PDA

View Full Version : Truman Capote

NeedfulKings
12-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I admit that I knew very little of Capote or one of his most famous works, In Cold Blood, until a short time ago.

I read In Cold Blood and just watched the movie Capote and find the story (both of the book's content and Capote himself) very interesting.

The Book:

I found the story very intriguing and though the content was tragic, the novel was well written and full of Capote's passion. My one criticism of the story was later explained in the film Capote.

Spoilers for both the book and film:

In the book, I grew tired of the authors obsession with Perry Smith. After reading the details of the crime, I had little interest in who Smith was and I really didn't want some compassionate portrayal of him. He was a ruthless killer, but Capote spent many pages trying to analyze the "why's."

After watching the film, I now understand how much Capote was a part of the case and the story AND the killers life. I think to the point where he actually loved Smith. And, to think that this was the last novel he ever wrote is so amazing. It ruined him emotionally and after seeing the film, can understand why.

The Film:

Hoffman was amazing and every bit deserving of the Oscar he won. Especially after watching some of the bonus coverage, including an interview with Capote himself.

The relationship with he and Harper Lee was fun as well. I read Mockingbird last year (I think) and loved it! Someone told me that the character Dill was fashioned after Capote himself. I can see that!!!

If you haven't read the book or seen the film, I recommend you do both. I'm going to pick up some of Capote's earlier works and slip them into my TBR stack.

ZoNeSeeK
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Ive seen Capote and thought it was excellent. Hoffman is awesome - watch Happiness and Magnolia if you like the sort of stuff he does.

AIMB
01-24-2008, 01:33 AM
i just read the novella of breakfast at tiffanys (which of course surpassed the movie in so many ways) but besides that the three stories after that were amazing. he is?was? a very talented author. i want to read in cold blood next.

is it true that he quit writing after he wrote that?

mr.nineteen
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I watched the movie Capote before reading the book so I understood why so much development on the characters. I liked the book, but his style was more interesting than the story itself it seemed to me.

NeedfulKings
01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, In Cold Blood was his last published novel. He did do a few short stories for magazines and a holiday story (One Christmas) before his death in 1984--18 years after In Cold Blood.

It's an amazing story and we've rented a movie called "Infamous" for this weekend. It's about Capote as well.

I hope to read more of his stuff.

Bev Vincent
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
The guy who plays Capote in Infamous is Toby Jones, who plays Ollie in The Mist.

BedOfRoses
02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
After reading In Cold Blood and watching all the movies based on it, I want to read more Capote. I'm thinking of finding a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's next.

NeedfulKings
02-03-2008, 09:37 AM
We didn't like Infamous as well as Capote, but it was still very good.

meggmopp
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I thought the book was excellent.