PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Narnia

CyberGhostface
01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I got an illustrated omnibus version from the library and read it in about a week. Although its clearly meant for a younger audience than, say, LotR I still find it an enjoyable series. I might try reading some of C.S. Lewis's other works in the future.

jayson
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Agreed. It's another favorite series of mine. I've not read any of Lewis' other works to date.

Letti
01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Very good series. Light but enjoyable. I wish I could have read it as a child but it was good to read them as an adult, too. It made me feel a kiddo again.

mr.nineteen
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
They're very enjoyable. Sometimes the style seems too... "naive"? Don't know, but definitely sounds like it is aimed towards a younger audience, unlike say Harry Potter later books which are more mature in their writing.

ATG
01-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I liked them. I'm looking forward to the next movie too.

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
What ATG said

Letti
01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Which one is coming at that side of the world?

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Give me second, I'll try to find it.

Found it

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

RUBE
04-19-2008, 02:57 PM
I am curious. When you all read the Chronicles of Narnia do you think about the Christian allegory that Lewis intended or just take them at their face value as fantasy?

Wuducynn
04-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Most of them I don't even notice it, not including The Last Battle. Its kind of hard not to notice it in that one.

Nerak
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
It's a beautiful piece of work!

Loved every minute of it. From The Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle.

A must read, for everyone, and not just The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but the entire series.

mia/susannah
04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I have not read any of the books, but I have saw the first movie. My girls and I went to the theaters and saw it. It was a really good movie.

Wuducynn
04-19-2008, 06:05 PM
It's a beautiful piece of work!

Loved every minute of it. From The Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle.

A must read, for everyone, and not just The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but the entire series.

Totally agreed. Except I prefer it in the original release order with The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe as book 1.

Unfound One
04-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Chronicles was my re-read-once-a-year series (since 2nd grade).
Now I think it's Dark Tower. :)

Except I never re-read Horse and His Boy - I never really like that one.
My favorite was Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Wuducynn
04-19-2008, 06:20 PM
The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe are tied as my favorites of the series.

Unfound One
04-19-2008, 06:45 PM
I really love Magician's Nephew as well.

fernandito
04-20-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm about 80 pages into Magician's Nephew.

(First time reading the series)

Unfound One
04-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Ah Feev, enjoy. They really are great. :thumbsup:

Mark
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I am curious. When you all read the Chronicles of Narnia do you think about the Christian allegory that Lewis intended or just take them at their face value as fantasy?

I did in the first one and the last one, the rest, no.

I never finished The horse and his boy, the silver chair or Prince Caspian, i might read the whole chronicles after i finish cell and my re-read of DT.

Wuducynn
05-21-2008, 07:16 AM
I've decided to delay my re-read of the Dark Tower series and that its long overdue for a re-read of this series. Especially with "Prince Caspian" just come out (fantastic by the way, everyone go see it). I'm going to buy an audio edition and listen through for the first time.
Going on Amazon I've noticed there appears to be three audio editions of TCON, one an full-cast audio drama and the other two read by various actors and actresses. The full-cast audio drama is abridged, so that is out for me, also I'm reading several folks reviews saying they are unimpressed with Aslan's voice in it, so that being important, also knocks it down.
Now the other two are regular audio books read by different folk, anyone who has listened to these have a preference? Thanks for the feedback.

Brice
05-21-2008, 07:19 AM
I haven't heard them. My only point here is that it's a shame the full cast one is abridged. It could be awesome that way if done right.

Wuducynn
05-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Agreed. I was excited when I saw there was such a thing, but then read several reviews, and they put out my excitement pretty fast, especially that so many were not happy with Aslan's voice. Which when I was little and reading sounded exactly like Liam Neeson's (or someone a lot like his) voice to me.
Oh well, I'm reading a lot of great reviews for both of the regular unabridged audio editions, and so I am really looking forward to listening to them.

Wuducynn
05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
So I did a 180 in my opinion and went with the audio drama afterall. :lol: I read so many positive reviews of it, some disagreeing with the ones bemoaning Aslan's voice. That I decided they over-ruled the negative ones.

AcidBumbler
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Chronicles of Narnia... I love those books. They're phenomenal.
I first read them when I was... I don't know... 11? Maybe 12. Loved them then, re-read them about a year ago and still love them.

I don't think the films really did the series justice, though.
Also, I found it slightly irritating that they seem to have completely neglected to include The Magician's Nephew, which is the first book!

Logic, please? :idea:

candy
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Chronicles of Narnia... I love those books. They're phenomenal.
I first read them when I was... I don't know... 11? Maybe 12. Loved them then, re-read them about a year ago and still love them.

I don't think the films really did the series justice, though.
Also, I found it slightly irritating that they seem to have completely neglected to include The Magician's Nephew, which is the first book!

Logic, please? :idea:

probabley because its the most famous, i agree that it would have made us narnians happy to do in chronological order - but unfortunatleu studios are after the quick buck and thats what they get by releasing the recognisable one first

its funny really, when you consider how much of a furor the Golden Compass was released to and yet it was never mentioned in any releases that i saw about how quite blatant the religion is in this.

It was my favourite series as a child and i must have read over 10 times, then i picked it up as an adult, and it was just as good, but i must say i noticed the religion element a lot more.

Ka-mai
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Well when doing the movies, everyone focuses on the ones that include the Pevensies and Eustace. I would love to see Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy done.

The Last Battle never really grabbed me. I think it was too much allegory. I don't have a problem with the Christian allegory, just allegory in general needs to be used carefully, and I think it was way overdone.

I thought the movie Prince Caspian was not very good. Caspian is supposed to be like, 12. They just kind of screwed with it to make it more dramatic (OMG UNCLE'S BEDROOM YOU KILLED MY FATHER I KEEL YOUUUUU! bugged the hell out of me.) which just irritates me. Money over art, eesh.