PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Haven Fundraiser Auction #26-Don Maitz Print With Remarque-Red

Randall Flagg
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/logos/logoEbay_x45.gif (http://www.ebay.com/)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200753750251)AUCTION LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200897436174?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649)

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1361129898-maitz%20desperation%20red%201011x792.jpg

TheDarkTower.org (http://www.thedarktower.org/)is proud to auction this new, unique and fine Collectible item.
For your consideration is a Print from Stephen King's Desperation with original art by the famous Don Maitz (http://www.paravia.com/DonMaitz/website/index.html)!

Maitz did a remarque (Definition:(noun) - A remarque is a small, personalized drawing or symbol that an artist adds (near his or her signature) on a print. The presence of a remarque increases the print's value.)
that is both complex and fascinating!
The piece is approximately 17"x12.5"

Thanks to TheDarkTower.org (http://www.thedarktower.org/) member Merlin 1958, and artist Don Maitz (http://www.paravia.com/DonMaitz/website/index.html) who offered this as a donation to our 2013 Haven Foundation Fundraiser (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?16943-2013-Fundraiser-Benefiting-The-Haven-Foundation).

Ben Staad
02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
That is very cool. I'm not getting my stories mixed up am I? The remarque is depiciting a scene from The Regulators, right?

Merlin1958
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
That is very cool. I'm not getting my stories mixed up am I? The remarque is depiciting a scene from The Regulators, right?

"Desperation" you're "confused" LOL LOL

I'm high bidder for now!!!

Ben Staad
02-19-2013, 12:48 AM
LOL. I'm easily confused these days. Great looking item either way.

Merlin1958
02-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I've been "Outbid"!!!!

It's at $26 right now, but the prints without any remarques go for $65 so this should go for $75 to $100 easily!!!

C'mon folks, BID!!!!

A handsome print if I ever saw one!!!

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I sure hope we can go higher than the current $26.
Hell, the print is $65 + shipping from Maitz without a remarque.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200893062996?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Ben Staad
02-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Just under 14 hours on this one. Come' on and help out Haven and pick yourself up a very nice item as well.

Randall Flagg
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
30 minutes to go. $59 right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200897436174?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Merlin1958
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Surely we can do a little better?

Randall Flagg
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe not.:frown1:

Merlin1958
02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Darn, $58!!!! That's a shame for the HF, good deal for the winner!!!

Randall Flagg
02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
I am starting to get a bit discouraged.

Merlin1958
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Chin up, good buddy!!! We got some cool stuff in the pipeline and two auctions currently open that should do well!!!

We'll "Whore it up" yet!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Wait until we post the __________ item!!!! That'll do well!!!!

Robert Fulman
02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I've been annoyed by the number of items that have been "won" and then donated back to the auction (it might only be three, but I think that's three too many). I was the second highest bidder on the other Don Maitz remarqued print, but it got donated back by the winner. I'm sure others see that as a kind and charitable act, but to me it just meant that I was playing an un-winnable game: I was the only person who actually wanted the print, but I wasn't going to be allowed to have it unless I bid up to an imaginary reserve set by a mysterious third party. The point is, that when this print came up for auction, I didn't bother bidding because I felt like I would be wasting my time.

Merlin1958
02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I've been annoyed by the number of items that have been "won" and then donated back to the auction (it might only be three, but I think that's three too many). I was the second highest bidder on the other Don Maitz remarqued print, but it got donated back by the winner. I'm sure others see that as a kind and charitable act, but to me it just meant that I was playing an un-winnable game: I was the only person who actually wanted the print, but I wasn't going to be allowed to have it unless I bid up to an imaginary reserve set by a mysterious third party. The point is, that when this print came up for auction, I didn't bother bidding because I felt like I would be wasting my time.

And just "Who" are you referring to?

Robert Fulman
02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
The "who" in this case is "the guy who won the first Desperation print". I'm not saying he did anything wrong, I'm just saying that his actions in auction #1 influence my actions in auction #2.

Merlin1958
02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
RF? You wanna take this one? Personally, as much as I hate to say, Mr. Robert Fulman is being a little bit of an ass, IMHO

Randall Flagg
02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Pretty shitty thing to say, but I understand (a bit) where you are coming from.
FWIW, it actually is quite a (bookkeeping) PITA when someone wins an auction and then re-gifts it.
The Desperation Maitz remarque (ebay #20087378138 and thus #20087738101 ) was paid in full for the first auction by someone who then turned around and said re-auction the item. The second auction person paid full price and took delivery of the item. Sorry you didn't win-market economy. You should have bid more.
Two other items (Maitz print ebay #200893062996) and SK Collector goody bag (#200892481307) were both bought and paid for and the winner said to use the item as I saw fit for giveaways/contests. Both were <$100 items and have not been put up for auction.

Perhaps you will be the winner of the Grand Prize and then feel better.

Tito_Villa
02-25-2013, 02:53 AM
I just feel that the economic situation is having a massive part to play, combine that with the fact that a lot of SK collectors have shelled out near $1K over the past month on 2 S/L's then you get your lower selling prices. I don't have a problem with the shill bidding by some people, if you don't win the auction for what you are prepared to pay, never mind, move on to something else, it's always the gamble you play by bidding on ebay.

biomieg
02-25-2013, 05:10 AM
I just feel that the economic situation is having a massive part to play, combine that with the fact that a lot of SK collectors have shelled out near $1K over the past month on 2 S/L's then you get your lower selling prices.

I think Tom's right. I personally did not buy any of the recent S/L editions and I did place a couple of bids on some items that helped raise the price. But I did not go all the way because I'm saving for my wedding. FWIW, the HF Fundraiser is an awesome thing but a great year like 2012 is almost impossible to top, and it's inevitable that sometimes items raise less interest and/or sell for less than expected (for a variety of reasons).

ChristineB
02-25-2013, 06:17 AM
I just feel that the economic situation is having a massive part to play, combine that with the fact that a lot of SK collectors have shelled out near $1K over the past month on 2 S/L's then you get your lower selling prices.

Actually if you add up all the recent special editions the number comes to over $6000 ($5K for the lettereds, $900 for the numbereds and $250 for the gifts) if they bought a lettered, numbered and gift edition of the books. I can't even imagine doing that in less the a month, so I can see where that may influence the prices on these auctions.
Do we have an in with the Haven foundation? Do they help promote these auctions? Do we whore these auctions on FB, Twitter etc.? Just ideas for a bigger audience for this stuff.

I expect to see things go for way more then their market value in a charity auction situation, thinking of that book that was donated by SK lately to the charity in Maine that went for $3000+. If you are looking to get an item in a charity auction you better be willing to pull out your wallet and pay more then the item is really worth, then you better be open to the idea that the winner may turn around and either re-donate the item for re-auction or give it to the charity that the auction is for (seen this happen a lot at charity auctions), so they can do with it what they want. I believe those actions are very very noble.

TwistedNadine
02-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Actually if you add up all the recent special editions the number comes to over $6000 ($5K for the lettereds, $900 for the numbereds and $250 for the gifts) if they bought a lettered, numbered and gift edition of the books. I can't even imagine doing that in less the a month, so I can see where that may influence the prices on these auctions.
Do we have an in with the Haven foundation? Do they help promote these auctions? Do we whore these auctions on FB, Twitter etc.? Just ideas for a bigger audience for this stuff.

I expect to see things go for way more then their market value in a charity auction situation, thinking of that book that was donated by SK lately to the charity in Maine that went for $3000+. If you are looking to get an item in a charity auction you better be willing to pull out your wallet and pay more then the item is really worth, then you better be open to the idea that the winner may turn around and either re-donate the item for re-auction or give it to the charity that the auction is for (seen this happen a lot at charity auctions), so they can do with it what they want. I believe those actions are very very noble.

Agreed, Ditto and Well Said.
If you are wanting to get a steal deal then might be best to stay away from the charity auctions

Merlin1958
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM

And just "Who" are you referring to?

I really don't see your point at all. As long as the winning bidder paid for the item it is his/hers to do with as they see fit. If they want to re-gift it well, more money for the HF and more than likely a second and better chance for you to win it more cheaply.

I apologize for the "Ass" comment. It was a knee jerk reaction.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I donated a SOD Vol II with Chadbourne remarque. I bid on it because I am not willing to let it go for less than $100 to the HF. To me that is not worth the donation. So if I do in fact win it, I may just re-gift it and pay the $90 that I bid as I would have more than likely donated that to the widget anyway.

Does that make the auction un-win-able? I don't think so as the 2nd time around the pressure is off and the take for the HF is all good. Does that make sense? Or am I missing something?

Robert Fulman
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
I was only responding to Randall's discouragement that the auction finished at $59. The reason the buyer's actions matter (to me) is that I realized that, contrary to what Jerome said, I was not bidding against the market. Instead, I was bidding against a super-generous person who wasn't necessarily interested in actually buying the item in question. I gave my explanation for why I didn't bid on the second auction, and I think my reasoning is way more sensible than if someone actually had the audacity to come in this thread and say, "I would have paid $100 for that Maitz print, but I'm a bit strapped for cash right now because I just dropped $6,000 on books in the last two months."

With regards to the SOD II auction, let's say it ends up going for $90. If Randall post, "WTF? Why didn't this go for more?", then I might be willing to post, "I didn't bother bidding because I only value the book at $95, and Merlin had already said that he was going to push it to $100." I don't think not bidding on an auction that I don't think I'm going to win makes me a bad person.

BTW, I'm now the high bidder on the SOD II auction.

Merlin1958
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
I was only responding to Randall's discouragement that the auction finished at $59. The reason the buyer's actions matter (to me) is that I realized that, contrary to what Jerome said, I was not bidding against the market. Instead, I was bidding against a super-generous person who wasn't necessarily interested in actually buying the item in question. I gave my explanation for why I didn't bid on the second auction, and I think my reasoning is way more sensible than if someone actually had the audacity to come in this thread and say, "I would have paid $100 for that Maitz print, but I'm a bit strapped for cash right now because I just dropped $6,000 on books in the last two months."

With regards to the SOD II auction, let's say it ends up going for $90. If Randall post, "WTF? Why didn't this go for more?", then I might be willing to post, "I didn't bother bidding because I only value the book at $95, and Merlin had already said that he was going to push it to $100." I don't think not bidding on an auction that I don't think I'm going to win makes me a bad person.

BTW, I'm now the high bidder on the SOD II auction.

First off, I like you and regret my comment. Second, there is no problem waiting for a likely re-gifting as I pointed out, you'll likely get it cheaper and the HF wins out in the end. I see what you're saying, but as TN pointed out when coming to a charity auction expect the high price and be glad if you luck out.

FWIW, I hope you win. Then I'll know the HF did well and it went to a good home!!!

Edit: that being said, I will stay out of it from here on in!!!

Although, if you get it for less than $125 you might consider a couple "Widget" donations!!! LOL LOL LOL Also. for the record, I had nothing to do with the Maitz auction!!!