PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #4: Pet Sematary (1983)

mae
03-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Pet Sematary, 1983
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Pet_Semetary_face.jpg

Please vote for Pet Sematary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sematary) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Girlystevedave
03-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Never read.

mae
03-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Never read.

Are you kidding me? :pullhair:

I don't care what anyone says, this is King's best novel.

Girlystevedave
03-28-2014, 06:55 AM
I don't doubt it!
But, I'm noticing that most of the King books I haven't read have movies based off of them that I grew up watching.
This prevents me from being able to read the book until I forget most of the story first. :)

Jean
03-28-2014, 07:31 AM

an absolute masterpiece

in terms of perfection, the only novel that is more perfect (yes, I know it's not correct usage, but you see what I mean) is The Long Walk: it has no flaws at all. Pet Sematary has one weak part
when the horror reveals its shape, as Louis walks home from the cemetery that last time; I wish it had been left undescribed, because any description is always weaker than what we can feel inside ourselves; the monstrous ram's head or whatever it was is just plain ridiculous comparing with the rest, for example, with "it's only loons" phrase which chills my blood every fucking time I remember it - which I try not to, but it's a masterpiece anyway.

divemaster
03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Terribly effective book. As great as King is with characterization, perhaps the greatest example of him "getting inside the head" of a character is when Louis Creed is working his way toward doing the unthinkable.

His beloved son has just been buried. Louis is distraught beyond comprehension. He has knowledge that no man should have. "It would be good if my wife were out of town for a while. Oh, and by the way, I'll just stop by the hardware store and buy a shovel. No reason, just...it would be good to have a shovel. And maybe a few other items as well." Etc.

The reader knows the direction Louis is heading--the horror is inevitable. But Louis himself can't even admit to himself what he's about to do--although of course he knows deep down.

The way it is presented is masterful.

mae
03-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Was hoping for a 5.

divemaster
03-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Well, the ending got a little out of control. Not the very ending (that was classic). But 4.5 is a very good score.

webstar1000
03-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Well, the ending got a little out of control. Not the very ending (that was classic). But 4.5 is a very good score.

Shocked you like this more over Talisman... amazing how diff tastes are here with King's books. I mean we ALL love SK but I find it fascinating.

divemaster
03-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Ha. I like every King novel (with the exception of perhaps 4), over the Talisman.

webstar1000
03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Ha. I like every King novel (with the exception of perhaps 4), over the Talisman.

Yeah me too now that you mention it... But the Talisman was my fav book for many many years.... still kinda is BUT I have not read it since I was very young too...

frik
03-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Overrated - still a 4 though...

sk

Heather19
03-28-2014, 09:50 AM
5, This one has alot of sentimental value to me as well, since it's the story that started me on my Stephen King journey.

WeDealInLead
03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
5 for me. Such a mean book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-02-2014, 04:24 AM
I think this book has the potential to scare the crap out of you when you are young for obvious reasons. However, this book became more horrific with rereads as I grew up, became a father and began to empathize with Louis. This is King at his finest.

Tito_Villa
04-02-2014, 05:24 AM
5, brilliant book, the scariest of King's books

Jean
04-02-2014, 05:27 AM
one of the scariest books ever, probably. I can now think only of one that is scarier.

Tito_Villa
04-02-2014, 05:35 AM
one of the scariest books ever, probably. I can now think only of one that is scarier.

What is that?

Jean
04-02-2014, 05:37 AM
A Terrible Revenge (Страшная месть) by Nikolay Gogol

Girlystevedave
04-02-2014, 07:50 AM
I think this book has the potential to scare the crap out of you when you are young for obvious reasons. However, this book became more horrific with rereads as I grew up, became a father and began to empathize with Louis. This is King at his finest.

I think that this is the biggest reason I am reluctant to read it. As I said before, I never read it when I was younger because I was too familiar with the movie. But, as I've gotten older, and the movie is faint to me, I've thought about reading it. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great King work.
But, I don't think I can handle the parent losing a child aspect of the story. I remember King saying in an interview once that touching on that (losing a child) is the most horrific thing imaginable.
So, as a mom, I really don't think I could read it. :unsure:

Jean
04-02-2014, 08:08 AM
no, I don't think you can, either. As a reader with almost 50-year-long experience, I believe I know how to abstract personal feelings from fiction-inspired personal feelings, but even given that, I don't know whether I could read PS if I had children.

Iwritecode
04-02-2014, 11:24 AM

I think that this is the biggest reason I am reluctant to read it. As I said before, I never read it when I was younger because I was too familiar with the movie. But, as I've gotten older, and the movie is faint to me, I've thought about reading it. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great King work.
But, I don't think I can handle the parent losing a child aspect of the story. I remember King saying in an interview once that touching on that (losing a child) is the most horrific thing imaginable.

Yea, being a dad, the movie and the book both hit me kinda hard. I’ve always though of it being much more sad than scary.

stroppygoblin
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
I gave this book repeated readings - right up until I had my first born son. After that I couldn't read it. Horror is truly horrific when the subject matter is something close to you.

It's not the coming back from the dead, but the description of the sneaker full of blood that got to me.

He's now nearly 20, at University, costing me a fortune and a typical selfish teenager. Maybe it's time to read it again? :evil:

Girlystevedave
04-03-2014, 05:08 AM

Yea, being a dad, the movie and the book both hit me kinda hard. I’ve always though of it being much more sad than scary.

I gave this book repeated readings - right up until I had my first born son. After that I couldn't read it. Horror is truly horrific when the subject matter is something close to you.

It's not the coming back from the dead, but the description of the sneaker full of blood that got to me.

He's now nearly 20, at University, costing me a fortune and a typical selfish teenager. Maybe it's time to read it again? :evil:

Yeah, there are certain things too horrific to even visit in a fictional world. It hits my gut to just think about it.

mae
04-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Need one more 5!

Tito_Villa
04-03-2014, 05:41 AM
I don't have kids so that doesn't bother me so much, but after having Annabel, i don't like to read stories where dogs are hurt and killed

mae
04-04-2014, 06:44 AM
The poll has closed. Pet Sematary has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.326923077 or 86.54%. It received a rating of 5/4 with 9 votes.

Iwritecode
04-04-2014, 07:27 AM
The poll has closed. Pet Sematary has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.326923077 or 86.54%. It received a rating of 5/4 with 9 votes.

five fourths?

mae
04-04-2014, 07:30 AM
No, 5 and 4 tied. So it's five-slash-four.