PDA

View Full Version : The 'Salem's Lot Shrinking Running Time Conspiracy

skyofcrack
04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
I still have my VHS tape that I taped off the air of the original mini-series and I wrote on it the running time of 210 minutes, both on the inside and on the spine of the case. Also, from the magazine, Cinefantastique, which had a cover story on 'Salem's Lot in the Winter 1979 issue which said that the mini-series was 4 hours (3 1/2 without ads).

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/sk_limiteds/salems_lot_210_zpsf8add099.jpg

In 1979, the film aired at 210 min.
In 1993, a laserdisc was released at 193 min. (missing 17 minutes)
In 1995, a VHS was released at 184 min. (missing 26 minutes)
In 1999, a DVD was released at 183 min. (missing 27 minutes)

[I'm not counting the paired-down movie version that was made for international release]

Why does this movie's running time keep shrinking and when will we ever see the full 3 1/2 hour, 210 min. mini-series version on Blu-ray or DVD ever again?

Still Servant
04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
You weren't supposed to find this.

You don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Trust me Mr. Skyofcrack, go back to your normal life and leave this alone. You won't like the answers that are brought to light.

*slowly closes door*

Merlin1958
04-01-2014, 06:22 PM

You don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Trust me Mr. Skyofcrack, go back to your normal life and leave this alone. You won't like the answers that are brought to light.

*slowly closes door*

Okay, NOW I am intrigued!!! C'mon spill it SS!!!! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

skyofcrack
04-01-2014, 07:51 PM

*slowly closes door*

lol but stirring the shitstorm is my normal life and that's Sir skyofcrack to you. :cool2:

Bev Vincent
04-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Here's what I wrote in my essay about SL adaptations in Screem magazine:

The 200-minute miniseries was reduced to 150 minutes for a three-hour movie of the week for subsequent airings and further edited into a 112-minute version for European theaters and for domestic videocassette release. In these jumpy, cut-down versions, the fate of Susan Norton is lost completely and several characters’ storylines are reduced substantially.

skyofcrack
04-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Here's what I wrote in my essay about SL adaptations in Screem magazine:

The 200-minute miniseries was reduced to 150 minutes for a three-hour movie of the week for subsequent airings and further edited into a 112-minute version for European theaters and for domestic videocassette release. In these jumpy, cut-down versions, the fate of Susan Norton is lost completely and several characters’ storylines are reduced substantially.

That's not the issue. The issue is the fact that 'Salem's Lot has been released as the complete mini-series over the years even though it's missing chunks of footage. The versions you're talking about were drastically cut down and re-named 'Salem's Lot: The Movie.

Heather19
04-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Hmmm, you would think they would release a full length uncut version on dvd by now. I never knew it had been edited so much. Now I'm curious to watch the whole thing.

Still Servant
04-02-2014, 02:21 PM

*slowly closes door*

lol but stirring the shitstorm is my normal life and that's Sir skyofcrack to you. :cool2:

My apologies, my lord.

In all seriousness, it might be fun (and maybe a pain in the butt) to set up two TV's and play different versions to see what has been removed.

Mattrick
04-02-2014, 08:26 PM

*slowly closes door*

My apologies, my lord.

In all seriousness, it might be fun (and maybe a pain in the butt) to set up two TV's and play different versions to see what has been removed.

Come over, I'm equipped to play up to five versions at once!

skyofcrack
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM

*slowly closes door*

My apologies, my lord.

Come over, I'm equipped to play up to five versions at once!

Ideally, yes, but my VCR, laserdisc and DVD players are in storage right now. All I have is my laptop. :frown: