PDA

View Full Version : The Final - Round 6: It vs. The Dark Tower

Jean
02-15-2014, 06:01 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5a/It_cover.jpg/200px-It_cover.jpg VS. http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mLAH5Z6r6MgHrvRfYtJ7-Qw.jpg

Jean
02-15-2014, 06:06 AM
I am not sure I want to vote here

Girlystevedave
02-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Are you serious, here?!
Dark Tower!
It's the reason any of us are even on this board. :lol:

Jean
02-15-2014, 07:22 AM
yes, yes... but It!...

Girlystevedave
02-15-2014, 07:38 AM
:lol:
Yes, yes. But Roland!

and Eddie, Jake, Susannah, Cuthbert, Oy, Alain, the tower, Blaine, the slow mutants, Callahan, the Man in Black, the Rose, Susan, the lobstrosities, and so on!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Yes, yes. But Roland!

and Eddie, Jake, Susannah, Cuthbert, Oy, Alain, the tower, Blaine, the slow mutants, Callahan, the Man in Black, the Rose, Susan, the lobstrosities, and so on!

And none are as dear to me as Ben, Bev, Eddie, Richie, Stan, Bill and Mike.

mae
02-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Are you serious, here?!
Dark Tower!
It's the reason any of us are even on this board. :lol:

I would say any. I'm foremost a Stephen King fan and I view The Dark Tower as just a part of his oeuvre like Pet Sematary or The Green Mile, and not something significantly separate.

Girlystevedave
02-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Oh, I loved SK's works way before I read TDT, but there would be no thedarktower.org without The Dark Tower. :)

T-Dogz_AK47
02-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh, I loved SK's works way before I read TDT, but there would be no thedarktower.org without The Dark Tower. :)

thedarktower.org would just be named something else if there was no Dark Tower.

IT wins hands down, no contest. This is even easier to decide than the last poll between The Shining and The Long Walk. :dance:

Merlin1958
02-15-2014, 10:11 AM

thedarktower.org would just be named something else if there was no Dark Tower.

IT wins hands down, no contest. This is even easier to decide than the last poll between The Shining and The Long Walk. :dance:

I'm no detective, but it would seem that we have a very passionate fan here!!! :clap:

WeDealInLead
02-15-2014, 12:36 PM
I like certain books in the DT series more than It, but because they only count as all or nothing, It gets the vote.

Girlystevedave
02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
I feel like everyone took crazy pills this morning! :lol:
IT over TDT?!

Jean
02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
: bangs head against wall :

It is a masterpiece!! and TDT is not, it's uneven and at times annoying and at times exasperating ---

but, oh good Lord, these doors Jake opens at school, and the blue forspecial plate, and Faddah, and kill me if you can but command me nothing, and I may have betrayed but I've never taken a pair of spectacles for it, and aunt Talitha, and when is a door not a door, and -----------

bears can't vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DoctorDodge
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Love IT, but The Dark Tower is as deep and personal to me as Doctor Who and Life on Mars. Had to go with the Tower on this one.

Merlin1958
02-15-2014, 07:18 PM
: bangs head against wall :

It is a masterpiece!! and TDT is not, it's uneven and at times annoying and at times exasperating ---

but, oh good Lord, these doors Jake opens at school, and the blue forspecial plate, and Faddah, and kill me if you can but command me nothing, and I may have betrayed but I've never taken a pair of spectacles for it, and aunt Talitha, and when is a door not a door, and -----------

bears can't vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

De Caff, Jean or better yet, tea!!! It will all be better in the morning!!! LOL

Jean
02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
it isn't

Heather19
02-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Hands down It! Dark Tower doesn't even come close.

Jean
02-16-2014, 01:14 PM
: faints :

how I wish I had your determination... :rose:

Heather19
02-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Well I'm probably the only one here that's read the books and isn't a fan, so there really was no question in my mind :lol:

Jean
02-19-2014, 06:35 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)

Patrick
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Once again, Amanda reads my mind and posts my thoughts.

Girlystevedave
02-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Spooky.

I really didn't not realize just how much everyone loved IT until this thread. I guess I was naive and thought that DT just sort of trumped everything else, the way it does for me. :unsure:

And, for the record, I'm not aiming for a debate or anything. I'm just airing my thoughts. Simply put, I'm dumbfounded by this revelation.

webstar1000
02-20-2014, 06:10 AM
I started reading King because of IT.... but I do not feel a connection to the characters in IT like I do in the Dark Tower.... I am sorry but IT is a great book but is no where near the Dark Tower.... I can't even remember all the characters in IT other than Bev and Richie.... (of course Pennywise)... But I remember the Ka-tet VERY well.... DT all the WAY!!!

Heather19
02-20-2014, 07:09 AM
I always thought King was known for both The Stand and It. Those are his big two that you always hear people talking about. Maybe I'm wrong but I would bet that aside from here there are many King fans that have not even read The Dark Tower books. I always wonder if you took a poll of your average King fan where The Dark Tower would rank.

Girlystevedave
02-20-2014, 07:22 AM
I started reading King because of IT.... but I do not feel a connection to the characters in IT like I do in the Dark Tower.... I am sorry but IT is a great book but is no where near the Dark Tower.... I can't even remember all the characters in IT other than Bev and Richie.... (of course Pennywise)... But I remember the Ka-tet VERY well.... DT all the WAY!!!

Agreed. :)

I always thought King was known for both The Stand and It. Those are his big two that you always hear people talking about. Maybe I'm wrong but I would bet that aside from here there are many King fans that have not even read The Dark Tower books. I always wonder if you took a poll of your average King fan where The Dark Tower would rank.

You do have a point. I know that I was reading SK for a long time before I decided to read The Dark Tower books. I didn't associate him with TDT. I associated him with his more well known stories. Even though I had been reading his books for at least 10 years, TDT was unknown territory for me.
But, once I read The Dark Tower, it affected me unlike anything I had ever read.
(To be fair though, the ka-tet probably altered any future chance I may have had with having a healthy relationship with a fictional group of characters. :lol: This is my doom) Because, after TDT, nothing compared to the attachment I had to Roland, Jake, Eddie, etc.
But, I'm assuming that IT is that way for you?

webstar1000
02-20-2014, 07:33 AM

Agreed. :)

You do have a point. I know that I was reading SK for a long time before I decided to read The Dark Tower books. I didn't associate him with TDT. I associated him with his more well known stories. Even though I had been reading his books for at least 10 years, TDT was unknown territory for me.
But, once I read The Dark Tower, it affected me unlike anything I had ever read.
(To be fair though, the ka-tet probably altered any future chance I may have had with having a healthy relationship with a fictional group of characters. :lol: This is my doom) Because, after TDT, nothing compared to the attachment I had to Roland, Jake, Eddie, etc.

I must AGREE with you as well:)

Heather19
02-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Makes sense. And It is most definitely that book for me :couple:

Jean
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I know it is for me

webstar1000
02-20-2014, 05:52 PM
This one is close!

Girlystevedave
02-21-2014, 06:34 AM
I know!

Jean
02-21-2014, 02:15 PM
... and It is leading by two votes (one of which mine)!!! Unprecedented and, frankly, totally unexpected.

Patrick
02-21-2014, 08:08 PM
I love reading this discussion, despite the realization that my dear friends, Jean and Heather, have their priorities confused.

:P

:grouphug:

Girlystevedave
02-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Girlystevedave
02-22-2014, 10:16 AM
And this shall go down in history as the disagreement that caused the great DT.org War of 2014. :lol:

CyberGhostface
02-22-2014, 11:38 AM
I voted for It. Taken as one work, TDT is very uneven while It is probably the closest thing to perfection King has ever done and (in my opinion) the greatest novel ever written.

Heather19
02-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Wow, I'm quite surprised it's this close (although maybe I shouldn't be considering the site we're on). But it does make me sad that there isn't more love for It.

Jean, I'm glad you finally voted. You had me worried you were going to stray over to the dark side.

Jean
02-24-2014, 08:10 AM
bears were torn... but their sweeter, nostalgic self prevailed...

Grrrrr, now it's a tie! I should have closed the poll when everything was all right

stroppygoblin
02-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Good job I alerted a couple of members who hadn't voted then eh ? :evil:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Can I vote again?

stroppygoblin
02-28-2014, 01:10 AM
Can I vote again?

Only if you promise to do it right this time :evil:

Jean
02-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Grrr, it's getting worse! Obviously, all It lovers have already voted... I should have left it at that, now goblins start rallying the dark powers

Heather19
02-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Agreed, this poll really saddens me :(

Saintmatthew
03-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Can't decide on a vote, but I've always had a big connection to IT as I was 12 when I read the book and kind of identified with the kids at that age.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Psssst......Saintmatthew, vote for It! If for nothing else it will tie it up and cause a rip in the space-time continuum.

stroppygoblin
03-15-2014, 10:07 AM
"Eddies," said Ford, "in the space-time continuum."
"Ah," nodded Arthur, "is he? Is he?"

Jean
03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
tomorrow night I will have to close these polls...unless, of course, there's one more It vote and they tie again