PDA

View Full Version : King on Twitter

Pages : 1 [2]

CyberGhostface
07-09-2020, 04:08 AM
I wasn’t suggesting they were. The point was some of the users playing devil’s advocate are the same ones who get upset and write lengthy responses to King saying something negative about Trump.

Kingfan24
07-09-2020, 10:30 AM
I wonder how many of the people suggesting we should just ignore Rowling for her using her celebrity status to undermine a marginalized group will do the same next time King insults Trump or Republicans. :|

So in your statement you imply that you don’t believe women are a marginalized group? So therefore they have achieved full equality in society?

St. Troy
07-09-2020, 10:38 AM
Seems like an awful lot of effort to make sure that a bunch of people with dicks (cough cough, males, cough) get access to girls'/women's locker rooms and other resources (a dubious goal if ever there was one).

I remain so glad that this insanity didn't exist when my daughters went to school.

Joe315
07-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Seems like an awful lot of effort to make sure that a bunch of people with dicks (cough cough, males, cough) get access to girls'/women's locker rooms and other resources (a dubious goal if ever there was one).

I remain so glad that this insanity didn't exist when my daughters went to school.

You really need to educate yourself more on this topic. Go read some things and come back.

Kingfan24
07-09-2020, 12:04 PM

You really need to educate yourself more on this topic. Go read some things and come back.

If I’m being honest I don’t exactly disagree with St. Troy. I worked for years in a hospital with a clinic for kids who believed they were transgender. They had kids as young as 5 (we all know who is pushing that decision). One of the tenants was that these kids be able to use the bathrooms they identified with. I can’t imagine subjecting my young daughter to a school or public place that would allow boys who believed they were girls to use their bathroom. I’m sure that would inflict some psychological harm on young girls not having a space to call their own free from boys because, although they might think they are girls, their genitalia says otherwise.

St. Troy
07-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Thank you, Joe315, for providing the obvious response for which I was hoping, because...it is so profoundly ironic and amusing to be told that I require education by individuals that don't know what "male" and "female" mean.

Ever watched a nature show? Ever seen the lion with a big set of balls swinging? That is the male.

Education is when you learn that.

Indoctrination is when you "learn" anything that differs from that.

St. Troy
07-09-2020, 12:19 PM
...I can’t imagine subjecting my young daughter to a school or public place that would allow boys who believed they were girls to use their bathroom.

When my girls were in school, I'd never have allowed it. Again, thank God this insanity had yet to take hold.

Iwritecode
07-09-2020, 12:34 PM

Thank you, Joe315, for providing the obvious response for which I was hoping, because...it is so profoundly ironic and amusing to be told that I require education by individuals that don't know what "male" and "female" mean.

Ever watched a nature show? Ever seen the lion with a big set of balls swinging? That is the male.

It took me a long time to learn that there is a difference between sex and gender. And that in some people, they don't match.

Hunchback Jack
07-09-2020, 12:35 PM
So ... that King guy. On Twitter. Remember him?

Iwritecode
07-09-2020, 12:37 PM
I worked for years in a hospital with a clinic for kids who believed they were transgender. They had kids as young as 5 (we all know who is pushing that decision).

Based on the wording you used, I'm almost afraid to ask what happened to these kids.

Lurker
07-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Has anybody actually taken a survey of (grown) women about who uses the "women's" room? In this day and age I seriously doubt many give a shit. Go to the stall, do your thing and out!
Or is this again just an argument by men trying to save us little ladies, like the pig-ignorant dumber than a doornail Texas Lt Gov who uses fear and hate to try to pass bathroom bills. I can guarantee we don't need your macho crap to protect us. More than likely some guy who goes into a women's room with evil intentions - some little lady is gonna blow off his male parts with her Walther. (Well, that's what I have). Little kids, maybe different story.

And to all the guys from 35, 40 years ago when there were really long lines at the women's rooms at the concerts at the Summit or Astrodome - thanks for letting us into your turf to go. And not ever a hassle when we asked if we could.

Randall Flagg
07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
A few more comments and then can we please move on.

CyberGhostface
07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
So in your statement you imply that you don’t believe women are a marginalized group? So therefore they have achieved full equality in society?

Huh? When did you even infer that? (And if this some way to justify JK’s transphobia because she’s a woman and part of a marginalized group, that’s not how these things work. If a woman hates gay people her bigotry isn’t cancelled out because she herself might face misogyny.)

I knew all along this was why you and the others were playing devil’s advocate for Rowling but I am curious as to why you refused to admit you hate trans people from the getgo instead of wasting our time with this cancel culture nonsense.

Joe315
07-09-2020, 01:06 PM

I understand the difference between SEX (XX, XY) and GENDER. It does not seem like you do. Sex is biological and Gender is a social construct pretty much unique to humans.

This issue isn't about what lies between your legs. It's about what you identify as. There are people who don't identify with their biological sex and living as another gender feels more normal for them. Those individuals would like to live in that way without being discriminated against. It's similar to someone wanting to wear a religious symbol openly on their person but get discriminated against for it. You should be able to show that you are a christian, jew, muslim, buddhist, etc. without fear of being ostracized just for expressing that.

It is a very complex issue that is not a simple as letting a guy use a woman's bathroom. Honestly, I'd rather we not have to worry about all about identity politics and treat people as MLK wanted, by the content of their character. I don't give flying fuck what gender, race, religion, whatever you are. But I do care when people think it is ok to discriminate against someone because they are different than them (not accusing you of that btw, I don't actually know you). Similarly, I don't like when people use their gender, race, etc. to get away with something.

And that lion you mention doesn't know what gender is. WE have assigned a gender to it because we have big brains and need to catalogue and describe everything we come across. (Think of how confusing it must have been to see a seahorse give birth and be like wait, thats the male seahorse, what the fuck is happening?) Our big brains is part of what makes this an issue. We are sometimes too intelligent for our own good. We should be worrying about much bigger issues like not bombing each other and pollution issues, instead of whether or not someone with a penis and testicles can identify as female.

Joe315
07-09-2020, 01:11 PM

If I’m being honest I don’t exactly disagree with St. Troy. I worked for years in a hospital with a clinic for kids who believed they were transgender. They had kids as young as 5 (we all know who is pushing that decision). One of the tenants was that these kids be able to use the bathrooms they identified with. I can’t imagine subjecting my young daughter to a school or public place that would allow boys who believed they were girls to use their bathroom. I’m sure that would inflict some psychological harm on young girls not having a space to call their own free from boys because, although they might think they are girls, their genitalia says otherwise.

I do have an issue with how young some kids start identifying as the opposite gender and are given hormone treatments to reflect that identification. I don't think they have the intellectual capacity to understand transgenderism. And undergoing hormone treatments before their brains are fully developed (which doesn't happen until about age 27) has the potential to really fuck them up. Also, because of how gender roles can sometimes be experienced by children a girl who likes toy trucks and playing sports instead may think they are a boy when in reality they just like cars and sports. A boy who plays with a barbie and likes the color pink isn't a girl they just like barbies. Kids don't need to be asked to identify at that age. Let them enjoy kid things. As I mentioned in a previous post humans have the need to categorize things because we feel it'll help us better understand the world around us. Sometimes it helps and others it doesn't. Unless someone is hurting another in their pursuit of happiness we should just let people live.

Randall Flagg
07-09-2020, 01:19 PM
I'd guess that she is a woman.
I'd guess your are a man.

Joe315
07-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Has anybody actually taken a survey of (grown) women about who uses the "women's" room? In this day and age I seriously doubt many give a shit. Go to the stall, do your thing and out!
Or is this again just an argument by men trying to save us little ladies, like the pig-ignorant dumber than a doornail Texas Lt Gov who uses fear and hate to try to pass bathroom bills. I can guarantee we don't need your macho crap to protect us. More than likely some guy who goes into a women's room with evil intentions - some little lady is gonna blow off his male parts with her Walther. (Well, that's what I have). Little kids, maybe different story.

And to all the guys from 35, 40 years ago when there were really long lines at the women's rooms at the concerts at the Summit or Astrodome - thanks for letting us into your turf to go. And not ever a hassle when we asked if we could.

Wait....you're a girl?!

http://www.imgur.com/RiXFAzk.gif

mae
07-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Now, if you can put yourself in someone else's shoes for a moment, imagine your daughters were trans instead of cis. Would you want your trans daughters going into the boys bathroom, as they were assigned male at birth after all? Think about that, a trans girl in a boy's bathroom, where she would no doubt be treated with kindness and respect for her gender identity, because we all know how empathetic and kind teenage boys are in general.

mae
07-09-2020, 02:51 PM
I do have an issue with how young some kids start identifying as the opposite gender and are given hormone treatments to reflect that identification.

This actually doesn't happen, no one is given hormones under 18. What they may be given is puberty blockers, that's very different, and fully reversible. It gives them time to explore their gender and maybe they aren't trans, which is fine. But what puberty blockers allow is if the kid really is trans, they don't have to go through the wrong puberty, and their transition and societal passing will be that much smoother in most cases.

Joe315
07-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I do have an issue with how young some kids start identifying as the opposite gender and are given hormone treatments to reflect that identification.

This actually doesn't happen, no one is given hormones under 18. What they may be given is puberty blockers, that's very different, and fully reversible. It gives them time to explore their gender and maybe they aren't trans, which is fine. But what puberty blockers allow is if the kid really is trans, they don't have to go through the wrong puberty, and their transition and societal passing will be that much smoother in most cases.

Is that a legal thing or just doctor recommendation?

The long-term effects of the puberty blockers aren’t yet clear either. The idea of stopping your bodies growth scares me. What is it doing to your body? Your brain? How of going to affect you long term physically?

mae
07-10-2020, 06:23 AM
That is true but there are always benefits and risks with pretty much any medical treatment.

CyberGhostface
11-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Sometimes...the good guys win.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1325123218781343745

RichardX
11-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Sometimes...the good guys win.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1325123218781343745

I guess by implication he means everyone who voted for Trump (i.e. 70+ million Americans) are the "bad" guys. Way to bring us all together Stevie! Vilifying the opposition. That's the spirit of reconciliation. I thought for a second there that he might be condemning those "super spreader" gatherings to celebrate Biden's election. But apparently the virus threat is over. It's a miracle. It was too dangerous to vote in person but not to celebrate the election results. At least according to CNN. And why should we doubt them?

fitomad
11-08-2020, 11:46 PM
This has been a strange week for King followers on twitter...

It could be summarized in this post (https://lectoresconstantes.com/2020/11/08/tuits-de-la-semana-2-al-8-de-noviembre/)

RichardX
11-21-2020, 08:13 AM

It could be summarized in this post (https://lectoresconstantes.com/2020/11/08/tuits-de-la-semana-2-al-8-de-noviembre/)

Wow. I had missed this one. Beginning to think Old Steve is going completely off his nut. Is this an example of the spirit of reconciliation that was promised after the "divisive" Trump years?

You lost, you miserable self-entitled infantile fucker. Concede and get the hell out.
— Stephen King (@StephenKing) November 8, 2020

herbertwest
11-21-2020, 08:58 AM
Coz Trump is looking for reconciliation?

I don't think that anyone needs anymore proof that he's just selfish and thinks only about himself or his close relatives. Not exactly the way that a president is supposed to behave like

CyberGhostface
11-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Wow. I had missed this one. Beginning to think Old Steve is going completely off his nut. Is this an example of the spirit of reconciliation that was promised after the "divisive" Trump years?

You lost, you miserable self-entitled infantile fucker. Concede and get the hell out.
— Stephen King (@StephenKing) November 8, 2020

It’s hard to take complaints like this seriously when you take more of an issue with King criticizing Trump for undermining democracy over Trump actually undermining democracy.

King doesn’t owe Trump anything and it’s absurd to suggest he does.

Br!an
11-21-2020, 11:10 AM
Did King promise reconciliation?

CyberGhostface
01-02-2021, 03:09 PM
My wife and I were married 50 years ago today. It's been a hell of a good run.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1345338250349715458

Randall Flagg
01-02-2021, 03:29 PM
except for that one period...

CyberGhostface
01-06-2021, 03:23 PM
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity....
What rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches toward DC to be born?

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1346952902519111681?s=20

Hunchback Jack
01-07-2021, 12:35 PM
“Washington” would have scanned better, but I guess it would have been too ambiguous.

CyberGhostface
06-12-2021, 03:34 PM
In the very back of most refrigerators is a bottle that's been there 5 years, possibly longer. You no longer know what is floating in its murky depths of yuck, and you'd never eat it, but it stays there.
Brooding.
Mutating.
Waiting.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1403782880451600391?s=20

Br!an
06-20-2021, 07:32 AM
he wouldn't be able to do that if he'd made it a policy to hide what people don't want to hear. Interestingly, personal values of writers is a key question in this central controversy itself.

Nice bot post.

herbertwest
06-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Weirdly enough, there is no link in that post.
But maybe there was one planned ;)

Br!an
06-20-2021, 08:37 AM
It's a fairly new tactic. The bot writes a sentence or two which are innocuous but don't really fit in the thread or with previous comments. It might do that a couple of times in different threads. It will eventually post a spam link.

CyberGhostface
02-28-2022, 12:09 PM
I don't usually post pictures of myself, but today is an exception.

https://abload.de/img/u7exd640pmk8181kyu.jpg

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1498384503840067589

herbertwest
03-01-2022, 04:29 AM
My eyes were immediately attracted by a certain book near King's head :)

Bev Vincent
03-01-2022, 08:27 AM
I was pleased to see the one above his left shoulder! (And also one on the top-right shelf)

CyberGhostface
03-31-2022, 12:37 PM
Screen Rant asks the question America cares about most (not): Who is the greater villain, Randall Flagg or Pennywise. Have they not considered the possibility that THEY ARE THE SAME ENTITY?

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1509629947194880003

Curly
05-16-2022, 09:31 PM
Can this conversation be moved to a politics thread. It is now miles away from King.

stroppygoblin
05-17-2022, 02:10 AM
Can this conversation be moved to a politics thread. It is now miles away from King.

Done - Posts have been moved to a new thread here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?23727-Censorship):

EXPLORER
05-17-2022, 06:33 AM

Done - Posts have been moved to a new thread here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?23727-Censorship):

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU

Curly
05-17-2022, 09:22 PM
Thanks.

Bev Vincent
05-24-2022, 02:25 AM
Stephen King takes to Twitter to prove that his new book exists (https://newsofcanada.net/stephen-king-takes-to-twitter-to-prove-that-his-new-book-exists/)

CyberGhostface
06-14-2022, 06:43 AM
Early in my career, I spotted a woman reading CARRIE on an airplane. I made the mistake of asking her if she liked it. She thought it over and gave her 2-word critique: “Shitty read.”

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1536459345851981824

Iwritecode
07-06-2022, 06:00 AM
https://i.redd.it/z6g8tsrczu991.png

Ben Mears
07-06-2022, 11:06 AM
Wonder if SK will be flagged for disinformation.
No one is required to register their political views. The survey he is referring to is voluntary and anonymous. There is no registration mandate nor is any personal information collected. They are just trying to determine the level of intellectual diversity across Florida's College System. I would think the freedom to express differing viewpoints on a college campus is something SK would support.

CyberGhostface
07-06-2022, 11:38 AM
Seems a bit more complicated than that since the schools’ funding is impacted if the results aren’t to DeSantis’s liking

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/06/22/state-university-faculty-students-to-be-surveyed-on-beliefs/#

Lurker
07-06-2022, 12:19 PM
No one is required to register their political views.

2(b) The State Board of Education shall require each Florida College System institution to conduct an annual assessment of the intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity
at that institution. The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom...

I cannot believe how we are watching fascism take over the country and do nothing about it.

Ben Mears
07-06-2022, 12:55 PM
No one is required to register their political views.

2(b) The State Board of Education shall require each Florida College System institution to conduct an annual assessment of the intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity
at that institution. The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom...

I cannot believe how we are watching fascism take over the country and do nothing about it.

Again, no one is required to participate in the survey. Diversity administrators should welcome this as an opportunity to hear directly from students, faculty and staff if they feel comfortable expressing their viewpoints and beliefs on campus.

CyberGhostface
07-06-2022, 01:20 PM
And the losing of funding if they don't make DeSantis happy?

He's also planning on using the results for his own political ads so he clearly has an agenda here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-woke-indoctrination-school-board-survey-candidates-grievances-campaign-ads-2022-6

Lurker
07-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Baby steps.

Ben Mears
07-06-2022, 04:54 PM
And the losing of funding if they don't make DeSantis happy?

He's also planning on using the results for his own political ads so he clearly has an agenda here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-woke-indoctrination-school-board-survey-candidates-grievances-campaign-ads-2022-6

What if his supposed agenda is to make sure that all views and perspectives are welcomed, respected and supported? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

CyberGhostface
07-06-2022, 04:56 PM
If he believed that he wouldn’t be trying to prevent teachers from talking about racism or that gay people exist.

herbertwest
08-12-2022, 05:58 AM
"I have seen a close-to-finished cut of MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE, written and directed by John Lee Hancock, and it's nothing short of brilliant. Donald Sutherland, Jaeden Martell. Netflix. This fall."
> https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1558086042749751296

St. Troy
08-12-2022, 06:24 AM
...I really need to read If It Bleeds...

CyberGhostface
08-13-2022, 02:12 PM
How about this for a movie idea? CHILDREN OF THE CORN VS. PREDATOR. You'd just need the right star.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1558571056935362560

herbertwest
08-14-2022, 04:40 AM
"I'm trying to cheer myself up this afternoon. What happened to Salman Rushdie preys on my mind."
> https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1558571368316272640

mae
11-01-2022, 05:48 PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/elon-musk-twitter-blue-checkmark-stephen-king-1235252656/

Elon Musk has responded to Stephen King’s horrified reaction at his reported plan to charge all verified users for their blue checkmark — and in the process, confirmed the surprising and controversial idea is in the works.

On Monday, King went viral with his reaction to a report that Musk wanted to charge verified users a whopping $20 per month to keep their checkmark status. “$20 a month to keep my blue check?” King tweeted to his 6.9 million followers. “Fuck that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.” When a reader told King he could afford the fee, the best-selling author replied, “It ain’t the money, it’s the principle of the thing.”

FiveThirtyEight political guru Nate Silver similarly wrote to his 3.5 million followers: “I’m probably the perfect target for this, use Twitter a ton, can afford $20/mo, not particularly anti-Elon, but my reaction is that I’ve generated a ton of valuable free content for Twitter over the years and they can go fuck themselves.”

Early Tuesday, Musk responded to the uproar, replying directly to King: “We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot entirely rely on advertisers. How about $8?”

Musk then suggested that additional clarity on the matter is still to come: “I will explain the rationale in longer form before this is implemented. It is the only way to defeat the bots & trolls.”

Still later, Musk seemed to double down on the idea — and his suggested lower pricetag — by framing the fee as populist empowerment: “Twitter’s current lords & peasants system for who has or doesn’t have a blue checkmark is bullshit. Power to the people! Blue for $8/month.”

Critics have pointed out that verified accounts are not simply a free perk for a certain level of user, but rather a utility that makes the wild-west social media platform/hellscape more credible. Blue checks help everyday readers (as well as journalists) determine whether a comment being made by a purported public figure is actually from that person instead of a fan or impersonator. It is, in other words, a way of preventing the spread of fake news. TechCrunch dubbed Musk’s idea a potential “misinformation nightmare.”

“Musk and his buddies view this plan as a way to get people to actually give Twitter money,” TechCrunch noted. “But by monetizing a symbol that currently has value, they will ultimately remove all of that existing value.”

According to The Verge, Musk’s plan is to convert the $4.99 optional premium service Twitter Blue — which allows users to edit their tweets — into a mandatory program for those wanting to retain their verified status. Users would have 90 days to subscribe to the new program or will lose their blue checkmark. Musk reportedly told employees assigned to the program overall they would need to implement the new rules by Nov. 7, or they would be fired. No new program has yet been officially announced, however.

Previously, Musk had tweeted: “The whole verification process is being revamped right now.”

Tommy
11-01-2022, 06:13 PM
A lot of folks come to Twitter for the celebs and personalities with Checks. Musk seems determined to send some of them away. If anything, the celebs should be encouraged to stay along with their large followings.
And oh boy, did those exchanges generate some interesting responses from some folks telling SK that nobody would know who he was if not for Twitter. :emot-roflolmao:

Hunchback Jack
11-01-2022, 08:31 PM
Musk's/King's tweets notwithstanding, it seems like user verification has mutual benefit - to authenticate a particular user's identity, and to establish Twitter as a trusted platform.

I don't know what's involved in authenticating a given user, but a low one-time cost to do so wouldn't be unreasonable. Having an ongoing monthly cost - if no ongoing authentication is being done - just seems like a grift, though.

HBJ

Br!an
11-02-2022, 03:11 AM
Blue checks engender no trust at all. Either a person is trustworthy or they are not. If the person is full of it the blue check won't change that.

As far as verifying that it's a real person behind the account, every person on Twitter is a real person. Separating the nobility from the mobility might make the elites feel special but it doesn't improve the site.

Is it about verification of ID? Or simply a class division? Are they actually verifying anything? I can show them my driver's license and prove my identity. Do I get a blue check?

CyberGhostface
11-02-2022, 04:08 AM
Blue checks engender no trust at all. Either a person is trustworthy or they are not. If the person is full of it the blue check won't change that.

The only reason for a blue check is to show that the person is who they say are. It has nothing to do with whether they are trustworthy or not.

They implemented them because baseball manager Tony La Russa sued Twitter over an impersonator account.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-02-2022, 05:09 AM
King didn't want to join twitter. Scribner basically pushed him into it. Here is his first 2 tweets...

12:02 pm - 6 Dec 2013
My first tweet. No longer a virgin. Be gentle!

1:14 pm - 6 Dec 2013
On Twitter at last, and can't think of a thing to say. Some writer I turned out to be.

Iwritecode
11-02-2022, 06:36 AM
Someone pointed out that Musk is trying to do things backwards. Most social media platforms pay the content creators. Not the other way around.

Just look at the people that have become millionaires by just putting videos up on Youtube or Tik Tok.

And in turn they make those companies millions of dollars by bringing millions of people to the platform than they can now show ads to.

RichardX
11-02-2022, 07:23 AM
King didn't want to join twitter. Scribner basically pushed him into it. Here is his first 2 tweets...

On Twitter at last, and can't think of a thing to say. Some writer I turned out to be.

He would have done himself a huge favor by staying off it. The efforts of an old, rich white guy to stay "hep" with the new woke crowd are downright embarrassing. And much of time he misses the mark even with the woke crowd. This week he had made derogatory references to the appearance of a female due to her political views. It is sad that someone like King turned into a shill for the government including censorship of fellow writers. Forever tainting his legacy.

webstar1000
11-02-2022, 09:05 AM

He would have done himself a huge favor by staying off it. The efforts of an old, rich white guy to stay "hep" with the new woke crowd are downright embarrassing. And much of time he misses the mark even with the woke crowd. This week he had made derogatory references to the appearance of a female due to her political views. It is sad that someone like King turned into a shill for the government including censorship of fellow writers. Forever tainting his legacy.

"insert eye roll here"

CyberGhostface
11-02-2022, 09:44 AM

He’s only tainted his “legacy” in your eyes because he doesn’t share your political views. That’s what it comes down to. Like if you actually cared that King said someone looked like a Barbie doll because of all the makeup then I assume you condemned Trump for all the times he said worse about women, calling them “fat pigs” and etcetera? Probably not.

Otherwise his legacy is doing fine. He’s one of the world’s most celebrated authors and at 75 he’s still in the bestsellers list and Hollywood is sifting through his backlog to adapt his work.

webstar1000
11-02-2022, 09:58 AM

He’s only tainted his “legacy” in your eyes because he doesn’t share your political views. That’s what it comes down to. Like if you actually cared that King said someone looked like a Barbie doll because of all the makeup then I assume you condemned Trump for all the times he said worse about women, calling them “fat pigs” and etcetera? Probably not.

Otherwise his legacy is doing fine. He’s one of the world’s most celebrated authors and at 75 he’s still in the bestsellers list and Hollywood is sifting through his backlog to adapt his work.

NAILED IT.

Br!an
11-02-2022, 12:49 PM

The only reason for a blue check is to show that the person is who they say are. It has nothing to do with whether they are trustworthy or not.

They implemented them because baseball manager Tony La Russa sued Twitter over an impersonator account.

Then why don't a bunch of regular people have blue checks.

I admit ignorance as to Twitter. I've never had an account. I just read occasionally.

It seems like a person has to be a public personality of some sort to gain a blue check.

herbertwest
11-02-2022, 01:07 PM

I admit ignorance as to Twitter. I've never had an account. I just read occasionally.

It seems like a person has to be a public personality of some sort to gain a blue check.

Yes, up until now it had to be a public person. Or organisations / companies of some sort.
The reason behind it was explained above : it was a way to authenticate the person behind the profile to avoid people getting scammed by fake accounts and impersonator.

It (was) different from the "Twitter Blue" system where people could pay like 5 dollars a month for extra features

Bev Vincent
11-03-2022, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=CyberGhostface;1265995]

There was a very brief period when all you had to do was prove your identity -- that's how I got a blue check. I'll happily surrender it if they want me to pay for it. My friend Brian Keene, who is a pretty well known author, has never managed to get one and he is constantly trying to fend off accounts pretending to be him.

RichardX
11-03-2022, 12:23 PM

I know you can't get past that narrative, but I'm all for King having the right to make his political opinions known. Unlike him, however, I do not support censorship because others might disagree with me. I do not suggest it is dangerous for there to be opposing views to my own. King has used Twitter to advocate for censorship. He has used Twitter to insult others because of their political views. As you note, just this week he insulted the appearance of a female because she works on Fox News. I disagree with that and support free speech for everyone. Not just those that I agree with. I would not advocate censorship of any Democrat. Rather vote them out of office as will happen next week. That is how democracy works. A free exchange of ideas followed by an election in which the voters get to decide.

It does sadden and disappoint me that someone like King who, as a horror writer, was for many decades on the critical end of political correctness suddenly becoming a shill for censorship of others. He more than anyone should have stood up to the bullying instead of taking the cowards way out. King, as a writer, certainly has benefited from having the freedom to write books that many objected too. You only have to look to history to understand that artists are more dangerous propagandists than government bureaucrats. Orwell got that part wrong. The Germans recruited talented artists like Leni Riefenstahl to promote their cause. We have Hollywood-types and folks like King collaborating for censorship. History holds those types in contempt.

CyberGhostface
11-03-2022, 12:49 PM
I know you can't get past that narrative, but I'm all for King having the right to make his political opinions known.

You once called him a coward and a rat fink because he signed a petition to support trans people.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-08-2022, 09:01 AM
I think King is brilliant on Twitter. Whenever he causes a storm because of his beliefs, he just puts up a cudly picture of his corgi and all is forgiven. Check it out for yourself. :)

Ari_Racing
11-11-2022, 03:42 AM

I know you can't get past that narrative, but I'm all for King having the right to make his political opinions known. Unlike him, however, I do not support censorship because others might disagree with me. I do not suggest it is dangerous for there to be opposing views to my own. King has used Twitter to advocate for censorship. He has used Twitter to insult others because of their political views. As you note, just this week he insulted the appearance of a female because she works on Fox News. I disagree with that and support free speech for everyone. Not just those that I agree with. I would not advocate censorship of any Democrat. Rather vote them out of office as will happen next week. That is how democracy works. A free exchange of ideas followed by an election in which the voters get to decide.

It does sadden and disappoint me that someone like King who, as a horror writer, was for many decades on the critical end of political correctness suddenly becoming a shill for censorship of others. He more than anyone should have stood up to the bullying instead of taking the cowards way out. King, as a writer, certainly has benefited from having the freedom to write books that many objected too. You only have to look to history to understand that artists are more dangerous propagandists than government bureaucrats. Orwell got that part wrong. The Germans recruited talented artists like Leni Riefenstahl to promote their cause. We have Hollywood-types and folks like King collaborating for censorship. History holds those types in contempt.

It seems Democrats were not voted out of the office in the end :coo3l:

CyberGhostface
11-11-2022, 06:09 AM
Rofl I was this close to editing my post and adding "How'd that work out for you?" in response to that bit.

Br!an
11-11-2022, 03:28 PM
Certainly no red wave. The House and Senate still might flip Republican though. They're leading in both races.

That would turn Biden from merely a lame to a lame duck. :wtf:

herbertwest
11-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Talking about duck... a month or so ago, chess.com added a duck chess variant.
Meaning that a duck gets onto the chessboard to block moves :D

Quite funny and adding a complexity layers if you're into chess :)

> https://www.chess.com/terms/duck-chess

CyberGhostface
11-12-2022, 07:15 PM
Certainly no red wave. The House and Senate still might flip Republican though. They're leading in both races.

Uh.

Br!an
11-13-2022, 03:35 AM

Uh.

RealClearPolitics has given the Democrat candidate Nevada. They are .7 points apart with 98% reported. ~6500 votes difference. If that ends up being true the Democrats held the Senate.

There's no automatic recount in Nevada. The losing candidate can request one though.

mae
04-21-2023, 05:59 AM
https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/elon-musk-twitter-blue-fee-lebron-james-stephen-king-william-shatner-check-marks-1235590777/

The squeaky wheel gets the Twitter blue check-mark, it seems.

After Twitter’s mass revocation Thursday of thousands of “legacy” verified blue check-marks, carrying out owner Elon Musk’s long-promised purge of the “corrupt” system, several high-profile accounts still had the iconic blue badges… even though they evidently aren’t paying for Twitter Blue (the subscription service whose perks now include a blue check-mark).

Those included NBA superstar LeBron James, actor William Shatner and author Stephen King — each of whom had tweeted that they wouldn’t pay for Twitter Blue or had complained about Musk’s switch in the verification program.

Musk later said he was “personally” paying for Twitter Blue on behalf of James, Shatner and King. Musk, who serves as CEO of Twitter as well as Tesla and SpaceX, currently has a net worth north of $173 billion. (It’s unclear whether Musk is in fact paying his own company for those subscriptions or if Twitter is just waiving the fees.)

On Thursday, King expressed confusion about the situation, tweeting, “My Twitter account says I’ve subscribed to Twitter Blue. I haven’t. My Twitter account says I’ve given a phone number. I haven’t.” Musk later replied to him, “You’re welcome namaste 🙏.”

In October 2022, King, responding to an earlier report that Twitter was mulling a $20/month charge for blue check-marks, wrote, “Fuck that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.” The legendary horror writer added, “It ain’t the money, it’s the principle of the thing.” Musk at the time told King, “We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot rely entirely on advertisers. How about $8 [per month]?”

James had tweeted on March 31: “Welp guess my blue ✔️ will be gone soon cause if you know me I ain’t paying the 5. 🤷🏾*♂️.” And Shatner had tweeted at Musk, “Hey @elonmusk what’s this about blue checks going away unless we pay Twitter? I’ve been here for 15 years giving my ⏰ & witty thoughts all for bupkis. Now you’re telling me that I have to pay for something you gave me for free? What is this – the Colombia Records & Tape Club?🙄”

In addition to James, King and Shatner, other celebrities with massive Twitter followings — including Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Ellen DeGeneres and Miley Cyrus — also continue to display the verified blue check-mark. It’s unclear whether those accounts are paying for Twitter Blue or if Twitter is also comping them.

Ice-T, the actor and music artist, still has a verified blue check-mark on Twitter for some reason. He thinks the whole subject is fairly ridiculous. “The fact that we’re even discussing Blue Check marks is a Sad moment in society. Smh lol,” he tweeted Thursday.

Among other reactions, Ben Stiller tweeted, “No blue check, still feel like me.” Sesame Street’s Grover also commented on the loss of his blue badge. “My cute adorable blue checkmark is now gone, but I, your cute adorable blue monster, am still here!” the character told his 190,000 Twitter fans.

CyberGhostface
04-21-2023, 06:22 AM
Musk tried to make it look like King was paying for his own checkmark because King was one of the celebrities who was pretty vocal about not paying for Twitter Blue. Pretty pathetic and childish but that's to be expected. He's constantly trying to get King's attention on twitter nowadays and King just ignores him whenever he gets a tweet from him.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2023, 06:04 PM
If King had any balls and wasn't interested in using Twitter as a free platform, he would simply stop using Twitter. As in the past King is only interested in making money, while shelling out little or nothing. He's a duplicitous cheapskate.

CyberGhostface
04-21-2023, 07:06 PM
As in the past King is only interested in making money, while shelling out little or nothing. He's a duplicitous cheapskate.

He regularly donates millions to charity. The last thing he is is a miser.

Tommy
04-21-2023, 10:14 PM
If King had any balls and wasn't interested in using Twitter as a free platform, he would simply stop using Twitter. As in the past King is only interested in making money, while shelling out little or nothing. He's a duplicitous cheapskate.

I was under the impression that his publisher or manager or whatever kind of forced him onto Twitter. I've seen other writers say this so that they reach a wider, younger audience. I don't know if King really wants to be there or not.
And RF, you definitely know him more than I do but he has done a lot for different charities, including Haven

Here Are The Charitable Causes Stephen King Has Supported Over The Years (https://www.ranker.com/list/stephen-king-charitable-works/jodi-smith) This list is two years old.

EDIT: I do agree he should leave twitter.

Tommy
04-22-2023, 12:38 AM
Just to add to all the fun Musk is having, Twitter is now X corp when dealing with matters of business.

Twitter informed business users Tuesday it is now conducting business as X Corp., confirming a transition previously indicated in court filings as the firm's billionaire chief, Elon Musk, continues to reshape the social media company toward his ultimate vision of the X “everything app.”

And if you look in the corner of the app with the details, it does say. X corp now instead of Twitter

Tommy
04-22-2023, 12:41 AM
He's attacked PBS, NPR (both left X corp), The NYT and Substack within a week. Seems he has issues with organizations that provide news. Is he trying to make X Corp into a monopoly on News and Information? I really don't know what the hell he is doing but I'm no rocket scientist. Did everyone see his rocket explode btw?

Tommy
04-22-2023, 05:51 AM
"I think Mr. Musk should give my blue check to charity. I recommend the Prytula Foundation, which provides lifesaving services in Ukraine. It's only $8, so perhaps Mr. Musk could add a bit more."

@StephenKing

(about five minutes ago)

St. Troy
04-22-2023, 07:13 AM
Hey guys, maybe we can help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoG3e7MI34Q

CyberGhostface
04-22-2023, 07:41 AM
I got secondhand embarrassment just seeing the Babylon Bee logo there.

Tommy
04-22-2023, 04:19 PM
I got secondhand embarrassment just seeing the Babylon Bee logo there.

Same

Randall Flagg
04-22-2023, 04:30 PM
I can say several reasons why we stopped doing the fundraiser for The Haven Foundation, but there is little or nothing to be gained by the disclosure.

Tommy
04-22-2023, 05:14 PM
I can say several reasons why we stopped doing the fundraiser for The Haven Foundation, but there is little or nothing to be gained by the disclosure.

Fair enough. I don't know every(any)thing so I shouldn't have spoke on it.

Tommy
04-22-2023, 05:41 PM
Seems Musk is allowing Legacy Checks to stay with members that have more than a million followers. Making it up as he goes along.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2023, 06:25 PM
If someone ever asked, I'd probably tell the story...

St. Troy
04-22-2023, 07:34 PM
If someone ever asked, I'd probably tell the story...

Ok; let's have it.

Curly
04-22-2023, 11:01 PM
Go for it.

CyberGhostface
04-23-2023, 06:15 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one getting Annie Wilkes vibes from Musk.

https://abload.de/img/fuxqzcrauaertin20iv1.jpeg

https://twitter.com/Hellpug/status/1649982705302659072/

St. Troy
04-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Show me on the doll where the billionaire’s free service hurt you.

RichardX
04-23-2023, 11:53 AM

I agree. Like many others, King has decided it is easier to join the woke mob rather than risk criticism. It is truly sad to see him go down this road. History will judge him a coward.

CyberGhostface
04-23-2023, 12:00 PM
I agree. Like many others, King has decided it is easier to join the woke mob rather than risk criticism. It is truly sad to see him go down this road. History will judge him a coward.

You called him a coward because he signed a petition to support trans people and now you're saying he's a coward because he doesn't want to pay a billionaire for a blue checkmark? What does "woke" even mean in this context?

Show me on the doll where the billionaire’s free service hurt you.

I think Musk's obsession with King is more funny more than anything else at this point.

Joe315
04-23-2023, 12:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/sQ4hBax.jpg

Br!an
04-24-2023, 01:42 AM
Prytula Foundation purchases weapons so Ukraine can kill more civilians. Disgusting!

I'm quite sure King doesn't even take the tax deductions he's so philanthropic. :nope:

ICry4Oy
04-24-2023, 07:51 AM
What does "woke" even mean in this context?

Basically woke means "WAAAAAH, everything I don't like is woke".

Tommy
04-24-2023, 08:05 PM
Elon's burner account was found out today. He exposed it himself taking a screenshot of his account page. He is making about 122,000 a month from people that subscribe to his Personal Twitter account, have no idea how that works, what extra content is worth it? But in the process he exposed his little boy alt account, which follows King too.

@ErmnMusk

CyberGhostface
04-24-2023, 10:47 PM
But in the process he exposed his little boy alt account, which follows King too.

@ErmnMusk

Only 34 accounts being followed and King is one of them. Steve must be flattered Elon’s little boy persona is keeping an eye on him.

Br!an
07-10-2023, 03:58 AM
No more reading Twitter without an account. I can watch linked videos and follow a posted link to a page. Anything else requires a log in.

herbertwest
07-10-2023, 04:31 AM
I thought that they desactivated the need of an account the other day?

Bev Vincent
07-10-2023, 06:36 AM
I think they silently turned that feature back on again--I suspect it caused some issues with the platform they hadn't anticipated.

herbertwest
07-10-2023, 07:52 AM
True, the arrival of Threads feels threatening

Bev Vincent
07-10-2023, 08:27 AM
I haven't quite gotten the hang of Threads yet, but I'm enjoying BlueSky.

herbertwest
07-10-2023, 11:58 PM
I am on the waiting list for a bluesky invitation, and Threads is not available in europe for the moment...

CyberGhostface
09-21-2023, 08:00 AM
Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I now have as many years as there were trombones leading the big parade.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1704881249918005578

CyberGhostface
10-03-2023, 05:49 AM
I had hip replacement surgery. My right one, crushed in an accident in the summer of 1999, finally gave out.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1709202950923403400?s=20

RichardX
10-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Has King said anything about "A Haunting on the Hill" the sequel to the Shirley Jackson book? I know he is a big fan of Hill House. He lends his name to a lot of middling books. It's a pretty good book. I would assume he would be in clover over that.

mikeC
10-12-2023, 12:20 PM
Has King said anything about "A Haunting on the Hill" the sequel to the Shirley Jackson book? I know he is a big fan of Hill House. He lends his name to a lot of middling books. It's a pretty good book. I would assume he would be in clover over that.

I had never heard of it. I get wary of the word "tribute" that's used in the blurb. Is it worth a go?

RichardX
10-13-2023, 04:51 AM

I had never heard of it. I get wary of the word "tribute" that's used in the blurb. Is it worth a go?

I'm not quite finished with it but it's certainly readable. Anyone who enjoyed the original book will be entertained. It's authorized by the Jackson estate.

mikeC
10-13-2023, 12:06 PM

I'm not quite finished with it but it's certainly readable. Anyone who enjoyed the original book will be entertained. It's authorized by the Jackson estate.

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

RichardX
10-17-2023, 05:36 AM

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Goldsboro has signed copies if anyone is interested.

St. Troy
10-17-2023, 10:21 AM

Normally I'd consider something like this (a current writer's sequel to an old classic by a now-dead author) to be high cheese, but having read Elizabeth Hand (the author of A Haunting on the Hill), I'm more than willing to give it a chance.

There are certain books I will flog at every opportunity, and one of them is Hand's novella Wylding Hall - so go read it (that, and Peter Straub's Shadowland!).

Ben Mears
10-17-2023, 02:07 PM
There are certain books I will flog at every opportunity, and one of them is Hand's novella Wylding Hall - so go read it (that, and Peter Straub's Shadowland!).

Wylding Hall was an excellent book and is the reason I reserved A Haunting On The Hill at my local library. Looking forward to reading it.

Curly
10-17-2023, 11:26 PM
As this is meant to be about King on Twitter, I note that he has not tweeted since 5 October. Unusual.

Ari_Racing
10-19-2023, 08:20 AM
He RT today :)

mae
10-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Maybe he should've left his Twitter alone.

https://www.themarysue.com/why-is-stephen-king-endorsing-j-k-rowling-new-book-the-running-grave/

Another day, another disappointing endorsement of a transphobe. Stephen King has spoken out in support of J.K. Rowling’s latest book … which, while not the same as expressing support for her views, is still extremely disappointing. And all the more so because the book in question, The Running Grave, spells out quite clearly what Rowling thinks of trans people and autistic people.

THE RUNNING GRAVE, by Robert Galbraith: This is J.K. Rowling at her best, recalling the sheer readability of the Harry Potter books, but much darker. This got me through a difficult time.
— Stephen King (@StephenKing) October 26, 2023

Written under Rowling’s pseudonym, Robert Galbraith, The Running Grave is all about a cult, you see. A cult that—wait for it—preys on autistic people and encourages lesbians to have sex with men. J.K. Rowling might as well be standing over the reader and asking them, “Do you get it? Do you get it? Those cult members are a stand-in for the cult of gender ideology.” Stephen King not only liked the book, but he also said in his X post that it “got me through a difficult time.”

Okay, but I can think of many other people who are also going through a difficult time … because of views like Rowling’s.

King’s support of Rowling is a little puzzling when you consider that last time he mentioned her, it was to say that he’d been “canceled” by her. During an interview with The Daily Beast in 2021, the following exchange took place:

One thing I’d like to give you credit for is calling out J.K. Rowling for all her anti-trans proselytism. There was this bizarre exchange, wherein you responded to a fan’s tweet saying, “Trans women are women,” and she reacted by blocking you on Twitter and deleting a tweet praising you.

Jo canceled me. She sorta blocked me and all that. Here’s the thing: She is welcome to her opinion. That’s the way that the world works. If she thinks that trans women are dangerous, or that trans women are somehow not women, or whatever problem she has with it—the idea that someone “masquerading” as a woman is going to assault a “real” woman in the toilet—if she believes all those things, she has a right to her opinion. And then someone tweeted at me, “Do you think trans women are women?” and I said, “Yes, I do.” And that’s what she got angry about—my opinion. It’s like the old saying, “I don’t agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” So, nobody has “canceled” J.K. Rowling. She’s doing fine. I just felt that her belief was, in my opinion, wrong. We have differing opinions, but that’s life.

Well … we can say that King has taken a much more mature stance than Rowling over the past couple of years, I guess. And it is something, at least, that King has stood by his stance that trans women are women, even if he claims later on in the Daily Beast interview that “Jo’s opinion on trans women is an outlier in her entire political spectrum.” (It isn’t.)

But King dropping a positive comment about Rowling days after she went on another transphobic spiel about how she’d “happily” go to jail rather than change her views (something that wasn’t remotely on the table to begin with) has definitely got people on the defensive. And looking at the media landscape now, and how fraught it is with dangers for trans people, it’s easy to see why.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-27-2023, 10:07 PM
I heard he was off Twitter for a while getting his hip replaced. Hope he has a speedy recovery if so.

Ben Mears
11-21-2023, 01:46 PM

Recently finished A Haunting On The Hill and it was a decent story; more surreal than scary but worth a read if you liked The Haunting Of Hill House.

webstar1000
11-22-2023, 04:58 AM
I heard he was off Twitter for a while getting his hip replaced. Hope he has a speedy recovery if so.

He has some health issues on the go. This is correct.

CyberGhostface
01-23-2024, 10:34 AM
Look out, Jason...Freddy...Michael Myers...it's...THE RABBIT MAN!

https://images2.imgbox.com/e0/31/1zizb0oq_o.jpeg

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1749548462876598563

St. Troy
01-23-2024, 11:58 AM
It's probably meant as a goof, but I find that mask extremely creepy.

Tommy
02-16-2024, 03:26 PM
He pissed Elon off bigly simply by refusing to call Twitter X. Elon does not like being deadnamed, hmmmmm