Alien!
A very scary movie - which The Exorcist isn't..

sk

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I thought Aliens was the better film in the series.

Tommy
06-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Exorcist

Jean
06-10-2014, 01:42 PM
tied

fernandito
06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Come on Alien, let's get the lead again!

Mattrick
06-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Come on Alien, let's get the lead again!

To the Exorcist...as per my vote....GET AWAY FROM THE LEAD, YOU BITCH! (Aliens reference but whatever)

fernandito
06-11-2014, 07:13 AM
GET AWAY FROM THE LEAD, YOU BITCH! (Aliens reference but whatever)

http://i.imgur.com/Oddmd2U.gif

Ricky
06-11-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't really care for either (gasp! the horror!), but preferred The Exorcist to Alien.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-11-2014, 09:39 AM
I hope that there are reasonable people here who have not voted.:emot-butt:

Ben Staad
06-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Alien with the lead and in my opinion the better scary movie.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Pffffft!

Jean
06-12-2014, 12:32 AM
The Exorcist needs two more votes

now

fernandito
06-12-2014, 02:27 PM
bumpity bump!

mae
06-13-2014, 07:50 AM
These semi-finals are very tight (as they should be). One is currently tied and the other is separated by one vote.

Odetta
06-14-2014, 07:44 AM
You... Are... My... Lucky... Star.... Lucky lucky lucky

needfulthings
06-14-2014, 09:27 AM
1979 ALIEN PIN BACK.
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/7397/ydoc.jpg

Jean
06-14-2014, 10:55 PM
grrrr.... things are not looking very good...

frik
06-15-2014, 12:33 AM
To the contrary! Things are looking very fine indeed!

sk

needfulthings
06-15-2014, 10:30 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4016/9kkh.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img841/2978/fg1qa.jpg

needfulthings
06-15-2014, 10:50 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img822/63/i0u0d.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img856/184/arkv.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img842/541/sg0bs.jpg

barlow
06-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Alien! I love both of these films they are both on my top 10 favorite move list. I can't say Alien is a better film than the Exorcist, but I like it better!

Ken

barlow
06-16-2014, 06:50 AM

I have had the discussion with several friends over the years of which is better Alien or Aliens. What I have noticed at least with my friends is that the horror fans like Alien and the sci-fi fans prefer Aliens. And I think it makes sense I have always thought of alien as a great horror/monster movie that happens to be set in space. Where Aliens has always felt more like a sci-fi movie with critters. I like them both but for different reasons.

Ken

fernandito
06-16-2014, 07:53 AM

I have had the discussion with several friends over the years of which is better Alien or Aliens. What I have noticed at least with my friends is that the horror fans like Alien and the sci-fi fans prefer Aliens. And I think it makes sense I have always thought of alien as a great horror/monster movie that happens to be set in space. Where Aliens has always felt more like a sci-fi movie with critters. I like them both but for different reasons.

Ken

I'm infinitely more of a sci-fi guy, I still consider Alien the better film. To borrow a phrase from the series, "it's structural perfection is matched only by it's hostility".

What makes it such a milestone of horror is that feeling of unease (which ultimately morphs to dread and outright terror) right from the get go. From the very beginning you sense that something is wrong and the tension ramps up as the movie progresses. The Alien's design itself is a stroke of genius. It has no defining civil or human traits - although it's structure is strangely human - it is a cold, calculating, emotionless, ruthless killer.

My goodness, what a film. Hell I want to get home and watch it now.

Merlin1958
06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
This is a miscarriage of justice. "Alien" is a "Sci-Fi/Horror" flick and "The Exorcist " is a true to life, traditional horror movie. If "Alien" wins, I call "foul"!!!!!

Then again, I suppose the "masses rule". Truly sad. :nope:

barlow
06-16-2014, 08:31 PM

Ken

I'm infinitely more of a sci-fi guy, I still consider Alien the better film. To borrow a phrase from the series, "it's structural perfection is matched only by it's hostility".

What makes it such a milestone of horror is that feeling of unease (which ultimately morphs to dread and outright terror) right from the get go. From the very beginning you sense that something is wrong and the tension ramps up as the movie progresses. The Alien's design itself is a stroke of genius. It has no defining civil or human traits - although it's structure is strangely human - it is a cold, calculating, emotionless, ruthless killer.

My goodness, what a film. Hell I want to get home and watch it now.

I guess I should have added my sci-fi friends I have had these discussions with were all friends from school and are all engineers. They would always point out that stuff wound more implode than explode, that the Borg cube is awesome because in space it would fly as well as a traditional looking ship, etc. So They would geek out over the massive ships that the marines had, and other design choices that Cameron made that were better than Ridley Scott's stylistic choices. I on the other hand was all about the story, Alien scared me when I first saw it as a kid. But the your description of why Alien is so good is right on. I didn't feel Aliens evoked the same feeling of unease evolving into out and out terror. But it is still a great Sci-fi action movie with slight horror undertones, while is a horror movie in space.

Ken

Jean
06-17-2014, 04:34 AM
This is a miscarriage of justice. "Alien" is a "Sci-Fi/Horror" flick and "The Exorcist " is a true to life, traditional horror movie. If "Alien" wins, I call "foul"!!!!!

Then again, I suppose the "masses rule". Truly sad. :nope:
bears are extremely surprised at this outcome. Really really hoped The Exorcist would win!

Heather19
06-17-2014, 04:40 AM
I actually thought The Exorcist would win the entire thing.

Jean
06-17-2014, 04:56 AM
I had hoped the same

divemaster
06-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Alien got my vote.

Jean
06-17-2014, 05:41 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif.html)

mae
06-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Almost the same results in the two polls.

Ricky
06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Ah, poop. Oh well, at least it's going up against Psycho.

(Aside: I never really thought of Alien as horror, but it seems like plenty of people do.)

fernandito
06-17-2014, 01:14 PM
It is most definitely a horror film.

Ricky
06-17-2014, 02:02 PM
I would disagree with that. Tense, maybe. But horror? Nah.

fernandito
06-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Let's just ignore that it's on EVERY best horror list ever made lol.

Ricky
06-17-2014, 03:09 PM
There are some people that say Twilight is a horror film, so...

It's all in perspective.

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 04:38 PM

That doesn't necessarily make them right. Look, they label, Stephen King a "Horror writer", nut he has written other novels that are not really "Horror". Just because a few knuckleheads with a degree decree something on a list somewhere does not make it gospel. JMHO

Edit: What do you consider "Dreamcatcher" to be? Sci-fi or horror? Or will you suspend your opinion and go with what the "lists" say?

fernandito
06-17-2014, 05:11 PM
There are some people that say Twilight is a horror film, so...

It's all in perspective.

Wait, who considers it horror? I've never heard that.

fernandito
06-17-2014, 05:12 PM

That doesn't necessarily make them right. Look, they label, Stephen King a "Horror writer", nut he has written other novels that are not really "Horror". Just because a few knuckleheads with a degree decree something on a list somewhere does not make it gospel. JMHO

Edit: What do you consider "Dreamcatcher" to be? Sci-fi or horror? Or will you suspend your opinion and go with what the "lists" say?
You're comparing Kings entire body of work, we're citing one specific film.

In this case, this film is a horror.

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 05:17 PM

No, I was giving an example. Not comparing one film vs. a body of work. And BTW who are you the Lord our God to make such a proclamation? I do not mean any offense, but you can't just declare it and it is fact. There is room for debate on the subject is all I was saying.

Oh, and also, almost every "Best" list ever created is self serving to some degree. Either by way of commerce or bias to some degree. Hardly a true guide to reality.

fernandito
06-17-2014, 05:23 PM

No, I was giving an example. Not comparing one film vs. a body of work. And BTW who are you the Lord our God to make such a proclamation? I do not mean any offense, but you can't just declare it and it is fact. There is room for debate on the subject is all I was saying.

Oh, and also, almost every "Best" list ever created is self serving to some degree. Either by way of commerce or bias to some degree. Hardly a true guide to reality.

lol wtf? when did I proclaim myself Lord of anything? aren't we debating this right now?

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 05:28 PM

lol wtf? when did I proclaim myself Lord of anything? aren't we debating this right now?

Well, maybe I mistook your intent, but then what do I make of a statement like this?

"In this case, this film is a horror."

I know posting can be difficult in being able to discern attitude, but it seemed to me you intended to end all discussion. My bad.

In any case, you didn't answer my question. What do you consider "Dreamcatcher" to be? Sci-Fi or Horror?

fernandito
06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Well, maybe I mistook your intent, but then what do I make of a statement like this?

I know posting can be difficult in being able to discern attitude, but it seemed to me you intended to end all discussion. My bad.

In any case, you didn't answer my question. What do you consider "Dreamcatcher" to be? Sci-Fi or Horror?
Well yeah, I'm not going to end every statement with 'in my opinion', I mean I assume that's implied.

Dreamcather is sci-fi.

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Well yeah, I'm not going to end every statement with 'in my opinion', I mean I assume that's implied.

Dreamcather is sci-fi.

Well there you go then. Dreamcatchers' plot premise is "Sci-Fi". So is "Alien", even down to the, what could be called "Horror" elements, The delivery of the monster and its birth. It's alien biology, no? Yes, there is quite a bit of suspense, but that does not constitute "Horror. Also the entire plot premise is "Sci-Fi" set in the future, in space and traveling to distant planets and meeting new organisms. If "Alien" is "horror" then so is "War Of the Worlds". See what I mean?

Edit: Also, seems to me that we maybe should consider to agree to disagree?

fernandito
06-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Well there you go then. Dreamcatchers' plot premise is "Sci-Fi". So is "Alien", even down to the, what could be called "Horror" elements, The delivery of the monster and its birth. It's alien biology, no? Yes, there is quite a bit of suspense, but that does not constitute "Horror. Also the entire plot premise is "Sci-Fi" set in the future, in space and traveling to distant planets and meeting new organisms. If "Alien" is "horror" then so is "War Of the Worlds". See what I mean?
I think we'll both argue this point to death without either side changing their minds. As we've seen with the nominations in this tournament, the horror genre is wide and encompasses many different facets of film making. It has no true, set parameters.

Alien the film has been discussed and dissected as a Horror film, it has all the hallmarks of one. The gradual revealing of the killer, the increasing body count as the film progresses (typically with the protagonists being picked off one by one which is a staple of the genre), the killer being a relentless, seemingly unstoppable force of nature. The fact that it also exists in the realm of sci fi does not mean that it is NOT also a horror film.

The difference between Alien and Dreamcatcher is the former centers on the unknown lurker and the feeling of paranoia, isolation, and helplessness the protagonists find themselves in; the second fully embraces it's science fiction roots as it deals with telepathy, transfiguration, mind reading. The focus is never on Mr. Grey lurking in the shadows dispatching our would be heroes.

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 06:01 PM
I think we'll both argue this point to death without either side changing their minds. As we've seen with the nominations in this tournament, the horror genre is wide and encompasses many different facets of film making. It has no true, set parameters.

Alien the film has been discussed and dissected as a Horror film, it has all the hallmarks of one. The gradual revealing of the killer, the increasing body count as the film progresses (typically with the protagonists being picked off one by one which is a staple of the genre), the killer being a relentless, seemingly unstoppable force of nature. The fact that it also exists in the realm of sci fi does not mean that it is NOT also a horror film.

The difference between Alien and Dreamcatcher is the former centers on the unknown lurker and the feeling of paranoia, isolation, and helplessness the protagonists find themselves in; the second fully embraces it's science fiction roots as it deals with telepathy, transfiguration, mind reading. The focus is never on Mr. Grey lurking in the shadows dispatching our would be heroes.

So, we agree to disagree. Nice debating with ya, my man!!

fernandito
06-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Anytime! I'm always up for a good discussion.

Jean
06-20-2014, 11:46 AM

I think I can agree with this. I still don't think much of Alien, but there is a very good point here about what makes a film belong to this or that genre.

RUBE
06-21-2014, 09:03 PM
I think you all miss the real reason that Alien is a horror movie. It is meant as a psycho-sexual horror. You can see my more extended comments in the finals thread.