PDA

View Full Version : Final Dark Tower collection paperback only?

mae
05-22-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785149414/

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger: Last Shots [Paperback]
Release date: October 8, 2013 | Series: Dark Tower
The mentally handicapped young Sheemie possesses the awesome power to shatter the very Beams of the Dark Tower - the fulcrum of existence itself. But Sheemie doesn't want to destroy reality. He is in the prison of Devar-Toi, and all he wants is his friends to rescue him. Roland Deschain is coming for him even now, but Sheemie must evade animal-headed guards and the monstrous Great Old Ones while he waits! Plus: traveling through the Desatoya Mountains, Roland comes across a haunted camp. There, he relives one of his past adventures in which he and his ka-tet were trapped by supernatural enemies. How will the young Gunslinger survive the sinister assault? And how does it relate to his current quest? Find out in this exciting prequel to The Little Sisters of Eluria!

COLLECTING: Dark Tower : The Gunslinger - Sheemie 's Tale 1-2; Evil Ground 1-2; The Fall of Lord Perth 1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41x7jgsuoiL.jpg

fearless-freak
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
i think they'll do a hardback copy first

mae
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
The only release on Amazon that I see is the paperback.

Scoogs
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I hope that's just a typo.

mae
06-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Amazon still lists this as paperback :(

Ari_Racing
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
So does Barnes and Noble.

mae
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Looks like no hardcover indeed... Stupid:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46046

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — LAST SHOTS TPB
Written by ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID
Penciled by RICHARD ISANOVE
Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE
Marvel’s epic DARK TOWER saga concludes! The mentally handicapped young Sheemie possesses the power to shatter the very Beams of the Dark Tower — the fulcrum of existence itself. But Sheemie doesn’t want to destroy reality. Imprisoned at Devar-Toi, all he wants is to be rescued. Roland Deschain is coming for him, but can Sheemie survive animal-headed guards and the monstrous Great Old Ones? Plus: In the Desatoya Mountains, Roland finds a haunted camp and relives a past adventure during which he and his ka-tet were trapped by supernatural enemies. How did the young Gunslinger survive the sinister assault? Finally, how does the Gunslinger’s quest echo the legendary battle between a young Arthur Eld and a towering Lord Perth? Find out here! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — SHEEMIE’S TALE #1-2, EVIL GROUND #1-2 and SO FELL LORD PERTH #1.
136 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4941-5
Note: This is the first time the below contents have ever been collected. There has been no hardcover of “Dark Tower: Last Shots

Bryant Burnette
06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
What an odd decision. Sales of the hardbacks must have fallen badly.

Shannon
06-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Not really, I mean ... it looks like it's only going to be five comics collected.

Scoogs
06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I've only bought the hardcover compilations.
Weren't some of those only collecting 5 or 6 issues?

Shannon
06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Yes, but they were real story arcs, this is three super-mini arcs.

Bryant Burnette
06-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Not seeing a difference.

CyberGhostface
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
A bit surprised that they didn't wait for the omnibus to include this.

Bryant Burnette
06-18-2013, 05:38 PM
A bit surprised that they didn't wait for the omnibus to include this.

I wouldn't assume that there will even be a second omnibus. If the first one sold poorly, I doubt they'd do a second. Don't get me wrong; I have no clue what sales were like, so I'm merely speculating.

mae
06-18-2013, 07:07 PM
But it makes no sense for this to not be hardcover.

Bryant Burnette
06-18-2013, 11:25 PM
But it makes no sense for this to not be hardcover.

Not unless sales have dipped so badly that it isn't cost-effective for Marvel to release a hardback. That'd really be the ONLY valid excuse, as far as I'm concerned. But I suspect that isn't the case, because if it were, would they have released "Sheemie's Tale" and "Evil Ground" at all? I kinda doubt it.

mae
06-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I thought it was just a mistake at first. Will probably have to cancel my preorder.

Bryant Burnette
06-23-2013, 01:46 AM
This poses a problem for my collection. I have each issue of the series in single-issue format, and then I also have each of the hardbacks, because those are easier to read than dragging the single issues out of their bags/boards.

I have none of the paperbacks, because why would I (what with having the hardbacks and all)? So...do I play a wait-and-see game with Marvel and hope they relent and publish a hardback? Or do I just go ahead and buy the paperback under the assumption that they have no intention of releasing a hardback?

This is a very lame thing to put mental energy into worrying about. And yet...

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 06:36 AM
I have all the single issues and only the first two hardcovers. After that the book seem to take a turn into the fan-fic territory and it wasn't worth it to me to get the hardcovers. I kept buying the singles because, heck, I have no life and it's three bucks a month but I wouldn't keep them on a SK shelf because they're not SK.

That said, I can't lie-if every comic book published after the DT omnibus came out was collected in a second instalment, I'd buy it. Not because it's DT necessarily but because I collect deluxe editions and comic book collections.

Bryant Burnette
06-24-2013, 09:33 AM
I have all the single issues and only the first two hardcovers. After that the book seem to take a turn into the fan-fic territory and it wasn't worth it to me to get the hardcovers. I kept buying the singles because, heck, I have no life and it's three bucks a month but I wouldn't keep them on a SK shelf because they're not SK.

That said, I can't lie-if every comic book published after the DT omnibus came out was collected in a second instalment, I'd buy it. Not because it's DT necessarily but because I collect deluxe editions and comic book collections.

I've got the first omnibus. Very cool. I'll definitely buy the second one if it is published, despite not being all that wild about the actual content.

Anton_io
10-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Hi! Today is Last Shots Release Date - October 15!
So, is there any news about hardcover?

LostAlivE
10-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I can't believe they didn't finish the set the right way. By right way I mean with a Hardcover Edition. It seems like there is always someone that will screw up a collection it is a shame really.

Scoogs
04-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Now that Gallery 13 has taken over the reprints, Last Shots is finally getting a hardcover release this July.

Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/Last-Shots-Stephen-Kings-Tower/dp/1982109947/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=isbn+1982109947&qid=1555871690&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull)

fezziwig
10-24-2019, 10:36 AM
I think it's the only in Amazon !

Scoogs
01-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Amazon shows hardcover releases of the first three The Drawing of the Three collections this year.
The Prisoner - March 24, 2020
House of Cards - April 21, 2020
Lady of Shadows - May 19, 2020

I don't see Bitter Medicine or The Sailor listed yet, but I have to assume that Gallery 13 will reissue those as well.

Hunchback Jack
01-06-2020, 03:12 PM
I'm glad to see this. I have the Marvel hardcover editions and stopped buying them when they reverted to paperback only releases. I'm glad Gallery 13 is re-issuing them.

(although, to be honest, I don't care for the actual stories very much, and I doubt whether the volumes themselves will gain value as collectibles)

HBJ

daniel_pyle
05-13-2020, 04:31 PM
I'm glad to see this. I have the Marvel hardcover editions and stopped buying them when they reverted to paperback only releases. I'm glad Gallery 13 is re-issuing them.

(although, to be honest, I don't care for the actual stories very much, and I doubt whether the volumes themselves will gain value as collectibles)

HBJ

I'm pretty much right there with you. I got the hardcovers up through The Man in Black but never any of the TPBs. The Drawing of the Three is my favorite book in the series, so I can't help but buy the new hardcovers Gallery 13 is releasing, but it's definitely one of those cases where I'm aware I'm collecting something just to collect it and not necessarily for the joy of it. I'm torn between wishing they'd continue the comics (The Waste Lands seems like it could be the most adaptable) and hoping they stop so I don't feel compelled to keep buying.

I don't see Bitter Medicine or The Sailor listed yet, but I have to assume that Gallery 13 will reissue those as well.

Still no sign of The Sailor, and Gallery 13's own website doesn't list any of the Drawing of the Three HCs. The back of The Prisoner also only shows the first four books. I know it's crazy times right now, and I'm sure I hope we'll see The Sailor eventually, but it'll definitely trigger my mild OCD if something happens and we end up one hardcover short of a complete set.

Scoogs
05-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Still no sign of The Sailor, and Gallery 13's own website doesn't list any of the Drawing of the Three HCs. The back of The Prisoner also only shows the first four books. I know it's crazy times right now, and I'm sure I hope we'll see The Sailor eventually, but it'll definitely trigger my mild OCD if something happens and we end up one hardcover short of a complete set.

Amazon shows a complete Drawing of the Three boxset from Gallery 13 coming out in October, so I'm sure The Sailor will be released sometime this summer.
They've been dropping one volume a month, so it should be out in July based on that schedule.

daniel_pyle
05-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Amazon shows a complete Drawing of the Three boxset from Gallery 13 coming out in October, so I'm sure The Sailor will be released sometime this summer.
They've been dropping one volume a month, so it should be out in July based on that schedule.

I saw that, but the description also only lists the first four arcs, which is part of what has me scratching my head. The page count of 640 would seem to indicate the inclusion of all five parts though—unless there’s a lot of bonus material.

The lack of any info on their website makes me think they’re probably just really understaffed in that department, so maybe it’s an oversight. I guess we’ll see!

daniel_pyle
07-30-2020, 11:33 AM
I still haven't seen any mention anywhere of The Sailor. The first three HCs list arcs 1-4 in the back, but not the fifth. I haven't received my copy of Bitter Medicine yet, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that I'll learn anything new there. I tried reaching out to Gallery13 via Twitter and their website but got no response.

Scoogs
07-31-2020, 09:23 AM
I still haven't seen any mention anywhere of *The Sailor*. The first three HCs list arcs 1-4 in the back, but not the fifth. I haven't received my copy of *Bitter Medicine* yet, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that I'll learn anything new there. I tried reaching out to Gallery13 via Twitter and their website but got no response.

I was also looking at the Gallery13 website last week trying to find any mention of The Sailor. The site seems very out of date.
You wouldn't think a single volume would have a rights issue, but it seems very odd that nothing showing up for the fifth volume.

daniel_pyle
07-31-2020, 09:47 AM
I was also looking at the Gallery13 website last week trying to find any mention of The Sailor. The site seems very out of date.
You wouldn't think a single volume would have a rights issue, but it seems very odd that nothing showing up for the fifth volume.

Yeah, a rights issue is the only explanation I've been able to come up with. The fifth arc does have a different artist, but who knows. If we end up one hardcover short of a complete set, it'll be pretty disappointing.