PDA

View Full Version : Who imprisoned...

CyberGhostface
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
...Maerlyn?

Was it Walter?

Way of the Eld
05-18-2013, 12:57 AM
It was wasn't Walter, he was playing games with Tim and as Maerlyn says, he'll be punished for his foolery. It's not actually said properly who trapped him, but I do believe it was the Crimson King himself.

BobbyOodle
07-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Yeah, Walter was the guy who collected taxes basically, in that story. And didn't Maerlyn say it was the monster in the tower? that would be the CK.

Tik
10-16-2013, 02:55 AM
It definitely wasn't Walter. Maerlyn says one of the Red King's emissaries caught him. We don't know who the emissary was - could be just an original character or, if you like finding connections, it could have been Leland Gaunt as this particular emissary was described as playing the part of a wandering peddler, a description used for Gaunt in Needful Things and also Gaunt's form in Mid-World, if the Peddlers Moon poem is to be believed:

Late summer moon
Huge and orange
And the Peddler, who comes out of the Nones
With his sack of squealing souls

(Leland Gaunt carries a sack of squealing souls in Needful Things.)

However, it's stated that once he was caught it was the Crimson King himself who changed Maerlyn into a tiger, albeit from afar.

Brainslinger
06-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I find myself wondering, why a tiger? If you wanted to humiliate your enemy wouldn't you choose something less powerful and embarrassing like a rabbit or something, although mass might be an issue there.

On the other hand maybe the Red King purposeful chose a powerful creature to rub in the fact that in the cage the tiger's power would avail him nothing. He might as well be a rabbit.

SolomonsGal
04-19-2016, 08:20 AM
Perhaps it was Nimue from the original King Arthur legend! Only instead of being trapped in a cave as he is in our world of King Arthur, he was turned into a tiger in Roland's world of King Arthur! !