PDA

View Full Version : Publishing/Editing Question

Shannon
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Just wanted to throw out a question ...

Let's say you're an American-based publisher that is editing a short story anthology collection in which one or more of your authors are British. Do you leave in the differently spelled words (favourite, colour, etc) or do you consider them to be incorrect? Discuss.

MY vote is that you leave in the words ... it's a story written by a British author, in HIS words ... The story might or might be about British people and/or British places, which makes the case even stronger.

Joe315
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I would leave it as written but maybe with certain words (i.e. mobile vs cell phone, or lift vs elevator) keep or modify based on the setting of the story. That's probably too complex but at the very least leave them as written. I feel that most people can handle a slightly different lexicon and spellings.

ChristineB
01-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I say leave the story as written.

Maybe include origin of author in the by line?

Ben Staad
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Just wanted to throw out a question ...

Let's say you're an American-based publisher that is editing a short story anthology collection in which one or more of your authors are British. Do you leave in the differently spelled words (favourite, colour, etc) or do you consider them to be incorrect? Discuss.

MY vote is that you leave in the words ... it's a story written by a British author, in HIS words ... The story might or might be about British people and/or British places, which makes the case even stronger.

I would leave it as is. It's the authors voice we are hearing set in the world the author wishes us to see. Once the reader is into the story he/she should easily pick up the slight word usage changes.

If this word usage is being done specifically for the locale of the story than I would certainly keep it.

Dan
01-04-2013, 04:47 AM
I would write, "should be read in a British accent" at the beginning of the story.

Bev Vincent
01-04-2013, 06:47 AM
I'd recommend asking a professional editor -- perhaps Brian Freeman from CD could tell you what they do, as they often have British authors in their anthologies.

When I write for a Canadian market, I use Canadian spellings. When I write for an American market, I use American. I switch Word dictionaries in the documents to make sure I remain consistent.

TwistedNadine
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
As a Reader I would prefer to read it as it was originally written. Nothing wrong with learning how the English misspell their words.

Tito_Villa
01-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Ha ha ha

Ricky
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I'd leave the original wording as well. Like some other posters said, it's the author's words.

Shannon
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
OK, so we're all pretty much on the same page with letting the British words stay. Got it, thanks! :)

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Leave it "as is". Adds to the character of the overall story!!!

I just had to get my 2 cents in!!! LOL

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I prefer American spelling 100%. I don't know why, but British spellings always bug me. This is not meant as an affront to the British people, some of who I consider my biggest friends, especially through this site, just to their spelling. If I read the word 'colour' in a book or a letter I ALWAYS pronounce it 'cu-lure' in my mind, I can't help it. The word theatre is always pronounced 'the-a-tree' in my head. Also, there is no 'u' in glamor, in case you wanted to know.

Yes - I know I need help.

EDIT - It's amazing I was even able to respond here, my PC was fixed and it STILL won't work right.

Cook
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Why not ask each author what "they" want?

Shannon
01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Nah, not important.

LOL, just kidding. They wrote it in "British", and we're gonna keep it that way, so no worries. Just wanted to see what everyone thought.