PDA

View Full Version : Movies everyone else has seen except you

Iwritecode
12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
A lot of these I’ve seen bits and pieces of but I’ve never actually sat down and watched the entire movie from start to finish. Some are by choice simply because they don’t look interesting to me. Others I’ve just never gotten around to for one reason or another.

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Any of the Predator movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski
Most of the Harry Potter movies (I think I saw the first one)

Jean
12-04-2012, 01:39 PM
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca

what the fuck are you waiting for?

Emily
12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Jurassic Park

How
is
this
POSSIBLE?

DoctorDodge
12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Fight Club (the whole of it, anyway)
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Scarface

Jean
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Jurassic Park

How
is
this
POSSIBLE?

both possible and advisable

: runs and hides :

The Big Lebowski
Fargo

ditto

DoctorDodge
12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
How
is
this
POSSIBLE?

Welcome to my world, Emily.

http://i40.tinypic.com/c2s6c.jpg

fernandito
12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Godfather Trilogy

These are films that you simply HAVE to have under your belt.

DoctorDodge
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I've yet to see Gone with the Wind actually, Fernando. I'm guessing it's as good as they say, then?

Odetta
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Jean
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I've yet to see Gone with the Wind actually, Fernando. I'm guessing it's as good as they say, then?No, not really.

Jean
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
: nods :

I remembered there was a film everyone has seen except us :rose:

alkanto
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
Blade Runner

Those are the ones that stick out to the most to me

fernandito
12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I've yet to see Gone with the Wind actually, Fernando. I'm guessing it's as good as they say, then?

Not necessarily, but I think that it (and the others I quoted) are classics that need to be experienced at least once, regardless of your reception afterward.

Bethany
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I've yet to see Gone with the Wind actually, Fernando. I'm guessing it's as good as they say, then?No, not really.

Hi, my name is Bethany and even though I am a Southern Belle through and through, I've never seen or read GWTW.

I don't think there's enough bandwidth for me to list all the movies I have not seen.

Iwritecode
12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca

what the fuck are you waiting for?

IAWF was actually on TV the other day. I watched a few minutes of it but it just didn't hold my interest.

The only thing I know about Casablanca are a couple of the famous quotes. Even though one is a famous mis-quote. I don't even know what the plot of the movie is.

fernandito
12-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Hi, my name is Bethany and even though I am a Southern Belle through and through, I've never seen or read GWTW.

I don't think there's enough bandwidth for me to list all the movies I have not seen.

The server would implode.

Bethany
12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
EFF YOU, FERNY! I have at least seen T2 :)

Emily
12-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Hey, I haven't seen The Shining woooo, freak out about it.

Also, Blade Runner. Or any of the Mission Impossible movies (do people watch those?).

Ricky
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't seen these: :lol:

Star Wars
The Godfather
It's a Wonderful Life (especially now that it's the Christmas season)

Emily
12-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't seen these: :lol:

Star Wars
The Godfather

You just made me cry with this.

alkanto
12-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh, Ricky, thanks for reminding me! I have also never seen any Godfather movies...:ninja:

Ricky
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Sorry (but not really)!

...or A Nightmare On Elm Street.

fernandito
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
OH MY GAN

Still Servant
12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
A lot of these I’ve seen bits and pieces of but I’ve never actually sat down and watched the entire movie from start to finish. Some are by choice simply because they don’t look interesting to me. Others I’ve just never gotten around to for one reason or another.

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

You have some great movie watching in your future, I envy you. Not knowing your taste, I can't say for sure which movies you are more inclined to like. I would say start with Jurassic Park. It's a pretty good crowd-pleaser. I noticed some Tarantino films on your list. I would say start with Reservoir Dogs. If you like that, move on to his other films. Some people either love or hate him.

I'm a die hard Big Lebowski fan, but it almost needs to be watched twice. The first time I watched it I didn't totally "get" it, I came back to it a year after my original viewing and I fell in love with it. I now own 3 Big Lebowski T-shirts.

I noticed some classic sci-fi franchises there. I would start with Alien. The first two are great then they fall apart. The first Predator is really good, but the second is just okay. Blade Runner is very different and I'm not sure if you will like that or not. Also, if you haven't seen those, it makes me wonder if you've seen The Terminator franchise. The first two are must sees. Goodfellas and Godfather are the staples of the mob genre.

This is a great thread. Even though I watch a ton of movies per year, there are still some classic films that I have yet to watch. I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment. Same goes for Chinatown.

I too have never seen the Harry Potter series. I'm hoping to read the books first, just hasn't happened yet. Damn you George R.R. Martin.

DoctorDodge
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm a die hard Big Lebowski fan, but it almost needs to be watched twice. The first time I watched it I didn't totally "get" it, I came back to it a year after my original viewing and I fell in love with it. I now own 3 Big Lebowski T-shirts.

I was exactly the same with Withnail & I, I really wasn't too sure about it at first. 2nd time, I got it, and then with multiple viewings, it's become my all-time favourite film. Sounds like Big Lebowski will be just my kind of film, then.

fernandito
12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
...I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment.

That film is the very definition of time commitment. I still remember the first time I watched it a few years ago, when the credits rolled I felt like Roland at the end of the Gunslinger, as if I had magically aged ten years :lol:

It's an amazing film though that deserves it's status as one of the all time greats. The cinematography especially is just so freakin'... amazing.

I was exactly the same with Withnail & I, I really wasn't too sure about it at first. 2nd time, I got it, and then with multiple viewings, it's become my all-time favourite film. Sounds like Big Lebowski will be just my kind of film, then.

I can definitely see you liking, possibly even loving The Big Lebowski. Let me know when you manage to check it out.

Odetta
12-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Let us keep it that way, Captain! :wub:

Odetta
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Please, people... Go and watch The Godfather (pt. 1 and 2 for certain) and Goodfellas.

I'm going to go "get the papers get the papers" and see when they are playing next! ;)

pathoftheturtle
12-04-2012, 07:07 PM

I can definitely see you liking, possibly even loving The Big Lebowski. Let me know when you manage to check it out.Me, too: Should be cross-posted to Personalized Film Recommendations (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13636-Personalized-Film-Recommendations) for James.

Jurassic Park

How
is
this
POSSIBLE?

both possible and advisable

: runs and hides :

The Big Lebowski
Fargo

dittoNot so Scarface, or you just didn't want to even dignify that one with response? ;)

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

You have some great movie watching in your future, I envy you. Not knowing your taste, I can't say for sure which movies you are more inclined to like. I would say start with Jurassic Park. It's a pretty good crowd-pleaser. I noticed some Tarantino films on your list. I would say start with Reservoir Dogs. If you like that, move on to his other films. Some people either love or hate him.

I noticed some classic sci-fi franchises there. I would start with Alien. The first two are great then they fall apart. The first Predator is really good, but the second is just okay. Blade Runner is very different and I'm not sure if you will like that or not. Also, if you haven't seen those, it makes me wonder if you've seen The Terminator franchise. The first two are must sees. Goodfellas and Godfather are the staples of the mob genre.

This is a great thread. Even though I watch a ton of movies per year, there are still some classic films that I have yet to watch. I actually have Lawrence of Arabia from Netflix sitting on my table. I've tried to watch this film 2 times before and I've been unable to. Not because I didn't like it, but because it takes such a time commitment. Same goes for Chinatown.

I too have never seen the Harry Potter series. I'm hoping to read the books first, just hasn't happened yet. Damn you George R.R. Martin.Wow, Mike, you and I have such different perspectives! I barely agree with a thing you chose to say. Lawrence of Arabia takes commitment... but Chinatown? All you need the first time is a quiet room. (Probably at a family party, you could not follow and enjoy that, like you could The Sound of Music.) Same with Casablanca. Huge rewards if you can just leave the remote on top of the TV set.
I don't understand how any of you read that list and pick out Jurassic Park to be shocked that he's never seen! I might skip that one, and Harry Potter (read the Crichton and Rowling) although all of those are worth seeing. (Including, even, 1 or maybe 2 of both Alien and Predator.)
But my suggestion would be to watch Young Frankenstein! Mel Brooks's funniest, and that is saying something! After you find out how much you love it, also make sure not to miss:

Blazing Saddles
High Anxiety
The Producers (1968 )
Silent Movie
The Producers (2005)
History of the World: Part I
Spaceballs
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Dracula: Dead and Loving It

needfulthings
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
To really enjoy YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN one MUST have seen Universal's Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein and the same is true with HIGH ANXIETY the viewer must know HITCHCOCK films & if one has not seen STAR WARS A NEW HOPE they will not enjoy the jokes in SPACEBALLS.

pathoftheturtle
12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Very true... plus, Spaceballs also parodies half the rest of contemporary Sci-Fi. Not that I'd suggest subjecting yourself to all of that just to enjoy the relief in seeing it sent up. But if you have seen Star Wars: ANH, right there is your witness for a "Why does everyone else but me make such a big deal, anyway?" case.

Jimimck
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

Ones on your list I think you should watch immediately:
Aliens
Reservior Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Godfather 2
Pulp Fiction

Ones on your list I also haven't seen and keep getting told I should (but don't really want to)
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music

Others I haven't seen but the whole world seems to have:
Schindlers List
The King's Speech
Slumdog Millionaire
Rocky

Bethany
12-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I just did a quick test and I've seen 34 of the AFI's Top 100 Films. Does that tell you anything?

Jean
12-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I have seen 51

fernandito
12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't understand how any of you read that list and pick out Jurassic Park to be shocked that he's never seen! I might skip that one, and Harry Potter (read the Crichton and Rowling) although all of those are worth seeing. (Including, even, 1 or maybe 2 of both Alien and Predator.)

Why wouldn't we be shocked that he hasn't seen Jurassic Park? It's a well known and well loved blockbuster. It's constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. (which is amazing btw)

When people say to me "I haven't seen Casablanca" I'm in no way surprised because it's something that's not usually in the eye of the publics' collective consciousness outside of venues where film savy people discuss it, like here for instance. It's not a film that you're likely to come across unless you're actively looking for it.

Heather19
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Agreed, I watched it just to see it but didn't really enjoy any of it.

I would recommend to keep it that way. Although I think I am one of the 0.1% of people that absolutely hated the film.

Hey, I haven't seen The Shining woooo, freak out about it.

:panic:

...or A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Must watch both! Start with the first immediately as it is the season :D

I still have both of these to watch as well. I tried Lawrence of Arabia awhile back for Feev, but couldn't get through it. I need to find the time to sit down and give it my full attention.

Some of the big ones I can think of that I haven't seen would be:
The Sound of Music
Blade Runner
Godfather 2 and 3 (hated the first, so no intention of ever watching these two)
Harry Potter movies (saw the first and also hated it, never read the books or plan to, so these I won't be seeing either)
The last 2 Lord of the Rings movies (see above)

Melike
12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I haven't seen the Gladiator.

fernandito
12-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Don't talk to me.

Heather19
12-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Don't talk to me.

:couple:
At least I watched the first, right? I gave them a chance.

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Jurassic Park (is) constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. ......Which has all turned a fairly average movie into a highly annoying one. This seems to me like an ideal thread for pointing up what are the vastly overrated.

I haven't seen the Gladiator.Meh.

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I just did a quick test and I've seen 34 of the AFI's Top 100 Films. Does that tell you anything?

I have seen 51You talking about this list?
100 Greatest Movies - American Film Institute (PDF) (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afi.com%2Fdocs%2F100years%2Fm ovies100.pdf&ei=b5K_UL-RL4b9ygHPx4DwCA&usg=AFQjCNExR5TscJJVTxY8dP6Nk3BTP9crHA)
Uh... I've seen 97. Damn, maybe I watch too much TV.

Melike
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Don't talk to me.

And you didn't like?...

Jurassic Park (is) constantly being discussed, parodied and what have you, it's always a DVD-blu ray best seller etc., There's even a theme park ride for it. ......Which has all turned a fairly average movie into a highly annoying one. This seems to me like an ideal thread for pointing up what are the vastly overrated.

I haven't seen the Gladiator.Meh.
I know. :D

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I mean, I have seen Gladiator, but still meh. I've also seen many better movies with the same general setting which seem to be so much less popular.

fernandito
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Meh. I don't think it's annoying or overrated. It's perfectly situated.

fernandito
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Don't talk to me.

*SIGH* I GUESS SO.

And you did watch T2 so I suppose I can't be too mad at you :wub:

Heather19
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Don't talk to me.

And you didn't like?...

Yeah, I didn't care for either of them. I kinda knew going in, but watched them anyways.

Melike
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I mean, I have seen Gladiator, but still meh. I've also seen many better movies with the same general setting which seem to be so much less popular.

I agree. I just couldn't get my hands on it. I do not care to see it.

Bethany
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
No Star Trek
No Godfather
No James Bond
No LOTR

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Meh. I don't think it's annoying or overrated. It's perfectly situated.Cool. Welcome to different perspectives. I just don't understand it.

I'll tell you one thing, though: if you own a television in this country and you've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, you are not only just not trying, I suspect that you have actually been trying just to not.

fernandito
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't like different perspectives. I think they're average and annoying. Highly overrated too.

Heather19
12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
No Star Trek
No Godfather
No James Bond
No LOTR

I remember mentioning in another thread recently that I have never even seen one Bond film either.

Still Servant
12-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Wow, Mike, you and I have such different perspectives! I barely agree with a thing you chose to say. Lawrence of Arabia takes commitment... but Chinatown? All you need the first time is a quiet room. (Probably at a family party, you could not follow and enjoy that, like you could The Sound of Music.) Same with Casablanca. Huge rewards if you can just leave the remote on top of the TV set.
But my suggestion would be to watch Young Frankenstein! Mel Brooks's funniest, and that is saying something! After you find out how much you love it, also make sure not to miss:

Yeah, we do have very different taste in film. That's okay though. That's what makes it fun.

I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan. We gave my dad the Mel Brooks collection on DVD a few years back. I grew up watching those films with him. The reason I didn't chose to to recommend the Mel Brooks films to the original poster is because I just don't know his/her taste. I also don't know how old they are. These are very important because Mel Brooks is a style of comedy that is just not around anymore. I know that whenever I recommend a Mel Brooks fan to anybody younger than the age of 25, they usually don't like it. Like Needfullthings said, if you haven't seen the films that Brooks is trying to spoof, you might not be able to truly appreciate his brand of comedy. If I were to recommend a Brooks film to somebody who has never seen his work, I would probably start with some of his newer films like Spaceballs and Men in Tights. They are a little more accessible and mainstream. I've talked to a lot of people who watch Young Frankenstein and never watched another Brooks film because they didn't like it.

The reason why I picked Jurassic Park is because it's a big blockbuster film that holds your interest throughout. It's well paced and I just think it's an iconic film. I know you hate it, but I appreciate it for being a true crowd-pleaser it aims to be.

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I know he has teen children, from another thread. He lives in Illinois; I'm really surprised he is apparently so unfamiliar with cinema. I think Brooks's newer films are only more accessible to younger people, anyway, although I wonder if one could really appreciate Men in Tights if they were too little when Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was mainstream.

I don't appreciate crowd-pleasers very much. I understand exasperation with always hearing about what "everyone else has seen." This is cliché, but the difference is between "broad" and "deep" appeal. Some certain films are harder for a person to brush off when they have watched them. But in some other cases, he'd be justified, I think, to hold to his assumption that all hype is ultimately just hype.

I don't like different perspectives. I think they're average and annoying. Highly overrated too.OMG, since when did you decide to become that kinda crybaby?

fernandito
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Not a crybaby, your constant condescension just annoys the fucking shit out of me. How's that?

Odetta
12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
the only way to see Jurassic Park is on a big screen! If it is just on your TV, it is not the same!

As far as LOTR, I actually would say the first one is my least favorite of the trilogy! I like all of them, but 2 and 3 are better!

And, one thing (of many) that I like about living in California is that it is not such a horrible thing to like movies and TV! Even the blockbusters!

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Not a crybaby, your constant condescension just annoys the fucking shit out of me. How's that?Alright. Straightforwardness, I like.

I intended nothing personal against you. To me, it's just Spielberg who is condescending constantly...

Bethany
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM

I agree. I just couldn't get my hands on it. I do not care to see it.

Pffft, more Joaquin for me.

Odetta
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah! I loved Gladiator!

Emily
12-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I actually love Gladiator :blush: I really love anything that has to do with Rome, and even though the film is in almost no way historically accurate, it's still fantastically entertaining to me. It also has one of my favorite scores of any film.

And yes Bethany, Joaquin can get it any day of the goddamn week.

Still Servant
12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I intended nothing personal against you. To me, it's just Spielberg who is condescending constantly...

I will be interested in your opinion of Lincoln if and when you see it. It's probably the least commercial film he's done in years.

I also love Gladiator. I love films like that. Braveheart is another one of my favorites. Phoenix was so good in Gladiator. "AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!" Love that scene.

fernandito
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I fucking love Gladiator. All of the arena fight scenes are amazing to watch in high-definition.

Joe315
12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I have seen 20 of the AFI's top 100 and some of those were for school.

I have to rewatch Fargo, I don't remember it being all that great.

needfulthings
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
AFI TOP 100 Not only have I seen them all I own all 100 on DVD or BLU-RAY But what can I say I LOVE MOVIES.

THE TOP 10
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8485/dscn6858v.jpg

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I have to rewatch Fargo, I don't remember it being all that great.You know what? I wasn't sure that Fargo was all that great the first time, either. Rewatched, rethought, and finally decided that it is brilliant.

Still Servant
12-05-2012, 03:21 PM

I have to rewatch Fargo, I don't remember it being all that great.You know what? I wasn't sure that Fargo was all that great the first time, either. Rewatched, rethought, and finally decided that it is brilliant.

Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great. Sometimes time makes a film better. Especially if you watch a movie when you are young. I was 15 when I watched Braveheart with my dad and I thought it was so boring. I came back to it in my early 20's and I fell in love with it. Sometimes our brains develop to the point where we can really appreciate certain things.

Also, I've had Once Upon a Time in America on DVD for a few years now and I've yet to watch it.

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great.Well, whatta y'know? -- We have an agreement! :cool:

Emily
12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Also, I've had Once Upon a Time in America on DVD for a few years now and I've yet to watch it.

Now that is one movie that I truly loathe.

Still Servant
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great.Well, whatta y'know? -- We have an agreement! :cool:

Might be the first time in 5 years. :lol:

Tempus, did you see the original version of Once Upon a Time in America or the unedited version Leone intended to release but couldn't because of the studio?

Emily
12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
To be honest, I'm not positive on that. I'm assuming it was the original version, not the unedited one.

Joe315
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Same with me. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and I thought it was great. Sometimes time makes a film better. Especially if you watch a movie when you are young. I was 15 when I watched Braveheart with my dad and I thought it was so boring. I came back to it in my early 20's and I fell in love with it. Sometimes our brains develop to the point where we can really appreciate certain things.

I think I was 16 when I watched Fargo so its due for a rematch. I watched Braveheart with my dad when I was 8 or 9. He let us watch "historical" movies regardless of the rating.

Ricky
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I would recommend to keep it that way. Although I think I am one of the 0.1% of people that absolutely hated the film.

I'm in there with you.

I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life as well as Miracle on 34th Street (I've never seen that one either).

I'll tell you one thing, though: if you own a television in this country and you've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, you are not only just not trying, I suspect that you have actually been trying just to not.

That's an incredible accusation to make. That's like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it just to say you've never had a cheeseburger. Come on.

I remember mentioning in another thread recently that I have never even seen one Bond film either.

Add me to that list, too.

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2012, 06:06 PM

I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life as well as Miracle on 34th Street (I've never seen that one either).:doh:

That's an incredible accusation to make. That's like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it just to say you've never had a cheeseburger. Come on.No, it's only like saying if you're an American and never had a cheeseburger, you've been avoiding it, period. Nothing in there about why exactly you might have been avoiding it, just that it is hard to miss. I was being partly facetious, you see. Because it's shown so much every December. Get it? Ha-ha? Plus, it could be that one has just not gotten around to it, anyway, if that one happens to be still relatively young.

Odetta
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I own Fargo... I watch this movie a lot! The commentary is really good too! Interesting info.

Iwritecode
12-05-2012, 09:20 PM

Blazing Saddles
High Anxiety
The Producers (1968 )
Silent Movie
The Producers (2005)
History of the World: Part I
Spaceballs
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Spaceballs is actually one of my favorite movies of all time. I've also seen Blazzing Saddles, History of the World and Men in Tights. Young Frankenstein is just one that I've missed all these years for some odd reason.

Melike
12-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Everytime I try to watch Gladiator, some other great movie comes between. Well, after positive things you all said, especially Bethany's remark :D, I decided to try harder.

pathoftheturtle
12-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Spaceballs is actually one of my favorite movies of all time.I'm not surprised. I bet you still have an old Weird Al tape in a drawer somewhere, too.

carbinworld
12-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I really want to be the last person on the planet to see Titanic ;)

Bethany
12-06-2012, 06:46 AM
I fucking love Gladiator. All of the arena fight scenes are amazing to watch in high-definition.

*awesome high five that swings around and turns in to a "hell yeah" hug*

Is there a thread for movies everyone thinks is great but they're really overrated/pieces of crap? Or maybe a Donnie Darko thread, same difference.

Bethany
12-06-2012, 06:48 AM

The Jack/Rose story is ok for the first viewing. What I love is the historical aspect of the movie. I remember reading or hearing when the movie first came out that anything directly related to the ship in the movie was historically accurate.

pathoftheturtle
12-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah, and when it comes to human history, the minutia of the Titanic's voyage, of course, is the most worthwhile study of all!

pathoftheturtle
12-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Interestingly, however, I suddenly realized a few days ago that I somehow went from not liking Leonardo DiCaprio to accepting him, liking him, respecting him, up to being a fan, all without really noticing.

fernandito
12-06-2012, 08:52 AM

The Jack/Rose story is ok for the first viewing. What I love is the historical aspect of the movie. I remember reading or hearing when the movie first came out that anything directly related to the ship in the movie was historically accurate.

lol

http://www.onestophumour.com/images/1334742540-4300.jpg

Ricky
12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
That is hysterical. :rofl:

Bethany
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I WON'T LET GO!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/susanfox86/titanic-inception.jpg

fernandito
12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Ahahahaha!

Melike
12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
:rofl:

Iwritecode
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Spaceballs is actually one of my favorite movies of all time.I'm not surprised. I bet you still have an old Weird Al tape in a drawer somewhere, too.

Pfft, no.

I have it on DVD. :emot-roflolmao:

pathoftheturtle
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Another new thread idea! -- Music everyone except you listens to

Still Servant
12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I've had the Jack/Rose floating debris debate with my sister on numerous occasions. She feels they could have both fit on the piece of wood. I agree but counter with the fact that their combined weight would submerge the debris to the point where they would both be almost submerged. Without knowing the exact floating capabilities, there's no sure way to know how much it would be submerged.

She then counters with the fact that they could have taken turns on the floating object. I counter with the fact that they would both be dripping wet with near freezing water. The person on the wood who takes the turn on the debris who was just in the water would be drenched with cold water and probably freeze in a matter of minutes.

Yes, these are the things we discuss on a regular basis.

Girlystevedave
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life tomorrow night for the first time ever.

As far as naming movies I've not seen, the list goes on and on.

pathoftheturtle
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
The Unsinkable Molly Brown is classic. A wonderful musical, if you enjoy those at all.

"... The plot is a fictionalized account of the life of Margaret Brown, who survived the 1912 sinking of the RMS Titanic." -- the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unsinkable_Molly_Brown_%28film%29)(Sorry if I'm drifting off-topic.)

fernandito
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life tomorrow night for the first time ever.

I could have sworn me and you had a conversation about IAWL last year. Did you lie to me about having watched it!? Or maybe I'm thinking about someone else ...

No, I'm pretty sure you lied to me. :cyclops:

Odetta
12-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I've had the Jack/Rose floating debris debate with my sister on numerous occasions. She feels they could have both fit on the piece of wood. I agree but counter with the fact that their combined weight would submerge the debris to the point where they would both be almost submerged. Without knowing the exact floating capabilities, there's no sure way to know how much it would be submerged.

She then counters with the fact that they could have taken turns on the floating object. I counter with the fact that they would both be dripping wet with near freezing water. The person on the wood who takes the turn on the debris who was just in the water would be drenched with cold water and probably freeze in a matter of minutes.

They tested it on Mythbusters. They could both be on the wood and be reasonably out of the water.... Worked best with the life preserver put under the board for added buoyancy.

Girlystevedave
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM

I could have sworn me and you had a conversation about IAWL last year. Did you lie to me about having watched it!? Or maybe I'm thinking about someone else ...

No, I'm pretty sure you lied to me. :cyclops:

Yeah, that's logical.
Cause I've admitted to not seeing tons of movies, but I decided I had to lie about It's A Wonderful Life.

That's it. You've uncovered my life's secret. Now I'm ruined. I'm gonna have to leave the "I'm doing a good job at convincing Fernando that I've seen a classic film" club. :cyclops:

Still Servant
12-07-2012, 08:50 AM

They tested it on Mythbusters. They could both be on the wood and be reasonably out of the water.... Worked best with the life preserver put under the board for added buoyancy.

Did they really? I love that show, but have stopped watching it on a regular basis. Their tests are usually pretty accurate, so I believe them. Just don't tell my sister. :)

Ricky
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Bethany, your picture reminded me:

Titanic 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetaFnJ2TpQ)

I don't think it actually looks that bad. :lol:

Let me know how it is. You're going to be my guinea pig. You will be rewarded with Doritos.

Iwritecode
12-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Another new thread idea! -- Music everyone except you listens to

You should do it.

There are tons of popular artists that I'm not really into. I'll listen to their music sometimes but I've never bought any of their albums or songs.

Girlystevedave
12-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Bethany, your picture reminded me:

Titanic 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetaFnJ2TpQ)

I don't think it actually looks that bad. :lol:

Let me know how it is. You're going to be my guinea pig. You will be rewarded with Doritos.

I'm gonna hold you to that. :cyclops:

divemaster
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

Of these, I have not seen:

The Godfather trilogy. I know, I know. I loved Goodfellas and Casino. And Donnie Brasco. I thought The Sopranos was pretty good too. So obviously I am a fan of the genre. I actually have the Godfather DVD trilogy sitting on my shelf; just haven't gotten around to watching it. Maybe I'll make it my next project after I finish going through the 9-DVD Alien quadrilogy.

Gone with the Wind. I want to watch it, but I refuse to do so until I have read the book. So, book first, then movie. One day.

Any Harry Potter movies. I read the second book, and then the first. Ok kids stories but nothing that would compel me to watch 7 (?) movies about this guy and his little magical friends.

fernandito
12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Of these, I have not seen:

The Godfather trilogy. I know, I know. I loved Goodfellas and Casino. And Donnie Brasco. I thought The Sopranos was pretty good too. So obviously I am a fan of the genre. I actually have the Godfather DVD trilogy sitting on my shelf; just haven't gotten around to watching it. Maybe I'll make it my next project after I finish going through the 9-DVD Alien quadrilogy.

If you liked Goodfellas and Casino, then you'll almost certainly like The Godfather. Masterful film making by any standard.

Jean
12-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Any Harry Potter movies. I read the second book, and then the first. Ok kids stories but nothing that would compel me to watch 7 (?) movies about this guy and his little magical friends.Please, please read more!!!!!!!! I don't care a fuck about the movies, but the books are awesome starting right with book 3.

pathoftheturtle
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I just saw back-to-back previews for this year's new Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies. And people wonder why I hate it here.

ICry4Oy
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Never watched...

any Bond movies
any Godfather movies
Blues Brothers
The Notebook
Fight Club
anything Will Farrell
Chinatown
The English Patient

Tried a few times to watch but either lost interest or fell asleep...

Sound of Music
Bladerunner
Fantasia
Saturday Night Fever
2001 A Space Odyssey
West Side Story

pathoftheturtle
01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
The Blues Brothers is hilarious.

needfulthings
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/7117/img445r.jpg

Still Servant
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Never watched...

any Bond movies
any Godfather movies
Blues Brothers
The Notebook
Fight Club
anything Will Farrell
Chinatown
The English Patient

Sound of Music
Bladerunner
Fantasia
Saturday Night Fever
2001 A Space Odyssey
West Side Story

You should give Fight Club a shot. It might be one of those films that you surprisingly love. I love talking to people about Will Farrell, he seems to be one of those actors that just divides people. I can't tell you how many people I know in my life that absolutely hate Farrell. It's too bad because he has some pretty entertaining movies. The Other Guys, Anchorman, Elf, and Old School are all pretty funny movies.

divemaster
03-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I have not seen:

I finished the Godfather trilogy DVD set last month. All three movies; all three Coppolla commentaries; all bonus features. On a 5-star scale, I give The Godfather 4 stars; The Godfather Part II 4.5 stars and The Godfather Part III 3 stars.

Still Servant
03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
That's about what I'd rate them. Godfather 2 would be a 5 for me. I don't think Godfather 3 is as horrible as most people do either.

Mattrick
03-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Jean
03-09-2014, 01:53 AM
ditto

also Gravity

Never watched...
<...>
Chinatown
<...>
Sound of Music
<...>

grrrrr.....

Mattrick
03-10-2014, 02:49 PM
You have to watch Avatar so I can call Guiness as the only person to have never seen it!

Merlin1958
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
I have not seen:

I finished the Godfather trilogy DVD set last month. All three movies; all three Coppolla commentaries; all bonus features. On a 5-star scale, I give The Godfather 4 stars; The Godfather Part II 4.5 stars and The Godfather Part III 3 stars.

Have you ever seen the re-edited "The Godfather I/II" with new footage? It's worth hunting for. It's edited chronologically with a few key deleted scenes to reflect a actual timeline between the two films. Rather awesome IMHO

Odetta
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
I, as well, still haven't seen Avatar...

:)

fernandito
03-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I have not seen:

That's about what I'd rate them. Godfather 2 would be a 5 for me. I don't think Godfather 3 is as horrible as most people do either.
The firs two Godfather films are perfect 10's for me. 5/5's. 100/100's. Every thang. Masterpieces.

Mattrick
03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
I haven't watched the third one yet, but I like the first one just a little more than the second.

Heather19
03-11-2014, 02:33 PM

ditto

also Gravity

Please don't waste your time, the movie was horrible. I pretty much just went to see it to see what all the hype was about, and I still don't get it.

WeDealInLead
03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
There was one cool part with the floating islands or mountains in Avatar. It really looked spectacular. The rest of the movie was forgettable.

Gravity was great though.

mattgreenbean
03-12-2014, 05:37 AM
Finally saw Silence of The Lambs, I get some many references now.

webstar1000
03-12-2014, 05:45 AM
Finally saw Silence of The Lambs, I get some many references now.

AMAZING MOVIE....

frik
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM

ditto

also Gravity

Please don't waste your time, the movie was horrible. I pretty much just went to see it to see what all the hype was about, and I still don't get it.

Avatar was awesome. Amazing visuals, excellent story. Far from original, but so what.
Avatar did what it set out to do: entertain and amaze.

sk

ICry4Oy
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Never watched...

any Bond movies
any Godfather movies
Blues Brothers
The Notebook
Fight Club
anything Will Farrell
Chinatown
The English Patient

Sound of Music
Bladerunner
Fantasia
Saturday Night Fever
2001 A Space Odyssey
West Side Story

You should give Fight Club a shot. It might be one of those films that you surprisingly love. I love talking to people about Will Farrell, he seems to be one of those actors that just divides people. I can't tell you how many people I know in my life that absolutely hate Farrell. It's too bad because he has some pretty entertaining movies. The Other Guys, Anchorman, Elf, and Old School are all pretty funny movies.

I'll have to stay in the "hate Farrell" camp. The Anchorman previews just nearly nauseate me, much like the Austin Powers previews. Still don't care to see Fight Club, though I adore Edward Norton.

Heather19
03-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Never watched...

any Bond movies
any Godfather movies
Blues Brothers
The Notebook
Fight Club
anything Will Farrell
Chinatown
The English Patient

Sound of Music
Bladerunner
Fantasia
Saturday Night Fever
2001 A Space Odyssey
West Side Story

I'll have to stay in the "hate Farrell" camp. The Anchorman previews just nearly nauseate me, much like the Austin Powers previews. Still don't care to see Fight Club, though I adore Edward Norton.

I'm with you. Also add in Adam Sandler. Can't stand the guy, nor could I sit down and watch an entire film of his.

Why no desire to see Fight Club? I saw the movie way before I had read the book, or really knew anything about Chuck Palahniuk and his stories. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it, but I ended up loving it. I'd say give it a shot, it might surprise you.

Jean
03-12-2014, 11:38 PM
oops... bears loved the Wedding Singer... And Billy Madison too...

divemaster
03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Yeah, The Wedding Singer was great! Drew Barrymore was so cute in that.

Jean
03-13-2014, 06:32 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

Girlystevedave
03-13-2014, 06:45 AM
I like most Adam Sandler movies, but I don't really like Billy Madison. It's kind of obnoxious, in my opinion. :lol: I don't really like Happy Gilmore either.
Little Nicky is one of my favorites though. I don't think it's Adam Sandler that's so funny, but just the silliness of the movies.

Ricky
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't really like Happy Gilmore either.

:o

Girlystevedave
03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
:o yourself!

Ricky
03-13-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XgvHPt1cg

Girlystevedave
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Girlystevedave
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
It's sad that I didn't even have to hit play to crack up!

Ricky
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Along with her dance, that is my favorite Elaine-ism ever. :lol:

Girlystevedave
03-13-2014, 12:37 PM
It is hilarious.

This is my favorite Seinfeld moment. [the glasses part]
the quality is lame, but it's the only one I could find.

http://youtu.be/xfh3P0Rx8Gc

Odetta
03-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Happy Gilmore was the one Adam Sandler movie I really liked!
"The price is wrong, bitch!"

Ricky
03-14-2014, 07:56 AM
It is hilarious.

This is my favorite Seinfeld moment. [the glasses part]
the quality is lame, but it's the only one I could find.

http://youtu.be/xfh3P0Rx8Gc

There are so many good bits in that episode. That hotdog! :rofl:

Girlystevedave
03-14-2014, 08:07 AM
:lol: I know.

fernandito
03-14-2014, 08:10 AM
I like most Adam Sandler movies, but I don't really like Billy Madison. It's kind of obnoxious, in my opinion. :lol: I don't really like Happy Gilmore either.
Little Nicky is one of my favorites though. I don't think it's Adam Sandler that's so funny, but just the silliness of the movies.
I detest Adam Sandler, but for some $**)@#( reason I find myself quoting Billy Madison on a regular basis.

Fuck, it got to me.

Iwritecode
03-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Adam Sandler has a knack for getting some really good looking women to play his wife/gf.

Just off the top of my head he's had Drew Barrymore (twice), Salma Hayek, Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Aniston, Brooklyn Decker, Courtney Cox, Téa Leoni & Bridgett Wison

fernandito
03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Salma Hayek...

Ahhhhh......

Randall Flagg
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM

fernandito
03-14-2014, 01:17 PM
I know people love to hate on that film but let me say that as a theater viewing experience, Avatar was phenomenal.

I'm not an advocate of 3D in any way, but that film opened my eyes to the wonderful results that that particular filming method can yield when used appropriately.

needfulthings
03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

"NEVER SAY NEVER"
http://imageshack.com/a/img844/1979/0y6d.jpg

needfulthings
03-14-2014, 03:05 PM
I know people love to hate on that film but let me say that as a theater viewing experience, Avatar was phenomenal.

I'm not an advocate of 3D in any way, but that film opened my eyes to the wonderful results that that particular filming method can yield when used appropriately.

ME TOO!
LOL
http://imageshack.com/a/img577/7624/ihkm.jpg

Iwritecode
06-08-2016, 12:10 PM

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

Updating my list. Although there are still probably many more I could add to it.

Tommy
06-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Amadeus
The Sound of Music
Spartacus
Rudy
Life is Beautiful
Toy Story 2 and 3

DanHocker
06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
The Godfather trilogy and really all those mob crime movie. I've just never been interested in mob movie and honestly will probably never see them.

Shannon
06-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Gone With The Wind
Casablanca
Citizen Kane

That being said, I literally have 1,291 titles on my "Available To Watch - MOVIE" list. Just counted.

Tommy
06-08-2016, 01:31 PM
I've seen Citizen Kane and Casablanca each about 40 times. Gone with the Wind maybe three or four times all the way through.

Heather19
06-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Gone With The Wind
Casablanca
Citizen Kane

That being said, I literally have 1,291 titles on my "Available To Watch - MOVIE" list. Just counted.

Ok Shannon, we can't talk until you watch Citizen Kane. How has a movie guy like you never seen that one?!?

The other two I wouldn't rush to see. Casablanca was good, but nothing spectacular, and Gone with the Wind was horrible.

Iwritecode, what did you think of Reservoir Dogs?

Mattrick
06-11-2016, 10:54 PM
I only just watched Citizen kane recently.

Will never watch Dances With Smurfs.

Iwritecode
01-15-2021, 11:32 AM
Discussion in the greatest movie tournament thread reminded me of this thread. I haven't updated my original list in a little while.

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Citizen Kane
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
2001: A Space Odyssey
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Silence of the Lambs
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

I had Jurassic Park on my DVR for a few months but I think I eventually deleted it.

I watched the first half of Pulp Fiction.

There are probably a bunch more movies I could still add to this list.

Heather19
01-15-2021, 12:13 PM
The Sound of Music
Blade Runner
Harry Potter movies (saw the first and also hated it, never read the books or plan to, so these I won't be seeing either)

Here's my old list. Watched Blade Runner and wasn't really a fan. I should probably watch Sound of Music at some point. The others I still have no desire to watch.

Heather19
01-15-2021, 12:15 PM
Discussion in the greatest movie tournament thread reminded me of this thread. I haven't updated my original list in a little while.

It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Sound of Music
Citizen Kane
Jurassic Park
Any of the Alien movies
2001: A Space Odyssey
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspects
Young Frankenstein
The Silence of the Lambs
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

I had Jurassic Park on my DVR for a few months but I think I eventually deleted it.

I watched the first half of Pulp Fiction.

There are probably a bunch more movies I could still add to this list.

Jurassic Park and Pulp Fiction are both great films. I hope you give them a chance at some point. I would also highly recommend Citizen Kane. I think that's a film that everyone should see, it really is a masterpiece in filmmaking. I have a feeling it's probably not your type of film though, but I could be wrong.

Br!an
01-15-2021, 01:02 PM
The Sound of Music
Blade Runner

Here's my old list. Watched Blade Runner and wasn't really a fan. I should probably watch Sound of Music at some point. The others I still have no desire to watch.

The Sound of Music is one of the all time greatest films.