PDA

View Full Version : The Three Kings

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Just read about this event on Bev Vincent's message board - totally awesome and I have already purchased my tickets. Mark your calendars for April 4th for a reading by Stephen, Tabatha and Owen King - one book per audience memeber can be signed!

The Three Kings @ the Folger Theatre in Washington, DC (http://www.folger.edu/woSummary.cfm?woid=389)

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 05:59 AM
That man needs to come to Dallas.

Brice
01-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Just read about this event on Bev Vincent's message board - totally awesome and I have already purchased my tickets. Mark your calendars for April 4th for a reading by Stephen, Tabatha and Owen King - one book per audience memeber can be signed!

The Three Kings @ the Folger Theatre in Washington, DC (http://www.folger.edu/woSummary.cfm?woid=389)

Tickets are only $30? Did I read that right?

Randall Flagg
01-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Yes, but the flight is $800 (From SFO).

Brice
01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Yes, but the flight is $800 (From SFO).

Ok, I'll buy your event ticket if you pick me up on the way. :lol:

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Well actually $34 with the service charge! :-) I have two tickets for me and my wife. My 18 yr old son might come in her place though. That way I can get two signed books! I wonder if it's one book per author or one period. One per author (Stephen, Tabatha, Owen) would be cool! Too Bad Joe is not attending - then they could change the event name to The Four Kings! :-)

The Folger Theatre is not very large! Its an exact replica of a Shakespearian Theatre! My boys performed Macbeth there when they were in 5th grade (7 yrs ago as they are Srs now) - it was pretty cool! Its about a block or two off the National Mall!

Direct from the Folger Web Page

http://www.folger.edu/images/non_collection/003248W4.jpgAbout the Elizabethan Theatre

An ideal setting for lectures, musical recitals, and theatrical productions, the Elizabethan Theatre seats 200 people in the orchestra level (the “pit” in Shakespeare’s day) and an additional 50 in the upper galleries.

The intimate Elizabethan Theatre is the setting for Folger Theatre productions. With its three-tiered wooden balconies, carved oak columns, and half-timbered facade, the theater evokes the courtyard of an English Renaissance inn. Overhead, a canopy represents the sky. In Shakespeare’s day, such inns often served as playhouses for traveling groups of players, who performed on a raised platform at one end while spectators gathered in the yard and on the balconies above.

Matt
01-16-2008, 07:31 AM
I wish we were in a position to do this. I have always wanted to visit DC and this would be like the cherry on the cake.

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I have lived in the DC Metro area since 1984 - about 30 -35 miles south actually. I have done all the touristy stuff over and over. Only thing left for me is to visit the Spy Museum and take a White House Tour! Then it's all repeated stuff which sometimes is not so bad! If you ever come I might be able to act as personal tour guide! There is so much to do to include:

The Smithsonian - Natural Hystory Museum
The Smithsonian - Air & Space Museum
The Holocaust Museum
FBI Tour
Capital Building Tour
The National Archives
The monuments/memorials (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Korean, Viet Nam (the Wall), ......
The Treasury - see the money being made!
The Pentagon
Arlington National Cemetery
Dont' forget the sports teams!
The Cherry Blossoms - they will be peaking around the time of The Three Kings too!
The National Zoo
Georgetown!!

And if you ever come save some time for the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico - 45 minutes south of DC and near my home - it is simply the most awesome museum I have ever been to!!!!!

Matt
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd love to do everyone of those things. I've been one time before but it was when Clinton shut down the government for those few days in the 90's <_<

We could not do a thing or get in anywhere, all of DC was closed down. :(

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Bob-

I just bought 2 tickets myself. I do not know HOW I will get there yet (by train from NYC most likely) but that would mean I have to stay the night. Hmmm. Driving would mean nasty traffic. I will figure it out. I may bring my 15 year old or a mystery date. At any rate, I wanted to lock in the OPPORTUNITY to come to this before it sold out, even if it turns out I cannot come. A $68 option was worth it to me. Maybe we could meet up Bob. Would love to meet you.

Wizard

Brice
01-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I know it's unlikely with them only allowing one book per person, but if anyone can/wouldn't mind getting an extra book signed please let me know.

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Okay you guys, this may seem weird but I was chatting with Dora (over our work thing) and said...

"how would you like to see SK in DC in April?"

she said sure...we scheduled vacation and I already bought my tickets!! :excited:

I can't believe we are doing this. :lol:

Darkthoughts
01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
You lucky...lucky things!!! :D

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Bob-

I just bought 2 tickets myself. I do not know HOW I will get there yet (by train from NYC most likely) but that would mean I have to stay the night. Hmmm. Driving would mean nasty traffic. I will figure it out. I may bring my 15 year old or a mystery date. At any rate, I wanted to lock in the OPPORTUNITY to come to this before it sold out, even if it turns out I cannot come. A $68 option was worth it to me. Maybe we could meet up Bob. Would love to meet you.
Wizard

That'd be great!

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Okay you guys, this may seem weird but I was chatting with Dora (over our work thing) and said...

she said sure...we scheduled vacation and I already bought my tickets!! :excited:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Brice
01-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Congratulations! :rock:

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks you guys, I would love to meet up with anyone from the site while we are there.

Ari_Racing
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Congratulations!!!
For just some seconds I considered to change my US holidays from July to April (I'll be visiting DC, so it was on my schedule), but I don't know yet. I'll think about that for the next two hours.
Bob, all the info you put it's really IMPORTANT for me!! THANKS!!

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I would love to have the chance to meet you Ari, and dt.com can have a total presence there. Pretty impressive.

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Congratulations!!!
For just some seconds I considered to change my US holidays from July to April (I'll be visiting DC, so it was on my schedule), but I don't know yet. I'll think about that for the next two hours.
Bob, all the info you put it's really IMPORTANT for me!! THANKS!!

You're Welcome Ari!

I just went though this with Rocky Wood who is visiting DC (from Australia) in March! If nothing else I really know how to get around with the Metro system! :-)

Spring in DC - Cherry Blossoms and The Three Kings
Summer in DC - Warm weather!!!!!

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Mmmmm...cherry blossoms. I can't wait.

The wife said I'll have to be her sex slave for the next few months in payments but I think I can handle that. :lol:

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Mmmmm...cherry blossoms. I can't wait.

The wife said I'll have to be her sex slave for the next few months in payments but I think I can handle that. :lol:

Sounds like a tough life you lead Matt! :excited:

You know I travelled (flew to Boston, picked up SKEMER friend, rented car, drove to Bangor)to my first King signing - about 650 miles - a hop and a skip compared to what you are undertaking! But what the heck, you only go round once in life!

Matt
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, its rough being me. :lol:

I figure I'm almost 40 and its time to strike out a bit. The trip is going to be an amazing adventure.

Rahfa
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Came close to buying a ticket on spec...but it is will-call only, and it seems silly to buy a ticket I might not even be able to sell/give away if I didn't end up going, which is very likely...

Still, very jealous...at least I went to the Harvard event recently, but of course I'd much rather have been like all of you trying to decide which book to bring to get signed (and probably personalized)! I think I would have gone with my Night Shift 1st..

It's a cool idea, what with the three of them signing...we can always hope they add a few cities...Owen and Tabitha could use some publicity, right?

Matt
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Hell yeah they could. I told my wife that if we were buying the tickets, we HAD to go.

She agreed so hopefully something doesn't explode between now and then. Like the water heater. :panic:

Erin
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Matt, did you see that Mythbusters with the expolding, rocket water heaters? I will never look at mine the same way again. :panic:

TerribleT
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I
The Smithsonian - Air & Space Museum
Capital Building Tour
The National Archives
The monuments/memorials (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Korean, Viet Nam (the Wall), ......
The Pentagon
Arlington National Cemetery

:drool:

Erin
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd love to do everyone of those things. I've been one time before but it was when Clinton shut down the government for those few days in the 90's <_<

We could not do a thing or get in anywhere, all of DC was closed down. :(

OMG and I was in DC at the same time! Weird!

I totally would go to this signing as DC isn't terribly far away from me and I could drive, but I leave for Ireland on April 4th. I'm now super happy and super sad about it at the same time.

TerribleT
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Matt, did you see that Mythbusters with the expolding, rocket water heaters? I will never look at mine the same way again. :panic:

Off topic I know, and I cry pardon...

That was one of my all time favorite episodes...ahahahaha

Letti
01-16-2008, 01:40 PM

I wish I wish I wish... *sigh*

Matt
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering why it says this on the info page though.

212 East Capitol Street, NE

Randall Flagg
01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
The NE stands for NORTHEAST.
It is in DC.

http://gws.maps.yahoo.com/MapImage?appid=ymapsaura&clat=38.889683&clon=-77.00321&radius=500&mlat=38.889683&mlon=-77.003210&locale=en_US&imf=png&imw=600&imh=380&ims=12250&imi=blk_sq_a

Matt
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
*whew*

Thanks Jerome.

Heather19
01-16-2008, 04:16 PM
I really wished I lived closer, I would love to go to this.
And by the way that looks like an amazing theater.

oy-the-brave
01-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I just bought a ticket, I am not sure I can actually go yet but I figured 35.00 was not too much to lose if it does not work out. I have to research the flight now:excited:

Matt
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Woohoo!!

It would be so cool if you could make it Oy

I may seriously need to make some teeshirts with out site logo on them to hand out to whoever is going. :orely:

oy-the-brave
01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Well I booked a flight so I guess I am going :panic: the trick now is getting a couple of days off from my new job (which I don't even start until next Tuesday). The flight from Albuquerque to Washington cost 250.00 not too bad. My plan is to take my Gunslinger 1st :excited: . I have Owen's first book already signed to me so I am open to getting Owen's book signed for someone else. I will have to pick up something by Tabitha for the signing, any suggestions?

Patrick
01-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I went to the site earlier today and starting to buy 2 tickets. I was just about to enter my credit card number, then I thought, "What the hell am I doing?" and closed the window. I'm still sad about it.

If it weren't for the "Will Call", I would have at least ordered them and done a sale or giveaway after it sold out in case any of our East Coast members missed it. Oh well. :(

Matt, I'm very happy for you and Dora. You will love this event, I am certain! :couple:

Bob and o-t-b, have a great time too!

I'd love to get my Gunslinger 1st/1st signed, but I'm sure you all will find books of your own to have signed. :thumbsup:

oy-the-brave
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I really went back and forth on going and I know I really shouldn't but I had those same thoughts when I bought a ticket to Palavercon and I sure don't regret that once in a lifetime trip.

Matt
01-17-2008, 07:43 AM
That's pretty much while I did it, I suppose if I'm going to call myself a fan, I really should travel to hear him read (that is going to be so cool!! He is really good)

Now, for all of you that are going.

I would be honored if you guys would wear a very tasteful teeshirt with the logo on it. If folks don't mind, I would like to have them made and send them to you before the event. I would also be willing to do one for your guest of course.

Also, as it gets closer, I would love to coordinate with folks that are going so we could at least get coffee after maybe. I plan on being there early because its general seating and I would like to get as close as possible.

I have bad hearing. :(

Spencer
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm getting tickets as soon as my credit card payment posts. *wills the bank to hurry UP :lol:

Matt
01-17-2008, 08:16 AM
I hope they don't sell out!

It would be great to finally meet you Spencer :couple:

Spencer
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
I GOT TICKETS!!!!!

Thank you so much Patrick! I wouldn't have seen this, or known what the heck a thread titled "The Three Kings" meant if it wasn't for you.

Thank you, have a beer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/1776362568_a43d0e6583.jpg

IMPORTANT: The box office lady told me there are only about 15 tickets left, so, if you want tickets, call TODAY.

CRinVA
01-17-2008, 08:48 AM
That's pretty much while I did it, I suppose if I'm going to call myself a fan, I really should travel to hear him read (that is going to be so cool!! He is really good)

Now, for all of you that are going.

I would be honored if you guys would wear a very tasteful teeshirt with the logo on it. If folks don't mind, I would like to have them made and send them to you before the event. I would also be willing to do one for your guest of course.

Also, as it gets closer, I would love to coordinate with folks that are going so we could at least get coffee after maybe. I plan on being there early because its general seating and I would like to get as close as possible.

I have bad hearing. :(

I luv new Tees! Count me in! How many days are you staying in DC? Where are you going to stay? I live about 30 miles south and plainning on taking the Metro - driving and parking would probalby be a major hassle!

Matt
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM
We are going to work out travel details this weekend and I will post them. I think we are going to combine this trip with seeing my daughter in North Carolina so we may only be actually in DC the day of the 4th.

But I think we may be swinging towards spending the entire day of the 3rd and 4th in DC so we can make sure to catch all the sites.

CRinVA
01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Well if you spend two days in DC you cannot catch all the sights - so will need to plan out which ones you want to see the most! :-)

I got to thinking when you put that Lutheran Church of the Reformation address. So I found the Folger Theatre address and did a mapquest direction from one to the other - they are really close like almost next to each other. See the map below - the Start (green) is the Folger, while the End (red) is the church! I really wonder how many the church will seat!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Folger.JPG

As you can see the event will occur about a block from the Capital Building grounds!

Matt
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, that's good to know. The capitol building will be the last thing we see.

Our priorities are the muses and monuments--but I know we can only see a few.

Washington
Lincoln
White House
Smithsonian museum complex
The Wall

That would basically be it for a day I think

Spencer
01-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I really went back and forth on going and I know I really shouldn't but I had those same thoughts when I bought a ticket to Palavercon and I sure don't regret that once in a lifetime trip.

Me either. Those were some good times. :D

CRinVA
01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, that's good to know. The capitol building will be the last thing we see.

Our priorities are the muses and monuments--but I know we can only see a few.

Washington
Lincoln
White House
Smithsonian museum complex
The Wall

That would basically be it for a day I think

White House Tourn eats up a lot of time standing in line! Going to the top of the Washington Monument also means long line time. Lincoln, Jeferson, The Wall, etc have no lines. You can check out the Cherry Blossoms while doing these monuments!

Really try to get to the Holocaust Museum - just plan ahead!

You could really spend all day in the three major Smithsonians (natural History, US History, Air & Space)

Matt
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Wow!

Yeah, I think we'll probably just do the major monuments from the outside, I have no desire to go to the top or inside. :lol:

But it really sounds like it should be two full days, I would love to see the Holocaust museum

Spencer
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure you could get inside the Lincoln or Jefferson statues anyway. :lol:

Matt
01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
I could if this was..."National Treasure--Secret Monuments" :lol:

Spencer
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
:lol: Very true. That Nicholas Cage can get in anywhere, it's almost like he has an uncle in the mob, or at least one that made some movies about the mob.

TerribleT
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Naw, then you'd be stealing them, or kidnapping them. :lol:

Spencer
01-17-2008, 01:54 PM
also true. :lol:

Matt
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
This is what I can do in white

http://www.customink.com/temp/saveproofs/mattrayne@thedarktower.org/towerpolofront.jpg

That is a embroidered shirt which I think would be much cooler

In gray, same thing

http://www.customink.com/temp/saveproofs/mattrayne@thedarktower.org/greytpolofront.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I can't go, but I'd buy an embroidered polo.

Matt
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Cool Jerome, this might be a nice way to get some shirts done for folks that want them. I think they come in around 15 bucks apiece.

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Cool Jerome, this might be a nice way to get some shirts done for folks that want them. I think they come in around 15 bucks apiece.
I'll take 2 if you do them in grey and white.:excited:

Matt
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm...gray and white?

Like with a white collar or something?

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
If you do shirts in solid grey, and solid white, I'll take one of each.
If you only order one color, I'll take one shirt.
I did not mean two-tone.

Matt
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
:lol:

Got it, I can sure do that.

I thought two tone was a bit "miami vice" for you.

oy-the-brave
01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I would be interested in a shirt Matt.

I hope we can all get together as a group before/after the reading. This will be a quick in/out trip for me my flight arrives around 9:30am Friday morning and I head back around 5:00pm Saturday.

Matt
01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds great Oy, I'll put you on the shirt list.

I would like to plan any kind of get together for after if we can. I assume we may run into one another as it begins but me and Dora will have a pretty full day up to that point.

Now, anyone who would like to take us around to the monuments would be much appreciated. :lol:

Spencer
01-18-2008, 05:40 AM
That man needs to come to Dallas.

I'm just glad Jason Garrett isn't LEAVING Dallas. :lol: :D

Spencer
01-18-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm getting this when checking on ticket availability:

We are sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties while attempting to reserve your tickets.

Click here to go to the schedule to start a new order. If you continue to receive this error, please contact Customer Service or try again later.

could mean net is screwey, or could mean they're sold out. I'd definitely call their box office, and QUICK, if you want tickets, though they may be gone.

Brice
01-18-2008, 06:14 AM
I'd like a shirt also if possible.

Matt
01-18-2008, 06:27 AM
No problem at all Brice, I need to buy as many as possible to get them cheap. :rock:

CRinVA
01-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Count me in on the shirt - my pref is Grey! XXL of course! :-)

Brice
01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Are there possibly other colors? If not I'd like mine gray.

Matt
01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
I think I can order them in all kinds of colors, but I'll have to research that.

To be honest, that picture uses an old version logo before Aaron really touched ti up so when I am done gauge interest, I am going to slick it up a bit.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Yes, there is grey for the UK members :dance:

Matt
01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
"UK Gray"

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2008, 08:51 AM
"UK Gray"

I missed out saying, the colour gray, and I will pay by cheque :)

Brice
01-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Is grey an especially popular color over there for some reason? :unsure:

I'd "prefer a brighter color myself, if possible.

Matt
01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
"UK Gray"

I missed out saying, the colour gray, and I will pay by cheque :)

Sounds great Mr. Trick, you are on the list.

I have to get this going soon so I appreciate you guys responding quickly

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM

Spelling differences UK Vs USA

Brice
01-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Spelling differences UK Vs USA

Ah, I see the gray/grey thing. You'd think with y'all having invented the language y'all could spell correctly. :P

TerribleT
01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd like a shirt as well, if you're going to make them available to everyone. I'd just like a color that won't be ruined with the first spill.

Matt
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Sounds good T, you are on the list.

Matt
01-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Update on the shirt thing.

I decided to go to CafeExpress and set up a simple store. Dora and I won't be able to purchase shirts for people--the trip alone is going to cost us. :(

Not to mention, I didn't want anyone to feel like they had to wear the thing. :lol:

So there is a new store--I would be honored if anyone going to this signing wanted to buy one and wear it. Me and Dora will be in ours for sure. :rock:

TheDarkTower.com Store Thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=94615#post94615)

Patrick
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I GOT TICKETS!!!!!

Thank you so much Patrick! I wouldn't have seen this, or known what the heck a thread titled "The Three Kings" meant if it wasn't for you.

Thank you, have a beer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/1776362568_a43d0e6583.jpg

IMPORTANT: The box office lady told me there are only about 15 tickets left, so, if you want tickets, call TODAY.

:dance: EXCELLENT, Spencer! I'm glad you got the message. :rock: I wish I could join you all!

Let me know if you want me to send you a special book to have your guest get signed for me. :lol:

Congratulations, thank you, have a beer.

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/181/german-helles-beer_9694.jpg

idlewarnings
01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm throwing my name out there in case anyone ends up with an extra ticket or 2 they can't use. I kicking myself for missing out on this. I live in Mpls but my best friend lives in D.C. I've been to the Folger several times. My friend has said she doesn't want to go but will if I insist. One ticket will be more than enough. PM me with a price. Thanks all!

CRinVA
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Got my Cafepress Polo shirt yesterday! Now I am all psyched for The Three Kings and for having the opportunity to meet some of you (Matt, Spencer, Bev, Oy the Brave, ...)

Brice
02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Got my Cafepress Polo shirt yesterday! Now I am all psyched for The Three Kings and for having the opportunity to meet some of you (Matt, Spencer, Bev, Oy the Brave, ...)

And...Stephen King? :orely: Did you forget meeting him?

Matt
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Great! Hopefully it was almost worth the price CR--I can't wait to meet you as well. :clap:

CRinVA
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Great! Hopefully it was almost worth the price CR--I can't wait to meet you as well. :clap:

Likewize and I forgot to mention Dave (wizardsrainbow) is comig as well.

Matt
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Yep, I knew he was coming and I'm looking forward to meeting him almost as much as King. :lol:

Great person that Wiz.

CRinVA
02-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Yep, I knew he was coming and I'm looking forward to meeting him almost as much as King. :lol:

Great person that Wiz.

Yeah he is! I am rather envious of him and all of his complete numbered sets of The Dark Tower. Geesh, I just want an unsigned First Edition of The Gunslinger!

mia/susannah
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Congratulations to all that is able to go to this event. I sure wish I could but as it stands, financially unable. I would love to just get Stephen Kings autograph.:(

Matt
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Its going to be one hell of a time for sure. I plan to take as many pictures of folks as possible even though I hear you can't take any inside. :(

Hippiechick1
02-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Hello Everyone!
My name is Donna Girard. I bought 2 tickets to Three Kings the week it was announced thanks to Lilja's listing on his page. Would love to meet up with anyone going. See you in the Spring!

Matt
02-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Hey Hippiechick--welcome to the site.

My wife and I will be going and would love to meet up with anyone else there. I'll post coffee house type stuff in this thread as the date gets nearer.

Great to have you here

CRinVA
02-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Hello Everyone!
My name is Donna Girard. I bought 2 tickets to Three Kings the week it was announced thanks to Lilja's listing on his page. Would love to meet up with anyone going. See you in the Spring!

Welcome Donna :excited:

I have tickets too!

Bob I.

goheat
02-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Just in case anyone was interested, it looks like the Folgers Theater opened up a few GM seats for The Three Kings appearance in April. Wish I lived somewhere near DC! They might not last long...

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=248&event_val=PF08

idlewarnings
02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you, goheat! I got a ticket! I might have got the last one. It wouldn't let me buy 2, but I was successful buying one. Tried to go back and buy 2nd one and kept getting an error.

Now I gotta buy a plane ticket. See you all there.

idlewarnings
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Update: I scored a 2nd ticket for my friend. Must have been a website glitch. Keep trying if you need a ticket!

Matt
02-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Sweet! Its going to be great to meet you there idlewarnings, congrats on scoring a ticket. :rock:

idlewarnings
02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Matt. Looking forward to it.

Matt
03-01-2008, 08:18 AM
I did a little research and came up with a cafe that looks like its within walking distance of the event. I am trying to get people from here and the SKMB (that want to) together after for a chat about the experience over some coffee or whatnot.

Anyway, here is a map to the place. Its a bit blurry but you can see. The ticket office at the Fogler is the green arrow.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Le_Bon_Cafe.JPG

Randall Flagg
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Tickets are now being sold on E-bay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-Tabitha-Owen-King-Have-a-book-signed_W0QQitemZ160214487679QQihZ006QQcategoryZ161 22QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Matt
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Yep, and I understand you can call the box office to have the will call name changed if you buy one.

herbertwest
03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2cmx8wg.jpg

2 KINGs

Matt
03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Is there a picture in the above post?

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah there is, is that King's son?

Brice
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes, it's him King and his son Joe Hill(strom King)

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
He looks older than I thought he'd be

Matt
03-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Yeah there is, is that King's son?

thanks gunslinger--exactly what I needed. :rock:

Hippiechick1
04-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Hey All,
I am leaving in the morning for DC! Woo Hoo!
Look for me - I will be traveling with my 29 year old daughter and wearing a black shirt with skulls and crossbones that says "Hugs and Kisses".
Donna Girard

Spencer
04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I gotta go to bed so I can get some sleep. I'll leave here around noon, so I don't have to get up all early and stuff, and I'll actually remember the tickets if my leaving and the letters A.M. are in no way connected tomorrow. :lol:

Captainhowdy
04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
hey there, just dropping in from the SK board to say hi to those going. Matticus, has a new meeting place been decided upon since LeBon will be closed? A bunch of us are meeting up at the theater and will probably just head for Penn ave afterward where theres supposed to be a lot of places to eat/drink.

I get off work at 7, catch my train at 7:20 and will be in DC by 11am. I'm just going to get checked in and then head over to the theater and see whats up. Anyone wants to say hi, I'm an older female metalhead, will be wearing a ramones tshirt, zippered jeans and a vampirefreaks.com hoodie. Come hang out in the rain with me :beat:

jhanic
04-04-2008, 04:11 AM
My best wishes to everyone who is privileged to attend.

John

Spencer
04-04-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm just figuring on meeting people at the reading and seeing what we all want to do from there after the signing.

CRinVA
04-05-2008, 07:49 AM
OK I'll report in - The Three Kings reading / booksigning was teriffic! I first met David (wizardsrainbow) and his son and also quickly met up with Oy The Brave and Spencer! Matt spotted us and we all chatted while waiting for Will Call to open up. I hope this worked out OK for Matt - he told us that he was staying in Baltimore and the last train back to Baltimore left Union Station at 10:30pm so he was thinking he would not even be able to get a book signed. The walk from the Fogler to Union Station was probalby 15 minuts or so. I hope it all worked out Matt!!!!! :panic:

Ooh almost forgot I passed Bev Vincent who was getting in the line after obtaining his will call ticket - I was in the will call line at that moment so just said hi!

I also ran into a SKEMER frined (Hippiechick) named Donna Girard whom I have met at least once before in Bangor. I ended up sitting next to Donna in the church for the reading. And stood in line with her for the signing too!

Church was packed - no pictures allowed - I took one of the podium area before The Three Kings came out and was quickly approached and told no pictures! No pics allowed at the signing either! :angry:

I estimated that there were ~400 people by counting the number of rows of pews and how many people were in each row. :)

Tabatha read first - very funny - very short - Tavvy was short, not her reading which I thought was long - almost had to stand on tiptoe to look over the podium. She read from Potter's Rib - a new book she is working on. It's about counterfeiting of fine china - potter as in potters wheel and rib as in a tool the potter uses!

Owen read a short story - funny - odd - different - I liked it but not the ending. All I can say is they just had to park the car! :) Owen also read from the podium and it was odd to hear a reading with the word fuck and talk of sex acts on bear skins rugs, etc while sitting in a church! :D Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny! :blush:

Stephen read last and he read from his chair on stage - he read a passage from Duma Key. A passage of the two main characters talking. I haven't read Duma Key yet so can't say much! Other than I need to get it read!!!!

After the reading there was a Q&A session and they took 5 or 6 questions only as the reading took longer than anticipated! Nothing outstanding revealed, although King did say that Marvel was probably going to do The Stand as comic/graphic novelization.

Once Q&A was over we headed back to the Folger for the signing/reception. Funny as I was in line and the guy in front of me was excited about getting his favorite King book - Carrie - signed. I asked if it was a First and he said it was a BOMC edition. I showed him my Carrie 1st and he was just about drooling over it! :-) I gave my daughter three books to get signed - she got my Carrie signed, We're all in this Together and Candle's Burning. I got Stephen and Tabatha to sign Mid-Life Confidential. I actually got to speak to Tabby more - she was surprized to see that particular book and she told me she still has a bunch of pictures that she is holding hostage over those early RBR members!

I tried to get Owen to sign "For Owen" in Skeleton Crew but he wouldn't! :arg: Did not get to spend much time with Stephen - he sat at a table next to Tabby and Owen and there was a gentleman there I think helping to usher people through pretty quickly - also no personlizations allowed due to the late hour and the number of people in line.

We also grabbed some drink and hors'douvers (sp?) before finally heading off to the metro and the ride home. While eating some cheese and crackers I spotted Bev in line and had a quick chat with him. It was great to finally meet you Bev after chatting off and on through SKEMERs, the old SKBB (The Green Mile - from S&S Web page), the darktower.net, Bevs message board at bevvincent.com and here at thedarktower.org! I got home at about 1:00am!

PS I told Matt that I had a contribution to the prize list for the Haven Fundraiser but got separated and never gave it to him. Matt, it will go out in the mail in a day or two!

Patrick
04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks for posting about your experience at the event, Bob. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and that you got to meet so many other TDT.com members in the bargain!

Randall Flagg
04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Fantastic. Cool to imagine "graphic" readings from a church pulpit.
Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
04-05-2008, 08:11 AM
... Cool to imagine "graphic" readings from a church pulpit. ...
Yeah, and with your MOM sitting there too. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny! :blush:

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bob.

I found the above sentence interesting and perhaps disingenuous on Mrs. King's part. From what I have heard she is often an extremely profane person. I guess it's different when you hear the same words you use frequently coming from your offspring but still.......

Ricky
04-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Crinva, I think I saw you there yesterday! Were you the one with the white DarkTower.com shirt? Kind of tall?

Anyway, I had a great time yesterday! We left the house around 2:00pm and got home around 1:00am (late night, but well worth it). When we got to Union Station, we ate lunch and walked around. That place is huge! It has restaurants, shopping, and even a movie theater. You could practically live there.

After we ate, we walked around DC for awhile until it was time to get in line for tickets. We saw the Washington monument, the Captiol Building, Supreme Court building, and a couple others. One of the monuments that we came to (we thought!) was the Lincoln Memorial. Well, we asked the guard what this monument was, and he responded by saying, "You've got to be kidding, right? this is the Supreme Court." Go figure.

By the time we were done looking at the monuments, it was just about time that I wanted to get in line (about 6:00pm). We waited on the church steps for an hour and a half with a bunch of people. It was really cool to be able to talk to people that came from all around the country to be there. The wait went by really quick because there were so many people to talk to.

Finally at 7:30pm, the doors opened so we could pick up our tickets from the Will Call window. When we advanced to Will Call, they gave us our tickets and sent us to the back of the line. They did that with everyone. Once everyone picked up their tickets, we were about in the middle of the line. Keep in mind there were about 475 people there! The doors opened again, and everyone went in to get their seats. It was really cool because I was in the 4th row from the front. Being that the first 3 rows were reserved, I was as close as I could possibly get.

Once everyone was seated, a person from the Folger introduced Stephen, Tabitha, and Owen. Tabitha read first, then Owen, and Stephen read last. The reading lasted for about an hour/hour and a half. Following the reading there was a short Q&A with the Kings. I didn't get a chance to ask a question though.

When the Q&A was finished, we all went across the street to the Folger for the signing and reception. It was 8 or 9:00pm by that time. While we were in line, there was a lady from a small newspaper that said she wanted to ask me how I first became interested in Stephen King, so I told her. I gave her my address and she said she's send me a copy of the paper when it was published. I thought that was pretty cool.

The line for the signing went pretty fast and we weren't waiting outside for too long (at least it didn't rain!). I was suprised at how organized everyone was - no rushing, no running to be the first in line, no pushing, etc. It was really nice. Once we actually got in the building, there were drinks and some food that we could take while we were waiting in line. Once we got up to the front of the line, there was a room that we went into where the Kings were signing the books. A lady asked us to see our ticket stub to prove that we actually bought a ticket. We finally got into the room and there were about a dozen or so people ahead of us.

When I was next in line, I opened my book (The Stand) to the title page so he could sign it. Because it was so late and there were alot of people, they really pushed the line along fast and we really weren't able to say alot to him. I handed the book to his assistant who then handed it to Stephen King and he signed it for me. I shook his hand and he thanked us for coming out and waiting all this time. We left the signing room around 11:30pm and went back to Union Station to get our car and drive home.

I had a great time and am glad that I was able to go. However, they prohibited pictures so I don't have too many to post, but I do have some pictures of DC and I was able to snag one picture of all three Kings.

CRinVA
04-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Crinva, I think I saw you there yesterday! Were you the one with the white DarkTower.com shirt? Kind of tall?

I was wearing a white DT.Com shirt! Probably was me - although I am not tall by any means - I am 5' 9".

Where did you come in from anyway? I live about 35 miles south of here so it was a local trup form me - drive to the metro and then ride the metro the rest of the way. Took me about 1 hr 15 min to get to DC and 10 minutes to walk to the Folger!

Darkthoughts
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Great post CRinVA, i really enjoyed reading that :thumbsup:

Ricky
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM

I was wearing a white DT.Com shirt! Probably was me - although I am not tall by any means - I am 5' 9".

Where did you come in from anyway? I live about 35 miles south of here so it was a local trup form me - drive to the metro and then ride the metro the rest of the way. Took me about 1 hr 15 min to get to DC and 10 minutes to walk to the Folger!

I came from Baltimore. Far...I know :) It sounds like it took you the same amount of time as us to get there. We drove to Union Station and then walked to the Folger.

Now I'm convinced that I did see you.

Patrick
04-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for sharing, Kevin. :)

Spencer
04-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I had a great time as well!

When I first got there around 5, only a few people were there, so I went to a local pub, The Hawk and Dove, GREAT place, I had a crabmeat and cheese omlette that was excellent, and chatted with a very cool couple from New York who were also there for the signing.

Patrick, they had Guiness ON TAP. :dance: Not even at the event yet and already I'm having fun.

CR has told you all about all of us getting to catch up for a bit, my one regret about the event was that we all only got to chat for that few minutes. I wish the event had started earlier so we'd have had a chance to hang out more. I think I saw Dora in the crowd as well, but didn't get to speak to her, if it was her, as everyone was busy trying to fiigure out what the hell was going on and what line to stand in. :lol: I wish I had, she's always been very nice to me. The event was awesome, but the whole lining up, distributing tickets and getting people in was very disorganized, although not nearly as bad as what I heard about that Connecticut bookstore signing a few years ago. :rofl:

The hostess lady actually pulled a funny during the intros. She described the general plot of Cell, and said that we should turn out cell phones off "for the safety of the entire human race."

Tabitha read from her work in progress, "Potter's Rib." Good stuff, with a few very funny lines. I look forward to the finished product. Great domestic moment as she was beginning. She walked up to the pulpit that the preacher preaches from. She asked Stephen if that was OK, he said yes, then she said that maybe she'd sit, Steve said that was OK too, then she changed her mind again and went back up to the pulpit, citing that her daughter (Naomi) would be jealous of her mom speaking in such a big church because Naomi is a minister. :lol:

Owen was up next. I can't remember the titlle of the story, but it's in sub-topics magazine, and it deals with people hearing someone say something and then using that saying in every situation, kind of in a mocking way, in this case, when you do something crazy, silly, or with finality, you "just HAD to park the car." :lol: Great, great story, but, as CR said, I wasn't a big fan of the ending. Hey, he IS a King, and, as his dad says "it's all about the journey." I think this story embodied that statement.

Steve was up last, and he read from Duma Key. The story he read is found on pages 222-231. Without spoiling Duma Key for those that haven't read it, the main character, Edgar Freemantle, befriends a man named Jerome Wireman, who has some problems, to say the least. This is Wireman's story, him telling Edgar all about what happened to him. It was amazing listening to King read his own work. Just brilliant. Comparing his reading style to his writing style is like comparing apples to oranges, which, as this story shows, can be quite dangerous.

The signing was next. When they said one book signed per author per person, they were NOT playing. :lol: There were a lot of folks with backpacks and bags full of books that didn't like that rule one bit, but everyone was great throughout the night, I didn't see anyone getting rowdy.

When I finally got to the table where the Kings were seated, they reiterated the no photos rule, my least favorite rule, and then it was my turn to meet them. Tabitha was very nice and gracious. I then told Owen how much I loved his story and would try to get ahold of the magazine it's in. He signed his book and said he really hoped I would enjoy it, and I said "I bet I will." He's a great guy, and I really hope he makes it big as a writer, his work is very good.

Finally, I got to meet the man himself, people were moving along quickly, he had an assistant taking books from the people in line and handing them to him to sign, so there was zero chance of more than one item per person, and to keep the line moving. King was trying to accomodate everyone, so he wasn't talking much. In fact, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, but, when he signed my book, a The Drawing of the Three Grant First Edition, he stopped, started to flip the pages a bit, and said to me, "I don't think I've ever seen this before. That's cool! Thank you." Yeah, that made my night right there. I was awestruck, to say the least.

On the way out, I met Bev Vincent, got to chat with him and get a picture with him, for which I was yelled at by Security. (Me and authority never do get along. :lol: ) Bev was very nice, and I enjoyed having a few moments to praise his work and find out about some of his upcoming work.

All in all, just a great night. Again, I do wish us folks that came to the event had had a chance to hang out and get to know each other more, but about the event itself, I ain't complaining. Not one bit. It was worth every dollar and every mile.

CRinVA
04-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny! :blush:

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bob.

I found the above sentence interesting and perhaps disingenuous on Mrs. King's part. From what I have heard she is often an extremely profane person. I guess it's different when you hear the same words you use frequently coming from your offspring but still.......

Bob I am pretty sure she covered her ears for effect! Yes she can swear and curse with the best sailer from what I have heard! :)

A couple of times during Owen's reading he seemed to stumble over some words - skip them perhaps - I got the feeling that he was self censoring himself - perhaps because we were in a church - perhaps because his Mom was sitting right there!

CRinVA
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Here are two pics - the first is a pic of the venue - right after I took it the woman in the front (Blond) approached me and reminded me that NO PICTURES WERE ALLOWED!

The second is a picture of the view from right outside the Folger Theatre!

I have pics of my new signed books in the My New Pride and Joy thread in the collectors forum

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IllegalPic.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Capital_Bldg.JPG

Spencer
04-05-2008, 12:56 PM
That, and he skipped some parts due to time, it seemed like. He'd say something like, OK they did this and now we continue, and keep going.

Spencer
04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Here are two pics - the first is a pic of the venue - right after I took it the woman in the front (Blond) approached me and reminded me that NO PICTURES WERE ALLOWED!

The second is a picture of the view from right outside the Folger Theatre!

I have pics of my new signed books in the My New Pride and Joy thread in the collectors forum

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IllegalPic.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Capital_Bldg.JPG

Awesome! Yeah, I got warned as soon as they saw my camera. <_< I'm so glad you got a pic of the church!

Nerak
04-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey All,
I am leaving in the morning for DC! Woo Hoo!
Look for me - I will be traveling with my 29 year old daughter and wearing a black shirt with skulls and crossbones that says "Hugs and Kisses".
Donna Girard

Hey, Donna! Welcome! Glad to have you here...tell CJ to come on over!!!

Nerak
04-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Finally, I got to meet the man himself, people were moving along quickly, he had an assistant taking books from the people in line and handing them to him to sign, so there was zero chance of more than one item per person, and to keep the line moving. King was trying to accomodate everyone, so he wasn't talking much. In fact, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, but, when he signed my book, a The Drawing of the Three Grant First Edition, he stopped, started to flip the pages a bit, and said to me, "I don't think I've ever seen this before. That's cool! Thank you." Yeah, that made my night right there. I was awestruck, to say the least.

get the hell out...I will have to mail him one!! LOL

Spencer
04-05-2008, 02:06 PM

:lol: I was thinking the same thing later. You'd know better than me, I'm thinking he may not have seen the final product, perhaps he signed the S/L pages before they were tipped into the book? Either that, or he's seen it, but not in a while. I had the regular 1st edition, not the S/L, of course, so that may look a bit different than the S/L. Either way, he seemed to love the design. :D

Patrick
04-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Great story, Spencer. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the illicit photos, Bob. :lol:

Matt
04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I made it home! Loved reading this thread so far and meeting every one that was there.

We did catch the train because David and I sat in the back and were able to secure 1st and 2nd in line basically for the signing (his son and Dora were thrown in there).

I was literally starstruck while King was signing my book. He looked up at me, I told him thanks --I floated out...that was basically it.

Still one of the most amazing experiences of my life. We got 4 hours of sleep last night and traveled all day so tomorrow will be my long accounting of the event. I loved the ones so far.

Great to see folks from the SKMB--come by anytime you guys. I wish we all could have talked more but we did get to sit right by David and walk back to Union Station with him, very cool times. :rock:

Signing off for sleep now--all books signed.

One of the two Owen King ones is going to be donated to the giveaway.

Nerak
04-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Matt, if I were you, I would have quickly mentioned who I was and where I was from. He maybe would have shaken the hand of the man working for his cause!!!

Ricky
04-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey Matt! It was really nice seeing you at the event yesterday. I can't remember if I introduced myself to you, but I know we talked for awhile. I (REDRUM) was with the people (my neighbors) who offered you a ride home if you didn't catch your train. I'm glad you were able to make it! You and Dora were very nice and I'm glad I got to meet the both of you.

I'm sure we'll have a long talk tomorrow after you get some sleep. :)

Patrick
04-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Great to hear from you, Matt. :)

Captainhowdy
04-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Matt! Hey Ricky! It was great to meet you guys even if it wasn't for long. Ricky was the paper that interviewed you "Voice of the hill", They interviewed me and browncoat too! Bob I think I have a pic with you in it. I was 1st in line (got there at 2pm) and I took some pics of the crowd from the top of the steps. I'm pretty positive it's you :) Anyway I'm pulling them off my camera now and will toss them on a quick page on my site and give you guys a link.

Being first did have its advantages I got a seat in the second row on the mid aisle so I was right in front of the master! The first row on that side was reserved for press. I think besides the reserved seats I had the best seat in the house!

I have a small wonder video camera which I can sort of let run without people realizing it because they think its just a digital camera. So as long as I'm not aiming and clicking they think I'm not shooting. I didn't try during the reading because it does make some noise when its turned on and off but I got a bit as the Kings were exiting the stage and again at the signing. Yes I'm bad.

About the cussing, when I was talking with Tabitha I asked her if it bothered her at all to cuss in the church and she looked at me like I was crazy. I told her I didnt think it would bother me since I'm not religious but I did find myself cringing a bit at words like mother fucker being spoken there. I guess the teachings from my early days made me think lightning would strike :) She said something like there are a lot more things worth being concerned about. Can't remember the exact wording but I'll see if I can hear it on the video.

I think Mr. King did allow 1 pic and one personalization because I know he signed Shastas book with a Happy Birthday! and took a pic with her :) I'm glad, it was her birthday after all.

Best part for me though was after the signing, we were last out and me and the 2 melissas (brownmouse & mvt) were hanging out chatting. We decided to walk around the side and were peeping in the underground parking to see if we could see where they parked and guess who came walking out? Yup First Tabitha and then Stephen! They didnt really stop to talk but they did talk as they walked. I can't remember which Melissa told him to post on the board but he said "I will" That was a cool moment!

Also a shout out to a lurker I met (browncoat) and her guy! Very cool people! I enjoyed hanging out with them all afternnon. Thanks for the company.

Captainhowdy
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
ok heres the link:

http://www.psykosmileys.com/sk.html

Hey bob are you in this pic? I'm pretty sure this guy had one of the palavar shirts on so I figured it might be you?

http://psykosmileys.com/member5.jpg

Captainhowdy
04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
By the way most of my pics are pulled from my video and the quality is terrible. Just didnt want you going to my page and thinking I had some great pics, only to be dissapointed.

Nerak
04-05-2008, 11:37 PM
ok heres the link:

http://www.psykosmileys.com/sk.htm

Hey bob are you in this pic? I'm pretty sure this guy had one of the palavar shirts on so I figured it might be you?

the link doesn't work :(

Clacke
04-06-2008, 01:04 AM
ok heres the link:

http://www.psykosmileys.com/sk.htm

the link doesn't work :(

I added an l after the .htm (.html) and it worked. Some nice 'undercover' shots. :)

Nerak
04-06-2008, 04:45 AM
I am impressed that he's wearing a jacket and tie. The times that I have seen him, he's been in jeans and a dress shirt. LOL Thanks for the pics, love the one up his nose!

Ricky
04-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey Matt! Hey Ricky! It was great to meet you guys even if it wasn't for long. Ricky was the paper that interviewed you "Voice of the hill", They interviewed me and browncoat too! Bob I think I have a pic with you in it. I was 1st in line (got there at 2pm) and I took some pics of the crowd from the top of the steps. I'm pretty positive it's you :) Anyway I'm pulling them off my camera now and will toss them on a quick page on my site and give you guys a link.

I think Mr. King did allow 1 pic and one personalization because I know he signed Shastas book with a Happy Birthday! and took a pic with her :) I'm glad, it was her birthday after all.

You know what, now that you mention it, that was the name of the paper that interviewed me! Thanks, I couldn't remember it! :)

As much as I would have loved a personalization, I'm glad that Shasta got one since it was her birthday. I was going to ask Mr. King if he would, but that was before I knew he had an assistant throwing the books at him at 70 mph.

Matt
04-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I can't wait to sit down and watch the video out front, thanks for posting it.

I felt kind of bad for rushing out of there and it sounds like there was all kinds of exciting stuff going on at the signing. I would have loved to hang out till the end.

But that damn train :lol: I know I had some ride offers thanks to Ricky and his wonderful family (it was great to meet you by the way!) and also from David and his son. I just hated to put anyone out, its just the way I am :(

But the reading was excellent and I could hear great, I new I would get to see them close up as I walked by. That is so cool Shasta got her book personalized, best birthday present ever!

Very cool story's around--I am going to stop by SKMB and pm a bit. Closed to posting on the weekend of course. :lol:

Patrick
04-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and those pics, Captainhowdy. I see Matt!

Now that event is over, I hope you and the others stick around, we'd love to hear from you all in the other discussion threads. :grouphug:

Randall Flagg
04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I edited the original link to add the missing "L".

Patrick
04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I edited the original link to add the missing "L".Thanks, Jerome. I tried and then realized I don't have that power in this forum. :doh:

Matt
04-06-2008, 08:40 AM
And on the people I met:

I hope this worked out OK for Matt - he told us that he was staying in Baltimore and the last train back to Baltimore left Union Station at 10:30pm so he was thinking he would not even be able to get a book signed. The walk from the Fogler to Union Station was probalby 15 minuts or so. I hope it all worked out Matt!!!!! :panic:

PS I told Matt that I had a contribution to the prize list for the Haven Fundraiser but got separated and never gave it to him. Matt, it will go out in the mail in a day or two!

I meant to meet up with you again on those but it got so hectic, thanks for sending them over. It was really cool meeting you, I just wish we could have had more time.

We did make it but it took some serious planning. I mostly owe it to a woman sitting behind me who's husband worked for the Folger I guess. She didn't pull any special strings but was very supportive and told us to get over there ASAP after the reading. Her companion tapped me on the shoulder and said..."you should go now" :lol: We followed them out, they were one and two for the signing, we were after David and his son behind them.

So me and Dora walked back to Union Station with them (saving cab fair) and arrived with about 7 mins to spare. Already had our return ticket so it was right to the platform. :rock:

Meeting David and his son was very cool for me. The man has been a great support of the site and me personally since the thing began. The fact that we got to sit together, hang out and then walk back to the station was an unexpected treat. Thanks for your kind offer David, I'm glad you guys made it home okay.

Hey Matt! Hey Ricky! It was great to meet you guys even if it wasn't for long.

Great meeting you too, sorry we didn't have time to chat more. I hope you guys decide to hang out, we have a very fun and interesting community going here. :grouphug:

Ricky and his family were terrific, he and I had been exchanging PM's on the SKMB and I was really glad we got a chance to meet up. Dora stood and chatted with them while I mingled around in the crowd for the most part.

Thanks for the offer of a ride home, it was so cool that strangers would go so far out of their way for us. Your teacher was really sweet as well.

Got to chat a nice long time with oy-the-brave, it was very nice meeting you. He was the first person I saw because fo the shirt and I think we caused quite a little stir with them. People kept asking me where we got them, of course I told them all about it.

I had a brief moment with Bev. He hand noticed Dora's teeshirt and introduced himself. I was walking up and we got a chance to shake hands. It was very nice to meet you Bev.

I passed Kevin in the line as I was going out, he was wearing a dt.com teeshirt and we also shook hands--STUPID TRAIN!! That was a really good (and cheap) hotel room though.

Wow! Who else? I waved at Shasta from the SKMB and there was another guy that was there that I sure I recognized but we never spoke. Just very cool, all the way around.

Ricky
04-06-2008, 08:55 AM
It was really nice meeting you and Dora after exchanging dozens of PM's and forum posts. Now that the event is over, I really want to go to another one. This time with photos and personalizations allowed. :) Oh, and be able to hand the book to him ourself. Didn't they realize we are physically able to hand a book to him?

Regarding our books, does anyone have any idea how (or if) they are going to display them? I've been searching for small book display cases but I've been mucho unlucky.

Randall Flagg
04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Regarding our books, does anyone have any idea how (or if) they are going to display them? I've been searching for small book display cases but I've been mucho unlucky.

I use plastic book easels Demco (http://www.demco.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?PROCFUN+LWDCWEB+LWDC025+PRD+ENG+FUNCPARMS +ZZWSESSID(A0200):21668775820763414992+ZZWNAVPAG(A 0100):PRODUCT+ZZWBTRKID(A0120):ALL0000+DATESEQ(A01 40):462008102343)

http://www.demco.com/webprd_demco/product_block/D54/146854300.jpg

To keep the book dust free place it inside a basketball/football trophy case
http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/products/images/fullsize/standard/052_bqube-bball.jpg

Tap plastics (http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=294)

oy-the-brave
04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
ok heres the link:

No thats me Dave/oy-the-brave

CRinVA
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
ok heres the link:

Nope not me - I belive that's oy-th-brave! :)

Ricky
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I guess I didn't see you there. That's who I thought was you. :/

Bev Vincent
04-07-2008, 06:53 AM
First off, here's an article from The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/06/AR2008040602325.html)

It was good to meet you Matt and Dora and "CRinVA" -- I know there were a bunch of other people there who I should have known but didn't get a chance to meet and greet. That's the way it goes with these things.

The Kings were in fine fettle. Tabby made some reference to being late because a man was driving and wouldn't stop to ask directions without naming names. She read from a novel in progress called The Potter's Rib. Owen read a new short story called "Nothing is in Bad Taste" that was received very well. Steve read the section from Duma Key where Wireman describes la lotteria or what happened to his wife and daughter.

Some of the readings were "spicy" in terms of language, which led me to wonder if the Lutheran Church of the Reformation would have to be reconsecrated afterward.

Afterwards there was a brief Q&A that was as lame as these often are, where the questions imply the answers (Owen, did your father ever read you bedtime stories? Owen replies, "Yes.")

The signing was well organized. No inscriptions or photos, which sped things along. That part was held in the Folger Shakespeare Library, a very impressive building with lots of old manuscripts on display and tapestries on the walls.

I met up with the group from Cemetery Dance beforehand, so I was in good company. It was a lot of fun. I also got to spend some time in the Smithsonians earlier in the day and to take in the cherry blossoms, which were in full bloom.

Matt
04-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Great meeting you too Bev, I am glad we got a chance.

The blossoms were amazing-overall it was one of the greatest day of my life for about 12 different reasons.

Thanks for posting the article.

Nerak
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Awsome article!!!!

Nerak
04-07-2008, 08:19 AM

I talked to Robert and he said that Sai King got multitudes of this version, he might have been commenting on the fact that he hadn't seen it at a signing in quite some time, is all.

Sorry Spence!

jhanic
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know if this event was recorded? Sound and/or audio? I'd have loved to have been there.

John

Matt
04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
They were taking many pictures of it, but I am not sure if it was recorded John.

I would love it if it was, relive the experience all over again.

Bev Vincent
04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't recorded. There was a photographer who may have been an archivist for PEN/Faulkner or a reporter.

CRinVA
04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't recorded. There was a photographer who may have been an archivist for PEN/Faulkner or a reporter.

Just rememberd that n the intro they told of The Three Kings speaking at about 150 school students. How cool is that? What a special treat they got!

Matt
04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Very cool!

I would have loved to be one of those kids. The interview Bev posted has a bunch of info on what they were up to the first part of the day.

Bev Vincent
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
There are some media photos here (http://www.mctdirect.com/visuals/search.php?pdselection=Select+a+search&s=stephen+owen+tabitha) from the LOC visit. They're all watermarked but at least you can see 'em.

Patrick
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Great article, thanks for the link, Bev. And thanks for your summary as well.

Mr. Ink
04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
What I thought was great were the introductions as well. The reminder to turn off cell phones was hilarious! "You have all heard of Stephen's new book...so for the safety of the human race, please turn off your cell phones now!"

Spencer
04-07-2008, 08:38 PM

I talked to Robert and he said that Sai King got multitudes of this version, he might have been commenting on the fact that he hadn't seen it at a signing in quite some time, is all.

Sorry Spence!

I was sure that was probably what it was, I couldn't concieve of the fact that he's NEVER seen one before. :lol:

Spencer
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

I was told by the ladies handling the signing line that the photographers were with PEN/Faulkner, I wouldn't doubt it if there was a reporter or 2 as well. This one blond girl with curly hair kept snapping shots of the crowd, and didn't look too excited, so every time she aimed the camera anywhere near where I was, I gave a cheesy thumbs up to try to make her laugh. It worked once or twice. :lol:

Bev Vincent
04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
For those of you who attended the signing, I read a book last summer called Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell that is set at least in part in the Shakespeare Library (my review (http://www.bevvincent.com/onyx/carrell-bones.html)). I call it "The Shakespeare Code." Tries hard to be a thriller, but isn't quite, but has lots of neat Shakespeare info, and it was fun to be in a place on Friday night that was one of its major settings .

Bev Vincent
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's my full writeup at Cemetery Dance's blog (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=203828248&blogID=376886680)

Matt
04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Wonderful write up Bev, Dora was in the picture of the crowd :excited:

Bev Vincent
04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Mindy at Cemetery Dance took some of those pictures, one of their customers took others.

Ricky
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm in the second picture!!!!!!

Matt
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I just realized I'm in there too :cool:

Walking over to glad hand someone. :lol:

Ricky
04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Where are you Matt, I searched, but I don't see you. I did however just notice that the other 5 people that I was with are there too. Am I blind or what? ><

CRinVA
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll have to take a look tinight - my iffice blcoks anything myspace related ! :-(

Bev Vincent
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
The third picture, by the way, is Brian Freeman (CD), Boyd (last name unknown), me, author Norman Prentiss and another CD employee

Patrick
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Great write-up, Bev. Thanks for doing that. :thumbsup:

Matt
04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Where are you Matt, I searched, but I don't see you. I did however just notice that the other 5 people that I was with are there too. Am I blind or what? ><

I am in the process of walking, blue jacket, center.

Patrick
04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Where are you Matt, I searched, but I don't see you. I did however just notice that the other 5 people that I was with are there too. Am I blind or what? ><I am in the process of walking, blue jacket, center.The good-looking one. ;)

Ricky
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I just posted my story and pathetic pictures in the Pride & Joy section. Any sympathy is welcome.

Spencer
04-20-2008, 02:46 PM
I'll definitely check out your story! I'm so glad I went, and that a great time was had by all.

Ricky
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I had mentioned that I (and a couple other DT/SKMB members) were interviewed at the Three Kings event while waiting outside for the signing (in the cold!).

I just happened to check on the newspaper's website and came across the article. It's a short article, but I still think it's pretty cool! Here's the link:

http://www.capitolhillvoice.com/pages/Articles/search/true/keyword/stephen+king/category/0/op/extended/article/221 :excited:

Matt
04-29-2008, 04:52 PM
That is very cool Ricky. I love seeing my name in print. :rock:

Ricky
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Especially when it's right next to the words "Stephen King".

Bev Vincent
05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
On Book TV on C-SPAN 2

About the Program
Authors Stephen, Tabitha, and Owen King discuss their writing with Washington, D.C. area high school students. The King family reads from their latest works and takes questions from the students. This event was sponsored by PEN/Faulkner's "Writers in Schools" program and the Center for the Book and took place at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.

Sunday, May 4, at 10:00 PM
Saturday, May 17, at 8:00 AM

>> Full details (http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?ProgramId=9307&SectionName=&PlayMedia=No)

idlewarnings
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I emailed the Folger a couple weeks ago and asked if the pictures that were taken at the reading were available. Didn't get a response. Maybe I'll try the PEN/Faulkner program coordinator.

Spencer
05-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd love to see those photos as well. I hope they do release them.

Patrick
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I had mentioned that I (and a couple other DT/SKMB members) were interviewed at the Three Kings event while waiting outside for the signing (in the cold!).

I just happened to check on the newspaper's website and came across the article. It's a short article, but I still think it's pretty cool! Here's the link:

http://www.capitolhillvoice.com/pages/Articles/search/true/keyword/stephen+king/category/0/op/extended/article/221 :excited:
Thanks for sharing that. And good on you getting in print. :)

Ricky
05-04-2008, 06:17 AM
No problem.

Though it's not exactly what I said during the interview, I'll let it slide. ;)

Bev Vincent
05-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Here (http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=204835-1) is the C-SPAN 2 show online and for purchase on DVD.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the link Bev.