PDA

View Full Version : PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Scoogs
01-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Saw this in their newsletter today:

Okay, I’m going to carry on with birthdays and celebrations with the news that we’re going to be publishing not one but *two* special anniversary editions—a right royal pair . . . a brace of Kings, even. Yes, as close as we can get to the original publication dates from way back in 1983 (April 29th and November 14th respectively) we’re going to put out 30th Anniversary Editions of Christine and Pet Sematary . . . with new wraparound covers, new two-page endpapers back and front (each one different) and full colour wraparound artwork on a special slipcase, along the lines of the ones we’re doing for our comicbook reprint series. So that’s four spreads—*plus* a half-dozen interior b&w illustrations—for each book. The artists will be signing the tip sheets and we’re aiming to run a facsimile signature from the author. We’re planning on either 300 or 400 NUMBERED copies so, as you might imagine, we’re very excited. I hope you are, too. Watch out for further announcements over the weeks ahead.

I'm suprised by the small editions for these, but both are on my want list. Hopefully they won't be too difficult to get.

Never have understood the point of facsimile signatures...

cit74
01-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I just saw that today as well - whats your guess on price. I am hoping it is around $125 and not much more...

Jimimck
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll be keeping an eye out fore more details when announced.

Stockerlone
01-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Nice, with Mark Geyer as illustrator.

herbertwest
01-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Interesting... but fac simile signature from what i read ;-)

WeDealInLead
01-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Two slipcased gift editions of classic books with a small print run? Sign me up!

Pasiuk57
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
PS always does a good job in my opinion!

jhanic
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
If they are using facsimile signatures, I'm not that interested.

John

mae
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure I understand the trend of having limited editions necessarily be illustrated. If we are talking fantasy, that at least makes some sense. But why do realistic novels like The Shining, Pet Sematary, or Christine need illustrations?

Scoogs
01-12-2013, 06:01 PM

John

At least they are signed by the artist, but I'd prefer they skipped the facsimile and just called it a 30th Anniversary Artist Edition.

Pablo, I think they just want to add a little new content. Sometimes artwork is the only way to do that.

tippy4
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM

John

Nor am I.

I only buy UK books if they are signed by King.

My already strained shelves would collapse if I did otherwise.

Cloysterpete
01-13-2013, 12:39 AM

John

Im more interested in them producing a good looking book to collect as you can't buy mint hardcovers of either book these days, more important to me than another King sig. I just hope they don't use the sig reproduction as an excuse to jack up the price. Gift editions are my favourite type of books to collect, artists editions not as much as the cost becomes excessive.

Always good to be able to get sme King books without having a humongous shipping fee. So recently we've had IT, Shining and now these two, all the gaps in my King hardcovers are filling up slowly but surely. I could really do with someone making a nice new Cujo edition, I hate looking at all the old ratty hardbacks from back in the day on the shelf.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-13-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't care what they are, I'm buying them.

Brian James Freeman
01-13-2013, 06:55 AM
I don't care what they are, I'm buying them.

Me, too. :)

Brian

Roseannebarr
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
I predict $175 for each. i think they are in it for the money.

mistercrowley
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
What else would they be in it for?

Randall Flagg
01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Fame...

Merlin1958
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Fame...

...Fortune and everything that goes with it, I thank you all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCrZfTkG1c

Just saying.... LOL

Roseannebarr
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Fame...

Good one. I am just not one fo rcorporate greed.

Randall Flagg
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Fame...

But it's been no bed of roses...

Scoogs
01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
I predict $175 for each. i think they are in it for the money.

If they're only in it for fortune and glory, why limit said fortune with such a tiny edition size?

swintek
01-13-2013, 09:01 PM

John

Im more interested in them producing a good looking book to collect as you can't buy mint hardcovers of either book these days, more important to me than another King sig. I just hope they don't use the sig reproduction as an excuse to jack up the price. Gift editions are my favourite type of books to collect, artists editions not as much as the cost becomes excessive.

Well said! I agree- I love gift editions, and get very excited when I see that I can get- essentially- the same beautifully designed, printed and bound book (sans signature page, of course)- for a fair price. I remember King once said that he feels like everyone should be happy with "one" signature of his in our lifetime. I've got 4 or 5 (I couldn't even tell ya'- it really is all about the quality of the book to me) I'm good with that.

Having said that- I'm shocked that some of you guys are "hoping" (or, at least, speculating) the book goes for somewhere in the $125- $175 range. For an unsigned (by the only guy who should command a premium) anniversary edition? Sheesh, I'm hoping they're in more like the $60-$75 range!

Ron

Jimimck
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm in your camp Ron. I'm a gift collector too, with a handful of signed copies. I'm looking forward to seeing what these look like, and fingers crossed for a lower price than $100+

Bad Penny
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Fame...

But it's been no bed of roses...

Nope, no pleasure cruise :P

Bad Penny
01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm in your camp Ron. I'm a gift collector too, with a handful of signed copies. I'm looking forward to seeing what these look like, and fingers crossed for a lower price than $100+

I, too, will be interested in seeing what PS do with these two :smile:

cit74
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM

John

Well said! I agree- I love gift editions, and get very excited when I see that I can get- essentially- the same beautifully designed, printed and bound book (sans signature page, of course)- for a fair price. I remember King once said that he feels like everyone should be happy with "one" signature of his in our lifetime. I've got 4 or 5 (I couldn't even tell ya'- it really is all about the quality of the book to me) I'm good with that.

Having said that- I'm shocked that some of you guys are "hoping" (or, at least, speculating) the book goes for somewhere in the $125- $175 range. For an unsigned (by the only guy who should command a premium) anniversary edition? Sheesh, I'm hoping they're in more like the $60-$75 range!

Ron

I agree with Ron (after re-thinking my initial thought on price) -without a real sig, it would be nice in 60-$75 range...but their limited one for the road goes for $120 - and that is small, unsigned, but illustrated well (not sure how many were in the unsigned print run, there were 100 just signed by the artist). Their other king books went for between $40-$80 (riding the bullet and colorado kid).

Patrick
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
... I'd prefer they skipped the facsimile and just called it a 30th Anniversary Artist Edition...

...For an unsigned (by the only guy who should command a premium) anniversary edition? Sheesh, I'm hoping they're in more like the $60-$75 range!

Ron
You guys both read my mind.

WeDealInLead
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I think it's going to be around $150. It's a pretty small run (smallest ever?) of gift editions for one of the bigger authors out there and that alone will make it a desirable collectable. Compare that to the number of GEs that SubPress will be doing for The Shining for a little less money and the talk of greed is out the window.

This kind of collectable is perfect for a fan/collector like me. I collect different editions of King's books but his signature is insignificant* to me. The emotional attachment/OCD tendencies simply aren't there and unless the S/L is the real limited edition (like Six Stories, Skeleton Crew, Black House (yes, i'm aware of the GE but it's a different looking book), W&G, DT 7), I usually get the gift edition. I get why people want his signature, but the complusion simply doesn't exist for me.

* Unless there is a cool backstory like in the endless supply of inscribed books Bob has. Or hand-written corrections by King. Or inscribed books in front of you. That's neat. Insomnia S/L? Not so much.

WeDealInLead
01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Just for comparison, small presses normally do a run of 200-300 hardcovers priced at $50 and they usually come without a slipcase. Taking into account that PS will have to pay for the rights and also King's cheque, the book will have to be at least $100, but more likely $150. Brian Keene's (just an example of a full-time writter) latest anthology was $50 so we really shouldn't expect a King limited to be in that price range.

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
You know, it's worth mentioning that it is kinda cool that King has joined the ranks of other authors like Tolkien, Poe Bradbury and Asimov in that his works are being "Gift-ified" by the publishers if you know what I mean. They have been doing gift editions of Tolkien for years and years!!! Great that he has apparently joined the ranks

Bev Vincent
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Ramsey Campbell has agreed to write an introduction for Pet Sematary and Michael Marshall Smith will do likewise for Christine.

Randall Flagg
01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Wonderful.

cit74
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
i just posted this in wrong thread - but there is info on pre-ordering the anniversary editions. You can pre-order through overlook website (both copies) - and they are slipcased and only $95 each.

http://stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/christine-anniversary-limited-edition-p-1860.html

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the final print runs will be a little different than Pete was thinking when he first sent his newsletter, but that's just a hunch.

Brian

becca69
02-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know if it's been announced anywhere besides Overlook? I don't see it on PSPublishing.

east-tennessee
02-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Does Overlook charge at the time order is placed or when books are shipped?
Ordering all these limiteds is killing my wallet...........:pullhair:

carlosdetweiller
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Is the $95 that Dave is charging going to be the publication price? Do we know yet, for sure, what PS is going to charge?

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Is the $95 that Dave is charging going to be the publication price? Do we know yet, for sure, what PS is going to charge?

I emailed Pete and will post whatever I hear back!

Scoogs
02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Seems odd that someone else is taking pre-orders before PS themselves. Did Overlook jump the gun?

east-tennessee
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I reserved one of these today :) http://stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/pet-sematary-anniversary-limited-edition-p-1861.html
I spoke with Overlook today, they say the publisher is trying to keep the price at or below $100.
Also found out Overlook does not charge untill shipping...

Brian.

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Seems odd that someone else is taking pre-orders before PS themselves. Did Overlook jump the gun?

From what Pete said when he replied to me, it sounds like maybe by a little bit. Print runs and pricing still to come.

Brian

cit74
02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
just saw that Pete changed updated the page on the website - to reflect what is stated above

Roseannebarr
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
I guess i ordered from Overlook. i stopped doing that awhile ago, becuz it seems like it takes forever for a company to ship other peoples books. anybody have insight on how well overlook ships others books? i had to cancel two orders from CD because they never shipped my american vampire and something else. it was easier just to order them from amazon.

WeDealInLead
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
My wife, trying to surprise me for Christmas a few years back ordered The Illustrated SK Companion by our own Bev Vincent. It came with a signed bookplate and that was the reason for going through Overlook. After many, many delays and excuses I finally received the book in late Feb/early March.

PS shipping is pretty cheap, I'll probably go with them. Camelot usually get their books and with shipping it's less than what the books would cost from UK.

ELazansky
02-07-2013, 04:46 AM
You can preorder these books at Sub Press if anyone is interested:

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/christine_preorder
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/pet_sematary

namelessnpoor
02-07-2013, 04:59 AM

I just preordered them from sub press, shipping was only $8.66 total which has to be cheaper than the shipping from PS.

SkippyD023
02-07-2013, 05:13 AM
How is that other sites are offering these but they are not yet available from PS? Are they guarantied the copies they are selling or just making a guess and hope they get them?

thegunslinger41
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Seems like 2 cool editions to get...especially if the print runs stay low....However, after the SHINING and DR. Sleep S/L's...i'm all King'ed out for a while.

Bummer.

G

Brian James Freeman
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
How is that other sites are offering these but they are not yet available from PS? Are they guarantied the copies they are selling or just making a guess and hope they get them?

We will be getting a few copies, but we're probably only going to be able to offer them to the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club. If we sent a note to our mailing list, we'd oversell our allotment in about a minute. So the sites that are selling them now probably know how many they're getting and want to lock in those sales now. :)

Brian

P.S. Our policy is to not list a product for sale before the publisher gives us the "ok" and I'm waiting for today's update from Pete to see when we can sell our copies.

Scoogs
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM

I just preordered them from sub press, shipping was only $8.66 total which has to be cheaper than the shipping from PS.

That's odd, shipping cost me $11.66 and I'm in a neighboring state!

Brice
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Ummm....just a question based on that last link posted...were there s/l and lettereds of these anniversary editions.

becca69
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Ummm....just a question based on that last link posted...were there s/l and lettereds of these anniversary editions.

I thought that was strange too. I just wish these were coming out a bit later so there was some recovery time from the last two big announcements! <_<

jhanic
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the "signed" copies are signed only by the artists, not by King. King's signature is still a facsimile in these editions.

John

ELazansky
02-07-2013, 01:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the "signed" copies are signed only by the artists, not by King. King's signature is still a facsimile in these editions.

John

Correct:

Facsimile Stephen King Autograph.
Two Signed pages by both featured artists
Four double page Color artwork spreads.
Color Cover
Illustrated Slipcase
Front and back endpaper art
Six Interior black & white illustrations

namelessnpoor
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM

I noticed that when I oredered my copies, I think its just a generic order page they have, and they gray out options that are not available for each specific book.

herbertwest
02-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Is that me or the publisher didnt announce the preorder of those titles, yet?

ELazansky
02-08-2013, 04:40 AM
I just preordered them from Camelot - I like that they don't want payment up front.

jon10g
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
These are now available to order on the PS site £59.99 each. The limitation is 750 and they will not be published until Spring 2014.
Jon

Bev Vincent
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Christine: http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/christine-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1712-p.asp

TITLE Christine
A NOVEL by Stephen King
PUBLICATION DATE April 2013
EDITION Wraparound covers, two-page endpapers and interior art.
Full colour wraparound artwork on a special slipcase.
COVER ART & ENDPAPERS Tomislav Tikulin
INTERIOR ART Jill Bauman
INTRODUCTION Michael Marshall Smith
AFTERWORD Richard Chizmar
PRINT RUN 750
ISBN 978-1-848636-08-8

Pet Sematary: http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p.asp

TITLE Pet Sematary
A NOVEL by Stephen King
PUBLICATION DATE November 2013
EDITION Wraparound covers, two-page endpapers and interior art.
Full colour wraparound artwork on a special slipcase.
COVER ART TBA
INTERIOR ART TBA
INTRODUCTION Ramsey Campbell
AFTERWORD TBA
PRINT RUN 750

WeDealInLead
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
The price is right and I like everything I'm seeing in those descriptions.

I "ordered" both from Camelot.

mistercrowley
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't know. Now that the print run is that high I think I'm going to pass

RC65
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
What is the forum's general consensus r.e. the longterm value of these? On par with other Gift editions (holds value w/ perhaps a slight increase), or because of the low limitation and signatures of contributors more likely to increase to a greater degree? Or for some reason I can't conceive of, more likely to diminish in value as compared to U.S.-based publishers' Gift editions? I can't quite decide what to do...1). my King budget is shot, and 2). I already have UK 1st HCs of each of these two which I've always liked.

WeDealInLead
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Camelot doesn't require pre-payment.

I think they'll hold their value.

mae
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Hm, so these are 31st Anniversary Editions now?

Ari_Racing
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Unless last minute change, the interior art of Pet Sematary will be done by Mark Geyer (he confirmed that last December on Facebook).

Now...I think that the higher quantity of copies (750 against 300/400 rumored) and the anouncement in the same week of Doctor Sleep Gift edition (and only three weeks after The Shining Gift edition) will go against these books. I doubt they'll sell out before March/April.

Patrick
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I ordered one of each from PS Publishing. International delivery to California was 10 pounds total.

Along with all the artwork, I like that the each volume will be signed by all non-King contributors, will include a slipcase, and will cost under a hundred bucks.

SkippyD023
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Camelot is sold out. I went to place an order during my lunch break and they were gone.

PS might be my only choice now. I just hate having to pre-pay a year in advance. It would be nice if instead of paying for the entire purchase you could just place a small desposit to hold your copies and pay the remainder when the books are published.

Ari_Racing
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Wo wo wo...I never saw that both books would be released in 2014...

east-tennessee
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Camelot is sold out. I went to place an order during my lunch break and they were gone.

PS might be my only choice now. I just hate having to pre-pay a year in advance. It would be nice if instead of paying for the entire purchase you could just place a small desposit to hold your copies and pay the remainder when the books are published.

You can reserve a copy here with out paying anything untill they ship.

http://stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/pet-sematary-anniversary-limited-edition-p-1861.html
http://stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/christine-anniversary-limited-edition-p-1860.html

David at Betts will probly have some for people to reserve?
Wow hate to see that 2014 release date...

lor1974
02-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Wo wo wo...I never saw that both books would be released in 2014...

I would guess that the 2014 publication date is a typo.
PS posted a number of new books to their 'forthcoming titles' page today and they've all been (inadvertently) given a 2014 release date.

Ari_Racing
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Just got confirmation from Pete that both editions will be released in 2013. 2014 is a typo.

east-tennessee
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Just got confirmation from Pete that both editions will be released in 2013. 2014 is a typo.

Good to here that..:cool2:

sgc1999
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM

http://stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/pet-sematary-anniversary-limited-edition-p-1861.html

Just a heads up. The link posted above does charge you now for these books. I ordered mine there and my card was charged for both books. Hope this helps.

east-tennessee
02-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Just a heads up. The link posted above does charge you now for these books. I ordered mine there and my card was charged for both books. Hope this helps.

Thats strange I asked Dave at Overlook if I would be charged at order or shipping...He stated if you pay by CC you won't be charged untill shipping.
I placed my order monday 2/4/13 and have not been charged. I would send him an e-mail.

Brian..

east-tennessee
02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I sent David @ Betts an e-mail to see if he will be getting any copies for his customers to preorder........

The Library Policeman
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Just ordered these from PS Publishing. That's me done for the year !!

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Me too. I've spent enough money in the last month or so on Stephen King books to make a down payment on a new car. But the car depreciates in value and the books are worth ten times what I paid for them in a year. Right?

LostAlivE
02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
So does any one know it Overlook waits to charge until they ship or if you have to pay upfront? With ordering all of these other great books that have come out in the last two months I am standing here with empty pockets.

tippy4
02-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Me too. I've spent enough money in the last month or so on Stephen King books to make a down payment on a new car. But the car depreciates in value and the books are worth ten times what I paid for them in a year. Right?

Keep telling yourself that......

east-tennessee
02-09-2013, 09:38 AM
So does any one know it Overlook waits to charge until they ship or if you have to pay upfront? With ordering all of these other great books that have come out in the last two months I am standing here with empty pockets.

I ordered both editions and was not charged. (see post #74)
I contacted Dave through is contact-us tab at the top of the order page before I ordered.
That was my specific Qs... will you charge at order or at shipping he stated if you pay with a CC you will not be charged untill the books ship.
I suggest you contact him before ordering to confirm this.

I have not heard back from David at Betts about whether he will be getting any copies. I'd say he's busy digging out of the snow...:eek:

Brian..

sgc1999
02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I ordered both editions through overlook and was charged through paypal for both books plus shipping. I checked my PayPal account.

east-tennessee
02-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I ordered both editions through overlook and was charged through paypal for both books plus shipping. I checked my PayPal account.

I guess it's a paypal thing, I'ts like transfering money to someones account..they have no controll to recieve it at a certain time.

sgc1999
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
did you use a cc?

east-tennessee
02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
did you use a cc?

Yes, I used my Visa card.

Brian..

Scoogs
02-09-2013, 10:46 AM

That's good news, I can live with April and November releases.

Ari_Racing
02-09-2013, 11:38 AM
did you use a cc?

Brian..

And you weren't charged yet or the store mentioned that they'll only charge you when it's released?

east-tennessee
02-09-2013, 12:01 PM
did you use a cc?

Brian..

And you weren't charged yet or the store mentioned that they'll only charge you when it's released?

No my card has not been charged...
Through e-mail Dave said if you pay with a CC you will not be charged until the books are shipped.

Brian

Ari_Racing
02-09-2013, 12:01 PM
And that is an excellent news! :)

thegunslinger41
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I just knew it!!!!!!!

FROM LATEST SUBTERR. EMAIL

"In addition, our friends at PS Publishing will be releasing two Anniversary King Editions with facsimile signatures, and print runs projected to be 750 copies apiece. "

And I somehow thought maybe they would stick to their 300-400 print run that was advertised in their presale. Fuggin capitalism.

:(

PS Still...i guess i should be happy that it's "currently" (keeping my fingers crossed) only at 750...even though of course...the wording allowed them STILL...to pretty much print as many as they fuggin want. Ugh.

Brian James Freeman
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
We're getting too few copies of these titles to send out a note because our copies would be gone in a matter of minutes before the note even finished sending, so if you want to order one of these books from us, just email Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com with the appropriate book title in the subject line (or both if you'd like both) and she will help you out!

Brian

herbertwest
02-15-2013, 04:42 AM
From the PS Publishing newsletter :

CHRISTINE ARTWORK

We’re on the way with CHRISTINE, folks. Already in is the first draft from his first (of four) landscape art pieces from PS fave Tomislav Tikulin, who also illustrated CD’s edition of FULL DARK, NO STARS and the first (of six!) interior b&w illustrations from Jill Bauman. Word is in that both Michael Marshall Smith and CD’s Richard Chizmar are hard at work on (respectively) the Introduction and Afterword (actually, they’re re-reading the novel, as am I—hey, it’s a dirty job but someone has to do it!), and our Mike is busy preparing the signing sheet.

http://www.ekmresponse.com/Documents/4147/Images/Christine.jpg
http://www.ekmresponse.com/Documents/4147/Images/ChristineGray72.jpg

The Library Policeman
02-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Loving the colour art. :)

mae
02-17-2013, 06:27 AM
http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_30th-anniversary-stephen-kings-chistine-29234.shtml

Cloysterpete
02-17-2013, 07:47 AM
I just knew it!!!!!!!

FROM LATEST SUBTERR. EMAIL

"In addition, our friends at PS Publishing will be releasing two Anniversary King Editions with facsimile signatures, and print runs projected to be 750 copies apiece. "

And I somehow thought maybe they would stick to their 300-400 print run that was advertised in their presale. Fuggin capitalism.

:(

PS Still...i guess i should be happy that it's "currently" (keeping my fingers crossed) only at 750...even though of course...the wording allowed them STILL...to pretty much print as many as they fuggin want. Ugh.

I just want a nice book with good art and a nice slipcase, it's of no concern to me if there are 10 copies of it or ten thousand. In fact I would prefer a large edition run as printing costs would be cheaper so hopefully PS would pass on some of their saving and of course more people would get to own the book rather than just a select elite few hundred.

mistercrowley
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Seeing as how it's a collectible limited edition the print run should match. That is the whole idea after all

Lookwhoitis
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Are there any other American sellers who have these books offered without having to pay upfront? Camelot is out of their allotment.

I would like to get them but have just spent too dang much cheese recently on books!

cit74
02-17-2013, 12:04 PM
overlook connection did not require upfront payment if CC used - not sure if they have any more in their allotment

Merlin1958
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
overlook connection did not require upfront payment if CC used - not sure if they have any more in their allotment

Much as it pains me to say, I have supported OC for a long while, they are somewhat "unreliable". I recently requested a "refund" for slipcases I purchased and paid for years ago. IDK what's up with Dave, but he is not exactly a "chatterbox". Order at your own risk. Sorry to say, really!!! I was always a big supporter, but now, not so much!!! He really disappointed me. Such a shame!!!

cit74
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Much as it pains me to say, I have supported OC for a long while, they are somewhat "unreliable". I recently requested a "refund" for slipcases I purchased and paid for years ago. IDK what's up with Dave, but he is not exactly a "chatterbox". Order at your own risk. Sorry to say, really!!! I was always a big supporter, but now, not so much!!! He really disappointed me. Such a shame!!!

Thanks - I might consider getting it directly from ps site. Although Dave did reply pretty quickly to the questions I asked him regarding the pre-order (so i will keep my fingers crossed) and give the benefit of the doubt

Merlin1958
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks - I might consider getting it directly from ps site. Although Dave did reply pretty quickly to the questions I asked him regarding the pre-order (so i will keep my fingers crossed) and give the benefit of the doubt

Very cool, but unfortunately so did I. As I said it really pains me to say, but after years of disappointment I have no other options. Good luck. I hope you fare better!!!

east-tennessee
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM

I placed an order for these from Dave at OC. This is my first time ordering from OC, hopefully everything will go smoothly..:smile:
If not I'm sure these will be available on the secondary market, probly below issue price.

Brian.

east-tennessee
02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I just checked the OC site, it appears they don't have any more of these to preorder..

Brian James Freeman
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Christine artwork update from Tomislav:

http://www.tomtikulin-art.com/page0/files/page0-1002-full.html
http://www.tomtikulin-art.com/page0/files/page0-1003-full.html

Brian

east-tennessee
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice.....:D

Patrick
03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I really like both of those!

Coulrophobia
03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
They both seem to have depth, and movement to them. Very nice work.

Jimimck
03-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh crap! I was trying to avoid buying these, but that's some cool art!

Ari_Racing
03-05-2013, 05:15 AM
So far, Tomislav King's related work has been INCREDIBLE. He definitively should be the star illustrator of a S/L edition.

Randall Flagg
03-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Great images!

mae
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Not a fan of the one with the skull. Very shlocky. The other one is very cool though.

Roseannebarr
03-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Not a fan of the one with the skull. Very shlocky. The other one is very cool though.

agreed. am i missing something. i thought the car was evil. not some ghost/skull hanging around the car. bad memory maybe.

Coulrophobia
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I look at that image sort of like it is revealing Christine's soul (An apparition one might say).

mistercrowley
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Think both are fantastic. The skull kicks ass. It's a book about a killer car, schlock away

herbertwest
04-22-2013, 01:06 AM
From what i noted, the 30th anniversary of CHRISTINE is in exactly 1 week (29th of april).
If as they said they want to release this book as close as possible from the release date, then we should SOON hear more about this project...

CyberGhostface
04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

agreed. am i missing something. i thought the car was evil. not some ghost/skull hanging around the car. bad memory maybe.

In the book it was possessed by the spirit of its previous owner IIRC. The movie cut it out though.

Ari_Racing
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Last thing I heard from Pete was that book was planned for May/June at the end.

Bev Vincent
05-17-2013, 10:01 AM
The big news this week is we can confirm that, next year (spring and late winter respectively), we’ll be doing special slipcased Anniversary editions of Stephen King’s THINNER (originally published under the by-line of Richard Bachman) and SKELETON CREW. Stepping up to the plate for artwork chores on THINNER is Les Edwards while multiple Jack Kirby Award-winning comicbook artist Stephen R. Bissette is already going hell-for-leather on colour spreads for SKELETON CREW plus art-headers for each story. And if that isn’t quite enough for you, we’re aiming to include Pete Von Sholly’s storyboards for Frank Darabont’s movie adaptation of THE MIST. We’ll be doing updates on these two as we move along—with details of Introductions, Afterwords and signatures as they’re decided, pretty much the same way we’re treating CHRISTINE and PET SEMATARY.

Bev Vincent
05-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm also pleased to announce -- since it's now listed on the PS Publishing page for the book (http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p.asp) -- that I wrote the Afterword for the 30th Anniversary edition of Pet Sematary.

biomieg
05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Very cool, Bev. Congratulations!

Brian James Freeman
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm also pleased to announce -- since it's now listed on the PS Publishing page for the book (http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p.asp) -- that I wrote the Afterword for the 30th Anniversary edition of Pet Sematary.

Awesome!

Bev Vincent
05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Here's one of David Gentry's spreads for the book:

http://www.ekmresponse.com/Documents/4147/Images/image001.jpg

The Library Policeman
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Congratulations, Bev. Looking forward to reading it.

mikeC
05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Ooooh Les Edwards for Thinner. I like it!

Thanks for the info.

Patrick
05-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Cool, Bev! Are you going to sign the books?

Randall Flagg
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
This has just been an insanely pleasurable time for King collector's.

Bev Vincent
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
No, I won't be signing. At least, I'm pretty sure I won't.

Rainet
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Bev, just a quick question. The majority of my collection are us editions. Would you say these two books are strictly a uk edition? I ask ,because if so would there ever be possibilities for a us edition say, for example from CD? Or is it that these releases are so rare that, they are basically absolute for some time to come.

Unlike regular retail store editions from uk and us, where many prefer one or the other. Are independent publishing companies an exception to the rule? Just wondering what the general public's stance on this.

Patrick
05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
No, I won't be signing. At least, I'm pretty sure I won't.
I hope you do.

Cutter
05-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Since I don't have the money I used to have 5-8 years ago and I really can't buy new signed King books anymore (except Joyland - thanks Titan!), books like these are pretty cool. I love beautiful editions (the artwork has been great so far) of King's work that I can afford. I'm glad to hear Thinner and Skeleton Crew are also coming up!

Ben Mears
05-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Excellent image; moody & atmospheric.

Ari_Racing
05-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Congratulations, Bev!

And I agree...this has been an awesome year for collectors!

Bev Vincent
05-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Bev, just a quick question. The majority of my collection are us editions. Would you say these two books are strictly a uk edition? I ask ,because if so would there ever be possibilities for a us edition say, for example from CD? Or is it that these releases are so rare that, they are basically absolute for some time to come.

Unlike regular retail store editions from uk and us, where many prefer one or the other. Are independent publishing companies an exception to the rule? Just wondering what the general public's stance on this.

For small press books, I personally don't make a distinction between US/UK. To me this is a PS Publishing edition. I can't see there ever being a 30th anniversary edition of one of these books from another small press.

Rainet
05-27-2013, 08:02 AM

I see this picture as the jacket cover on the site. It's ok, but i hope another piece of artwork makes it through. Is this the definite cover or just a mock up until the cover is finalized? Can't wait for this. I already ordered Christine.

Scoogs
06-11-2013, 07:31 PM
I noticed that subie09lega posted this over on the CD message boards.

I sent PS an email and got this reply:

Thank you for getting in touch. We had a list of titles (CHRISTINE included) at our printers but unfortunately they have had financial difficulties and have had to close down for the time being. All the files have now been moved over to another printers and at the moment we are not sure how quickly things are going to move.
Keep checking our free weekly newsletter for updates but at least we know that things are starting to move again.
Best wishes

mikeC
06-12-2013, 05:42 AM

What is this an illustration for?

Bev Vincent
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Pet Sematary. Here's what they're showing as a cover image, although I'm not sure it's final:

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/ekmps/shops/appleworld/images/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p[ekm]214x300[ekm].jpg

mikeC
06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Wow, I do not remember that from the book. Wish they would put it out on audio.

mae
06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
That picture charged. It used to be different. I guess the link stayed the same but the picture changed.

WeDealInLead
06-12-2013, 07:21 AM
I think so too. I actually made a post earlier in the morning that I deleted about the picture. I'm pretty sure that the big one posted above is supposed to be a cover for a collection by some other author.

Rainet
06-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Pet Sematary. Here's what they're showing as a cover image, although I'm not sure it's final:

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/ekmps/shops/appleworld/images/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p[ekm]214x300[ekm].jpg

I hope it's not final. It's looks rather bland to me.

mae
06-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Most small press editions often have sub-par covers (this includes the hallowed Grant).

mikeC
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
I think most small press have good artwork but the typography is usually not up to the level of the artwork or the subject matter. I think most of them should just have the title on the spline and leave the cover with just artwork.

becca69
06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
I agree. I am a graphic designer by trade and I wish there was more effort put into incorporating fonts into the DJ design. It seems that lately small presses are using very 90s grunge looking fonts that are probably available online for free download.

Patrick
06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I think small press publishers should focus group all creative decisions first via the TDT.org messageboard.

Brian James Freeman
06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree. I am a graphic designer by trade and I wish there was more effort put into incorporating fonts into the DJ design. It seems that lately small presses are using very 90s grunge looking fonts that are probably available online for free download.

Can you post some of your book cover designs for comparison?

Brian

Randall Flagg
06-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Brian
Called to the carpet...

Brian James Freeman
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Brian
Called to the carpet...

Maybe interested in a freelancer? :)

Brian

P.S. No, seriously, I've hired people I've met on message boards before. Proofreaders and artists mostly, but if I have a job that needs done, I don't care where I find the person if they can do it well!

Brian James Freeman
06-12-2013, 05:44 PM
That picture charged. It used to be different.

That sounds like a Stephen King story... ;)

Brian

mikeC
06-13-2013, 06:26 AM

and an over abundant use of glows and drop shadows.

becca69
06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
That picture charged. It used to be different.

That sounds like a Stephen King story... ;)

Brian

LOL I just reread that story last night ;)

becca69
06-13-2013, 07:06 AM

Brian

I haven't designed any book covers for years so I don't have anything to show you. I mainly do work for banks, credit unions, law firms, medical companies, etc. I design a lot of logos as well. I've worked as a graphic designer for 22 years since I graduated college with a major in G.D. and in Fine Art (minor in advertising), so it's just my opinion on the fonts and layouts. I do love the art but it seems like the fonts are just an after thought sometimes (like Pet Sematary above).

becca69
06-13-2013, 07:16 AM

Brian
Called to the carpet...

Maybe interested in a freelancer? :)

Brian

P.S. No, seriously, I've hired people I've met on message boards before. Proofreaders and artists mostly, but if I have a job that needs done, I don't care where I find the person if they can do it well!

I totally missed this post. I can send you a pdf of some of my work if you like?

And here are some nice cover designs:
http://designobserver.com/50Books50Covers/2011covers.html

Randall Flagg
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Those are gorgeous covers, but did you contribute to any of them?

barlow
06-13-2013, 12:23 PM

I see this picture as the jacket cover on the site. It's ok, but i hope another piece of artwork makes it through. Is this the definite cover or just a mock up until the cover is finalized? Can't wait for this. I already ordered Christine.

I like this image, I think it looks pretty cool. However I read Pet Sematary for the third time about a year ago, so I would say it is somewhat fresh for me. I am trying to figure out what this image is supposed to be? It looks like a thinny from the Dark Tower, but I have no idea what it would be in Pet Sematary!

Ken

Robert Fulman
06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm working on the cover for my son's first book (The Great Big Googinheimer). Ironically enough, given the criticism of Gabe Rodriguez "South Park" cover for The Shining, I work almost exclusively in paper cutting.

barlow
06-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I noticed the discusion about jacket design. A lot of good jacket art is ruined when the wrong font is used, I think small presses should be more creative in encororating the authors name or the title of the book into the image that the artist has created for the cover! I suggested on the thread for The Shining limited edition when there were a lot of complaints about the fonts used there. That doing something like having King's name tilted so it was level with the floor, then have it either blending into the floor itself or into the lower extremities of the ghosts that are in the foreground would look a lot better than just slapping his name on the cover in big blue letters. I saw where Brian posted all the various mock ups for the Full Dark No Stars, and thought it very informative everyone who comments about jacket layouts should check it out.

Ken

becca69
06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Those are gorgeous covers, but did you contribute to any of them?

No, just some examples of good design. My stuff is mostly advertising/marketing/identities for businesses. I've worked for The Orlando Magic, Sea Ray boats, major pharmaceutical companies, and for the last 10 years, small businesses. And I did win a Silver Addy back in the 90s ;)

Scoogs
06-13-2013, 03:00 PM

I like this image, I think it looks pretty cool. However I read Pet Sematary for the third time about a year ago, so I would say it is somewhat fresh for me. I am trying to figure out what this image is supposed to be? It looks like a thinny from the Dark Tower, but I have no idea what it would be in Pet Sematary!

Ken

The image in that link changed and is now showing artwork from a different book.

subie09lega
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I completely agree with mikeC's comment, the type sometimes ruins the art, Pet Sematary included. It looks like they took a nice painting and threw on some vinyl lettering and some leftover scrap pieces.
The cover for Christine is better but they should swap the locations of the title and King's name. Then remove the mention of the Intro and Afterword or at least move it to the bottom. I think having them right there in the middle clutters the cover. Besides, these are limited editions and people probably aren't buying them because of the people who wrote these additions so why make them so prominent?

I think most small press have good artwork but the typography is usually not up to the level of the artwork or the subject matter. I think most of them should just have the title on the spline and leave the cover with just artwork.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I totally missed this post. I can send you a pdf of some of my work if you like?

Absolutely, would love to see it! My email address is in my signature. Thanks!

Brian

Robert Fulman
06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
(In case anyone thought I was kidding, here is my first pass at a cover for my son's book, "The Great Big Googinheimer!" He's 11 and wrote and illustrated the book; I am converting his pencil-sketched cover art into a colorful masterpiece using construction paper and a scanner.)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/4/8ly.jpg

becca69
06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
That's great!

Patrick
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Nice job, Robert Fulman and Robert Fulman's kid!

biomieg
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I really like that, Mike!

RIC #520
07-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Has anyone received the Christine - 30th Anniversary Edition? I should have been released in April... right?

The Library Policeman
07-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Has anyone received the Christine - 30th Anniversary Edition? I should have been released in April... right?

The printer went out of business I think so PS Publishing had to switch printers hence the delay.

subie09lega
07-06-2013, 08:24 AM

It was delayed. This is what I received from the publisher and haven't seen anything since:

Thank you for getting in touch. We had a list of titles (CHRISTINE included) at our printers but unfortunately they have had financial difficulties and have had to close down for the time being. All the files have now been moved over to another printers and at the moment we are not sure how quickly things are going to move.
Keep checking our free weekly newsletter for updates but at least we know that things are starting to move again.
Best wishes

Bev Vincent
07-22-2013, 08:04 AM
I saw several of Jill Bauman's prints for Christine at NECon last weekend -- they look great. By an interesting coincidence, Steven Gervais had the artwork panel on the other side of hers, and he had some cool originals from his work on Christine, but they weren't for sale.

carlosdetweiller
07-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I saw several of Jill Bauman's prints for Christine at NECon last weekend -- they look great. By an interesting coincidence, Steven Gervais had the artwork panel on the other side of hers, and he had some cool originals from his work on Christine, but they weren't for sale.

Are you sure that Steve Gervais was showing original art from Christine? I thought I had them all. At least all that were published in the Grant edition.

Bev Vincent
07-22-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure these were things that were included in the book. They LOOKED original -- they were almost photographic. I don't have the LE of Christine, so I'm not all that familiar with the interior art. One of them was of Darnell's garage. I tried an image search, but I couldn't find anything that looked like them. I figured they were original because they were marked "not for sale."

carlosdetweiller
07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure these were things that were included in the book. They LOOKED original -- they were almost photographic. I don't have the LE of Christine, so I'm not all that familiar with the interior art. One of them was of Darnell's garage. I tried an image search, but I couldn't find anything that looked like them. I figured they were original because they were marked "not for sale."

Interesting. I may call Steve and see what they were. I think I still have his number. I think there was a very limited series of prints done of the artwork from the Grant edition, but I have never seen any of the prints for sale. "Darnell's Garage" was the last of the originals that I bought from Steve. I didn't think I would get it. He had given it as a gift to his mother-in-law years before. I had to make a handsome offer to finally get it, but it is my favorite of the pencil drawings. Do you remember it looking like this:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/darnellsgarage_zpsaebcb4e1.jpg

Bev Vincent
07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
It looked something like that, but it *seemed* glossier. Might be just my impression, though.

Tito_Villa
07-22-2013, 01:12 PM
That's great, I've never seen any of them before!

Bev Vincent
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Apparently I am! This package showed up at my door today. Inside: two boxes full of signature sheets. They're already signed by Ramsey Campbell.

http://www.bevvincent.com/images/ps-pub.jpg

Dan
07-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Apparently I am! This package showed up at my door today. Inside: two boxes full of signature sheets. They're already signed by Ramsey Campbell.

Your signing both Christine & Pet Semetary? Did you write an intro? I really enjoy reading your reviews and summaries of his works, such as the chapbooks from CD and The Road to the Dark Tower.

Brian James Freeman
07-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Am I the only person who expects to find something terrible inside the Royal Mail bags when they show up without warning?

Brian

The Library Policeman
07-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Stick a dedication in mine, Bev. :P

The Library Policeman
07-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Am I the only person who expects to find something terrible inside the Royal Mail bags when they show up without warning?

Brian

A set of false teeth and some tea bags? :P

Bev Vincent
07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
No, I'm just signing Pet Sematary, for which I wrote the afterword (Ramsey Campbell did the forward). Michael Marshall Smith and Rich Chizmar did the forward/afterword for Christine.

Dan
07-27-2013, 03:51 PM
No, I'm just signing Pet Sematary, for which I wrote the afterword (Ramsey Campbell did the forward). Michael Marshall Smith and Rich Chizmar did the forward/afterword for Christine.

Great, thanks!

Bev Vincent
07-27-2013, 04:36 PM
A set of false teeth and some tea bags? :P

I wouldn't complain about tea bags.

Bev Vincent
07-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Brian

I was quite surprised to find it lurking on the porch. Delighted, in fact.

dnemec
07-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Brian

I was quite surprised to find it lurking on the porch. Delighted, in fact.

Doesn't your hand start to cramp just looking at that bag, Bev?!

Bev Vincent
07-28-2013, 06:33 AM
I don't mind signing huge batches. I just work on them until I forget how to write, and then I go off and do something else for a while!

herbertwest
08-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Covers are now on the pages of the website :

http://subterraneanpress.com/images/sized/uploads/Christine_by_Stephen_King-200x272.jpg http://subterraneanpress.com/images/sized/uploads/Pet_Sematary_by_Stephen_King-200x281.jpg

>>> http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/christine_preorder
>>> http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/pet_sematary

biomieg
08-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Not my cup of tea, sorry. Two great stories (and I'm sure the new intros and afterwords are interesting!) but these lackluster covers with their awful fonts... sorry! I'm very glad I did not order these and I'm not planning to, either.

Br!an
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Not my cup of tea, sorry. Two great stories (and I'm sure the new intros and afterwords are interesting!) but these lackluster covers with their awful fonts... sorry! I'm very glad I did not order these and I'm not planning to, either.

Cosign!

becca69
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I thought they said those covers were placeholders?? I guess Sub Press sold out of their new allotment pretty quickly this morning.

mae
08-01-2013, 09:36 AM
I wonder how hard it really is to hire a good art designer. Sorry but those look very amateurish.

Scoogs
08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I have nothing against the images, they are nice enough, but the typography is lacking.

I'm still looking forward to these editions though, I think everything else will make them worth adding.

Randall Flagg
08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I am fine with the Christine. It reminds me of an automobile emblem, but they might have considered a worn and a new font resembling this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUBWrCpsL72Z02vPUbgvjEgXUujt644 LvMPx5d1VamqsRG_4YH6g

Tito_Villa
08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah I like Christine, Pet Sematary not so much

Rainet
08-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I didn't bother with Pet Sematary. But I did order Christine. I think the cover is fantastic regardless of the font. And let's face it, it's not too hard to beat the original 1st edtion cover of Christine.
Pet Sematary is another story though.

mae
08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I love the first edition cover of Christine. And for that matter Pet Sematary.

Merlin1958
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't mind signing huge batches. I just work on them until I forget how to write, and then I go off and do something else for a while!

That's admirable. I was a signator on Wall Street and for my own company for many, many years. I finally had a stamp made cause my signature deteriorated so much!!! I don't know how you guys do it!!!

Of course the "stamp" remained in my supervision or, the safe, at all times!!!

Tommy
08-01-2013, 11:17 PM
The Pet Sematary cover has prevented me from ordering it several times, on one hand, it is the first limited edition of PS which was long overdue but on the other hand, butt-ugliness, King collectors are more than obliging when it comes to buying King Limiteds so they really have to work overtime to make something this unattractive, sheesh! I will probably wind up ordering it anyway

biomieg
08-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I used to collect all the 'gift' editions but nowadays I only buy them when they appeal to me in terms of artwork, production values or the addition of previously unpublished material written by King. For me, a low/limited print run alone does not justify the purchase of a book (unless it's signed by King, and even then there are only a couple editions I really like, but that's another topic).

Stockerlone
08-02-2013, 01:24 AM

Christine - COVER ART & ENDPAPERS Tomislav Tikulin - NICE
Pet Sematary - COVER ART David Gentry - Not so nice

Bad Penny
08-02-2013, 01:44 AM

Christine - COVER ART & ENDPAPERS Tomislav Tikulin - NICE
Pet Sematary - COVER ART David Gentry - Not so nice

I pre-ordered these two back in February - The Jimmy Dean Christine cover art, I can live with ... The Pet Sematary is ... unusual ... godawful ... ><

swintek
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I love the first edition cover of Christine. And for that matter Pet Sematary.

This. Yes, these new covers are not an improvement on the originals. Fonts don't usually kill book covers for me (I guess because most are at least competently executed). These really do stand out as...just bad. Especially Pet Sematary- the whole point of the intentional misspelling in the title is that is how a child would spell it, and the original font reflected this concept perfectly. They could've/should've went with the idea.

subie09lega
08-02-2013, 08:03 AM
I like the cover ART of Pet Sematary but it looks more like an interior piece than a cover piece. But they could still use it if they had just incorporated the title into the entrance to the cemetery rather than making it look like they just threw pieces of vinyl lettering on it and then added some 'shadows' to make it look like it's floating. The fonts are lame and ruin the image.
Christine is cluttered with all the names of the contributors. Banish those to the back cover.

David Gentry
08-08-2013, 04:43 AM
Hi all. I've had a read through this thread and it looks like you are all disappointed with the artwork I created for the cover to Pet Sematary. I thought you might be interested a little in why I chose the illustration in question as well as try to answer any questions if I can. This post is in no way defending my, or PS, decisions. I simply thought it might enhance the discussion, and in a purely selfish way, hoped to discuss the subject with fans and collectors of Steven's work.
The artwork for the cover that you have seen is not the final piece. It's a placeholder. (PS needed an illustration to send out to distributors to advertise the edition until final artwork was completed.) although I would add that the final piece is similar in feel and location, so if you hate the placeholder, don't expect me to win you over with an entirely different idea for the cover! ;)
I, unfortunately, cannot speak for the overall design or mastheads. I have nothing to do with those areas after handing in the finished pieces. In the past, PS have done a great job selecting complimenting designs and fonts etc. the two previous deluxe editions I've completed for them have looked amazing, so I have my fingers crossed they will do the same here. I haven't seen the design or any proofs though, so simply cannot help there. Sorry.
One thing to bear in mind with this edition is that it is slipcased with additional artwork. The cover is able to be less in your face and more a piece of a puzzle. I've tried to create an overall 'story' linking each of my pieces and working far better as a set as opposed to on their own. I've tried to compliment the story itself without giving away anything to the first time reader. I've actually put a lot of thought as to which illustration is used and where so, if the overall feel of the art direction fails visually, it is at my feet! I treated the package as a special one and hope I've nailed it - again, you guys know your stuff so you'll be able to tell me how I did.
I'm not sure how much of my work is actually included in the edition. Mark Geyer has completed interior ink pieces. I'm really excited to see what he chose to illustrate. Personally I have completed the slipcase, a wraparound cover and two endpapers which will definitely be included, as well as four interior pieces that I produced to enhance the interior and follow through the overall feel of the work into the book itself which I'm really hoping is included. I cannot say though.
I tried something a little different and took the risk with a more subtle cover that didn't include elements like Church the cat. He takes centre stage in other pieces! ;)

I think I'm waffling. Sorry. I'm incredibly proud of the work I've done for this edition. I hope those of you who end up with it in your hands are won over and love how I approached the theme as a package. If you are still disappointed then blame me! :)

Tito_Villa
08-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks for your thoughts David and welcome to the site!

SystemCrashOverRide
08-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi all. I've had a read through this thread and it looks like you are all disappointed with the artwork I created for the cover to Pet Sematary. I thought you might be interested a little in why I chose the illustration in question as well as try to answer any questions if I can. This post is in no way defending my, or PS, decisions. I simply thought it might enhance the discussion, and in a purely selfish way, hoped to discuss the subject with fans and collectors of Steven's work.
The artwork for the cover that you have seen is not the final piece. It's a placeholder. (PS needed an illustration to send out to distributors to advertise the edition until final artwork was completed.) although I would add that the final piece is similar in feel and location, so if you hate the placeholder, don't expect me to win you over with an entirely different idea for the cover! ;)
I, unfortunately, cannot speak for the overall design or mastheads. I have nothing to do with those areas after handing in the finished pieces. In the past, PS have done a great job selecting complimenting designs and fonts etc. the two previous deluxe editions I've completed for them have looked amazing, so I have my fingers crossed they will do the same here. I haven't seen the design or any proofs though, so simply cannot help there. Sorry.
One thing to bear in mind with this edition is that it is slipcased with additional artwork. The cover is able to be less in your face and more a piece of a puzzle. I've tried to create an overall 'story' linking each of my pieces and working far better as a set as opposed to on their own. I've tried to compliment the story itself without giving away anything to the first time reader. I've actually put a lot of thought as to which illustration is used and where so, if the overall feel of the art direction fails visually, it is at my feet! I treated the package as a special one and hope I've nailed it - again, you guys know your stuff so you'll be able to tell me how I did.
I'm not sure how much of my work is actually included in the edition. Mark Geyer has completed interior ink pieces. I'm really excited to see what he chose to illustrate. Personally I have completed the slipcase, a wraparound cover and two endpapers which will definitely be included, as well as four interior pieces that I produced to enhance the interior and follow through the overall feel of the work into the book itself which I'm really hoping is included. I cannot say though.
I tried something a little different and took the risk with a more subtle cover that didn't include elements like Church the cat. He takes centre stage in other pieces! ;)

I think I'm waffling. Sorry. I'm incredibly proud of the work I've done for this edition. I hope those of you who end up with it in your hands are won over and love how I approached the theme as a package. If you are still disappointed then blame me! :)

This is a VERY interesting development, always good to hear it directly from the source. I look forward to seeing the finished product as opposed to the "place holder" artwork.

mae
08-08-2013, 05:40 AM
I don't think my own personal qualms with the artwork have much to do with the art itself but the overall design, including fonts and their placement.

Rainet
08-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Very much looking forward to seeing the final artwork. Welcome aboard!

subie09lega
08-08-2013, 06:02 AM
I don't think my own personal qualms with the artwork have much to do with the art itself but the overall design, including fonts and their placement.

Same here. I like the painting, but the font they used on the placeholder is so overbearing it completely detracts from what should be the point of focus.

becca69
08-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Yes, it's definitely the fonts!

Ari_Racing
08-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Welcome aboard and thank you for your insights! Can't wait to see the final piece! :)

Ricky
08-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I really like that Christine cover.

Scoogs
08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the forums David and thanks for giving us your thoughts.
I think the majority of us will agree that your illustration is fine. As Becca said, it's really the font selection that we don't love.

I hope you are correct that they will pull it all together in the final piece.

Randall Flagg
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I think it is very admirable for Mr. Gentry to show up here and discuss his artwork for this book.
Welcome to the site.

Rainet
08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
You know that old saying.
Never judge a book by it's cover. But i really really do. But ONLY because, i already own all the regular editions. So now, it's comes down to limited editions, which should always be something special. So the artowrk matters greatly. I can't wait to see the final piece David. I'm sure it will be great. And even, if it's not to my liking. You earned big brownie points for caring and posting here.

The Library Policeman
08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I think it is very admirable for Mr. Gentry to show up here and discuss his artwork for this book.
Welcome to the site.

Yes, very much so.

Jimimck
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/styles/grayfolio/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Randall Flagg http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/styles/grayfolio/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=795628#post795628)
Welcome to the site.

Yes, very much so.

+1

Its always great to have people involved in bringing us great King collectables actively posting here and letting us in on insider information.

Thanks David.

David Gentry
08-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! Very kind of you.
The original post may have come across a bit more 'car salesman' than planned! Please take it simply as my enthusiasm for the subject, as intended, not as it may have sounded!

jhanic
08-09-2013, 07:43 AM
David, if you're not enthusiastic about your work, how can you expect us to be? You did a great job.

John

mistercrowley
08-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Font on Pet Cemetery is bad but I like the art

Patrick
08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Still getting caught up on threads after being away...

David, welcome to TDT.org and to Calvin's Corner. We always love to hear directly from artists, authors, publishers, and others involved in creating the products that ultimately line our bookshelves. We value your input and we certainly understand and appreciate your enthusiasm. I have these books on preorder and PET SEMETARY is a personal favorite. I look forward to holding it in my hands and admiring the culmination of your work firsthand.

- Patrick

David Gentry
08-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who offered kind words and a warm welcome.
I'm hoping you'll all be happy with the end product. As much as it is only the artwork itself that I had a hand in, I'd be really disappointed if the overall art direction or final result didn't excite people.
Should PS choose to release any further Steven King titles in this format and commission me as the artist (fairly unlikely. Unless asked to they tend to opt for a different artist for each title) I'll suggest fonts and masthead styles, plus overall design both interior and exterior to try to create the books to their absolute best, art wise.

Course, that's why I'm not a designer! If PS really let me off my leash, Pet Sematary would have been utterly beautiful interior and out, but incredibly expensive, if not far too expensive to even release! ;)

Scoogs
08-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Today's newsletter mentions that they are working on a 40th anniversary edition of Carrie for 2014.
They don't say if it is part of this series, or a regular King S/L. Pete only mentions that Glenn Chadbourne is working on artwork for it (because we don't already have more than enough books illustrated by him).

Merlin1958
08-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Today's newsletter mentions that they are working on a 40th anniversary edition of Carrie for 2014.
They don't say if it is part of this series, or a regular King S/L. Pete only mentions that Glenn Chadbourne is working on artwork for it (because we don't already have more than enough books illustrated by him).

Hey, Glenn' has to eat too!! LOL

herbertwest
08-25-2013, 03:49 AM

Weird, I didnt get that newsletter (?)

Scoogs
08-25-2013, 08:24 AM

It was just the standard weekly PS newsletter that is usually sent out on Friday.

There are lots more things coming your way, not least Glenn Chadbourne’s remarkable artwork for our 40th Anniversary edition of Stephen King’s Carrie: I thought of letting you take a peek but then thought we should wait and clear the decks of 2013 titles before we look too deeply into the smorgasbord that is PS’s 2014. You’ll just have to be patient. Again!

They've already announced Skeleton Crew and Thinner for 2014, so assuming Carrie is part of that series and not a full blown S/L, we'll get at least three of them next year.

jhanic
08-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Unless they are signed limiteds, I'm not really interested in any of them. I don't plan on getting any of the "Anniversary" publications unless I'm able to get them at a reasonable price off eBay or ABE.

John

dnemec
08-25-2013, 02:52 PM

We are talking about PS Publishing's newsletter, right? I got one on Friday, but it did not mention anything about King. Really weird...

jhanic
08-25-2013, 03:05 PM
There are lots more things coming your way, not least Glenn Chadbourne’s remarkable artwork for our 40th Anniversary edition of Stephen King’s Carrie: I thought of letting you take a peek but then thought we should wait and clear the decks of 2013 titles before we look too deeply into the smorgasbord that is PS’s 2014. You’ll just have to be patient. Again!

See you next week. Look after each other . . . and happy reading.

John

Scoogs
08-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Unless they are signed limiteds, I'm not really interested in any of them. I don't plan on getting any of the "Anniversary" publications unless I'm able to get them at a reasonable price off eBay or ABE.

John

I think I'm mainly interested in them because several of these will be books that have not previously had any sort of limited edition.
Sure they aren't first editions, but I like that fact that they are at least artist/gift editions.

Brian Freeman mentioned King turning down Carrie S/Ls many times in the past, so this may be the only limited version we ever get. The challenge then will be getting to one of King's appearances to get it signed.

herbertwest
08-26-2013, 04:20 AM

It was just the standard weekly PS newsletter that is usually sent out on Friday.

They've already announced Skeleton Crew and Thinner for 2014, so assuming Carrie is part of that series and not a full blown S/L, we'll get at least three of them next year.

Looks like it will be an expensive year then :p
>>> http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17584-2013-The-Year-of-Stephen-King-Breaking-Your-Pocketbook

Bad Penny
08-29-2013, 10:58 PM

I've been fortunate enough to see some of Glenn's art for this edition of Carrie, and I have to say (without prejudice) that the pieces that I've seen are a real departure for him (in a wholly good way) :smile:

Scoogs
08-30-2013, 09:24 AM

I've been fortunate enough to see some of Glenn's art for this edition of Carrie, and I have to say (without prejudice) that the pieces that I've seen are a real departure for him (in a wholly good way) :smile:

I'm glad to hear that he's changing things up for this one. I'm admittedly not his biggest fan, but still look forward to seeing what direction he takes things in.

Bad Penny
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM

I'm glad to hear that he's changing things up for this one. I'm admittedly not his biggest fan, but still look forward to seeing what direction he takes things in.

This piece is an example of ideas that Glenn has in terms of artwork for the 40th anniversary edition of Carrie - not a rat or a skeleton to be seen :smile:

You'll have to forgive the quality as it's only a rough scan.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie.jpg

Jimimck
08-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I like it.

Tito_Villa
08-31-2013, 12:22 AM
I really like that!

Stockerlone
08-31-2013, 01:38 AM
NICE !!!

Merlin1958
08-31-2013, 02:38 PM

This piece is an example of ideas that Glenn has in terms of artwork for the 40th anniversary edition of Carrie - not a rat or a skeleton to be seen :smile:

You'll have to forgive the quality as it's only a rough scan.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie.jpg

Oh, I like it!!! I think the whole "Rat" thing took on a life of it's own with regard to the FD/NS editions (which culminated with the HF "Ultimate Rat" auction). Not unlike the whole TMSG phenomena of '11/12!!!! They're an "Internet thang (and perhaps a TDT.Org)!!! LOL LOL LOL

herbertwest
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
From the newsletter :

We're still happy to take your order for PS Publishing's Anniversary Editions of Christine and Pet Sematary. The former book is already done, while PS waits for the slipcases before shipping commences. Pet Sematary is slated to follow closely thereafter. We're offering matched numbers of the two books, and of further Stephen King Anniversary Editions that PS has lined up for next year. (We'll post more news on the latter as soon as we're given permission.)

The Library Policeman
09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
According to todays newsletter from PS Publishing the anniversary edition of Christine will be shipping middle of next week.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Remaindered copies will be available for 1/3 issued price after 4 weeks.

herbertwest
09-21-2013, 01:01 AM
We didnt really hear any promo for it, did we?
How many copies of the book? I guess that it's not sold out yet

Bev Vincent
09-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Pete Crowther reports that "Pet Sematary is about to hit the printers (poor souls!). This will probably be out around the same time as Christine which—with the new full-colour slipcases and full colour print throughout—has been a bit of a baptism of fire for all of us."

Jimimck
09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm keen on picking these editions up at some point, but am hoping they will be cheaper then issue price after their release.

Merlin1958
09-27-2013, 05:48 PM
I suppose we are in for a parade of these type editions for years to come, as the respective "Anniversaries" come up. Not really sure how I feel about this trend, but man am I glad I have the 1/1's!!! BTW, it is not so much that they are re-printing them, but that they are, apparently, just going to do this type thing for EVERY King title. I buy LOTR anniversary editions from time to time, but it is, argumentatively, one of the top ten novels of all time. I don't think I would consider every King title a member of the "Top Ten" list even though I am a huge fan. Anyone know what I mean?

Just musing I suppose.

thegunslinger41
09-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I totally agree merlin. The only thing that would tempt me to purchase some of anniversary editions would be a miniscule print run....500 print run tops. Otherwise, it truely becomes just another snazzy reprint.

Bev Vincent
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/ekmps/shops/appleworld/images/pet-sematary-30th-anniversary-edition-by-stephen-king-1713-p.jpg

namelessnpoor
10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
I had originally ordered these, but after thinking about it decided to cancel them. Could use that $200 for something better. Plus i have a feeling that these will be available much cheaper later on, don't see them really ever having any real value. All of them bought will be pretty much unread and stored on a shelf, finding one in great condition later on will be easy.
Plus with them announcing all these other anniversary editions coming out, they are nothing special.

Tommy
10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
God why the crap font? why?? It could be sooo much better with a different font

bdwyer19
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM

I completely agree. Very ugly!

Tommy
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM

I completely agree. Very ugly!

The only way I can accept that font is by believing it was once a good font but then died and was buried in the Font Sematary and then resurrected as that :eek:

carlosdetweiller
10-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Mark Geyer has done six original illustrations for this book (Pet Sematary). I have seen one of them and it is quite good. I am looking forward to seeing the rest when the book is published next month.