PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Doctor Sleep Sept. 24th NYC

SirFolio16
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Hello all

Is anyone else going to the Stephen King Doctor Sleep reading event in NYC on Sept. 24th?

Merlin1958
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
I sure wish!!! Have a ball!!!

EXPLORER
09-12-2013, 08:09 PM
YES...... There are a few here who will be attending.

stkmw02
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I'll be there! Definitely excited to go... too bad Bill won't be there to meet in person!

Kingfan24
09-16-2013, 12:04 PM
I'll be there!

SirFolio16
09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Awesome... if anyone see's me there feel free to say hi... I have a pic on my profile page.... and my avatar is me zombified...

EXPLORER
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I'll be there! Definitely excited to go... too bad Bill won't be there to meet in person!
Hope to meet up with you among others...

George at C-Springs
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I guess it was too much to hope for that he would have done this at the Stanley in Estes Park!

EXPLORER
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I guess it was too much to hope for that he would have done this at the Stanley in Estes Park!
Hoping Boulder is going to be okay for the event considering all the flooding out there.

EXPLORER
09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Hoping Boulder is going to be okay for the event considering all the flooding out there.

Looks like things are okay there as their Facebook page shows another event this week at Colorado Chautauqua. Posted on FB 10 hr ago :
"Only three days left until the world premiere of REEL ROCK 8! Be sure to arrive early to enjoy the beer garden, sponsor booths and mingling with climbing fans. A couple tickets remain, but don't wait too long! Tickets.chautauqua.com"

tippy4
09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Any body need tickets to see King in New York?

One ticket in Row H
$44 plus shipping...you choose Priority or Express (I would go Express).

One ticket in Row N
$39 plus shipping...you choose Priority or Express (I would go Express).

One ticket in Row O
$34 plus shipping...you choose Priority or Express (I would go Express).

Priority = $9 and Express = $22.

EXPLORER
09-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Hello all

Is anyone else going to the Stephen King Doctor Sleep reading event in NYC on Sept. 24th?

WE"E HERE... Time to go see what trouble we can stir in The Big Apple tonight.

Merlin1958
09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Hello all

WE"E HERE... Time to go see what trouble we can stir in The Big Apple tonight.

Treat yourself to Peter Luger's over in Brooklyn (right under the bridge) Pricey, but well worth the trip and coin.

SirFolio16
09-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I used to live 2 blocks from their... they are pricey... but wow what great steaks....

Merlin1958
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I used to live 2 blocks from their... they are pricey... but wow what great steaks....

And the steak sauce!!!!

SirFolio16
09-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Damn... now my mouth is watering... lol. I live about a mile from it now... I think I may have to take a walk over within the next couple of days...

Merlin1958
09-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Damn... now my mouth is watering... lol. I live about a mile from it now... I think I may have to take a walk over within the next couple of days...

LOL And when you do, send me a bottle of the steak sauce. I'll reimburse ya!!! Ahh, the memories!!!

Randall Flagg
09-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Richard Cook just sent me this image from dinner last night.
Explorer and Deanna on the right, Richard's wife Karen on left with their children.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1379862682-Explorercooknyc.jpg

EXPLORER
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
TONIGHT .... Deanna and I decided it is our duty to research and see what we could find close to event that might work as a place to meet before or after NY EVENT.... First stop seems promising on 57th between 8th ; 9th Ave.... D. J Reynolds Pub & Restaurant shows promise. Reasonable food, decent price drinks, variety of drafts. good music. comfortable place....

Will keep you posted if we find better... and laptop does not die. or Can no longer type.

TwistedNadine
09-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Explorer, you're wearing my hat...

EXPLORER
09-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Explorer, you're wearing my hat...
..and they made sure I put in on for the picture... Tara, (Richards daughter) liked the look. .. she is a hoot.

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
TONIGHT .... Deanna and I decided it is our duty to research and see what we could find close to event that might work as a place to meet before or after NY EVENT.... First stop seems promising on 57th between 8th ; 9th Ave.... D. J Reynolds Pub & Restaurant shows promise. Reasonable food, decent price drinks, variety of drafts. good music. comfortable place....

WE DID NOT SPOT ANYTHING BETTER up near Gerald Lynch Theatre.....so a few of us plan to go to .
D. J Reynolds Pub & Restaurant on 57th between 8th ; 9th Ave . after the NY event...
FEEL FREE TO JOIN US !

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
I will be there with my daughter tonite...Section 35R Row O, seats 4+6...She was out of town when we saw King in Hartford in July so it is her turn tonite. I have 4 other tix from a customer in MA who cannot make it.

I have to leave right after the show though as I have to start my "Night Shift" here on my other job at midnight!

SirFolio16
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Anyone at the venue yet?

tippy4
09-24-2013, 03:33 PM
BUMP

Anyone see King before the event?

Explorer??????

Randall Flagg
09-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Explorer left me a VM saying he met/saw King before SK went into the the Good Morning America show. It sounded (VM was garbled) like he got some stuff signed.

tippy4
09-24-2013, 03:52 PM
GMA! That explains why I did not see him on TODAY!

Randall Flagg
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Wizardsrainbow just texted me and is furious. He asked me to post this:

"Pissed off here at king nyc...they changed from 1 book per ticket...i have 6...to one book per person...arrrgggghhh"

"Pls post that on site"

"I have 4 extrtrfa tix from a customer...now they are selling the extra seats...double selling the shits...reduces further chances of getting signed copy"

AKC
09-24-2013, 04:01 PM

"Pissed off here at king nyc...they changed from 1 book per ticket...i have 6...to one book per person...arrrgggghhh"

"Pls post that on site"

"I have 4 extrtrfa tix from a customer...now they are selling the extra seats...double selling the shits...reduces further chances of getting signed copy"

TRANSLATION = Cluster Fuck

tippy4
09-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Text him back and tell him to grab the smelliest homeless people he can find, and bring the into the venue.

DoctorZaius
09-24-2013, 04:46 PM
They better not try to pull this crap in Cambridge on Friday! King's website and Harvard's website very clearly say "Each ticket will include a first edition of Doctor Sleep. Mr. King will pre-sign a limited number of copies of Doctor Sleep, which will be randomly distributed, along with the other first editions, to ticketholders at the event." Seems pretty clear to me from both websites that if I have extra tickets then I am entitled to one of those copies, signed or not.

This is from King's website on the NYC event "Tickets are $40 for premium seats and $37.50 for rear, side and balcony seats and will include a copy of Doctor Sleep. The event will not include a book signing, but Stephen will be pre-signing a limited number of copies of Doctor Sleep, which will be randomly distributed at the conclusion of the event." I would shove this in their face and sue their asses - the problem is that the Center for Fiction's website is more ambiguous "The event will not include a book signing, but Stephen will be pre-signing a limited number of copies of Doctor Sleep, which will be randomly distributed at the conclusion of the event."

tippy4
09-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Just heard from one of the folks I sold a NY ticket to....she got a signed book!

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8945/04ix.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/04ix.jpg/)

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 07:18 PM
BUMP

Anyone see King before the event?

Explorer?????? NO.... other than at GMA

SirFolio16
09-24-2013, 07:19 PM
I got a signed one too.... Awesome!!!

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 07:27 PM

"Pls post that on site"

TRANSLATION = Cluster Fuck There were ways around that..... A Little Finesse works every time. I was able to use all my tickets..

DoctorZaius
09-24-2013, 07:29 PM

"Pls post that on site"

TRANSLATION = Cluster Fuck There were ways around that..... A Little Finesse works every time. I was able to use all my tickets..

Due tell, I am going to Cambridge on Friday! Did you get a signed book?

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 07:35 PM

"Pls post that on site"

Yes a couple.... and two other member/friends wound up with 3 out of 4 signed in their group

Roseannebarr
09-24-2013, 08:04 PM

"Pls post that on site"

Yes a couple.... and two other member/friends wound up with 3 out of 4 signed in their group

I had 12 tickets. 2 from twisted nadine and 10 that i purchased. I advertised on craigslist looking for humans to use my tickets free of charge, all i want is the book. I had over 10 calls and gave away my tickets at the event. Ended up with 4 books signed. 4 books out of 16. it was not my lucky night. 16? because people gave me 4 tickets in disgust, i went in line and got 4 more unsigned books.

TWISTED NADINE, We found another copy signed just not on the title page!! some body wasnt paying attention!!!

TRUE STory. Eddie - my brothers friend was so bored in the event he walked out of the event and watched the workers pulling signed copies from the piles. Students also were eligible for signed copies!! they had free tickets.

Worst run event ever!!! i ran into sk on the way out. he signed Thinner for me!!!!!!!!!! yeah made it worth while!!!! 2 more bachman books left!!!

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2013, 08:12 PM
I got completely shut out...WORST run event ever...nothing to do with not getting a signed book...just POOR event planning

Anyone selling??? I'm buying

david@bettsbooks.com

Kingfan24
09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Randall Flagg;803310]Wizardsrainbow just texted me and is furious. He asked me to post this:

"Pls post that on site"

I had 12 tickets. 2 from twisted nadine and 10 that i purchased. I advertised on craigslist looking for humans to use my tickets free of charge, all i want is the book. I had over 10 calls and gave away my tickets at the event. Ended up with 4 books signed. 4 books out of 16. it was not my lucky night. 16? because people gave me 4 tickets in disgust, i went in line and got 4 more unsigned books.

TWISTED NADINE, We found another copy signed just not on the title page!! some body wasnt paying attention!!!

TRUE STory. Eddie - my brothers friend was so bored in the event he walked out of the event and watched the workers pulling signed copies from the piles. Students also were eligible for signed copies!! they had free tickets.

Worst run event ever!!! i ran into sk on the way out. he signed Thinner for me!!!!!!!!!! yeah made it worth while!!!! 2 more bachman books left!!!

I'm not real sure how you can say that is "unlucky". I agree the event wasn't that greatly run but c'mon you got SIXTEEN BOOKS with 4 signed so you got 25 percent signed. Plus four totally free books.

Roseannebarr
09-24-2013, 08:14 PM
EVENT Update. This was the most disappointing SK event for me yet. Organizers pulled a fast one yesterday with an email Only one book per live person. The good news was that it was a complete cluster f... i walked in and got 4 tickets for books. unfortunately the system was rigged from the beginning workers *verified* were taking signed books for themselves random my butt!!!

event started 15 minutes late. weird weird format. Owen read from SK book, SK read from Owens Book they had a 7 minute chat - each asking one another 1 ONE did i say one! yep one question. Then Owen read from his book, SK read from his own book and then time for my favorite part!! questions from the audience. 2 questions from the audience screened by the event organizer. then it ended!!!! then the cluster f started. stand in line for what was supposed to be a 1 in 2 chance for an sk book. Not going to happen!! I turned in 4 tickets got 0 books signed.

Eddie got one and one of my guests got 1 not sure how we missed the other one, but i am glad i looked through all the books! one was signed on a wrong page.
then the best part ran into SK on the way out and got SK sig on Thinner and another Dr. Sleep!!!!

I will never, ever do a random signing book signing again!!! Eddie didnt think to record them "stealing" signed books, but he stayed out there. He called the organizer a liar. She said she was removing damaged books. she said one page was upside down. complete BS he said he was going to tell everyone that was coming out - good luck folks they have already been picked through the staff friends.

tippy4
09-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm not real sure how you can say that is "unlucky". I agree the event wasn't that greatly run but c'mon you got SIXTEEN BOOKS with 4 signed so you got 25 percent signed. Plus four totally free books.

I was about to say the same thing....I think you did just fine.

If you don't count the four tickets, that someone gave you "in disgust" that means you got four our of twelve (33%) plus your Thinner signed..... I think you did better than most....David got ZERO.

It is shitty the staff workers were pulling the signed copies.

Kingfan24
09-24-2013, 08:20 PM

And on top of that...if you don't count the four tickets, that someone gave you "in disgust" that means you got four our of 12......and I think you did better than most....David got ZERO.

I will be calling center for fiction tomorrow and giving them an earfull

Roseannebarr
09-24-2013, 08:28 PM

And on top of that...if you don't count the four tickets, that someone gave you "in disgust" that means you got four our of 12 (33%) plus your Thinner signed..... I think you did better than most....David got ZERO.

It is shitty the staff workers were pulling the signed copies.

Feeling better now!! I just had to vent. I should be happy with my success! My friend was texting me while i was in the theatre and it was driving me insane! He was telling me what they were doing out there!

It was fun to see owen and sk interact. i was over reacting and calming down!!! all the organizers were driving me crazy! Breathe relax and be happy!!! I hope i can forget the stealing part and i am extremely happy about thinner.

The worst part is, my other friend had a dr sleep in her hand, and i said no grab the paperback. by the time she found a richard bachman book in the bag he quit signing and jumped in the taxi!! I did not explain to her that Richard Bachman was Stephen King. she thought that wa s a different author. Lesson learned! everyone gets a sk biography update!!

tippy4
09-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Well shit...another person I sold a ticket to just posted one on ebay....bought my last three tickets yesterday for $108 total...less than what I paid for I think....but at least I did not get stuck with them.

Lucky bastard.

Doubt he will get the $500 he is asking...but if he does...more power to him!

AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-DOCTOR-SLEEP-HARCOVER-FIRST-PRINTING-1ST-EDITION-THE-SHINING-/111176320496?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item19e2a005f0)

redsoxfan565 (nicksportautograps) got one too..

LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-DOCTOR-SLEEP-HARDCOVER-1ST-EDITION-1ST-PRINT-BOOK-/151130155829?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item23300f2b35)

redsoxfan565
09-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I ended up with a couple, but I agree it was a complete mess. I've got a bunch of tickets for Harvard, and I'm contemplating just taking a loss on the tickets. Not sure how to play it. Hopefully they figure it out tomorrow in CO.

tippy4
09-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I would not touch this one if the buyer offered it for $10...

LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-DOCTOR-SLEEP-HARCOVER-FIRST-PRINTING-1ST-EDITION-THE-SHINING-/231061739001?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item35cc5a55f9)

The signature is highly suspect....shitty picture....maybe on purpose...or maybe just to get it on ebay asap.

stkmw02
09-24-2013, 09:31 PM
TOTALLY saw Explorer but didn't know it was him... but, I got my signed copy!! It was an AWESOME charity event!!

onlylivingboyinny
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Thoughts on this evening:

First and foremost, this event cost me $40. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I spent $200 for VIP at the previous Mark Twain House event and was naive to expect tonight's event to run as smoothly.

Entrance to the event was odd as some people were swiping CUNY ID cards to enter the turnstiles, others were walking around them. Just total disorganization. The line to enter the theater moved quickly and a pamphlet containing event info. served as your redemption certificate for 1 copy of Dr. Sleep. The event started approx. 20 min late, as previously mentioned. Owen and King collectively spent about one hour reading us a total of 4 passages from their respective books. Conversation between Owen and King was highly enjoyable but extremely brief, less than ten minutes. The Q&A consisted of two pre-selected audience questions handed to Owen via a stage hand.

Silly to advertise an event as "a conversation" when that wasn't the case.

Total cluster eff leaving the theater to the book piles, where crew took your pamphlet and handed you a *random* book from the pile. I don't doubt accounts mentioned earlier of signed books being removed by crew. On line to get my book, I observed a ticket-holder flipping open book covers on the pile to seek out a signed copy, which the crew should have prevented.

Out of my three friends, one pulled a signed.

The fact that these books are already on ebay for $500+ literally makes me sick. I'm truthfully not upset over not getting a book, but the total lack or organization and format of the event left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kudos to Mark Twain House last month.

(Please don't think I'm not grateful I went. Hearing King and Owen converse was warming to my soul)

End rant.

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 11:12 PM
TOTALLY saw Explorer but didn't know it was him... but, I got my signed copy!! It was an AWESOME charity event!! Sorry I missed meeting you.

wizardsrainbow
09-25-2013, 03:14 AM
I JUST COMPLAINED TO MARSHA ABOUT ORGANIZATION AND STAFF STEALING BOOKS...Hopefully she can prevent this from happening in Boulder and Harvard

Room 217 Caretaker
09-25-2013, 03:58 AM
If the below Ebay link is what the event signatures look like......I wouldn't want one in my collection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-DOCTOR-SLEEP-HARCOVER-FIRST-PRINTING-1ST-EDITION-THE-SHINING-/231061739001?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item35cc5a55f9

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Dr_Sleep_NY_Signature.JPG

The "SWOOP" isn't exactly King style.

Ralph Mulleins

elscorcho526
09-25-2013, 04:22 AM

First and foremost, this event cost me $40. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I spent $200 for VIP at the previous Mark Twain House event and was naive to expect tonight's event to run as smoothly.

Entrance to the event was odd as some people were swiping CUNY ID cards to enter the turnstiles, others were walking around them. Just total disorganization. The line to enter the theater moved quickly and a pamphlet containing event info. served as your redemption certificate for 1 copy of Dr. Sleep. The event started approx. 20 min late, as previously mentioned. Owen and King collectively spent about one hour reading us a total of 4 passages from their respective books. Conversation between Owen and King was highly enjoyable but extremely brief, less than ten minutes. The Q&A consisted of two pre-selected audience questions handed to Owen via a stage hand.

Total cluster eff leaving the theater to the book piles, where crew took your pamphlet and handed you a *random* book from the pile. I don't doubt accounts mentioned earlier of signed books being removed by crew. On line to get my book, I observed a ticket-holder flipping open book covers on the pile to seek out a signed copy, which the crew should have prevented.

The fact that these books are already on ebay for $500+ literally makes me sick. I'm truthfully not upset over not getting a book, but the total lack or organization and format of the event left a bad taste in my mouth.

(Please don't think I'm not grateful I went. Hearing King and Owen converse was warming to my soul)

End rant.

Wonderfully said. And this about sums the evening up. Thankful to have had the opportunity to attend and contribute to such a worthy charity. But the event organization was incredibly poor capped off with the well-documented woeful book distribution. I too observed ticket holders snatching books off tables to find, and if not, swap for signatures. My honesty and patience were rewarded with a signed book, but am sorry for those who weren't as fortunate. Especially considering the number of unoccupied seats (I counted at least 15 in my immediate area), you'd think folks should've had a better than 50% chance all told...or at least be given the opportunity to exchange at the end.

-Frank

Cook
09-25-2013, 04:41 AM
My family & I attended last nights event in NY and had a blast. Started the evening with an excellent Italian dinner, met some really nice people as well as a few fellow DT.orgers., met for drinks afterwards, scored three out of four signed books. Very happy we made the NYC/King/vacation trip.
I will post pictures when we get back home.

P.S. If anybody from the DT.org community is interested I will be selling 2 of the signed books w/tickets, programs etc.
PM me with reasonable offer if interested. (This is from 9/24/13, day of publication event "John Jay College NY")

Rahfa
09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Even though this had nothing to do with me, it's aggravating to hear about the random nature, apparent stealing or "reallocating" of the books, etc.

Going from prior experience, I bet the Harvard event goes a lot smoother - but no question the 250 signed books is just a bad idea. It might be better if he didn't sign any.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
It might be better if he didn't sign any.

Then these events would never sell out.

Rahfa
09-25-2013, 02:29 PM

He didn't sign for the Lowell event, and sold plenty of tickets...for an arena no less!

And even with the 250 books that's plenty of people who attended without an expectation of getting a signed copy.

But, I'll revise - he should either sign for all paid attendees, or not bother at all.

Cook
09-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Update !!
I have sold 1 of 3 acquired copies to a DT.orger, keeping 1 for myself....... 1 left for sale to a DT.org member only.
Sold

My family & I attended last nights event in NY and had a blast. Started the evening with an excellent Italian dinner, met some really nice people as well as a few fellow DT.orgers., met for drinks afterwards, scored three out of four signed books. Very happy we made the NYC/King/vacation trip.
I will post pictures when we get back home.

P.S. If anybody from the DT.org community is interested I will be selling 2 of the signed books w/tickets, programs etc.
PM me with reasonable offer if interested. (This is from 9/24/13, day of publication event "John Jay College NY")

Cook
09-29-2013, 09:38 AM
A few pictures from the SK/NY trip, this 1st set is the 9/11 Memorial:

This Reflection of the New WTC caught my eye.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13457_zps3c988ac6.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13418_zps387eda77.jpg

Memorial North Pool:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13420_zpsd12d9866.jpg

Inside the Footprint:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13425_zps7652d1d7.jpg

I can't truly explain how this felt:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13428_zpsaba95ad3.jpg

I just thought this was nice, weather was so beautiful the whole week.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13440_zps856eed4d.jpg

My wife Karen & myself at 9/11 Memorial
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee373/richardcook59/09-28-13475_zps5abbfeac.jpg

More to Come....

Merlin1958
09-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Awesome, Rich!!! They did do an absolutely wonderful job on the memorials!!! Sad, but inspiring at the same time.

Ben Staad
09-29-2013, 05:29 PM
The tower is impressive but the memorial truly moves me. Great pictures and my guts are in knots.

bdwyer19
09-30-2013, 05:28 AM
I was just there on Friday. Truly moving for me was the way the water in each of the pools just flows down into the abyss.

stkmw02
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
My experience at the event (might as well start as Dear Diary...)
I had my first opportunity to see King when I was 10 years old, but missed the event when I was hospitalized. Every event after that went pretty much the same way... either I couldn't get a ticket or there was some reason I wouldn't be able to attend anyway. So, you'd think I would have been so excited about the NYC event that I'd be rambling on and on to everyone about my anticipation. However, being afraid and reluctant to leave my new son home for the day made me much less excited...

My husband and I found ourselves a babysitter and made the trip to NYC for the King(s) event. We spent a few hours browsing The Strand (picked up a t-shirt and hat for him, a list of books to buy later for me, and four books for the son I was already missing even more than I expected) and the comic store nearby before meeting my sister-in-law for dinner at The Coffee Shop diner (where the bathrooms were gross, but the food was delicious). We hopped on the subway and made our way to the reading.

At first, we entered the building from the wrong street and security rerouted us. Once we found the theater entrance, we went through the open turnstile and got in line. I saw some people uncertain how to get to the line, some approaching the book tables near the doors, and quite a lot of confused students. I would have been pissed to leave class and find out - for the first time - Stephen King was at my school!

As we entered, a guy ripped the corner of our printed tickets. The girl distributing the papers to claim the books was not quite visible enough and we almost walked right past her in our excitement to find our seats. Luckily, the woman passing out the other pamphlets pushed us back. At this time, I heard someone ask for a second program and not receive one. I was glad they chose to enforce one-book-per-person, because I personally feel you buy a $40 ticket to experience the reading and get the book as a bonus, especially at a charity event. (Years ago, I missed out on a few events because tickets sold so fast and I was bummed later when I learned the venues had tons of empty seats. I was happy to see they filled these seats with pink-program guests who could enjoy the reading. It is my understanding those pink-program guests were students, not re-sold tickets. They did not receive any free books, nor did the books they purchased have a chance at being signed.) I of course understand the frustration for those who purchased multiple tickets and were not told it would be one book per person, rather than one book per ticket. I too would be upset in your situation. We found our seats and discovered there had been a lot of confusion... after quite a few people moved to their correct seats, we were settled in.

I absolutely loved watching Stephen's reaction to Owen's reading. I thought it was very interesting that Owen read from a printed packet of pages, while Stephen used an iPad. I also thought their interactions between the readings were genuine. It was so neat to see their similar mannerisms. I found myself imagining what it was like for Owen to grow up with novelist parents, and wondering if someday my husband and I could have the honor of working with our own son. I also reeeallly loved being introduced to Owen's writing for the first time. I'll be picking up his works after Christmas.

I wasn't happy about the way they handled the Q&A. My note card was never collected and they barely had any discussion during that segment of the event. I also thought it was interesting that they expressed an intent to crack down on photography/recording, but clearly did not. I'm obviously a stickler for rules, so I didn't get any pics in the event itself.

As we left the theatre to collect our books, it was difficult to figure out what exactly the procedure should be. There were multiple tables of books and a huge crowd of people with little direction. My husband got pushed ahead and I could see him standing past the crowd. My sister-in-law and I stuck together. I grabbed a book and then noticed the corner was crushed in, so I asked if I could place it back for an undamaged one. The girl told me that was okay, since I had not opened the book. My sister-in-law then handed her a book with a ripped cover and took another one. The girl said, "You're really not suppose to touch more than one book." My sister-in-law said, "I just don't want a damaged book, and your table is full of them."
We made our way out toward the doors. My husband opened his book - no signature. My sister-in-law opened hers - none. With a Golden Ticket, I could vomit at any time feeling, I opened mine... and turned to the page with a signature! My husband said he'll never forget the relief in my face. When I showed my sister-in-law, she realized she hadn't turned far enough in the book and found a signature too. At first, she tried to give the book to my husband since he paid for her ticket, but we have no need for two signed copies (actually, having the non-signed gives us one to read safely around baby fluids). So, we did some posing for photos and then grabbed a cab home. We made it back at around 3am, just in time for me to snuggle my son before "waking up" at 5am for work.

This is the only signed King book I have and I'm so psyched to have it as a reminder of the event! I wish I'd been a little more proactive on here beforehand so I could have met a few of you... perhaps for the next event!

SirFolio16
09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Out of curiosity was anyone sitting in or around row E on the right?

Randall Flagg
09-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Great news getting two books. Congratulations.

jhanic
09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
A great story, Krystle! Congratulations on finally seeing King!

By the way, I cracked up on your statement about "baby fluids"!

John

Merlin1958
09-30-2013, 05:06 PM
The tower is impressive but the memorial truly moves me. Great pictures and my guts are in knots.

I was just there on Friday. Truly moving for me was the way the water in each of the pools just flows down into the abyss.

I was in the Mid-town Tunnel when the second plane hit and you could not proceed at that point. I was cleared for an emergency business reason to go to a customer site on Greenwhich St was a street that sort of bi-sected the WTC and my second or third thought was that they had to go back up just as they were. However, the amazing job they ended up doing on those memorials, well hands down that was the way to go. The Tower is secondary. There's a documentary I saw that goes in depth on a lot of the workers, vendors and specialized craftsman that contributed to the memorials and it is very moving. I forget what it was called, but it was on the "History" or "Discovery" channels I believe.

Gris
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Just found this thread. With I had seen it before the event. LOL.

Who was I talking to in the waiting area with the 9/11 steel monument before we went and stood in line? With you brother's friend? Roseannebarr, was that you?

I complained to BrownPaperTickets about this whole debacle and they said they can't issue a refund. over a dozen emails and calls to Center for Fiction have gone unanswered. Marsha basically told me "too bad so sad".

My wife and I only had 2 tickets, so that part didn't affect me directly, but damn it must have sucked for David and Roseannebarr.

The 200 free tickets for students who could also get a signed copy pissed me right the frack off. Not letting us trade unsigned copied for left-overs pissed me right the frack off.

Roseannebarr actually saved our ass. My wife and I were the first ones in. The dumbf*ck, Sh*tbrained kid taking the tickets didn't give us our super-secure white photocopied paper that entitled us to the a shot at one of the 10 unsigned books that the rest of the Sh*tbrained, F*ckbag children that were "running" this thing didn't steal.

Next time around, I'm saying F*ck karma. I'm printing 30 copies of the PDF ticket that they didn't even scan, just ripped the corner off of, and going through the line as many times as I can.

Oh yeah, EXPLORER, I did see you there. The hat and hair make you very distinctive. I didn't know it was you. LOL. HI!!!

David, it was great seeing you again. If you get anywhere with Marsha, please keep us in mind if you are able to get something signed or whatever.

Roseannebarr, congrats on the signed Thinner.

Randall Flagg
10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Rack him. Great rant. BTW, no asterisks needed for cuss words.

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2013, 07:26 PM

End rant.

of course... I'm totally pissed off...

I stood in a line, paid over 40 bucks and only got two unsigned copies of Dr. sleep (at the local Barnes and Nobles)... I didn't get to hear Owen or Stephen... because alas... I live in Austin, Texas and Owen or Stephen King- neither one ever come to this region of the country....
and people have these very 1st edition unsigned books for sale already on ebay and in stores everywhere... I can't believe it!

I'd be happy to pay 40.00 for 1 hour of seeing and hearing King live... screw the signed books.

alas... won't ever happen within 900 miles of where I live.

Some take for granted what others covet

Sir_Boomme
10-01-2013, 07:37 PM

I'd make a big bet on that... a least they would in my neck of the woods.

just a thought, perhaps king should quit going to the same areas and try something new...

Bev Vincent
10-02-2013, 03:25 AM
I didn't get to hear Owen or Stephen... because alas... I live in Austin, Texas and Owen or Stephen King- neither one ever come to this region of the country....
I'd be happy to pay 40.00 for 1 hour of seeing and hearing King live... screw the signed books.

It happened closer than that, and not all that long ago -- two appearances by SK in Dallas for 11/22/63

Gris
10-02-2013, 05:03 AM
I'm calmer now...

My take on the actual content of the event...

How it went down...

The Moderator introduced them.

Stephen read a chunk of Double Feature

Owen read a chunk of Doctor Sleep

Owen produced a Stephen King trivia book and proceeded to ask Stephen King 3 questions. This all took maybe 8 minutes
1) Where was Stephen King Born. Stephen answered that correctly
2) Who was the bartender in the Overlook. Stephen answered this incorrectly
3) I can't remember the exact question. Something about "Dark Half" i think.

(staff collected Q&A questions)

Stephen read from Doctor Sleep

Owen read from Double Feature

2 Q&A questions were given to Owen to ask Stephen. This took 5 minutes.

I really liked seeing Owen and Stephen reading from each other's books. Before Stephen read from Double Feature he made the comment (paraphrasing) "There is no greater honor than having your son read your book, than reading your sons." Great statement.

I kind of wish they had skipped the whole second reading, where they read their own book. I would have much rather had more talking between the 2 of them. I also would have really liked an opportunity to get a copy of Double Feature signed. I understand the monetary value of a King signature, and that king is the primary drawer to an event like that, but I really wish more emphasis was given to Owen during the whole thing. Even the short excuse for a Q&A ignore Owen other than him being the one to ask the questions. I know a LOT about Stephen King. I would have loved to get to know more about Owen.

My wife and I were towards the back. Another thing that was pretty annoying was photography. Of course they say none allowed, and of course people do. I did. I use my phone, turn the flash off, turn the shutter sound off and take pictures between the people in front of me, not holding the camera up high to get a clearer shot. OMG THE KIDS WHO WERE USHERS!!! Non-stop from behind me, the ushers are there with their phones!! Every 30 seconds there were flashes and shutter sounds, non-stop the whole time.

That reminds me of 2 other things...

1) If you are the woman who was in my row, in the first seat, that took a video of the whole thing with your phone, are you here? I'd love to get a copy.
2) There was an official videographer. I spoke to her after the show and she said the video would be available at CenterForFiction.org, probably for a fee.

Also, FWIW, Double Feature was pretty enjoyable. I started it a few weeks ago, but just finished it yesterday.

Sir_Boomme
10-02-2013, 05:35 AM
I didn't get to hear Owen or Stephen... because alas... I live in Austin, Texas and Owen or Stephen King- neither one ever come to this region of the country....

It happened closer than that, and not all that long ago -- two appearances by SK in Dallas for 11/22/63

damn... and you didn't take me?? I'm hurt Bev.... :(

That must have happened during my stretch of 80+ hour work weeks when I wasn't checking in here. figures..... waaah
<== goes and kicks the dog .... grumble grumble...

PS. luckily I'm down to a schedule of 65 hours a week now... so I can check in/post a couple of times a week.

pss. I'm guessing they were sold out though... right?

Bev Vincent
10-02-2013, 07:02 AM
November 2011. The one at the Majestic Theater was sold out, I'm pretty sure, but the one at the high school the following night probably wasn't that hard to get into. All you had to do was buy a copy of the book from the sponsoring bookstore.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-02-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm guessing they were sold out though... right?

Yes, and most folks got six or seven books signed each.

:unsure:

Roseannebarr
10-02-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm calmer now...

My take on the actual content of the event...

How it went down...

The Moderator introduced them.

Stephen read a chunk of Double Feature

Owen read a chunk of Doctor Sleep

Owen produced a Stephen King trivia book and proceeded to ask Stephen King 3 questions. This all took maybe 8 minutes
1) Where was Stephen King Born. Stephen answered that correctly
2) Who was the bartender in the Overlook. Stephen answered this incorrectly
3) I can't remember the exact question. Something about "Dark Half" i think.

(staff collected Q&A questions)

Stephen read from Doctor Sleep

Owen read from Double Feature

2 Q&A questions were given to Owen to ask Stephen. This took 5 minutes.

I really liked seeing Owen and Stephen reading from each other's books. Before Stephen read from Double Feature he made the comment (paraphrasing) "There is no greater honor than having your son read your book, than reading your sons." Great statement.

I kind of wish they had skipped the whole second reading, where they read their own book. I would have much rather had more talking between the 2 of them. I also would have really liked an opportunity to get a copy of Double Feature signed. I understand the monetary value of a King signature, and that king is the primary drawer to an event like that, but I really wish more emphasis was given to Owen during the whole thing. Even the short excuse for a Q&A ignore Owen other than him being the one to ask the questions. I know a LOT about Stephen King. I would have loved to get to know more about Owen.

My wife and I were towards the back. Another thing that was pretty annoying was photography. Of course they say none allowed, and of course people do. I did. I use my phone, turn the flash off, turn the shutter sound off and take pictures between the people in front of me, not holding the camera up high to get a clearer shot. OMG THE KIDS WHO WERE USHERS!!! Non-stop from behind me, the ushers are there with their phones!! Every 30 seconds there were flashes and shutter sounds, non-stop the whole time.

That reminds me of 2 other things...

1) If you are the woman who was in my row, in the first seat, that took a video of the whole thing with your phone, are you here? I'd love to get a copy.
2) There was an official videographer. I spoke to her after the show and she said the video would be available at CenterForFiction.org, probably for a fee.

Also, FWIW, Double Feature was pretty enjoyable. I started it a few weeks ago, but just finished it yesterday.

You transcribed the event perfectly. Our frustrations came from the way the event was handled. Not the actual event itself. Alot less reading and more conversation would have been nice, but it is what it is. My friend was so excited just to hear SK read from his book. It was a dream come true for him.

If the organizers would have been organized it would have been a great event. But all the confusion and stress kind of deflated the event. I found ten people to use my tickets and the organizer couldnt understand how i ended up with 10 books- practically accused me of stealing!! I went on craigslist in NY and advertised free SK event and had 10 takers immediately!

Gris
10-02-2013, 07:54 AM
You transcribed the event perfectly. Our frustrations came from the way the event was handled. Not the actual event itself. Alot less reading and more conversation would have been nice, but it is what it is. My friend was so excited just to hear SK read from his book. It was a dream come true for him.

If the organizers would have been organized it would have been a great event. But all the confusion and stress kind of deflated the event. I found ten people to use my tickets and the organizer couldnt understand how i ended up with 10 books- practically accused me of stealing!! I went on craigslist in NY and advertised free SK event and had 10 takers immediately!

Thanks for getting our book vouchers for us. I would have gone full-blown Jack Torrence on them if we didn't get the books because of their stupidity.