PDA

View Full Version : Hax (and the other names)

Letti
12-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Why the blue hell did Roland cry out the name of the cook, Hax at the Tower? He cried out his friends' his mates' and his loves' names... why was Hax there?

Jean
12-22-2007, 02:36 AM
I never could understand how that list was made (I started a thread on that at .net, and there have been a few theories, none of them 100% satisfactory). One thing I can say for Hax is that he was definitely one of those who died on Roland's way to the Tower.

Letti
12-22-2007, 02:44 AM
I never could understand how that list was made (I started a thread on that at .net, and there have been a few theories, none of them 100% satisfactory). One thing I can say for Hax is that he was definitely one of those who died on Roland's way to the Tower.

So did Mordred. And he wasn't in the list.

Will
12-22-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm pretty rusty on my DT, but wasn't Hax's death a big milestone for Roland, loss-of-innocence type thing? That might default him onto the VIP list.

My answer to Mordred is that he sucked. If some cannibalistic demon-spider offspring came at me and my friends, I'd be like "Screw that guy."

Brice
12-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I think maybe in some ways Hax set him on his path at least in his mind. Plus he did seem to have some fondness for him despite the need to turn him in for his betrayal.

jayson
12-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I think maybe in some ways Hax set him on his path at least in his mind. Plus he did seem to have some fondness for him despite the need to turn him in for his betrayal.

I think this was in many ways Roland's first real step towards the Tower. Hax was the first person Roland "killed" for he knew what end would come of his telling. At that young age, Roland chose to actively participate in the wars of his father(s). The crying I think showed that despite this adult choice, he was still very much a boy.

Matt
12-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree, perhaps he felt a bit guilty for squealing on Hax even after all those years.

Also interesting about that is Roland must call Hax's name every time he gets there because the event is so early in his ultimate quest.

Jean
12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Also interesting about that is Roland must call Hax's name every time he gets there because the event is so early in his ultimate quest.
!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Wuducynn
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Hmmmmmmm, this makes me think.

Letti
12-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Or maybe when he was there - at the Dark Tower - he was a little bit like a child in his soul... it was his dream all in his life and in the poem we can read: "Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came"
And the child or childe soul of Roland still loved Hax.
Just a thought... :)

Jean
12-25-2007, 04:29 AM
it's a good thought, but I'm afraid "childe" means just a descendant of noble family, as (another example) in Byron's Childe Harold. They had that "Childe" before their proper name until they at last inherited the title, or before being knighted, or before something else happened, I forget now which - it didn't depend on their actual age anyway.

Letti
12-25-2007, 04:51 AM
You must be right, Jean - you know much more than me but as I have read altought childe doesn't mean a child it does mean a young man.

Jean
12-25-2007, 06:25 AM
yes, you're right as usual http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
12-25-2007, 08:49 AM
But a young man is not a child... so thank you, Jean for the correction.

Brice
12-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Sometimes a child can be a young man. Maybe you are both partially right. :)

ManOfWesternesse
12-31-2007, 05:30 AM
I have to admit that it annoys me greatly that Roland should sing the name of Hax at the Tower, and sing it in the company of all those names deserving of being sung there.
The young, un-tried, Roland liked the cook for simple childish reasons at one time, but the Roland who reached the Tower knew him for the traitor he was. He always made a great deal about the fact that he would sing names at the Tower "... there I will sing their names..." , that it seems an insult to them to sing Hax's name in their midst - never mind the insult to those who's names are not sung, but might have been...

I have wondered if this was just an oversight by king, but it seems unlikely - so it would be interesting to hear his reasoning on it...

jayson
12-31-2007, 05:35 AM
I have to admit that it annoys me greatly that Roland should sing the name of Hax at the Tower, and sing it in the company of all those names deserving of being sung there.
The young, un-tried, Roland liked the cook for simple childish reasons at one time, but the Roland who reached the Tower knew him for the traitor he was. He always made a great deal about the fact that he would sing names at the Tower "... there I will sing their names..." , that it seems an insult to them to sing Hax's name in their midst - never mind the insult to those who's names are not sung, but might have been...

I have wondered if this was just an oversight by king, but it seems unlikely - so it would be interesting to hear his reasoning on it...

I still think it is Roland not honoring Hax the person, but his own decision to turn in Hax as the "official" beginning of his road to the Tower. I don't think Roland was equating Hax with the others who helped him on his road, but just naming Hax as his first kill on this road.

ManOfWesternesse
12-31-2007, 05:57 AM
I do see your point R_of_G, and had seen your post before I posted above, but (cry-yer-pardon) I just don't agree.
What was Hax? - an employee of the Court in Gilead who turned traitor for The Good Man. He was to be a link in a delivery chain that would have brought poisoned meat to be eaten by free men,women and children of ... where was it... not Gilead itself but a nearby village??
OK he was 'significant' to Roland because of the act of turning him in for certain hanging, and we get an insight into that by the way Steven Deschain reacts to Roland's decision to report him, and his desire to know Roland's reasons...

... but why would any of this make him so significant on Rolands path to the Tower that he should sing his name before the Tower? (I take this singing of names before the Tower very seriously - in case it had escaped yer attention :lol: )
...maybe I'm missing a point somewhere...?

jayson
12-31-2007, 06:07 AM
What was Hax?

Like I said, I tend to think Roland sees Hax as the first real step on his path. As the first death Roland was responsible for causing, I think he knows that in many ways his childhood ended that day, not the day he bested Cort, or the day he rode for Mejis. That day he became more the son of Stephen Deschain than he could just by being an apprentice gunslinger. By turning in Hax, Roland declared his fathers' enemies his own and began his lieflong quest. I think the crying of Hax's name is Roland acknowledging his first kill in the name of the Tower.

Either that or he was so tired when he got there that he forgot who was who but he once knew someone named Hax so out the name came... lol

Seriously though, because it disturbed me at first that Hax' name was spoken along with the others so I did a lot of thinking on why Roland says it. The above is the most plausible theory I've come up with. Surely Roland didn't forgive Hax and equate him with the others because if he did I wonder if the Tower door ever would have opened to him.

Brice
12-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Or if maybe it would have opened putting him at the beginning of another loop, maybe? :lol:

Matt
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I think he called the names of the people he felt like he "ran over" to get to the Tower and somewhere in his mind he felt that way about Hax.

I mean, Roland told on him and they hung his ass. That is got to stay with you no matter how bad a guy Hax was.

ManOfWesternesse
01-01-2008, 06:33 AM
I dunno - it still does'nt hang well with me.
It does not fit with the same logic as the other names he sings there (I'd have to go look at the book to see them all - but I'm pretty sure Hax is the odd-one-out by a country mile!)

Jean
01-01-2008, 06:43 AM
there's hardly any "same logic" that would cover all of those names

I agree with Matt; moreover, for me Hax is one of the most prominent victims of the events. He is epitomy of betrayal - which something that will always accompany Roland on his way towards the Dark Tower - but he is also someone who, like so many, will fall under the axe wielded by the forces too big for him to comprehend (Roland, by the way, being one of those forces, although he can hardly comprehend them at that moment). No, I don't really know why Hax was there, but I always felt it was right; it just rang true to me.

Darkthoughts
01-01-2008, 09:33 AM

:rofl: Was that a deliberate pun?

ManOfWesternesse
01-01-2008, 12:20 PM

:rofl: Was that a deliberate pun?

No! - I had'nt noticed! Good spot! :lol:

Darkthoughts
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
That made me chuckle! :D

Matt
01-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes, very well done!

<--loves a good pun--even better unintended

Letti
01-01-2008, 01:47 PM
It does not fit with the same logic as the other names he sings there (I'd have to go look at the book to see them all - but I'm pretty sure Hax is the odd-one-out by a country mile!)

I feel the same way, Brian.

Thank you for all of your posts guys. I have read them all but still I have no peace with it - however usually I can accept such stuff quite easily.

To The Dark Tower Came
01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
[quote=ManOfWesternesse;85063]I dunno - it still does'nt hang well with me.

I have to agree, though with many of the "path starter" posts. I view Hax as representing a lesson to Roland. The son of the most noble family, Roland was still in childhood and was casting about for people to take the place of his father, whom was not only leader of Roland's world (or close to), but juggling uprising, and probably not around to be a father to Roland.

Cort was the discipline, Vannay the thoughtful/philosophical side, and perhaps Hax filled a portion as well. As we know, Roland had a way of bonding with people and to him as well. When Hax betrays Roland's world, it's a part of Roland that gets sent to the gallows. Tossing pieces of bread at the man's feet bids farewell to this aspect that Hax was, to that it will be scattered by the birds.

When he cries Hax's name at the Tower, he cries out a piece of himself, some aspect of Roland. Roland calls out his and all their names because they are all Roland, parts of Roland that should be.

ManOfWesternesse
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I get the 'path starter' idea - and you've put it well there - maybe even clarified it a bit for me.
I guess I just ain't a fan of the idea,
...but then the different possibilities of interpretation is one of the things that make King such a great artist.

To The Dark Tower Came
01-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I get the 'path starter' idea - and you've put it well there - maybe even clarified it a bit for me.
I guess I just ain't a fan of the idea,
...but then the different possibilities of interpretation is one of the things that make King such a great artist.

I can understand that. I goes against a sense of justice. Someone does wrong and we shouldn't include them when naming those who are "good".

I'm not always sure people will understand what I write...lol. Not for any profoundity on my part, but because I tend to blather and make long posts explaining the things behind them.

ATG
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty rusty on my DT, but wasn't Hax's death a big milestone for Roland, loss-of-innocence type thing? That might default him onto the VIP list.

My answer to Mordred is that he sucked. If some cannibalistic demon-spider offspring came at me and my friends, I'd be like "Screw that guy."

He was the first person he killed? Had killed ?

obscurejude
01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe Roland had just forgotten to eat because of his excitement upon reaching the last leg of his quest. Hax conjured up memories of baked pastries. Maybe the Tower is really a personal metaphor for the fulfillment of our deepest hungers, spiritually as well as physically. Maybe Gan will wise up and give Roland more than just the Horn of Eld on the next cycle- something a little more satisfying than gunslinger burritos. In this sense, Roland's quest begins and ends will an insatiable appetite. I'm surprised that all of you are surprised by Hax's name. It didn't surprise me...it just made me hungry. I think its possible that the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni. "Ka like a wind of Old Bay seasoning." In this universe, the cancellation of Emeril would be the event that caused the world to "move on."

obscurejude
01-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Mordred was a hongry, but we must remember that Roland apparently was too.

Letti
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
"the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni." - literally? :lol:

obscurejude
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
"the Tower might exist in some universe as a mega pizza place in a field of pepperoni." - literally? :lol:

Most def.

nusik
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Why didn't he cry Patrick Danville's name? I mean, without him Roland never would have made it to the Tower. To ME, he was even more important to the series than Susannah, to ME. idk. thoughts?

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
He wasn't going to the Tower for Patrick. He was going to the Tower for and because of all the other people he named.

obscurejude
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
What Monte said. Patrick wasn't a sacrifice.

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
The list of names he would need to call would require a data base of all of SK's characters. From Carrie White to whoever the least character of Duma Key (which i haven't got to yet) is... they are all a part of the mythos and make up of The Dark Tower. Patrick was one of a multitude. I personally was pissed that he didn't cry out Jack Sawyer.

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
The list of names he would need to call would require a data base of all of SK's characters. From Carrie White to whoever the least character of Duma Key (which i haven't got to yet) is... they are all a part of the mythos and make up of The Dark Tower. Patrick was one of a multitude. I personally was pissed that he didn't cry out Jack Sawyer.

I couldn't disagree more. While nearly all of King's work can be said to be part of the mythos of The Dark Tower, the characters within them are not the reason Roland goes to the Tower. That is why they don't matter and he need not cry their names.

Wuducynn
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I couldn't disagree more. While nearly all of King's work can be said to be part of the mythos of The Dark Tower, the characters within them are not the reason Roland goes to the Tower. That is why they don't matter and he need not cry their names.

Yeah, its about the folk throughout his life that made him who he was.

obscurejude
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Hax, was definitely the most important name. :)

mia/susannah
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I tend to agree with Monte.

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Roland goes because he has to. Which make the "roll call" irrevelant. It could be any... It could be ALL..:pirate:

Wuducynn
03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Roland goes because he has to. Which make the "roll call" irrevelant. It could be any... It could be ALL..:pirate:
The Calling the Names part isn't irrelevant, Mr. I'm Not As Think As You Drunk I Am.
He's honoring those who were sacrificed on his quest and those who made him who he is, as he has promised to do many times before.

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Well said CK. Well said. :cool:

obscurejude
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Hear, Hear.

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
The Calling the Names part isn't irrelevant, Mr. I'm Not As Think As You Drunk I Am.
He's honoring those who were sacrificed on his quest and those who made him who he is, as he has promised to do many times before.

:rock: RIGHT!

Wuducynn
03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I want three................

dozen

of whatever Childe's been knocking down tonight... :rock:

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Me too, but I'd probably avoid the message boards afterwards to allow for serious, easy-flowing discussion. ;) :)

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
I want three................

dozen

of whatever Childe's been knocking down tonight... :rock:

Shoot em up :)

and lets slumber away

sarah
03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
He wasn't going to the Tower for Patrick. He was going to the Tower for and because of all the other people he named.

I feel the same way. Why call all the people that helped him get to Tower? I think he called the names of the people that most influenced him on his way. Patrick didn't do much of that and plus he was sort of weird. :lol:

nusik
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM

I feel the same way. Why call all the people that helped him get to Tower? I think he called the names of the people that most influenced him on his way. Patrick didn't do much of that and plus he was sort of weird. :lol:

didnt do that much? sorry, but that is a retarted statement. roland couldn't have reached the Tower without him erasing Los'. but I guess the Tower isn't important, I mean its only Roland's lifelong quest, pfshh Tower.

MonteGss
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM

didnt do that much? sorry, but that is a retarted statement. roland couldn't have reached the Tower without him erasing Los'. but I guess the Tower isn't important, I mean its only Roland's lifelong quest, pfshh Tower.

Nice! Insulting others' opinions! :cool: Good start! (sarcasm)

Simple fact...Roland didn't go to the Tower for Patrick. His lifelong quest, as you say, had nothing to do with Patrick. So, he isn't important enough for Roland to say his name. Simple really.

Ford
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I got the impression that Roland for whatever reason didn't like Patrick very much. He said the Billy Bumbler was worth more.

ATG
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I got the impression that Roland for whatever reason didn't like Patrick very much. He said the Billy Bumbler was worth more.

I think he was annoyed he helped Susanna get away.

obscurejude
03-27-2008, 07:39 PM

I think he was annoyed he helped Susanna get away.

I should be re reading this soon. Its interesting, I look forward to it.

Letti
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Roland cried the names he had to cry. What he felt. We can ask questions... why he cried Hax and why he didn't cry Patrick but in fact we must accept that he cried out the names that were deep in his heart.

Letti
03-27-2008, 11:11 PM

For him Oy did mean more. But it's natural. Oy saved his life and he had been the part of his ka-tet for long so for me it's not surprising.

Storyslinger
03-28-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm going to agree with Monte's first post.

sarah
03-28-2008, 06:33 AM

All I meant was that Patrick didn't do much to influence Roland. He was just another person who was in his path to the Tower. Like many others that helped Roland get to where he needed to go, so did Patrick. Was Roland supposed to make a list and sit at the foot of the Tower and yell everyones names who crossed his path in the 1000 or so years it took him to get there? I personally don't think so.

Roland cried the names he had to cry. What he felt. We can ask questions... why he cried Hax and why he didn't cry Patrick but in fact we must accept that he cried out the names that were deep in his heart.

Exactly, Letti. Well said. And thank you for saying it so nicely too. :)

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 06:37 AM
I always knew Sarah was "very special".

jayson
03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
maybe Roland figured since Patrick was right there within sight of the Tower he didn't have to call his name because the Tower knew he was right there and saw him help. ...yes, i am being at least partially facetious.:shoot:

Letti
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
At that moment... when he was there in front of the Tower I don't the he was conscious. He was no more than flesh with tons of oppressed feelings. He didn't think, he got rid of his chains that one was the freest moment of his life.
He cried out the names he found in his heart.

(I think Roland needs time to love.
I am sure he liked Patrick but they didn't spend enough time together. They met too late at the end of the path.)

Jean
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Was Roland supposed to make a list and sit at the foot of the Tower and yell everyones names who crossed his path in the 1000 or so years it took him to get there? I personally don't think so.
Actually, knowing his meticulous nature, that's what I would expect him to do.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
At that moment... when he was there in front of the Tower I don't the he was conscious. He was no more than flesh with tons of oppressed feelings. He didn't think, he got rid of his chains that one was the freest moment of his life.
He cried out the names he found in his heart.

This is how I saw it also. Also, the names that he found in his heart were those that were part of what shaped him and his quest.

sarah
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
all_hail... get outta my head.

Jean
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't think so. I am sure that list was something he kept thinking of, and repeating to himself all through the quest. However exhausted, confused, torn apart by contradictory feelings, he was still a gunslinger, who was taught, and who learned very well (the last survivor, remember?) to do exactly what he intended to; I am sure he could get it together at that most important moment of his life.

Letti
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think so. I am sure that list was something he kept thinking of, and repeating to himself all through the quest.

Roland repeating something to himself? I cannot imagine that.

Jean
03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I can, and easily. I am sure that's the way he was getting through all Vannay's subject... slowly but steadily

Letti
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
It's interesting to see that you can imagine such a thing... we have never read about it in the books and for me Roland is simply not that tpye of guy who would repeat anything to himself.
If you ask me if he had to remember 15 numbers to get into somewhere he would never think of it just when he is there and he would think ka helps him to remember, but he would never repeat those numbers to himself. There (at the door) he would see how he can manage.

I think he passad Vannay's subject because he is not stupid and he always knew enough to be able to pass - no more. He wasn't be best... maybe he was the worst but he knew enough to pass.

Roland is the man of the moment to me.

Storyslinger
03-31-2008, 08:41 AM

Right, It was ka. :evil: :couple:

Letti
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM

I said everything but this. :rolleyes:

Jean
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
and what you said described your position (even if I don't agree with it) quite accurately without dragging in any superfluous entities.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Storyslinger
04-01-2008, 05:03 AM

I said everything but this. :rolleyes:

:lol: I know dear. Sorry. :huglove:

It is very well stated though, and I do agree with the point.

lisaki
11-07-2009, 05:20 AM
In the official end thread I wrote this:

I felt he forgot to call the names of some really important characters when he reached the tower. Why did he call Dinky Earnshaw, for instance, and not Patrick who saved him at the end? He didn't call only dead people names... Why didn't he call the name of the brave Margaret Eisenhart or Rosalita? What about Moses, Deepnau, and mostly Cullum?
And I wonder what do you feel about it. Got the feeling that SK was in a rush when writing this otherwise incredibly strong part of the story. Whose name do you feel Roland should call in front of the Tower, but didn't?
I'm sorry if there's a similar thread, or discussion, I'm still a little lost in the forums.

Brice
11-07-2009, 05:50 AM
He didn't call Randall Flagg's name. :(

Jean
11-07-2009, 01:28 PM
In the official end thread I wrote this:

I felt he forgot to call the names of some really important characters when he reached the tower. Why did he call Dinky Earnshaw, for instance, and not Patrick who saved him at the end? He didn't call only dead people names... Why didn't he call the name of the brave Margaret Eisenhart or Rosalita? What about Moses, Deepnau, and mostly Cullum?.
I always thought he called the names only of those he actually saw dead, or who died because of him, through him, and within what he could reasonably call "his lifetime".
I have other problems with the list of the names, but I think there is a thread somewhere (or am I thinking about .net again? I know that I had started the "Whose Names" thread at .net myself, but I think there must be a similar one here; I'll look tomorrow morning)

lisaki
11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
those he actually saw dead, or who died because of him
No :) He called the names of Ted, Dinky and Suzannah...

Bev Vincent
11-07-2009, 03:09 PM
In the first draft, he omitted a very important name!

sarajean
11-07-2009, 03:38 PM

talitha unwin?

Wuducynn
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Matthew Son of Kenneth?

Letti
11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey lisaki, that part always made me wonder, too. Here is a long thread about the same topic: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1683
You may find it interesting. But don't worry in some days we will merge them.

Anyway I am still not sure why Roland called the names he did but I am sure there are no mistakes. It's such an important part... why would King have been in a rush? You know he is the wordslinger so he sings what happens to Roland.. if he wrote it this way that how it must have happened. It may sound a bit silly but what I mean is that there are good reasons for the names. I am absolutely sure about it.

May we know which?

(I am sorry but I edited the title a little bit, it may not have been a spoiler but just to be in the safe side I made it less detailed)

lisaki
11-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Anyway I am still not sure why Roland called the names he did but I am sure there are no mistakes. It's such an important part... why would King have been in a rush? You know he is the wordslinger so he sings what happens to Roland.. if he wrote it this way that how it must have happened.

Thanks for the link Letti :)
Im sure he wasn't in a rush, I just say that he gives that impression...

candy
11-08-2009, 09:04 AM

who? who was it? :orely: my minds a blank

Sam
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Jake maybe?

Or did Roland forget his father's name?