PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stutzman Art/Book Project Poll

Randall Flagg
06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Mark Stutzman wanted to get member feedback about an art project and book he is considering.
The art project is a limited edition print series that will be signed and numbered. They are the five covers he illustrated plus a bonus cover that was never published for Just After Sunset. The limited edition 22x28 prints that will be signed and numbered are limited to 500 per print.
Examples of the art can be found here: (http://www.eloqui.com/Print%20Sales/KingPrints.html)
The other concept is a soft bound book, 6”x9” in a landscape format.
The book content is broken into chapters for each cover. There is an intro spread that describes the book's content and intent from my personal perspective. Each chapter opens with an image of the final cover being discussed. I'm showing all of my thumbnail sketches, intermediate sketches and final work without typography. All of them but CELL are wraparound images displayed as full pages. It's very illustration heavy since it's the best way to tell the stories. Each illustration is captioned so there is more insight beyond the running text. Part of the content is the evolution of my working relationship with the art director, whom I worked with on all six covers. I discuss the development of ideas derived from each book, missteps that may have occurred and some person impressions of the experience. There is a bit of humor in some chapters but overall it's written to enlighten readers about how a cover goes from words to a visual. It's understandable to the lay person but also written almost as a how-to book for young illustrators. There isn't much discussion of the actual books other than their influences on the covers.
There are two sections to the poll. Please choose one of the preferences about the prints, and choose one of the preferences about the book.
A) 22x28 Signed Limited Prints:
1. I would be interested in a SET OF SIX signed limited prints if less than $300
2. I would be interested in ONE signed limited print if less than $75
3. No thanks

B) 6x9 Chapbook:
1. I would definitely be interested in an UNSIGNED book if less than $30
2. I would definitely be interest in a SIGNED book if less than $50
3. I would not be interested in this book at any price

ART Examples:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1372098585-Untitled2.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1372098345-Untitled.png

Tito_Villa
06-24-2013, 10:16 AM
One of my favourite artists, I would be interested in the limited prints!

Patrick
06-24-2013, 10:27 AM
I'd buy the signed limited edition book. I might buy the matching number art portfolio set depending on price.

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Unsigned chapbook for less than $30.

I'd go for a portfolio in the It style from CD, accompanied with a chapbook about each piece of art. 500 print run might be a little high though.

mikeC
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Great artwork, interested in all but I'd rather have art signed by the artist than by a book of art signed. That's how my mind works.

ELazansky
06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Mark had told me about these plans when he did my Duma Key remarque - I would definitely buy a set of signed prints and a signed chapbook

Ben Staad
06-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Neither of these interest me. Sorry.

Shannon
06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
This is a great idea! But since i don't collect anymore, they're both a no for me.

Also, just to be clear, this post is about gauging interest. If you select YES, I WOULD PURCHASE THIS ... then please do.

TwistedNadine
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I might buy one of the prints but I would DEFINITELY buy the signed book. Sounds pretty cool.

Patrick
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
...Also, just to be clear, this post is about gauging interest. If you select YES, I WOULD PURCHASE THIS ... then please do.

Only one of the polls uses the word, "definitely," the other poll does not.

Neither poll makes a straightforward request for a commitment to buy. The wording you use in your post is not used in the polls.

TwistedNadine
06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Actually they all say "interest" and none imply a definite purchase.
Does that really need to be clarified?

Patrick
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Also, I see a number of responders using the word, "chapbook," in their commentary. I may have a different (possibly incorrect) understanding of the word. To me, a soft cover book (referenced in the poll) is higher quality than a mere chapbook. Am I mistaken, or am I missing something? I'd love to hear to hear from you guys on what constitutes a chapbook.

Thanks.

Patrick
06-24-2013, 01:31 PM
My understanding is the same as yours. Therefore Shannon's post confused me and I responded to it.

TwistedNadine
06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
My understanding is the same as yours. Therefore Shannon's post confused me and I responded to it.

The question was for Shannon actually. Your post made sense

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Also, I see a number of responders using the word, "chapbook," in their commentary. I may have a different (possibly incorrect) understanding of the word. To me, a soft cover book (referenced in the poll) is higher quality than a mere chapbook. Am I mistaken, or am I missing something? I'd love to hear to hear from you guys on what constitutes a chapbook.

Thanks.

Different publishers use this same term for different formats so it's really hard to know what you're getting. CD does the half-size stapled chapbooks, small press publishers like Bad Moon publish perfect-bound paperbacks and call them chapbooks. This one would hopefully be a perfect-bound paperback but I'm not even sure if you can do that for a book with so few pages.

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Here's an example:
http://camelotbooks.com/uploads/Anathema_Cell_deluxe.jpg

That is Camelot's idea of a hardcover chapbook. This is the description:
limited to 50 signed and numbered copies 1/2 bound in black leather binding with French Marble papers and color cover artwork tipped in.

That's the $50 edition. They're also doing a paperback edition of 100 at $15 and this is what the website says:
limited to 100 signed and numbered copies in wrappers with color cover artwork

Shannon
06-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Of course there is no obligation to buy, but what i meant was that this is a poll to see if it is worth it to produce these items. If everyone says they're interested but no one actually buys, then that is quite a lot of money down the drain.

Patrick
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
WDIL, thanks for clarifying how different publishers apply the term differently.

When I think of chapbooks, I think of the neat little black-and-white fold-and-staple jobs that CD puts out. Your other examples are higher quality productions that make more sense to me when considering an art book.

Thanks.

Randall Flagg
06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Of course there is no obligation to buy, but what i meant was that this is a poll to see if it is worth it to produce these items. If everyone says they're interested but no one actually buys, then that is quite a lot of money down the drain.
The poll is a "gauge" of interest. Stutzman can and will do what he wishes with no commitment from members.
I made a "wild" estimation about the "chapbooks" and thought the ratio would be about x5-x10.
If 25 members here said yes, I believe that Stutzman could sell 125-250 copies.

Ari_Racing
06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
LOL. I was planning to post this thread last week but I was unable to do it. I'd purchase the whole set.

By the way, the illustration Mark did for Just after sunset is astonishing!

harrison ryan
06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
By the way, the illustration Mark did for Just after sunset is astonishing!

Link, please?

Ari_Racing
06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
It hasn't been posted online as far as I know, so until I have green light from Mark I won't be able to share it.

I've just checked again the poll and realized that the prices I talked with Mark are completely different. Each signed and limited print costs $295 and the whole set of five prints + Just after sunset print + a special folder to keep the prints + the limited book costs $1500. I'll check it out and let you know if this was the correct price or not.

WeDealInLead
06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Each signed and limited print costs $295 and the whole set of five prints + Just after sunset print + a special folder to keep the prints + the limited book costs $1500. I'll check it out and let you know if this was the correct price or not.

Good luck with those prices if they're correct.

Tito_Villa
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
I would never buy at those prices, not sure I would even buy a single print at $295

Randall Flagg
06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
It hasn't been posted online as far as I know, so until I have green light from Mark I won't be able to share it.

I've just checked again the poll and realized that the prices I talked with Mark are completely different. Each signed and limited print costs $295 and the whole set of five prints + Just after sunset print + a special folder to keep the prints + the limited book costs $1500. I'll check it out and let you know if this was the correct price or not.
There was miscommunication between Stuztman and myself (I take the blame) about the print prices.
I became aware of the mistake after the poll was live and had multiple votes. I think that had the poll stated the 6 prints would be ~$1.5K, the votes would have been 90%+ "No Thanks".
It seemed better to let Stutzman see the results with the significantly lower price, than abort the poll.
He can still gauge interest.

I accept the blame for the screwup.

Ari_Racing
06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I've just checked Mark's website and the prices I showed are correct.

http://eloqui.com/Print%20Sales/KingPrints.html

Just saw Jerome's post.

Ari_Racing
06-26-2013, 01:33 PM
IMHO, the prices are not actually wrong. Michael Whelan's prints cost $195 for the five that we know and $400 for the one of Roland with the clock. And those prints have the same size of this one (I'll post a pic of the Duma Key print soon).

Randall Flagg
06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I could remove the poll and try again....in fact I will do a new poll just on the prints.