PDA

View Full Version : The subtitles

GranChi
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I literally made my account here like half an hour ago, so sorry if there's already been a thread like this, but I was wondering, what are you guys' thoughts on the "Re-" subtitles at the beginning of each book?
I assume "Resumption" for The Gunslinger refers to Roland "resuming" his quest, which the Man in Black mentions at the end, although Roland replies that he never left off. "Renewal" for The Drawing of the Three implies that the experience of meeting new companions and forming a ka-tet renewed Roland's hope and energy. "Redemption" for The Waste Lands seems to have something to do with Jake, and how Roland is able to him back, redeeming himself after letting him die in Book 1. "Regard" for Wizard and Glass I'm not too sure about - maybe something about the way the people of Mejis regarded Roland and his friends? "Resistance" for Wolves of the Calla is a clear reference to the ka-tet's and townspeople's resistance against the Wolves, and "Reproduction" for Song of Susannah is obvious in context too. I haven't read The Dark Tower (Book 7) yet, but from peeking I noticed that it actually has four words as the subtitle.

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Regard = affection. It's the romance.

GranChi
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Good thinking.

Bev Vincent
05-18-2013, 03:40 AM
Fun fact (for me, anyway): I was the one who suggested Reproduction to King.

Bev Vincent
05-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Regard = affection. It's the romance.

There is one specific use of the word at the welcoming party at Thorin's place that inspires the choice of it as the subtitle.