PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's Revival Book Tour-Collecting Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dan
11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Will I be wasting my time by bringing a book with me to Wichita? I know there is no signing, but I can't help but think that I would be mad at myself if an impromptu signing happened and I didn't have anything. But if there is zero chance, I don't want to risk ruining anything.

becca69
11-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Ricky and I are in the nose bleeds. Love DC at rush hour!

surly
11-12-2014, 03:54 PM
row H, stage left aisle seat.

is anyone meeting up after?

becca69
11-12-2014, 05:04 PM
We could :D

AKC
11-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Will I be wasting my time by bringing a book with me to Wichita? I know there is no signing, but I can't help but think that I would be mad at myself if an impromptu signing happened and I didn't have anything. But if there is zero chance, I don't want to risk ruining anything.

You'll be kicking yourself if you don't have a book with you should the opportunity present itself. Just leave the DJ at home and risk for damage goes way down!

Good luck!

Gris
11-12-2014, 05:33 PM
We might be able to. How are we going to find each other

tippy4
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Tippy4, TwistedNadine, Explorer, and Cook have invaded Kansas!

Randall Flagg
11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
KC Right now 25 degrees. Hope you are indoors:)

Keep us posted. We are living vicariously through you guys (gals).

Lookwhoitis
11-12-2014, 07:22 PM
I was on the left side too, row HH about halfway up. Got kind of pisssed when my section was the last one allowed out in the whole bunch of 1500 people. There probably were zero signed books in that last dregs of the book pile by that time...

I did not get a signature.

The talk was GREAT and worth the price of admission alone. King was really down to earth and funny. He was a good speaker and the crowd was pumped.

My fave thing was that he hinted desire to write another DT book (Jehrico Hill) A sequel or continuation to The Stand, and v3 of the Talisman series!

Since those are some of my Favorite Sai King works of all time, I'd be delighted to see new stories!

east-tennessee
11-12-2014, 07:26 PM
I was on the left side too, row HH about halfway up. Got kind of pisssed when my section was the last one allowed out in rhe whole bunch of 1500 people. There probably were zero signed books in that last dregs of the book pilem

I did not get a signature.

The talk was GREAT and worth the price of admission alone. King was really down to earth and funny. He was a good speaker and the crowd was pumped.

My fave thing was that he hinted desire to write another DT book (

Sorry you did not get a sig, The DT news is Awesome............:biggrin:

divemaster
11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
I was down near the front, on the right side. I agree that the pre-talk line-up was insane!

I also agree that King was really on his game tonight. Even a bit under the weather (he assured us it wasn't Ebola!), it was a fascinating talk. He mentioned having some talking points notes but he seemed to be shooting from the hip for the most part.

In reference to The Talisman, he admitted that the saga was a "trilogy" and that he had already worked out the framework of the story in his head and that he hoped to get around to writing it (with Straub) "next year" I think he said. (I know one of the awaited for books he mentioned wanting to write "next year," but I'm not positive it was the Talisman follow-up or one of the other ones.). Everyone was excited that King had another Stand story in him (involving Stu, Frannie, and Kojak), and even a potential Dark Tower story involving Jericho Hill.

I also did not get a signed book.

Ricky
11-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Just got back from the D.C. event. I agree that the talk was great. I could've listened for a good while longer and not be bored. He seemed to be in a great mood. Good amount of time spent talking, then reading a portion from Revival, and a Q&A (that went on for longer than I thought it would). Questions included: continuing The Dark Tower, if he's a harsh self-critic, about the state of horror films today (and a possible follow-up to Danse Macabre), and some others. They seemed to be a mixed bag of thoughtful questions and dumb ones. King came out a few minutes later than 7:00pm, but ended up spending about an hour and a half speaking.

King recalled a view stories that are probably familiar to longtime fans (Tabitha picking Carrie out of the trash, etc.) but there were also a few hilarious anecdotes that I hadn't heard before. Like, when writing Gerald's Game, tying up a 13-year-old Joe to see if it would be plausible to free himself from the bed. :lol:

I was also really surprised to hear that King and Straub are hoping to write The Talisman 3...next year! He also gave a quick teaser about his upcoming novel, Living Room Couch.

Becca and I were (I think) in Row QQ. We got stuck in some traffic so didn't get there super early and missed out on better seats. Every seat seemed like had a good view, though. The seats themselves, however, were another story. Holy crap. Worst. auditorium. seats. ever. They obviously weren't made for people over 4 ft.

The book distribution ran smoothly (it was also the only time I've ever seen piles of books guarded by security. :lol: ), which was surprising. Though it seemed like some people were genuinely surprised to find out that not every book was signed.

We stayed until after everyone had gotten their books and asked the event staff if we could exchange our unsigned books for signed ones (or, at least, a chance at one) and were given an emphatic No. I wasn't expecting him to say yes, but the way he said it was pretty nasty.

All in all, a good night. Oh yeah, and a signed book doesn't hurt either. ;)

divemaster
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Another nugget (possibly has been told before, but I've never heard it): a movie that scared King so much he had to turn it off mid-way to collect himself and watch the rest later? And that still gives him the creeps just thinking about it? The Blair Witch Project.

Ricky
11-12-2014, 08:27 PM
I enjoyed hearing that one, too. I hadn't heard it before.

Lookwhoitis
11-12-2014, 08:27 PM
congrats on the signed book ricky! (so I guess my hypothesis of no sigs in the last batch of the pile was wrong lol)

I think i saw you and becca...

Lookwhoitis
11-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Another nugget (possibly has been told before, but I've never heard it): a movie that scared King so much he had to turn it off mid-way to collect himself and watch the rest later? And that still gives him the creeps just thinking about it? The Blair Witch Project.

That was really surprising to me too. TBWP sure has its share of haters. Good to find out the King of Horror is not one of em.

Im gonna have to pass that anecdote along to one of the guys I know that worked on the film.

Ricky
11-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks! My batch didn't have any signed copies, but me and Becca made a pact. ;)

RichardX
11-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Fun event tonight. I've seen King speak several times and this was the best. I managed to get one signed book from three. So that was an added plus. Wasn't too worried about that after trekking up to Maine this week for signing tickets on Monday. I'm hopeful they will allow some older books to be signed. I can't imagine King cares which book he signs. Otherwise I may end up with four signed copies of the new book.

herbertwest
11-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback !

"I was also really surprised to hear that King and Straub are hoping to write The Talisman 3...next year! He also gave a quick teaser about his upcoming novel, Living Room Couch."
>>> Living Room Couch : an upcoming novel by King? So for 2016... or a joke?

divemaster
11-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback !

"I was also really surprised to hear that King and Straub are hoping to write The Talisman 3...next year! He also gave a quick teaser about his upcoming novel, Living Room Couch."
>>> Living Room Couch : an upcoming novel by King? So for 2016... or a joke?

Ha, ha. That's a joke. At one point King said he was getting grief for Misery (basically, only 2 characters) and then Gerald's Game (only one character). So, just to needle critics, he said his next book would be "Living Room Couch" (the point being, a book with NO characters). Of course, the way King told it was quite funny. Not like me here.

EXPLORER
11-13-2014, 05:29 AM
KC Right now 25 degrees. Hope you are indoors:)

Keep us posted. We are living vicariously through you guys (gals).

We must be getting old (MATURE), did not feel the need to hit the rowdy hot nightlife spots. Just grabbed some provisions and hung out at our condo solving the problems of the world. and remaniing warm...

webstar1000
11-13-2014, 05:30 AM
WOW on the three maybe books coming out... most excited for the DT book of course but wow about the Talisman #3!!!!!

becca69
11-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks! My batch didn't have any signed copies, but me and Becca made a pact. ;)

Yes because I'm super awesome like that and have a hawk eye for the "flapped" copies! I should have taken charge of your tickets and we could have make it out of there with 6 signed copies! At least we each got one :ninja:

becca69
11-13-2014, 06:36 AM
congrats on the signed book ricky! (so I guess my hypothesis of no sigs in the last batch of the pile was wrong lol)

I think i saw you and becca...

There were so many leftovers and I saw a bunch of signed copies. They wouldn't let us try for them after everyone left. The book guy was a jerk. I'm sure they are now at a premium at Politics & Prose today!

becca69
11-13-2014, 06:43 AM
BTW - I've always pronounced Lisey's story as "Liz-y" and he pronounced it a "Lease-y". Learn something new everyday.

coderedx
11-13-2014, 07:33 AM

I'm kind of curious about this too, but for KC. I put a book in my car this morning, but I don't want to be the guy wondering around the Unity Temple with a random copy of The Green Mile.

coderedx
11-13-2014, 07:37 AM

Yes because I'm super awesome like that and have a hawk eye for the "flapped" copies! I should have taken charge of your tickets and we could have make it out of there with 6 signed copies! At least we each got one :ninja:

Any advice for a new guy today on spotting those flapped copies? Do you just sort of wait until you see that one is going to be handed out? I own zero signed King books, so I'm bound and determined today!

lagniappe
11-13-2014, 08:03 AM
My hubby and I also didn't get a signed book last night. It sucks that there were signed copies left over and they didn't let you trade for one. It was worth it to hear him speak and it looks like my highlights seem to be the most shared: continuing stories from The Stand, The Talisman and DT.

The book store did a great job of managing both the entering and exiting lines which was a concern about time. We were in the one before last group to get books even though were were at the first seat behind the orchestra in the middle left of the auditorium.

The lady sitting next to us said it took her an hour to get there from 1 mile away. We had a 2 hour 15 minute drive but was super glad we were not in the outbound traffic. An accident had them backed up 20 miles plus right before 5. I don't know how people work in that everyday! Guess I'll be happy with my satellite internet and tv to be our here in the country.

becca69
11-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Any advice for a new guy today on spotting those flapped copies? Do you just sort of wait until you see that one is going to be handed out? I own zero signed King books, so I'm bound and determined today!

All I can really tell you is that the dust jacket looks more open or loose if it's lying on it's side. I also requested to pick my own from the pile and they let me. If you can, scope out the area where the books are before hand so you can see what they look like. Ours were next to the bathrooms so it was no problem.

becca69
11-13-2014, 08:15 AM
My hubby and I also didn't get a signed book last night. It sucks that there were signed copies left over and they didn't let you trade for one. It was worth it to hear him speak and it looks like my highlights seem to be the most shared: continuing stories from The Stand, The Talisman and DT.

The book store did a great job of managing both the entering and exiting lines which was a concern about time. We were in the one before last group to get books even though were were at the first seat behind the orchestra in the middle left of the auditorium.

The lady sitting next to us said it took her an hour to get there from 1 mile away. We had a 2 hour 15 minute drive but was super glad we were not in the outbound traffic. An accident had them backed up 20 miles plus right before 5. I don't know how people work in that everyday! Guess I'll be happy with my satellite internet and tv to be our here in the country.

I contacted the bookstore this morning and they told me there were none left (of course)... even though there was a big pile when I left the building.

We got there about 20 minutes before 7 which worked out. No waiting and all seats had a great view. Seemed they kept adding signed books to the pile. When we got to the tables, they were putting out more books.

RichardX
11-13-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm on record as hating the random signed book approach. It gives everyone at least hope of receiving one and most are disappointed. The best method was how things were handled at George Mason. You either got a signing ticket or not beforehand so everyone knew whether they would get one or not when making the decision to attend.

becca69
11-13-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm on record as hating the random signed book approach. It gives everyone at least hope of receiving one and most are disappointed. The best method was how things were handled at George Mason. You either got a signing ticket or not beforehand so everyone knew whether they would get one or not when making the decision to attend.

Agreed. Or at least give them a card, like the NYC Under the Dome event. If you got a blank card - no signed book and you could decide whether you wanted to buy one or not. Face/number card and you could buy a signed copy.

Without any policing, makes me feel like the bookstore held a bunch back (even if they didn't), which sucks.

RichardX
11-13-2014, 08:24 AM

I contacted the bookstore this morning and they told me there were none left (of course)... even though there was a big pile when I left the building.

We got there about 20 minutes before 7 which worked out. No waiting and all seats had a great view. Seemed they kept adding signed books to the pile. When we got to the tables, they were putting out more books.

There were probably 20 people in line already when I did a pass at about 3pm. Couldn't understand why anyone would be standing in line for hours for a general admission seat. Sitting a few rows closer to the stage doesn't add a lot of benefit but people squeezed into every possible seat down front even if it meant being separated from their party. I saw hardly any college students which was odd for an on campus event.

becca69
11-13-2014, 08:29 AM
There were probably 20 people in line already when I did a pass at about 3pm. Couldn't understand why anyone would be standing in line for hours for a general admission seat. Sitting a few rows closer to the stage doesn't add a lot of benefit but people squeezed into every possible seat down front even if it meant being separated from their party. I saw hardly any college students which was odd for an on campus event.

I also thought it was weird that there weren't many students. I thought the place would be full of them and that maybe they would sell their books - haha. I also thought that many attending bought extra tickets for more chances at a signed copy, but it seemed only Ricky and I did that :rofl:

Ricky
11-13-2014, 08:32 AM
I should have taken charge of your tickets and we could have make it out of there with 6 signed copies! At least we each got one :ninja:

I think then Nasty Book Guy would've thought something was up. :lol:

I was just thinking about calling them and seeing if they were selling any copies. Guess I don't have to now. Losers. Of course, they'll deny that any signed ones were leftover when we saw piles of them.

lagniappe
11-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I thought the same thing about getting there super early. Maybe they had not been to the Lisner before? We go to other events there and knew that most any seat was a good one. There were some seats in orchestra when we got in, but decided to sit a little further back to be more in the middle.

tippy4
11-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Three hours befrore they open the doors (4.5 hours before the KC event) and there are ar least 20 people in line.....and it's 30 deg! They're made of sturdier stuff than I!

Dan
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Sorry if dumb question, I've never been to a signing before. Since my wife and I are most likely going to be in a cold line for a long time, can we bring a chair? Then take it to the car right before doors open?

Br!an
11-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Sorry if dumb question, I've never been to a signing before. Since my wife and I are most likely going to be in a cold line for a long time, can we bring a chair? Then take it to the car right before doors open?

I see no problem with that.

tippy4
11-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Woohoo! We are in! One hour and ten minutes to the show!

Sitting in the front row with Roseannebarr.

webstar1000
11-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Woohoo! We are in! One hour and ten minutes to the show!

Sitting in the front row with Roseannebarr.

How many people here Tippy?

Randall Flagg
11-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Cool! Or actually warm if they heat the facility-later with>1K people it will likely be hot inside. Have fun. Keep us posted. Certainly afterwards when it's fresh in your mind.

tippy4
11-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Seats 1255.

We were just told King has a cold.

EXPLORER
11-13-2014, 04:56 PM

KC books are each in bag already for pick up on way out. Unable to view.

Dan
11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Seats 1255.

Oh, no :( hope this doesn't hamper the rest of the tour

Randall Flagg
11-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Seats 1255.

Oh, no :( hope this doesn't hamper the rest of the tour

King's a trooper. He has Wichita tomorrow which is essentially the same as today (show up, sign 300-400 books in advance, go to venue, give speech etc.). Then Saturday in Austin. Show up (Early 5pm start), no speech, just keep head down and sign 400 books. He flies home on a GS (wouldn't surprise me if he leaves Austin immediately after the signing, but if not then first thing in the morning). R&R Saturday and Sunday at home, then the Maine signing Monday (no speech, keep head down and sign 400 books) that is just a transport car away.

If he cancels an event, then he is deathly ill, and I'd be more worried about him than myself (true fan eh..).

tippy4
11-13-2014, 05:25 PM

KC books are each in bag already for pick up on way out. Unable to view.

I am just fine with that.

They will be dismissing us by row (the woman running the show seems to be a bit of a control freak).

tippy4
11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Every member of our group....six of us, got a signed copy!

Seven signed copies in 18 tickets!

Merlin1958
11-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Wonderful info and updates!!! Many thanks to, Tippy and crew for making us a part of the event!!!

idlewarnings
11-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Enjoyed the talk but disappointed in the luck of the draw. Five of us and not one signed book.

Lot guy
11-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Congrats on the books!!!!

CRinVA
11-13-2014, 08:49 PM
I too was at the DC event. While all 1,500 tickets had to be picked up at will call I think it went rather smoothly! I was probably 500 or so back in line and when the line started to move I was literally in my seat in about ten minutes! Tenth row off center to the right looking at the stage. Our seats were perfect.

The talk was terrific, Steve was on his game! A Stand story brewing, Talisman 3, the story of Jericho Hill - he said he already knows how it went down! These were great to hear. King told stories some old and others new (at least for me and I've been to several of these events over the years) and all were terrific. I loved him telling about Joe being the willing teenage participant being tied to the bed to see if he could escape and Tabby barging in wondering what the hell they were doing!

Joe was also part of the Blair Witch story! King was recuperating from his horrific accident and Joe brought him a screener of the Blair Witch Project! He had to ask Joe to stop it half way through! Ironic isn't it!

I had two tickets to this event. My wife was going to accompany me but instead I ended up with my 25 yr old son! He said its a good thing he has seen all the movies otherwise he wouldn't have understood a lot of what was said. As for reading he's a King virgin! I did get one of the randomly placed signed copies!!!!

One other funny story out of the evening! The Orchestra seats to the right in the front were occupied by several deaf people. There were two "signers" taking turns translating what Steve was saying! If you've ever been to a King event where he takes the stage to speak you know that his language is no different than that in his stories! He said he didn't give a shit if people didn't like the cursing in his books - saying that to raucous laughter. I loved the facial expressions on the female singer as she translated all the shits and dams and fucks and even one cunt! Not sure if she was embarrassed or if the facial expression was part of the translation!

And last but not least, two jumper cables go into a bar, ......

King started with this joke but delivered the punchline at the end about 90 minutes later. You can find the punchline on the Internet. That's where he got the dumb joke. King said he started the talk with a dumb joke, the dumbest he could find so that everything said after that would seem so much brighter, or something to that effect.

And as he walked off stage he said " and go get your damn books!"

Ricky
11-13-2014, 08:54 PM
I loved the facial expressions on the female singer as she translated all the shits and dams and fucks and even one cunt! Not sure if she was embarrassed or if the facial expression was part of the translation!

Yes! I purposefully looked over to the signer when he started cursing. I thought I recognized the sign for "fuck." :lol:

coderedx
11-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Had a blast at the Kansas City event tonight. Everything exceeded my expectations. I really loved hearing his thoughts on "literature" versus "fiction." King playing his guitar was pretty entertaining.

My group got one signed book of three, and we had all agreed in advance I'd get any signed copies. The signature looks a bit like his hand was starting to hurt, but I don't have a King signature in my collection, so I'm just thrilled to have even got one. I don't think the books were distributed as randomly as was advertised... two of the three of us were handed books from a stack behind the table, and then my brother-in-law was handed one from under the table. It ended up being the one that was signed.

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15918&d=1415941374

Roseannebarr
11-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Four tickets, two books, wasn't expecting any. So I am thrilled. Our moderator let king talk! I was worried at first, but it turned out awesome!

kc event was a huge success!

Jud Crandall
11-14-2014, 03:30 AM
I loved it! I hadn't been to a Stephen King talk/signing before, but I'll definitely try to go to any I can in the future. He's just so engaging. Out of two tickets, we got one signed book. Since my friend doesn't (well didn't, heh) have any King signed books I traded with him, much to his delight. We had an amazing time!

webstar1000
11-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Congrats to all that got a signed copy!

Cook
11-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Hav'in a nice relaxing visit (my mini-vacation) with fantastic friends in K.C. - Outstanding
Seeing S.K. Play guitar and attempt vocals - Entertaining
Receiving a signed 1st. ed Revival at the K.C. event - Rewarding
Daring two slightly buzzed DT.org members to streak in 18 deg weather - PRICELESS 😳

Stockerlone
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
The GERMAN Revival Cover from Heyne 2. März 2015

http://cover.stephen-king.de/uploads/250x6255.jpg

SystemCrashOverRide
11-14-2014, 06:26 AM
The GERMAN Revival Cover from Heyne 2. März 2015

http://cover.stephen-king.de/uploads/250x6255.jpg

Too cool, talk about being overt with the religious connection. Not that it was much of a stretch with a name like "Revival", but the cross on the front is about as blunt as you can make it.

EXPLORER
11-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Hav'in a nice relaxing visit (my mini-vacation) with fantastic friends in K.C. - Outstanding
Daring two slightly buzzed DT.org members to streak in 18 deg weather - PRICELESS 😳

Hey....What happens in Kansas.......should stay in Kansas

becca69
11-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Pics! 8)

Randall Flagg
11-14-2014, 08:30 AM
No pics no proof.by

tippy4
11-14-2014, 09:11 AM
On the road to Wichita.

ETA 1:15 pm (unless we stop for lunch).

Wichita temp is 30 deg F.

Event at 6pm.

Dan
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm in line in Wichita. Probably a hundred people here.

Dan
11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
And the cold wouldn't be so bad, but the wind is killing me.

tippy4
11-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm in line in Wichita .

Why?

Trust me, it is not worth it (at least not to me)....you will see and hear him just fine no matter what time you get there.

Dan
11-14-2014, 10:43 AM
First time I've ever done this. Why not? I'm parked three feet from my spot in line.

Lot guy
11-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I just saw King leaving after signing the presigned books books for tonight, just my brother & I politely asked if he'd sign a book for each of us & wouldnt I was completely taken back on top of that I had gotten some posters of one of the bands he likes signed to him when they played the music venue I do some work at & the lady with him wouldn't even let him take them, that is the first time I've had such a negative interaction, only two people would have been 10 seconds to do it tops

Merlin1958
11-14-2014, 10:45 AM
First time I've ever done this. Why not? I'm parked three feet from my spot in line.

Man up, dude!! LOL J/K

Nice parking job, BTW!!! LOL

tippy4
11-14-2014, 10:53 AM

I'm just not a fan of sitting in the cold.....but I know it can be fun hanging out in line talking with fellow fans. Have fun dude! Stay warm!

needfulthings
11-14-2014, 11:17 AM
I AM HAVING FUN!,I AM HAVING FUN!,I AM HAVING FUN.:lol:
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/3491/8RlgJc.jpg

Dan
11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
I AM HAVING FUN!,I AM HAVING FUN!,I AM HAVING FUN.:lol:
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/3491/8RlgJc.jpg

That's way off, I'm wearing a face cover.

Gris
11-14-2014, 01:02 PM
It's been busy for me since the DC event, so this is my first chance to post...

When I got there at 5:50, I was terrified when a say a line wrapped around the building and snaking it's way through a courtyard, but I was absolutely floored by how quickly and smoothly the line was processed. Getting out was just as smooth.

Yes, that bald guy that seemed to be in charge of handing out the books was an ass. I was probably there with you guys at the end and just didn't realize it. I waiting until no one else was coming down the stairs, then asked. There had to be at least 100 left, of which I'm sure a few were signed. Oh well. Our group of 4 got 3 signed copies, so I really can't complain.

I loved the Gerald's Game Joe Hill test to get untied. lol. I can totally see him doing it. It was good to hear about Talisman3, but I was more excited for "The Future Adventures Of Stu, Franny, & Kojak."

Afterwords, we walked a few blocks to a place called Burgers, Tap, & Shake and got some food. It was fun.

Here are my few incredibly blurry pics...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByBLqpS3zEuwOE5OQnBCbG5qd2c&usp=sharing

It is so incredibly hard to get a decent picture with a cellphone in a dark room of a spotlighted person.

Agreed. Or at least give them a card, like the NYC Under the Dome event. If you got a blank card - no signed book and you could decide whether you wanted to buy one or not. Face/number card and you could buy a signed copy.

Without any policing, makes me feel like the bookstore held a bunch back (even if they didn't), which sucks.

The UtD NYC event was the best way I've seen a book distribution handled. It was nice because you knew on the way in whether you were getting a signed book or not. But also because they were setup to accept sales, so even if you didn't get a guaranteed signed copy, you could hang out and buy one after all the promised books were handed out. Then you could go back and buy more if there were still some left.

Ricky
11-14-2014, 01:17 PM
I was probably there with you guys at the end and just didn't realize it. I waiting until no one else was coming down the stairs, then asked. There had to be at least 100 left, of which I'm sure a few were signed.

You must have been because there were only a handful of people left. I wouldn't have had a problem with them telling us we couldn't buy/exchange/try for a signed book, but it was the way that he said it that was just nasty.

Afterwords, we walked a few blocks to a place called Burgers, Tap, & Shake and got some food. It was fun.

Becca, why didn't we do this?! :lol:

becca69
11-14-2014, 01:35 PM
I was probably there with you guys at the end and just didn't realize it. I waiting until no one else was coming down the stairs, then asked. There had to be at least 100 left, of which I'm sure a few were signed.

You must have been because there were only a handful of people left. I wouldn't have had a problem with them telling us we couldn't buy/exchange/try for a signed book, but it was the way that he said it that was just nasty.

Becca, why didn't we do this?! :lol:

Yes, why?? I was starving!!

Randall Flagg
11-14-2014, 01:51 PM
I just saw King leaving after signing the presigned books books for tonight, just my brother & I politely asked if he'd sign a book for each of us & wouldnt I was completely taken back on top of that I had gotten some posters of one of the bands he likes signed to him when they played the music venue I do some work at & the lady with him wouldn't even let him take them, that is the first time I've had such a negative interaction, only two people would have been 10 seconds to do it tops
Pretty similar to the Boulder event. Go back and read the thread. 4 of us waited patiently for 2 hours in the cols across the street from the cottage where he presigned the books.

Ricky
11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Pretty similar to the Boulder event. Go back and read the thread. 4 of us stalked a man's private cottage for 2 hours in the cols across the street from the cottage where he presigned the books.

Fixed it for you.

Lot guy
11-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Pretty similar to the Boulder event. Go back and read the thread. 4 of us waited patiently for 2 hours in the cols across the street from the cottage where he presigned the books.

Yeah I was taken back a bit, I was really surprised that she wouldn't let him take the Limited EDITION Jake Bugs litho I had signed to him & Joe as there both fans, was just trying to do something nice & give a little back in a way I thought he might apreciate

Randall Flagg
11-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Pretty similar to the Boulder event. Go back and read the thread. 4 of us stalked a man's private cottage for 2 hours in the cols across the street from the cottage where he presigned the books.

Fixed it for you.
Thanks Ricky. I suppose his "private" cottage that had 7 handlers inside and 2 security people outside and that he never stayed the night in should never have been approached by people who also rented cottages on a State Park, and thus had right to be on the sidewalk across the street shouldn't have been "stalked".
Maybe I'm just tired and don't get if you are joking. If you're joking, I'll probably get the humor tomorrow morning and laugh. If not then....I'll still laugh. You would have done the same.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Been traveling so just now had a chance to resize and post a pic tippy4 sent me from the Kansas City event last night Sorry, not the streaking in 19 degree weather pic-too much shrinkage to see that:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1416013443-King%20Wichita%20tippy4%20photo.jpg

Rahfa
11-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Yeah I was taken back a bit, I was really surprised that she wouldn't let him take the Limited EDITION Jake Bugs litho I had signed to him & Joe as there both fans, was just trying to do something nice & give a little back in a way I thought he might apreciate

I'm sympathetic but not surprised - they don't know what your deal is, what you're trying to do, what you're trying to give him and what your intentions are.

So you know that it's a fine poster - but they see a crank waving some paper in the cold. Obviously, sometimes he signs for people but I can see his "people" just not wanting to deal with it.

I've seen him four times - had him sign in front of me twice, but neither interaction was what I would call 'positive.' Frankly, the entire experience is always a little degrading.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I've seen him four times - had him sign in front of me twice, but neither interaction was what I would call 'positive.' Frankly, the entire experience is always a little degrading.
You nailed it. Standing in line for hours to have him "give" you 10 seconds feels like that. I like to attend the events to meet fellow fans and enjoy their company, that's much less degrading (usually). It also gives me an excuse to go to exotic locations like Texas.

Rahfa
11-14-2014, 06:05 PM
It's not even the wait (which I only had to do once)...it's the whole operation. I just felt churned through a machine where there was nothing genuine in any part of it, and anything I said could fairly be criticized as just trying to suck up. And for what? I don't even know what I expect to happen.

I agree that making a trip out of it of course changes it all - I saw the Cujo showing in NY a few years ago (God, it was 2003!) and that was fun, without any public signing at all (a signed DT V came with it).

Roseannebarr
11-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Witchata event with king was awesome! He talked for an hour answered a few questions he is really rockin it on this tour

Roseannebarr
11-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Security and event organizers really screwed up! 2200 people all being wanded and bagged searched in 30 degree tempature. It took over 2 hours and then they cattle loaded the last 600 into a tv room because they were running so late

The. Lead security guy bet me his whole paycheck they would be in by six. Arrogant butt he was wrong

Dan
11-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Security and event organizers really screwed up! 2200 people all being wanded and bagged searched in 30 degree tempature. It took over 2 hours and then they cattle loaded the last 600 into a tv room because they were running so late

The. Lead security guy bet me his whole paycheck they would be in by six. Arrogant butt he was wrong

The fact that sold so many more tickets than they had room for was irritating. The ratio of signed books was not good. It seemed like "maybe" one out of ten people were getting signed copies. I didn't get one. Overall I had a great time. King was on top of his game. I was hoping for some talk of upcoming novels, but the talk he gave was spectacular.

Roseannebarr
11-14-2014, 09:10 PM
They hAd empty seats in the auditorium but railroaded alot of people into a tv room. If I wanted to watch king on tv I would stay home! Sorry I missed you at event! Kc event 4 tickets 2 books

Be ca you Re right about the flap pie, but in Ll the excitement we were rushed out like cattle and handed books

tippy4
11-14-2014, 09:27 PM

The fact that sold so many more tickets than they had room for was irritating. The ratio of signed books was not good. It seemed like "maybe" one out of ten people were getting signed copies. I didn't get one. Overall I had a great time. King was on top of his game. I was hoping for some talk of upcoming novels, but the talk he gave was spectacular.

Not knowing about the "overflow rooms" I retract my earlier comment questioning why you had arrived so early. You were smart in doing so if you wanted to actually see King.

I really feel bad for those that ended up only seeing King on TV.

They should have sold enough tickets to fill the auditorium......and no more.

Br!an
11-15-2014, 05:02 AM
You nailed it. Standing in line for hours to have him "give" you 10 seconds feels like that. I like to attend the events to meet fellow fans and enjoy their company, that's much less degrading (usually). It also gives me an excuse to go to exotic :cowboy: locations like Texas.

The main reason I had such a great time in Sarasota was from Mr & Mrs EXPLORER being such wonderful hosts. It was from meeting other members and Don Maitz (who is now a member). It was from sharing a meal and some drinks, telling stories and hearing some too. Meeting King for 10 seconds was fun too.

becca69
11-15-2014, 05:20 AM
They hAd empty seats in the auditorium but railroaded alot of people into a tv room. If I wanted to watch king on tv I would stay home! Sorry I missed you at event! Kc event 4 tickets 2 books

Be ca you Re right about the flap pie, but in Ll the excitement we were rushed out like cattle and handed books

That stinks all around. Refunds should have been given to those in the TV room for sure!

Randall Flagg
11-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Yeah, for the KC one, he will pre-sign a certain number of books that are randomly inserted in the books, so you may get one, and may not. I think Wichita is the same way...

So you grab a book off the shelf... not allowed to look inside and hope you get one that is signed? WOW... I did not know that. I sincerely wish everyone here the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!
They usually hand them out at the exits after the event is over. They hand you a book, and it is signed, or not.
The K.C. venue has 780 floor seats and 475 balcony seats. King will probably sign ~300-400 books in advance. Not bad odds.
The Wichita event has 1,700 floor seats, and overflow seating (unknown #). A little tougher odds if King signs 300-400 books.

PDF flyer for rules on the Wichita event. (http://webs.wichita.edu/depttools/depttoolsmemberfiles/metroplex/Stephen%20King%20Flyer.pdf)
I had warned people that Wichita would have tight security, and overflow seating (with a larger crowd than KC).

Dan
11-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Despite my complaints, and not getting a signed book, I'm glad I went. I've never seen King before and let's face it, he isn't getting younger. I might look for a signed copy once they start dropping in price.

Dan
11-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Armed only with my phone, here is the best picture I was able to get.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/002a5d0a7f8d0fa0b15c0857e15a855d.jpg

Lot guy
11-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Event seemed short, but it was enjoyable I received back signed copy but bring my brothers first event in gave that to him which made his nights all-in all a success looking forward to Maine

tippy4
11-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Since we had seen King the night before in KC, we did not want to sit in line for hours in the cold of Wichita, so we arrived late and landed in an overflow room. However, ten minutes in, a small group of us were herded over to the main auditorium and got very good seats. I looked around the venue, and saw 50-100 open seats that people from the overflow rooms could be sitting in.

Between the delays due to security checks (presentation started 15-20 min late as a result) and the unused seats, I think the event could have been handled better.

That said, the presentation was enjoyable (even if 50+% of it was a "rerun" of the night before), and I received a second signed book, and had a good time with my companions.

Rahfa
11-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a poorly run event all the way around.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising - the reality is these flyover cities are incapable of handling anything like this. Boston, NYC, LA -and after that, it's a long fall off a steep cliff.

tippy4
11-15-2014, 12:27 PM
The woman at Watermark Books had us believing that it would be better to be in the overflow room as opposed to the "nosebleed" seats in the auditorium. I hate to call her a liar.....but she she was a liar. ANY seat in the auditorium would have been better than what was provided in the overflow rooms.

Sitting in the airport with Cook....his avatar is much prettier than he is.

:emot-roflolmao:

Dan
11-15-2014, 01:07 PM
The woman at Watermark Books had us believing that it would be better to be in the overflow room as opposed to the "nosebleed" seats in the auditorium. I hate to call her a liar.....but she she was a liar. ANY seat in the auditorium would have been better than what was provided in the overflow rooms.

I wasn't impressed with her. After this event I am less likely to ever purchase a book from her store.

Rahfa
11-15-2014, 02:29 PM

I wasn't impressed with her. After this event I am less likely to ever purchase a book from her store.

Obviously without being there, it's not fair for me to chime in - but I will say I often feel bad for people at small bookstores like that trying to run these events.

Like I said before, they just aren't capable of dealing with it. The bookstore here has done two Dan Brown events for huge crowds, and they run like clockwork...but most stores don't have that experience or capability. So I guess try to keep that in mind, and pity them, rather then judge them.

Dan
11-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Not judging, just expressing my free market opinion.

Rahfa
11-15-2014, 02:40 PM

My comment didn't have anything to do with your experience. My point is that these little bookstores can't handle these big events - it's pathetic how many mistakes they make. I just pity them when they screw up because it's all so predictable.

Dan
11-15-2014, 02:41 PM

My comment didn't have anything to do with your experience. My point is that these little bookstores can't handle these big events - it's pathetic how many mistakes they make. I just pity them when they screw up because it's all so predictable.

No worries. While it may have been her largest signing, it certainly wasn't her first.

Merlin1958
11-15-2014, 08:52 PM
I have to admit, the Austin signing went off like clock work. King even went to work early. Of course there were a couple "Book Nazi's" from the staff, but for the most part they insured a smooth event. All though one particularly loud organizer did stroll around with a sceptre at one point!!!

King appreciated my support of the Yankee's!!!!! We also solicited the crowd to join the site and received several commitments. In some ways we were the hit on our portion of the line which was comprised mostly of virgin's. One nice lady right in front of me brought along a recipe for "Cheese cake" to give to King. He was most appreciative, but announced to the room that "Joe, is the real cheese cake whore" (pretty close to his exact words)!!! LOL

Jerome and Terry took ther majority of the photo's surrounding, Mr. King. So look to them for the pics!!! overall, King was rather engaging, at least while we were there and we were in the first 75-100 customers. One bummer, they has some lame excuse to re-collect the tickets so provenance suffered. Still we have these neat wrist bands!!!! LOL

Lot guy
11-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Glad you had a great time Bill!

Merlin1958
11-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks!!! Terry, had on his leather SOA jacket. I'm happy to report, Bobby is alive and well and his eye has returned and healed nicely!! LOL LOL LOL

Jerome's TDT.Org tee's were a hit!!!!

mkberger
11-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Not sure if it goes here, but picked up at Heathrow yesterday:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/KNOMEOR/King--REVIVAL-UKPB_zps739e5b76.jpg

The Library Policeman
11-16-2014, 04:45 AM
I have to admit, the Austin signing went off like clock work. King even went to work early. Of course there were a couple "Book Nazi's" from the staff, but for the most part they insured a smooth event. All though one particularly loud organizer did stroll around with a sceptre at one point!!!

King appreciated my support of the Yankee's!!!!! We also solicited the crowd to join the site and received several commitments. In some ways we were the hit on our portion of the line which was comprised mostly of virgin's. One nice lady right in front of me brought along a recipe for "Cheese cake" to give to King. He was most appreciative, but announced to the room that "Joe, is the real cheese cake whore" (pretty close to his exact words)!!! LOL

Jerome and Terry took ther majority of the photo's surrounding, Mr. King. So look to them for the pics!!! overall, King was rather engaging, at least while we were there and we were in the first 75-100 customers. One bummer, they has some lame excuse to re-collect the tickets so provenance suffered. Still we have these neat wrist bands!!!! LOL

Great stuff, Bill! Thanks for the update :)

Stockerlone
11-16-2014, 05:49 AM
At Liljas page..... Vincent Chong´s Rough Revival Sketches

http://liljas-library.com/article.php?id=4252

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/revival%20roughs.jpg

Rahfa
11-16-2014, 06:37 AM
One bummer, they has some lame excuse to re-collect the tickets so provenance suffered. Still we have these neat wrist bands!!!! LOL

Lame - obviously, it's so you can't sneak thru the line again, but they could just mark it easily enough.

Sounded like a fun time, though. If signings were all like that, they'd always be worth the effort.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2014, 06:41 AM
One bummer, they has some lame excuse to re-collect the tickets so provenance suffered. Still we have these neat wrist bands!!!! LOL

Lame - obviously, it's so you can't sneak thru the line again, but they could just mark it easily enough.

Sounded like a fun time, though. If signings were all like that, they'd always be worth the effort.
We actually asked if once King left, could we have our tickets and the guy gave the lousy excuse that he had to turn them into the accountant.

Merlin1958
11-16-2014, 06:58 AM

We actually asked if once King left, could we have our tickets and the guy gave the lousy excuse that he had to turn them into the accountant.

They were clearly enjoying the power, but mostly in an amusing way. The guy in charge, booming instrux and waving a sceptre of sorts really cracked me up!!! LOL

Rahfa
11-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Ha! Turning the tickets in to the accountant? That makes no sense at all. Is the argument that they're going to staple the tickets to receipts for the IRS? They clearly know how many books they sold.

Like Merlin said - small-time operators on a power kick, OR scared to make any mistake.

EXPLORER
11-17-2014, 04:22 AM
It Is SNOWING in Portland Maine right now!

Br!an
11-17-2014, 09:28 AM

85° ahead of a "cold" front here.

Jay127
11-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I have a signed copy from the NY Barnes and Noble signing. I noticed today the back of the dust jacket mentions seeing someone browsing graphic novels at "Barnes and Noble", and I recall seeing a photo of the dust jacket, which states only seeing someone at a "bookstore". Does anyone know if there are 2 versions of the dust jacket, and if so whether 1 is more rare than the other?

becca69
11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I have a signed copy from the NY Barnes and Noble signing. I noticed today the back of the dust jacket mentions seeing someone browsing graphic novels at "Barnes and Noble", and I recall seeing a photo of the dust jacket, which states only seeing someone at a "bookstore". Does anyone know if there are 2 versions of the dust jacket, and if so whether 1 is more rare than the other?

I have a signed copy from B&N and it only says bookstore. Do you have a photo of your dust jacket with B&N?

Jay127
11-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Yes I'm new to the forum, stupid question but can you give me a quick lesson in how to post a pic here

Merlin1958
11-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Of our group, Terry probably got the most in way of a dialogue with, King when he showed him his "Drum" item. Terry, also got plenty of face time with folks for his contract of "The Stand", which was rather special. Ask him to post a copy. Really, really special!!!

On a sad note, "Stephen King, Simpson collectible" some how lost his book on the trip!!! Well worth it, but now just what the hell is he looking to hold???? LOL LOL Take a minute.....

becca69
11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes I'm new to the forum, stupid question but can you give me a quick lesson in how to post a pic here

You can use a site like Photobucket or the gallery on this site.

Jay127
11-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Ok I tried photobucket. Here's the link.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/Jay1278/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa14c49d5.jpg[/URL]

The Library Policeman
11-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Interesting stuff and well spotted!

Randall Flagg
11-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Hopefully they are smart and kind like Book People and don't make you guys stand outside.

Merlin1958
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
It was snowing in, Dallas last night before we finally left. Jerome is correct the , Book People were very nice considering the weather (it was awful) and let us wait inside. We all stood in line, but Jerome was "stalking" LOL You are "The Man", Jerome!!! If he was gonna sign anything else, Jerome would have got it!! Fortunately, he brought his very cordial wife along to stand in his stead and she was a real delight. Fit right in with us fanatics!!! LOL

Gris
11-17-2014, 02:29 PM

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/Jay1278/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa14c49d5.jpg[/URL]

All of my copies say "The teenager browsing graphic novels at the bookstore"

Awesome find. I wonder how rare they are

tippy4
11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Portland event is under way and should be done shortly I would guess.....if not done already.

becca69
11-17-2014, 03:24 PM

All of my copies say "The teenager browsing graphic novels at the bookstore"

Awesome find. I wonder how rare they are

I would think the NYC signing would have had these. Maybe they were mixed in?? Had to order an unusually large amount for the signing and didn't have enough exclusive ones? I will hit my B&N and see if they have any.

Merlin1958
11-17-2014, 03:31 PM
You should have been in, Austin!! All the "cool" peeps were there!!! LOL LOL J/K

The Library Policeman
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
You should have been in, Austin!! All the "cool" peeps were there!!! LOL LOL J/K

I was there in spirit!! :P

EXPLORER
11-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Hopefully they are smart and kind like Book People and don't make you guys stand outside.. They ushered all in side actually earlier than the assigned group letter times. Ended the event early so Stephen could get on the road before the weather got too bad.
He was not feeling the best. When I inquired if he was feeling any better he stated, "What will really make me feel better is a week or so of good home cooked meals".

Lot guy
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
The South Portland signing was AWESOME!!!! I had 6 tickets & I received,
3 Revival UK Proofs signed
2 Revival US proofs signed
1 First Edition signed
In was very happy about getting the 5 Proofs signed

http:// 

EXPLORER
11-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Portland was well run (for the store) well organized for moving the crowd, very efficient (in seeing publishers rulles were followed) yet will leave most anyone with high hopes of beating the rules and adding anything but Revival to thier collection...... UNLESS YOU ARE LOTGUY.... I had to tell him he is an SOB...... as we are envious of his luck (smart persistance)

jhanic
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
1 First Edition signed

Great! Congratulations!

John

Merlin1958
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
1 First Edition signed

Congrats!!! :clap::clap:

EXPLORER
11-17-2014, 04:34 PM
DEANNA asked Mr King to sign the TDT.org shirt she wore through the line in our last foray through the line (which you were only suppose to run through once) King said he could not however really liked it. A few of us went around back to see King get in his truck to leave... Guarded by security we could not get to him.... however he had his door open while backing up the delviery ramp and in spite of the security I was able to shout, "Mr. King would you like the T-Shirt? You said you liked it. While I held it up and stretched it over the guards, he asked, "Oh is that for me" and I was able to walk pass them and hand it to him with a thankful acknowledgemeent from Sai King.

Ben Staad
11-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Very cool. Great job.

DEANNA asked Mr King to sign the TDT.org shirt she wore through the line in our last foray through the line (which you were only suppose to run through once) King said he could not however really liked it. A few of us went around back to see King get in his truck to leave... Guarded by security we could not get to him.... however he had his door open while backing up the delviery ramp and in spite of the security I was able to shout, "Mr. King would you like the T-Shirt? You said you liked it. While I held it up and stretched it over the guards, he asked, "Oh is that for me" and I was able to walk pass them and hand it to him with a thankful acknowledgemeent from Sai King.

The Library Policeman
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
1 First Edition signed

Excellent, congrats!

bdwyer19
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM

That's awesome!

stroppygoblin
11-17-2014, 04:51 PM
1 First Edition signed

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lot guy
11-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys, I was inside the rules but able to get some rarities signed none the less that he was all to happy to do! Although the organizers said you have to buy one of our books I said I did & King commented it's fine its Revival! He recognized my son and came up and rubbed his head but Bently got shy at which point he said don't be scared I haven't eaten any kids cause this(pause) this week, it was great meeting Twisted Nadine, Roseannebar & others, always great to see David & Jim!

http://rs777.pbsrc.com/albums/yy59/mrfjstbhf/Mobile%20Uploads/1416269326734_zps766463de.jpg~320x480
http://s777.photobucket.com/user/mrfjstbhf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1416269267851_zpsfee7716e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

sharki69
11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Lot Guy = THE MAN !!!!!

zelig
11-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Amazing! Congratulations!

Merlin1958
11-17-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm such a "girl". I had a copy of TCK with me that is on it's way to, Les Edwards for a remarque and I was hoping, King would sign itfor the HF, but with all the security and "Book Nazi'" I backed down and didn't try for it. Hell, Terry had the original "The Stand" contract w/ Doubleday and a first edition of "The Drum" and he wouldn't sign those!! I tried to introduce myself as the "Haven Fund Whore", but when I did it went right over his head. I thanked him for helping us out last year with, Don Maitz and he thanked me instead. He then told the room I was the only "Yankee' fan in Texas!!! I gotta grow some balls I suppose!!! LOL LOL

sharki69
11-17-2014, 09:09 PM

Great catch ! I have the same wording on my copy from b&n event

Randall Flagg
11-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Good job. I hope to some day see him in a pic wearing it.

Bev Vincent
11-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Stephen King earns 'crown' from fans at Books-a-Million event (http://www.portlanddailysun.me/index.php/newsx/local-news/13330-stephen-king-regains-crown-with-books-a-million-event)

Randall Flagg
11-18-2014, 08:15 AM
So if I understand this correctly, your wife took her top off for Stephen King...

webstar1000
11-18-2014, 09:11 AM
So if I understand this correctly, your wife took her top off for Stephen King...

LOL... so cool though...

Randall Flagg
11-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Great catch ! I have the same wording on my copy from b&n event
It looks like Barnes & Noble received a special dj for their chain. Cool variant. My local B&N also has the same dj on their books.

becca69
11-18-2014, 12:31 PM
It looks like Barnes & Noble received a special dj for their chain. Cool variant. My local B&N also has the same dj on their books.

Wonder if there are any other stores that got special DJs? Would be interesting to know, and how many were produced.

RichardX
11-18-2014, 01:02 PM
The South Portland event was very efficient. The staff was mostly friendly. I was out the door by 4 even though I was about 100+ plus back in the line. The signing wasn't even supposed to start until 4. The preparations were more suitable for the Pope than a writer. The police were even there (I hope there were no crimes in S. Portland). The staff lined the interior of the store to make sure no one strayed off the path. I had three tickets and tried my luck at getting my 30+ year old copy of Thinner signed. But no luck. The book folks almost fainted when I handed it to them. They didn't even give it back to me but passed it baton style around King. For one surreal moment it was over his head and they gave it back to me on the way out. Ms Mod claims the book stores insist on only allowing the new book to be signed but I think that is baloney. The rules come from King. His obsession with stopping ebay selling is the only reason for this. It's very silly. The book store folks claimed he even called them to complain about someone selling tickets to the event on ebay. The weather was absolutely miserable. Cold and rainy. The poor folks who live there must suffer in the winter.

RichardX
11-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Here is my final tally on attending the DC and S. Portland events:

36 hours driving
5 hours in line
5 days off from work
4 nights in a hotel
Frozen and rained on
About $200 dollars in gas
About $50 in tolls
About $180 in books.

Result - 4 signed copies!

I could have bought a copy from Betts or Ebay for $275, but suffering is part of the fun!

Lot guy
11-18-2014, 01:42 PM

36 hours driving
5 hours in line
5 days off from work
4 nights in a hotel
Frozen and rained on
About $50 in tolls
About $180 in books.

I could have bought a copy from Betts or Ebay for $275, but suffering is part of the fun!

Did they give a copy of revival to get signed instead

RichardX
11-18-2014, 02:16 PM

36 hours driving
5 hours in line
5 days off from work
4 nights in a hotel
Frozen and rained on
About $50 in tolls
About $180 in books.

Did they give a copy of revival to get signed instead

I had my three copies of Revival but thought they might allow me to sub one older book to get signed in lieu of one copy of Revival. No go though. So I ended up with a bucket load of signed Revivals.

EXPLORER
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Stephen King earns 'crown' from fans at Books-a-Million event (http://www.portlanddailysun.me/index.php/newsx/local-news/13330-stephen-king-regains-crown-with-books-a-million-event)
I have picked up hard copies of this issue if some others need.

Roseannebarr
11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Just got back from the Books a Million book signing. I stayed up 24 hours last week and then flew up yesterday for the signing. I was able to purchase 16 tickets for the event. I sold 9 tickets to members here at my cost $20 each, gave one away to a friend and was able to use 6 tickets for myself.

With the Kansas City, Witchata and Portland Event i now have 10 copies of REvival flatsigned by my favorite author! I quickly traded several copies for store credit at Betts Books!

Long story short!! David at Betts has copies of REVIVAL to sell!

As i reviewed my week of SK, i have to admit, i love hearing him speak at the events instead of the book signing only. Seeing him at both events was awesome. At the Books a Million signing it was get in, get out. I would probably had loved the BAM signing if i didnt already have 4 signed copies. I was so tired, all i could say was Thank You!

At the Witchata Event someone asked him if the documentary - Finding your roots - changed his life and he said *&#$! no. He said Tabitha made him do it. and it was his job to pretend like he was impressed and interested in what the guy had to say. (Pretty Funny)

I am looking forward to January event!

Randall Flagg
11-18-2014, 03:05 PM
I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that members from here attended numerous events and haven't posted (m)any pics. This is a community and those who can't go live vicariously through those who do attend. There is no obligation to document and share pics soon after the events take place, but the lack of contribution is sad.

Rahfa
11-18-2014, 07:22 PM
The South Portland event was very efficient. The staff was mostly friendly. I was out the door by 4 even though I was about 100+ plus back in the line. The signing wasn't even supposed to start until 4. The preparations were more suitable for the Pope than a writer. The police were even there (I hope there were no crimes in S. Portland). The staff lined the interior of the store to make sure no one strayed off the path. I had three tickets and tried my luck at getting my 30+ year old copy of Thinner signed. But no luck. The book folks almost fainted when I handed it to them. They didn't even give it back to me but passed it baton style around King. For one surreal moment it was over his head and they gave it back to me on the way out. Ms Mod claims the book stores insist on only allowing the new book to be signed but I think that is baloney. The rules come from King. His obsession with stopping ebay selling is the only reason for this. It's very silly. The book store folks claimed he even called them to complain about someone selling tickets to the event on ebay. The weather was absolutely miserable. Cold and rainy. The poor folks who live there must suffer in the winter.

I don't think he cares about Ebay even a little bit - if it truly mattered, he wouldn't do any signings at all. He didn't call anybody to complain about tickets - no way do I believe he has the time or interest to care.

You're absolutely right that if King wanted to sign anything, he would...but he just doesn't want to deal with it. The problem with old books is he gets into damaging them, or who knows what. I feel like unless it's a controlled situation he doesn't want old books,, posters, other memorabilia, etc. floating around.

Merlin1958
11-18-2014, 07:42 PM
I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that members from here attended numerous events and haven't posted (m)any pics. This is a community and those who can't go live vicariously through those who do attend. There is no obligation to document and share pics soon after the events take place, but the lack of contribution is sad.

Stephen King came to my room!!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/7499/80PgBX.jpg

chaos-consultants
11-18-2014, 08:18 PM
I am interested in a copy of signed revival with a flyer/ticket -- Thanks for the PM in advance
John

RichardX
11-19-2014, 04:19 AM

I don't think he cares about Ebay even a little bit - if it truly mattered, he wouldn't do any signings at all. He didn't call anybody to complain about tickets - no way do I believe he has the time or interest to care.

You're absolutely right that if King wanted to sign anything, he would...but he just doesn't want to deal with it. The problem with old books is he gets into damaging them, or who knows what. I feel like unless it's a controlled situation he doesn't want old books,, posters, other memorabilia, etc. floating around.

He is obsessed with eBay resellers. The entire structure of this book tour was designed to make it as difficult as possible to resell tickets. Ms Mod has confirmed as much. The book store folks told me that he had called personally to complain about someone reselling tickets on eBay. It doesn't take one nano second longer to sign an old book over a new book. So that's not the reason.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 05:20 AM
The book publisher probably doesn't want to pay for King's Lear jet transportation, food, lodging, SUV limo etc. for him to sign previous titles. The idea that King is worried about damaging an older title seems hard to believe. When he has done signings where people could bring any SK item (George Mason for example), he didn't hesitate to sign anything that was old and or fragile. He also didn't blink at signing copies of Rage.
It's just my opinion, but I think Ms. Mod is more "obsessed" than King is with ebay sellers.

RichardX
11-19-2014, 05:50 AM
The book publisher probably doesn't want to pay for King's Lear jet transportation, food, lodging, SUV limo etc. for him to sign previous titles. The idea that King is worried about damaging an older title seems hard to believe. When he has done signings where people could bring any SK item (George Mason for example), he didn't hesitate to sign anything that was old and or fragile. He also didn't blink at signing copies of Rage.
It's just my opinion, but I think Ms. Mod is more "obsessed" than King is with ebay sellers.

That would make sense except for the fact that they already require you to buy the new book. So they already have your money before the signing. I can understand why they want you to buy the new book at their store, but not why that's the only book they will allow to be signed.

Cook
11-19-2014, 06:10 AM
1st half video from KC event.... this is a test
you might have to hit reload

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/richardcook59/media/IMG_0913_zps6ox8tuqd.mp4.html?filters[user]=116887062&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

2nd half video from KC event... this is a test

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/richardcook59/media/IMG_0913%202_zpsbrpcgwkf.mp4.html?filters[user]=116887062&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

EXPLORER
11-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Hopefully they are smart and kind like Book People and don't make you guys stand outside.

As I mentioned before BAM did get the crowd inside.
HOWEVER ON A PERSONAL NOTE OF WARNING TO ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A BOOK FROM PORTLAND EVENT;
I would suggest getting good close up pics of any you find offered by novice sellers.
I had an unnerving cringe as I watched some people proudly leaving the store with their newly signed Revival in hand and standing outside comparing sigs and stories in the rain. It may have been just a drizzle at that point however I found it quite unsettling and had sympathy for the books. Just another reason to buy from sellers you can trust and value what they sell as much as their customers.

Gris
11-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Did anyone who received multiple signed copies notice how vastly the signature changed from copy to copy?

We came away from DC with 3 signed copies and All 3 were very different. The "Stephen" was normal, but the "King" was noticeably different on all 3.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 06:25 AM

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/richardcook59/media/IMG_0913_zps6ox8tuqd.mp4.html?filters[user]=116887062&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/richardcook59/media/IMG_0913%202_zpsbrpcgwkf.mp4.html?filters[user]=116887062&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Thanks. Photobucket seemed a little choppy, but reloading did help.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 06:29 AM
Did anyone who received multiple signed copies notice how vastly the signature changed from copy to copy?

We came away from DC with 3 signed copies and All 3 were very different. The "Stephen" was normal, but the "King" was noticeably different on all 3.
I looked at the two I had, and the King was a bit different on each one.

Dan
11-19-2014, 01:07 PM
I highly doubt King has any problem signing whatever is handed to him. My guess is that he has to draw the line somewhere and for this trip it was that he was only going to be signing Revival. If started to make exceptions here and there then people would be complaining (as if they weren't already) about it not being fair. If I were in his shoes I would completely understand having to draw a line and sticking with it even when it comes across as being an ass to some people.

I also have no doubt King would tell the various venues to just blame him. Like he could really care if someone was mad at him.

Merlin1958
11-19-2014, 01:11 PM
I highly doubt King has any problem signing whatever is handed to him. My guess is that he has to draw the line somewhere and for this trip it was that he was only going to be signing Revival. If started to make exceptions here and there then people would be complaining (as if they weren't already) about it not being fair. If I were in his shoes I would completely understand having to draw a line and sticking with it even when it comes across as being an ass to some people.

I also have no doubt King would tell the various venues to just blame him. Like he could really care if someone was mad at him.

Spot on perspective!!!

RichardX
11-19-2014, 01:47 PM

That's a meaningless line to draw though. He is signing one book per person. It takes no longer to sign a new book than an older one. The bookstore requires a purchase of the new book. So they and King get their money. At that point there is no apparent reason to limit what book he signs. I can understand not personalizing books or taking pictures because that slows things down, but have yet to see a reasonable explanation for limiting these to the new book.

Merlin1958
11-19-2014, 01:51 PM

That's a meaningless line to draw though. He is signing one book per person. It takes no longer to sign a new book than an older one. The bookstore requires a purchase of the new book. So they and King get their money. At that point there is no apparent reason to limit what book he signs. I can understand not personalizing books or taking pictures because that slows things down, but have yet to see a reasonable explanation for limiting these to the new book.

Give it a break already.

Roseannebarr
11-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Give it a break already.

NO Don't give it a break! it's an interesting topic, important to collector's and interesting to see different opinions, etc... that is what a discussion forum is about.

I too was hoping to get something else signed, after attending 12 different signings, this one was by far the most stringent, strickest, bizarre! There were more staff in line trying to catch people going through twice, trying to "catch" people bringing in other items, etc... These book "nazi's" are on to us! I feel like there is a mole, a stoolie, a narc trying to shut us down. it very well could be someone from this site on the SK payroll. We should develop our own code and new ways to "outsmart" these naysayers, king fan haters, they are out to get us and shut us down!!

I like the discussion! :)

Cook
11-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Give it a break already.

NO Don't give it a break! it's an interesting topic, important to collector's and interesting to see different opinions, etc... that is what a discussion forum is about.

I too was hoping to get something else signed, after attending 12 different signings, this one was by far the most stringent, strickest, bizarre! There were more staff in line trying to catch people going through twice, trying to "catch" people bringing in other items, etc... These book "nazi's" are on to us! I feel like there is a mole, a stoolie, a narc trying to shut us down. it very well could be someone from this site on the SK payroll. We should develop our own code and new ways to "outsmart" these naysayers, king fan haters, they are out to get us and shut us down!!

I agree, very interesting topic !!

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
The only King signing I've been to (Paris) you could get any book of your choice signed even though the tour was promoting Doctor Sleep. I got my 1st/1st The Shining signed and picked up a 1st/1st signed Doctor Sleep on ebay for a good price a few months later (signed at the US Airforce base in Germany - part of the same tour).

It's great when/if you can get anything you choose signed, but roolz is roolz unfortunately. Shit as they may be! If Paris had been a Doctor Sleep only signing, I'd 100% still have went though.

webstar1000
11-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I would love to have my old stuff signed. Sounds like a rare occurance through!

Cook
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
This is a bump..... Stephen King playing guitar in Kansas City.
Watch both videos, you might need to reload.

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for posting those, Richard. Gonna watch 'em before bed. :)

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 03:32 PM

King agrees to sign ~450 copies of Revival at a bookstore (all of the sales of the book go to the venue). King can do that in about 2 hours. Signing ones name 450 times in 120 minutes is not easy. If every person brought 2 more items to be signed (and of course dated, some inscribed), King would be there 6+ hours.
That isn't was the venue signed up for, nor what King wants to do. Simple as that.
Many people have this idea that King should sign whatever they put in front of him. They don't care about anyone else but themselves.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Give it a break already.

I agree. The site lives by passionate discussion.
Positive rep points on your way.

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 03:42 PM

King agrees to sign ~450 copies of Revival at a bookstore (all of the sales of the book go to the venue). King can do that in about 2 hours. Signing ones name 450 times in 120 minutes is not easy. If every person brought 2 more items to be signed (and of course dated, some inscribed), King would be there 6+ hours.
That isn't was the venue signed up for, nor what King wants to do. Simple as that.
Many people have this idea that King should sign whatever they put in front of him. They don't care about anyone else but themselves.

I pretty much agree with this. In Paris Mr King had the courtesy to sign for an extra 30 mins longer than was stated. And still almost 2,000 people were left disappointed.
Where does the man draw the line? He doesn't even need to do these events at all. He's Stephen King ffs!

tippy4
11-19-2014, 03:46 PM
In Canada last year, you could have King sign anything (he signed a letter for me), and he signed ~400 items in about an hour. It was amazing how fast he went through the line.

I also do not understand the logic of allowing only Revival to be signed.....as long as you bought a Revival at the hosting venue.....and as long as it is one item per person, no dates, no inscriptions......what does it matter?

But hey, as said above, he does not have to sign anything ever again if he does not want to...so I for one am happy to have my signed copy of Revival.

I have been fortunate enough to have had four occasions where King signed in front of me, and four occasions where I walked away with a presigned book. I also had one event where I walked away with neither.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 03:47 PM
In Canada last year, you could have King sign anything, and he signed ~400 items in about an hour. It was amazing how fast he went through the line.
What would you estimate the total number of items he signed?

webstar1000
11-19-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't care what he signs for me in Florida. Like it to be some old ones and favourites but I'll take the newest! I just hope for an inscription:)

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't care what he signs for me in Florida. Like it to be some old ones and favourites but I'll take the newest! I just hope for an inscription:)
Plan for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

tippy4
11-19-2014, 04:00 PM
You won't get an inscription (highly unlikely anyhow)....just like in Canada, I believe he has 400 people to go through.

If he inscribed for all, it would double or triple his signing time.....or more.

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah can't see an inscription I'm afraid, Kris. Good luck to you though. :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-19-2014, 04:06 PM
I pretty much agree with this. In Paris Mr King had the courtesy to sign for an extra 30 mins longer than was stated. And still almost 2,000 people were left disappointed. Where does the man draw the line? He doesn't even need to do these events at all. He's Stephen King ffs!

What else did he have to do? Sit in his foreign hotel suite, alone, or sign for another 30 minutes. What would you choose to do?

King is not so big that he can do what he wants. He does whatever "Big Business" tells him what to do. That includes joining "Facebook" to promote his products. He was TOLD to get an account, whether he wanted to or not.

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 04:08 PM
I pretty much agree with this. In Paris Mr King had the courtesy to sign for an extra 30 mins longer than was stated. And still almost 2,000 people were left disappointed. Where does the man draw the line? He doesn't even need to do these events at all. He's Stephen King ffs!

What else did he have to do? Sit in his foreign hotel suite, alone, or sign for another 30 minutes. What would you choose to do?

King is not so big that he can do what he wants. He does whatever "Big Business" tells him what to do. That includes joining "Facebook" to promote his products. He was TOLD to get an account, whether he wanted to or not.

I'd have went to the pub.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-19-2014, 04:11 PM

Me too, but I'm an alcoholic Scotsman. King cannot even drink nowadays. Sad!

The Library Policeman
11-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Me too, but I'm an alcoholic Scotsman!

Aren't we all? ;)

Lot guy
11-19-2014, 04:25 PM
The problem or obstacle was having to hand your book to a "middle man"The bookstore staff was so concerned if I bought a book from them, of course they seemed to forget that was the only way to get a ticket, King seemed like he would have signed any Revival book. He even commented on the UK ones, it's great he does these signing for us fans as stated he doesn't have to, he seemed much more at ease than he did in Kansas, he also was very gracious & appreciative for the poster I finally was able to give him

webstar1000
11-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Shit well I will take what he gives me:)

Randall Flagg
11-19-2014, 05:31 PM
The problem or obstacle was having to hand your book to a "middle man"The bookstore staff was so concerned if I bought a book from them, of course they seemed to forget that was the only way to get a ticket, King seemed like he would have signed any Revival book. He even commented on the UK ones, it's great he does these signing for us fans as stated he doesn't have to, he seemed much more at ease than he did in Kansas, he also was very gracious & appreciative for the poster I finally was able to give him
He didn't do an official signing in Kansas City. Was he ill at ease when you "stalked" him and got your $8.95 Father Cody 'Salem's Lot DJ signed in felt pen?

Lot guy
11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
He didn't do an official signing in Kansas City. Was he ill at ease when you "stalked" him and got your $8.95 Father Cody 'Salem's Lot DJ signed in felt pen?

Ouch!

EXPLORER
11-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Deanna and I are still on our Revival tour..............
After traveling with our katet ( Twistednadine, Cook, Tippy ) from KC to Wichita and back to KC as well as Palavar with TN, Roseannebarr, The Wizard (David) and others in Portland my wife and I decided to go on an additional quest alone roaming stores all over Maine. Bangor tonight and Bangor tomorrow!

herbertwest
11-20-2014, 01:41 AM
I think that it mostly depend on the venue. If the signing venue is a (n independent) bookstore, then it definitely make sense to encourage people to buy the latest book by being the only one he would agree to sign...

stroppygoblin
11-20-2014, 02:16 AM
..my wife and I decided to go on an additional quest alone roaming stores all over Maine. Bangor tonight and Bangor tomorrow!

Am I the only one who sees a double entendre in that statement? :evil:

Rahfa
11-20-2014, 05:10 AM

He is obsessed with eBay resellers. The entire structure of this book tour was designed to make it as difficult as possible to resell tickets. Ms Mod has confirmed as much. The book store folks told me that he had called personally to complain about someone reselling tickets on eBay. It doesn't take one nano second longer to sign an old book over a new book. So that's not the reason.

If he was obsessed with ebay sellers, he wouldn't do any signings at all.

In fact, the new books are likelier to be sold on ebay than old books.

And I certainly don't believe he's personally calling any bookstore to talk about policies. I believe a representative called a bookstore, and as the story got passed down the line it became "Stephen King called!" Not for a second do I think Stephen King personally called anybody. He's the equivalent of Mark Zuckerburg. There's layers and layers of people between him and the bookstores, all saying "Stephen wants this..."

Rahfa
11-20-2014, 05:13 AM

Give it a break already.

Hahahahahaha...I'm sorry, but you do NOT have any credibility to tell ANYONE to give it a break, e-v-e-r. No offense, but seriously.

And, yeah, like others, I like the theory. I think it's wrong - I think the only reason is that SK doesn't want to deal with it. He wants the same book handed to him every time, so he can keep in a rhythm. He doesn't want to try to finagle a Salem's Lot dustjacket with a Stand dustjacket, and listen to the fan tell him he got it in 1977 - it's a factory assembly line - hand me the new book, I'll sign the new book, move on to the next one. And obviosly, at some signings he's more willing to sign other books.

IF the bookstore left you alone AND you had an old book AND you just stuck it in front of him, he'd probably sign it. But the bookstore staff is poised to make sure that doesn't happen. Like was said, SK is the "bad guy" but he'd probably be happy to sign - IF you broke through that wall. But at two signings I asked him to put my name - which means I'm obviously not going to sell it on ebay - and he politiely declined, so it's not ebay that's the problem. It's the extra work, and breaking out of his rhythm.

It's not a conspiracy, and it's not ebay, it's just an easy assembly line format that makes his life easier.

Rahfa
11-20-2014, 05:17 AM

Uh - yeah, I don't think the conversation went that way.

It was more like, "have your intern open a Facebook account, and have her post some stuff on it every few hours." King CAN do anything he wants, but like any successful businessman, he understands there's a lot of mouths on the food chain.

Randall Flagg
11-20-2014, 10:05 AM
TwistedNadine at Portland, Maine signing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1416506674-TN%20King%20630x840.jpg

Rahfa
11-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that person to the right is wearing a VERY unattractive belly shirt?

(not really)

ICry4Oy
11-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that person to the right is wearing a VERY unattractive belly shirt?

(not really)

Really! I was thinking more along the line of some kind of alien pod thing dropping out to hatch.

The Library Policeman
11-20-2014, 10:17 AM

How's she doing, Jerome? Haven't spoke to her for ages.

Randall Flagg
11-20-2014, 11:25 AM

She seemed happy in the pic.

The Library Policeman
11-20-2014, 11:53 AM

Kinda hard for us to tell though. :lol:

Randall Flagg
11-20-2014, 11:57 AM

What can I say. She values her privacy.

Lot guy
11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
It was great finally being able to meet Twisted Nadine & Roseannebar, I mentioned to her I didn't recognize her as she had taken the blackout mask off, ha ha. Definitely a highlight of the event to finally meet these two prominent members, both very nice people!

The Library Policeman
11-20-2014, 12:27 PM

What can I say. She values her privacy.

Quite right too!

stroppygoblin
11-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Amazing to see a celebrity photo!

(who's the guy in the cap sitting down though?)

Gris
11-21-2014, 07:01 AM
DO the BAM books have a different DJ like the B&N ones do?

Randall Flagg
11-21-2014, 12:22 PM
There are only two DJ's. One says B&N and was sent to Barnes and Noble. All of the others say "bookstores". That is for the USA trade 1st. I have no idea what international books say, but I'd guess B&N is not on the international books.

stroppygoblin
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
There are only two DJ's. One says B&N and was sent to Barnes and Noble. All of the others say "bookstores". That is for the USA trade 1st. I have no idea what international books say, but I'd guess B&N is not on the international books.

UK books only have an abbreviated version of that text on the back. no mention of the bookstore part.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/2AB6EACB-AE88-4D75-A149-3C54C81F2480_zpsxeqlzt6i.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/2AB6EACB-AE88-4D75-A149-3C54C81F2480_zpsxeqlzt6i.jpg.html)

Br!an
11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I already have the B&N cover. I suppose the one I ordered from CD with the slipcase will be the generic type. My UK edition from BookDepository is on it's way.

I think I'm done. I won't be buying all of the UK variants. I might need another CD slipcase though. :tongue:

ICry4Oy
11-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Picked up the B&N copy yesterday, received (signed) bookstore copy today and got the Waterhouse blue end page copy because it was just so damned pretty!

Lot guy
11-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Picked up the B&N copy yesterday, received (signed) bookstore copy today and got the Waterhouse blue end page copy because it was just so damned pretty!
congrats on the signed copy & the varients

EXPLORER
11-21-2014, 08:34 PM
NO.... But SPortland BAM gets a mention on page 343 of Revival. They are happy being there.

Ari_Racing
11-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Deanna and I are still on our Revival tour..............
After traveling with our katet ( Twistednadine, Cook, Tippy ) from KC to Wichita and back to KC as well as Palavar with TN, Roseannebarr, The Wizard (David) and others in Portland my wife and I decided to go on an additional quest alone roaming stores all over Maine. Bangor tonight and Bangor tomorrow!

I'd really love to be able to do such a tour someday :)

Roseannebarr
12-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks to Lot Guy for pointing this out. I was interviewed in Witchata KS on the revivial tour! Made the papers.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article3945508.html

Roseannebarr
12-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I think I should would win "crazy -fan" of the year, sitting in below freezing tempatures for a signed copy of Revival. Ended up with 16 tickets though! This is the news report from Portland Maine. I look terrible. 23 hours sitting in the cold. 3rd in line on the video. got on camera talking twice! Thats me talking about no spoilers and sitting next to the guy who came from Canada for his sons 16th bday present.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/11/11/stephen-kings-newest-book-is-released/18841867
Thanks again for the books!

first person interviewed and second to last.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Link doesn't work.

jhanic
12-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks to Lot Guy for pointing this out. I was interviewed in Witchata KS on the revivial tour! Made the papers.

Congratulations!

John

Roseannebarr
12-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Link doesn't work.

fixed it! Thanks! Glen

Randall Flagg
12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Why weren't you guys in tank tops?

zelig
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
That's cool. Congratulations...

Br!an
12-06-2014, 05:11 AM

"Reitz boasted that he has 65 of King’s 69 books “flat-signed,” a term for signature-only book signings."

Impressive!

RC65
12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
There's been a lot of talk here about the B&N and bookstore variants ...I assumed there was art on the rear dj that distinguished the two...finally picked up a copy today and there's no art at all on the back. So at the risk of asking something that appears to be common knowledge, what is the feature that distinguishes the two?

herbertwest
12-08-2014, 12:57 AM
I think that it's both the art + text (but maybe on the picture that I have it's light and not from the actual cover?)

http://club-stephenking.fr/img/NEWS/novembre/2014/revival-variants/revival--stephenking--backcover--scribner.jpg
http://club-stephenking.fr/img/NEWS/novembre/2014/revival-variants/revival--stephenking--backcover--barnesandnoble.jpg
>>> http://club-stephenking.fr/4353-actualite

Br!an
12-08-2014, 04:58 AM
There's been a lot of talk here about the B&N and bookstore variants ...I assumed there was art on the rear dj that distinguished the two...finally picked up a copy today and there's no art at all on the back. So at the risk of asking something that appears to be common knowledge, what is the feature that distinguishes the two?

It's the text. In the story King mentions Barnes & Noble. That blurb is included on the back cover of the dustjacket. For booksellers other than Barnes & Noble they provided copies that read "the bookstore" on the back. The story remains the same. The UK version uses the same blurb only slightly less of it without the sentence mentioning B&N.

RC65
12-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Ah. Okay, thanks -- for some reason, I had it in mind that it was art-related...I see above the difference in text. Thanks to you both -- I appreciate the clarification.

Br!an
12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
The art is the same. The Barnes & Noble copy is the same picture as the other. It does look darker than that first image though.

I don't have the "bookstore" copy yet since I ordered it with the CD slipcase, so I can't tell you if it is actually darker.

jhanic
12-08-2014, 10:14 AM
The art is the same. The Barnes & Noble copy is the same picture as the other. It does look darker than that first image though.

I don't have the "bookstore" copy yet since I ordered it with the CD slipcase, so I can't tell you if it is actually darker.

Other than the verbiage on the back, I see absolutely no difference in the two.

John