PDA

View Full Version : 300: Rise of an Empire

Ruthful
03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Seeing as how it's the first day of Nowruz, it's fitting that I give my review of Zack Snyder's latest attempt at retelling the second Persian invasion of Greece. We also delve into some of Frank Miller's other work depicted on the big screen.

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2014/03/seaveyperry-episode-2-rise-of-a-podcast/

Mattrick
03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Zack Snyder is a hack. He shouldn't even be allowed to drive into a studio's lot.

Ruthful
03-20-2014, 07:50 PM
I'll say this much for him, his remake of Dawn of the Dead is superior to the original.

Mattrick
03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
I agree. That was before he was like GREEEEEEENNNNNNNN SSSCCCRRREEEEENNNNNNNNN. He's one of those directors that isn't talentless but relies far too much on style and effects and flash. He could be more than a one trick pony but he probably feels he's good with the atatus quo

Ruthful
03-21-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't disagree with that assessment.

Mattrick
03-21-2014, 07:49 PM
I might give this 300 film a chance. I liked the 300 in theatres but when I watched it again I saw just how many problems it had. The guy who reviewed it on Ebert's site gave it 2 1/2 stars and he did not like the original at all, so that's something.

Merlin1958
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Zack Snyder is a hack. He shouldn't even be allowed to drive into a studio's lot.

And there goes your credibility. With all due respect, how many major motion pictures have you directed? How many industry folk have sought out your impressions? This seems rather harsh in light of the fact that the answers to my questions are, "none". Let the guy make a living. You don't respect him? Don't go to see his film. Just saying.

Mattrick
03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't see his films. A one trick pony is a one trick pony, it doesn't matter from what perspective you're looking at it from. Your stance isnt much of a stance, you're essentially saying if you haven't done it you can't criticise it. Which probably nullifues about 90% of the criticism you've made in your lifetime. I suppose even a respected film critic such as Ebert can't say Transformers sucks because he hasn't made umpteen blockbusters like Michael Bay? If you don't like people who haven't been therr and done that talking about how other people went there and did that, the internet is not the place for you.

Merlin1958
03-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't see his films. A one trick pony is a one trick pony, it doesn't matter from what perspective you're looking at it from. Your stance isnt much of a stance, you're essentially saying if you haven't done it you can't criticise it. Which probably nullifues about 90% of the criticism you've made in your lifetime. I suppose even a respected film critic such as Ebert can't say Transformers sucks because he hasn't made umpteen blockbusters like Michael Bay? If you don't like people who haven't been therr and done that talking about how other people went there and did that, the internet is not the place for you.

Pardon me, but if you do not view his film's how on earth are you qualified to review them? Just curious.

Ruthful
03-29-2014, 05:59 PM
FWIW, I prefer The 300 Spartans to Zack Snyder's interpretation. That said, it's a pretty good film for what it is, i.e. a comic book version of the Greco-Persian War.