PDA

View Full Version : Christine Blu-Ray Limited Edition Pre-sale

Scoogs
02-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Just a heads up for any fans of the Christine movie.

Sony has been licensing the rights to some of its catalog titles to a label called Twilight Time, who then releases them in limited editions of 3000. There are currently no wide releases or retail distribution planned, though Sony could change that after the 3 year license ends.

Christine is scheduled for a March release with the pre-sale starting here (http://www.screenarchives.com/display_results.cfm/category/546/TWILIGHT-TIME/) tomorrow 02/15/13 at 4PM Eastern time.

The more popular genre titles have been selling out in a couple of days and in some cases, like their release of Fright Night, are now selling for quite a bit more on ebay.

Bryant Burnette
02-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Hmm. Might have to buy that. Any word on commentaries/documentaries?

cit74
02-15-2013, 12:13 AM
From one of the sites:
The disc will reportedly include all of the extras found on Sony’s previously released special edition DVD: commentary track with John Carpenter and star Keith Gordon, three featurettes, deleted scenes, and the theatrical trailer. Not being a completely bare bones Blu-ray might make the steep $29.95 price tag a bit more palatable for some

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
From one of the sites:
The disc will reportedly include all of the extras found on Sony’s previously released special edition DVD: commentary track with John Carpenter and star Keith Gordon, three featurettes, deleted scenes, and the theatrical trailer. Not being a completely bare bones Blu-ray might make the steep $29.95 price tag a bit more palatable for some

I'm a huge King fan, and a decent-sized Carpenter fan, so this one is gettin' sold to my ass in a few hours.

Scoogs
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Sold out in just over 7 hours.

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Wow!

Glad I was one of the 3000.

cit74
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Wow seven hours - I picked up 2 of them

Ari_Racing
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Sold out already? Fuck!
Saw this too late

Coulrophobia
02-16-2013, 07:58 AM
I knew about it but did not save the link, and when I came here to get the link the site was down. Karma is a bitch...

cit74
02-16-2013, 08:09 AM
They are already selling on eBay (saw 5 or 6) now at least double price from yesterday.

Scoogs
02-16-2013, 09:27 AM
There was a lot of anticipation for this one on a blu-ray forum I read, so I thought it would sell out fast, but 7 hours was still a suprise.
Can't decide if I want to list my second copy now or wait and see if it climbs to Fright Night levels. $200+ is not uncommon for that one.

Coulrophobia
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
There was a lot of anticipation for this one on a blu-ray forum I read, so I thought it would sell out fast, but 7 hours was still a suprise.
Can't decide if I want to list my second copy now or wait and see if it climbs to Fright Night levels. $200+ is not uncommon for that one.

I would wait for the release, and or combine it with the 30th Anniversary Edition of Christine from PS Publishing (When it is released.) which would make for an interesting auction.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Would someone with an extra copy please contact me. I missed out. Throw me a bone for having the site...

cit74
02-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Would someone with an extra copy please contact me. I missed out. Throw me a bone for having the site...

I thought i did???:)

Jimimck
02-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Might have to wait for my friend at that pirate bay type site to hook me up...

needfulthings
02-16-2013, 09:13 PM

A CHRISTINE BAD TO THEBONE
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/6107/img827c.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img254/7956/img828.jpg

Scoogs
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM

I would wait for the release, and or combine it with the 30th Anniversary Edition of Christine from PS Publishing (When it is released.) which would make for an interesting auction.

That's actually a pretty good idea, but I caved and got $100 for it yesterday.
I have no complaints, that one paid for both copies that I ordered and then some.

Sorry RF, didn't see your post until after mine had already sold.

Randall Flagg
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea, but I caved and got $100 for it yesterday.
I have no complaints, that one paid for both copies that I ordered and then some.

Sorry RF, didn't see your post until after mine had already sold.
Better that you got $100. I want one, but no where near that bad.

Bryant Burnette
03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Got mine in the mail today. Looks great and sounds even better.

Ari_Racing
03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not quite happy with the website that sold 'em. Today they put the cancelled orders for sale, and I started to buy one. Website went down for 10 minutes and when it returned the item was removed from news and order option. I contacted them and 10 minutes later they put a news saying they were all gone in 5 minutes. BULLSHIT. The website had its DB down 3 minutes after 6pm.

Scoogs
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Same thing happened the first time they put it up for sale. I think the site got knocked out for 15-30 minutes in the rush.

Bryant Burnette
03-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a crock of shit, alright. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten a copy of this thing!

Ari_Racing
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Congratulations, by the way! Sorry I didn't said this in my first post! I'm still angry at the website. :)

Ari_Racing
03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Could you post a pic of it?

Bryant Burnette
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Oh, sure:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6-R0r2hy7mA/UTrYWLos1EI/AAAAAAAAOFQ/FSdatTv3zUM/s1600/Christine+booklet+01.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sy_VWT8_2ek/UTrYqRrXrpI/AAAAAAAAOFs/PkltFfmf2Jg/s1600/Christine+booklet+02.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5Czjb2KB1dg/UTrYp70mltI/AAAAAAAAOFo/Kq2aKtYAsN8/s1600/Christine+booklet+03.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-29bd4ptywqc/UTrYujYuisI/AAAAAAAAOF4/XxNRh3HvKg8/s1600/Christine+booklet+04.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MnV3mylECk8/UTrZFEWpLeI/AAAAAAAAOGA/-b7AZjqFrew/s1600/Christine+booklet+05.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-amLhrTtA93M/UTrYWp7N2SI/AAAAAAAAOFU/zqYdaMF_XaQ/s1600/Christine+Blu-ray+front+and+back.jpg

cit74
03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Can't wait to get home from Vegas and watch it - unless ari finds my house and convinces our dog sitter to give him my copy (but I don't think that's an actual contest yet).

Coulrophobia
03-09-2013, 04:12 AM
I am crossing my finger they will be the ones to release "IT" on Blu-ray.

Bryant Burnette
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Why? Wouldn't it be better for it to come out mass-market, so that people can actually buy it without having to do so within a window of a few hours?

Coulrophobia
03-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Why? Wouldn't it be better for it to come out mass-market, so that people can actually buy it without having to do so within a window of a few hours?

Problem is unless a new movie comes out to generate a certain buzz this type of limited release is the only shot "IT" has. Unless one of the actors does some crazy thing to warrant interest where WB might consider a re-release.

Bryant Burnette
03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Oh, I don't think that's necessarily true. That's a very popular movie; or at least a well-known one. I imagine Warner Bros. might be holding off for the 25th anniversary in 2015.

In related news: Jesus Christ, that movie aired nearly twenty-five years ago?!? Ugh...

Bryant Burnette
03-09-2013, 06:36 PM
For the record, I certainly agree that having it come out as a limited-edition Blu-ray would be preferable to it not being on Blu-ray at all. And if it happens, I'll try to buy it!

Coulrophobia
03-09-2013, 06:46 PM
It has been re-issued (Different packaging) a few times so there is hope. It would be amazing to see in HD, and have the speakers turned up high to take advantage of that Emmy winning Bellis score.

Bryant Burnette
03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I'd be more excited about that idea if I didn't think it was kind of a lousy movie. But still, I hope it happens; I like it enough that I would definitely upgrade.

Coulrophobia
03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I'd be more excited about that idea if I didn't think it was kind of a lousy movie. But still, I hope it happens; I like it enough that I would definitely upgrade.

LoL Yes it was not a great movie, but boy did it effect so many kids long after it aired. It is funny reading all the comments on Facebook sites, and YouTube. My own son back when the VHS was released tossed out my first copy (I dug it out of the trash.). He hated the movie, and to this day when I watch it he will not watch it with me. I think even the remake if it is made into a 2 Part theatrical release will have its major critics.

Bryant Burnette
03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh, no doubt; that movie wrecked millions of kids for life. Gotta love that!

mikeC
03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
There's a decent article in Horrorhound this month on Christine, always a good read.

http://www.horrorhound.com/Store/ImageFull/?id=issue040.jpg

sgc1999
03-11-2013, 06:19 AM
[QUOTE=Coulrophobia;761606]I am crossing my finger they will be the ones to release "IT" on Blu-ray.

Unless one of the actors does some crazy thing to warrant interest where WB might consider a re-release.

Lol,
right. like Tim Curry agreeing to do a sequel to Annie and using the complete original cast :wtf:

Coulrophobia
03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=Coulrophobia;761606]I am crossing my finger they will be the ones to release "IT" on Blu-ray.

Unless one of the actors does some crazy thing to warrant interest where WB might consider a re-release.

Lol,
right. like Tim Curry agreeing to do a sequel to Annie and using the complete original cast :wtf:

LoL while in full Rocky Horror drag.

sgc1999
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I think we are on to something :)

Bryant Burnette
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Might have to pick up a copy of that Horror Hound issue. Thanks for mentioning it!

Randall Flagg
03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Even though I have one coming, I couldn't resist bidding $1:
John Carpenter's Christine (1983) Bluray - SOLD OUT!!!! Stephen King Classic! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Carpenters-Christine-1983-Bluray-SOLD-OUT-Stephen-King-Classic-/140933374924?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item20d048a3cc)

Coulrophobia
03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
John Carpenter's Christine (1983) Bluray - SOLD OUT!!!! Stephen King Classic! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Carpenters-Christine-1983-Bluray-SOLD-OUT-Stephen-King-Classic-/140933374924?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item20d048a3cc)

That might be a trap from Merlin. Tread lightly 1%.

cit74
03-14-2013, 04:32 PM

That one got up to $100 pretty quickly. I guess I should have had my dad buy 2 more copies :)

Coulrophobia
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM

That one got up to $100 pretty quickly. I guess I should have had my dad buy 2 more copies :)

Amazing... The part that is really incredible, it is not even really being publicized in the main stream media. It just shows you how much social media is a part of a lot of peoples lives now.

Randall Flagg
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
It looks like two bidders (not me, I was out at $1) are having it out over this one.

Bryant Burnette
03-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Personally, I feel like the people who buy extra copies of these things with the express purpose of flipping them are scumbag pieces of shit. No offense.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Personally, I feel like the people who buy extra copies of these things with the express purpose of flipping them are scumbag pieces of shit. No offense.

Really? So that I understand your "scumbag piece of shit" comment, let me ask you this:

I have multiple copies of books I've picked up over the past, if I sell one, and God forbid I make a profit off it to support my nasty habit of buying books and artwork, I am a, as you put it, "scumbag piece of shit".

If I am understanding you correctly, offense taken.

In closing, if I ever see you sell an item on these boards I will protest your membership.

Sincerely,

Ralph A. Mulleins

Bryant Burnette
03-15-2013, 01:42 AM

Really? So that I understand your "scumbag piece of shit" comment, let me ask you this:

I have multiple copies of books I've picked up over the past, if I sell one, and God forbid I make a profit off it to support my nasty habit of buying books and artwork, I am a, as you put it, "scumbag piece of shit".

In closing, if I ever see you sell an item on these boards I will protest your membership.

Sincerely,

Ralph A. Mulleins

I was referring to limited-edition releases that sell out in a matter of hours, mostly -- it seems -- to people who scoop up multiple copies with the express purpose of selling them at massively inflated prices to the people who were not lucky enough to get one before they were gone.

If you fit that bill, then yes, you are indeed a scumbag piece of shit. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about, so I suspect I'm not talking about you.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-15-2013, 02:22 AM
I thought free enterprise was the bedrock of American society.

Bryant Burnette
03-15-2013, 02:30 AM
I love that movie! One of William Shatner's best performances.

Coulrophobia
03-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Having been on the losing end of many limited edition items it really is a matter of first come first serve or "The chosen ones". I remember losing the Lettered "IT" because the site crashed/or I crashed I never figured it out. Now did I think to call? Nope!! I stared in pure panic trying to get the site to work again knowing time was ticking on my shopping cart, and by the time my brain said call they were all gone. Now I honestly think if a person can afford it, and then wants to sell it that is his or her choice. It was been happening as far back as people pouring into the baseball card store I worked at in the 80's buying every box of baseball cards they could find hoping to pull a Dwight Gooden rookie card (Now look at what they are worth LoL) just to turn around and sell it at the next baseball card show. I personally learned my lesson, and anytime I am looking to purchase a limited item that is about to be released I reset my computer, and then add the companies phone number into my phone with that number being one push away from dialing.

cit74
03-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Not sure if this was directed towards my comment about getting my dad to purchase 2 more copies (as I said tongue in cheek). If so - I wouldn't change what I said. We have created this fervor and get rich quick ability - eBay now makes it possible - since you can get a better price for high demand (again we created that perceived demand) items. Does that make someone a bad person or "scumbag", definitely not. Some people use this as a business for them - good for them. How many times have we missed out on something... oh the first print of wool sold for $10 - 4 months ago - now it's well over $100 - it's my choice if I want to spend that or not - I don't blame the seller one bit - that's free market. If I'm okay with the perceived cost/value that again is my decision.

When the blu-ray came out I bought two - I'm guessing most people did too. Here's a quick question - how many people that purchased Christine DVD on this forum - bought two? I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my second copy. My personal situation was that I didn't need the extra cash - however if I had bills to pay, I would look at this as a quick opportunity to recoup my initial cost AND cover my other expenses. I really enjoy the people I've spoken with and met on this forum during my short time here - when I heard others had missed out on this DVD I messaged them and gave/traded it at my actual cost - but that is just me. My personal circumstances were that I did not need/want to sell at an inflated price.

So I guess that is a bit long winded answer that yes I would take offense to the scumbag reference.

Coulrophobia
03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
If I really like a movie I always purchase two. One to play and one to keep mint. I remember when Duel was released on DVD it was immediately pulled over some dispute, and when I read about the problems I bought up all the copies I could from the stores. I then started the auctions @ .99 cents, and let the buyers decide what they wanted to pay. Then in time it was released again, and now they sell for $11.29 on Amazon.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I would have to say that I am a "piece of shit". I buy things and sell them for more than I paid. Sometimes buying two S/L King books can result in me getting one for free. I don't feel bad about it at all.

needfulthings
03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
An from what i can see they are not even numbered.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
A member was kind of enough to hook me up with a copy. Now I have to commit blasphemy and open the package and watch the movie.

sgc1999
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Not sure if this was directed towards my comment about getting my dad to purchase 2 more copies (as I said tongue in cheek). If so - I wouldn't change what I said. We have created this fervor and get rich quick ability - eBay now makes it possible - since you can get a better price for high demand (again we created that perceived demand) items. Does that make someone a bad person or "scumbag", definitely not. Some people use this as a business for them - good for them. How many times have we missed out on something... oh the first print of wool sold for $10 - 4 months ago - now it's well over $100 - it's my choice if I want to spend that or not - I don't blame the seller one bit - that's free market. If I'm okay with the perceived cost/value that again is my decision.

When the blu-ray came out I bought two - I'm guessing most people did too. Here's a quick question - how many people that purchased Christine DVD on this forum - bought two? I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my second copy. My personal situation was that I didn't need the extra cash - however if I had bills to pay, I would look at this as a quick opportunity to recoup my initial cost AND cover my other expenses. I really enjoy the people I've spoken with and met on this forum during my short time here - when I heard others had missed out on this DVD I messaged them and gave/traded it at my actual cost - but that is just me. My personal circumstances were that I did not need/want to sell at an inflated price.

So I guess that is a bit long winded answer that yes I would take offense to the scumbag reference.

Amen brother.
Seriously some people need to buy and sell some books in order to be able to collect for themselves. This economy is tough. If I didn't sell some of the books I buy, I could never afford to collect. I cant remember how many times I've been on the other side where I just had to have a book and paid a premium. It was my choice and I never blamed the other person. They are just trying to make a living too. If we judge people for capitalism how in good conscience could you watch a ball game or be a fan of a player who makes millions of dollars for playing as game. It is what it is. This is America and yes I agree there is GREED, and that's not cool but judging others for getting there piece of pie isn't cool either. Especially when its a small piece to begin with:)
That said, there is no excuse for trying to make a buck dishonestly, for any reason other than your moms going to die if she don't get a kidney...even then I don't suggest it:)
Just my thoughts.

Bryant Burnette
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=cit74;763186] I cant remember how many times I've been on the other side where I just had to have a book and paid a premium. It was my choice and I never blamed the other person. They are just trying to make a living too.

What I'm referring to is a person who specifically buys copies of a limited-edition book/movie/CD/etc. so that he can sell them at a huge profit once the thing is sold out. For example, someone who bought five copies of the Christine Blu-ray for $30 each and is now selling them for $100 or more each.

That, to me, is despicable behavior. Do those people have the right to do so? Absolutely. But each and every time they do so, they are putting the screws to someone. Rationalize it all you want, but that's just how it is. It's loathsome behavior. It's not "making a living," it's fucking people up the ass.

For the record, I am NOT referring to simply reselling something that has become valuable, such as a first edition or a signed item or what have you. I'm referring specifically to the people who camp on limited-edition sales and buy multiple copies that they then resell for a profit.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
BB, those are moronic statements. If I bought <5 copies of the Christine Blu-Ray and sold them for a nice profit, that would be ok, one more and I am loathsome. YOU get to decide what is fair, or what is "fucking people up the ass".
People that bitch about others making a profit are those that didn't make the profit themselves.
Had you purchased 500 copies of the Christine DVD Limited ($15K + shipping), would you have given them away? Guess what, most of the recipients would have resold them.

WeDealInLead
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
People that bitch about others making a profit are those that didn't make the profit themselves.

What proof do you have of this? Maybe he wanted a copy at issue price?

edit: I see both sides of this argument. It's nice to turn a decent profit with minimum effort but buying multiple copies and jacking up the prices and therefore dictating the market doesn't sit well with me. It's a little like blackmail - if you want this item, you need to pay my price.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
BB, those are moronic statements. If I bought <5 copies of the Christine Blu-Ray and sold them for a nice profit, that would be ok, one more and I am loathsome. YOU get to decide what is fair, or what is "fucking people up the ass".
Had you purchased 500 copies of the Christine DVD Limited ($15K + shipping), would you have given them away? Guess what, most of the recipients would have resold them.

"Randall Flagg," do you commonly buy limited editions and then promptly resell them at a profit to people who were not lucky enough to get a copy before the item sold out? If so (and let's assume that you do, since you are taking offense here), then you are engaging in loathsome behavior; it's just that simple. It's even worse considering that you yourself are a collector, and even worse than that because you are a collector very active on a forum which attracts collectors. This means you are knowingly screwing people, and in some cases quite possibly people you interact with on a semi-regular basis.

It's not that difficult to understand. If you buy five copies, only one of which you intend to keep, then you are demonstrably screwing four people out of being able to buy a copy for themselves. Whoops, sorry; they CAN still buy a copy, I guess, but only from opportunists who will sell it to them at a vastly inflated price. And whoever made the point about not being able to collect books without doing things like this to finance it: that's a rationalization, but you're still doing the same thing, which is taking advantage of other people so as to get something you want.

If you can live with doing that sort of thing to fellow fans, then good for you. You're entitled to keep right on doing it; I'm certainly not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that you are knowingly screwing other people, and I find that to be offensive behavior.

Also, "Randall," please note that I was not setting five as some sort of magical number. I said "for example," which in this instance means "here's a hypothetical number." In my mind, you cross the line into scumbag territory as soon as you buy one extra just to have one to resell.

Just so we're clear.

killbourne
03-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Sincerely,

Ralph A. Mulleins

Agreed!!

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Oh no, whatever will I do?!? Someone might protest my membership!

That'll teach me, won't it?

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 01:00 AM
By the way, I note that there are currently more than 35 copies of the Christine Blu-ray on eBay at hugely marked-up prices. I'd love to know exactly how many of those 3000 copies were bought by people looking to turn a profit on them. I'd wager it's a large percentage.

How sad.

killbourne
03-29-2013, 01:02 AM

Most of the responses towards your comments have been pretty respectful. I hope that you can respond likewise.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 01:05 AM

Responses towards your comments have been pretty respectful. I hope that you can respond likewise.

Right you are. I stand chastised.

killbourne
03-29-2013, 01:12 AM

Responses towards your comments have been pretty respectful. I hope that you can respond likewise.

Right you are. I stand chastised.

Very well then. Hope that you enjoy your time here in the forum.

mikeC
03-29-2013, 05:59 AM

I disagree with this whole-heartedly. It's not all about money for some people, it's the joy of getting something unique and cool.

killbourne
03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

I disagree with this whole-heartedly. It's not all about money for some people, it's the joy of getting something unique and cool.

I agree about the joy of getting something unique and cool. In order to keep getting such things, I have to sometimes buy multiple copies and sell one off. I would love to keep all my copies, but my bank account and wife would be none to pleased if I did.

WeDealInLead
03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
So you jack up prices on purpose on the secondary market to support your hobby? Your hobby is making that very same hobby more expensive for someone else. Is this supposed to inspire understanding?

Do what you want and don't explain yourself, you don't owe anyone an excuse or an apology, BUT you need to realize that some folks don't take scalping lightly. Namely, Subterranean Press. They have a strict one "per person, family and plane of existance" limit for their big sellers. They want as many of their fans to get their books at issue price. There's nothing wrong with that.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM

I agree about the joy of getting something unique and cool. In order to keep getting such things, I have to sometimes buy multiple copies and sell one off. I would love to keep all my copies, but my bank account and wife would be none to pleased if I did.

Here's the thing: you DON'T have to. That sounds like junkie logic to me. And when you do such things, you are screwing other people. So in essence, what you're doing is taking advantage of other people so as to get what you want.

Do you honestly see nothing wrong with that?

Coulrophobia
03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
It is not really anyone screwing anyone the companies selling limited items knows full well that people are buying multiple copies, and selling them for a large profit. The company can if they want limit the amount one person can buy if they so choose. Honestly the fact that certain items sell so well in the aftermarket is a companies dream come true because it generates buzz, and makes others go look at their other products on their website/generate traffic.

needfulthings
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I agree about the joy of getting something unique and cool. In order to keep getting such things, I have to sometimes buy multiple copies and sell one off. I would love to keep all my copies, but my bank account and wife would be none to pleased if I did.[/QUOTE]

So what you are telling us is what you REALY WANT ISMULTIPLE COPIES OF THE EXACT SAME THING IN YOUR COLLECTION? NO WONDER THE BANK ACCOUNT & THE WIFE ARE UPSET.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
It is not really anyone screwing anyone the companies selling limited items knows full well that people are buying multiple copies, and selling them for a large profit. The company can if they want limit the amount one person can buy if they so choose. Honestly the fact that certain items sell so well in the aftermarket is a companies dream come true because it generates buzz, and makes others go look at their other products on their website/generate traffic.

So because the companies selling the items are making some iffy decisions, that removes any need for the individual purchasers to simply do the right thing? I don't follow that logic.

The companies doesn't care who buys what, or at least don't care enough to do anything about it. Most of them don't, at least. From their vantage point, it's all the same; if they sell out their 3000 units, they don't care who gets them, and they don't care what happens to them after they are shipped to the buyers.

Emphasis on the don't care.

That's one thing, but the collectors -- some of whom are undoubtedly not collectors so much as they are speculators and carpetbaggers -- are another. If you bought multiple copies of something you knew would sell out, and did so with the intent to then resell the copies you didn't wish to keep, then you knew you were buying copies that other fans wanted. The neighborly thing to do would clearly be to only buy the number of copies you intended to keep, and let other people get a crack at the ones you passed on buying. By not doing so, you deprived those people of something they wanted. By reselling the copies later at a profit, you took advantage of their weakness. (Not MY weakness, by the way; I have never bought a limited at a markup from a reseller, and never will.)

I'm honestly surprised at the ire I've earned with this. It's like I'm standing in a prison insisting that rape is wrong, and being told, "Nah, that's just how we do."

Randall Flagg
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm honestly surprised at the ire I've earned with this. It's like I'm standing in a prison insisting that rape is wrong, and being told, "Nah, that's just how we do."
I don't sense anyone angry at you. There are those who passionately agree with you, and those who passionately disagree (I am one of them).
I don't think the rape analogy pertains to this discussion.
Healthy debate is a good thing.

WeDealInLead
03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Healthy debate is a good thing.

Agreed. This is one board you can come to and have a good discussion without name calling.

biomieg
03-29-2013, 11:07 AM
BB, I think you'd agree that there's a difference between people buying for the sole purpose of selling (and not keeping any copies for themselves) and people buying a couple of copies and selling a few with a profit so they essentially got their remaining copy for free. I don't have any problem with the latter and I think most if not all collectors here who flip a book every now and then belong to that category.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
BB, I think you'd agree that there's a difference between people buying for the sole purpose of selling (and not keeping any copies for themselves) and people buying a couple of copies and selling a few with a profit so they essentially got their remaining copy for free. I don't have any problem with the latter and I think most if not all collectors here who flip a book every now and then belong to that category.

I think I'd disagree with that. Even if we're talking about flipping only a single copy, that's a copy someone else could have bought who did not then have the opportunity to do so because of people trying to profit off of the secondary market.

I have yet to see anyone offer up a rationalization for this that is not essentially saying "I'm doing this for my own personal gain and it doesn't bother me that other people are inconvenienced as a result." Obviously as far as wrongs go, this one is pretty minor. But that doesn't mean it's something other than wrong. All those small wrongs begin to add up eventually.

Randall Flagg
03-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Every person I have ever sold a book/car/bicycle/electronic item etc. to (usually with a modest profit for myself, but occasionally at a loss) was thrilled/pleased/satisfied, and none felt "inconvenienced". Any one who wasn't satisfied received a refund.
I am not sure how many consumer items you have purchased in your life, but the seller likely made a profit. You also had a choice to buy or not buy the item.
Does your sentiment towards profit only apply to books?

biomieg
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

I think I'd disagree with that. Even if we're talking about flipping only a single copy, that's a copy someone else could have bought who did not then have the opportunity to do so because of people trying to profit off of the secondary market.

I have yet to see anyone offer up a rationalization for this that is not essentially saying "I'm doing this for my own personal gain and it doesn't bother me that other people are inconvenienced as a result." Obviously as far as wrongs go, this one is pretty minor. But that doesn't mean it's something other than wrong. All those small wrongs begin to add up eventually.

Well, you know... shit happens. The whole idea of limited editions is that not everyone can own them. I'm pretty sure that you're more likely to miss out on a limited edition because you were simply late to the game or because the publisher's website crashed. Doesn't have anything to do with unfair competition. I can't imagine that hordes of evil bookflippers snatch up so many copies that nice guys like you and me get left with empty hands every time.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Every person I have ever sold a book/car; any item to (usually with a modest profit for myself, but occasionally at a loss) was thrilled/pleased/satisfied, and none felt "inconvenienced". Any one who wasn't satisfied received a refund.
I am not sure how many consumer items you have purchased in your life, but the seller likely made a profit. You also had a choice to buy or not buy the item.

I am referring only to the process of camping on these limited-edition releases with the express purpose of buying copies to resell at a profit. Selling a car is not even vaguely the same thing.

There are -- demonstrably -- people out there who bought more than one copy of the Christine Blu-ray who are now selling them at a massive increase in price over what they originally cost. They are doing so only because they knew the Blu-ray would sell out, and that there would be people out there who were so desperate to get one that they'd pay whatever they had to pay. Therefore, they figured it would be a good idea to buy multiple copies with the intent of making a profit off of them. That profit is coming at the expense of people who were, as a result, unable to get a copy for themselves unless they are now willing to pay a massive amount of money compared to what a Blu-ray normally costs.

I have no problem with making a profit on something. But the means by which that profit is made matters quite a lot, in my opinion. If you find out that a book in your collection that you paid $10 for is worth $1000, and decide to sell it, well, that's awesome. I've got a few I've considered selling, but I probably won't; they hold sentimental value for me, and that counts for a lot.

But if I did sell one, that's a different thing altogether. Let's use one specific example: the limited-edition hardback of Borderlands 5, which was signed by all of the authors, Stephen King being perhaps the most notable. I paid...what, like, $75 for that? I think it was $75.

I didn't buy it because it was signed; I bought it because it had a new story by my favorite author in it. The signatures are cool, but I was after the story. Since that story is now widely available, I technically don't need the book for the reason I purchased it. But the signature makes it worth my while to keep. If I eventually find that I can sell it for enough money, I might do so. In that situation, I'll be selling it to someone who is buying it for the signatures, or for the rarity of the item. NOT for the story. But I like having the book, so it's unlikely that I'll ever sell it.

Now, if I had, back in the day when that book came out, bought five or six or seven copies, and taken the extras and turned right around and sold them for $150, or $225, or $300, or whatever someone would have been willing to pay for it, I would have been in the wrong to do so. Because (A), that would four or five or six people who would have wanted to buy the book for the stories who would not have been able to do so; and (B) because I did nothing -- nothing whatsoever -- to earn that profit. I may as well be gafflin' those fools who bought those extra copies from me. Were they willing to do it? Yes. Do they feel happy with their purchase? Maybe. Probably, even. But how much happier would they have been if they'd only had to pay $75?

You obviously disagree. Hey, fine, whatever; do as you wish. But personally, I think it's really rather despicable behavior. So is dropping a deuce in a public toilet and then not flushing it; people do that all the time, too, and there's no law against it. Doesn't make it any less nasty.

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Well, you know... shit happens. The whole idea of limited editions is that not everyone can own them. I'm pretty sure that you're more likely to miss out on a limited edition because you were simply late to the game or because the publisher's website crashed. Doesn't have anything to do with unfair competition. I can't imagine that hordes of evil bookflippers snatch up so many copies that nice guys like you and me get left with empty hands every time.

You're not paying attention. Christine sold out in seven hours, and that's not because 3000 people got on the site and bought a single copy. It's because X number of people got online and bought multiple copies, which they are now reselling at a huge profit. As I said earlier, I counted 35 copies currently on eBay, nearly all of which are already near or over $100; and that was just on the first page, and only current items. How many have been sold already?

And that's not unfair competition?

I would wager that the number of people who got one of those 3000 copies purely for their own private use, and not for resale, is shockingly small. I'm one of the lucky ones, happily.

And no, clearly it doesn't happen with every such sale. But it happens with a lot of them, and the problem is getting worse.

Bad Penny
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/tumblr_mb729ssxyF1rawb5do1_500.jpg

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Yikes. What is that?!?

biomieg
03-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh, I am paying attention, I'm just not telling you what you want to hear. But hey, it's my opinion. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree.

Bad Penny
03-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Yikes. What is that?!?

A little "bon mot" to alleviate the intensity (not that it worked) :innocent:

Carry on, please ......

Coulrophobia
03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Sadly nothing will change people will always try to make a buck. "A fish rots from the head down". This starts with the companies selling the products, and until that changes you will always have buyers willing to take a risk for a chance at a huge gain. Just look at concert/sporting event tickets now there is a real pain in the butt.

Randall Flagg
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM

You're not paying attention.

I thought he was paying attention, he just has a different opinion.
Christine sold out in seven hours, and that's not because 3000 people got on the site and bought a single copy. It's because X number of people got online and bought multiple copies, which they are now reselling at a huge profit. As I said earlier, I counted 35 copies currently on eBay, nearly all of which are already near or over $100; and that was just on the first page, and only current items. How many have been sold already?

I would wager that the number of people who got one of those 3000 copies purely for their own private use, and not for resale, is shockingly small. I'm one of the lucky ones, happily.

And no, clearly it doesn't happen with every such sale. But it happens with a lot of them, and the problem is getting worse.
What prevented you from buying all 3,000 copies of Christine?
The laws of supply and demand usually dictate prices.
If you wish to be benevolent and it pleases you, that is wonderful. Resenting others because they made more of a profit than what YOU deem appropriate is your choice.
Are you going to be upset at Betts Books (http://www.bettsbooks.com/)for their pricing?
Are you the person who should review their pricing and decide what would be appropriate?

Merlin1958
03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Hot Damn!!! A Full fledged "Forum" controversy, and I am not involved!!!! I just had to make note of that given my history!!! LOL LOL LOL

For the record, I really don't see a problem with a person buying multiple copies of desirable books and making a profit. If they are in a position to a) assume the risk of resale and, b) have the capital investment. then why not? They may be doing a service to someone late to the game or fulfilling a dream for someone. Bottom line, you don't HAVE to pay, you CHOOSE to pay.

After all, it's just a "down the road" version of what the original seller practiced!!!

Bad Penny
03-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Hot Damn!!! A Full fledged "Forum" controversy, and I am not involved!!!! I just had to make note of that given my history!!! LOL LOL LOL

Well, until now Wild Bill :ninja:

Merlin1958
03-29-2013, 03:25 PM

Well, until now Wild Bill :ninja:

LOL Figured you would notice the irony!!! LOL LOL LOL

killbourne
03-29-2013, 06:40 PM

You're not paying attention.

I thought he was paying attention, he just has a different opinion.
Christine sold out in seven hours, and that's not because 3000 people got on the site and bought a single copy. It's because X number of people got online and bought multiple copies, which they are now reselling at a huge profit. As I said earlier, I counted 35 copies currently on eBay, nearly all of which are already near or over $100; and that was just on the first page, and only current items. How many have been sold already?

What prevented you from buying all 3,000 copies of Christine?
The laws of supply and demand usually dictate prices.
If you wish to be benevolent and it pleases you, that is wonderful. Resenting others because they made more of a profit than what YOU deem appropriate is your choice.
Are you going to be upset at Betts Books (http://www.bettsbooks.com/)for their pricing?
Are you the person who should review their pricing and decide what would be appropriate?
Good point

tippy4
03-29-2013, 08:18 PM

And that would be me you refer to.

Personally, I feel that lazy, stupid, whiney, assholes who come into forums with the express purpose of crying about missing something because they were too slow to get it while it was available should keep their mouth's shut.

But...no offense.

"Randall Flagg," do you commonly buy limited editions and then promptly resell them at a profit to people who were not lucky enough to get a copy before the item sold out? If so (and let's assume that you do, since you are taking offense here), then you are engaging in loathsome behavior; it's just that simple. It's even worse considering that you yourself are a collector, and even worse than that because you are a collector very active on a forum which attracts collectors. This means you are knowingly screwing people, and in some cases quite possibly people you interact with on a semi-regular basis.

It's not that difficult to understand. If you buy five copies, only one of which you intend to keep, then you are demonstrably screwing four people out of being able to buy a copy for themselves. Whoops, sorry; they CAN still buy a copy, I guess, but only from opportunists who will sell it to them at a vastly inflated price. And whoever made the point about not being able to collect books without doing things like this to finance it: that's a rationalization, but you're still doing the same thing, which is taking advantage of other people so as to get something you want.

If you can live with doing that sort of thing to fellow fans, then good for you. You're entitled to keep right on doing it; I'm certainly not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that you are knowingly screwing other people, and I find that to be offensive behavior.

Also, "Randall," please note that I was not setting five as some sort of magical number. I said "for example," which in this instance means "here's a hypothetical number." In my mind, you cross the line into scumbag territory as soon as you buy one extra just to have one to resell.

Just so we're clear.

Interestingly enough...I have five copies of the new signed limited edition of The Shining on order. If you have a problem with that....you can go fuck yourself.......no offense though.

I especially enjoyed your use of the word "loathsome" to describe your presumed "offensive" behavior of Randall Flagg, and how you go on to ask how he "can live with doing that sort of thing to fellow fans". Could you be any more dramatic? We are talking about books and DVDs here man...not food, water, or medicine for orphans. I would love to know what words you might use to describe the actions of pedophiles, drug-dealers, and murderers.

Oh and by the way, in case you did not know, THIS IS HIS FUCKING WEBSITE.....so I think he is providing quite a service free of charge to "fellow fans". Also worth mention is the fact he has recently given a bunch of shit away in the form of contest prizes to those same fellow fans.

Just so we're clear.

killbourne
03-29-2013, 11:17 PM

And that would be me you refer to.

Personally, I feel that lazy, stupid, whiney, assholes who come into forums with the express purpose of crying about missing something because they were too slow to get something while it is available should keep their mouth's shut.

But...no offense.

Just so we're clear.

Interestingly enough...I have five copies of the new signed limited edition of The Shining on order. If you have a problem with that....you can go fuck yourself.......no offense though.

I especially enjoyed your use of the word "loathsome" to describe your presumed "offensive" behavior of Randall Flagg, and how you go on to ask how he "can live with doing that sort of thing to fellow fans". Could you be any more dramatic? We are talking about books and DVDs here man...not food, water, or medicine for orphans. I would love to know what words you might use to describe the actions of pedophiles and murderers.

Oh and by the way, in case you did not know, THIS IS HIS FUCKING WEBSITE.....so I think he is providing quite a service free of charge to "fellow fans". Also worth mention is the fact he has recently given a bunch of shit away in the form of contest prizes to those same fellow fans.
+1

ChristineB
03-30-2013, 07:37 AM
BB I can see your point of view.

I do not agree with it. Were you paying attention in sociology class? The US is (mostly) a capitalist system, that means buy low sell high, no one is forcing you to buy at the prices on ebay atm. I guarantee these will come down in price over time, just wait and you will most likely be able to get one closer to issue price in a year. If not, then pay or don't pay what the market is paying for them at the time. I have to say if I had the money to buy a bunch of them I would do the same thing, maybe not at the major markup right now (faster sales if I offer at lower then market), but I would have done it just the same and not felt anything but happy to have the money.

Brice
03-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Really, I mean profit is fundamental to commerce in all it's forms. Rare is the person who just wants to break even. Of course people will try to make a profit and I really see nothing wrong with that. And lest it be suggested that I'm defending my own actions the few items I've ever sold I've probably sold at a loss. This is just how business is done though. Now when it comes to friends maybe things are somewhat different sometimes. What I mean is sometimes the seller is inclined to make less profit with friends. That's fine too. I guess what I'm wondering is are you so morally sound that you feel okay questioning and judging others ideas of what's right? Since coming to this site and of course the sites that came before it I have met some of the kindest, most generous, wonderful people and I really kinda' take offense to some dude coming here casting aspersions on them. The people here have straight up donated tens of thousands to haven in cash and books. Also I can say people here (without naming names) have given me thousands of dollars in books and similar items just because they wanted to, and when I've been down financially people here have literally paid my fuckin bills for me when I couldn't...all without asking or wanting credit for it. In other instances I've been offered books and the like far below what they should have been sold for. So do I mind if my friends here make a comfortable living speculating and reselling books? Hell no! Of course I don't. These are some of the noblest motherfuckers you could find. And ultimately if I want something I do not care about price. If I want it I buy; if I don't I don't. If I want it and can't afford it I save up and buy it or work out some sort of payment arrangement. Regardless a seller has a right to sell THEIR stuff for whatever the fuck they want.

bdwyer19
03-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Well said Christine and Brice. Couldn't agree more!

Merlin1958
03-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Every person I have ever sold a book/car; any item to (usually with a modest profit for myself, but occasionally at a loss) was thrilled/pleased/satisfied, and none felt "inconvenienced". Any one who wasn't satisfied received a refund.

I am referring only to the process of camping on these limited-edition releases with the express purpose of buying copies to resell at a profit. Selling a car is not even vaguely the same thing.

There are -- demonstrably -- people out there who bought more than one copy of the Christine Blu-ray who are now selling them at a massive increase in price over what they originally cost. They are doing so only because they knew the Blu-ray would sell out, and that there would be people out there who were so desperate to get one that they'd pay whatever they had to pay. Therefore, they figured it would be a good idea to buy multiple copies with the intent of making a profit off of them. That profit is coming at the expense of people who were, as a result, unable to get a copy for themselves unless they are now willing to pay a massive amount of money compared to what a Blu-ray normally costs.

I have no problem with making a profit on something. But the means by which that profit is made matters quite a lot, in my opinion. If you find out that a book in your collection that you paid $10 for is worth $1000, and decide to sell it, well, that's awesome. I've got a few I've considered selling, but I probably won't; they hold sentimental value for me, and that counts for a lot.

But if I did sell one, that's a different thing altogether. Let's use one specific example: the limited-edition hardback of Borderlands 5, which was signed by all of the authors, Stephen King being perhaps the most notable. I paid...what, like, $75 for that? I think it was $75.

I didn't buy it because it was signed; I bought it because it had a new story by my favorite author in it. The signatures are cool, but I was after the story. Since that story is now widely available, I technically don't need the book for the reason I purchased it. But the signature makes it worth my while to keep. If I eventually find that I can sell it for enough money, I might do so. In that situation, I'll be selling it to someone who is buying it for the signatures, or for the rarity of the item. NOT for the story. But I like having the book, so it's unlikely that I'll ever sell it.

Now, if I had, back in the day when that book came out, bought five or six or seven copies, and taken the extras and turned right around and sold them for $150, or $225, or $300, or whatever someone would have been willing to pay for it, I would have been in the wrong to do so. Because (A), that would four or five or six people who would have wanted to buy the book for the stories who would not have been able to do so; and (B) because I did nothing -- nothing whatsoever -- to earn that profit. I may as well be gafflin' those fools who bought those extra copies from me. Were they willing to do it? Yes. Do they feel happy with their purchase? Maybe. Probably, even. But how much happier would they have been if they'd only had to pay $75?

You obviously disagree. Hey, fine, whatever; do as you wish. But personally, I think it's really rather despicable behavior. So is dropping a deuce in a public toilet and then not flushing it; people do that all the time, too, and there's no law against it. Doesn't make it any less nasty.

Dude, "Octopuss"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for letting me know what kind of people populate this form. Good info to have going forward.

biomieg
03-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, the people that populate Calvin's Corner happen to be the crème de la crème of the SK collecting scene. As others have stated more eloquently than I can (not being a native English speaker) the people here are very generous, despite what you might think. You seem to have a certain idea of 'the altruistic collector' that may be a little off, but if you take the time to get acquainted with the group you will see it's a great place to hang out and discuss books and other collectables, or just generally shoot the sh*t and have fun.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for letting me know what kind of people populate this form. Good info to have going forward.
You may choose to hang around. I hope you do. We don't always agree on everything here. Most any discussion forum worth its salt will have intense vigorous discussion.
As long as there is no violation of our TOS-in particular FAQ 3.A "Members are expected to treat their fellow members with common respect on the boards at all times, even during disagreements. Although adult language is permissible in the forums, it should not be used in an aggressive manner with the intent to cause harm or for the purpose of malicious degradation." members can and should post their opinions.

So far I haven't witnessed any malicious degradation. If you just don't like the community itself then you probably should move along; no sense hanging around people you dislike.

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't doubt it.

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I used some language that was a bit harsher than the sentiment behind it called for, but here's my bottom line on this, and then I'll say no more on the subject: it's wrong to take advantage of people, and if everyone lived their lives with a sense of personal accountability for their actions, the world might be a better place.

Is that an unrealistic expectation? On the macro level, of course it is; on the micro level, it's a different story.

killbourne
03-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I used some language that was a bit harsher than the sentiment behind it called for, but here's my bottom line on this, and then I'll say no more on the subject: it's wrong to take advantage of people, and if everyone lived their lives with a sense of personal accountability for their actions, the world might be a better place.

Is that an unrealistic expectation? On the macro level, of course it is; on the micro level, it's a different story.

Well, there are bigger fish to fry in that area than some KING collectors.

Bad Penny
03-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Yep, BB, the kind of people that populate this forum are those people that are able to agree to disagree, the kind of people that have respect for each others opinions (even though they may not always concur with their particular brand of viewpoint), whom understand that others opinions are just kittens that everyone's giving away, the kind of people that choose not bludgeon or belabor a given issue to death, resuscitate it, only to do their level best to kill the motherfucker all over again, that have a deep and abiding love of collecting, that enjoy visiting the forum on a daily basis to engage each other in meaningful (if not always lucid) dialogue, the kind of people that are always willing to bend over backwards to help out their fellow collectors and forum folk, and not solely in terms of the purchase or sale of books or other items (and there are simply too many examples to single out any specific acts of generosity and kindness that occur here on a daily basis), the same people that actively promote and participate in financially benefiting the Haven Foundation each and every year, the kind of people that will happily buy, sell or exchange duplicate items that they may have amongst themselves at fair prices, without rancour (I've had many such exchanges with my fellows here, and not once have I walked away from the deal feeling tainted or soiled or anything but thankful that there exists forums such as this that allow the facilitation of such exchanges).

Yes, BB, now you know what kind of people inhabit this forum, and frankly mate, you cannot honestly expect anything other than some of the responses posted by some of my fellows in reply to your often inflammatory comments - seriously, if you continue to poke and prod a sleeping cat, eventually the furry motherfucker is going to get right royal pissed and do its level best to remove your face.

Essentially, you've actively sought to provoke, ad infinitum, you've singled out individuals for specific criticism - and now you're surprised, disdainful of the forum, of us, because you received the sort of "fuck you" responses that you were seeking in the first place?

Mate, sincerely, step away from your avatar clown, he ain't no friend of yours.

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Yep, BB, the kind of people that populate this forum are those people that are able to agree to disagree, the kind of people that have respect for each others opinions (even though they may not always concur with their particular brand of viewpoint), whom understand that others opinions are just kittens that everyone's giving away, the kind of people that choose not bludgeon or belabor a given issue to death, resuscitate it, only to do their level best to kill the motherfucker all over again, that have a deep and abiding love of collecting, that enjoy visiting the forum on a daily basis to engage each other in meaningful (if not always lucid) dialogue, the kind of people that are always willing to bend over backwards to help out their fellow collectors and forum folk, and not solely in terms of the purchase or sale of books or other items (and there are simply too many examples to single out any specific acts of generosity and kindness that occur here on a daily basis), the same people that actively promote and participate in financially benefiting the Haven Foundation each and every year, the kind of people that will happily buy, sell or exchange duplicate items that they may have amongst themselves at fair prices, without rancour (I've had many such exchanges with my fellows here, and not once have I walked away from the deal feeling tainted or soiled or anything but thankful that there exists forums such as this that allow the facilitation of such exchanges).

Yes, BB, now you know what kind of people inhabit this forum, and frankly mate, you cannot honestly expect anything other than some of the responses posted by some of my fellows in reply to your often inflammatory comments - seriously, if you continue to poke and prod a sleeping cat, eventually the furry motherfucker is going to get right royal pissed and do its level best to remove your face.

Essentially, you've actively sought to provoke, ad infinitum, you've singled out individuals for specific criticism - and now you're surprised, disdainful of the forum, of us, because you received the sort of "fuck you" responses that you were seeking in the first place?

Mate, sincerely, step away from your avatar clown, he ain't no friend of yours.

Yawn.

Brice
03-30-2013, 01:27 PM
So if you're unhappy here; go then! Or stay and get to know some really good-hearted people. Suit yourself either way. :)

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
So if you're unhappy here; go then!

Are there other worlds than these? And who said I was unhappy?

Randall Flagg
03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok. End of subject. The thread was about the DVD.
Move along (all of us), and no more derailing.

Brice
03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, there are. I figured I'd leave the reference hanging.

It's just the impression you gave in this thread. I've been wrong before...once or twice.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2013, 01:43 PM
BTW, I viewed the DVD and the sound was unimpressive. The special effects were good, and the darker scenes deep and detailed.
Some of the well lit scenes (and it happens in DVD 1080P) look almost like a "video scene"-almost too clear. They resemble test video shots; and are not film-like (word?).

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
BTW, I viewed the DVD and the sound was unimpressive. The special effects were good, and the darker scenes deep and detailed.
Some of the well lit scenes (and it happens in DVD 1080P) look almost like a "video scene"-almost too clear. They resemble test video shots; and are not film-like (word?).

Really? That's a shame. I haven't made time to watch the entire thing yet; the sound seemed pretty good on what I sampled, but then again, I've got a very limited system.

Either way, it's a massive upgrade over the edition that was out there before.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Really? That's a shame. I haven't made time to watch the entire thing yet; the sound seemed pretty good on what I sampled, but then again, I've got a very limited system.

I am going to (when time and lighting situations allow) take a few high res pictures of the scenes where it is noticeable. I'll post them here.

killbourne
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM

I am going to (when time and lighting situations allow) take a few high res pictures of the scenes where it is noticeable. I'll post them here.
How does the extras compare to the DVD?

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they're exactly the same.

Merlin1958
03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Damn, everybody back to being civil!!! This thread has lost it's appeal!! LOL :FU:

Just Kidding folks!!! It's just you rarely get to use the FU smiley with out being a dick!! LOL LOL Glad to see that got worked out!!

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Damn, everybody back to being civil!!! This thread has lost it's appeal!!

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Scoogs
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I finally had a chance to watch this last night for the first time in many years.

The audio was about what I would expect from a modest budget movie from 1983. Not a ton of low end, so I didn't get to piss off the neighbors wth this one.
The film transfer looked really good. There was still plenty of grain, so thankfully they didnt scrub the hell out of it with DNR and sharpening to try and make it look modern and digital. (None of the reviewers have noted if the transfer came from the OCN or not).

Randall, I'll have to rewatch a few of the scenes that you note and see if I notice it. That's normally something I notice pretty quickly.

jhanic
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I guess I'm going to have to get a Blu-Ray machine soon.

John

Merlin1958
03-30-2013, 03:30 PM

John

Me too!!! LOL LOL

It's funny, I owned a successful Telecom Company until 2000, but since I sold it, I have really gotten off the "cutting edge" of technology. Really embraced the whole "Grand-Pa" thing I suppose....

Coulrophobia
03-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I am waiting for VHS to go high def. Until then my View-Master rocks!!!

killbourne
03-30-2013, 03:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they're exactly the same.

Thats what I was wondering about. Thanks!!

killbourne
03-30-2013, 03:41 PM

John

I usually go with refurbished stuff in that dept. Cheaper, and in my experience just as good as new. Here are some places where you can get a deal on stuff.

http://www.woot.com/

http://slickdeals.net/
http://www.fatwallet.com/
http://dealnews.com/index.html

If anyone has anymore of these type of sites..please share. I'm always looking!

needfulthings
03-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Damn, everybody back to being civil!!! This thread has lost it's appeal!! LOL :FU:

Just Kidding folks!!! It's just you rarely get to use the FU smiley with out being a dick!! LOL LOL Glad to see that got worked out!!

C'MON BILL AS PART OF THE OLDER GENERATION SHOW A LITTLE CLASS.
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4373/img277r.jpg

Coulrophobia
03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Please hold unique queries until elected?

Merlin1958
03-30-2013, 04:44 PM

C'MON BILL AS PART OF THE OLDER GENERATION SHOW A LITTLE CLASS.
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4373/img277r.jpg

I thought I was!! LOL LOL Ok, "Fuck you guys and your bad opinions"!! Better? LOL LOL LOL

Bad Penny
03-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Damn, everybody back to being civil!!! This thread has lost it's appeal!!

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Yeah, and it was just starting to get interesting - damn !!!! :evil:

Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted - and, yeah, I'm on topic - anyone here got a spare copy of the bugger to sell me ???? :D

Brice
03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Yes, I have 500 copies for 10,000 a piece. You must buy the whole lot though. :P

Bad Penny
03-30-2013, 07:04 PM
:emot-roflolmao: Sweet deal Brice, a bargain at 1/2 the price :emot-roflolmao:

Bryant Burnette
03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Rape!

Brice
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
No thanks! LOL

BP: ;)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2013, 02:06 AM

John

Don't waste your money John. Older people do not have "Blu-Ray" eyes or ears. We cannot hear half the things on the soundtrack because of the deteriation due to age.

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2013, 03:56 AM

John

Don't waste your money John. Older people do not have "Blu-Ray" eyes or ears. We cannot hear half the things on the soundtrack because of the deteriation due to age.

What is your definition of older people? I'm just wondering if I'm there. I pretty much love my Blu-Ray player.

herbertwest
03-31-2013, 04:45 AM

Would be interested in seeing this. Saw t he movie at the cinema last year.... and it was a long time since i hadnt watched this movie (nor CARRIE, that was released the same evening)

TwistedNadine
03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Interesting discussion earlier but since the subject is closed guess Ill keep my opinions to myself. I will mention that I really enjoy all the different personalities here. So much variety there's never a dull moment. Well almost never.

But I have a comment/question - is it just me or is $100+ an absolutely ridiculous price to pay for one of these? Is it signed? Blessed? What am I missing?

needfulthings
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Interesting discussion earlier but since the subject is closed guess Ill keep my opinions to myself. I will mention that I really enjoy all the different personalities here. So much variety there's never a dull moment. Well almost never.

But I have a comment/question - is it just me or is $100+ an absolutely ridiculous price to pay for one of these? Is it signed? Blessed? What am I missing?

THE RUNNING OF THE LEMMINGS.:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic ::panic:

Randall Flagg
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't pay $100 for one. They are on ebay with a BIN at $90 and are not sold. For whatever reason "Christine" is only available in Blu-Ray HD this way. There is no other way to view it in High Definition (unless some theater is showing the actual film).

Scoogs
03-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Twilight Time has the exclusive license from Sony for three years. At the end of that time Sony can do a mass market release if they choose to.
Basically they've been licensing out some of their old catalog releases this way if they don't feel they are worth the investment of a full mass market campaign.
Some of these are cult films that do well enough at 3000 copies that there's a chance Sony will decide to do a larger retail release.

There were 100 or so that were signed by Keith Gordon. I believe those were released when the "leftovers" from the original sale were released. You had to spend at least $100 to get one.

Fright Night was the first title to sell out quickly from Twilight Time and that frequently sells for $200+. Christine almost seems cheap in comparison.
Crazy? Sure, but the blu-ray collectors probably say the same thing about the prices that we pay for books that we don't even read.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2013, 10:19 AM

John

What is your definition of older people? I'm just wondering if I'm there. I pretty much love my Blu-Ray player.

Its not so much the vision, because we can correct our vision with spectacles. But, you should know more than anyone, older people can only hear about 2/3rds of what is on a soundtrack.

Merlin1958
03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey RF? Since you are now the "Owner", can I be "Director" again? LOL LOL LOL

or, do I have to ask, Patrick since you're too big to fail?? LOL

Brice
03-31-2013, 02:07 PM
At least with my if I want it I'll buy it philosophy there is no real sane limit (by most people's standards) to what I'll spend on something I want. There is a limit, but I'm not sure where I say that's too much to spend on a movie, book, album, etc... If I won the lottery or inherited a huge sum of money I'd be broke in a fuckin' week.

Merlin1958
03-31-2013, 02:09 PM
At least with my if I want it I'll buy it philosophy there is no real sane limit (by most people's standards) to what I'll spend on something I want. There is a limit, but I'm not sure where I say that's too much to spend on a movie, book, album, etc...

The more important question, Brice, is can I be "Director" again!!! LOL LOL LOL Focus, dude, focus!!! :wtf:

needfulthings
03-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Nice to know. Because Keith only signed 150 out of 3,000(The REAL LIMITED EDITION?) DID THE RESALE VALUE ON 2,850 COPIES JUST GO DOWN?JUST WATCH & ENJOY

Randall Flagg
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Nice to know.:GEE... Because Keith only signed 150 out of 3,000(The real LIMITED EDITION.) DID THE RESALE VALUE ON 2,850 COPIES JUST GO DOWN?
Did he sign them on the shrink-wrap? If so, worthless.
If he signed something inside, who knows.

Coulrophobia
03-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Picture off eBay. Signed on the interior booklet.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/RuleofSixes/T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyHGcBRQsMOL6fw60_12_zps54d87dfe.jp g

needfulthings
03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
UNWRAPED & SIGNED.
I GUESS I'LL JUST STAY WITH MY SIGNED LIMITED BOOK.
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/1161/img282g.jpg

Randall Flagg
03-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Picture off eBay. Signed on the interior booklet.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/RuleofSixes/T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyHGcBRQsMOL6fw60_12_zps54d87dfe.jp g
Random signature?

Scoogs
03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Random how?
All of the current and sold auctions that I see show them signed in the same spot.

Coulrophobia
03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Random signature?

Random how?
All of the current and sold auctions that I see show them signed in the same spot.

From the Twilight Time DVD Label Facebook Page:

Friday, March 8th -
Now that SAE has had a chance to process all the orders for CHRISTINE, as normally happens there are cancellations, this means a limited quantity of CHRISTINE will be available again for sale. These will retail at the usual $29.95 and will be limited to one copy per customer. Also, we are very pleased to announce that actor / director Keith Gordon has signed a limited quantity of promotional copies. The autographed copies will be given away FREE to any customer who purchases $100 dollars worth or more, of Twilight Time product. ($100 dollars equals one free copy, $200 dollars equals 2 free copies and so on.) Both the signed and unsigned regular retail copies will be available March 8th, 4 pm EST. (Set your alarm clocks!)

Randall Flagg
04-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Scoogs, I was asking if the sigs were randomly distributed, but I think I understand now. thanks.

Iwritecode
04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Could the posts about buying things specifically to re-sell them be moved to a separate thread? Seems like it would be an interesting topic.

Randall Flagg
04-02-2013, 12:08 PM
A new thread could be created and the posts either cut and pasted into the new thread, or copied (so that this thread keeps its actual flow). The problem is the first post creating the thread will then be moved to the end of the thread and thus the thread will not start with an introductory post.
There are ways to work around it, but it involves erasing an old archived thread (and that thread then vanishes).

Merlin1958
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Could the posts about buying things specifically to re-sell them be moved to a separate thread? Seems like it would be an interesting topic.

I would think that you could create such a thread, type the introduction and then post the link here for folks that wanted to pursue the topic further. However, It really seems to have run its course and there are obviously two polarized camps. Just saying....

Shannon
04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Dammit, I can't believe I missed out on the big discussion! One off-discussion remark and then one on-discussion remark.

OFF-DISCUSSION: I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that no one really knows what sort of items are going to increase in market value and when. We all have hunches and we remember patterns and such, but no one for SURE knows that if they buy ten copies of something to sell nine of them, that those nine are going to sell for a "worth-it" amount. The $100 market value on the Christine blu-ray is already dying down, eventually it will be half that. As a "reseller," it's always a big risk to stick your neck out and purchase things that might not sell, because then not only have you wasted money, but you're stuck with items that no one wants. Trust me, I have a spare closet full of Star Trek memorabilia, comic books, trading cards, old slot machine toppers, magazines, movie posters, etc etc. I bought them to sell and they didn't. Of course, a lot of other stuff I DID resell for a higher price, but that's the name of the game.

ON-DISCUSSION: I've never seen the movie Christine or read the book Christine.

Merlin1958
04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
This is somewhat pointless... Do what you wanna do, and damn the man!!!

Coulrophobia
04-03-2013, 05:14 AM
Dammit, I can't believe I missed out on the big discussion! One off-discussion remark and then one on-discussion remark.

OFF-DISCUSSION: I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that no one really knows what sort of items are going to increase in market value and when. We all have hunches and we remember patterns and such, but no one for SURE knows that if they buy ten copies of something to sell nine of them, that those nine are going to sell for a "worth-it" amount. The $100 market value on the Christine blu-ray is already dying down, eventually it will be half that. As a "reseller," it's always a big risk to stick your neck out and purchase things that might not sell, because then not only have you wasted money, but you're stuck with items that no one wants. Trust me, I have a spare closet full of Star Trek memorabilia, comic books, trading cards, old slot machine toppers, magazines, movie posters, etc etc. I bought them to sell and they didn't. Of course, a lot of other stuff I DID resell for a higher price, but that's the name of the game.

ON-DISCUSSION: I've never seen the movie Christine or read the book Christine.

I remember when POGS were a hot ticket. For about a month. LoL

Iwritecode
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM

I would think that you could create such a thread, type the introduction and then post the link here for folks that wanted to pursue the topic further. However, It really seems to have run its course and there are obviously two polarized camps. Just saying....

Seems like people still have thoughts on it.

Heres' the new thread. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17254-Buying-things-specifically-to-sell-for-a-profit.&p=767727#post767727

Randall Flagg
04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks for starting a new thread.
I might be able to manually quote folks from this thread.

Merlin1958
04-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Seems like people still have thoughts on it.

Heres' the new thread. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17254-Buying-things-specifically-to-sell-for-a-profit.&p=767727#post767727

It seems that you are very right!!! Good job!!! :rock: